Good melee combat systems

ITT: Games with fun, skill dependent melee combat systems, cuhrayzee genre not allowed

On a different note, was Dark Souls really ever good or was it all just a strange episode of mass delirium? I dare you, boot up DaS1 right now and start a new character, tell me you're having fun in that game. The combat is so incredibly monotonous and formulaic, it's all just waiting, circlestrafing, backstabfishing rinse repeat, plus learning every enemies moves if you have to.

Other urls found in this thread:

amalur.wikia.com/wiki/Area-Level_Cap_and_"Anti-Overlevelling"_Guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yakuza

The surge allows you to crouch and jump to avoid enemy attacks, not big but pretty neat.
In dead island there is also the analog fight system where it allows to control your weapons movements so if you want to chop of arms or heads you can aim towards it.

Post what you consider good combat so I can decide if you are a casualpleb or a tryhard and customize your insult accordingly.

Who the fuck rolls with any kind of armor when opponent currently swinging an axe at you? You're expected to fall down with its weight and get strike on the ground.

I don't think i've ever played a game with a combat system like the one i've described except for arguably some curayzee games, or fighting games.

KH2:FM critical mode comes to mind, though I haven't actually played that edition of the game before

The only qualifiers you described are 1) fun 2) skill dependent and 3) melee. Either you don't play many games or I think you're dodging the question

Most fun combat melee systems just flow well and feel good, but they don't require much skill or offer room for improvement except for maybe learning combos
The skill dependent combat systems i can think of are

I'd like you to clarify this, for the sake of the thread. Stylish action games don't require much skill outside of executing combos, but Souls is an example of skill-based combat because it requires you to time your parries?

I've excluded curayzee, they can be fun and skill dependent, it's just a different story entirely, not the type of melee combat im referring to. It requires "skill" to parry every given enemy in Souls but it's a shit type of skill, simple and braindead timing. Nobody watches a Souls player in awe as he wins some fight like you would for example watch a top tier SF or Tekken player.

Dark Souls combat is utter shit, but the animations and sound effects are pretty meaty I guess, that's the only reason why its addictive.

That's one of the reasons why DS is shit. In Severance, a light class would roll (amazon and dwarf), but an armored or heavy class (knight and barbarian) would hop around or sidestep while crouching instead.

There's one other qualifier that everybody forgets, which is momentum. Having timing and enemy movement memorization as the biggest factors of a successful combat outcome is the sign of a shit game, for example Dark Souls. What makes M&B and Star Wars Jedi Outcast shine above the rest is the momentum based combat. It feels more natural and skill based than timing based combat.

That's the distinction I want you to expound upon, because I don't feel like you're articulating yourself enough. Obviously parries and dodges in Souls are not that skill-dependent, if only because of the extremely generous i-frames and parry windows, but it's not like timed inputs in action games are particularly uncommon, especially in stylish action games. Even in DMC3 there's a similarly timed block that has a separate, more strictly-timed version called Just Release. Specifying that this is a no-cuhrayzee zone when even you said that some games in that genre fit the description you're looking for is strange, unless you just know that they're going to be over-recommended.

There you are

That's why I hate the "skill" argument. It's momentum, not skill, that separates good action games to bad one.

Pretty much, and i've played through almost all of them already. Plus they are a different thing in my opinion, with juggling, dashes, backdashes, ranged weapons, spells, and a lot of crowd control focus. I want to know if there is anyone who managed to make semi realistic sword and shield combat fun and skill dependent.

niggers tongue my anus

Depends on the game, The Wonderful 101 almost always gives you just 1-3 powerful enemies at a time instead of throwing trash mobs at you.

There it is, that's the description I was looking for. has mentioned M&B and Severance, both of those get a recommendation from me. As far as over-recommended games go, you've tried Dark Messiah?

