Demo day is 3 days away edition

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Links
>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/
>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY 2ND
Polite reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can (even if it's just your game page)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/urrnbtayektgpxg/MemoirsOfMagicDemo.rar?dl=0
github.com/godotengine/godot/commit/9bd402698cfa299b79b9144f8d7744c308a4e085
github.com/godotengine/escoria
godotengine.org/article/dlscript-here
store.steampowered.com/app/793620/Hellbreaker/
youtube.com/watch?v=fbCG8_neZQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=1LVYxj2nkpU
youtube.com/watch?v=oOTlHmWkcJw
youtube.com/watch?v=FD-xhIDplmI
youtube.com/watch?v=kLSY2y11-Fw
youtube.com/watch?v=B7d8nO2I5o4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZnAAEonOdiw
youtube.com/watch?v=ZtIbDo-9VLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=roTJX0L37pk
youtube.com/watch?v=eLEoZKYZiPw
cs.ubc.ca/~snoeyink/demos/convdecomp/MCDDemo.html
mpen.ca/406/keil
jagt.github.io/clumsy/
twitter.com/reduzio/status/958305883976536064
twitter.com/reduzio/status/958314815340072960
gitgud.io/moon-men/moonman-doom/blob/master/PK3/acs/moonpick.acs
gitgud.io/moon-men/moonman-doom/blob/master/PK3/actors/weaponspawn_new.dec
godotengine.org/article/godot-3-0-released#gdnative
dropbox.com/s/pcq5sc3rlsvdjnw/Aseprite-v1.2.3-Portable.zip?dl=0
hastebin.com/enibefodot
hastebin.com/sikuhizere.ini
hollaforums.com/thread/13568582/video-games/what-did-kojima-mean-by-this-during-his-trip-to.html
advsys.net/ken/voxlap.htm
hastebin.com/oxihijopem
poal.me/n268fg
khronos.org/sycl
steamcommunity.com/games/404790/announcements/detail/1442696667797281029
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/keywords/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/operators/index
meta-toolkit.org
assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/sabrecsg-level-design-tools-47418
hastebin.com/webalurafe.gd
github.com/kubecz3k/FiniteStateMachine).
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm not going to make it in time for demo day. Again.

Keep working anyway so you have a demo done a few days late, which you can use as a backup demo for the next demoday. Stop thinking "I have this long to make something" and just make the damn thing ASAP, then improve it with the rest of your time.

MoM user here, with the Memoirs of Magic Demo!
dropbox.com/s/urrnbtayektgpxg/MemoirsOfMagicDemo.rar?dl=0

IMPORTANT: Use the EXE file to launch this game. This project has been tailor made specifically to be presented and run in a specific way which all the options have modified for. Running it any other way may cause undesired effects or oddities!

Make sure to report any spelling errors or bugs to me so I can fix them. A word of the wise though; this game is pretty tough, so keep that in mind when you go into it!… In addition to this, this demo does support multiplayer. If you were to do such things, I would recommended using Zdooms/GZDooms multiplayer function, as this game was built around it with that in mind. They will most likely be issues if you play with over 8 people!

I am curious as to what you all think too, so feel free to share your thoughts or ask any questions here, as I will be more then happy to answer any questions in regard to this demo!

It should ALSO be noted that this demo covers they first 1/5th of the game, so you should have a pretty good idea if you like this game or not based on the demo!

An oversight I made is that I actually included the backup file inside of the rar, which doubled the memory size. If you are to include this in demo day, it'd be wise to remove said backup file (It should be in the folder listed as MemoirsOfMagic.pk3.bak)

Other then that, I hope you all have fun with the experience. As stated above, you are free to include this for Demo Day!

Eventually, I want to rewrite my game in JAI.
It seems like the best combination of low-level and high-level programming, and the compile times are low enough to keep iteration speed high.
Might be a bit of a learning curve, but jblow is shipping his whole engine with the language as well, source code and all.

Anyone have any knowledge on intelligent ways to define boundaries in an isometric 3D game that's not constrained to a grid? Currently, I've just got invisible triangles that I have to place around the map manually, which is tedious as hell.

Happy birthday, MoM user!

Think of how Mario 64 does it, where you define the level geometry itself as passable and everything outside of it is automatically impassible as a result.

Oh shit, I might be able to make that work in my case. I'll give it a shot. Thanks, user.

I've buffed Blaz a little more, his fists now create a little shockwave effect when punching enemies, staggering nearby foes too, I've also buffed his sword throw and given him a devastating double lariat.
I've also tweaked the Doomslayer more, he has new altfires for his shotguns and chaingun: he draws his sword for two quick swipes, which can be used to cancel animations from the shotguns.
I've also altered some monsters a little more, Bomber knights are less annoying to deal with and when bonelords die they crumple into glowing bones, if you don't finish them off they'll get back up to mock you, have some gameplay of Sunder with Doomslayer as well

Oh thank you!

Unfortunately I was mostly sick yesterday, but I just hope people have been enjoying the demo!

im a bit stuck, also alot of stuff been happening irl. so how does this look, is the ear too big?, i've been having trouble with getting it in the right position, and something is pissing me, telling me that it is not right, but i cant tell why.

github.com/godotengine/godot/commit/9bd402698cfa299b79b9144f8d7744c308a4e085

Why in dog's name are you modeling out an ear instead of using texturing?

This better be for practice.

i messed with a song from pinball dreams to make it a bit longer

Happy birthday MoMdev, I'll need to try and find time to play it!

I think when I make the jump to doing my own real 3D engine I'll do the same. Looking forward to seeing what sort of performance I can squeeze out of it.

I was watching a description presentation video about godot3
and they mentioned this framework for helping with VN alike games
basically natural scripting much alike Renpy, inherit from the templates, but still have all the depth of godot for other stuff
< github.com/godotengine/escoria

I remember some user asking in another thread, I also would have liked to known this earlier
may be of interest to anyone else

Link me to that video? I've been holding off any serious gamedev projects until Godot 3 came out and so I'm up for anything regarding it.

the video in question is just a presentation with a stronk europoor accent, its even kinda old
Godot 3 is gud, and should handle most that you can throw at it, what specifically were you thinking?

And how exactly do you think he will get the normal map for that texture?
You make a high poly model to generate normalmaps from, and a lowpoly model to apply them to and animate.

I'm implementing a wind effect in YUME, but did not yet limit it to just grass. Now the rocks look like they're made of jelly!

lol, bretty good user
also, use webm niggah

I have a few ideas I'd been wanting to throw at it. First being my mecha game project. Which in short:
The other being a third person shooter where the unique gameplay element is projectile based weapons and leading your targets. It started as me doing a game design document for "Dark Souls but With Guns" as a joke but then I got carried away and made a gameplay premise I actually thought seemed neat.

Use it to make slime enemies that jiggle.

I'm now pronouncing YUME as 'yummy.' What's your game about, user?

I've seen you talk about this idea a bunch of times and I'll be completely honest

Dividing gameplay in sections is incredibly fucking annoying. Two is already a lot to handle and to make work, with three fuck man then it's almost certainly going to be shit.
Just make a mech game, then expand from that, it's very likely you won't be able to make all three work if this is your first project either way

The third thing was a different game idea entirely. The mecha game only has two gameplay sections at most. I already have it figured out that the management half of the game might be too much and I might be better off making a more arcade like game for a first project for the sake of it being easier to manage.
I dream big, but I'm not stupid.

I wish people posted here more often. I've been working on my game not sure I'll be able to release a demo

I'd post more often but there's not much to see in my case. I'm just trying to unfuck Love2d's bugged keyboard input detection, and it's pissing me off.

I've never had any problems with it, what are you having trouble with?

Tried using love.keyboard.isDown, as well as love.keypressed and love.keyreleased for this.
If you press and hold a key, then release it while moving the game window, it doesn't detect the key as released.

Just focus on making a character controller that feels right first, then see if that was easy enough and keep going from there.
I'd start with the Mech stuff since even if you don't do the other one you still might have something interesting.

But honestly making giant plans is the first thing that kills a project, take it slow

fuck

I'm calling the internet company, I can't access any website except Holla Forums and animeflv.

YUME is the engine Speebot was made in, he might just be adding features for now while thinking of what he'll make next. At the very least we'v seen a low poly TV and a cake, and grass and rocks now.

I can't usually post my progress because it's actual work stuff, and I tend to be too lazy and uninspired tired to work on personal projects.

Is this some garbage website that requires cookies to do basic things?

I've hit a heavy mapping block so I won't be able to make it in time for demo day. Again.
At least the end for the tech demo is in sight, so it'll definitely be done some time down the line.

In the meantime, I've been working on code.
I've optimized the rain so that it needs only half of the spawned actors, with an alternate spawner that follows the player around so I don't need to place individual spawners all along the map.
Exciting!!!!!

Does Godot supports pure C or do I have to use GDScript/C++/C#?

That's a problem with SDL and Windows, where Windows blocks the main thread when you're dragging/resizing the window, although I don't think the events should be getting dropped. A workaround for now might be to modify love.run and call love.event.pump from a separate thread, although you'll need to put some safeguards in yourself as pump isn't thread safe.

I've never had this happen and I'm dreading the day that it might. Will a surge protector save me?

you script the game in gdscript or C#
the engine itself is built on C++, so you build plugins with that, for example custom objects that you may use

Oh that sucks. Apparently it's been known SDL bug for a few years at least. I've never run into anyone mention that before though, so it shouldn't be very likely to happen in real world use.

I tried it on OS X too and seems to have the same problem, so I'm guessing it might be SDL's fault.

I can confirm at least that it does work on Debian. I tried my pump in thread idea and it doesn't work, so if you want to fix this you should go poke around in love's source and see why keyreleased events are being dropped.

3.0 added support for /virtually/ any language via GDNative. The GDNative API is written in C:
Here's a blog post talking about how to set it up. I think it's specifically about setting up C++ support, but you can probably use C as well.
godotengine.org/article/dlscript-here

This is probably not the right place to ask for this, but does anyone have any suggestions for a laptop with a good battery, that is easy to move around that I can use to work on Unity 3D projects?

I need something more mobile than my gayman laptop.

Ask Holla Forums. They have a sticky for this.

What said, but you'll have to think of what your budget is first.

Is less than 400$ unrealistic?
Can never get any answers on Holla Forums, guess I'll try anyways

Any good psu worth its salt has surge protection built into it. Mine was gifted to me used years ago, 1200w unit worth $200 or so.

Anyways its the change in current that damages electronics. Eg turning machines on and off over the years will kil them, but leaving them on will keep it fine

Also I don't know its graphical power, but I have a refurb Thinkpad T420 (last model before it went to shit). It's portable and has good battery life, and it can play Terraria reasonably well

Was just about to post the same thing. These are pretty damn good laptops, and the battery life can be extended if you get the 9cell battery. They should be able to do mediocre 3D projects easily, but don't expect too great of things out of an intel hd 3000

well the PSU was worth it in the sense that nothing got burned
and the power network on my city is good enough too to protect from most cases
in fact, some other stuff in my home stayed on just fine, I'm thinking the it was actually a negative surge, and the computer just rebooted after it

The winter blues finally caught up with me. Was plowing through my devdoc like madman for a month and I think I might've pulled a muscle. Can't even open up the IDE without feeling nauseous

If you've got burnout, it's all right to take a short break.
Just don't fall down the slippery slope, at some point you've gotta pick things up again.

