God of War (2018) = Walking Simulator?

There have been more story trailers than anything gameplay shown and from the looks of it, its going to focus more on the former than the latter.

hooktube.com/watch?v=K0u_kAWLJOA

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=jvaNHcD-wAM
hooktube.com/watch?v=zriV7vCQees
hooktube.com/watch?v=8_SaSSKutDQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Who was the fucking genius that took a fucking Character action series and decided to reboot it as a pseudo-movie for the TLOU audience?

Isn't there also no nudity in the game?

dark souls is very in right now

This isn't god of war it's some TLOU type skyrim bullshit.

Dad of War looks like it's made to appeal to women. I hope the action is still good.

I rather a GOW Skyrim Clone than TLOU. Skyrim clone god of war would’ve at least had gameplay

Dark Souls isn't a cinematic over-the-shoulder walking simulator, fuck off with your false equivalence.

It was obviously bait, user. Don't fall for it or this place will be filled with more such low tier trolling.

I understand that journos are going to suck this game's dick for showing how "mature" the franchise has become, but who exactly is going to buy it? It still comes across as having too many masculine vibes for the average soyboy.

Fair enough.

But user do you not want vidya to appeal to the broader audience? :^)

Dark Souls had gameplay. This has less than TLOU.

There are plenty of indications that the pacing in this reboot will be rediculously tedious if you don’t care about the story, which is a huge shift from the original titles for the worse.

Not only have many of the trailers we’ve seen focused on story almost exclusively, many of the locations shown having you walking slowly across some huge location, presumably while talking to the kid much of the time. I’m not sure who decided it was a good idea to take the walking sections from Gears of War (which were only there to cover up loading) and make that a core part of the “gameplay.” Which is all the more disappointing considering that the original games had pretty snappy pacing most of the time.

Also, the director made a few really suspect comments at that PS Experience thing a couple months back. First, he said that the game was over 30 hours long, which will definitely sell some copies, but you wonder how much of that length is due to the pace being slowed down. Also, he compared the way the game is structured to “being on a tour bus where occasionally you can get off the bus and explore some.” While that would likely make it the least linear of the series, it really isn’t a good sign when the director of the game compares the main gameplay to an activity that is a totally passive observing experience.

The original God of War titles got a somewhat undeserved reputation for being too focused on “cinematics” probably because of the QTEs, but they seem to be going all in on that direction, which isn’t too surprising considering the direction that Sony’s first party output is going. Sony seems to have an obsession with having their gameplay be subservient to cinematics to tell a story, as we’ve seen in Naughty Dog’s output as well as this, Detroit, and The Order 1886 (remember that?) Apparently Days Gone is supposed to have over 3 hours of cinematics, which Sony bragged about recently.

Sony seems to have taken the wrong lesson from the success of Uncharted and The Last of Us and shoved cinematics and storytelling at the expense of gameplay into most of their games. Those games succeeded because they had a lot more going for them than just story or cinematics, and the failure of Beyond Two Souls and The Order 1886 should’ve shown that approach doesn’t get you anywhere sales wise. Also, the fact that the Switch is doing so well without cinematic games and the fact that a package of Crash Bandicoot remakes sold better than almost all of Sony’s first party output this generation should lead Sony to question their strategy here.

The old GOW games despite having those QTEs actually used them properly while also having a shit ton of gameplay.

Wasn't that the flow of Bioshock 2?

Glad to see the guy who did Teal'c is getting the Dad of War gig, but fuck Sony, just gonna pirate the HD movie compilation when this comes out, also their advertisements and story videos fucking suck.

TLOU is definitely the correct comparison, expect cookie cutter 'action' setpieces between the Sorkinesque walk-and-talk endless cutscenes

yeah, well, they have no idea how to make a new game that has gameplay as polished as Crash Bandicoot, but they know how to make cutscenes!

I'm worried about how the abundance of story is going to affect replayability. It never took long for the other GoW games to get started, 3 in particular only takes about a minute or two after pressing 'new game' before you're running around freely and cutting up enemies, and there weren't many setpieces that interrupted gameplay. But I can see this one having a load of unskippable walkie-talkie parts that plague other story focused games.

I suppose because Naughty Dog got very successful with making interactive movies that plebs, thus other companies seek to get that "I want to play a movie" audience themselves?

