Nipponese Learning Thread: (((Localized))) Edition

So, you wanna learn the Nipponese, huh? Well, you've come to the right thread. You know the drill; All of the relevant resources are available below. It's not an official list or anything, just an OP I threw together from items taken from previous threads. If you have any suggestions on how this list can be improved, then please don't hesitate to say something.

Learn the Kana. Start with Hiragana and then move on to Katakana. Yes, you need both, and yes stroke order is important. Use Realkana or Kana Invaders for spaced repetition. Alternatively, you can use the Anki deck, but I'd recommend the first two. Tae Kim has a Kana diagram on his website, and you can use KanjiVG for pretty much any character.

You have to learn vocabulary and grammar in order to speak and understand the language. Some will tell you to grind the Core2k/6k deck until you're blue in the face, others will tell you that grammar is more important. Truth is, you need both, but it doesn't really matter which one you decide to do first. You're teaching yourself here, so you move at your own pace and do what you're most receptive to. If you want grammar first, then Tae Kim has a great introductory grammar guide, there are numerous grammar related videos in user's all-in-one-Anki-package, IMABI has an active forums and an abundance of information on grammar, and there's always YouTube if you're lazy. On the other hand, if you want to learn vocab first, then grab the Core2k/6k and grind until you're blue in the face. For mnemonics, see Kanji Damage.

That's what these threads are for aside from the obligatory shitposting. You shouldn't assume that anyone here knows more than you, but there are anons here who are willing to help. Try to find shit out on your own, for fuck's sake, but if you're stumped, then maybe someone will have something to say that can point you in the right direction.

Threadly reminder:
YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

DJT guide: djtguide.neocities.org/
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c

Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
Core 2k/6k: mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
user's Japanese Learner Anki package: mega.nz/#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ymEd_AGkmIw?list=PLUPrrptEK4hNJCyEcgxeq6CXqZuwI3_ns&t=88
d-addicts.com/forums/page/subtitles?sid=44b430a6e474982a7185b5ee067f3efd#Japanese
jpsubbers.web44.net/Japanese-Subtitles/@Mains/
nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/949121
d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=161078,
kanji
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Kana_chart
kanjidamage.com/kanji/31-white-白
djtguide.neocities.org/kana/index.html
akiragoya.sakura.ne.jp/blog/game_matome
kanjidamage.com/kanji/1097-right-右
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)
imabi.net/transitivity.html
imabi.net/transitivity.htm
mega.nz/#!3lBkDK7S!yADa10lZmdkY0uJB4oJCN3B1pb9qqDlu4E2zXRXtC1U
ebay.com/itm/FALLOUT-4-Game-of-the-Year-Edition-Disc-PS4-2017-Asia-English-Chinese-/263235847786
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

who comes up with this shit and why?

底なし is obviously a reference to her thirst for rum. Can't have that in a good Christian localization!

間違ってだな

also

You guys do know that they censored the Cuckcube release, right?

Was the Dreamcast localization uncensored?

Thanks for not even remotely comprehening the discussion.

Nevermind, I looked it up and the localization is the same, so I dunno what your point is.
youtu.be/ymEd_AGkmIw?list=PLUPrrptEK4hNJCyEcgxeq6CXqZuwI3_ns&t=88

While I like seeing culturalizations get caught in the act, it always infuriates me to see it at all. You guys won't regret the effort you put into learning moon in the long run, even if the big companies are pre-censoring the Japanese releases to avoid getting caught.

Yeah, learning Nip is definitely not just for untranslated games. It makes all Japanese games better.

Maybe the PAL version was uncensored? I played the Echelon release.

This kind of stuff always annoyed me, especially because most parents don't even check that closely or care about what's in the games/movies/music their kids are taking in to begin with.

But that's exactly why it's important for (((localization))) companies to make video games acceptable for everybody!
You can't suggest parental responsibility as a solution to the disgusting thing that is Japanese video games.
Adults should only be able to play the pieces of the game we allow them to play because our aim is protecting children.
Video games are for children; You aren't our target market
etc.
It's an excuse.
These companies won't give a shit.
Even if their company goes under there are dozens of other places for them to get hired and do the same shit to fill the gap they just left.
Skip the middleman, remove the people cutting your coke with baking soda.

Hey, if children can do it, so can I

What game has a good translation?
Hard mode: no fan translations

何それ

There are quite a few games that don't have bad translations per se, but the original is always going to be closest to how the creator wanted his/her work to be consumed and perceived.

Hardest mode: "None" doesn't count

I can't learn Japanese. What does it say? I expect the original to be rum or liquor obviously, but dunno about the girl's title.

The main thing was that they changed alcohol to "loqua" and pretend it's non-alcoholic. The girl was changed from Bottomless Angela to Mabel the Raider. Mabel doesn't even sound like a pirate's name

girl: what's "alcohol"?
bottomless andrea: "hey girl so you're interested in alcohol? want to drink this rum?"
more or less this is what it says

Her name is angela, not andrea. Regardless, I don't get why they changed her name, they could have just removed the "bottomless" part and called her Angela without any other additional identifiers.

You know how much localizers like re-writing shit.

むしろ叱られたい…

Anyone got any suggestions for Japanese shows to watch that have Japanese subtitles? I'd like something where they talk naturally, so maybe some type of talk show or reality show. I'm thinking consuming almost nothing but fictional work isn't the best idea.

Hifumi really deserves her own series, or at least a spinoff book.

Speaking of New Game, is the game any good? It's on sale pretty cheap right now.

Censored too, as far as I know only the Japanese version has smokes and alcohol.

What game can I practice my nip with nips?

Watch Japanese Dub of 24 (^:

There are lots of good J-dramas, and they're easier to find Japanese subtitles than for anime in my experience.
d-addicts.com/forums/page/subtitles?sid=44b430a6e474982a7185b5ee067f3efd#Japanese
jpsubbers.web44.net/Japanese-Subtitles/@Mains/
are the sites I've had the best luck getting subs from, but sometimes finding downloads for complete series, especially with seeds, can be a pain in the ass.

The first drama I watched was ちゃんぽんたべたか, it had an alright story, but it was all about real/relatively mundane situations in the life of a high school and college student, so it's good for a change of pace from anime/games. You can find a torrent here nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/949121 and subs here d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=161078, though you'll have to watch the first episode with english subs, or by scrolling through the subtitles in a text file while you watch.

Hifumi is easily the best character in new game.

if anyone else has a better method for finding torrents of complete drama series other than typing "drama complete" into the search bar at nyaa, please share them, I'd love to know

Why change the name? I mean they're both western names.

Wholly shit, rum was too hardcore for Sega?