I can't do anything because I am too busy studying for a test, it is rather bothersome.

YES FUCKING EXACTLY

happy birthday, bro.
I love the music and aesthetic of MoM. Princess Essay a qt Wish you had that multiplayer option in the menu, I think it might be fun with friends coming over on saturday.

and I'm loving it. The thieves are assholes, though.

I'm a special kind of retard and my game is a special kind of retarded.

I keep thinking about quad/oct trees in the wrong way and getting confused about adding data/points or dividing it, and there's like 2 or 3 different implementations and I just can't

Kill me.

I'll probably just tear it out entirely and put in a R-tree instead.

I think this is the one thing that crushes me sometimes. I know it's just a confidence/morale type of thing but it feels like getting punched in the gut sometimes, thinking about just how much fucking shit there is to do and understand. Thinking about it feels like kicking yourself while you are down.

It all passes eventually, it's really just a perceptual lens, but holy fuck does it bring on a feeling of real, tangible despair.

I feel the same way I felt during the summer when all I had to post was that spinning cube that took me months of reading vulkan tutorials to create. Sometimes I feel jealous of hexen-user's progress. It didn't take me this long last time…

At least I don't have to rewrite any of my code. My favorite thing to do now is deleting code that I am not using anymore, I don't know why deleting code makes me happy. Tomorrow night, I will be able to work, so maybe something will come out of that.

Yeah but

Simplicity. Freedom from the nagging clutter, and the responsibility for it, which also allows you to better see and understand the whole. You may find that the same applies in real life, and that the fewer unnecessary things you own, the easier your life is. The peace of mind gained by getting rid of the things you don't immediately need outweighs the benefits of holding onto them indefinitely because you might need it later 99% of the time. It's possible to keep many things, and go through the labor of keeping them all sorted, but the more things there are to put in order, the greater capacity there is for disorder, and the more work there is to maintain it. The same applies to code.

t. son of a hoarder.

FINALLY, the hardest part of the map editor is done.
With this, any no-holes, non-self-intersecting polygon will be split into convex polygons, which will then be used to create many types of ground, like paths (slight depression), rivers, etc

Are you going to turn off shadow casting for the guide spheres?

How do you know the "ideal" way to subdivide the triangles?

can someone explain what a bitwise shift is (>> or

OK, so it moves bits around. Thus,
0b0001 4 = 0x0F

It can be used to divide stuff, so, >> 1 is equivalent to division by 2, >> 2 is division by 4, and >> 3 is division by 8 and so on.

If you want to set a specific bit in a variable, you could do (var | (1

It's moving all the bits in a number over.

Let's assume you have a number like 213 in decimal. In hexadecimal, this is expressed as 0xD5. In binary, this is expressed as 11010101

So a > operation would halve it by 2, rounding down: 106, or 01101010.

Bitshifts are used to check flags, manipulate individual bits, and some hacky optimization functions. You don't need to use it often.

I just realized now that you were saying that to me. I actually was thinking what kind of idiot makes it hard to download their game!

I am not sure how difficult it is to download from dropbox, though?… is it still giving you trouble?

Also, I am very flattered with all these birthday wishes!… Also, the goblins have been a common complaint, I should probably make them easier to deal with. Unless making them difficult makes it the DARK SOULS(tm) OF(tm) DOOM(tm)

In regards to Multiplayer, they is information on how to do it on the Zdoom wiki. You just need to add a few lines in the command prompt (also works with shortcuts!)

I am happy people are enjoying the game though; I am sorry for all the slow replies, as UNFORTUNATELY I actually have been sick since releasing the demo too, which is a bit of a bummer, but I will try and respond to everything asap!

Guys, Hellbreaker is going to be released on Steam on 16/2/2018!
store.steampowered.com/app/793620/Hellbreaker/

Thanks to those who gave me feedback on the game and helped make it better.

Here are some progress vids from over the years, ordered from oldest to newest:
youtube.com/watch?v=fbCG8_neZQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=1LVYxj2nkpU
youtube.com/watch?v=oOTlHmWkcJw
youtube.com/watch?v=FD-xhIDplmI
youtube.com/watch?v=kLSY2y11-Fw
youtube.com/watch?v=B7d8nO2I5o4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZnAAEonOdiw
youtube.com/watch?v=ZtIbDo-9VLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=roTJX0L37pk
youtube.com/watch?v=eLEoZKYZiPw

probably, I was lazy, it's literally a parameter on the draw method

No idea, I am using this cs.ubc.ca/~snoeyink/demos/convdecomp/MCDDemo.html
translated from java to C# and make the algorithms that get convex polygons from the result.
Either I really didn't understand this algorithm, or it really only gives me the 'split' lines (that is, where I should cut the polygon so that each resulting piece is a convex polygon).
According to the authors, this really is the mathematically ideal way to split the polygon, I don't understand any of the math used though

Trying to crank out things to make sure playable for demo day. I've no idea how well the client correction will work with pings higher than what I can test with locally but fingers crossed. Last big thing I need to do is push entity states to clients. After that things like more placeholder sprites, effects for shooting and whatever else I can fit in in time.

Don't make me blush.

I hope your release goes well!

Looks like most MCD decompositions are based on mpen.ca/406/keil

That's literally the name of the author, so, yes?

>My co-author, 'Mark Keil, presented "On the time bound for convex decomposition of simple polygons" at the 10th Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, Aug 1998. The full version of the paper is available. A gzipped tar file with source code is also available for the curious. Code by Jack Snoeyink, University of British Columbia.

Sup MoM user, happy birthday.

Loving the game so far. Really like the aesthetic you went with.
Had a few hiccups here and there though. I got the sanic gorgon ring and it caused this weird screen effect. Is this intentional?
My game also soft locks sometimes going into the portal to treetop from the magic store portal.
I also had to resort to dodging a few encounters because I was getting my boypussy pounded every time.
Other than that, I really love how fleshed out everything feels. Weapons feel good to use, and Enemy design is pretty neat, only real enemy I had a problem with were the snakes. Any character that doesn't have AoE is going to get raped. I think goblins are fine, but probably put a cooldown on their ranged dodge ability. I tried shooting them with the cleric alchemy weapon and it just dodged like 50 times on the same slow projectile and slapped me from across the map.
Overall though really good job man, this really blew my expectations away.

thanks.

Also here's a tool for simulating lag for netdev:
jagt.github.io/clumsy/

Say something nice to Godot-chan, Holla Forums.

its fucking happening

the bins are to hide her balding

You'll make a great shitposting partner.

You mean like this?

Suddenly this haircut makes perfect sense.

That's looking really nice, I hope that in the coming months my engine can have the same features that you've got right now, that i'm missing. Maybe next demo day?

At least they could've made her look good. She looks like a sweaty gross nerd that'll ask the teacher to collect the homework by the end of the class.

WOW. Now, I understand why 'manbun' is a thing.

Seems legit

I am glad you enjoy the aethstetic of this game!… Its heavily inspired by the Camelot Game style (Shining Force 1-2, Golden Sun, etc).

Also, I am glad you showed me that gorgan ring effect; I think I forgot to test it on wider screen options, so I will have to add more black blocks to that!

Also, the soft locking in the store; I actually thought I fixed that. I will have another attempt at fixing it, however, so thank you for bringing that to my attention!

I am glad you enjoy the weapons too, since I put a lot of effort into making them satisfying; that shotgun there went through quite a few revisions since I started on this project 2 years ago!

The cleric's pistol is probably the worst LVL1 alchemy weapon at the start, but becomes insanely good after later levels. It should be noted that I am PRETTY SURE I purposely left all the code for all the LVL3 weapons in the game, if you wanted to have a look at them using the give cheats!

In regards to the goblins, I may add a cool down or decrease the window for their dodging. As it is, its tied to their animation, which makes it a 50/50 chance of them dodging. The snakes are suppose to be quite annoying; pest enemies!

Did you fight the optional boss yet by any chance?

also, thank you all for giving me birthday wishes. I really appreciate all the well wishes!

Just a small typo.
I'm enjoying it so far, didn't play much of it. I don't understand why you decided to have such small enemies at the start of the game, it's a bit annoying to have to aim down, but that's just me. I'll play more later.

small enemies, or is the guy you playing as tall?… each of the main characters have a different view height!

That might be it, I was playing as the eagle knight.

He's the second tallest, with the mage being the tallest. They also have different sized hitboxes too, but it doesn't come into play too much!

Did you piss off the banker some more?

/r/ing Godot-chan with "that bulge"

thunder bomb looks abit underwhelming tbh

have you gone into map designing yet?

oh bby

This makes it even more disgusting. I'm all into cute traps but this abomination looks like every single nerd I've had in my school ever.

It's actually legit, that pic is from the developer.
twitter.com/reduzio/status/958305883976536064
twitter.com/reduzio/status/958314815340072960

Dude, post that shit on the asset store and get tons of $$$$$$

Oh I know that, I just meant in terms of shitposting

This one's way better.

Actually user, I have a question; Do you know what you did to soft lock the shop exit?

Previously I thought it was linked to buying the strength upgrades, but I am not entirely sure what it is at the moment. I can't seem to replicate it on a whim, either.

that's godot-chan's autistic imouto who doesn't have a penis.

You mean the bush boy? Yeah I gave him a few attempts but I just got stomped every time. I have this impression that I am supposed to have improved stats and weapons for the boss and I didn't really know if I should have grinded out the crossbow, earth tome, and stats.

The race itself was super brutal as well, I barely could keep up and had to resort to saving at every junction so I didn't immediately die from falling behind. Gorgon ring was super helpful here though.

I definitely want to try out the lvl 3 weapons, you think you could tell me what the console commands are.

I tried jumping in game to try to make it happen again, but I'm not able to get it to happen again for some reason. If I remember correctly, I was jumping in the shop buying a few alch or health pots and leaving really quick. Thats all I can remember, Ill keep trying and let you know if I find anything.

Of course i pissed him off some more.
He didn't do anything other than the zoom in animation, I killed him after that and died, of course.

Really liked the title screen animation, also I've found so far two marble statues the well and the mirror tavern. I've stopped playing at the cemetery.
I've enjoyed everything except the forest map, I really don't enjoy walking around for long amounts of time in low-detailed corridors with "random" enemy encounters , if you wanted this to be the case, a simulation of a random monster battle, then sure, the monster encounters work. But you still should take some time in giving the forest map more details.

Alright I'm getting a soft lock some times, but its not consistent. I started a new game and chose the packrat and instantly headed to misty, then gave myself 5000 gold and turned on noclip. After that I went East and used the lever to treetop talked to the bee king and then went to the magic shop. I then talked to the wizard, with his text still scrolling I bought the level 2 crossbow and ran out with the wizard's textbox still visible.

Implying you killed him

Also, they is a lot more of those golems too, quite a hefty amount in the demo!

I may add more details to the forest map. Have you ever played Lands of Lore 3?… the overworld is HEAVILY inspired by that, which I enjoyed, but… I may have to adjust it.

I will test it myself when I am feeling more better to do it!