Pretty sure modern Naughty Dog's fanbase doesn't want care to see more gameplay first/focused games like Crash or Jak.

They showed snippets of gameplay at PSX and it looked good. Why are they so afraid of showing gameplay?

Never mind, they want to become Naughty Dog

They are not any better than NeoGAF.

There will probably be no more because featuring nudity would clash with the tragic/dramatic tone they are trying to do and also because they want to be more "mature".

What would those fags know? They somehow think its going to be open world, when all we have seen is a linear walking game.

There is nothing quite as mature as a pair of tits.

Just call it an action game, you DMC autists.

Even if you don't agree with their forums, Giantbomb is actually one of the more reliable gaming news sites, even making it onto GG's recommended reading list. We haven't noticed a single bit of corruption from any of their writers.

Kill me.

Guess I have to agree its more like Dark Souls now. I must have forgotten how you have a young girl boy that you have to take boring walks with and listen to forever while you guide through long straight ruins woods in Dark Souls.

That's a lie and you know it. Hell remember all those people saying Giant Bomb died with Ryan? Well it did you retarded larper.

Character action specifies that it's an action game based around fighting enemies in arenas and getting large combos while doing so. "Action" is a general term that doesn't give you specific details about the game (i.e. PUBG, League of Legends and GTA 5 are all considered "action games").

Second part meant for

But the voice actor is literally Teal'c

Would you even want one made by Neil Cuckman?

And here I thought they got some literally who from California to voice Kratos. You learn something new every day.

I still don't understand the Death Grips meme.

That just means that you aren't feeling it yet.

Actually good point.

Three people somehow managed to emulate the thoughts of a tweaked out homeless man and turn it into music. It helps that MC Ride looks like he's homeless himself.

God of War was icky, violent, made for the dudebros (ugh).
That's the shitty excuse from the press to justify that Last of Us turn. Druckmann fucked up Naughty Dog and now Sony wants Santa Monica Studio to do the same.
What pisses me off the most is that Santa Monica was working on a new science fiction game (it was created by a guy who was a writer on BSG) but the project got cancelled by Sony for a new Last of Us of War.

so mouth breathing retards and corporate shills?

Normies. I know someone through uni who will literally buy anything so long as game journalists rate it highly. He actually cites places like IGN when proffering an opinion. He's Asian (slit not dot), and like basically all Asians, he's hyper concerned with status, and simply must have the new iphone or whatever. Honestly, it's so obvious the jews just want to degrade and humiliate the west by importing niggers etc - because if they'd just focused on orientals, they would have a perpetual mass market of the most servile goyim in the world.

They had extremely bland gameplay as well. Let's be honest, games like that are just a miracle of marketing and lucking out. There is very little in the game mechanics - or even the story, which explains their success. Developers really aren't stupid for assuming that their audience is made up of braindead, trend-following drones. They've just got to hope that games like God Of War catch on as well as the best-selling 'cinematic experiences' have.

I swear most of the people who love souls games are simply retards who've bought into a meme because they think it makes them 'hardcore gamers'.

Pretentious, 'edgy' normies who think they're buying into something 'totally out there'.

old men trying tomasturbate to western manjaw waifus

Go back to
>>>/cuckchan/ you piece of trash

Awful. And more importantly, why?

It's funny because people are going to give the series slightly more respect now if only because the games were honest action games, never mind that they were "mash square to win" most of the time.
It was a simple thing – anger, bloodlust, killing gods and fucking attractive women.
The story was an excuse to put the player into that kind of setting, as it should be.

Now look at it.
A flaccid, pussified mess.

This game is about as timely as a Pac-Man clone when Super Mario Brothers came out.

This will trigger Cuckchan Holla Forums endlessly

To be fair, God of War was the hot shit and might as well have been considered for the time what Dark Souls is today

I hate the Souls meme as much as anyone else, but are you really going to imply that Dark Souls doesn't have anything going for it when compared to Nathan Drake's Wacky Grenade Tossing Adventure?

New or old? If New, it was going to be shit anyway.

Based elderly man with suspiciously Jewish accent, or is it just german?

PRECISELY

Because that's the sample size normalfag cattle has.
Everything is Like *most mainstream thing X* of Y

Anthony Fantano and Halfchan’s /mu/.

New and no, like Moore he also worked on DS9.

What genre is this game? jk i dont care

How about you go back instead sonygger.

