Self Inflicted Harm, or how companies manage to destroy their own games

One thing that is becoming more common is the fact that companies have been shooting themselves in the head in spectacular ways like never before.
I wonder what could have been causing this massive clusterfuck of bad decisions? Why it is becoming so commonplace, even for veteran studios and developers? Is it because companies became too big? Or because developers ego took the best of them?
Some recent cases:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/uYecqiuu
cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf
archive.is/W9hZi
epicgames.com/paragon/en-US/news/paragon-to-close-on-april-26?lang=en-US
ukitakumuki.deviantart.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivendi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnaud_de_Puyfontaine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Kotick
archive.is/sUsAT
archive.is/0Al1r
archive.is/0IPO4
archive.is/u82Bq
archive.is/CqTuL
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bornstein
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Sher
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Morhaime
archive.is/rjwPP
archive.is/aBbbD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not hard to ruin a game/game company.
Just churn out shit that "makes a statement" or was "committee-designed" instead of something that is fun to play and let everything grow around it.

What surprises me is how common it is becoming. These are multi-million dollar games that really can't get out of the ground. One other thing I forgot to add is that most of them are focuses on online communities and gameplay. Maybe that could also be the problem.

I have a really bad feeling video games years from now are all going to come from a single company that just operates via a dozen or so subsidiaries and they're using what can essentially be called controlled opposition to achieve this.

Companies generally start trying new things when profits stop growing. My guess is that things were doing good but the suits decided that they could do a bit extra to please investors, so they look at stuff that's currently popular and makes money and think "This thing is working for these people, why can't it work for me?". So we have games stepping on their toes trying to get an audience that isn't really there or is already playing a different game, more invasive microtransactions and lootboxes, overblown marketing budgets on games that won't deliver on the hype, shorter development times, etc.

We can all pretty much agree that suits, managers who run shit are just faking their abilities and games have exposed it.
Which begs the question, how much is everything else fucked since (((managers))) are in every bigger company on the planet?

What other end state was more probable, user? This happened before in the 70s when companies who made games back then, got so big for their britches, they forgot what made them industry giants (good games and in-home hardware) to chase the largest avenues of profit.
How is then different from now, really? The actors have changed but the play remains the same. Games had another surge in popularity, companies sprouted up and then consolidated, the directive changed from making games to making money.
Instead of shovelware we have socialware. Games designed to be picked up by unsuspecting users of social media. Mobile games are today's equivalent by far. Games designed to make money through transactions and advertisements. The singular and only reason big-budget triple-A games are still produced is because of franchise name recognition. Everyone and their mother knows that modern day triple-A games aren't for profit but for when the studio needs to show its backers why they should invest. That's why big budget games are made. The real money comes in from DLC and micro-transactions.
Games can no longer turn a profit simply by themselves. Production values are inched to higher and higher standards by corporate suits because whatever is put out needs to look shiner than the other guys' product, or else the backerbux don't come in.
I am going to question how you haven't already been made aware of this or have come to this conclusion yourself. At least for the past 8 years this was palpable in the air but the last 3 have really hammered home the reality of it.

MvC is the one that hurts my soul the most. They turned a fun IP into an advert for shitty kiddie films.

5 words:
Appeal to a broader audience
or if you want the short version
←——

NO EXCEPTIONS

What were they thinking? I'm still baffled as to how they committed enough fuck ups to make Marvel vs motherfucking Capcom flop.

Well, making the game your audience wants or you think your audience wants, instead of the game you want to make is always a surefire way to vidya suicide.

Same shit has been going on with movies for much longer.

I'm a simple man all I wanted was Rogue's ass in 3D.

In America that's called a monopoly and the government is supposed to come in and break it up. Of course the shattering of Standard Oil and Bell wasn't very successful as both times the smaller companies simply reformed into a handful of regional companies instead. It would be better if it went the way of U.S. steel instead.

That's wrong though. Giving developers full control over their games will often lead to unplayable, shit games.

I think a big factor in this trend is ego. It feels like a lot of the higher-ups get the idea that they're truly special and can do no wrong, so they refuse to listen to underlings who might be offering up some constructive criticism. You see this with Randy Pitchford whose ego exploded after Blands somehow became successful, and then Stillborn dropped and literally nobody cared. Or Cliffy "Cuck" B, who shat out Lawbreakers into a crowded market and offered nothing special, but believed that he was the second coming of video game Jesus and that anyone who pointed out that it wasn't all that great was just being a hater.