Best melee system created up to date is obviously Soul Calibur II and up series.

bushido blade is the only japanese game with acceptable combat

the combat system in dark souls isn't bad, I started up a new character that's melee dex, went with the balder side sword, and had a lot of fun. parrying and backstabbing require timing and practice, swinging a fuckhuge sword does not. people look at raw damage output instead of using strategic thinking, that's why the late game is such a chore for them. Most people never think to two hand their weapons either, which just compounds the issue. The sword play in demon's souls, while more basic, had a shitload more weight to it. The power attack for a one handed sword looked intense.

dragons dogma just has all around better combat, especially archery. I don't mind the archery in dark souls but fuck me if it's not the slowest shit ever. Aside from that, the sword play in dark messiah is pretty entertaining. There's also Exanima, it's a realism focused game but it can have some fun moments, shame the devs basically abandoned it.

shoo shoo weeb

Animation memorization and rhythmic timing are everything wrong with Soulsborne combat. Those, and autotargeting.

The late game is a chore because the level design sucks balls.

Zeno Clash 1 & 2 has some pretty satisfying first person fisticuffs action.

Absolver has a great melee system with customizable moves.
Sadly they just focused on the shitty online instead of making a martial arts Dork Souls.

You mean every single game from the 70s onwards, git gud.

I remember playing a lot of really fun "arcadey" style games with some nice melee combat, most of them of course were b-tier games that usually received intense scorn panned by the (((games press))) even though most of them were very serviceable and didn't deserve the overly harsh criticism. I'll post them in cover format, and if you want some commentary just ask.

continued

continued,

I feel like I'm the only person in the world that actually liked The Bouncer

Is Amalur even that good? I've had it for a while now, but I can't play it for too long without feeling like there's just way to much lore going on, and not enough gameplay to back it, plus the combat seems REALLY easy, like I just roll dodge than stun lock the enemy's over and over kind of easy. Does it get any better, or should I just avoid it?

Good shit. I still have fond memories of co-op'ing with my brother. Best part was you could actually hurt each other so you could either fuck around with your buddy or accidentally kill him with a grenade.

The sequel was good too, despite being almost completely different and singleplayer.

I liked it too but it has been ages since last I played. Liked the combat system and the variations on the plot that made replaying the game fun. Also I kind of remember it having a lot of unlockables.

Don't bother with, it gets worse. As you get stronger enemy encounters become even easier and the lore/quests don't get any better either. The only remotely interesting part of the game were the faery story retellings you participated in.

Fug, I always heard it was super easy to get overpowered, but I was hoping it would at least be fun to curb stomp enemies and hear some neat lore. Thanks for the warning.

the game was fine, it does have a bit of that "tech demo" feel to it, as that's what it originally started as. originally had a sequel green-lit (inspired by the official manga) at one point but, they killed development on everything that wasn't Final Fantasy during that era.

the game/combat is fun the character models look great, play the game with all the DLC, minus the over powered preorder bonus weapons, get the hard mode balance patch and change of weapons every once in a while to keep the experience fresh

I never played the sequel, but I've been thinking about replaying the original as somebody put out a 60Hz frame rate patch, in the graphics look great with a z-buffer at 960p

game only gets really easy if you allow it to, as I said don't use any of the overpowered preorder items. I say give the game of chance if you like the idea of a fantasy RPG with a nice action combo system. (graphics hold up really well on a decent PC)

Nioh has a fun combat system, the Ki recovery or whatever was a bit annoying at first but is pretty fucking great once you get used to it. There is only a few weapons but 3 different stances for each one make the gameplay much more varied and replayable.

The game with the most unique melee combat system ive seen was w101, I am not even sure if it even counts because of how different the game is from others, but I had a lot of fun with it so that is what matters to me.

I only played the first Yakuza and it has the shittiest most clunky and broken melee combat systems ive ever seen. Its pretty much beat the shit out of your enemies with a bike or furniture to win, and outside of that button mash and chug health potions whatever they were called to win.

I played on proud, it was pretty damn fun and rewarding to play. Although grinding for the rest of your abilities through the drive forms was a pain in the ass.

Yakuza becomes decent from the second onwards. Kiwami and 0 in particular have a nice style system. The quick change clothes in 0 allow for some style change combos.

What are some games where the focus is primarily on hand-to-hand combat?

Yakuza's 1 combat is honestly horseshit when compared to its sequels. The biggest problem being rectified is being able to move whilst in a combo. Yakuza's combat gets better with every sequel so you should sick with it

It's a shame really. I tried to get into it quite a few times but only managed to get to about the half way point before dropping it.