Why does this give off "Movie Trailer" vibes? It sounds like a god damned trailer out of Hebrew-wood.

Nope. What I'm saying is that most of its fans are normie retards who will imbibe whatever the gaming journalists spoon feed them. The lad I know who references IGN literally thinks dark souls is the best game ever. In what universe is a depressing and repetitive slog worthy of such praise?

Does he also believe that it's the hardest?

Warframe is more GOD of WAR game than this "kino".

Nah he did argue with me that it's popularity is in large part due to memes about it being extremely difficult (propagated by games journalists). Tbh I was just baiting him when I said that: still, his - response that none of the reviewers mention its difficulty was completely retarded. He also somehow thinks it has an amazing story.

I really just don't get souls games. I've played demon's souls, and dark souls 1 and 2 - and could never be bothered to finish any of them. They're as bleak as fuck (and tend to look like shit), they have terrible 'running on ice' animations, they're entirely based around soul destroying repetition and there's very little in the way of catharsis to break any of this up (yep - you've beaten that boss: now say hello to a whole new area of totally uninspiring fucking nothingness). I get that people's tastes differ, but to earn such praise? I stand by my point that they're basically just meme games for 'gamer' normies.

To be clear - he was arguing against the idea that souls games are sold on a difficulty meme.

You are either lying or a retard. No one likes GiantBomb after Ryan, and all the people at giantbomb are huge hypocritical SJWs that now do the same shit they once fought against. Also hey had ties to people they did shit for/defended.

I don't know how anyone can think of this, when this was one of the trailers released for Dark Souls, before it even got ported to PC. Maybe Demon Souls, but certainly not the Dark Souls series.

Meant to say, I don't know how anyone can believe this

All of this is wrong, but I am glad you confirmed you're a kike normalfag by using the word normies.

Why aint you noided?

Well, saying that those areas are uninspired is blatantly wrong because the inspirations are very apparent. I get where you are coming from in regards to some of the complaints, but that seems to be a matter of taste. Maybe study more European architecture from the Renaissance and previous and also read some Berserk? I agree with you on the story being overhyped, which is also ironic because it's meant to be a story-light game (especially for an RPG). The character arcs were fun to follow but it is impressive how people will latch on to something simply because it made them feel smart for having read an item description.

I said 'uninspiring' - as in boring/bland. The whole thing seems unpleasantly claustrophobic, boring as you like, and hyped simply because it has frequent deaths as a central feature. The lore is there so that retards can pretend to like it for a reason other than its much lauded difficulty (and the status that lends them), and as you imply, act elitist in the company of other fans (who don't even pretend to give a shit about the virtually non existent plot). It also allows people to pretend this is actually an rpg in any meaningful sense - rather than a poorly animated hack-em-up with light rpg elements.

Here's the image without 4-Chan in it.

I like most of the areas – with some exceptions, Lost Izalith being the most prominent that comes to mind – but I also am a huge fan of the classic AD&D/pulp fantasy aesthetic; dark crypts full of asshole skeletons and shit waiting to annihilate you around every corner in the most unforgiving way possible, and filled with deadly but weird traps like the rotating bridge in the Catacombs. I like the aesthetics in almost all of the areas but there are a few in which their adherence to aesthetic or realistic architecture noticeably impact the game. Anor Londo's conspicuously vacuous and lifeless beginning area for example, and the fact that the Duke's Library is overly huge and drawn out (to the point of being outside of aggro range of mobs that you can down the hall)

that you can see down the hall*

I love how retarded "walkie-talkie" sounds in reference to movie-games/interactive cutscenes. People should use that more.

I started with DaS1 when it was new and I found the gameplay really lacking. I was expecting different stances, different classes with gameplay differences, being able to target limbs etc. It got really predictable at some point and I just slogged through it with relative ease.
DeS on the other hand was a fucking dream. DaS felt like you were getting kicked in the dick every step of the way with no goal and no enjoyment from defeating bosses. DeS on the other hand felt like a fucking adventure with all of it's exotic locations, enemy variety and whatever else. Gameplay was the same, but lore and world-building was far more fleshed out, not to mention the levels weren't neutered like in DaS.
Hurrrr this wyvern perched on this castle gate is so tough you guys. Well how about running away from it down the length of an entire god damn castle wall as it hunts you? Definetly among my favorite parts.