Probably because the protagonists are minors. Meanwhile at Capcom USA, vid related.

Thanks lad. I didn't think about dramas but I can give those a go too.

yeah, dramas will probably be better for average conversations than talk shows or game shows, where they'll be discussing a specific topic and trying to play it up and be entertaining.

>kanji damage.com/tags/9

Also just noticed

Dramas are still fiction though, so it won't be as natural as talk shows.

What does it mean when you see a tiny kana? Not the つ I know that mean you repeat the consonant it is repeating.

the best way to explain it is that it usually means nothing, except for ones that are used in loanwords for sounds that have no kana, such as ティ "ti" ウァ "wa" and so forth. If you're talking about something like pic related it's just used to add effect, and has no impact on the meaning of something.

if you mean small vowels after -i kana, then those make the ya yu yo sounds, like kya, ryu, etc.

Every time I've seen it in the the "used to add effect" case that you described, it seems to denote that that part of the word is being drawn out longer than normal, the same as what's implied if one were to write "Niiiiiice," or "FUCK YOOOOOOOUUUUU," instead of writing those words normally. Naturally, you see it in H material a lot for moans.

In my experience playing jap vidya, for things like names sometimes half-length katakana are used just to save space (ラリルレロ as opposed to ラリルレロ)

I think pic related is just another way of writing instead of using the line to extend the vowel sound.

I think this is it because it is usually tiny や and ゆ kana, thanks.

oh, if it's just the tiny ゃ and ゅ and ょ you were talking about those are used as specific sounds, see this link for a list of them all
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Kana_chart

yes thank you

In katakana a small vowel kana different from the vowel of the full size kana indicates that you are changing the vowel of the proceeding kana without changing the sound (including when there should normally be an allophonic sound change change, hence why it only happens in katakana. I.e. Loan words)
If you see a small vowel kana that is the same as the vowel of the proceeding kana, this is a way of representing a vowel drawn out in speech to express emotion, similar to 一 and 〜.
If you see a small y-kana following an i-kana, it represents the insertion of a /j/ between the consonant and vowel.
If you see any other kind of small kana you had probably stumbled upon a ryukyu language instead of Japanese.

vu
do you know ゐ and ゑ?

Those aren't real right? It's just wingdings or something right?

They aren't used much anymore.

Captain's Log
-CURRENT YEAR-
Day 407

Getting tired of Anki. Words upon words fill my mindspace, only to be dumped out again a short time later. Must push on, but finding it increasingly difficult to do so. I have made small progress, but progress is slow. 毎日は勉強をしているよ、でもまだ日本語を話せができないよ。

You are making progress, even if you don't realize it.

The fuck is that second one?

they are (formerly) /wi/ and /we/, and are now used stylistically for /i/ and /e/, for the same reason that を is now pronounced /o/. Their katakana equivalents are ヰ and ヱ, but for some reason people refuse to bring them back even for writing foreign sounds instead of うぃ/うぇ, which I think is disappointing.
You know about ゝ and ヽ right?

I was wondering why when I was learning kana a decade ago people were inconsistent about whether or not it was wo or o

we, pronounced like e
They used the kana version in the Evangelion Rebuild movies. エヴァンゲリオン vs ヱヴァンゲリヲン

I've been studying almost for the same amount of time as you, we just need to keep at it user our proficiency is slowly but surely coming along 頑張って!!

Man, I am like 4 days into 2k and I could understand that and read it aloud. Shame it was basically a guess based entirely on って

/w/ was lost before all vowels except /a/ in normal speech in the early 20th century. However, kana orthography wouldn't be reformed until the mid 20th century, and during that time, kana reflected historical spellings, grammar, and morphophonemics, much like English writing does, as opposed to phonology, like kana writting does today. During that period, characters like を and ゑ were not pronounced differently from お or え, but could differentiate homophones in writing.
Post reform, kana orthography was changed to be entirely phonemic and regular, with one group of exceptions: particles would remain in their historical form (hence, は - wa, へ - e, and を - o).
Thus, all instances of を except the particle were changed to お, because they were pronounced お, and still are, in almost all cases.
I say almost all, because there are 4 primary exceptions, where it is still common to hear /wo/
however, even among the first, second, and fourth cases, even though they pronounce を as /wo/, they do not pronounce おs that used to be をs as /wo/ (because they have been taught that they are おs as well), so even among those who say /wo/, that syllable appears in literally one word ever (possible with the exception of ヲタク, but it is normally pronounced /otaku/ even among these speakers).

はい。日本語を習っていた決心を固めただ。

バンプ~

Only people who pass JLPT N1 can read material as advanced as that

No, I don't want to learn japanese.
I want you to raise hell in proper circles about the problems instead of ignoring them while they get worse.
Nothing is burning, it's just becoming more gay and jewish.

who says we're not doing both, as well as taking money from the localization companies by buying untranslated games?

18+ material is ironically pretty simple.

Enjoy your shitty localizations forever then, aaab2c

先週私の大学の「日本の言語と文化のサークル」に行きます。悪くなかった。日本人がたくさんありました。ほとんど何人もはオタクに似て、「アニメ」と言いませんでした。来週サークルの「会話」に行きます。

アニメことが話さなかったは案外もいい

STOP RUNNING AWAY

はい。驚きました。でも、個別の「社会のアニメと漫画の芸術」(英語:"[school name]-SAMA")。オタクは日本語をマスターできりませんから、あそこに行きます。

I have tried far too many times to make people care, user. Most either refuse to understand why you care so much to begin with or have the worst battered-wife syndrome I've ever seen. These people treat the fact that you know Japanese as an excuse to tell you that you have no business caring about translated versions. If you've got some advice I'd love to hear it.

Are those Sekai Project apologists?

Do you fags find yourselves eternally stuck at 80-90% or so correct each day on Anki? Like my daily reviews hasn't gone down much in ages. It's like I've plateaued and consistently fuck up at a rate of ~15%.
そのうえこの冬はホンマにさびー!この都会「晴れの国」ってけど明日雪降るんじゃ。
じゃけー秋楽しみなんじゃ 笑

*春楽しみ
俺は偽物のビール飲んでるんじゃけーちょっとアホなんじゃろう?

Sekai Project can't ever release anything on time and at the budget they claimed.
They were Kickstarting even more shit to finish the Grisaia games because they're so fucking incompetent.

Does learning Japanese come with being a pretensions asshole to everyone because you are obviously the superior weeb?

I'm assuming the non-pretentious assholes are busy studying, truly being the superior weeb.

Attention-whoring via a learned skill is a symptom of being an attention-whore, not learning the skill. If it wasn't Japanese, it'd be a different one. It also partly depends on the culture you're from. While not immune, anons should be less likely to do it, given that they're anons.