MoM dev I'm just going to call you mom alright? well mom you realize your game is PRIME for tumblr bait right? all these characters if you write some enduring lines for them you'll be rolling in the furfag/fanhell money right?

as for some actual feed back, I don't like how the castle is and the town in it is really not very good either, it would be better if it was lots of little houses rather then some giant ones as well as the have all the shops in one district it'd be alot more comfy because as it is now it's very too open with alot of activity which only makes the place feel more empty tbh. another thing is is the potion making stuff working yet? I dunno if I was doing something wrong or not with it as I couldn't seem to do anything with it. final also well first also there's alot of options in the pause menu which is fine but I don't think some of the things on it works either or rather not all that well as I had the game in windowed modo but I set the resolution up to 12 which didn't resize the window just the game inside it so I dunno with it tbh I also reset the controls and they seemed to default to old doom controls without mouse look and to arrowkey movement. final final now I'm supposed to loose half my gold when I die right? I think you haven't put that in yet as it just reloads the last auto save however when I died to a octopunk it didn't reload at all so I don't know what that was about. one final thing, your game is leading me on to believe it's like a co-op gaymu which is tots fine however every character should have some weak attack no range no costs punch attack like doom guy has as if you run out of mp ap sp, you're basically fucked if you can't run away.

user are you okay, you sound like you are having a stroke!… or are you pretending to be tumblr?

You lose half your gold when your die, but it only really matters in multiplayer. When making potions, you need the right ingredients (You must press the fire button to use your selection). Also, every character can attack with no mana other then the mage: the mage, when out of ammo, the only thing he can do is change his elemental.

Also, I am not interesting to pandering to tumblr. I just like having varied characters in my game. Was they any other questions you wanted ask user?

ummmmm mom…..

also yeah I have to new game or load game now when it used to just auto do it when I died

Are you using the exe to run the game?

How did you break it like this?

I'm using the exe and I just fucked around with your options menu abit and this happened

well define "Fucked about" so I can fix it.

I was setting up a crosshair as well as sorting out some control options and graphics, I told you your options were abit iffy tbh

oh I figured it out and sorry it was your options it was this on this setting

Ooh, I know what you did. Some one mentioned before that there was a back up file, and I think you are launching the base game and Super file which is breaking some of the assets. Also calm down user you are quite hard to read!

no mom I'm having fun trying to get as many stars as possible!

six seems to be my limit

That is the highest criminal rating, yes!

mom you should really add a evil team yo go against the good team with their own progression and story tbh

Yeah, I've put way more planning into the basic mecha control. Right now I'm playing with a system where each limb can have a unique attack bound to it and you can pick what "style" of attack you want for each limb in a pre-fight menu(eg: Boxing, Savage, Martial). Then you can mix and match attacks to create your own combos.
As well as a system that more closely mimics the controls of the Pipeworks Godzilla fighters that inspired this project.
What I'd really like input on is if I should go for customizable mechs and movesets or if I should make a roster of mechs with their own special movesets. There's appeal to both to the point where I simply can't decide.

Like a gigantic wall that you need to climb and you get paralyzed by the scale of the effort. I know the feeling all too well.

Is this an abstraction argument?

Programming gives the best rushes.

From what I understand, there's no reason to bother with bitwise ops in this day and age, since its useful applications are already in the low level libraries everything is based on.

Best of luck!

Should be robotic, with gear teeth like pic related. is better.

Alright, more or less satisfied with how to handle draw calls with SFML. Now I can hopefully get back to making a game

My game doesn't have sounds implemented yet, and besides that, it would bloat the upload size

The thunderbomb is abusrdly powerful if you throw it and have it skim past monsters, though I might make it spawn more lightning when it blows up.
No maps, if I make any maps at all for GMOTA they'll just be prologue levels that teach players the mechanics of each hero and contextualize how they got into their current situation.

well that's why I said it only looks like it's underwhelming

this post is severely underrated
Good Job user!

Could use a design opinion. I'm making a RPG, and I'm working a few menus that give the player information about their abilities. I'm trying to decide where the line is between giving the player the information they need and giving too much information. I'm of the mindset that anything relevant to what a their characters is able to do, the player should be told, but the rest they should have to learn on their own (for example, I'm probably not going to give the player information on enemy HP)

Do you think it's fair to give the player the base stats of attacks but not necessarily the "real" stats? By that, I mean it would display the base hit rate, but not the final hit rate modified by things like the enemy's level or any bonuses they may have that reduce your ability to hit them. It would display the base damage range of the attack, but not the final damage after accounting for the target's armor or resistances.

more info = less time spent on figuring out min-maxing
less info = autists will still min-max because there's always a way to figure things out

Wait what

congrats nigga. Nice seeing the process of the game building up.

thanks, i had forget to give his (you)

Congrats Hellbreaker dev, here's to seeing this game grow further

This is the first game i've seen from here make it on steam,it's nice to see the process works
i haven't been here long no bully

satan pls

Bitwise operators are more expressive in some cases than boolean operators, there is really a place for both of them in your code. It is like a thing that people can ignore for a long time, but once you get it , it's very useful. It is used in lower level libraries but it is used for it's expressiveness, any-way if you are writing in a language like C it is a lot easier to find a use, meanwhile it is a feature that programmers in higher level languages just ignore.

Finished the new hair mesh. Anime hair for VR is a nightmare.

Right, I get that and the autists will be able to minmax with either of the options I was looking at, but what I was worried about is if it's a fair amount of information to give for players who aren't going to autistically look into game mechanics.

well you could have it both ways with a toggle option on simple information to complex tbh

Wings were tedious and I'm sure there was a more efficient way to make them but whatever. With that out of the way I rendered him out a little bit and have begun work on the armor.

doing a great job user

those legs still seem wrong tbh

Wrong how?

I think if you repose him into his more natural stance we may be able to see just how

Alright, lemme try to make a quick rig and set him up.

it only takes $100 and paperwork to get on steam since Greenlight was canceled tbh

Careful with those horns. They are in danger of becoming blizzard-tier.

Last progress video for tonight. Starting work on rigging hair.

Thanks. I once thought I didn't need any nipple vertices but they were too delicious to leave out.

I don't think I'm too far off, honestly. Unless you're seeing something that I'm not. Although with the comparison I've noted that he does need to be a bit taller along with some other things I'll have to fix.

Too big?

this is what I'm seeing

So your saying my joints aren't quite lining up the way they should be?

actually I think the tarsometatarsus is way too short

Oookay, I'm seeing it now. Will probably help with his manlytears syndrome when I fix it too. Thanks for the pointers.

nap a nappers me nap

Congatufuckinglations, my dude!

looks like shit.

When I hit some chests (specifically one in the Misty Forest cabin) twice, they don't open anymore. Is this a bug?
Also, how do I make potions? I couldn't find any NPC or shop that sells them, the Magic shop is empty.

its still extremely useful to do bitflag checks, as opposed to have a ton of bool variables

even godot has a good enough support for it

like user said, I am one of these autists that try to figure things out
so I rather have things properly explained and exposed, but it all depends on how the game plays out
if for example the stats are overcomplicated but balanced, its alright, otherwise if something can make or break a character its another case

but overall rpg design hint I can give you, try to have a natural progression instead of grind for stats

I want to ask realdevs out here,
who actually uses git for revision control?
what are your best practices and how do you tidy up a messy branch before a merger?

Can you guys push back demo day by a couple of weeks? I'm new and I haven't started yet but I promise I'll have something cool if I have some time.

as that other user said "post demo any time"

If you really need Demo Day, post it on the next one, on 5/5. When you're doing gamedev, time flies fast.

You want us to break our schedule for a single user who hasn't even started? Do you realize how many people talk about making game but fail to actually do it?

/agdg/ is a year round thing, you don't need a demo day to post your stuff.

You do know that Mandrake porn is gonna be a thing, right?

his whole game is going to be sexualized

It's based on the difference between the attacker's offensive stat (Strength, Agility or Willpower depending on the attack) and the target's endurance. Attacker gets a bonus to damage based on his equipped weapon and a random number roll that both scale with his level. Specific attacks vary, but that's the general pattern of it so far.

As for mitigation, armor has a flat block rate and a resistance value. The damage is first reduced by the block rate and then multiplied by (1 - Resistance percent). Similar to damage from weapons, the block rate scales with the target's level. A sword is a sword in this, there may be some variation in quality, but it was a design choice to stupid scenarios where an earlygame sword deals 5 damage and an endgame one deals 5,000,000. Also, armor is on a per-body part basis. If you get hit in the arm, wearing a helmet isn't going to help you.

The end result of the way these calculations work is that two guys with "average" stats fighting eachother will do the same range of damage to eachother relative to their maximum HP. If a perfectly average roll between two identical fighters deals 30% health, it will always deal 30% regardless of level.

So… Pulling it back to giving the player information. It;'s a turn based game on a grid. When it's your guy's turn, a menu opens up giving you options for what to do. You choose attacks and it opens a menu listing all of the attacks that character knows how to do. A box opens up below all this that gives detailed information about whatever attack is currently selected. You choose whatever attack you want, the menus disappear and you can move the cursor to choose a target. You select your target, the attack performs. That's what I have right now.

The information provided is the name of the attack, how long it takes to perform, and the range. I need a way to tell the player the chance of successfully hitting with the attack or casting the spell if it's magic and I need a way tell how much damage it's going to deal, assuming it's an attack. I see two options. I can either
or

I'm leaning towards A for 3 main reasons. 1) I don't like the idea of giving the player information about the enemy's stats. His own, yes, but anything he knows about the enemy should be through actually fighting it. 2) There's a lot more to getting an accurate range than an estimate based on the "average" opponent. As I said before, armor is on a per-location basis. The minimum and maximum would need to be compared for each bodypart an attack could hit, and if the attack can hit multiple targets, it would need to be calculated for each of them. Any modifiers that conditionally increase damage dealt would need to be considered (for example, one unit in the demo has a passive that increases the damage he deals to demons, the undead, and spellcasters). And every attack more complicated than "target a single enemy would need the logic set for how to do the calculations which isn't an appealing thought at the moment. 3) I question how appealing another popup window would look and whether it would get in the way while trying to pick a target for your attack.

What it boils down to and what I want to know is: Is option A fair to the player. To give a general estimate of what an attack will do against an "average" opponent rather than an exact range of possibilities against a specific one.

Dem furrybucks gonna be flowing

I'd dare say that tumblr would get on this boat

Congratulations, user! I wish you the best of luck on the market.

Just wait for the next one. 5/5

I do. You will need something to deal with BLOBs like texture and audio files though. I use LFS. I host my project on GitLab since it's free and gives you 10GB of storage for git and LFS.
My branches are organized as follows: master « testing « feature branches
Example:
I handle it like this, because this system ensures that everything that goes into the game must go past me first. That way I can keep an overview. It obviously doesn't scale indefinitely. It works if you're one developer and it works in small teams, but at some point you're going to reach a limit. But I don't think anyone from /agdg/ is going to reach it anytime soon. You'd have to run a pretty sizable studio for there to be so many things going on in testing and master at any given time, that you'd get overwhelmed.
One problem you are going to run into when using git for gamedev, is that the repository will grow extremely quickly because of BLOBs. While LFS fixes it at the developer's end, your remote will still get enormous. If it gets out of hand, you need to compress your repository. The reason for making sure that master is stable and tested, is that you can then squash its entire commit history into one, new initial commit. Be sure to make a backup first.
The alternative, if even that doesn't help, is to let everyone finish what they're working on and tell them that they should wait before staring anything new. Then you delete the .git folder and do git init to create an all new repository that you force-push.
Either way, make sure that everyone pulls/fetches after you rewrote the history.