The game will still become piss easy way past the preorder items are of any use anymore. The best part of the game are the early levels where enemies are actually dangerous. If he's not enjoying it early on, he most likely won't enjoy it 5 hours in because it's more of the same but easier.

God hand comes to mind.

No, games from the 70s relied on MOVEMENT instead of simon says animation memorization.

>>>/reddit/

God Hand's pretty good

i dunno user i really like the combat in DaS1, i mean i personally prefer bloodborne but timing heavy attacks with a zweihander is fun.

mein neger

The sequel had some damn good graphics and aiming system for an non-Dual Shock PS1 game.

I guess, I don't remember having any of those problems and I played the game when it was brand-new, all I did was stay away from the preorder items and adjust the FOV. had a good time game was a decent challenge (it's kind of popcorn game) and I was hoping to see what they could do with another one, unfortunately the damn Mayor of Rhode Island decided to mess everything up (who owns the rights now?)

god hand is okay, I remember it actually being kind of broken on the harder difficulties, but as I recall you needed to set the game to the highest difficulty to see everything.

maybe try some of these (as far as anarchy reigns goes I've only ever messed around with the bayonetta DLC, so I've never played the main game proper) and of course no more heroes is veering off into a bit into "cuhrayzee" but I think it's worthwhile if you can play the Japanese exclusive 360 version as it has a much better frame rate and controls than the ps3 version (and all the gore is uncensored)

This is like that Youtube fag who thinks Serious Sam is a memorization game because he can't detect ambushes or adapt on the fly to new encounters. If you're getting hit over and over until you figure out an enemy's animation timings, you either suck at the game or the enemy animations are unclear bullshit.

I wouldn't go that far. Everything was pretty muddy and the FOV made me sick, with no way to change it in game. Fitting, given it was supposed to be an MMO.
I would love to, but I apparently attached the DLC to some EA account that I don't remember the login to. Might just have to find a pirated copy

Severance and maintain blade both have rather shitty clunky combat system. especially mb's retarded tank controls.

(checked)

I didn't know any of this before looking it up. That's weird as.
All I knew was that the original was supposed to be an MMO, which may explain why it's a bit shallow in some regards.

that's pretty much what I did recently as I would like to replay the game and put it up on YouTube, can't remember the name of the release group (profit?) but there's one out there that lets you customize the install so you can have all the DLC story missions and
boss areas right off the bat, and you can decide to install all the preorder items (or none of them) along with two field of view options and an optional difficulty balance patch. (rslog might still have it up)

It's a simon says game, combination of pattern memorization and rhythm timing, especially for the larger enemies and boss fights.

saw you thread in the nerve center and booted up dark souls again
still fun
it might help that I dont fight regular shitmobs that you can circlestrafe all that often I just run past

actually it's a completely different game than the MMO, Curt Schilling purchased the team and the game they were working on from another publisher. and then they just worked it into the lore so it could be a prequel to the MMO that was actually still in development and give them some time and funding as he knew it was going to probably sell fairly well.

Fun fact: amalur permanently scales down zones the first time you enter them, so you're punished for exploring. If you enter an area at level 1, all the enemies in that area will be scaled down to level 1 for the rest of the game no matter how many times you exit and come back.
And no, there is no upscaling, only downscaling.
Maybe that's why you found it so easy.

Another cum catcher to add to my collection.

If you're paying attention and not retarded you should be able to guess what an enemy is about to do based on the first couple frames of its animation and react accordingly, even if you've never seen the attack animation before. Pattern memorization is a fallback for plebs and really fucking hard to prevent: even games with procedural animation like Rain World or fucking real life combat could be considered partially pattern memorization when you spend enough time with it.

