Panzer Dragoon Saga was released 20 years ago today. For those who are unaware...

Panzer Dragoon Saga was released 20 years ago today. For those who are unaware, PDS is the only RPG in the Panzer Dragoon series. The series is directed primarily by Yukio Futatsugi who was the head of Sega's Team Andromeda (smilebit, sega sports R&D) and himself was an industry newcomer who directed his first game at age 23. His team continued development of Sega's at the time most expensive game ever made, Panzer Dragoon Saga starting in 1995 and releasing it in 1998, the team was faced with many problems with several team members dying during the development, some due to disease, others suicide. The development all happening while Sega's oncoming future was looking remarkably bleak with the dreamcast well known internally to be Sega's last platform and that the company itself was headed towards troubled times. Against what seems like the will of god, the game was finished and the team that created it dissolved, considering themselves cursed.

The original composer also announced that a rearranged soundtrack is being produced, complete with Saori Kobayashi at the helm and Eri Itoh preforming the vocals.
you can listen to the arrange here:
store.bravewave.net/album/resurrection-panzer-dragoon-saga-20th-anniversary-arrangement-2

What are your thoughts on Panzer Dragoon Saga, the Moebius inspired meta-narrative masterpiece? Have you played the greatest RPG ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!PUxm2TwK!sO4I2iZWsm5sIYZHhNR73Nv8T_CjrFZxZhzOPHgCSHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=i61Xsmrsd10
theringer.com/2018/1/29/16940902/1998-video-games-panzer-dragoon-saga-missing-masterpiece
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've yet to play the games, but I love the series' music. Saga and Orta in particular.

The soundtracks are all superb, what's interesting is they all sound quite different from the bombastic symphonies and heavy electronics of the first to the extremely minimalist Zwei, the tribal and dramatic Saga and the almost whimsical sounding Orta. Despite the different aesthetic quality of the music, they all sound distinctly Panzer Dragoon and I couldn't see them fitting anywhere else. I think it also helps that much of the time the music perfectly fits the pace of the games during their respective scenes.

Does the game emulate well on a wii? I might give it a go if it does.

So early in the morning and I already want to kill myself

no, this game is essentially the ultimate test for saturn emulation and it is the most demanding game ever released on the system.

he joined Sega at 21 and was given an entire team at 23 and released the killer app for sega's brand new system. The industry sure has changed a lot. I think his fine taste in comics helped.

MY NIGGA!

This always saddens me immensely when I hear about it
Did they include anything as tribute to them in the game?

No, nothing like that. There's interviews discussing how it effected the developers left. One committed suicide after. This was classic game development crunch, leaving the job only for a few hours to return and keep going at it, and otherwise sleeping at the desk.

I'll be posting a download for the rearranged ost soon.

You do not get hired now for knowing your shit. You have to have the right (left leaning) politics and have connections.

this is the new rearranged soundtrack
mega.nz/#!PUxm2TwK!sO4I2iZWsm5sIYZHhNR73Nv8T_CjrFZxZhzOPHgCSHQ

Kids were fucking adults at age 12 back a couple of centuries ago. God damn explorers and shit.

Thank you very much!

fuck off back to leddit and never come back

So are you from leddit, cuckchan, or a just plain Nintoddler.

Your loss fag.

it does, it also breaks the expectation of an RPG having a party. Unlike other RPGs, it encourages you to constantly switch through build types to deal with opponents in the most effective way by giving you greater rewards in combat after judging your performance in battle.

most RPGs don't, and this isn't what matters in an RPG. A good game doesn't need gimmicks like this

it does, and it's better than planet escape tournament and bald guys gate will ever be

brevity is the soul of wit, and panzer dragoon saga is smarter than every RPG since

TRIPS CONFIRM.

I would say you need to be 18 to post here but then I realized 1998 was 20 years ago.

This thread got my attention but
can I actually play this game without buying original hardware? Why isn't there a magnet/vola for the game, and a quick guide on how to run it?

Did you make this thread just so we would suck your dick over your "patrician" taste in games?

I made the thread because it's a 20th anniversary and great games should be celebrated. If you want to be spoonfed so badly, what are you doing here?

I loved Panzer Dragoon Orta, that was one of the best looking games ever for the original Xbox, Plus it came bundled with the original Saturn game as a bonus.

I was wondering if Crimson Dragon for the Xbone was any good, but I've heard it's a poor clone.

Picked up Saga at Magfest 3 years ago. Didn't realize I beat it almost to the day of its anniversary that year. I absolutely loved it. A shame they're never gonna port it to anything else ever, and not as many people will be able to play it. I would even love a spiritual successor. Thanks for giving me an excuse to play it again.