Well that's embarrassing but at least should be an easy performance gain.

We're all gonna make it. You and Keyreal's engine stuff were big inspirations for me to try something other than yet another 2D project so your praise is very flattering.

Just how many butts did MoMdev squeeze in?

I've been working on a proper movelist feature, to help the average player get into my game somewhat, by showing what you can do and what the reasoning/purpose behind a given move is. So this is where I really need other people's feedback. Can you please tell me anything that comes to mind, but in particular anything you don't understand? I would plan to implement a playback feature and frame/hitbox data next.

user pls no

The amount of moves won't change, but thinking of it, I could add a collapsing feature so random faggots don't see all entries and followups at once and give up before even trying.

I meant more making them not just >square square square square

That's more or less an intentional game design choice which I don't believe to be bad per se. Every input's autocombo followups are the same button again because if you press a different input you go into that button - IE neutral punch, neutral punch, down punch is going to become Right Straight > Left Jolt > Left Hook, there's simply no space for different inputs without getting into diagonals or some shit which can be cancer to input - and the four-hit dial-P-combo off the basic standing punch exists so that you can just mash punch to start off with and get results, it's far from optimal but you get something and can build off that something easily, I don't need the learning curve to be even more of a wall than it already is. Normally there's like one followup attack to a given move. Sorry for wall of text, I'm running out of time and don't have time to sort my thoughts/response.

it's not a wall of text

But not as well sorted as I'd like. Out of time now, won't be able to reply for the next 3~4h

gods speeds

Happy Belated birthday from Those Guys, MoManon!

We're happy to see it going so well!

Thank you user

What will the price be?

Sorry for the slow reply, since I was alseep; Those chests, if you press E on them, tell them that they need to be locked picked with the appropriate lock picking level!

I'll be honest; I love making a good booty, be it man or woman. The shapes are just too fun to not to. No Homo

full homo

Its nice to be hearing from you guys again as well; I hope you have all been doing well with your own projects as well!

You should really post your progress here, it'd definitely get more people interest in my opinion!

I'm starting to regret adhering so tightly to the Zandronum compatibility, all of the methods I've tried for pickup systems have some kinda flaw. The first system I've tried has an issue where if you graze along items you might pick up the sprite, but not the item itself, leaving it invisible and really fucking hard to find, or you pick up the item, but not the sprite, making things confusing.
There's a new system I'm trying out right now that's more consistent, but then I lose out on the nice blinking sprites because the current system I have rigged up for blinking causes it to blink SUPER FAST on Zandronum online.

For those of you who want to get into Doom modding, all I can say is do yourself a favor and stick with GZdoom/Zdoom, Zandronum is still super fucking old and you run into issues all the goddamn time.

Git for gamedev best practices: use something else
just see how much work does
Git not handling binary data elegantly is a good reason to use something like SVN instead.

Well, the framebuffer works partially for about 10 seconds then crashes.
I think I might want to store this on the GPU, instead of copying it back into memory every time.

Honestly, the only benefits of Zandro is online; but thats only if you do not have a problem with Zdooms Peer to Peer (Which in the case of my project, is better for it!)

I don't think you understood me.
I managed to recreate the bug: after hitting a closed chest that can be opened by hitting, quickly press E.The chest will close and you won't be able to open it anymore, the contents also won't spill and when you come back to it after changing areas it will be open, but again, no money.

Oh shit, I was really looking forward to playing this. Nice to see you're making headway.
All of that sounds like more than enough for a brawler, usually I'd just be satisfied being told what a move is and how to do it.

$8, there'll be 25% release discount

Wait, I understand you now, and I know why that is happening. I will put that on my immediate to do list right away!

its to do with the fact some chests can be interacted with E, and some can't. it cancels out the open animation due to it!

We had a thread recently, it went okay. It should still be up, actually if you want to peruse it.

Unless you mean posting in AGDG, then no, that wouldn't be fair to everyone else, it's better ours are seperate

- Fred

you know, user, not everything has to end in an exclamation mark

I am just excited to finally release this demo is all. I can't believe its been 2 years already since I actually started this project!

ZDoom/GZdoom multiplayer is pretty jank and unstable, I've seen nothing but issues come from it.
Though at this rate I may axe Zandronum compatibility to make sure the gameplay is as smooth and enjoyable as possible. Or I guess I could just have weapons not blink. I only want to give up Zandy compat as a last resort, I know there are some people who can't play GZdoom for one reason or another, and I know there are people who play the current public build of GMOTA on Zandronum, I don't want to take that from them

From my experience it seems like at the end of the day sacrifices have to be made. It all really depends on what you want the final result to be, and if that engine can meet you needs.

I've managed to make everything else work, but weapon and item pickups that change depending on player class is the one thing that's been tripping me up.

How does your current system work like? You have just a generic looking weapon and item sprites so far?

the one user who complained about such a thing was a sperg in the ss13 threads who merely used it as point because he had nothing else other then angry rants to post

If we've gotten to the point where a worse version of namefagging is acceptable, we need another exodus

The current system I have in place right now is really hacky, the item is spawned as an invisible actor, and then it spawns several dummy actors that serve as the sprite, one for each class, the dummy actors only serve as a visual for the weapon.
There's two problems with this system, you'll pick up the weapons no matter what, even if you have full ammo, and if you graze past the weapon, there's a chance you will pick up the weapon and the sprite will stay, or you'll pick up the sprite and the weapon will stay. Which sucks ass.

Is that because it's entirely p2p based? I've never modded doom, but it seems like there has to be a better way.

you fuckers are so scared of having an identify of any kind even if it's just for confirmation, it's pretty sad tbh

There's a lot of better ways if I wasn't trying to aim for Zandronum 3.0 compatibility, so I'm actually trying to develop for two separate engines with several years of features and functions difference between them.

The only other mod I can think of off the top of my head that has a weapon system that changes depending on class and works well is Wrath of Cronos, but sadly the ACS within is compiled and there's no source, so I'd have to contact the dev

I do already too, both of them

it does seems though like you need because of having other contributors to the project, and I also don't need a "testing" branch since I technically don't build anything godot
yeah I know, squash is very useful, you're bound to make little fixes and touches after the initial writing, my problem though is that I often have to change small things on stuff completely out of the feature's scope
and that usually messes up the history, besides squash on merge, you could also use rebase and/or cherry-pick, or even reset to the point before branching, but all of these are somewhat dangerous stuff to fiddle with

I use gitgud instead (also user friendly) though I don't know their size limit, but I would hope that files no longer present in your repo would also get removed from the storage eventually

It's just complete faggotry. When you post game updates or highly technical posts, people obviously can tell who you are. When you sign your post with "Fred", people know you're Fred, and also that you have no skills and you've accomplished nothing at all. Why then, does it matter what your name is?

he made one post with his name because he was talking to his friend about something only they would know about because it seems like a group of people doing some kinda group project, get more autistic about something so utterly trivial please good god

that's even more degenerate

there it is folks.

That's the point of imageboards, if names are normalized then it would damage the culture here. Literally go to reddit or some other namefag forum for that kind of place.

why not use skype or some other botnet for that? Seriously, who the fuck signs their name on an ANONYMOUS imageboard?

Well that's pretty bad. I had a goy who helped me with the ACS since he was more proficient with this stuff then I am. Right now Moonman pickup system should work breddy gud both in SP and in MP with Skullshit 3.0 and it respects the sv_weaponstay flag. So when the boolit ammo is full for example the Moonman player cannot pickup the AKM-47 anymore and the weapon respawns correctly too. When the sv_weaponstay flag is on the player can pick up the weapon only once and there is 1 minor issue, the player can abuse this and get free ammo from it since there is no additional checks for this.

The weapon sprite gets changed too correctly for a Chaingun item a Moonman player will see it as a AKM-47 pickup for a Ben Garrison player however he will see it as a M-16 pickup.
ACS:
gitgud.io/moon-men/moonman-doom/blob/master/PK3/acs/moonpick.acs
Decorate:
gitgud.io/moon-men/moonman-doom/blob/master/PK3/actors/weaponspawn_new.dec

you wanna slippy slop to the point where images posting is remove because avatarfagging is a thing because I don't we already had the fucking email field removed due to "lol fuck namefags XEE DEE"

here's where they talked because it was convenient as they both happened to be on at the same time, the method of communication doesn't matter so long as it happens

I was hoping this would get reposted again. I'm gonna look this over and see what I can do to fix my issue.
Thank you.

Grabbed my copy off itch.io because I hate steam, but congrats!

Thank you!

Except even I know what he was talking about, he's obviously part of the Anton & Coolpecker team you mongoloid.

What, do you want us to kick out Keyreal too? We know his full name, and he's very easy to identify so what's even the point of anonymous imageboards?
/agdg/ threads by nature make you identifiable, no need to bitch about it.

What are you talking about? LFS integrates normally into git, no need to learn new commands. And you're missing the point, user.
The entirety of the Linux kernel repository (not the archive) is about 100MB in size. If you're working on a 3d game, it doesn't take a whole lot of texture and audio files to get to 100MB.
The problem isn't that git can't handle BLOBs nicely (which it can, with LFS). The problem is that free hosts like GitLab and BitBucket just don't give you all that much storage (by gamedev standards) for free.
GitLab gives you 10GB per repository with LFS. I'm working on something bigger, so let's assume that it'll contain 1GB of binary files in the end. That gives me 10 revisions per file, if we assume no compression. Is that enough? Truth be told, I don't know. But I'd rather err on the side of caution and keep an eye on the repository size nonetheless.

Soon, hopefully.
>and I also don't need a "testing" branch since I technically don't build anything godot
Even if you don't build anything it's useful. The testing branch is to ensure that every commit that goes into master works. Failed builds obviously get filtered out, but it's not restricted to that. If something breaks the game itself, it gets filtered out, too. I want to be able to use git bisect on master.
I used gitgud, too. I switched when GitLab announced LFS support with 10GB of storage and I couldn't find anything on gitgud's site. I'm using Unreal, so I need plenty of space.

this tbh.
You'll get recognized by your work and there's nothing wrong with that. That doesn't mean that you should go out of your way and avatar-/namefag though.

I doubt anyone here has a problem with knowing a guy because he actively developed his game here and then released it. Now we know who Fred is exclusively because he feels the need to sign his name on a post while communicating with a team member who was the only person who knows what he's talking about. If you can't tell the difference, at this point, you're either a complete idiot or shilling.

Real names feels a bit much on an anonymous imageboard, though. Using handles or being known specifically for the game you made, like [game name]Dev, is much more appropriate.

Both me and MoM user know who he is, me because I have reasoning capabilities above a third grader and MoM user because he apparently knows people from the A&CP team. If you could figure it out, you're either a complete idiot or a newfag.
Plus the only reason he posted here was to congratulate MoM user. the A&CP team never posts in /agdg/ threads normally. You're seriously whining that someone who posts here once identified himself to someone he knew.