Some people need that kind of encouragement. If I tell you that you're a retard for not knowing Japanese don't take it personally, just start learning and prove me wrong.

What'd you expect? I don't know why people here recommend it but kanji damage seems to be made by a literal homo leftist cuck. If you need mnemonics make up your own instead of using shitty ones from other people.
I don't even use mnemonics and just memorize on/kun yomi directly, I memorized over 1000 characters in 6 months and can read most stuff already. Just review daily and start reading raw material as soon as you can and it's not that hard.

Haha, what he fuck am I reading.

I dunno, I keep getting mixed messages from him. I'll post one of the opposite type next time I see one.
Personal mnemonics tend to stick better, but it does take time to come up with a good one, so I default to his if I can't think of a better one. The improvement usually isn't worth the time to force making your own, unless you already know that his mnemonic just isn't sticking with you at all.
1000 characters, or 1000 cards?

If you know who this fag is, it's easier to just remember it by his name and style. Relax, I stopped reading shortly after he was introduced. Sage for doublepost.

Rays of the sun, also a name. The cat's name is Ray.
Black people sometimes colloquially refer to one another as "cool cats". The small illustration renders Ray as an actual cat, but you could also imagine a wigger who refers to himself and others as "cool cats". Hence, Ray is a "white cat" but "talks black"
"Dutch" is a slang term for a marijuana cigarette that is rolled in a tobacco leaf. I'll admit that it's a bit of a stretch at this point to connect "dutch" and "dot", but if you use your imagination and visualize the dot radical as a blunt, then you can imagine that Ray the white cat is smoking it. Honestly, it's a shitty mnemonic because it is devised to help you better visualize this particular Kanji, which is something that you shouldn't have much trouble with in the first place. This is one of the first Kanji you learn, and if you're having trouble remembering it, then you should fuck off and learn Spanish or something less taxing on your memory.

The other mnemonic for remembering the onyoumi is fine because it's just a simple sentence. Short and to the point.
Who fucking cares. It's a joke, you faggot. Go back to tumblr if you can't handle it.

yeah, I think getting butthurt over the examples used is dumb but you really shouldn't need a complex process to memorize that one or any of the other most common hundred or so kanji.

Characters, I don't use anki for kanji.
I usually go with what's more useful and easy to memorize but categorize with JLPT levels usually, except some non-JLPT kanji like 頃 or 鍵, they are their own category. I know all of N5, N4, N3, 330~ of the 370 in N2 and around 250 in N1.
JLPT levels are easier usually because lower levels have kanji that comes often and easy to memorize, of course I study all levels at the same time but dividing them into groups helps make it easy to memorize.
Kanken or school grades is another way to categorize but I don't think they are as good for gaijin learning kanji.

It looks inefficient but more useful than spending 2 months on RTK and only learning an English word related to the kanji that might not be accurate.
For example I know 素 can be read ス, and 晴 in 素晴らしい has the kun yomi は.らす, so is it "すはらしい" or what? Accounting for rendaku it can be すばらしい, which is a word I know so I can keep on reading having learned something new.

I can't tell if you're mad at the page for being retarded, or me for thinking it's retarded. Funny either way.

At least you will remember it right? That's the whole point.

Don't do that.

What's wrong with it?

It's much easier to learn the readings in context of vocab.

You can do it. But it's making thing's unnecessarily hard for yourself. It's much easier to learn meanings, then learn the readings organically as you learn vocab.

I like to equate it to trying to remember the names of all the characters in Lord of the Rings without ever reading the books. It's certainly possible. But it's a shitload easier when you know who Gandalf is and what he does.

Dragon's Dogma has a better translation in English than the Japanese version, which isn't uncommon with western-style games that aren't originally made with Japanese voice acting.

Nothing, people don't like it because it's slower and more tedious, and easier to forget things and feel bad due to amount of things you try to memorize.
But no other method has worked well for me other than this so I'd rather go with this than use "proven" methods like RTK or Kodansha, where you spend months to reach the level of a Chinese person starting at kanji, or learn kanji in a wacky order that helps you differentiate them but learn common ones way too late.
My goal is to read, and while this method seems slower overall, it's denser and you can read everything you learned, unlike RTK which is more of a preparation to learning than actually learning the kanji.

I can't be the only one to use this method and get results right? Most kanji have just 2/3 readings and are easy, a lot has only one on yomi and maybe some unused archaic kun that don't matter much, a big amount of kanji share readings with others with the same radicals/parts and are easy to memorize like those with 召. Kanji with too many readings are usually common ones like 下 or 生, and I can recite all their readings.

I think this is why it doesn't work for everyone. My vocab was already pretty good when I finally decided to learn kanji. If I search on yomi compounds I'll usually find at least one that I know so I just have to stick the kanji to a word I know and remember that for the on yomi if I were to forget it. I don't think it would work as well for a complete beginner. This method works better for the kind of people that start on Japanese, learn kana and then decide to tackle kanji 4 years later.

The voice acting and translation for Dragon's Dogma are surprisingly decent, but if you actually think the English version of Coils of Light is better than the nip, then I'm sorry but you are a grade A pleb.

The lyrics are certainly better, I don't like how they removed some of the background instrumentation though.

And by removed, it was almost certainly the reverse in that they added more to the Japanese version since it was probably made afterwards.

I started from English as only language and was reading little by little without a dictionary within my first year. I made Anki cards from Jisho out of all the words every weeb knows (帯, 照り焼き, 班長, など) to get used to kana and kanji. Using those words, I immersed myself and read everything I could with a dictionary. It was hard and slow, but I slowly ground out my first new Japanese vocab I was confident in having competently translated. Earliest was menu stuff like もっと, ホーム, 戻る, but I was chipping away at gaining real vocab, too. Once the boulder was rolling, I could grasp at and finally understand more content. I could even guess new words and pronunciations correctly from just kanji and context. 2 years later, I could play or read just about anything interesting without a dictionary and have converted most of my cards to pure Japanese with native dictionaries.

Learning vocabulary first through reading absolutely worked for me. Keep at it and break through plateaus with nearly complete immersion, Tae Kim grammar, handwriting, lang-8 blogging, listening to music and shows, talking to yourself, conversing with natives, and varying your reading material. Even if you only want to read, watching Japanese TV for a few hours a day will mysteriously help you read faster.

pic unrelated

Come on, now.

Learning readings separately just seems like double the work to me. So you remember the readings for a kanji, then you have to remember the reading that is used for each word. It seems more sensible to just remember the reading for each word. But use whatever whatever works best for you.

this is how I (and I think most people) do it. Learn a word and the kanji associated with it, not a kanji and all the words associated with it. It makes dealing with words that use the same kanji much easier.