I know Crimson Dragon exists, but like I said just above you, I've heard it's just a poor clone.

I've yet to play crimson dragon, I just know about some mild controversy over the game not having normal controls - just kinect, so normal controls were added in before the game launched. I wonder how it turned out. The few pictures I've seen of it make it look really impressive. Saori Kobayashi still doing the music is at least a sort of point of confidence. It's hard to hear the music she produced and not be stricken by its magnificence.

It was a launch title, so I'm guessing it'll be fairly cheap now anyway. I'm going to have a look at how much it is…

The Saturn was unpopular in general in America, were you not alive back then or something?

I'm 30, but nice ad hom.

Try not to make it so obvious you're lying next time JRPGfag.

this is sad. We get it, you're too young and want to fit in, but my advice is to lurk more.

trying2hard4me

it's not even obscure, you're really just showing off how little you know at this point.

So it's $20AU, which is probably $2 and a Cheeseburger in US$.

Might be worth it if it was on a sale or something.

The original was great, if a bit too hard for me when I was a kid- still liked it though.

NICE RED TEXT, RETARD

We're on Holla Forums. Obscure is a Japanese exclusive PC/Mac game by a one-off Japanese horror artist. Panzer Dragoon is really far from obscure as an iconic title from a 90's sega console. you can't even redtext, how am I supposed to believe you aren't new?

I'd try it if I had an xbone. 20 bucks is nothing.

beating it on hard mode is a great challenge.

I don't even remember if I beat the version that was included in "Pandora's box" in Panzer Dragoon Orta…

Even that shit was years ago. I know that Orta doesn't work properly with 360 backwards compatibility and you can only play the first 2 stages before it crashes.

also good job with that red text you literal nigger

Sega was still in the eye of public and the thing still had decent marketing so it would still ring a bell today to someone who's even a bit savvy with video games. Second off obscure would be something that's buried, nothing on the Saturn is buried because not as many people bought as they did PlayStation and Mario64 machines. Even then it was the premier game on the console next to Daytona.
Lmaoing at your "life".
>>>/reddit/
>>>/cuckchan/

good job hotpockets, you weren't faggots today

Can you fags all stop bickering and be constructive for fuck's sake?

The last ever official Panzer Dragoon thing SEGA ever did was a Track specifically devoted to it in Sonic All-Stars Racing: Transformed, which had the Dragon and the music, along with some of the enemies and location props.

I wish they'd do another, or at least remaster the old ones.

The 360's BC is that poor huh? That's a shame. If you've yet to beat them I'd strongly urge you to give them a shot. I personally played the series on the Saturn and despite a few shortcomings of the first game's performance (20fps target/sustained) it's a tremendous challenge and the final encounter with the black dragon is a fantastic fight in classical video game boss engagements with a sort of 3D game play that is a rarity for rail shooters. The feeling of dodging incoming tail swipes you see coming at you from far off is a fantastic one as it passes by a massive chunk of the screen with you swinging to the corner of your flight path to evade. It's chaotic and so much fun.

I do have this from a member of digital foundry's staff.

I fucking love Digital Foundry… They keep the fuckers who develop games honest by showing frame analysis, tearing, sync etc. and stop them from bullshitting on performance specs.

Plus, every DFR they do is basically something from my childhood- so it gives me a mad nostalgia buzz. I'm a 1986 fag

I forgot to add, the 360 BC wasn't terrible, but there were a fuckload of issues with the whole nVidia to ATi switch between consoles.

Funnily enough, the Xbone's BC for OG Xbox games is completely based around the 360's software emulation, which is the only reason I could ever see for people buying one really.

I'd like to see more documentation and coverage of how the xbone handles original xbox games. They all pretty much at least targeted and stayed at 30fps with plenty of games running at 60. I'm curious how they look on the xbone. Of the BC games available black, ninja gaiden black, grabbed by the ghoulies and crimson skies seem like the best of them, but it's been a while since this feature launched. I hope the next wave of BC is a lot more than just that.

Crimson Dragon plays kinda like 1, 2, and Orta, but its nowhere near as refined. I just want another like Saga.

I've played BLACK on Xbone BC, and it bumps up the visuals pretty nicely, so texture filtering, AA, and general resolution are expanded. Because Australia never got the HD component cables for the OG Xbox I finally get to see how good the game actually looked back in its day.

I looked up youtube video of it and I swear it looks a lot better on the original xbox. Much greater contrast. I play it on a really high end 480p crt monitor which may be a part of it, but I wonder if the xbone is doing anything like how the wii u handles wii games by screwing with the colors, making them appear more washed out.