Or for an example I can speak longer about, Destiny 2. For some reason, Luke Smith (the newly promoted director of the game) decided that what Destiny really needed to be was a "balanced" competitive shooter, when PVP really didn't make up more than half of the game, if that. I mean, anyone who's played a game with PVE and PVP modes knows the problems that arise with trying to keep things balanced between the two, something that cursed Destiny 1 over the course of its existence, with much of the game's tweaks being done in relation to the Trials of Osiris "competitive" PVP. The solution for D2 was basically to nerf gun damage so that players would take longer to kill each other, nerf super and ability regen so you couldn't use them constantly, and move almost all of the cool and interesting weapons to one slot with very limited ammo so that you couldn't go running around with snipers or shotguns all the time. On top of that, they also removed random rolls on guns in order to limit the total variability in PVP, changed subclasses to only have two fixed perk trees instead of a wide variety of perks to customize at will, and hampered players' mobility and health regen (especially if you play a hunter, no regen for you). And that's without going into the myriad other issues the game has content-wise.

The overall result has been catastrophic, with just about everyone agreeing that these changes were horribly thought out and should never have been executed, and the community of the game continuing its outrage at Bungie. Ironically, the PVP isn't even all that competitive, with the meta being completely stagnant since release and every match boiling down to teams pecking at each other from a distance, without the crazy plays that made D1 PVP interesting. Even one of these major reworks would have shaken up the game considerably, but for all of them to be implemented at once? I mean, I'm sure someone at Bungie stood up at some point and said "y'know, this is pretty stupid, we shouldn't do this," but I'm also pretty sure that nobody higher up bothered listening. It also doesn't help that they don't put any of these things out for public testing, except for that single week beta where you could barely test anything at all.

Like I said, I think a lot of it boils down to ego. When you think you're hot shit, you refuse to listen to criticism, even if that criticism boils down to "hey, maybe you shouldn't drive over that cliff."

You wouldn't get fun-loving "tries to stay positive despite her affliction" cowgirl Rogue, though You'd get broody evil man-hating feminist she-bitch Rogue.

And the game is absolute garbage anyways so it's really for the best that she's not in it Dodged a bullet.

It's what happens when out-of-touch marketers meet investors who want a good return on their investment.
Games were better back in the day because the investors were just throwing shit at the wall and taking notes on what stuck instead of listening to marketers as though they were the fucking Oracle of Delphi.

Worst part is, Destiny 1 barely had any interesting skills in the subclass skill trees. Only fun things I remember are the shoulder bash on the titan, and the dodge roll on the hunter, everything else was pretty boring, but they somehow managed to make it even worse in D2. But I'm glad D2 imploded and is currently dying at light speed.

It is simple. Usually even developers who made good game don't know what makes them good game. Nobody knows. It is pure luck. Really. Look if people are actually knew what are they doing every game would be good, new super hit games would be made every day. But in reality 99% of new games is trash and once in a while we see new stars. There is no theory of good games.

Even worse developers don't' understand this too. That it is was luck and don't keep what they got because they don't see this value mistakenly thinking they are so smart they can fire up starts at will.

Tribes Ascend.

This is because of the previous progress. The more games we have the more difficult to invent something new not something players already played.

This is only real way to make money because of the piracy.

It's funny you'd say that because i played a bit of destiny 2 at a mate's house and i've got to tell, the boring treadmill mmo bullshit? sure that i understand, it's like warframe. I think it's shit but i understand what some normalfags with no taste might like about it.
The pvp however? how the fuck can anyone enjoy that? it's fucking garbage, you're better off with whatever is the latest call of duty or something. I was shocked at how shit it was and i can't believe people spend time in it

I'd post the webm if I had it. What happened to the music industry is what's been in the gaming industry for ages.

But at least in D1, you could create your own custom builds with those perks. Some were more interesting than others, sure, but you controlled how your character was built. That's completely gone in D2.

For comparison:

The biggest problem with the PVP was their consolidation of everything into 4v4 and two playlists: quickplay (clash, control, supremacy) and competitive (survival, countdown). Not only did this axe many of the game modes from D1, it also removed the free-for-all gametype and the larger team games as well. 4v4 for everything just isn't that much fun.

If you want more proof of how bad their "competitive" changes were, the Trials gametype (the "ultimate" competitive mode) has consistently hit record lows week after week, even when including Trials in D1. It's gotten to the point where teams will end up rematching each other because the game can't find enough teams to ensure a unique match every time. So much for competitive, I guess.