Gee, I wonder who could be behind this post.
>>>Holla Forums

Don't give up you faggot, we all have bad days just pick yourself up and do better.

Is there any website like this one but for Hiragana?

if you need elaborate mnemonics to memorize ~46 characters you probably won't be able to learn this language.

Thanks for the answer, m8.

Maybe someday.

For the kana, it's really just best to grind away at djtguide.neocities.org/kana/index.html for a few minutes at a time.

want reading listning

Updated keikaku is to read tae kim. and start reading baby books. Any tips or things to keep in mind? (for efficiency)

searched "first book to read japanese" . i'll read the pages I ctrl-d 'ed tommorrow. DJT guide has a ranking of difficulty in reading list sectoin. beginner easy and basic all sound same to me. what's the order? ranking?

wew lad

you're going to need to read all of the tae kim beginners section at bare minimum if you want to be able to read. I'd recommend starting off with childrens books or elementary school readers, then move on to lengthier stuff.

This is gold.
Thanks, my dude.

akiragoya.sakura.ne.jp/blog/game_matome
Here, have some reading material. I came across this blog when searching for information on Shinobi. He gives impressions/walkthroughs of a number of different games. It's just something different to read besides children's books or manga or news bulletins.

You did it all backwards nigger. What the fuck are you even doing.

Learning readings separately is a waste of time and won't help you in the long run because you half to memorize every single individual compound to be absolutely certain of what it means and how it is read. There are loads and loads of irregular readings.

That's pretty sweet, I would have loved to have known about that back when I was just starting to read. I'd rank it just above NHK easy news in terms of difficulty, though with a much more common set of vocabulary than the news.

Recognizing the Kana is easy but writing it down is difficult. Is this normal?
Should I focus on recognizing it all quickly and then after a while I would easily reproduce it or should I get used to reproducing it too before learning other things?

learning to write it won't help you read it - whether or not you want to be able to write is your choice but it doesn't really have an impact on your reading skill. Some people choose to write out kanji because it helps them remember it, but it's not necessary for kana if you're not planning to ever travel to japan or anything like that.

Brace yourself, kanji will be much more difficult.

Knowing how to write can help you deciphering hand-written text. They sometimes appear in manga and art so it's not entirely meaningless to learn them too, even if you don't plan to go to Japan or things like that. But it shouldn't be your number 1 priority either right now.
Just remember the user a thread or two ago who didn't recognize the 言 kanji (and that wasn't even hand-written).

Good point actually, I forgot how hard of a time I hard with reading handwritten kana. Eventually I learned to read it but it would definitely help if you learned to write the kana, even if you don't become perfect at it.

Writing them down as in reproducing them just from memory? Or writing them at all, even with a reference? Either way, writing is it's own skill that comes from practice, so if you want to get proficient at it you need to do it a lot. I want to at least have some basic writing ability so I've hand written quite a lot of shit, and when I first started I wrote out all the kana dozens of times to help memorize them. Also, since you're just getting started on kana now, pretty much everything will be hard.

Thank you, guys.

Reproducing from memory. It truly is its own skill.

バンプ~

How do I get Anki to cycle in smaller batches? I've got 30 cards I don't know very well (some new and some old), but since the batch is so huge by the time I see a card again I've already forgotten it.

I need repetition in smaller amounts to make the brain connection

Lower your new cards

Stop direct linking Youtube cancer.

That doesn't help me now

Deck->Options->Lapses->Stepsand set it to a lower value

1. reduce your new cards. If you do a set number of new cards each day, when you're done they're going to be added to your review cards for the next day. If you have 10 new cards a day, that's 70 new review cards a week.
2. Stop getting cards wrong, you nigger. The more often you get a card right, the less often you'll see that card. You can tell Anki [again] [hard] [good] and [easy]. If you keep choosing easy on a card, that card will be put away for longer than the other options. If you don't want to see that card, you can keep choosing the easy option to make it a lower priority review.
3. Suspend cards. If there are babby's first review cards still in your deck, you can just remove them entirely, which will reduce the amount of overall cards you have to review.

Reported.

Ai-chan is a good girl, she dindu nuffin

kizuna ai is the single biggest proof of japan's decline.

Thanks this is more in line with what I wanted.

Honestly until the last two days I thought I should increase the number of new cards (I never actually did) but the last 40 or so have been pretty muddy in my brain

Anyone else have super mental blocks you can't explain?

I still can't remember how to say 車 even though I know what it means. I learned 電車
instantly but I STILL fuck up 車 every time.

(Checked)
Lemme try to help you with that, 車 is read as 'kuruma', it's a car in GTA 3 and 5, easy as that.

kuruma and car sound very similar to me. You can also think of uma is a horse, so a kuruma is like an upgraded horse.

My mental block is that I can't study when other people are home. I want to speak out loud and hear myself speak, but I don't want other people to hear me and know that I am studying another language. I haven't told anybody that I am learning Japanese, and I make a point of studying only when I know the house will be empty.

I only know like 50~ kanji, but damn it feels good when you you make even the smallest bit of progress.

Shit like 水、月、何 as well as numbers I already knew. 
I'm waiting for 肉、血、光、白、神、尻尾 and a shitload of other words I know by reading if not by kanji 

I know this feel very well

Here's an example of KanjiDamage giving mixed messages with with politics: kanjidamage.com/kanji/1097-right-右
He gives a rebuke of right-wingers as a whole, but also,
Seems to be in favor of the US fighting Communism, particularly North Korea. Maybe I'm putting too much weight on the assumption that a lefty will be a communist apologist, which has been true for most of my lifetime, or maybe I'm just reading too far into what's basically a joke, like many of his cards are.

Yeah, every now and then I get a kanji that just doesn't quite stick as well as the others, and it's usually because I don't like the mnemonic I'm using. Coincidentally, 車's onyomi is one of the ones that applied to. They always come along eventually, but I've learned that if I notice one of these persisting, then it's usually better to invent a new mnemonic than to try to force the old one.

I avoided telling anyone for a long time, too. I hate letting people see unfinished projects, or ones that might not ever get finished, and there are few projects bigger, or more embarrassing to leave unfinished, than learning a language. Are you just self-conscious about speaking in front of others, or are the people around you ones who would in some way judge you for it?

seems highly likely.

The second option. My family would try and force their opinion down my throat, just like they do with virtually every other aspect of life. They'd try and tell me shit like, "you're wasting your time" and "you could be doing something so much more meaningful" and I just don't want to heart it.