To stay on topic, God of War 1 and DeS have some similarity, in that they have this sense of wonder and amazement about them. In GoW you are thrown into an extremely violent ancient mythological greece and it is pure adventure with good setpieces and good visuals. In DeS, you get to explore a world that was swallowed up by evil, and get to see it and fight with it up-close. Both have a really strong sense of lore and worldbuilding, and that's what I liked about GoW.
DMC3 came out in 2002-2003 or so and it was pretty complex in it's gameplay. GoW came out in 2006 and even back then I realized that GoW is just a casualized DMC. Where GoW's gameplay wasn't all that great, it made up for it with it's story and visuals. Turning GoW into another walkie-talkie is not the right direction. It's like if someone made a romantic movie with Conan the Barbarian as the lead. What the fuck are these people smoking?

I really hope they fucking get burnt hard on this.

It could happen.

That shit is literally 2D dark souls though.

This is how a lot of AAA game trailers have been since at least the 7th gen.

Man something like the Emoji movie just flat out offends and disgusts me. Even that shitty food cash in movie by the stoner dude felt like it was made by a human. This Emoji Movie shit is so soulless and corporate it feels like an AI came up with the concept.

Man i am sick and tired of the over-the-shoulder view.

From the thumbnail I though nuKratos was breatfeeding something at first. I was not surprised.

I just can't get over how some shit head writer thought it was a good idea to make the world's angriest fuck-up into some sort of good father figure

Soy does fucked up things to the brain.

DeS was a fucking godly game.

INB4 "muh toxic masculinity" in "subtle" undertones

Just to correct you, DMC1 came out in 2001, DMC3 came out Feb 2005 GoW1 came out March 2005. but even then DMC1 is still better then GoW.

[citation needed]

They did a rebound with Jumanji believe it or not. They went up against the Last Jedi… And won.

It was always a walking simulator

Sony ordered them to make another GoW. They didn't want to, they were done after the trilogy. They wanted to make a science fiction (RPG?) game.

It's retarded because his entire arc was already about his stupid ass wife and kid.

Character action never made sense to me. I've always used CUHRAYZEE instead.

Looks like it's literally 'My Wife's Son Walking Simulator.'
With the exception that there are no niggers. Yet.

Teal'c is doing the voice of Kratos.

Is he still the angriest fuck-up though? Because the angriest fuck-ups are the best father figures.

Fucking Christ.

Is it like with cursive which most niggers can't read?

This is literally reskinned the last of us.
Should have just let the series fade away.

because then everyone will realize there isn't any

There's one big difference. Since Kratos is stuck in Skyrim, there won't be any ladder "puzzles".

One look at the combat tells you everything about it. The biggest thing being the camera angle and how Kratos attacks. It's a tweaked version of the Last of Us melee combat.

GoW3 gameplay
hooktube.com/watch?v=jvaNHcD-wAM
Scripted sections are usually short and simply transition into the next phase of the fight constantly keeping the player on his toes. The Hades fight being a great example. Bosses also throw out attacks that take advantage of height and positioning. Making it so you have to jump (or not jump) to avoid some attacks instead of rolling. Game also comes with many sub weapons and weapons from bosses that mimic moves they used against you.

GoW(4) gameplay
hooktube.com/watch?v=zriV7vCQees
Scripted sections constantly come one after another and the player's input doesn't value nearly as much to keep the fight cinematic. Despite the light weapon, Kratos attacks pretty slow compared to before. His attack speed with that axe nearly matches his attack speed with heavy weapons that are too heavy for normal men to wield.

Here's a good example of The Last of Us melee combat for comparison.
hooktube.com/watch?v=8_SaSSKutDQ

Probably. But that image is from the ADL. So you know it's extreme bullshit.

No matter how casual the original GoW trilogy's gameplay was, it still had fucking GAMEPLAY. This is a fucking travesty.
Besides, I don't get the bad rep the original trilogy got besides popularizing QTEs (I never played the spinoffs). Sure, it wasn't on par with DMC or Ninja Gaiden and having to unlock higher difficulties was bullshit, but when playing hard or above it got legit challenging. You'd get surrounded, grappled and fucked fast if you played safe, but also being too agressive and not properly guarding would leave you open a lot since combos had their momentum and the character would not react until the animation finished most of the time.

Was Asura a fuckup to begin with?