This answer is 99% right and the closest thing we'll ever get to the truth about what's going on. Personally, I also have an addendum to it:
(((suits))) have always existed and have always, FUCKING ALWAYS tried to shove things into and out of the games. Back when Sonic happened and someone finally beat those pesky nips at their own game even via western marketing, everyone and their grandmothers wanted to create another mascot-platformer with their own movement gimmick. When the first Cowadoody demonstrated that a game made entirely of set pieces can be immensely entertaining, suits scrambled to get people on board with similar titles. When the ill-conceived Chest-High-Walls were shoved in vidya, no one stopped and thought about their original design choice and whether it was that good to begin with, they knew people were buying games with it and concentrated their efforts on creating more of the same.
BUT
In every pre 2007 good game with original content, the developers behind ACTIVELY FOUGHT THE SUITS TO GET THEIR SHIT APPROVED OR KEPT IN OR REMOVED. Naughty Dog threatened to leave the project if they couldn't get Crash his original name; Wario Ware was developed in secret, because the devs knew their higher ups would have never approved its release if they didn't have an already finished title; fucking Donkey Kong happened because Shiggy was too much of a Popeye lover to let his fan wank go to waste due to superfluous reasons such as "copyright infringement". Of course this could also be because of how big dev teams and marketing teams are right now compared to even five to ten years ago, but pahjeets, dysfunctional nips, liberal art graduates from Cally and "i wanna gwow up to make bidiagames" tier shmucks have absolutely nothing against oldschool hobbyists, autistic slavs and the otaku samurai warriors. When Cave Story came out, Pixel really fucking wanted it to exist. When Mass Effect Andromeda came out, the kike writers really wanted their paycheck and recognition.

I never played this game but I could tell from the people who've posted about it and mp4 related that the vidya world lost something great when it fell

I skim the Siege threads occasionally, and from what I see people are getting fed up with the game. The grind wall gets bigger if you don't want to pay through the nose, and even if you do buy the newest operators at release, the tone of the game has shifted from an exaggerated but believable adaptation of military equipment to an opinionated alt chick with dyed green hair and a fanfiction background.
She's Polish, too, which insults me on a personal level.

The balance is also apparently fucked because they're designing it around statistical averages of the entire playerbase, rather than people who are actually good enough to play at a level where balance decisions affect them rather than being atomized by gunfire from all angles.

I don't mean to split hairs, but we already know what this is: an expansion pack. Make a game and ship it, then start work on a small expansion during the month or two you have while it's being pressed to disc and distributed. A few months after launch, the studio announces the expansion (priced reasonably). Interest is renewed for people who haven't bought it, and players who have finished it are another potential income source.

When it was in beta it was fucking amazing. Then they capped your speed in A GAME ABOUT GOING FUCKING FAST and started adding shitty cash shop weapons that were so much better than the starting weapons you might as well have just bent over when some faggot with more money than sense came along.

Plenty of developers know how to make games that people will buy and enjoy. It isn't difficult to make a 7/10 or 8/10 game. Start with a solid base and develop it further. The reason most games are trash is that they are worse versions of something that already exists.

All this time after, and it still hurts.

Remember when scrambler was a thing?
Remember when the jackal came out in that stupid cloak and dagger update?
I fucking bought that shit,beginning of the end.

It just now dawned on me that I've seen Psylocke's vagánia.

It's a combination of factors. There's the fact that companies keep insisting on adding in SJW bullshit instead of trying to just make games fun, or innovate new mechanics that would capture the interest of players. These companies don't seem to realize just how badly social signalling alone hurts them when trying to market to their actual customers, not to mention how terribly games that have been SJW driven do. There's also the fact that many of the new devs coming out of game dev schools would rather push their ideology rather than just make games for the love of games and keeping politics out. I don't know why but many seem to be better at social signalling rather than developing games, take Bethesdas AI programmer for Fallout 3 to Fallout 4. I should add that due to the SJW infestation in Journalist outfits, HR sections, Marketing deparments and other places, smaller companies that don't have the reach of a triple A company can be stonewalled or beaten to death if they don't toe the SJW line, at least until recently, now that vidya is trying to push back against SJWs, ergo Vavra I think that's his name who's the lead dev of Kingdom Come:Deliverance. It could also be many of these devs lose their balls at the possible lost profits of pissing off SJWs.

Then there's the fact that many corps and companies are forcing devs to work themselves to death, like the wife of an EA dev who wrote that massive blogpost about how he's forced to work 18 hr days every day for months or even years. It wears you down, and quality drops off significantly as a result, as well as the desire to add in more, not to mention that the companies want to maximize profits while doing the least amount of work, combined with cutting out content to sell to you piecemeal, the games are now even smaller as a result. I don't doubt that companies force the devs to add in the SJW shit as well, either because they're ideologues, culture corruptors or were tricked by marketers and HR idiots that appealing to the SJW crowd will tap into an untapped market, despite previous games failures seem to imply SJWs largely don't buy games, they just bitch about them.

The market is also horribly saturated with so many people trying to be devs, there's too many devs and not enough work, on top of that, devs don't have unions as well as the laws in vidya and vidya business lagging behind. so far as I know, so corporate vultures like EA and Activision can abuse devs and developers as much as they like.

There's no doubt more, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

This.
The sooner games become a completely free entertainment medium, the better.
As it was done to the music industry, and now the movie industry, games must be taken away from the hands of useless suits who only want profit and not quality.

I'll give you reasons why these failed.

DOA, the multiplayer shooter market was already shifted towards Overwatch and they designed it exactly the same with the same design strategy only a short while after Overwatch had become popular. Dead on fucking arrival.