FUCK YOU MOM I WILL LEARN NIHONGO WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT TBH. (笑)

Just did my first Anki session. It took 38 minutes for me "learn" 20 new cards. The default setting seems like it will set a good pace for me. Should I find stuff to read so I can put the kanji I've learned through Anki into practice? Is that even feasible to do? I'm afraid that if I only learn vocab through anki I might not be able to recognize what I've learned in other contexts, especially written material.

I'd lower the new cards to about 5 if I were you. At that rate, it's going to take you over an hour a day soon.

Fucking this

I didn't tell anyone I was learning the violin until over a year after I started taking lessons. I'm still shit, but I've kept at it for nearly two and a third years at this point

this exactly
Not only that, but I really gain nothing from telling people I speak japanese even once I've learned it more completely. The most I'm going to get out of most casual encounters is someone saying "Oh, I went to Japan once" or "I have a cousin from Japan" or something inane like that. One time I mentioned it in passing to my parents and they were convinced I was going to college to learn. I had to spend an hour convincing them that you don't have to take formal classes to learn a language.

Ameriburger leftcucks hate best korea though, they have to, in order not to get associated with it as they often are anyway. Also remember this
Literally, openly advocating white genocide.

get a copy of
"The Key To Kanji: A Visual History of 1100 Characters" or にほんごチャレンジ

I know what that's like very well. But if you spend a lot of time attached to other people, there's a high chance that you're eventually going to find yourself in a position where the only way you'll have time to study on a given day is if you do it in front of someone, so you should be mentally prepared to do so if that becomes necessary. Don't compromise on your progress to avoid other people's judgment. If you have to, make it clear that you won't spend time justifying choices in your own self-development to other people. Anyone preventing you from improving yourself can and should be ignored.

As said, your first session is not going to be representative of the ones to come. Anki works on spaced repetition, so as you learn cards, they're added to a pile of cards that are reviewed in the following sessions, separate from the pile of new cards you have to learn. Expect the amount you have to retain, and the amount of time you have to spend, to increase significantly as you start to build this pile. If it becomes unmanageable in either of those respects, lower the number of new cards per day. At the same time, don't be too surprised or discouraged if you have a tough time with or completely forget some of them each day, which will happen.
Yes, but reading won't be possible until you know at least some grammar.
This hasn't been a problem for me. When in doubt, double check with Jisho, Google Translate, and/or your browser's equivalent of Rikaichan.

Great of the creator of Kanji braindamage to come to this autistic Polish plumbing discussion board

It's the topdown view of modern car (^:

Same, with piano, guitar, and gamedev. I feel like I'd be wasting my and others' time to show what I've learned until I've achieved competence and produced something noteworthy, and that showing your efforts before you've reached competence has a chance of diminishing your worth in their eyes. Better to surprise and impress later than to diminish now. If you can't hide that you've tried it before, hide that you're continuing to do it, or hide your level of competence.

Exactly. The way I see it, the rabbit should be taken out of the hat when you stand to directly gain from it. It prevents weird conversations, and when people know that you have a skill, you lose out on the opportunities that you may have had if you didn't have that skill, such as not using that skill as a favor. I know that sounds selfish, but sometimes it's difficult to manage who's asking for what favors and when. Better to play close to your chest and fill genuine needs when you see them.

Also, if we could not devolve into shitposting just because politics were brought up in passing, that'd be good.

It will be too late by then. Best to start small and raise the amount later if need be.

The Captain's wife was Mabel
To fuck she was not able
So the dirty shits, they nailed her tits
Across the barroom table

The Captain's wife
was Mabel
And by god she
was able
To give the crew,
their daily screw,
upon the mess room table

When I started learning to use embedded clauses (e.g. in ~と思う sentences) I became curious how Japanese people disambiguate the boundary between the left side of the embedded clause and the left side of the main clause (i.e, how they tell whether 「私が腹黒いと思う」 means "I think that (they) are mean" or "(they) think that I am mean", and it turns out that this is how.
study your prosody user

Yomichan or Rikaichan? Which one is the best?

Rikaisama

I need some input on what I should be doing at this point for Anki. I started by doing the KanjiDamage+ deck about a 1-1/2 years ago but created my own mnemonics because the examples are absolute shit. I got through it in about 6 months and moved onto C2K/6K while still doing KD+, my question is that at this point should I just suspend my KD+ deck and focus on C2K/6K? Another question I have is in regards to the picture I posted, my 2K/6K deck has a double of each of the cards. I think this happened after I added audio, and I was wondering if this will cause me problems or if I was to remove the duplicates if it would cause issue? If I can remove the duplicates I take it I'd remove the ones labelled "Card 2"?

I don't have an answer for the duplicate card question but you should probably just do 1 anki deck at a time and study other things, especially if you have a year and a half of anki under your belt.

Keep doing kanji along with vocab.

Are those cards exactly the same? Maybe one is a listening practice card and one is reading practice. (pic related is my deck)

The core6k (at least the version that is linked in the OP) is full of duplicates, I usually merge them because sometimes they have different example sentences.
(There's an extension that, but that's crap, I hacked it a little so I can merge whatever cards I want while preserving review information.)

Yeah which is why I could easily understand it, yet always forget the reading

Try learning some other words that also use the kun reading, like 歯車, 車椅子, and 風車; maybe that will help it stick.

Thanks for the input.

You don't think it'll cause issue continuing a singular study of each Kanji with a general meaning? The only reason I was wondering in the first place is that as I go through more of 2K/6K certain Kanji can have an individual meaning but in some combinations sort of lose that meaning. I just don't want to possibly cause hindrance if I'm holding onto KD+ for too long if that makes any sense? My real end game concern is pushing myself to shed more of thinking in E > J and just J > J. But again I'm basically still shit at the language so maybe that's thinking too far ahead?

Thanks for the info, I looked into it a bit more and it looks like if I delete one card the other disappears so they're linked in some manner. I guess it's just one is audio, the other is the base card? Regardless I won't sweat about it unless I notice something funky.

The meanings aren't that important, they're just the means to an end, which is learning to write/recall kanji.

I get what you're saying, thanks I'll just continue to do KD+ for the time being.

When Kobayashi asks Tohru to go to the bathroom for her, is she being sarcastic?

The ebin joke here is that since Toru what's the point of the "h" here anyway? It's still pronounced the same is a MEIDO, she's supposed to do all sorts of things instead of her master and Kobayashi has become so lazy due to her reliance on Toru that even going to the toilet is being relegated to her.

What's the difference between 閉じる and 閉める?

閉める (transitive)
閉まる (intransitive)
閉じる (intransitive)

Intransitive is when something just happens, and transitive is when someone does something. When you use 「ドアを閉める」 you are saying "(I) closed the door" and when you say 「ドアを閉まる」 you are saying "the door closed (by itself or through means that were not caused by me)". There are other verb pairs like this, so it's important to understand this concept. Finally, 閉じる can be used to mean that something is "coming to a close" so you could say 今は会議を閉じるです which would be "now the meeting will come to a close".