Cool, I'll do some digging, thanks for the info. Not sure if I'll still be interested in the game even with DLC, but worth a shot I guess

sucks she's only in 2 games (technically three but the third game is so obscure even the fan base forgets about it)

I really liked the Teeth of Naros content, and the dead kell stuff had some really creepy atmosphere. would've been great if they could expanded on that even more

It's fundamentally the same thing, you must memorize exactly everything to be good you had to do this in 2D, for games that were dungeon crawlers exact spawn rates and enemy configurations even knowing they all look the same. The exact puzzle configurations, teleporter configurations, etc. Then come arcades and fighting games and all the shit you complain about applies even more in fact it's even more precise and demanding since you need to know the exact frames since those games are designed to milk as many quarters out of you as possible. Come consoles like the N64 and PS1 and if you didn't memorize the animations and timing of everything you'd be getting your ass handed to you pretty quickly. Demon Souls onwards is just more of the same.

If you want shitty rhythm based combat then look know further then the Arkham series.

He complained about rhythm-based combat earlier in the thread and if he's the user I think he is, he's shat up a couple threads over the last few months because he thinks anything that isn't a Jedi Outcast or M&B clone is a button masher.

just remembered a few more. Demon Stone, Conan, Lok: Defiance are all a bit more hack and slash but the combat is very satisfying ( each in their own different ways) and Looney Tunes, if you want something a bit weird but has hand-to-hand combat and multiplayer potential. (also available on the original Xbox and PS2 believe)

I liked Mark of Kri's system. You have this target painting mode where you highlight bad dudes and then start chaining up combos on single dudes or groups of them. Keeps things from feeling mashy.

(checked)

and all of those terrible Spiderman games that tried to emulate it.

That's a pretty retarded shit.

Even the ones with stupidly long buildup or even blow up like the stray demon? I agree that most of the trash mobs aren't very pattern based except the skeleton thingies, the lanky zombies, and a few others. Either way it's rhythm based combat with timing based attack and evasion in place of actual body movement. The actual movement is really limited. This shit uses i-frame for rolling for god's sake.

None of those is related to simon says combat.

Like KoF, Street Fighters, and the likes? Yes, they suck.

It's the most terminal cancer, but that doesn't mean souls isn't cancer as well although less severe.

But it is the definition button masher. Pressing the right button at the right time is more important than targeting your swinging direction.

thought only I remember that game, also reminded me of Rise of the Kasai.

if you want to challenge your patience and experience some interesting (aMost amusing attempts at combat innovation that mostly fail try. Rise to Honor And Death by Degrees. ( you'll be angry and laughing at the same time)

Why? It's shit. The potential is there, but it's just a fucking waste in almost every aspect. They should have celshaded the original Bugs Bunny games of PS1 and port them to PS4.

I haven't played that port yet, but I assume they at least fix the frame rate issues that I had on the earlier systems. ( as I said only for those into "weird stuff" maybe fans of Looney Tunes/ space jam. although as I recall there's no Lola Bunny which is a huge missed opportunity)

The problem with Loons is that it's from that time where WB didn't have any idea what to do with the franchise, it was around and influenced by that shitty Looney Tunes movie with Brendan Fraser. It's the same as Acme Arsenal, in concept sounds pretty nice, but the execution was too lacking, if not just mediocre. The game is not good at all, not even for Melee combat. That reminds me.

Stuntmaster was pretty fun. Maybe is just nostalgia talking, though. I miss Radical Entertainment.

I only watched my friends play Zeno Clash, so I don't know how it's like but I did enjoy "breakdown" on the original Xbox

Yep, it's you again. The fag who doesn't realize that ultimately all combat (including all real life fighting) boils down to looking for openings and exploiting enemy timing and behaviour. Stuff like M&B and Jedi Outcast are the same shit but because the controls are slightly different you heap praise on them while sitting on everything else.

you're definitely right about all of that, and it is completely mediocre ( not always a bad thing though, especially for random multiplayer stuff) but it did (sort of) scratch the power stone itch that I sometimes have. (I miss the Dreamcast era)

That's not my argument. My argument is movement and momentum based combat allows more options than just animation timing, memorization, and rhythmic button mashing. In real life fighting, there's no button mashing, only momentum.

Interesting, I'll check those out, just got my PS2 back out recently.

That's one thing i wouldn't mind seeing a port out of nowhere for.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Skyward Sword combat philosophy. It is your argument because you deny other games also make use of movement and momentum, so you strawman their combat systems as "lol button mashing and memorization."

