Daily News Thread 2/27

Trump's Budget Won’t Touch Entitlement Programs, Mnuchin Says

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said President Donald Trump’s upcoming budget won’t touch entitlement programs such as Social Security or Medicare, and will instead focus on ways to produce long-term economic growth by slashing taxes.
bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-26/mnuchin-says-upcoming-trump-budget-won-t-touch-entitlements

Trump budget plan boosts Pentagon, trims State Dept, EPA: officials

One of the officials said Trump's request for the Pentagon included more money for shipbuilding, military aircraft and establishing "a more robust presence in key international waterways and chokepoints" such as the Strait of Hormuz and South China Sea.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-budget-idUSKBN16605M

Trump navy secretary nominee withdraws citing disruption to financial interests

Philip Bilden announces his decision only days after White House said he was 100% committed to the role.
theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/27/trump-nomination-navy-secretary-withdraws-philip-bilden

Primary for Virginia Governor Tests Power of an Anti-Trump Campaign

The campaign for Virginia governor is expected to offer insights about the political landscape: the first statewide election of the Trump era set in a state that both major parties’ presidential nominees contested last year.
nytimes.com/2017/02/26/us/virginia-governor-trump-northam-perriello.html?_r=0

Eviction Companies Pay the Homeless Illegally Low Wages to Put People on the Street

"We thought that this had been resolved years and years ago."
washingtoncitypaper.com/news/article/20852999/eviction-companies-pay-the-homeless-illegally-low-wages-to-put-people-on-the-street

Store closings are part of the business, but is this business as usual?

2017 is just two months old, but we have already experienced what feels like a year’s worth of major store closing and liquidation announcements from national brands.
chainstoreage.com/article/store-closings-are-part-business-business-usual

Scraping by on six figures? Tech workers feel poor in Silicon Valley's wealth bubble

Big tech companies pay some of the country’s best salaries. But workers claim the high cost of living in the Bay Area has them feeling financially strained.
theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/27/silicon-aa-cost-of-living-crisis-has-americas-highest-paid-feeling-poor

Poll: Majority thinks media too critical of Trump

A majority of Americans believe news organizations are too critical of President Trump, according to a Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll released Sunday.
thehill.com/homenews/media/321250-poll-majority-thinks-media-too-critical-of-trump

May Reiterates Opposition to New Scots Independence Referendum

U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May remains opposed to a second referendum on Scottish independence, her spokesman said, after a report that Scotland’s government is preparing to call another vote pushed the pound lower.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-27/may-reiterates-opposition-to-new-scots-independence-referendum

North Korea spy agency runs arms operation out of Malaysia, U.N. says

Glocom is a front company run by North Korean intelligence agents that sells battlefield radio equipment in violation of United Nations sanctions, according to a United Nations report submitted to the Security Council seen by Reuters.
reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-malaysia-arms-insight-idUSKBN1650YE

Germany's rightwing AfD party struggles to cope with internal crisis

Alternative für Deutschland’s support has slumped since a leading politician called for Germany to stop atoning for its Nazi past.
theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/27/germany-rightwing-afd-party-struggles-internal-crisis

Trump-Style Australian Populists Gain in Polls as Turnbull Flounders

Anti-immigrant populists and the opposition Labor party advanced in opinion polls as Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s government descended into infighting.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-26/trump-style-aussie-populists-gain-in-polls-as-turnbull-flounders

Other urls found in this thread:

jacobinmag.com/2017/02/steve-bannons-autobahn/
theintercept.com/2017/02/27/los-angeles-mayor-flirts-with-sanctuary-movement-while-collaborating-with-ice/
dissidentvoice.org/2017/02/the-immigrant-proletariat-the-muslim-ban-and-the-capitalist-class/
washingtonpost.com/politics/these-iowans-voted-for-trump-many-of-them-are-already-disappointed/2017/02/26/18f86b86-fa8d-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.ccb4f2c55970
counterpunch.org/2017/02/27/down-with-obamacare-up-with-single-payer/
evonomics.com/neoliberalism-richer-three-reasons-chris-dillow/
vice.com/en_us/article/the-uneasy-relationship-between-conservatives-and-the-alt-right
youtube.com/watch?v=YhtwUk3QagQ
wolfstreet.com/2017/02/26/uber-cant-make-money-unless-it-uses-self-driving-cars-gets-rid-of-human-drivers/
wolfstreet.com/2017/02/17/decade-of-stagnation-us-retail-sales-less-ecommerce-auto-sales/
simulation-argument.com/simulation.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP/EDs

Steve Bannon’s Autobahn

You can’t fight Herrenvolk populism with weak-tea liberalism.
jacobinmag.com/2017/02/steve-bannons-autobahn/

Los Angeles Mayor Flirts With Sanctuary Movement While Collaborating With ICE

Garcetti’s rhetoric around sanctuary cities isn’t the only thing that has left immigrant advocates frustrated. They also complain that he is in the process of watering down a major local initiative to provide due process to the targets of Trump’s deportation regime.
theintercept.com/2017/02/27/los-angeles-mayor-flirts-with-sanctuary-movement-while-collaborating-with-ice/

The Immigrant Proletariat, the Muslim Ban, and the Capitalist Class

The exploitation of the immigrant proletariat, mainly those that are “high-skilled,” by the tech industry, explains the harsh opposition from Silicon Valley to Trump’s executive order. Without the visa program, the industry would likely collapse or at least be weakened.
dissidentvoice.org/2017/02/the-immigrant-proletariat-the-muslim-ban-and-the-capitalist-class/

These Iowans voted for Trump. Many of them are already disappointed.