General shafting in the budget and staff department, casualization wasn't the main reason it tanked. The game's clearly a downgrade from the stylized MvC3, which had loads of crazy graphics, and this game peels all that back and fucked up hard on animations for attacks so none of it has a feel or impact.

The fact that i've never heard of it is DOA. No marketing that reached the public eye, anything else after that is unknown, someone spot me if you care on this.

Did more of the same, but worse, which is REALLY hard to do considering how much of a gacha Borderlands fuckup Destiny 1 was.

Casualization, lost fans because they censored ass and titties, and were basically slaves to the competitive crowd who are only "good" at playing video games for money and can't design them for shit. On top of that they switched to a cancerous DLC model and the game itself was downsized compared to the original version of SF4 at launch.

Sequel adherence syndrome, none of the original team is there and no one was experienced with making it, and they cut out a lot of personality in the psychopaths and spent nothing on the entertaining boss cutscenes that gave context to each boss' character. Bigger was not better and instead of building better mechanics they added onto flawed ones that could use a refreshing change into it's own game. It's the reason each final fantasy had differences in combat game to game, but never lost the genre until they went full retard with FF15, which is actually only SLIGHTLY better then Dead Rising 4.

There, added some help understanding this shit.

I think the problem is the desire to chase the Western (read: CoD/WoW/GTA/Madden) market. It's what killed Devil May Cry and Castlevania, and it's what's killing Monster Hunter now with World.

What killed DmC was that it was outsourced to a bunch of brittish faggots who hated the original anime-ish aesthetics of the francise, so they redesigned it to look good in their own opinion and in turn caused a PR shitstorm that could have easily been avoided.

I personally think the reason that happened was because Ubisoft didn't give a fuck about Siege at the start. I'm sure they were expecting it to die while they were doubling down on Division and Wildlands. But Wildlands sucked and Division took too long to actually become fuckin playable while Siege got updates that improved it along with keeping a steady playerbase.

Now they're doubling down on Siege and what do we get? Fanfic-tier backstories for operators, obvious cute girl bait designs and a god damn zombies mode coming.

Current year Marvel + current year Capcom. When you consider that it's really a wonder that they didn't manage to fuck up twice as bad.

But it looked good. Art design was the one of the only good things about the reboot.

Not even close to reality, especially when 1/2-3/4 of the budgets are spent on marketing
This is such a baffling take on obvious bullshit rationalizations for sticking their hand in your wallet I have to wonder if you're an actual honest to God shill

for what purpose

Normalfag websites still don't support webm for "extra long animated picture", or anything whatsoever. The only place you could see this is imageboards and twitter.

Well that's just like your opinion. Here's what an actual trap has to say:

The industry you see before you is what happens when something gets run by suits and marketers.
Don't let them fool you: they have no fucking idea what they're doing nor do they understand what's popular.

It's the jews, dummy. They're the CEOs of most companies, they're 90% of higher-ups all across the boards, all they care about is making quick buck and being glorified sandniggers they can't make good decisions for shit. Being a cut-throat scumbag works pretty well if success is defined by your ability to walk on people's heads, not so much if you have to actually deliver a high quality product.

If dead rising 4 was actually adhering closely to the series's formula we would have gotten something that is playable and not throwaway garbage.

I always turned the voice off when I watched Bailey's videos because I thought he would sound manly and ruin everything. The voice is honestly better than what I expected

Ugh

See, this is objectively wrong because most pros complain about the things the game is lacking that MAKE it a good game. Hell the only reason the faggots even play the game is BECAUSE it pays. They bitch about it all the while. ( Funny enough, no esports "pro tour" shit for MVCI is why even the shills let the game die, so that goes to show that without the money there, they wouldn't even play SF5. ) The reason SF5 is shit is because it's made as a mass consumption spectator sport with a 100% esport focus for knuckledragging faggots to watch and go "DURR, I COULD BE THAT GUY ONE DAY IF I BUY THIS GAME!", paired up with the low bar for entry and execution that makes brainless rushdown friendly gameplay the very core of the game.

It's the same fucking shit Blizzard did with Overwatch. Designed a fucking game from the ground up to be a money printing, soulless vessel to push the esports scene and capitalize on idiots paying money for 'virtual tickets' to 'leagues' and rooting for teams like it's some kind of fucking sportsball event.

EU had financed a 300 page piracy report and then shut it down becasue turned out piracy doesn't impacts profits.

Turn off the video too. He is grotesque ugly.

It seems to be just capcom being retarded for the most part.

Who the fuck thought a Nerf Ballzooka looked badass?

The same people that thought Bandit/Scav guns looked good being red hunks of metal and nothing else.

I don't even think it's optimized.