Is it still a pain in the ass to use C++ with the Godot Engine ?

again, what does degeneracy have to do with it? you're throwing a word around that you seem to not understand the meaning of

Wew lad. Hey user, if you read the previous thread carefully and use some critical thinking skills you'd also be able to figure out my name. Surely this will destroy civilisation.

Still kind of a pain, but you don't have to recompile the entire engine anymore.
godotengine.org/article/godot-3-0-released#gdnative

autistis are the worst

Its just an old colleague of mine, its really nothing to get upset about. He even said he is unlikely to post in this thread again, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Now, instead of fretting, how about you Buy- I mean download my game!

Looks like it's on its way to replace Unity3D.

Holy shit, I have just checked the C++ bindings and it's not writtenLikeThis() it's done_properly() !

I honestly wish it was written in PascalCase, personally.

I don't mind PascalCase but thisCaseRightHere() is absolutely cancer, sometimes I get rused because when it's only one word it appears as if it was normal snake_case() but then you keep reading and it's thisAbsoluteCancerSyntax().

lol go back to Holla Forums!

Also, just a quick question, while I have posted my demo in here now, is they anything in particular I need to do to have it in the Demo Day game bundle?.. Or is that something another user here can do for me?

Last time there was no bundle, we just made a thread and people quoted the second (anchor) post with their own post describing their game and giving a link. You're normally expected to do this youself, although if you'll be unavailable for some reason we probably could make a post for you.

Oh, thats actually perfect, since then I can released the more updated version of the demo in that case.

When is Demo day again?… Feb 02?

Oh wait nevermind, I should of just read the OP. I will definitely be here for Demo Day then!

I know that feel, hopefully too

niggah, gitgud uses the gitlab framework (forgot how its called) but its basically the same with different hosting, I don't know about their size limits though, I searched and couldn't find anything
on the topic, I actually host my own lfs-storage-server back when using github, mostly because of sensitive material (nudity and stolen)
it was alright, but I have very limited upload speed so it was a drag for anyone else downloading it, and also my home ip changing regularly

in respect with that, in development you really rarely will have such larger binary files, everything that isn't code should be some kind of resources (textures,audio) and the kind,
and those really rarely change once done, unless when still a WIP, which is why you should use branches like that, and squash the result, files with lost references will get cleared by git
the only exception to that, is with some specific project data, for example, when I started using godot, they didn't have text based scene saving yet, everything was a blob

this also yes it for practice, sadly however i wanted to use the whole model for a demo, but when a friend ask me details about the game and how it works he had a hard time understanding it. that made me rethink what i wanted to do, and decided to keep the idea in the back of my head until i can express what i want to make. so right now the model is just for practice, i have a new, and better idea which is easier to make but, i still want to finish the model, i mean look how complete it looks, plus it gives me an opportunity to practice retopology and experiment with retopology addon for blender. but i have one question, anyone know a good and/or free program to make sprites/sprite sheets? also a tutorial for said sprites, not doing it for a character but for something like power ups.

Slippery slope is not an argument, and you have identified yourself as an outsider already in your post "you fuckers", so, you are at an impass- you can post somewhere else, or integrate into imageboard culture.

Also while images can be used to identify anons in some cases, it's nowhere near what namefagging is.

Getting recognized incidentally or identifying yourself when it's redundant is different than namefagging.

wew

Finished the wind system. I have implemented flexibility attribute for vertices, which allows me to set different degrees of flexibility for different meshes, or even parts of the same mesh.
This effect turned out to be really cheap computationally, and I'm happy with the results. I will most likely not keep so much grass in the game, this is just a stress test, but it looks good too.

I haven't decided on the story yet, but I want to make an action adventure game.

An imageboard can't make money if it doesn't have a heaping amount of cancer!

You do realize that that's just a generic imgur filename, right?

I'm guessing it's a normalized weight between 0..1 that says how much of the parent transform to apply?

So that means we have imgur-tier normalfags on this very board :^)

It means someone used Google to find the image they were looking for because they didn't have it on hand, or didn't want to sort through their messy-ass folder, same with tumblr and knowyourmeme filenames.

It works like this: an entity has a global flexibility parameter, which can be any non-negative float value. During initialization each vertex of the mesh gets its own flexibility attribute, which is calculated by multiplying the entity's global flexibility with the y coordinate of this vertex. This ensures that the bottom vertices stay immobile, and the vegetation stays attached to the ground.
Later this attribute is used in a shader to determine how much the vertex sways. The deformation itself is defined by a scrolling noise texture.

Only a few copies of that filename have ever been indexed, so it's really probably the same person. The point of that post is that you aren't as anonymous as you think if you use filenames like that. It's diffrent from knowyourmeme in that it's much easier to identify.

Sure,but this looks like something that isn't hot garbage.

do you think keyreal is happy with his sales?

I rename images I get from these parts of the internet just to avoid triggering a derail.

Sorry,i'm not sure what you mean.

As we all should… I hope that images like that one will help to encourage this behavior.

Graphicsgale is now freeware, and you also have two or three addons for blender itself.

I'm gonna shill Aseprite. It really is optimized for pixelshit stuff. You have all sorts of brushes and shit you can do, but the thing I like it its portability, ease of use, and how easy it is to use a limited color palette.

It's paid software for the binary, or free to compile. It's a weird license. Anyways, here's a copy if anyone wants it

dropbox.com/s/pcq5sc3rlsvdjnw/Aseprite-v1.2.3-Portable.zip?dl=0

I'll rename everything from now on. Webm very related.

I like that idea in theory, since it means that it's still accessible for anyone who's too poor to buy it, but is willing to put in legwork, and profit is made from those who just want convenience. In practice, it just gets zipped and posted.

Can someone take ~30 seconds and tell me how "good" this code is? File handling isn't something I do very often.
hastebin.com/enibefodot
hastebin.com/sikuhizere.ini

I basically have a hardcoded path to a files.ini (second link) that contains an internal ID and Name token for stuff, and then a relative path for where to load the resource from. In particular, looking for feedback on the Load() method, eg using a dictionary to branch the file extensions.

It sounds like you have learned your lesson about using reddit filenames :^). Don't worry, I believe you user, sorry for putting you in such a situation.

you know that time when you passed like a couple of weeks only writing code, and you need the rest of the stuff ready to test it, and when you finally get to that point, there is about a thousand small bugs to sort out?

# toggles bitwise at positionfunc set_trigger(bit = int()): if (bit & TSUM): trigger ^= bit;# checks bitwise at positionfunc get_trigger(bit = int()): if bit & TSUM: if (bit & trigger) != 0: return true; else: return false;

this is one of those times,
code above is failing on me, bitwise checks on godot should be working right?
but godot is complaining about: Invalid operands 'Nil' and 'int' in operator '&'.
well, but how the fuck is getting nil from an argument?

I'm not that user. I thought when I download an image from here or imgur in this case, keeping the file name, no matter what it is would make it harder to trace back posts, since many people use the same file name. But now I see that this tactic has some unforeseen drawbacks.

That in the pic is me.

I do not post on Ponychan, I just lost all my reaction pics when my hard drive failed during the summer (someone might remember, I'm working on the 3D platformer about drilling and had to start over). I googled simpson image reactions because I like the simpsons and saved a bunch from google directly.
Turns out those images were hosted on Imgur, and a lot of people saved them. I've been shat on a few times for using imgur filenames but I had honestly no idea that was something that mattered.

Hopefully that can clear up the problem, sorry.
Pic related, one of the imgur pics I saved

Too lazy to look over the code, but I know my C# compiler complains if I forget to use () in that sort of stuff, because bitwise ops usually have a higher order of operations than other things, eg, it's trying to compare the wrong results

Considering your situation, I suspect that's probably how you actually feel right now

Eh, what you gonna do
I understand the paranoia some anons have but sometimes it goes a bit overboard

In all serious, he does need to go back

but how the hell is it trying to compare the wrong results if there is literally only two operands and with parenthesis already
somehow its thinking of the argument as null even before instancing the object
and if I force a int(arg) it complains about it being non existent constructor, wtf?

Actually no. I see from your reference you won't add unnecessary ridges and details to the horn like Blizz does. Sometimes its important to know when to stop.

hmm

// Not what we want - returns a Direction objectif (actor.Direction & Direction.Left) { ... }// Invalid - comparing Direction.Left to see if it's equal to 0, returning a bool. It then compares actor.Direction against the bool, which is never valid. This should be a nil result, right?if (actor.Direction & Direction.Left == 0) { ... }// Correct formif ((actor.Direction & Direction.Left) == 0) { ... }

That's how it is in my case, anyways. I'm not sure if it's applicable to your program/language or not.

I understand that how you meant, its godot though
but the problem seems to be another altogether, this is happening over the instancing phase, so before the object is even constructed
like for fuck sake, the thing doesn't even exists yet, comparing an argument to a variable for something that isn't even created

Sorry for the situation user. I hope that I'm not putting you on the spot too much with that image, it is just that, Imgur filenames are a red flag that a lot of anons use to detect redditors, since reddit uses imgur as a way to upload and post images.

Try giving them filenames that just generate noise on search engines, like "cool frog.png". A filename like that is literally a psudeo-tripcode unless multiple anons are using it.

See: hollaforums.com/thread/13568582/video-games/what-did-kojima-mean-by-this-during-his-trip-to.html for 77afc9 getting called a redditor 4 months ago for using the image he used in

OK, I will stop stalking other anons and go back to gamedev now, I am just saying that using unsantized filenames are a bad idea.

Is this gonna be a running joke now?
I like it.

It's okay, it just kind of creeps me out to know that every post I make in this thread is potentially being archived to then possibly being used against me in the future.

I realistically don't track what I say in these threads and anyone here could use that to slander me if I ever get to the point of wanting to release a game.
Doesn't really make me want to post any progress and kind of ruins /agdg/ if people here are actually out to dox and collect information about each other.

And then you realize that this applies both to every public and private forum, every website you visit, how views, clicks, and visits are cached according to your IP address and browser information, and how every OS and browser does this in varying amounts, and even hardware can collect data and store it.

tldr: Everything you do is being profiled and monitored at all times, even if you think it's not

Right, but that is being collected by giant corporations that would hardly ever try to slander me, and even if they did I would know how to respond legally because they would essentially out themselves by breaking the law.
If it's done by an user here I can do absolutely nothing because they're just some random dude on a vietnamese anime forum.

I just supposed we had a honor system of some kind where we wouldn't do this to other anons, guess that's my bad.

I doubt anons would do that, personally. Everyone seems to encourage each other. It's just something about /agdg/, it's almost like an oasis in a desert of GRIDS. However, if anyone from normie sites or mainstream media wanted to slander you and knew/were tipped off about you posting on imageboards, the archive would make it fairly easy to find. then again, not many people actually care about what game journalists say, do they?

Last I checked, Holla Forums actively archives every thread for some reason.

Hence why I despise the archive.

This thread kind of proves that wrong doesn't it
I was outed as a ponyfag with barely any proof despite not having done anything wrong

I understand if a Tetradev or YandereDev situation happens but if something like that can happen without any provocation then things change.