While Iowa is still home to many strong supporters who say it’s too early to judge him, there are others who say they voted for Trump simply because he wasn’t Clinton.
washingtonpost.com/politics/these-iowans-voted-for-trump-many-of-them-are-already-disappointed/2017/02/26/18f86b86-fa8d-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.ccb4f2c55970

Down with Obamacare, Up with Single Payer!

ACA had always been nothing but a massive bail-out for Big Pharma and its hustlers in the insurance industry.
counterpunch.org/2017/02/27/down-with-obamacare-up-with-single-payer/

Neoliberalism Was Supposed to Make Us Richer: Three Reasons Why It Didn’t

How neoliberalism contributed to the productivity slowdown.
evonomics.com/neoliberalism-richer-three-reasons-chris-dillow/

The Uneasy Relationship Between Conservatives and the Alt-Right

The new, Trumpy face of the right is making the old-school conservatives of CPAC nervous.
vice.com/en_us/article/the-uneasy-relationship-between-conservatives-and-the-alt-right

ahahhahahahahahahhaahahahhahahahahahah

Trump is such a bitch.

Putin BTFO'd him.

WE MUST STOP THE DEMOCRATS RECKLESS SPENDING

I think they're planning to raise $1 trillion from border taxes on imports – a 20% tax I hear.

Really looking forward to the incipient economic crisis tbqh

That's supposed to pay for the shitty wall that won't stop anyone.

Regardless, a 20% tariff on Mexican imports is going to hurt middle-class Americans, even more so if Mexico decides to retaliate and buy their grain somewhere else.

But our economy IS growing, the profits are just going to the top you fucking triple nigger. He knows exactly what the fuck he's doing right here.

youtube.com/watch?v=YhtwUk3QagQ

Not really surprising, retail has been getting fucked since 08, and it's gotten worse in the last few years as more people have transitioned to low paying jobs/not working and thus can't support said retail chains

lmao remember when Holla Forums thought Trump is against the military industrial complex?

Uber sued by Google's Self Driving Car Unit, reveals major financial losses
Waymo, the self-driving car unit of Google’s parent company, filed a lawsuit on Thursday in federal court against Uber and its recently acquired startup Otto, accusing Uber and Otto’s founder Anthony Levandowski, who’d been a project leader at Google’s self-driving-cars project since 2009, of stealing a huge pile of trade secrets. In a federal court filing in San Francisco, Waymo said Anthony Levandowski, who runs Uber’s autonomous car division, downloaded 14,000 files from Google a month before leaving to start his own self-driving car company, Otto.

This lawsuit sheds new light on a problem Uber has, a problem that transcends all other problems, of which Uber has plenty: In 2015, Uber lost $2.2 billion; in 2016, the losses are said to have jumped to $3 billion. Those are rough figures that may underestimate how much money Uber is losing and don’t include interest, taxes or stock-based compensation.

wolfstreet.com/2017/02/26/uber-cant-make-money-unless-it-uses-self-driving-cars-gets-rid-of-human-drivers/

tdlr, Uber is desperate to get self-driving cars on the road, 4 million jobs in logistics/driving gone in the next few years

b-but it's okay to fight against China since they're commies!

tbh, the window for a successful war against China is already over, as is any attempt to retake the trade routes of the South China Sea

I believe the plan is to keep permanent ship deployment in the South China Sea to counter Chinese's newly built military islands.

Profits keep going up and up right along with store closings and massive layoffs. I work retail and despite record profits year after year full timers keep getting cut and stores keep getting closed.

Gosh! Isn't that weird?

Where are the sales coming from? Overseas?

And any country that owns WMDs.

I actually don't think sales have much to do with it. All the money seems to be in giving customers credit cards and loans to buy their cheap foreign crap. I can't think of a store that doesn't offer a credit card any more.

We basically already have this with the naval bases in Japan and Australia, adding in more ships there means nothing, especially in such a narrow region
The problem is threefold, the biggest is that the South China Sea is right off the Chinese coast, it's their backyard while the US is on the other side of the world. This means that the China can easily achieve local superiority

The second big issue is that the US navy has a global mission, if we commit to the SCS it opens holes elsewhere in the US' global strategy. Especially since a large portion of the US fleet is almost always tied up in drydock or is too expensive to have operating, tying into Chinese local superiority

Finally, I don't think US allies in the region would fight and die for the US if the Sino-Russian bloc offers them a better deal

Credit ties a ton into it, average household debt has skyrocketed
80% of the US population is in debt at any given time

Cant wait for the USA to collapse
It will be one hell of a ride

It's really surreal we're trapped in an Invader Zim episode. I'm not saying invader zim is good.