But how the fuck you will end with worse version of already made? Its is very simple as you say, start with solid base you already ahve and add good stuff, don't add bad. But here is the problem nobody knows what is good or bad on fundamental level, there is no theory of the game. So they add bad staff thinking it good because they don't the difference.

Lets start abstract above anything and go to barebone basics of game mechanics. "What size of characters would be? What his speed relative to size? What radial and linear acceleration character should achieve? What size of game area comparing to the size and speed of character?" 99% of developers would be like: "WTF are you talking about? We were thinking about should it be a pirate or a ninja, give him a sword or a gun? Acill…Acceleration? What does this word even means?" See. Fundamentals of gameplay, how are they determined? What size and speed is good, what is bad? Obviously there is unplayable values and optimum (or optimums) probably exist too. ("no-no-no Bigger is always better! mine is bigger than yours!") So what numbers? Ooops. Nobody knows, there is no theory of that, developers are completely blind here, they are just poking with stick in dark. These numbers appear from nowhere, just assembled by random process, some coder monkey who does physics code writes in random numbers from the top of his head (most probably numbers he had in his previous works) and this is how actual gameplay, what defines the game, is born.

The majority of reliable studies on this topic have turned up with no real evidence that piracy affects various industries negatively.
Piracy is a boogeyman that companies chase.

Most studies show that pirates either truly cannot afford shit, or they buy more media than anybody else in their income brackets.

Minimum wage in the eastern europe is around 500 euros. Do you really think these people can afford 60 dollars for a game?

Tell this to Riot and Wargaming who roll in the gold. Small indie companies scoring jackpot without AAA resources. Do you think they would be able to extract same amount of money from their crowd if their games could be pirated from russian trackers?

Have you ignored what I just said or are you b8ing?
It can be hard to tell these days.

You're trying to tell me that they had plenty of control in the first installment of whichever series we're might be using as an example but then "magically" they somehow don't?
That's not how it works faggot
Either they had control and then gave it up compromising their vision at the promise of $$$money$$$ or they never had any to begin with and only by pure coincidence every single first title in any series ends up being the most innovative and occasionaly flawed of the bunch somehow with every sequel becoming blander and blander more safe,casualised tripe the longer it persists

So only buy indie games and shun people for buying the latest shit game.

Company of heroes 2 was the biggest example of ruining a game for me. It could have been amazing but it's utter trash

What's that?

The silly term for cover in cover-based shooters. How the fuck do you not know this?

They were no ill-conceived. This was keen design to circumvent glaring deficiency of gamepads in the aiming ability. 3-rd person cover based shooter is what really made shooters rolling on consoles for general crowd. Try to invent another mechanics that allows player in combat to stand still and aim at stationary target 5 seconds and you will see genius of Chest-High-Walls.

Wait that's a GUY?

I have never heard of this game, was it really hyped up at all? because this is the first time I ever heard about it. on this particular example I daresay they didn't do enough marketing.

Link?

That game is one of the most amazing disasters I've ever witness.
Imagine a game that is not inherently bad. It have creative designs, good art and sound direction, and satisfying gameplay, with each character really being different. It even have a cool lore to go with it.
Now imagine throw it all into the garbage for the most aggressive and absurd progression and monetization schemes ever conceived in gaming.
It is one of the most insane schemes to get money I've ever seen.

Seems like the embed failed. Here is the video.

what the hell are you on about?it works just fine

I'm in awe at the sheer Judea.

Are you east Asian?

All of these series were so good. All of these series hooked me, because I truly cared for their original ideas and wanted to see their creators visions come true. I am pissed that we will never know anything new about the origina SH cast anymore. I am pissed that we didn't get a proper ending to MGS. I am so fucking angry that we won't be seeing original Dante anymore. And I am pissed that I had to read the ending to HL3 in a motherfucking pastebin. Why did you create these wonderful things, only to fucking kill them so ruthlessly in front of our eyes?

I bet 90% of vidya devs make horrible parents.

Lurk Moar and kys.

What fucking committee thought a fucking speed cap was a good idea?

Pretty much

Wasn't SFV mostly because of pressure from Sony to shit out a product quickly though?

Couple of reasons, but I think the biggest is that publishers have way too much control over the game development process. It's a bunch of suits who are pushing products they don't give a shit about. It's not just that they don't understand the market they're selling into, they don't WANT to give a shit about it. They sit on top of stacks and stacks of focus group testing that tests the wrong people and analysis of market trends written by retards from clueless consulting firms.
Games used to be better when most developers were independent and staffed by people who wanted to make good games. Most of them were kids in the 70s and 80s and grew up playing lots of board games or making their own campaigns in pen-and-paper RPGs. Now those people have sold their studios and left the industry.

U wot? Did I miss something?

You are gay.

Not even indies are worth spending your money.
Even when a indie studio makes good games, as soon as they get too much money or receive too much praise, they go full greedy/jew and (most of them) also go full marxist.
Never pay for entertainment.
Acquire it for free.

