Any tacticool games that make you feel like you fight for every inch of ground...

Any tacticool games that make you feel like you fight for every inch of ground? Especially if they do "military bases/towers" right. I got a huge boner for this after watching tehsnakerer's review of White Gold: War in Paradise.

sudden strike
hidden stroke 2

fucking hell

Red Orchestra Ostfront did this extremely well, especially the city maps like Odessa. It gave me a sense of perspective on how much of a meatgrinder Stalingrad must have been.

thanks, this is exactly what i am looking for. anything in the vein of open world or is White Gold the only one (and its predecessor, Boiling Point) that did this?

was far cry 2 like this? where you have to fight hard for every inch? i can't remember.

not looking for RTS but these look cool anyway, thanks

u wot m8?

oh never mind. i just glanced at it and assumed because of the isometric perspective. even better, then.

Sudden Strike is a RTS you cocksucking heeb.

Well, there's the modern spiritual successor to Operation Flashpoint, ArmA. ArmA 2 was probably the peak of the series in terms of cool mods and shit, but ArmA 3 is still quite popular and has plenty of regular players and nice mods.

Thanks, I was hoping Arma was like that! I have 2 and 3 and I have yet to sink my teeth into them.

So they feel like you fight for every inch sometimes, right? My autism exploded when I realized I might have to actually just get the very janky Xenus 2: White Gold from Steam to satisfy the weird combination of open world+actually well-made military bases/towers. Again, maybe there's Far Cry 2 but I can't remember.

The ArmA games feel like a modern version of Operation Flashpoint. You shouldn't have any problem getting used to it.
The king of the hill servers for ArmA capture that fighting for every inch feeling pretty decently, much like the Odessa video I posted. It all depends on the type of scenario you're playing. Most of the campaign missions feel more contained, where you fight a few squads of troops before completing the mission. But KOTH servers are very active indeed, where all the players converge on one city on the area map. There are also much more open world type scenarios, and even ones that use the whole island map to do a weird sort of roleplay thing, and everything inbetween.

Good it was only 5 bucks at G2A

I played the beta/demo and wasn't too impressed. It was playable, but not particularly better than Insurgency, and of course the lack of vehicular combat is once again a tragedy as it is with Insurgency and Day of Infamy. Also, the aiming is janky as fuck and I commonly saw people pulling up their sights and spamming the trigger before their sights are even lined up, yet they still score hits. Whereas RO:O very accurately represented your weapon's point-of-aim on screen (that is, your bullet just about always went exactly where you were pointing; conversely this made recoil quite severe to handle with just your mouse). ArmA still retains this level of point-of-aim accuracy. In fact I'm fairly sure there isn't any difference between your first-person-view of your weapon and the world's rendering of your weapon position. That discrepancy is the norm in FPSes; usually the first-person-view will have a wholly separate rendering and animation set compared to what other players see when they look at you.

graw/2 360 version.

Men of War's SP skirmish maps do this well. Advancing along a long map where you take point by point and have to stop and fortify against enemy counterattacks. It's hard, slow going, moving up against enemy AT guns and MG nests.

Yeah, I remember playing the game at launch and thinking "What the fuck is this? Why is this so good now when I couldn't even believe it was a feature in the first game and nobody used it?"

but its nothing compared to hidden stroke resource war

Are the Close Combat games something you'd be interested in, OP? They quite literally have a game mechanic where you fight for each inch of ground within the maps, push further into the map and you get to deploy within those grids the next deployment phase and the battles can last for days at a time with night mechanics and digging in with foxholes in the later titles.

My personal favorite of this series would be Close Combat 5 due to the variety of units/nations and the particular operation it covers (Operation Overlord)

I'd recommend Close combat 2 or 3 if you're more into a tougher AI/grind

There's also Combat Mission but that's a real-time turn-based (you plot out your moves then hit play and watch the turn play out) I can't recommend the latest iterations of that series, but I do highly recommend the older titles as they have infantry that's a bit more believable and overall the titles are much better in terms of scale and setting. Again if you play a large scenario the battles can last days across hundreds of kilometers and honestly some of those missions/"operations" overwhelmed me in my youth and I don't think in my older more mellowed age I'd fare much better. Losing units also really hurts in these game modes because if you lose a platoon of infantry or a single tank it can affect the rest of the entire battle.

My personal favorite for these was Barbarossa to Berlin, though the Overlord and Afrika titles were also very solid.

Thanks, yeah these look cool. I have one of the Combat Missions on GOG, still need to play it.

I played the first graw demo a little before it released 10 years ago, I keep forgetting about it but I'm glad you reminded me. Added.

Keep 'em coming, guys. Though it seems Arma is my best bet for what I'm looking for. I am looking for a tactical FPS more than anything but I welcome anything tactical, as has been recommended in this thread.

Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star & Mius Front. They are battalion level

graw and graw 2 were GOAT online. not sure about versus since i almost always stick to co-op. stopped playing a long time ago and idk if anyone is still online anymore.

EDIT didnt want to erase anything i wrote. went to ghostrecon.net and graw is as dead as the miiverse.

Is there some way to play the 360 version without me digging out my 360? My disc got fucked up so I was wondering how easy it would to pirate it, is it as simple as burning an iso to a disc?

Good if Sudden Strike is a RTS then please explain to me how the MCV/Base Building mechanic works in this game.

Man, those custom 1:1 sized maps taking place in Berlin were even more brutal in that regard.

Flashpoint was a great idea but the game series always has the same problem
Nice "war".

I have to second this. No other game makes fighting for progress so slow and costly as sudden strike.

Are there any FPSes you can think of that do this, though? The only ones really named so far were RO and GRAW.

I don't think there is a single game where you are actually part of a huge organized army offensive. Even the arma campaigns always stay at platoon size level.

i just mean a game that does "military base/tower" in all those open world FPSes right. like far cry. the game in OP i mention is pretty unique though i guess, it's an RPG/FPS hybrid with an open world a la far cry but apparently the bases really feel like well-defended bases. its just chockful of russian jank like you'd expect

The main issue with OPFOR as it is with ARMA series has always been the AI coupled with the clunky movement and controls. If they ever solve those problems it would be great

Tried this last year when some other user recommended it.
Honestly fun

Try Brothers in Arms and Full Spectrum Warrior.

Reminder that Mare Nostrum > Darkest Hour.

Anything > darkest hour post 29th coup.

Any clan with 29th in the game is always cancer no matter the game.

It's a feature user, how else are they going to become the CoD killer?

Based on the Steel Fury engine too so plenty of tank autism.

In Arma 3 the first person model is very close to the third person model, but it is slightly different, which becomes more noticeable when you ADS. The point of aim also does shift around the screen quite a bit due to weapon sway, and also from recoil. The hash marks if you're the kind of fag that uses them are a pretty accurate representation of the recoil spread. Always keep in mind though that almost every weapon in the game is more precise than you are accurate, at least out to about 500m or so.

It's going to be really hard to find a meat grinder like you want, most Arma 3 groups go for a modern combat feel, which is a lot more about maneuvering and small squad tactics than throwing bodies into the grinder. Look for groups using Iron Front and the various other WWII mods which are honestly pretty great, those tend to be a bit closer to what you're looking for.

Joint Ops with Holla Forumsmod

3.0 never ever

I want sci-fi tacti/k/ool games to make a comeback.

Interstellar Marines will never be good

It won't We need more Republic Commando, and Aliens: Colonial Marines Overhaul

Republic Commando with BiA style suppression and cover would be nice.