Prince of Persia games

Making a thread because why not.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GzbKZFsiJIA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because put some effort into it.

We will never get another comfy linear swashbuckling game like sands of time again.

Alright, here is some effort:
youtube.com/watch?v=GzbKZFsiJIA

2005 says hello.

Can I skip the first one and get straight to the second one?

No because you'll miss out on the best 3D Prince of Persia.

I never understood this mindset. It's a trilogy, each game is a part. It's like skipping A New Hope just to get to Empire, cause "it's darker and edgier and therefore cooler".

Playing Sands of Time right now, and it is a SOLID game. 10/10 platforming aside, even the fighting (with its mostly 1 button mashing) is great if you integrate the block and the jump wisely, while using your environment.

And you're a bit strange. People usually shit on Warrior Within, never on Sands of Time.

The mindset is forstered by kiddies that didnt experience the time when AAA wasnt dogshit.
They get told on Holla Forums that tripple ayy sucks but fail to understand that it doesnt just suck unconditionally, it sucks in comparison to when it didnt all fucking sucked, and then proceed to project that on actually good vidya and later make "unpopular opinions" threads or some other cancer where they then parrot opinions that they heard on the chins.

I remember when I was like 14 and I jumped over a sweeping sword for the first time in Sands of Time, I felt so cool, couldn't believe video games were able to do shit like that now. The combat in sands of time may be really fucking simple and easy but it just has that charm to it. It was the first game that let you easily do stuff that amazing. It began the dark times that were action games prior to dark souls blowing up. However like most firsts it was great and there was a reason why it inspired all the copying.

I played Sands of Time not too long ago. It's still bretty gud. The combat kind of sucks though, but I'd still take it over asscreed. The obstacle courses and the puzzles are the best part. Ubishit should have just made asscreed but without the retarded plot and open world bullshit, and instead focused on producing a number of moderately sized, self contained, but non linear obstacle courses that could be completed through wall jumping and all the other freerunning techniques, and that led to a Hitman-esque stealth segment in which you actually have to infiltrate and sneak or disguise yourself and get close enough to assassinate some asshole at the end, then it'd be a million times better. Mario Odyssey is a better parkour game than asscreed for fucks sake.

Yeah, I played the sequels but its been so long that I don't remember much about either of them. I just remember the ending boss of the second game sucked shit because it was you just walk into a room and its game over and then the I STAND ALONE theme plays and you're just like, "what? no boss battle?"

The first one is by far the best one. If you're going to skip any skip the third one. It tried to be the first game but cut out a lot of what made the first one good while putting in extra shit that came out clunky at best.
I played the second one first when it was new and then marathoned the trilogy a couple of years ago. Although I really liked the twist in the middle of the second game, and the chase sequences are great especially if you try to rewind I'd still say the first is best over all.

Fucking what there are two different end boss fights depending on if you got all the health upgrades or not.

huh, that's news to me. I just remember fighting a huge griffin like beast or something of that nature, and then the game ends when you go into some matrix zone or something. I played it multiple times and never got any other ending, so I guess I missed something.

That's good at least.

You're like 4/5ths through the game there. After you get the mask you have to go back to the empresses room where the final boss fight is. The mask constantly drains your health but slowly replenishes sand so it's pretty easy to get killed accidentally. I remember the game bugging out just before the eagle fight maling it not spawn but still play the music sometimes so it could have been that.
Lots of backtracking in that game. You go through each area like 3 times each.

How about that Two Thrones.

I'd recommend you play the first one and stop there.

Is the 2008 reboot good or bad?

no, they made the only part that was any challenging - the platforming - impossible to fail.
no no, that didn't happen

Warrior Within is the best Prince of Persia, anyone who disagrees is a retard

It was boring and tedious, as well as annoying. Also, the ending was DLC and only came out for some versions of the game.

See

It's thoroughly boring.
Unless you think pic related would make a good waifu, stay away.
Or play it and see for yourself.