How are they different?

It looks like Killzone + latex + lots of yellow paint.

Do you actually want to know the difference? I don't think you do.

good point.

They had to because the netcode broke above a certain speed. The game was shit from the ground up and anyone who didn't see that immediately after 5 minutes in the beta is a retard or didn't play Starsiege or T2.

You really hit it on the nose with the jewry going no. I grabbed the demo and actually enjoyed playing the free level co-op and trying out the available heros. After trying the available ones I checked our how to get new ones and i was actually amaxzed.

Two ways to get characters, in game gold, which is earned from playing online. The end of a mission has currency rewards. You pick a reward, except it gets split between everyone who picks that currency. The more people pick it the less everyone gets.

It really really is designed to make you buy their other currency with "micro"transactions

That system doesn't even make sense.
It's like whoever devised it learned about, micro transactions, in-game currencies and how progress happens in video games through a game of telephone.

Shemales are futa and traps are girly boys.

Wasn't there some story about the TQ devs wanting to put more quests in based off actual mythology and the publishers pushing back for various idiotic reasons?

I remember the one about the horrendous boxart being used behind their backs while they made an actually decent one that got scrapped.

Laidlaw leaked story concept for HL3 on his website, someone corrected all the garbled references to their counterparts.
pastebin.com/uYecqiuu

The Mass Effect series has to be one of my favourite examples of this.

I remember that but I don't have the screenshot. They had fleshed out enemies and great AI but then the suits told them that they had to change it because players would feel bad about killing things that had sentience, so they had to scrap a shitton of quests and enemy designs.

After what happened to Everquest I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be sabotage from Blizzard.

Mass Effect was never good.

No it was shit because they hired Combofiend and Combofiend didn't care about the fans of SF he only cared about EVO and he managed to convince Ono to rush out the game for it and screw Street Fighter's long time fans.
Combofiend should just dropped on a desert island with a Tiger games SF2 toy. The man is a walking aids virus.

please stop, it still hurts.
I remember watching the shazbowl.

What a glorious day that was.

Yeah, and most of them are just one-hit wonders anyways. They have no intention of actually becoming a small vidya company and just want to stay on their indie "artist" comfort zone.

I actually looked forward to this. I didn't even pirate it, mind you, but from all the shit I've seen, they will never get my shekels unless they fix their shit which is unlikely.

Why is that hairy grapefruit wearing glasses?

Can I throw SEGA and SONY in this shame too? I know both did a lot of changes or damage to their franchises for pandering the western audience or add things that currently trendy.

Some modern examples:
Sega added moba elements to DoW3 and Sony creating or turning them into Uncharted clones like the new God of War.

This fucking game was made by the same developer that made last year's Metroid: Samus Returns 3DS remake and it's rumored that RotBP was pitched as a sequel to Metroid Prime Hunters with a backup plan to turn it into a new IP if the pitch didn't get picked up by Nintendo.

Those spaniard fucks must give some A class blowjobs what with all of the unwarranted attention and money they get.

Get out, seriously.
If even after all these years of discussion, plenty of first and second hand experiences, and a fucking 300 page study of the fucking EU proving that piracy isn't nearly as bad for the industry as (((they))) say, you still go on about "muh piracy", then you're most probably a shill, or a dumbass. Either way, get the fuck out or lurk more.

If it currently or has ever had a penis, it's gay.

Who in here is saying otherwise?

But what if it looks like a girl?

Because that grapefruit got paid Disney money to shit on Magneto. He bought them from the gift stand in Disney World.

Shit games and anti-consumer practices are what causes low sales and low profit.
When the industry is pushing for lootboxes (aka online extortion), the industry itself is to blame for the low sales of it's products and low income of it's services.

Yes. And the more confortable they are, the worse their products become. And even when they leave it and start to take risks, it won't change the fact that they are pretty much guaranteed to become greedy suits as soon as they get fame and profit.

bump

Hi Bump

They're also the guys behind Lords of Shadow and a game very loved by Holla Forums… Severance: Blade of Darkness

These managers and "suits" would benefit from reading about biology, ecosystems, and something called niche survival strategies. When one guys finds a niche and exploits it you COULD try to copy what he is doing, but that guy is ALREADY doing that. Kind of like if a weasel sees how successful birds are at fishing, so he goes through the effort to grow wings so he can fish too, but what the fuck the pond is ALREADY FULL OF FUCKING BIRDS!

And now you have a weasel with wings that isn't even a good weasel anymore.

But Im giving these people the benefit of the doubt; the truth is that these management types have already found their niche in life. They crawl up into the deepest flaps and folds of the company, hook in their pincers and suck until the company is dead and then move on with a spotless resume.

What? Since when could I not pirate indie games, the only ones that don't get cracked are the

Fuck off.