I personally archive every thread I post in, but I guess that's different
this thread is 102 MBs

I'm fine with archiving, I just didn't think anons themselves would actually actively try to collect the dots about the people that post in /agdg/

I won't continue doing it, I actually made that image since I saw a post by you outside of /agdg/ in december in some unrelated thread and made the image and posted it in that thread, I was surprised to see it come up in an /agdg/ thread too. I shouldn't have shared it, since you're right about how it creates a bad atmosphere. The file's down now.

(checked)
They dropped the support for ALSA now? Fuck Pulseaudio I don't want to touch this pottering crap with a 10 foot pole.

I'll still use it for the other team members' sake and tell ALSAfags like me to run it through apulse or something.

You're joking? It just worked on my machine, I know that godot sets the audio driver to look for pulseaudio by default, but it will throw an error (in the debugger) if it doesn't find pulseaudio, it will try to use ALSA instead.

Fucking, now I'll have to make my own time step tracker

I hope you're right. Try exporting a game and see if the audio still works with ALSA alone.

just use a game engine, you're wasting your time dealing with pointless boring bullshit.

I exported whatever godot 3 project that was made in the global game jam and the sound and music was playing.
I also don't have apulse installed as well.

Nah, I figured it out. I just put a timer on the main loop, and track the previous 300 updates (5 seconds' worth). I then sum all the values, take the average, and if it's below my target time (16667 ticks), then I drop frames.

I just need to tweak it a bit, eg put it in its own class and possibly adjust how long it tracks stuff for, etc. If I wanted to be really elaborate I could do a timing profiler, but that's overkill for any of my projects so far

Thanks user.

Works on my machine.

What's that user? You aren't using a combination of C, FORTRAN, and Assembly to write your game?

Everyone knows that the C++ standard library is bloated. C++ is bloated and everything is bloated except for OpenGL 1.1 which is not bloated.

10% of your time should be spent making a game. The other 90% should be spent making an engine, also it has to be written in C and can't use "abstraction layers" like SDL because they are incomplete.

Libraries are bad because I can't compile them easily on my compiler nobody else uses. By the way you should use the compiler I use, it's pretty cool.

Yes this "looks" like a spinning cube but it took 10000 lines of assembly, that makes it better than everything else.

is this the codemonkey version of "200 hours in MS paint"?

not really

anyone worked with cl_gl interop?
i'm getting segfaults after a few seconds whenever i use the interop buffers, which is a _HUGE_ issue because copying the framebuffer from the gpu to the cpu back to the gpu is _slow_

I did some work on a side-project space sim. Flying feels pretty cool.

when you'll lurk more or read the wiki, you'll know. It's there to help you.

better add Roy Batty's final monologue to the scene.

gonna grab this on release day.

damn, I'm gonna love showing this to my friends on saturday

I'm going to completely miss d-day. Can I blame documentation?

I think I might actually need an ideas guy. I have a general idea of what I'm going for. Ignore the parts where I get hit and don't die, I'm no collisions
It already supports online play with deterministic boss patterns, so I think I'm good on the programming part. I just have a lot of design issues related to the gameplay itself
>is it _fun_?

I've put pretty much everything I can into it, and if I can't make a fun boss, I think I should drop the project early on. Normally, I'd run ideas past my friends, but they don't really like this genre.

pls advice

and an earlier boss I was just making to test attack patterns

Fugg

Anyways, here's a new door, which is now very distinct from the source material. The gate is still kinda iffy, but whatever

btw, I figured what was the issue
I was using setget with some functions, and since it was a inherited scene with exported attributes it was using the setting function somehow, but I had no clue how it was passing the argument, and broke to shit

actually I baited you into thinking that I'm a "outsider" just to prove how much of an idiot you are

how lovely, although you're missing the image so I can only do you for a 4/10

I know that feel. You get a good idea of a game and you think you're set, but then you realize how horribly incomplete that idea is and how many design decisions you need to resolve to make your game a reality.

Anyway, to answer most of your questions, I think you should study other games in the genre to get a rough idea of movement speed, telegraphs, etc. The Touhou series would probably be the best benchmark to get a good idea of the sped and movement you want. Although there are probably certain conventions you should stick to to make a mechanically sound bullet-hell game, don't feel like you should be constrained to them. If your game has co-op, maybe make some kind of power-up that increases the speed and precision of one player, but it reduces the movement speed of the other. Maybe that's a terrible idea; but it never hurts to experiment.

Wolfspider "user", please stop shitting up the gamedev threads. Thank you.

Anyone who hasn't filtered #F19E03 should do so

I had my thoughts it was him.
His "tbh" really stands out, not to mention his gay pedo nature.

literally who?

really makes you think

Hey, finally got a pretty decent looking exit sprite now.
Those doors I made earlier are gonna be the opening animation for them, because I don't think it makes sense to have a nice fantasy key on a modern looking vault door

Really fucking weird and specific question,but anybody here who has their game on steam but doesn't have badges set up yet?
I'd like to suggest a badge,yes i'd use it on my profile like a selfish bastard.

Yeah, studying/ripping off some of Touhou's proven movement mechanics was going to be one of my next steps. I was hoping to find a good goy to share ideas with, though. Upgrades that fuck over your teammate's in co-op are oddly appealing to me. Something like reflecting all projectiles/bullets around you for a few seconds would be objectively useful for you but deadly to anyone around you.

[email protected]

that's very suspect

girls can have cockmails

As long as you're not the actual person i think you are.

I swear to fucking god if you are,get the fuck out of GDQ

Way too obvious. Come on, user, don't take such blatant bait.
Sage for off-topic.

Sorry,but goddamn that was a tempting one.

Might not be worth asking ITT, but would Minetest be a good start to trying to make my dream autism simulator? I've always had my gripes with Minecraft, and Minetest is at least open source. I dislike that it still uses "poxels" and has some pretty piss poor optimization (especially netcode), but I sincerely don't want to make my own engine from scratch with my extremely limited programming ability. At least there's existing support for future development that can occur simultaneously with my own development, so maybe my woes with it will be fixed over time hopefully. It's also open source, which is a lot more ideal.

If not, a better engine to start with would be appreciated. I don't want to invest a lot of time in learning and working in an engine that has too many roadblocks for what I want. I can go into more detail as to what I want, but it's pretty "idea guy" and more of a long-term slow burn project than anything else.

8ch needs a built in checkbox to automatically scramble image filenames and posts. TRUE anonymity has never been tried

md Niu for.vne,inde It

Wait you want to transform Minetest into a non-voxel game?

That sounds like it would require rewriting pretty much everything about the game. Engine doesn't really matter, just choose the one that has the best business model for you.
Unity's easy if you're starting. UE's good if you don't want to spend a lot of time working shaders.

Oh, if you're referring to my image, nah. I just chose that because it looks nice and has a general "feel" of what I'd like in my game. I'm okay with keeping the voxels/pseudo-voxels, although I'd probably make it more varied than just "hurr durr only cubes" - which the engine itself does support.

V O X L A P

advsys.net/ken/voxlap.htm

Notch is FINISHED

That's before most of us were born. He wrote that when he was 15

Actually here's the source for it. Pretty small, and in C
hastebin.com/oxihijopem

jokes on you, user, i was born on that year
daily reminder that people born on 2000 are 18 years old by now

I dunno man sounds like you just want to mod it, might as well go for it

Now textures in the browser can detect when I mouse over them, this means that I can start adding in texture selection very soon.

Oh dear.

I still think of kids born on '98 as 12 years old.

most of the people here are around 21, if they were adults before the exodus

I just turned 28

congrats

congrats, fred!

Kids born in 97’ will be old enough to drink in Burgerland this year. I know because I was born in 1997 and am considering a rewarding career as an alcoholic, seeing as how the economy is fucked and a diploma gets you nothing nowadays

a highschool diploma? if you're okay with wage slaving, learn a trade, small businesses pick up anyone who isn't a massive greasy autist

Anyways, I tweaked my gates and doors to at least resemble the keys now

Did Ken ever do anything about releasing PND3D's code? The demo he made runs circles around other cube engines.

sage for noprogress

FTFY

Oh god I'm a fucking ancient.

I thought that mainly oldfags took part in the exodus, people who have been on imageboards since the beginning of halfchan, who were AT LEAST 14 in 2004…

Which one? There's been so much exposure to normalfags all over twitter and reddit and everywhere since then that the population from the first exodus is probably less than 10% of the current userbase.

RIP

I've got a new weapon pickup system thanks to some help from another Doom modder, but due to limitations, I can't make the weapon sprites blink, so instead I've added a trophy base to the weapons. A fine compromise I think.
Hopefully this system works for the subweapons too otherwise I'll be hot water again.

So where's the demoday thread ?

ain't 02/02 in Burgeland. Not even in Europe. Do we have a volunter that will make the thread anyway?

Nevermind, I thought we were the second, sorry.

You'll always be first to me, user.

Thanks user.

no problem. I'll tell you it's the second on the very same second.

opencl is an amazing form of suffering

Okay, so since we're on page 6 at 300 posts, we might be able to wiggle through and make the demo day thread at any time, because it's "special". Either way, that's not for another 14 hours; 22 hours if you wait until 8 am (when it will be the most active), so it shouldn't be a problem.

I suggest we have our usual /agdg/ thread, and a sister Demo Day thread; the first post should be concise and perhaps link to the active agdg thread, the wiki, and the board? We should have an anchor post so demo submittees can be found easily. That thread should have discussion about specific games, while this thread can continue on nice and slowly.

Speaking of which, how's the turnout? I think last time we had maybe 2 or 3 presentable (but not final) games and a ton of WIP shit that was fairly broken, but still nice to see submitted anyways. Last time we had Speebot, but I think we've got MoM and Hellbreaker as featured games now, so that's good.

poal.me/n268fg

user Ken wrote that. Like 10 years after the build engine. He was 30.

the hotpockets really like it when you create the same thread 15 times in order to bump your own to page 13

Nothing wrong with making it when it's the last thread on page 12 :^)

well that's what demo days are, essentially. Even the less presentable ones either showed promose or were simply fun.

SYCL should replace it with C++, and basically be regular C++ code, though the tech isn't very mature yet.

khronos.org/sycl

Might be a good idea for anons to use the wiki to compose the OP together. I know a few people had been using that page to make it a bit more organised. I'm basically ready for what I intended to have for this demo day and will just be grateful to test against different hardware specs and network conditions.

ui_accept=[ InputEvent(MBUTTON,0), InputEvent(KEY,0) ]ui_cancel=[ InputEvent(KEY,0), InputEvent(MBUTTON,0) ]ui_down=[ InputEvent(KEY,0) ]ui_focus_next=[ InputEvent(KEY,0) ]ui_focus_prev=[ InputEvent(KEY,0) ]ui_left=[ InputEvent(KEY,0) ]ui_page_down=[ Vector2( 0, 0 ), Vector2( 0, 0 ), InputEvent(KEY,0) ]ui_page_up=[ Vector2( 0, 0 ), Vector2( 0, 0 ), InputEvent(KEY,0) ]ui_right=[ Vector2( 0, 0 ), Vector2( 0, 0 ), InputEvent(KEY,0) ]ui_select=[ InputEvent(KEY,0) ]ui_up=[ Vector2( 0, 0 ), Vector2( 0, 0 ), InputEvent(KEY,0) ]

no fucking wonder, thanks godot,

Time to grow up and out of *chans. You children enjoy your playpen. Goodbye.