I'm saying we're living in a reality as simplistically satiric of the public as any Invader Zim episode.

Everything is just so fucking stupid

lmao seriously i know

LIMIES GET OUT AND TAKE YOUR NUKES, CAMERAS, DISARMAMENT, HOTPOCKETS, INTERNET-KILLER TRADE DEALS, NAME-N-SHAME OPT-INS AND HATRED OF FUN WITH YOU REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wow if only there was a third option. Oh well there were only le two choices lel XD

Nothing gets past this guy

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

It hasn't grown since collapse of 2008, lad.

hahaha holy fuck, Uber is going to crash and take the whole tech bubble with it

When did Uber manage to make that much money to lose is my question.

And how the fuck can it lose money? On what?

To expand on my earlier thought a bit, I don't think sales as in actual purchases have actually risen. Everyone buys stuff on credit, so on paper buying is up and profits are up etc etc but the reality is that if it weren't for these stores giving this shit away with 'credit' the economy would have ground to a halt years ago. People just keep buying and selling based on the premise that these promises are worth something and that eventually the economy is going to pick back up and save everyone.

So basically, the USA's economy is the Wiley Coyote.

i can't think of anything good je did since he took office tbh

Basically

venture capitalists mainly and other easily dazzled investors

All it takes is one bad court case and they're done, especially the whole issue of insurance and then employees vs contractors

It's been like that for years
crash soon

Found a decent article talking about retail sales

wolfstreet.com/2017/02/17/decade-of-stagnation-us-retail-sales-less-ecommerce-auto-sales/

basically, take away online sales and the collapse of retail was pretty obvious

Then why do I always see reports of record profits and corporate circlejerking?

book cooking and publicity reports to make sure the market doesn't crash
Also why the US real unemployment rate isn't reported and the reason they stopped talking about labor force participation rate

I can buy that.

Unfortunately Linke is losing a lot of ground to the SPD recently, however AfD and Grüne plummeting in the polls makes that halfway bearable.

i think Germans are way more educated on Average than Americans.

Germans are the most brainwashed population of the 20th century

I don't think retail sales are being cannibalized by online sales. I think it's a crisis of effective demand due to stagnant or declining wages.

Stock market is pure speculation. It can grow without any growth in the real economy.

Wow, Jacobin is now officially intellectually void.

It's not even that the thesis is wrong, it's not. The text is just so repulsive, so thoroughly riddled with alternating ad hominem and pure insults, so barren of actual argumentation or insight, no matter how much it tries to disguise it with flowery uses of random dictionary words, that after reading it I actually find myself less convinced of my own, largely matching opinion. The number of undecideds it managed to convince must be negative.

All editorial staff who allowed those feces in should just off themselves.

Not all articles are written to convince undecideds.

I don't understand the American fetishization of the so called "independent voter".

Explain, I was under the impression they were the smartest of the Euros.

And why is that? Germans have been classcucked since the German revolution and I know very few Germans who are actually knowledgeable about leftism

AfD losing ground is not desirable at all, the stronger the CDU the more likely a coalition between SPD/CDU becomes. AfD at 20% would be a good thing for the German left, ironically enough

They are complete slaves to neo-liberal agenda, and have been an intellectual occupied territory for nearly 80 years. If Americans are retards the Germans are slaves to retards.

Calexit when? The Big One would be nice too. Hell, maybe even both at the same time.

Reminder.

Making money on what? Their product is busting taxi franchises. Their MoP is lobbying. The rides are a byproduct.

Give me one good reason middle-class Americans shouldn't, in a just world, be dragged out into the street and beaten until they stop thinking of themselves as superior.

Because the rich are, like, right there?

This is already happening in the Philippines.

I don't follow you. The rich are no more effective than Pic related without their loyal, aspirational middle-class help.

what?

Fucking why?

it's legit though. in NY you're looking at $2k/month for a small apartment, in SF $3k, not to mention all the other ridiculous expenses there

simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

Accelerationism was really the only good reason to support Trump, I don't see how that makes him a neoliberal out of "spite".

Because the world of business is a world of make believe. Real production, consumption, and value don't matter. What matters is how much you can convince people ask the shit in your books is worth.

I'm just looking forward to this whole stupid system falling apart, and the sooner it does the better for a number of reasons.

🍀🍀🍀Connor Kilpatrick🍀🍀🍀 is based. Fuck off

Connor took some flak recently for saying some impious stuff on twitter so I imagine the strident tone of this piece with regards to stuff the Jacobin audience already hates is his way of trying to gain back a little cred with the student activist set.