Well like I said. The Australian release OG Xbox only had the standard Yellow, Red and White RGB output, or if you were really lucky like I was you could get the "Advanced AV Pack" which added an Optical Out, and S-Video out. The Component out (RGB, RW cables) couldn't work with our Xboxes because they were missing pins in the back of the port that would receive an output- I found that out when I ordered a Component cable from the US and it connected, but didn't recognise the HD settings in the menus.

that has to do with the firmware, if you softmod your xbox you can get it to send out an RGBHV signal for VGA or a proper y/pb/br signal for component video from 480p to 1080i. It's all software that's controlling that, nothing limiting you on the hardware end of things.

If you could point me in the right direction to find out how to do it, I'd be appreciative. I've already taken the Clock Capacitor out of my OG Xbox to stop it from killing the board, now all I need is to find a way to output HD (or for Microsoft to hurry up with the BC work) and I'll have a fuckton of my old games to replay.

If you can quit being a newfaggot loser you can always hightail it to Reddit where they'd love your company.

I'm not entirely sure how it works for PAL, but I believe that you'll need a black label copy of splinter cell 1 (not classics) on the xbox. soft mods use an exploit in how the game loads saves to load a dashboard to install other dashboards like unleashX. I've only ever done NTSC xboxes, but pretty much get an xbox usb to usb female cable, compatible flash drive (SDCZ50-004G is a good and cheap sandisk one that is confirmed to work.) If you aren't on the correct MS dash (5960) you can toss a copy of halo 2 in, try to connect to xbox live, and it'll update your dash.

try to refer to this video youtube.com/watch?v=i61Xsmrsd10 looks like a euro made it which would have more pertinent info for yourself. It's not hard, just takes a bit of time, and soon you can get into the territory of uploading tons of games to the hard drive, upgrading the hard drive, running emulators, and playing lots of games on the system. Like I said it's a pretty big subject that I'd rather not shift the focus of the thread to.

yeah I made that, but only with NTSC in mind

Absolute legend. I do still have the original Splinter Cell, so that will help the whole process a bit.

Thanks Bruh.

It is? I came here to be remembered in its 20th year anniversarry. Only had Panzer Dragoon for Saturn as a young sibling, too immature to grasp beyond the water level. One day i'll beat it, the intro and song I keep in my mind still for uplift, it is a beauty to hear.

Yes we did.

Horse shit. I used component cables on mine.

that's cute, it reminds me of something you might see on a forum from 10 years ago or something

thanks, I'm glad my thumbnail and my taste for cute anime girls on the xbox will be immortalized for all time

None of you ever found the secret message either, get it together

Oh really? Then please, show me the part of your system menu that says "Video Output" with a resolution displayed?

Because I know for a fact that on the AU region consoles you can only select PAL 50/60 and Aspect Ratio.

A great franchise with a great RPG inserted in.
I always wanted to know more about the poor guys at Team Andromeda and the development of all games from Saturn.
One of the developers said something about "regreting that it cold not be made for Playstation" and "wanting it so sell more".
This, along with the suicide and other deaths must be a hell of a story to tell.

I tried archiving this site but it wouldn't work, archive.is gives a network error whenever I try. theringer.com/2018/1/29/16940902/1998-video-games-panzer-dragoon-saga-missing-masterpiece they discuss some elements of the game and its development here.

I imagine seeing how things were working out on the playstation, knowing the hardware was absolutely better suited to 3D, and making such an extensively 3D game made it far more appealing to wish it would have access to the PS1 audience and the team access to the hardware. PDS pushed so many boundaries and there was literally nothing like it ever made at the time, so there was nothing to really look at for influence or guidance to see how others might have achieved the results they wanted.

There was also a comment by Futatsugi, I believe. "The playstation has more colors, but the Saturn's more washed out palette better fit the wastelands of panzer dragoon." It wasn't just a game made to take technical advantage of the Saturn, but also aesthetic advantage.

Thanks for that, user.
It all m ade me think that, at least in development, it is better to leave your company and try to get you and your team hired by the most sauccessfl at the time or try to go indie with your project, than to give your all (and literally, your life) to said project made inside a failing company.
All that dedication cold be better used by a more stable company or more free indie group, and maybe, made into a good enough success to at least prevent deaths in the team.

I'm pretty sure that most of Nakayama's deeds were lies created by Kalinske.
As for the marketing team cited, it was the american one. In Japan, the game was treated with much more respect. It was even one of Segata Sanshiro's advertised games. The american marketing team was the one that wanted to push the "cool and mature guys" meme, keeping everything good away, if it was "too japanese" or "too colorful without being Sonic".

Just because Kalinske is a cuck now doesn't mean he was one before, if you're not against the politically correct current you will be molded by it. As for the lying I can't see it, the 32X was pushed by SoJ, SoJ wanted to use dual processors and GPUs for the Saturn while the N64 did what they initially wanted to use for it.