At least this is my limited understanding on the subject. google this shit you faggot there is plenty of info out there.

閉まる would use が instead of を though

Thanks. Anki didn't make it clear, merely labeling one as "Shut (verb)" and the other "Close, shut (verb)"

Car (Kar) goes vroom vroom = kuruma

>You shall need a car to drive away from the new source of kuru, massachusetts.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)
There's a mnemonic with kun, on, and meaning. It might be easier to remember if you associate it with something as unique as a rare cannibal disease. It's also funny because MA is a blue state, and the left is metaphorically eating itself.

It's so that they read properly in English.
"Oh" in translation -> おう in original
"O" in transition -> お in original
Because "oo" would imply うう and "ou" can be read as あう.

N… No user that's not what those words mean.
Intransative means that someone just does something. Transitive means that someone does something to someone else. They both take subjects but intransative doesn't take objects.
Impersonal means that something just happens, without a subject.

imabi.net/transitivity.html
I mean I'm just going by what this says.

imabi.net/transitivity.htm
here, the link I provided before was broken.

I'm not a native english speaker so "to" and "toh" to me seem to be exactly the same pronounciation wise. Idk if native speakers can hear a difference. I understand the notion that they want to translate the nip spelling somehow, but I think it's largely pointless, especially since it's a name written in katakana.

It's the difference between とる and とおる

There is literally none.

Except that is a big difference in Japanese.

Yeah, that's a bad definition of じどうし. For example, 起きる is jidoushi but it takes 〜が (subject) arguments.

No, you're right. In English they are both /toʊ/, but they're trying to represent the original Japanese.

STOP RUNNING FROM THE PROBLEM, SHITBIRD

Why is this on Holla Forums?

Still waiting on any advice you may have, aaab2c Or are you just going to throw redtext tantrums every few days in this thread?

What is the meaning of the last pic? Simply "A lie"? Or maybe "What a lie"?
What is the meaning of that dot at the end? Is it just to give that kawaii effect?

Something like "all lies"

yeah, it's basically "that was a bunch of lies". That dot is a japanese period.

Why do people even bother with anki this far in?
Just read stuff and use a dictionary.

As long as you remain determined, you'll make progress step by step.

I kept with it longer than I needed to because it was what I was comfortable doing, but if people find that it's what works best for them then they should stick with it. I don't use it too much anymore, but sometimes I'll run through shorter decks for a while.

Some faggot just gifted me "Learn Japanese To Survive! Hiragana Battle" is it useful or can I just disregard it?

I use it as a supplement to keep my vocab sharp.

I guess it could be useful if you don't even know hiragana.

From what I've seen, it's not bad, but what it will teach you could be learned slightly faster with paper flashcards/one of the many hiragana anki decks.

Fair enough.
I feel like a lot of people are burning themselves out needlessly after a certain point by bloating the list with everything imaginable instead of having fun.

You're most likely right, I stopped using it because I realized exactly that, and when I use anki now it's only to expose myself to a lot of new words, I spend most of my study time reading.

I spend way more time reading than I do with anki. If it was burning me out I wouldn't do it.

『そこには自爆スイッチが!!!』

Oh my.

Alright, thanks anons.
No, I don't know shit japanese.
I've been meaning to for a long while but never really had the time until now.

How fucked am I? It's easy to do daily kanji reps, but I look at grammar and my eyes start to glaze over.
I think the issue is how 'loose' Tae Kim/Sakubi are. Anyone have recommendations for something more regimented (drills, practice tests, etc.)? I've looked at some textbooks, but they all do dumb shit like leaving everything in Romaji.

If you can read the characters and understand the words used just reading things in context can help you pick up grammar at a basic level.

You're fine, I was the same way when I first started out. You aren't going to get grammar just by reading some guides, you need to practice it by reading actual text.

tae kim isn't any looser than it needs to be, use it as a reference while reading basic stuff and you'll see that Japanese at a basic level has very simple and consistent grammar.

Is rayearth worth reading?

If you need regimented and self contained then there's Genki. It stops using romaji after a couple chapters. There are a lot of things in it that are technically wrong but it will tell you what to do I what order with lots of practice.

Try minna no nihongo.
Both me and my father are using it.

I've been taking stabs at reading, but while I can usually understand the individual kanji I have trouble understanding the context of the entire sentence.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into Minna no Nihongo. I'd considered Genki before, but the Romaji was an issue for me. Didn't realize they phased it out eventually.

Understanding the kana/kanji is the first step, since then you can actually begin to read the words. Next you need vocab and a lot of reading practice. Read even if you don't understand it, while referencing a dictionary and tae kim.

今日、あの「会話」に行きました。あれもよかったです。二人日本人と一人日本語を話す韓国人と会いました。でも、よく話せませんでした。私は日本語の語彙が小さくて、ほとんど英語と話しました。

Could you please explain this sentence?

You met two Japaneses and one Japanese speaking Korean?

I only just started myself, but it seems all right so far.
As you can see, everything has furigana so you'll easily be able to look up any kanji you don't know.

The OP made me realize how bad my attention span is. It took me 3 days to actually set up my studying because I can't read the contents of an entire page. I have to skim through everything very quickly and click any links I see instantly.
I had to suppress the need to make a post asking to be spoon-fed.
The Internet is so powerful but instead of using it for good things like learning a new language I just mindlessly browsed like a retard and got to this point. I hope it's not too late, lads.

「あれもよかったです」と言うより、「また会話が良かった」と言うはもっと自然っぽいかもしれません。だが、そんな日記ことはいい!

yes, that's what he meant

I used to be there, it's hard, but you have to put in serious effort not to be distracted when you study. Instead of trying to ignore distractions, you're going to get the most mileage out of closing everything else on your computer and setting time limits before you can do anything else. If you want it, you can do it.

shit, I clicked when I meant for the second response

You could get some physical books for studying/reading material too. Going oldschool with a book and some paper for notes helps cut out distractions. I'd buy physical copies of all the manga I read if it wasn't so damn expensive to import.

Are you me?
I had the same problem. When you're aware of it, though, you can correct it. 病巣して。

「普段はアホに見えるゆう意味?」は、「ゆう」の意味が分からない。関西弁ガイドをよく読まなかった?

Guessing it's just 言う

yeah, that's probably it. I saw とーゆー in a VN once, but the lack of a と threw me off here.

Am I missing something or is this a book for people that can already read nip?

sounds like a good way to practice reading, you won't have to be a good reader to use it.