The worst thing about it is that it has a fantastic combat system (ruined because the fights are terrible).
Parrying, dodging, countering – it was all really smooth and well done and I've never been able to find a good game with something similar for a while now.
It's a shame, really.

If someone has a gun pointed at your head saying you must play WW first, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't.

The annoying part of combat was having to disintegrate each and every enemy for every single battle.
It probably sounded like a great idea in the devs' heads, but it just prolongs things unnecessarily.
Still a fantastic game.

WW gets a lot of flak for having a markedly different tone, but I'd say the mechanics are much better.

Would you prefer it if was PoP they were dragging through the mud and shit all these years?

In the end, it was playable.
Not great, but not bad either. The final few hours were a slog and I never replayed it.

Reminder that SoT ≥ WW > T2T

It's was really fucking boring. The input buffer is so huge, you could press a button to do a specific action, like vaulting off a pole, a full couple of seconds before you reached that pole. It's so dull.

We must be close to a new prince of persia right? r-right?!

Let it go, user. Price of Persia is like Splinter Cell. They are games of the past. Any attempts to resurrect them in the modern era is folly.

Are the hd remaster trilogy good?

Kill yourself faggot

t. Typical normalfag who asks which entires he can skip to get to the latest one because he doesn't actually care about the thing. He just wants to be in on the memes.
Kill yourself

I liked it. I liked the interactions between the Prince and his shadow.

Fuck.
Exactly my sentiment. I'm pissed it got killed off for AssCreed, but I'm glad it isn't PoP they're milking to death right now.

Yeah. I'd like to see someone create a similar game with the same type of setting though. I'd rather the Prince stays dead as long as it's in the sweaty hands of Ubisoft.

The first two games were nice.
I liked how down to earth the first one was. Just skeletons, that mirror clone guy and mysterious dranks to keep things from being completely normal.
The second one seemed a bit more clunky in gameplay and felt like it went off the deep end with the mysticism, particularly toward the tail end of the game. Bullshit medusa heads, random flying horse, birdmen and that shadow thing, Jaffa Cake taking you into some strange M.C. Escher chess dimension with a giant spider and where you shoot fireballs? Nah.
Had some nice moments in it, though. The skeleton run and bridge fight come to mind. And the magic carpet. That fucking magic carpet.
Are the 3D ones any good?

I remember enjoying Sands Of Time when I was a pleb preteen. Not sure if it holds up today.

Isn't it like a 3D Platformer? Seems alright.

3D AND SANDS OF TIME ARE BEST GAMES IN SERIES DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE

its pretty good. if I had to compare it to anything, it would be like if the uncharted games actually required timing in the platforming. It's realistic platforming, where you perform a few moves to navigate complex sequences of jumps, swings, wall-runs, and other sorts of leaps. The camera angles provide the view you usually need although I remember a few feeling misleading. Ultimately its up to you to nail the execution, and you get a few "retries" from the dagger until you run out of sand and your failure by death will restart you at the beginning of the challenge.

The more I think of it, the more I find the attempt at solving the challenge of removing lives but maintaining challenge in a video game was done well by sands of time. the combat is pretty boring, however.

So basically Uncharted with swords but done right?

Nah, it's more like a good 3D platformer with some puzzle elements and a basic combat system. Think of it like this: The whole game is one huge Zelda dungeon that is segmented into a series of obstacle courses. Each course is sort of like a puzzle; you have to know where to jump next, and you progress through each segment by timing your jumps and maneuvering between obstacles and traps. When you're not doing that, you're fighting basic enemies that can be knocked down and finished off with your dagger. Outside of this, there are some secret rooms, but it's a very linear and focused story experience that you don't really stray from.