How about you try picking up opinions from someone that isn't a cuckold faggot suit or a gook? Is there anyone else from SoA that'd spill the beans?

Oh Otakon

How's the game on Mednafen? I have Orta but it's shame that my Xbox isn't working.

Ding-A-Ling the LISA creator had an AMA here before snapping at the death of his father. Wonder if Nielsen and Kalinske were the same way, always were lefties from the start, or if it was a gradual thing.

And then there's this thing mocking interested customers that couldn't find copies of it.

How involved was Moebius with Panzer Dragoon 1? Did he really do full on art direction or just the cover art or what? I keep hearing different versions every time this is brought up.

he was just hired to do the cover art and one or two promo pieces. It's not his involvement that matters, its his influence. The entire aesthetic and much of the games feel is inspired by his work. You can look up panzer dragoon artwork and while not exhibiting the same touch of Moebius' own work, pays an appreciative tribute to his accomplishment. The concept art was also very faithfully translated to the game.

Any chance the source code for this game can be recovered á la Starcraft or is it a completely lost cause?

Yeah, the whole aesthetic is 100% Arzach worship.

Who knows, if it wasn't just fucking destroyed, it might be in one of the hands of a private collector, and good luck tracking down who, let alone convincing them to do anything with it. SEGA lost it a long time ago, and if Magic Knight Rayearth is anything to go by, SEGA was fucking awful at keeping the source code to games during the saturn era.

you wouldn't need the source code and I wouldn't recommend porting the game from that source code. It's designed thoroughly for the saturn which doesn't function like any machines today, so access to the source would essentially just be relevant for the saturn.

Not saying it was intentional with PDS, but a lot of Japanese companies destroyed source code as a pre-emptive measure against industrial espionage. As retarded as it sounds, it was widespread until fairly recently. Nintendo did it on the regular.

Which Sega released this game on steam…expecting a remake is too much.

Yes, it does.
A grown man does not "become" a leftist after adulthood. He was one from the beginning, and only hid this fact.
Everything bad that we heard from Sega of Japan was said by Kalinkse himself or one of his associates, without any proof or contestant to their world.
Seeing how they trully are, and all the mistakes that Sega made, is enough to at least consider that the blunders were made by Sega of America, with the whole "the japanese branch are looney" as the escape goat that Kalinske used to hide his and his branch's own mistakes.

As i commented above, there is no way that a fully functioning adult "becomes" a leftist. When you see that, you can be assured that they always were, since young, and revealed themselves as that later on their lives.

Yes, but how does Chrono Trigger relate to all this?

F, that always fucking gets me to how dedicated the Nips were when the suits in-charge were goddamn retards who had Bernie Stolar the JRPG-hater drive a lot of their RPG veterans to Sony.

Keep in mind that the Saturn was relatively successful in Japan, but a flop in the US. The system was dead by the time PDS arrived.

Fuck you for reminding me what those fucking retards did.

That also reinforces my opinion that the flops and bad decisions of the american branch were made by Kalinske's and Stolar's teams and that they used the japanese as escapegoats, as no one could contact them to verify the truth behind what the american branch said at the time.
It was much easier for the amrican branch to pretend to be "the cool guys" while blaming their failures on "the japanese made us do this. We did not want it."
I suspect that everything, from the lanch of the Sega CD and 32X, to the failed american launch of Saturn, were all decision made by the american branch and after it backfired, they blamed the japanese when dealing with the press.
If you analyze it, you will see that the 32X and Sega CD had mostly western made games, with very little mentioning in Japan, while the Saturn prospered in Japan and failed in america after the american branch forced it's premature launch (while blaming the japanese for doing so).

FUCK YES PDS thread! Thank you for making it, I would have missed the remade soundtrack. They fucked up the Atolm Dragon theme but the new Forest Shriek is pretty comfy.

I've ran it pretty okay-ish in emulation.

You the man.

Best part is the combat system that doesn't feel like it's turn based.

Crimson dragon was by all accounts bad. Sabotaged it's own launch by forcing you to use kinect controls.

Good to know. I plan on getting an original xbox just to finally play this one since emulation never got anywhere.

What's DFR?

If this game was remade competently it'd be worth the price.

Someday, if I make it as a gamedev, I'll make a fan sequel of PDS about Azel looking for Edge. PDS was my first great gaming experience.

DFR is Digital Foundry Retro, I believe. They just did a video about a game called "PowerSlave" that pulled off impressive tricks on the Saturn and allegedly is like a sort of proto-Metroid Prime. We might see them do a video covering Panzer Dragoon Saga if is anything to go by.