It's definitely for people who already have at least a basic grasp of the language, but let me just say this: that was the book I was assigned when I went to Japan to learn the language, and with good cause. It eases you into grammar and has clear examples of everyday use of the shit it's trying to teach you. When you get to the point that you can understand what it's saying, it'll become your primary learning tool.

I actually started because of this thread and it took off, now it's just a routine thing I do. Don't give up.

Nigger holding back my N4 completion

That's 質, baka

Nevermind, I thought you meant the purple one.

You had me confused for a second but I realized my screenshot didn't include the color-code legend.

What site is that?

idigtech.com/wanikani/
Just a statistics script for wanikani.com

I learned 貸す playing fire emblem, with all the missions where there were collaborating armies 「力を貸して!」 I heard it a lot.

Oh, thanks.

I think I once read that if you switch your Switch's language to Japanese, some games display in Japanese. I think I read that about Breath of the Wild. Is that true or am I confused?

Try it and find out?

Would that I could. I'm picking up a Switch in a few days.

Getting back into the grind after a bazillion years. Forgot how much fun this is.

Yeah, if the langauge is available, switching the system language switches the game language

I think it's a requirement to support that when putting a game with multiple language settings on the Switch

The correct way to say it is to put the number after the person. 日本人二人 not 二人日本人. If you want to say it in the opposite order, it needs to be 二人の日本人 instead nigger.

と言った方が not と言うは

I think its to emphasize that the o is a long o sound and h is used in english to stress out vowels like ahhhh, and ohhhh instead of just an 'a' or 'o' sound when in japanese the vowels are said longer and in some cases the longer vowel makes for a different word like いえ and いいえ

I want to try playing Touhoumon or Pokemon in japanese for practice purpose.
How do I go about looking up words that I don't know?
Words in hiragana and katakana are easy enough, I can just type them into jisho.
But what about kanjis?
Is there a website that allows me to upload an image of a kanji which will then give me its definition?
I know that jisho has a kanji searching tool which requires me to draw the kanji in, but I'm struggling to get that to work

you're going to have to learn to search by radical, it's a pain in the ass, especially by first, but you can get somewhat good at it with practice.

Thanks, that does sound a lot better

You have to use proper stroke order, so it's not that useful for kanji you don't know.

Go to google translate, select Japanese and then you can draw the kanji.
There are some phone apps that supposedly do the image search thing, but they are not the best.

I can confirm that. If you already have a save file that started in English, everything in your inventory, and everything you come across will be in Japanese. It doesn't work for every game on the Switch, but it does with some.

In the past, I've failed to get past two weeks of Anki multiple times, but I'm finally making it this time and have been doing it consistently for months, because I set my new card count insultingly low. However, I also don't want to waste any time. How do I know whether it's safe to increase my daily new card count? How do I recognize the difference between pushing myself to my maximum efficiency and unreasonable demands made by my own impacience? I don't want to burn myself out again.

try increasing the new card count by 3 and working for another week or two, you'll know if it's too much.

Am I basically learning a few chinese words because of this Onyomi vs Kunyomi? Why none of those links talks about this?

You're not. Chinese not only pronounces most characters completely differently not mentioning regional dialects and there's a lot of those, but also because the nips have such a limited sound range in their language while chinese is polar opposite of that most of the pronounciations that are similar completely lose the nuance of the chinese tone that is used again making them hard to understand.

no, Chinese works entirely different from Japanese, and onyomi is just an adaptation of the Chinese pronunciation into the Japanese language, it's not actually Chinese words. Even if you became fluent in Japanese, the only leg up it would give you for learning Chinese is that your brain would already be trained to recognize thousands of kanji, you won't have any functional knowledge of the language.

god fucking damn it I'm retarded and need to double check which post number I'm replying to, was meant for

turns out I'm double retarded and didn't notice that a new post came in while I was typing that one up, I meant my response for the original question asking about learning chinese.

bully me plz

How do reset Anki?
I just learned 3 things in 2 days (lmoa) and it wants me to learn 35 cards right now.

ur gay

It is possible that you will learn a few words that are written the same way in both languages, but they will not sound the same (at best they will sound similar but different), and you will not be able to tell which ones they are unless you go learn Chinese too.
You will learn a lot of words that look the same and similar to Chinese words but mean entirely different things.

Bump.

Sometimes, I will visualize kana to help me better remember a word. This sounds stupid, but it works. Take 鏡 for instance. It means mirror and is composed of three kana か・な・み. So, I look at these three kana. I visualize that I have a needle with a thread, and I pass the needle through the か then on to the な and finally to the み so I can visualize them all strung together. The idea is to recognize that "these three syllables strung together make a word"

Try it, I guess, if mnemonics are gay and you don't want to use them. This is basically a visual mnemonic that can be repeated for different words. You can even visualize different colored "string" to help you identify between verbs and nouns and adjectives or whatever the fuck.

Fuck me. I am an idiot. It's かがみ not かなみ. How the fuck did I make that mistake twice.

Good to know, thanks. I was wanting to do that with Breath of the Wild.

Is this the correct reading? Why is a counter at the end of a sentence fragment like that which has nothing to do with quantity?

本田 = Honda
技研 = technical research institute
工業 = industry
特別 = special
競 = race
技 = skill
車両 = wheeled vehicle
It's probably something like, "Honda technical research institute industry special racing vehicle"

Thank god I'm not a storyfag that wastes the short time he has on this earth learning a shit tier language just so I can understand a generic, cliche plot to some gook videogame.

Can you really claim a better use of your time in this instance?

Technically, yes in a some cases, but usually the pronounciation is way different.
Here are some examples:
愛 ai means love and is pronounced and spelled exactly the same way in Chinese and Japanese, aside from maybe tone. Another one, 電話 dianhua is Chinese for でんわ, written identically and sounds very similar.

You don't need something retarded like that to remember it. It's composed of these three radicals 金立見. STAND and LOOK at a piece of METAL (like a bronze mirror) to see your reflection. Metal is on the left because it's classified as a metal object because that's what mirrors were in the first place.

Better than wasting your time doing normalfag shit or slaving away at a full time job to pay some whore who rides the cock carousel while you're at work.

It's actually 金 +立 + 日 +儿, but 日 +儿 looks similar enough to 見 that it works as a mnemonic.

You're talking about visual recognition, I'm talking about remembering the specific syllables that comprise the word itself.

Chinese is interpretative.
For example
同: Tong, it's a radical and it translates to "similar" but can also be used for "with"

性: Xing, first radical has no pinying put it's red as xin, second one is sheng.
Because 忄's pinying is xin and because it's next to sheng it can be translated to "heart" or "mind".
Shen can be used for "birth", "student", "life" and "raw".
Now, xing as of itself means "nature", "personality", "quality", "sexual relationships", "sexuality", and "gender."