I agree that original GoW games were much too easy even on harder settings, but the challenge arena shit was damn difficult and fun in contrast.

Embed related is another good example of the kind of stuff you could do in GoW3 (go to 0:28 to skip the intro). It's hardly DMC4, but it still gave you a ton of tools to mess around with and string together some creative stuff.

It's unapologetically a game, which is the main thing missing from the new one. It's got blood, gore, boobs, ridiculous weapons, a hit counter and runs at 60 fps. I think what best represents the contrast between this and what we've got now is when Christopher Judge was being interviewed about the new game and said "it's not like a game script, it's like a script."

why is Kratos using a shield? He a lil bitch now?

Kratos has used a Shield before, He is a Spartan.

It was a different time.
Games were games and GoW was seen as the normalfag bait back then.
When you look at it today, the QTEs weren't even that bad – they were largely related to the actual gameplay and if you made a mistake you'd get fucked up.
There was gore, tiddies and an edgy protag – things you will not be seeing in video games for a long, long while because this is a mature medium that has grown up.

It's pretty funny how people will be looking back at it fondly because, at the end of the day, it was a proper game.
That's how shit the industry has become.

Why do I keep coming here? All I ever see is disappointment.

GoW gameplay is simplistic hack and slash with some stylish QTEs thrown in. If you've seen a couple of fights you've probably seen how 90% of the game is going to go.

Showcasing the story is far more marketable than showcasing the gameplay, as it would end up repeating itself after 20 seconds.

This was revealed 2 years ago.

Over the shoulder camera doesn't mean the games are similar. Its just a good point of view for third person action games.

It's a good point of view for gawking at skyboxes and providing a close-up view of the character's reactions to "OMG SO COOL" scripted scenarios.

It's shit for a third person action game since it absolutely rapes your situational awareness by cutting a full 200+ degrees of view from your camera. And, as someone else pointed out above, developers compensate for this by reducing enemy aggression dramatically when they're behind you - so they more or less just stand around doing fucking nothing and only attacking occasionally at 1/2 damage to remind you that they are there.

That camera angle is garbage, and it makes games worse.

You're a fucking idiot.
You do realize that some types of games only work from a third person perspective right?
They only thing suffering from what you're talking about are third person shooters.

No user, it doesn't cut down your view at all. It allows you to see what your character sees in from of him, while at the same time not having an issue that old games had - your character blocking the front of your view.
I had zero problems while real time shooting in new vegas while third person. I am pretty sure warframe players don't complain about their camera either. You shouldn't be able to see what's behind you anyway, devs who reduce "enemy aggression" behind a characters obviously make shit games.

Want japanese examples?

It depends on the angle and the FoV. I can't stand the Resident Evil's over the shoulder camera, it's too close to the character.

you have a point but it comes with a big
BUT
God hand is a game about dodging punches most of the time, the camera helps you with that and the little radar on the top helps you avoid being flanked, enemies are merciless in this fucking game
and RE4 is a slow paced horror shooter
first time i played i don't remeber being bothered by the fact that you can't aim and run at the same time like in any other shooter, but the enemies are slow enough to make the camera work
then there's Gears of War wich is mostly linear so every time the enemies will come from the front and since the gameplay demands you stay stuck to a wal most of the time the camera doesn't bother either
a camera like that needs a very specific kind of game to work and for what we've seen from Nu God of War it has close combat like godhand, but slow and cliuncky like RE4 and it seems to be mostly linear to
honestly it looks like shit

Now that I think about it, the more churayzee it gets, the more distant your camera to a reasonable extent.
God Hand's right stick was exclusively used for dodging and there weren't any inputs that could be used for the camrea other than your movement.

Unless Kratos starts doing tactical rolls, it's not going to work the same as God Hand. Even if the limp dicked hipsters making the game had that in mind, they'd more than likely find some way to fuck it up.

I swear most of the people who hate souls games are simply retards who've bought into a meme because they think it makes them 'hardcore gamers'.

I was pretty fucking bothered by it the first time when it came to Krauser, I wanted to knife fight him god damn it

Almost all of this is just plain wrong, I can tell you're the type of faggot who only plays JRPGs where the main character is some 10,000 year old soyboy who looks not a day older than 15

Same procedure: kill the hype, subvert the marketing and take normalfags away from it so it can flop.
The is no point in arguing the stupidity of western companies anymore. Act to end their revenue.