Dumb Bullshit in Vidya

In order to get the good ending of 3D Dot Game Heroes, you must find two hidden fairies. The first isn't that bad. However, the second one is bullshit, but not because of where it's hidden. To reach the second fairy, you must beat the second to final dungeon. After that, you must go to the final area of the game, enter an optional cave, and reach the end of it. This wouldn't be bad at all, except, right after the second to final dungeon, you are encouraged to go back to the starting castle to get your final spell and open up the final dungeon. You have no reason to not immediately go there, and you'll probably have plenty of warp items to instantly take you there for a quick visit. However, once you visit the castle and get your final spell, the fairy disappears forever. There's no reason or explanation given. It's just gone, and you're forever locked out of getting the good ending. And, unless you find out, through outside sources, where the fairies are, you'll have no idea you missed it. You could, potentially, spend hours combing the game for the last fairy, not knowing you've screwed yourself out of getting it. I love the game, but who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Where do you ultra casuals come from? You want to save the world you fucking work for it.

That isn't the "no turning back now" point, though. It's literally a short stop, at the very place you started the game at, to get your last spell and to open up the final dungeon. It's also right next to the main town of the game, where you'll be going, anyway, to upgrade your swords and complete a few side quests.

Not even worth it, you can sweep the endgame with just Yuna's final weapon.

I know, but I'm trying to go full autism. It feels like I could play it for eight hours straight and get nowhere, then pick it up one day and get it in the first ten minutes. I hate that shit.

Man, that's honestly even worse. It baffles me why devs still do things like that. I understand that they used to do it to help sell strategy guides and such, but FFXII was released well past that era. Does the international release fix it?

It fixes it by removing the missable spawn entirely. The whole Zodiac Spear meme is overblown because it isn't a very useful weapon. In the International release only certain jobs can equip it so its even more worthless.

This picture reminds me, I hate it when basic weapons look nice and practical but the best weapons look like deformed fucktarded abominations.
I'm playing DQ Heroes II and a godsend feature is being able to change the skin of your weapon, so I make everything look like the non-retarded basic gear.

You got a specific game in mind?

Digital Devil Saga

Thats not the worst one. Having to dodge 200 lightning bolts in a row is complete bullshit.

They used to do shit like that to sell strategy guides.

In Persona 1 you grt the bad end if you answer the dialogue wrong at what would be roughly 50% of the way through the game. Getting the bad end means the story ends abruptly about 75% through. There is no clear correct option in the dialogue that decides whether you get the bad end, and you won't even know if you got the bad end until many hours later.
It is a fun game but boy that made me mad.

3D Dot Game Heroes is a ps3 game, though. It was released well after the point people started using the internet instead of strategy guys.

Much easier than the chocobo shit since you can actually fucking control it.

The lightning bolts are super easy to do. There's a spot in the thunder plains where every time you walk over it lightning will strike. You can dodge 200 bolts in like 20 minutes.

This is just like Cave Story's "Don't go down the pit to check what just fell down, instead just skip it" sequence to save Curly Brace.

Nothing you've done before prepares you for this moment and everyone will learn about it through external sources.

You're kinda correct. Cave Story is developed with multiple playthroughs in mind. You're supposed to get the crappy booster in your first playthrough. Then, at the end, you're supposed to read Booster's journal and see the big flashing text about how he can make a better booster if he survives. The bullshit part isn't "how are you supposed to know not to investigate him when he falls your first time", but "how are you supposed to know that ignoring him causes him to survive." There's a little hint where it's implied Booster willfully passes on because he managed to give you the booster and fulfilled his last wish, and thus, if he doesn't give you the booster, he hangs on so that he can give it to you later, but it hardly counts.

Drakengard's ending E is bullshit. To get it, you have to acquire every weapon in the game. Most of these can be tedious to get, but not awful. There are a few, however, that you would probably never get without some kind of guide. For instance, Kingsblood requires you to take a specific path through a set of criss-crossing corridors and rooms (pics related are the level map and the path you have to take), with no indication of the path or that you even have to do that to get the weapon.

The game flat out tells you there's a better version of the booster. Meanwhile, both your gun and missiles get better upgrades the longer you put off upgrading them.
The real bullshit is that the tow rope inexplicably disappears when you get the mk1 (and if you fetch it before the fight, the door locks behind you).

Ursula's quest/merc missions in Xenoblade 2. You basically spam a series of merc missions over and over for several hours. Whoever came up with it deserves a beating.
That and the rare blade bonding RNG.

It flat-out tells you there's a better version of the booster. It doesn't flat-out tell you that you're just supposed to ignore Booster to get it. There's a complete disconnect between "Booster can make a better booster" and "If you ignore Booster when he falls and dies, he actually doesn't die and gives you that better booster". There's no way to come to that conclusion on your own. I love Cave Story, but that part is incredible bullshit.
Saving Curly is also pretty shitty. If you don't use a guide, you have to re-do the same shit over and over again essentially to figure out what the right sequence of actions is. The first time I just tried to carry her out with me. When I found the bed, I put her in the bed and left, and she died. I ended up having to re-do that whole section like 7 times before she survived, and it's not really satisfying because it's essentially just guessing until it works.

obligatory

This bullshit. Some chick is wandering around town saying "I lost my mirror". You know you have to find the mirror. In every single other case where you have to find something, you figure out where it is, and go pick it up. This is the only case where you have to go to a random house, duck, and attack the background (which you've never been able to interact with before).
I spent fucking hours exploring every cave and town for this shit (because she never specifically said it was in the same town as her, and I already scoured the whole town). It never occurred to me to crouch and attack items in the background.

I had no problem with that. I did get stuck on the hidden village though

Saving Curly is complete bullshit. There is a tiny amount of sense in the Booster thing, but only if your line of thought is "well if I don't take it from him now, maybe he has more time to tinker with it and make it better." That's a pretty uncertain guess to gamble an entire playthrough's worth of time on though. I certainly didn't make it but in retrospect it makes a slight amount of sense. Maybe the journal text was less ambiguous in the original Japanese?

It fucked me up. It's not a vital quest by any means (I think it only gets you a non-mandatory spell, but you don't know that it's not necessary when you do it). There's literally no way to tell that you have to attack the background, and nothing in the game beforehand prepared you for that possibility. I only found it later by accident while fucking around in the town. Such stupid shit.

That would have made sense if he didn't die when he gave you the booster. The sane thought is that he would have just died anyway. It would have to be clear that he wouldn't have died if you didn't talk to him. Maybe the Japanese made it more clear.

None of the final weapons are worth it. By the time you reach that point in the game you've almost certainly broken the game so hard via the sphere grid that everything besides the optional bosses go down in a few hits anyway.

The only one worth it is Auron's because First Strike is a pain in the ass to synthesize and it's just so easy to get.

This piece of shit right here.
Learning about it after after getting through most of the way utterly destroyed my motivation to complete it. I didn't even care if it was an overrated weapon that was perfectly reasonable to skip, the fact that it even existed just boiled me.

FUCK THAT BIRD BITCH CUNT
Sprained my finger as a kid trying to beat her on cuckooland

So much of that game seems like it was designed to not be fun. Maxing out the sphere grid was a horrible grind, getting the materials to get good skills on your weapons was a horrible grind, removing every single stat sphere and replacing them with better spheres was an absolutely monstrous grind, getting the materials to then make end/postgame weapons was both a massive grind and entirely RNG since you were bribing monsters for hundreds of thousands of gil in the hopes that they'd drop something good. Holy fuck, it baffles me every day how bad the actual game part of that game was. The music was great, the art was great, the writing was trash, but the actual play was a disaster.