Tong -> Similar
Xing -> Gender

同性: Tongxing = Faggot

If you add Lien (love) 恋 next to Tong Xing you have Tong Xing Lien, Faggotry

Learning Chinese can't be as bad as those screencaps make it out to be, right? Those only apply if you have formal education and get a Chinese degree. And even with that, you don't have to tell your employer that you own one.

What other reason would there be to learn Chinese though? It's not like they make anything of value.

This. Chinks don't make any good media so learning chink is only good for interacting with actual chinks who are a bad and mean spirited as niggers, but also actually intelligent.

I learn languages as a hobby. I'm making myself kinda like a mental collection.

That's pretty neat. What languages are you currently learning or practicing?

No point in leaning a language you're never going to use.

I don't think you know what collection means

At the moment I know english, spanish, russian, and euskera; I know a little bit of chinese, portuguese, hindi and latin; and I'm trying to get the hang of japanese, korean, mongolian and arabic.

Same with all hobbies, you do them just because they're fun.

Oh, and Italian.

Holy shit. After only ONE WEEK of core2k I'm able to solve high school textbook math problems. :^)

Strong autism.

No need to insult yourself like that.

Hello cuckchan.
(checked)

Spoiler tags don't work like that on halfchan. That's some html forum shit.

That's how they worked last I remember it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Are you sure you have even been there?

ayo hol up

Then why are you calling me a cuckchan if you've been there? I don't even go there btw.
Sounds like you are a self-hating faggot.

Because most of us are originally from there, you stupid forum scum? Now go be a retard somewhere else.

What? Are you okay, son? Stop projecting, kid.

So, what are you guys currently practicing? What are you reading/listening/watching/playing? Any milestones you wish to brag about?

I've hit 1000 mature words in my 2k/6k deck, which really feels nice. I've been grinding away for months now, and I've learned quite a bit of vocabulary. My grammar is still poor, so I've been reading guides, and have been reading easy manga, and I'm pretty amazed at how my comprehension has improved since I first started.

Those who are studying: good job, keep up the good work. 頑張って!

r8 my immersion

Japanese Todd Howard?

Could you please share some of your methods and give us some tips, m8?

Just started Tales of Vesperia for PS3

0/10

I've been watching 「僕だけがいない街」 on Netflix because I don't want to watch things that I'd actually care about until I'm proficient enough to consume it and understand the majority of what's been said. It's nice that Netflix has Japanese subtitles, so I just throw those on and watch and listen for words that I understand.

I also sometimes go to jewtube and listen to some of those weeb ASMR videos. A lot of them are sexual in nature, but I don't mind that. I like qt jap grills making sucking noises in my ear, and I get in some listening practice.

I tried playing Pokemon Emerald in Japanese, but fuck that. Everything is in motherfucking kana. Now, I am interesting in playing Ace Combat 5 in Japanese, but the problem is that I'm not yet at a point where I can understand the decisions that the game periodically asks you to make, so I just dropped that game, too. I was thinking of playing Dark Souls in Japanese. It's perfect for a beginner because item descriptions are very short.

I could do like OP and play Skies of Arcadia, but not sure where I'd get a GCN Jap ISO. Nintendo has nuked all ROM sites of their content.

I wouldn't recommend Dark Souls, you encounter a very small amount of text and if you've played the game before, you don't *have* to actually read any of it to progress through the game. You're best off playing a simple JRPG that has a lot of text, like pokemon would but one that's not all kana. I'm not sure of the best places to get japanese ISOs, but someone posted a link to most of the japanese PS2 library a few threads ago.

That was only of first party games games like Skies of Arcadia not actually made by Nintendo should be fine. In fact the site I use has the NA and EU versions of it up. No Japanese version though. Was it called something else in Japan?

Play Dragon Quest 1 maybe it is a real simple game that requires you to be able to listen to people to know where to go.

mega.nz/#!3lBkDK7S!yADa10lZmdkY0uJB4oJCN3B1pb9qqDlu4E2zXRXtC1U

Eternal Arcadia

the easiest way to check the names of games in japan (doesn't work for really obscure ones) is to go to the english wikipedia site and select the japanese version of the article. In japan it was called エターナルアルカディア

Dragon Quest 1 is another game that has almost no text at all. You want a game that will have you reading as much as you are playing, you just don't want to play a game that's really sci-fi or futuristic when you're a beginner, as those tend to use lots of computer/science/technology terms. I was actually playing Dragon Quest XI in japanese, and I'd definitely recommend that other beginners play it, it was simple and fun until I LEFT MY 3DS ON THE FUCKING PLANE AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks for the link

I will probably play Dark Souls anyway, just because I've played it for so long and I'd like to contrast all the different item descriptions with their English counterparts. I also thought about the Witcher 3, which has a Japanese dub. That game is very text and conversation heavy, so if you're at a point where you can comfortably read, then it should be easy to trudge through.

Not sure what else I can play. Ni-Oh is not very text heavy, though it does have item descriptions like in Dark Souls. I also think that in that game they speak classical Japanese, so you'd already have to be at a high level to understand it, though I guess you could still recognize a lot of words.

you can literally play any text-heavy fantasy JRPG, but don't play something with optional text (and I think in dark souls the item descriptions will probably be pretty romanticized, they certainly were in English), and if you can't find ROMs for anything, someone here can probably spoonfeed you up to a certain point. I had a good time with Atelier Firis, it had a lot of varied talking and some seriously cute stuff in it. Kingdom Hearts 2 wasn't a bad choice either, but some of the parts where they were talking about hearts and darkness and shit were kind of tough to understand.

Also don't play Japanese localizations of games, they have the same problems with localizations we do.

Alright, well, do you have suggestions for SNES games? Maybe Japanese Chrono Trigger? Final Fantasy VI? What about Suikoden? Games from the Mana series?

I haven't played every game in Japanese - just pick one and stick with it. If it's too hard for you to understand, then set it down, do some other reading practice, and come back to it later.

You know what you have have to do now.

Come on, that fallout 4 isn't even in Japanese

Shit game, but it is in Japanese.

Looks like Chinese. If it were Japanese they would use katakana.

I think it is Chinese, this listing
ebay.com/itm/FALLOUT-4-Game-of-the-Year-Edition-Disc-PS4-2017-Asia-English-Chinese-/263235847786
uses the same characters. Either way, I understood what he meant, though I can't imagine wanting to play fallout 4 in any language

Western games shouldn't be played in Japanese anyway, same reason Japanese games shouldn't be played in English. Play in the original language whenever possible.

new thread