Nice chaos emeralds

ok people, here is a testing preview so if anyone catches what I'm trying to do, and the conflict within

navigation alike, the game should take place in that menu navigation sense, each scene possibly being a menu, dialog, and other derived stuff
even actions, like buying, stuff happening could be done in that same style,

one of the ways that could be done, is manually building every single thing with the godot scene stuff
another way I though was fine, was using exported variables, which you can input from the editor itself, and the script does it for you
like for example the attributes shown in the pic, all you need is to fill them in and done,
the advantage there is that some of the things can be semi-automated, for example the menu only needs to point to the next scene, its label and icon and even tooltip can be fetched to generate it, easing the process
the downside however, is that the filling process does not really improve the workflow that much, you still need a lot of tedious filling in, and the code also needs to handle a bunch of stuff, complicating it

the third alternative (and something I was doing previously) is to have all the data filled in as json text files instead, the a loading process generates all the needed nodes
this method only really needs a more complicated loading chain, but the classes should almost the same as the second one, with a cleaner implementation (no godot scene needed)
the loading process also has the advantage of pipe-lining resources, if they require treatment, for example compressing textures

needless to say, this comes down to base game design under the hood,
I like some input from other developers with experience

Nigga, what the fuck.

welcome to the future, feels weird seeing the younger generation grow old, doesn't it?

I'm guessing it's GM, and you've probably got a variable declared in the player's local scope.

Yeah, that's the most logical conclusion, but I took measures to ensure that wouldn't be the case. I've been looking over it for hours and can't figure out what I'm missing.

I'm unsure what you're trying to do here user

No wait, even this doesn't make sense, because you can still access the variables of deactivated instances.

But they aren't getting updated automatically each step, right? So maybe that's causing the hiccup

Fuck if I know, GM is weird

I just experimented with how it works. Apparently, you can also edit the variables of instances that are deactivated, but only as long as you specify their ID, and don't just use the object name which normally affects every instance of that object. So if your player character is deactivated, obj_player.dong_size = "Huge" wouldn't affect it, but if you first stored its id in global.player, then global.player.dong_size = "Huge" would work.

I would go the export variables route. That's really what Godot's whole scene-node system is all about. I'm not sure what you mean by pipe-lining resources. When you add textures to a Godot project, they should automatically be imported and compressed, depending on your project's settings.

The fuck did that even happen?

IT WAS A LINE OF DEBUG CODE THAT I PUT IN MONTHS AGO THAT S P E C I F I C A L L Y FORBID NETWORKING FUNCTIONS FROM TAKING PLACE IF THE PLAYER OBJECTS DIDN'T EXIST.
God fucking damn it, I can't believe I forgot about that shit. Thanks for your help, user.

goodbye world

There's something satisfying about handling lots of little quality of life changes after someone plays your shit.

I'm not sure, that would seem to me like a pretty bad bug, but since I'm the only with it I may be the one screwing it up
the thing is I check engine.cfg entries with my own configs used for the game, that loading may be screwing it up

what didn't you understand?

they don't actually get compressed, depending on the original format they can even be very inefficient,
so in terms you could pipe in ImageTexture.set_image(argument) setting your compression method
it could be done both ways really, but I'm failing to see the advantage of having .tscn over .json, since the scenes would just a empty node with exported variables,
and they would even possibly make it hard since I'm trying to get data from other scenes into this one

on another topic I'm really torn over porting to godot 3 or not,
I really dislike some of the new things and definitely feels like they're dumbing down the engine read, open the flood gates of indie game hell
but they have some definite improvements, and doesn't look like they will maintain 2 well enough

2.1.5 is confirmed, it will have a better 3.0 exporter and any bug fixes needed. Further releases on the 2.1.X branch are unlikely.
steamcommunity.com/games/404790/announcements/detail/1442696667797281029

How many hours until the demo day thread is up? Deciding whether I'm staying up after work tonight since I get off work at12 midnight mountain time anyways. I could post it from work too if it's up earlier.

I hope the vols know you guys are gonna make a special demo day thread.
We already had instances of threads being nuked for wrong reasons, make sure whoever does the OP gets the point across.

Are there any artists out there who aren't too generate? Where would I find them? I don't have a particular game idea in mind, really, I'd just prefer to work with someone and not have to do any art.

Good point. I just assume they knew already simce it was advertised a few times in the op the last few threads, but I'm never the guy in charge of that stuff so I dont know

Anywhere between 14 and 6 hours. I'm pushing for the former, and personally hoping to submit around noon.

Also report the new thread for sticky - that will at least let them know.

Try art related sites like conceptart(dot)org, gumroad, hell even dA
Maybe ask around on our >>>/loomis/ board for aspiring newcomers.
Whatever you do, though, stay the fuck away from 4cuck's /ic/, for your own sake.

Mark gave stickying the demo thread an A-OK when I talked to him.

90% of the posts on loomis are one guy tracing his foot fetish pictures

Believe it or not, it's still better than 4/ic/.
not by much, though
You gotta look in places that also relate to what you actually want to make.
There isn't many artists who can do everything well and will do it for cheap.

I was hoping to find someone who also had an interest in game development, and ideas of their own. Even if they're a beginner, I just want to make something fun with someone ;-;

yeah that's it, godot is still too fucking broken for me, that shit won't work

This seems like an awful idea, christ

Welcome to foundations of OOP

mobile development is basically hacking things together until everything runs. Sometimes objects or functions want to keep their variables to themselves, and that is not okay. I advocate for open boarders across all memory addresses.

that is a foundation of OOP at all nigger

because they are to fucking busy making bad apps to study proper programming of sending a value without coupling the two objects together

#YesAllMemory
#NotAllFunctions

A memory "leak" is merely a slur against data trying to be free. Stop oppressive garbage collectors!

i can see the flowers

Functions defining variables that linger out of scope is literally what methods are. See:
class x{ var v; method(y,z){ v = 5; /*function modifies "v", which is out of scope*/ ... }}

this is literally wrong
all methods take an implied instance of the class with the function call(this in c++, or self in python), it's implied that anything called on an object has access to it's state unless specified otherwise(through static).
not only this, if you only think that variables in the function should be in scope, you pretty much put globals to the same sort of situation.
also, the fundamental principle of OOP essentially boils down to creating objects that encapsulate their state in a way that's practical for use.
for example, a array object with the function sort, or a keyboard object with the function getkeystate

You are this close to actually figuring out the problem of what said, yet you still have to go and be this retarded about it? He should have said declare instead of define, since that's what his image talks about, but instead of just mentioning that you go and say something retarded while ignoring that the scope of a method is the class it is a method of. Lower scope inherits from higher scope, else for loops for instance would be pretty fucking useless.

That looks nice, but terribly old and I'd have to put more work into it to make it use modern tech than it's probably worth.

I mean, kinda. It'd be really extensive and it'd do way more than the scope of what the game currently has to offer (obviously), so it'd be more of a "base" than an actual engine that supplies all my needs. For example, I want some halfway decent persistent AI content that I'm 98% sure the engine doesn't support. But, it is open source, and I can always make my own branch to fix that.

>for loops for instance
:^)

I meant more in the case of something like: class x { // no vars here! func foo() { // >writing to undefined variable x.y = 10; }}

The "class scope" is implied in the exact same way that the "global scope" is implied. So, while the original "out of scope" claim isn't exactly true as it's literally impossible to modify variables out of scope, what it means at a fundamental level is that you are manipulating variables that are in an implied scope instead of variables that are explicitly declared to be in scope.

Yes, I am putting global variables in the same situation. Declaring variables in a separate, implicit "class scope" is the same as declaring variables in a separate, implicit "global scope" as far as the amount of assumptions you have to make with the syntax is concerned.

The difference between control flow and "class scope" is that control flow is contained to one function.

Now, I know what you are going to say, that this is stupid because I can just translateclass x = new x instance;x.method(y,z);intostruct x = new x;function(x,y,z);
But, I can also translatevar v;function(x,y){ v = 4; ... }main(){ function(x,y);}intomain(){ var v; ... function(x,y,v);}. Its purely a question about how strict our syntax should be with defining scope and how much should be implied. When you are writing code inside of a class, your code within the class has the same amount of things being implied in it as code outside of a class that arbitrarily makes modifications to a collection of global variables.

I'm not trying be absolutist about it, since sometimes global variables can make code simpler and better, or can be used in a positive way. I'm just pointing out that "Objects" are a way that programmers can avoid realizing that they want to write code that modifies a bunch of variables not declared in their functions.

Also please remember I am just talking about syntax and not functions of the code.

Is that really so different? I don't think so.
Unless I declared it in my function call, or inside my function, I shouldn't be thinking about it.

So this is what wage slavery is like

thougths? was thinking of having the ships in my game slowly getting less rounded and boxlike tward the inevitable long hard dicks in the sky the more they left the tankie role and entered into the more rouge archetype,hoping to avoid the triangles man the fucking aerodynamic triangles in space

"there is a bastard down that hole and the only way we can get him out is to go in there one at a time and drag him out ourselves and GOD DAMIT IT IS MY FUCKING TURN"

have you tried meth? a lot of the seasonal workers around here use it during harvest to pull 16 hr days for the few weeks they can make 20$ a hr

What the fuck kind of ship is that

Straight-up looks like Descent

a untextured one?

The shape of it looks really weird I dunno

never hread of it im going to need to look further into this

was going for if Ned Kelly made a space ship.

This Ned Kelly?
the fuck are you making

This looks a bit too incomprehensible, texturing might help but you may need to remove some faces. Maybe it's just the quartered view that looks bad and jumbled, idk. is great, it's got a good and simple shape, and an easily recognizable silhouette.

did you not like the space rednecks from starcraft? the whatever works attitude to design rather than trying to make everything perfect ordered and clean.

I don't really like anything about Starcraft in general

I like the general idea if that's what you're trying to do, but I haven't seen enough to say I flat out like it

Me and my hideous pixelshit are
READY
for Demo Day

Your camera makes me want to kill myself, lerp that shit a bit
Apart from that good job

I'm still not giving up, damn it.

Same

Okay so I'm currently basing a lot of my movements and scripts on which animations are being played by my animator.
This is getting pretty messy and complex.

If I made an Enumerator with all my possible states

[/code]
public PlayerState playerState = PlayerState.Idle;

public enum PlayerState {
Running,
Idle,
Jumping,
}
[/code]

And then ran a coroutine every frame to check which animation is being played and change the enumerator accordingly, would that be a bad idea?
Anyone know better solutions?

That sounds kind of backwards to me. Shouldn't the animation be defined by the mechanics of the game?

Well fuck I'm about to pass out and still don't have a lick od gameplay. Most classes are set up, except the actors. Maybe I can get 8h sleep and burn through it in a few hours.

I wasted 2h trying to track down a memory leak in the draw code since I was making a new string every frame but it's hard to optimize that

An enum type is not an enumerator. An enumerator helps with foreach iteration and is something completely different

cmon, user, let the guy have his enumators

Did we ever get confirmation on the Demo Day thread or how its going to work? This time seems a bit less organized than the previous one. I don't mind either way but I'm debating hitting the bed right now.

How can I possibly know when the animation has changed if I don't check for them?