Here user
cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf

This video shows some interesting stories. If it is correct, plenty of bad stuff was already brewing for more than 15 years.

It was better then what it became at least,you can't deny that
and i'd gladly play an older tribes game if i knew there was an active community for them.

No it fucking wasn't you tard. Ascend threw away every bit of correct physics that was essential to playing Tribes. Disc launcher had barely a tenth of the impulse that T1 had and you were already speed capped compared to T1. Not to mention 0 custom server hosting. Ascend was always a stain on the Tribes legacy even if you fags won't admit it.

OK, this is right into this theme:
WEW
archive.is/W9hZi

Why have this much control over who plays your awful vidya?

Little did I realize that video games were the path to minority report.

It has such an awful title I imagine a lot of people thought it was the same game as the last one.

God damn they fucked it up so hard, I just wish Monolith fucked off WB for good somehow.

They could improve the game's netcode, make more characters, make more levels, add quality of life improvements, more game modes, etc. And this is what they fucking do: Hire more SJWs to scour the Internet for more people to ban.

To think my favorite game of all time is Diablo 2. How could the same devs of Diablo 1 & 2, Starcraft Broodwar and Warcraft 3 go to fucking shit so quickly?

It would be a shame if there were a bunch of bitter jerks that impersonated various Overwatch players and got them banned for posting things on social media.

I mean seriously, this has to be a plan to drive people away from Overwatch so that they can justify shuttering it before they are forced to actually make new content and not just cannibalize things made for Project Titan by people with actual talent.

I would be shocked if a single person who worked on those games, aside from the art asset churn team, was still working at the company.

This. In any form.
This is: Diversity 2, Cuckenstein: Nu Nu. Virtual Boy, Uplay, Windown 10, Beta Max, Communism, circular non-profit tax dodge, Tortanic, Androtanic: Autism edition, the game with the big heads that nobody remembers, and others.

You forgot the single player mode that they delayed the game for that doesn't exist.

Dead by Daylight kicked their ass by releasing earlier and not having most of this tribal shit.
Shame though, I was looking forward to the game.

Good point, user, You're probably right.

Uhuhuhu! Yes, pursue these goyim who paid to play our awful shooter like the cattle their are really meant to be! So they'll have to buy it again and again to keep playing! Milk the goyim dry, that's what (((we))) should be doing!

Shemales are not hermaphrodites.

what game?

Another interesting news:
PARAGON IS GOING TO DIE
epicgames.com/paragon/en-US/news/paragon-to-close-on-april-26?lang=en-US
They will refund playres, but, I wonder why they want to kill it so badly.

They want their employees working on Fortnite because it's what is making them money.

Those first 3 screenshots would leave me to believe this is a Diablo knockoff.

Man those are some fine designs. Original, plausible looking and tight implied sexiness.

A Diablo knockoff would probably have been better than what they actually made.

They already have most of the developers there. And while Paragon was not exploding, it had a established, even if small community.
Unreal can't keep two online games alive? Even Capcom can do it.

Revolution 60, if I had to guess.

You have my respect for typing while blind.

I actually really liked the Countess design.

Let me rephrase, since I'm seeing

That military scout one melts my heart.

When it comes to triple A, why do so many of you idiots think it's the developers fault? Unless they're self-published it's almost always a case of the investors trying to kike as much money out of as many people as possible.

Shouldn't have sold the studio then!
Shouldn't have gotten a publisher then!
Shouldn't have investors then!
Shouldn't have spineless CEO's then!

Why am I so angry?

Cause you have no power or authority in real life.

Excellent dexterity on that heart stab.

I with the game could have used some of those UC2 designs. It would fit and it would be great.

Well, if you make your game, you will have power over it. At least there is that.

The painful part is that the technical competency of the work put into the characters cannot be denied. There were some talented artists there, carefully building these models at the service of a shit game that no one would play. Imagine being capable and doing your best and still end up jobless because there was no judgement behind the game design.

For me it was archeage. Game had great concepts and mechanics, and it could have been great, but the company got way too greedy and it died.

What's a girly boy?

They also stopped development to make a new game, while not finishing Friday The 13th. And they were kickstarted to pay for this.

That was made by blizzard north, not nu-blizzard. They were an outside team that was aquired by blizzard. One of the main devs did a developer talk about it.

I think that would work as being paid to build a portfolio. As you said, there is no denying these models look very polished. If you want to hire and artist, and see those works, will know how competent that person can be.
But I still think this is quite amazing from Epic's part. There was a huge amount of work and some good money put into this game just to trash it ans give people their money back. I wonder what are they really planing.

It looks like they're grasping at straws trying to jump on the current bandwagon. Hero arenas are kill, so they'll surely try a battle royale thing.

I wonder if Terra has silly Space Marine proportions under that armor

Fat body, skinny head.