I understand the comparison with Uncharted, but it's not entirely accurate. in Uncharted, your character enters a Cinematic Experience™ and you pretty much watch as he defies gravity. There may be a few moments where you have to continuously hold the analog stick up or do some quick time events, but it's mostly you just watching as he climbs up the cargo hold of some huge plane or some other retarded bullshit. In PoP, your acrobatics are less exciting to look at but you're in control at all times. YOU need to learn the proper timing to jump between obstacles, and YOU need to decide where you're going to jump. If you don't, you die.

tl;dr PoP = circus acrobat obstacle course simulator + basic 3D combat

If you've played Ass Creed or really any other game with a lot of wallrunning/walljumping you might not appreciate the gameplay, as it's the same but with less freedom of movement. It blew me away when I first played it but I was very young.
The storytale feel of Sands of Time is amazing though, if that's enough for you. Warrior Within is fairly different from Sands of Time but has a fun, versatile combat system, varied metroidvaniaish level design with lots of platforming and a really nice, albeit very different to SoT, artstyle. T2T is alright.
Aside from a few sh_cool Godsmack songs the WW composer, Stuart Chatwood, worked on SoT and T2T as well. He's a bassist for link related.

I'd say the games are worth playing through and the rest of the games are up to you.

I see nobody's mentioned the Forgotten Sands yet.
I was a huge fan of the Sands of Time trilogy growing up, and I even really liked '08, mostly because it felt like its own thing and because the ending was absolutely perfect, which is why I never saw the DLC and don't care to.
Hell, '08 I didn't mind probably because you could have named it Enslaved: Odyssey to the Middle-East and would have made absolutely no difference. It might not have been a "real" Prince of Persia game, but it was minding its own damn business, so I never took issue.
Forgotten Sands, on the other hand… goddamn.
Fuck Forgotten Sands. It comes off as shitty fanfiction, or like somebody watched the Jake Gyllenhaal movie and decided to make a direct-to-video game sequel of that.
Also, I'm seeing people mistakenly believing that Sands of Time is better than Warrior Within in every way, which is false. Warrior Within best combat, best weapons, best enemies, best bosses, objectively best costume, and Robin Atkin Downes is twice the voice actor Yuri Lowenthal will ever be. The most notable thing about Sands of Time is that it has the most magical art direction and atmosphere, Farah's beautiful round kakolukias, and more direct involvement from Jordan Mechner, who is a fucking genius.

I remember everyone shitting on warrior within when it came out, nice to see people recognizing its greatness now

WW is buggy as shit, but damn if it isn't fun.

beautiful assets wasted on an extremely boring game.
The combat is literally button mashing QTEs.

I think the games are supposed to take place in pre-Islamic Persia, before the region got Arab'd.

All this talk about combat. The puzzles were the highlight of these games. Finding a way to get somewhere using you parkour, that was when they shined. The combat was forgivable busywork.

I remember liking the music but hating the edgy character.

I never finished WW. I'd jump somewhere that apparently bugged the game to when I would be the wraith (spoiling that whole thing) and I didn't have the energy to start a new game.

Has anyone played this one recently? I remember almost nothing about it aside from that I played it years ago.

The epitome of bad 3D platformer, with a couple of cool things in it. I want to actually play it some time because of that.

I kind of figured that considering when it came out. Think I'll give it a replay sometime too, it's strange I remember absolutely nothing about it.

Only ever played Sands of Time, are any of the others worth a go?

They're okay, but none of them come close to Sands of Time.

Right, any to avoid?

the 2008 reboot and its 2010 sequel

basically, if Jordan Mechner (the original creator) is involved you're probably in for a good time, though his last game in the series was Sands of Time. At least you can feel his influence in Warrior Within and Two Thrones

best consoles to play the 2d games on? have a couple copies of it in my rom collection. remember hearing somewhere that the snes version of the first prince of persia is kind of gimped in some ways.

I tried to play it some years ago, until this day I can't manage to tell if trying to run in modern systems is just plain impossible or if the game was truly that bad in release.

I really like the whole feel though, it's pretty unique. For some reason I can't see to find pics that aren't thumbnails, sorry for that.

Thanks user.

I admit, that the backgrounds do have a good fantasy feeling, even if the first one is of a mechanical clock tower.

Prince of persia already on the downhill with the two thrones.

Post some music my niggers.