They are, but to stop other things from happening script-wise i'm checking which animation I'm in.

Sorry, got confused. I only know how to use stuff, I'm really unfamiliar with names and such

I'd imagine there's an event built into the animator you could add an action to.

I'm going to assume you don't know how to leverage Properties correctly. Although, given that you're using Unity(?), I also assume that you don't have control over the underlying classes.

There are two types of objects in C#: value types and references types. Essentially, language primitives (int, char, enums, etc) are structs (except for string), and everything else is a class. Structs are value types, which are copied every time you assign them or pass them as a parameter. Classes are reference types, and you don't actually pass them around, but rather a reference. This makes designing big objects cheap, since instead of copying 20+ bytes to check something, you just pass 4 bytes worth of data (the reference)

Fields are just raw variables. Properties are a wrapper around a field that expose a public get and/or set method. So instead of making a method for GetAnimation() you'd just have Animation {get; set;} as a property.

What's really cool is that you can extend the property if you need to:

public Animation CurrentAnimation { get { return _currentAnimation; } set { if (_currentAnmation != value) { _currentAnimation = value; if (OnCurrentAnimationChanged != null) OnCurrentAnimationChanged(this, EventArgs.Empty); } }}

So basically, every time you set the property, regardless of course, it would look at the private backing field, see if it's different, update it if necessary and then call any events it might have. This is unfortately fairly boilerplatey and overkill in 99% of situations, but it's a nice trick to have.

Also I like to recommend people read these:
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/keywords/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/operators/index

Not that I can find.
I know I can find the name, the hash and a bunch of other info of what is playing, but that's about it.

What I would have to do is have one giant function that checks for every single event in my animation tree and using a switch sets the enum to the correct thing I need

Oh that's interesting.
I couldn't understand it the way it was explained in the microsoft docs so I just stayed clear from it.

I still think I'm going to need to use enums at some point since full animations are composed by a bunch of smaller ones that I have broken down, however this is pretty much what I need.

I want to integrate a toolkit with my C++ project, that toolkit being Modern Text Analysis or MeTA.
meta-toolkit.org
However I don't know where to start with something like this. I've only ever really created small projects and I've never had to deal with getting something like this to work in code.

please explain linear and angular velocities to me and which one should i use to nullify movement

Linear velocity makes stuff go from point a to point b, angular velocity makes stuff spin. An airplane traveling in a straight line has a high linear velocity but no angular velocity. The airplane's propeller, on the other hand, has a very high angular velocity because of how quickly it's spinning.
If you don't want your object to spin, nullify angular velocity. If you don't want your stuff to move from one point in space to another, nullify linear velocity.

thanks, why can't anyone just explain stuff like that, everyone feels the need to write a fucking schoolbook out of nothing
in the end i put the objects to sleep

Here is an update on my map editor's texture system, I can visually select and apply textures to brushes from my texture editor which is already an order of magnitude better than the previous map editor's texture browser, so this is a big step forward. Later I will update the export and save formats to actually record the texture system as it is now, so that I can actually load textured maps from the main engine.

The other explanations are more precise and dense with information than my explanation.

Another image of the texture system. My UV coordinates need to be scaled down a lot on this by default.

Any update on the Demo Day topic? It's been a few hours.

I'm not releasing my demo.

That's not what I'm asking. Haven't heard if the designated topic creator is intending to post soon or not.

Nice. Will you be able to rotate brushes?

Demoday is already half over for me and I don't have a demo anyway, so I'll make myself useful and make the thread I guess.
Should I make a new thread on /agdg/ as well, or just link to the old one? That one only has 13 replies, could just ask the boardowner to change it to a general demoday thread.

is this good enough? title is:
2/2 WINTER'S DEMO DAY IS HERE! OFFICIAL DEMO DAY THREAD ~ Holla Forums + /agdg/

It's good, go for it.

I would instruct demo posters to link to their AGDG thread so the demo thread isn't cluttered with instructions etc. Like last time

how about this?

demo day thread is live

Thanks user. Today, you will be the OP that isn't a faggot.

I forgot to prepare demo day stuff in advance, i have no videos nor screen shoots to show

Well make some.

It's okay. I'm rushing my video demo and don't even have a public demo for playing yet. Uploading now.

I ain't gonna make it to demo day, boys. But with any luck this update will be out before the next demo day.
Currently working on a timer for the new subweapon pickup system. I can't make them blink anymore due to the weird setup I've got and due to limitations of Zandronum.

did you tried making the blink effect on sprites?

I can't. In order to make the disguise sprite blink I'd have to give it dummy items to jump between states, and when I did that, it worked fine in GZDoom and Zandronum offline, but the moment I took it online it threw an absolute pisserfit and spazzed out at mach 20.

When was the last version of C# you used? A fair amount of the boilerplate has been abstracted.
public Animation CurrentAnimation {get; set;}

I pirated a dozen different Unity/C# books, mainly to see how shitty they are. This is the culmination of a 300 page book, and it produces absolute Yandere-dev tier code at every turn. On top of being terrible, it makes everything much, much harder than it actually should be, and anyone who religiously followed the book would be put at a DISADVANTAGE before starting their own project. The worst part is that these shitters don't have the knowledge to know the problems with these tutorials, or they wouldn't seek them out.

PDF related

I should have let somebody else do the anchor, now i will think everyone is replying to me

it's the most (you)s you'll get in your life. enjoy the moment while it lasts.

why do they do this?

what if there's good information in here?

oh yeah, he also made some mobile trash that makes this face

I have got more before and will continue to do so.
I made some of the infographics during #gg and the exodus
I'm working right now on a webm of the show by kerrys dorsey with Shindol's emergence as the background

yes I did like it

bet you're a filthy young fag

FUCK

>I'm working right now on a webm of the show by kerrys dorsey with Shindol's emergence as the background

ok, that will get (you)s

Don't worry user. Ingame chat doesn't work.

I knew I shouldn't have touched that before uploading. It should be server side, I'll fix it and rehost.

I use C# 4.5, but I mean that whole process of setting up events, polling, and checking, basically that whole pattern I posted for every relevant variable … it's a lot of effort.

I want to throw up

checked and wow

Oh gosh. Tell me more

Need to level design quick and the default unity tools are shit

Anybody got any experience with this?

assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/sabrecsg-level-design-tools-47418

In the future I may support rotating brushes I guess, although it creates some messy geometry. Right now i'm altering the formats that the editor exports to be aware of the texture system.

Damn, that looks juicy as fuck. Please document/do an in depth report of all the techniques and shit you used to make this afterwards.

Nothing looks particularly hard, but it the end result looks fantastic

What the fuck is a Boolean tool supposed to be? No idea how good this is but on account of this word abuse I'd already call it a scam.

That's true- the whole time I have spent programming this, the difficulty isn't any one individual feature, but rather needing to add on a huge amount of features in order to get it to be useful. There are certain features that are very hard though. I'm working on a BSP compiler for this, and you need to know linear algebra to get anywhere. There is also CSG which I don't know if I will add yet, but is pretty important for anything like this.

The graphics are all done in OpenGL 1.1 since its fast to write, although the code isn't pretty since I wanted to write it quickly. It's called "Sigma Editor 2" because it's the second map editor i've made, so there are a lot of mistakes that I could learn from.

last screen before I leave for a little bit, this is it in HD. Saving maps with texture information is currently bugged but it will work soon.

A boolean tool is something typical of 3D modeling programs, I think it means that you can create a 3D model and then use a brush to make it concave

There more you know. Disregard my post then.

I'm kinda stuck in my development because I don't know enough to design something good.
Is it better to just go for something super simple and then come back later if ever or should I persist with trying to make something good even though it's a huge time sink?

You should work on whatever keeps you motivated. A simple game with a small scope is great for a 1MA dev because you will hit small goals and milestones instead of a daunting mile long list of features.

For example my own game is a very simple state based recreation of a puzzle game. I don't know how to handle actions or modding well so I just focused on what I know well

Are you using 1.1 for compatibility? How much of the 3d math and stuff did you have to implement yourself?

Godot 3.0's Real-time GI is sexy as hell.

I am using 1.1 because it's really fast to write. The editor isn't being written for compatiblity so it doesn't need to support linux, or anything like that. The 3D math that gets used on the data is entirely implemented by me, but for the graphics I just use OpenGL's helper functions like glrotate/gltranslate/gluPrespective ,etc. because it's faster to write.

OpenGL 1.1 is the kind of API that is very capable but also incredibly fast to get results with so that's the primary motivation, I am not trying to make pretty graphics or optimized graphics, just trying to get new features into my program faster.

What's the performance like?

How do i model a cave that doesn't look like shit

Have you ever been in caves? If not, change that.

its pretty good, but i have the feeling it doesn't scale very well

I didn't explain myself well. I didn't mean a simple game I meant a simple part of a game.
In this case I'm trying to generate random items and I have a really basic version working but I've spent days trying to design something that is more interesting. But it's one of those things that I just don't know enough about to design yet I really want to avoid being way into the project and realising my "simple" version has crippled me.
idk this is probably one of those things I should coin toss and move on

Runs smooth for me, but I have great specs. My less powerful PC runs slow. You can also bake lightmaps, which are much more performance friendly.

(checked)
I'd say persist, mostly because that's what I do. I come into every task with no knowledge of how to do it, other than a general idea of what MIGHT work. After hours of Googling, studying examples of how others did it, attempts and many, many rewrites of the entire code, I usually have something workable.
Case in point, I just finally perfected and semi-optimized the lighting I've spent five days on.

Did you use some example for your character or did you build it from scratch?Because i cant find a 3d character where you can turn the camera manually in the example projects.

Scratch. Here's a stripped-down version of my Player.gd
hastebin.com/webalurafe.gd
My actual code looks a bit different, since I'm using a FSM plugin (github.com/kubecz3k/FiniteStateMachine). I'm actually rewriting an older version of the Player.gd which I made without a real state machine and ended up being a big block of unreadable spaghetti code.

here is an update i guess i'm not sure about the "fatigued" look i think it breaks up the shapes a bit to mutch…

thanks this is really helpful.
how did you find out how to handle the mouse input? i have tried searching in the docs but couldnt find it so i resorted to using the arrow keys for camera rotation so i can at least see if i can rotate the move direction correctly

I think I found it ages ago in a Godot 2 first-person addon.
I would recommend using the in-engine class reference (and the help search next to it).

my dog is stopping progress, please help

Teach him to program in return for playtime and treats, he'll still be better than hiring a pajeet.

this

Down, Boy!

Thank you, I got scared there for a second

put this on ready()
Input.set_mouse_mode(Input.MOUSE_MODE_CAPTURED)
and pic related somewhere else

Well fuck, I accidentally figured out a good process to make a nice crumbly floor texture

damn doggos, they don't us to succeed, all they want is for us to trow the stick and fill their bowls
amirite?

taking a look at this thread during my dev breaks really makes me happy

that is pretty damn good user, I'm not even gonna try to understand those math functions
out of curiosity, but how did you came up with those?

Not the guy but It's a basic mouse handler i figured it out by downloading from the asset lib.
If you're on 3.0 pic related is the ported version of

This just feels wrong, I don't know

ye

oh boy, time for a new bread

Here you go,

NEW THREAD EVERYBODY