Oligocene Snapshot

I spent the last two weeks making a game with a couple of friends for a game jam.

It plays like a modern Pokemon Snap, where you take pictures on a rail and then pick the best ones to get the best scores.

If you stream on twitch or have some lads on IRC you can hook it up to that and have them try and make beating the game a little harder by having them put stupid shit in front of your camera.

I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on it yet so it'd be nice to know what some anons think.

Site: ejew.in/games/oligocene-snapshot/
MEGA mirror: mega.nz/#!xV13lRgY!D9BNxlDwe75VI6w7gZtp6mLS0y0BV9BXn6pBIEDID7k

Other urls found in this thread:

frog.tips/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

looks interesting, kudos to actually finishing a product

who said it was finished?

I did, therefore it is so.

It could use more content but the game is feature complete.

I did most the code and gluing things together, but all the levels, creature variety, and scripted events are what people come to see so expansion has very little work I can do directly.

This is nice for a two week project. Congrats dude, something to be proud of.

Taking pictures of strange, creatively designed creatures is so 90s. If you want people to care about it, then replace all the ugly monsters with cute monster girls. I refuse to even look at it until you do.

it might actually be medicine for the soul

Isn't that just gal gun?

This is… This is actually a really fucking good idea. If you avoid any creepshot vibes and make it so you're surprising random girls with really flattering photographs this could be one of the best-feeling games I'd have played in a long, long time.

I can imagine their smiles when you hand them the photos you took. Fuck. Maybe your score is based off what the woman thinks of the photo you took of her rather than some overarching general criteria, so you have to take different kinds of photos for different kinds of women with visual clues as to their personality and what they'd like.

It might even cure my depression.

A pretty decent pokemon snap game, if this was a complete game it would probably do well on steam as a sellable product.

Here's a little Ymir and she loves you.

Fuck off all of you, even you OP.

OP is supposed to be the faggot here, not you.

Really nice idea OP, the only thing that I feel weird about it is the part about algorithmically determining what is and isn't a good picture. I felt the same way about Pokemon Snap but since the games seem to be in the context of scientific research where there could conceivably be objectively better photos I suppose it makes sense. The lures and bait are cool, I think complex interactions with the items and rare or hard to photo monsters are what would make it most compelling.

The worst part is the literal fucking title of the game and the thread tells you they're just wild animals and you think they're some kind of monster while calling us the retards.

What, you think OP's put some kind of love and worldbuilding into the theme of his two-week framework of a game? It's literally just placeholder mammals. He could make a real seller out of this if he took a different direction with what he's got here and the placeholder graphics aren't exactly part of the appeal here.

What if some of the pics were evidence of wacky shit like Bigfoot or ayyliums, letting you take different tracks to try and solve mysteries and shit.

And if you'd look at the pics those aren't any kind of animal that was in the oligocene you nigger.

I was only halfheartedly shitposting, I actually expected everyone to tell me to fuck off
Although I did realize quite a while ago that there's a real untapped market for something like that.

Oh,you're an expert?

I half suspected you were, but then everyone hopped on board your shitpost.

Tell me what kind of animal the pikachu with the face of a balding middle aged man is, or what the scientific name of a grumpy round is.

no no,i asked,are you somebody who is familiar with the oligocene period or not?

I'm fairly familiar with general life history. What's your point?

Was just wondering if you knew your shit or not.

Just fuck already.

While there's a placeholder frog and a pikachu reskin there, there's also a very clear model of a motherfucking eobasileus or a brontothere in two of those images. What the fuck are you talking about?

You really don't need to know if you just look at the pics. Devitochu is a creature that has never and will probably never exist on this planet.

Only if he asks nicely and takes me to dinner.

I did some research on Pokemon Snap's scoring and the basic parameters are all geared towards rewarding the best framed shots (size, being centered) and observation (multiple animals in frame, observing group behavior, unique poses that haven't been documented).

We have some basic interaction with apples, but for a fuller experience I am still trying to come up with a way for the projectiles to be more dynamic than keys to a very particular type of puzzle.

The grumpy round is modeled after the Breviceps Fuscus, which is not an oligocene animal.

The Rhinotherous is based off the Uintatherium.

The Pachyderm is based off the Pyrotherium.

"Holy Shit" is based off the Pristerognathus.

Danny DeVitochu made his appearance because the artist asked nicely. We can only hope that after years of hard work geneticists will make this abomination a reality. He exists solely for the professor to have a violent reaction to seeing.

Who says they are placeholder? I thought OP was just putting in whatever he thought was cool, real or not.

YOU MOTHERFUCKER IT'S EOBASILEUS

IT'S EOBASILEUS DON'T YOU IGNORE ME GOD FUCKING DAMN IT IT'S CALLED EOBASILEUS

TOLD

Faggot, two of them he said himself are not oligocene creatures.

Three out of four, bitch.

2/5, and everything else he said is "based off" an existing creature.

This is fine.

Three out of five are oligocene creatures. It's called fucking Oligocene Snapshot. Bless your soul.