It's the gamers' fault. Companies are right to exploit retards with the lowest quality product they can get away with and they still turn over big millions of profit. I love seeing retards defend garbage fueled by implicit buyer's remorse, it's so fucking funny. Gamers are cucks and they deserve what is happening to them. At no point did they consider not buying a shitty game, so now they have to live in the shit fort they funded themselves with their own money. I can't wait until all games become episiodic or statement games and gamers, the cucks that they are, will still buy those en masse.

TBF Tribes 2 was broken in all of its own ways.

Futa doesn't always = hermaphrodites

Biological male with female characteristics.

The AAA industry makes shit games because they shifted from first weekend dependent sales to "prolonged" profits, so instead of making a mediocre but competent games they now push out a husk of an engine with half-assed assets and truckloads of gacha bullshit on top.
No gameplay, just profit.

You have shit taste and I'm happy this shitty game I've never heard of is failing.

I think Unreal already answered that. She would be huge inside that armor.

wtf

Product-oriented people like engineers don't get promoted to management positions. Money-oriented and marketing-oriented people do.
Money and marketing people don't have a fucking clue what makes a product good or why anybody would want it, and they don't even know how to care about that. All they care about is selling whatever basic easy-to-market shit they whip their employees into making.

They would, of course, offer a full refund when they ban you for arbitrary reasons, right?

Refund? What's that?

Sometimes people don't want to succeeded and just want to push their agenda using other people's money.

What the fuck?

Welcome to Disney's Soy Wars.

As if i didn't feel like shit enough today,here comes this.

i wanna dye

I didn't think it was possible for a book (or series, in this case) to offend and disgust me as this has.

Payday series was like a fucking rollercoaster. Support is ending this year, or maybe next year, so we'll see how they fuck up their new stuff.

It gets worse when you read the first book's synopsis.

This might be an argument for censorship.

This is fetish writing, isn't it?

Call me whatever flavor of the week insult you like,but the recent updates have been nice in my opinion.

You are a Tofu Titsboy.

Thanks,that actually gave me a snort in my sad day.

Kind of agreed, the upcoming difficulty changes are whack though

copious amounts of dick

No one cares, they killed the game a long time ago and everyone got it out of their system. Enjoy your shit taste in private.

I've never heard this guy's voice, but boy he sounds just as expected.
Literally the Rick & Morty of videogames, any other game is more offensive including Mario games.

TRUMP WON WE LOST NO REFUNDS

Tribes can die in a fire.

it's kindof sad seeing the many games that hired talented artists and put it to waste.
like Planetside 2 hired ukitakumuki.deviantart.com but butchered his concept work in model.

Actually it does, that's why they have a seperare word for shemales, Newhalf. Futanari literally means "to be of two kinds" in Japanese you twat.

Kill yourself sodomite

Is that from that kids oriented nu-SW book by Ben Acker and Ben Blacker or that is from a serious (and now canon) nu-SW novel?

The mosquito looks the same.

Galaxy change is bigger wings and different turret placements.

Lightning is different turret

They really should have stopped with Starseige Tribes and gone back to Mecha simulation as ST was perfect.

First game had good concepts of not being a Battlefield or Call of Duty fuckfest with you having to coordinate real carefully with your entire army, sequel was a mess of ideas.

Chuck Soyboy is Jimmy Neutron's father.

Rather it is an argument for cleansing fire.

Man watching that video makes me want to play it again.

Global Agenda was better

easy example

I wanna know what this is from, but only if it has more stupid dialogue like that.

Jews Who else?
(((Vivendi)))
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivendi
Vivendi CEO
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnaud_de_Puyfontaine

(((Activision Blizzard)))
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard
CEO of Activision-Blizzard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Kotick
archive.is/sUsAT
archive.is/0Al1r
archive.is/0IPO4
kike wife and former husband
archive.is/u82Bq
>kotick jewish genealogy
archive.is/CqTuL
Blizzard Media Networks Division Head
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bornstein
Former ABC and ESPN kike
Co-President of Activision Blizzard Studios film subsidiary
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Sher
Dated Quintin Cuckintino, kikesss

(((Blizzard Entertainment)))
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment
Blizzard Entertainment President, CEO, AND Co-Founder
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Morhaime
archive.is/rjwPP

(((Activision)))
=CEO of Activision==
archive.is/aBbbD
Eric Hirshberg claims that vidya are brands, not products in other interviews, pretty jewish if you ask me.

You can keep going all day if you get into all the little subsidiaries and developers. I don't have any info on their stockholders but I'd be willing to bet that more are involved just like in the mass media.

This sounds like another Evolve just waiting to happen.

We should make these for every major company.

MvCi looks like it was made by a different company, what the fuck happned?

Capcom believed a chink agent and neutered their own development staff and relations with Japanese contractors just to placate western developers who were all going to abandon them anyway. This is actually the first time they developed a fighting game fully in house in over a decade and a half.