And? What is your fucking point? I called the ones that are monsters monsters. And using your own argument it makes even less sense to make everything little girls.

Suck my fucking dick.

This is actually closer to what the artist ended up using feature-wise because finding correctly attributed drawings of the animals were a little difficult.

It would be harder to find fossils or have any idea of what stuff like frogs could have looked like from the era, but this unhappy motherfucker looks like he has a lot of the same sort of "mutations" from modern animals you might expect.

We also had a Syndyoceras but due to time and the general hurry we weren't able to get it textured to put in level 2.

Do that one elephant with the huge gape mouth. I forgot the name.

The current name has fuck all to do with where they could take this concept, but it sure does dumpster your implication of MonHun Snapshot bullshit. Little girls are for pedophiles and if that's what your mind jumps to when I say woman you might need some serious help.

You're the only monster here, choke to death on oligocene rhinoceros cock

i can only think of a few

What do you expect from weagoons? All the years of playing japanese games and watching anime made them think of only little girls.

Faggot you're the one who got all pissy at me for calling them monsters when some are real animals cause of the name.

Second one here, maybe?

You want something with a really retarded looking mouth (in any sort of interpretation), try this shark.

put the source in the filename you crop-posting faggot

Kill yourself pedo.

yeah that's the one. Also apparently the most accurate helicoprion is the second one, if you are gonna make one.

JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION, GET IN THE CAR

You can't just throw in monster girls and not let me catch them at least, that's unfair.

How does a game like this compute scores based on pictures taken?

Sorry the first video has a huge filesize with no increase in quality, I simply tried something stupid.

It gives a bonus for being the correct size, it tries to make sure the bounding box of the animal is as large as it can be within the frame of the photo. This would be the framing calculation.

It also gives a bonus to having more creatures in the photo – with the multi bonus being based off other creatures. It goes through a lot to do visibility tests on animals that are actually in frame. The pose is arbitrarily assigned.

These own and I definitely need more aquatic creatures for the next set of levels so I will save these to pass along.

Here's the animals that I wanted to get in that didn't get into modeling stage:

unf

Top readme.txt, OP.

I actually like furshit, but those designs look like crap. They look less like anthro pokemon and more like oddly colored THOTs, especially in the facial area.

I remember jerking off to this back in the good old days on /f/

To be fair it's an ancient flash animation, and back then the standards weren't all that high.

fellas, i think i did something wrong

As far as distribution goes, I was thinking that I would roll this into my museum project and put it up on Steam that way. Webm related. It is mostly going to be a collection of my other games I've worked on. It's also meant to house other demos I work on and act as a nexus for getting them in front of people.

I'd feel a lot better giving people everything I worked on so far vs one relatively small game.

I remember an uncensored / hacked version floating around. I really miss the days of people hacking apart old flash files and putting them back together. Now I just hope that they all get archived and we find a way to convert them to html5/js containers with human readable js so we can keep the train rolling.

it looks retarded

You could also flesh it out and put it up by itself. You'd need a lot more animals and more activity during the levels. Is one of your team members a Lisp programmer?

It's good user.

It looks neat but

That's fair.

I don't know any Lisp, the game is in C#. I don't think anyone on the team does lisp. I know Python, Lua, and JS but I've only ever read lisp for digging through stuff like what naughty dog used.

I hear you. It's part "i really need to just delete some shit" and part "sometimes i need them for networking". If it's any consolation I'm about as miserable on those services as anyone could be after having been reminded that they exist.

Sounds like Gekisha Boy. Anons who haven't seen it, I recommend giving it a look, it's pretty amusing, and full of random copyright violations. It's an old PC Engine game too so toaster-friendly.

That's just shooting them full of "happy".

What's wrong with Dilbert?

I just asked because of the inane Lisp joke in the loading screen

Your vibe attracts your tribe. I once made the mistake of signing up on tigSource and ending up collaborating with a rabid SJW, so do consider where you do your networking.
Although, to be honest, I think it's completely legitimate to keep a tumblr and/or twitter page purely to post progress if your goal is to market yourself. Some anons will give you shit for it but nearly every other dev uses those sites to market themselves. Just keep it apolitical and you'll be fine.

Either way, congrats on your successful game jam, man. Keep it up.

Want to make money on this?
Put this overlay on the photo screen and allow for both custom text and procedural generated captions, and replace the dino with memes
search your feelings, you know it to be true

The Impact font thing is dead except maybe on facebook. He'll make himself look like a dumb old man. He should instead add a filter that makes it look like a black person's twitter post.

I don't think it would be a driving feature but a deep fried filter would be more in line with the theme of the rest of the potential instagram styled filters.

These loading screen messages are all dynamically being loaded from frog.tips/ so there are some that I haven't seen just yet.

I can't believe I forgot about this game. It should have been first on my list of games with camera controls to research. Some animals in the game respond to having their photo taken, but I like the idea of having to dizzy actively hostile creatures in order to get better shots.

I think a predictable sort of threat might be more of an annoyance on repeat playthroughs, though.

LIES