Every game where you can control movement has a degree of momentum of course, but some are not at the same frequency.

what did he mean by this

Physics-based casual party games.
Remember, you are talking to a bitter scrub.

Yes, I think Dark Souls is more or less the ideal form of melee combat. I hate "cuhrayzee" games because they are style over substance. You end up finding one move that works and repeating that endlessly unless you are going for some arbitrary score shit.

Dark Souls cuts all the fat, attack animations are just about whether or not you can hit what you want and none of that fancy garbage. It also slows things down so it's less about reaction speed and more mental.

Yea man. No one two hands. Even IGN don't mention it in their OMG A NEW SOULS GAME TOP TEN TIPS articles at like number 7 or anything.

Which isn't true if the game is well designed because different enemies will punish different moves.

Dark souls combat system is 3 buttons. Attack, Heavy attack and Roll. You have novelty attacks sure but that's what they all fall into. There's nothing to it.

Darksiders is a good suggestion OP. It's like Zelda but not shit. Lots of options.

And block. You don't have to count parry since that's usually more effort than it's worth.

Darksiders is a pretty good example of the lack of depth for the more "cuhrayzee" games. You literally only need to use one sword attack and you don't even have to wait for enemies to be vulnerable most of the time, you just run up to them and spam attack, occasionally blocking or dodging (I honestly forget which) when they telegraph an attack. There's some zelda horseshit mixed in where you have to use some special tool to make certain things vulnerable but it really doesn't add anything of note.

Dark Messiah

Only because of the kick move.

Monster Hunter

Blocking is completely invalid against the majority of bosses unless you want to get your shit wrecked. So no I didn't forget blocking since it's an optional technique at best and often it's completely removed from the gameplay.

Darksiders isn't a a cuhrayzee game, it's simply an action adventure game with a decent melee system if you want to explore it. The same shit OP was talking about.

There's another patch coming in the next month or so. Progress is slow as they're a small team and the lead is the only programmer as he can't stand to let anyone else touch the code for his game. There has been no company drama or anything, it's just taking a long time. I suspect they'll finish Exanima by mid 2019 or something.

Believe me. That is a good thing.

Im currently enjoying phantasy star portable 1 combat system, its nothing to write home about but it isnt exactly bad either. First diablo clone in 3rd that i actually find enjoyment in.

Blocking is by far the easier option and works on most bosses. Dodging only works at all if you can time your invulnerability frames

Dead Island has that analog mode option which lets you attack based on the direction you press your right analog stick in. Want to attack from left to right? Lock on and move the right analog from left to right. Was kinda thrilling to fight against heavier enemies since you needed to dodge, lock on and attack quite fast and often, would result in interesting fights.

Portable 2 Infinity is even better. Avoid vanilla PSP2 because it has some serious balance issues both in terms of classes and weapons, like braver (I think the localization called it vanguard) being obscenely overpowered due to its traps and force being shit in general, not to mention that Infinity practically double's the game's already large amount of content.

your picture is stating the main reason why im not all too eager to touch infinity. Ive red that there is a guide but shit navigating moonrunes is 2 difficult. I hope the devs get a new coder soon. until then im playing psp1

Why not just add some fucking RNG while we're at it?

You would love the PSP's library then. It's full of corridor grind fests like that. It's a shame because that genres so good but done so poorly.

Blocking is not a valid option. Because it says you can do something doesn't make it an option you should ever take. If it's an option you shouldn't take then it's not functioning at all

Problem with that is that you almost always wanted to just slash the arms off and then larger enemies became worthless. Your default attack was a horizonal slash without that system so there was never a real reason to use it.

DI is like 80% of the way to being a fantastic game… but it just fails.

Well yeah, the game is incredibly well optimized. Every time there's a new patch he also seems to have gone back and improved the enemy combat behavior, which is likely another reason it's taking so long. Some people with early access to new patches say the latest one is a big improvement from the previous combat AI, and it had already stopped being "drunk combat simulator" as movement and combat looks a lot better than it used to.

Insular behavior breeds degeneracy. Deep calls to deep.

You new here? It's been like that for years.

I only found phantasy star and monster hunter to be somewhat enjoyable. White knights chronicles were decent but too repetitive. there are that tower games with the robot you can upgrade but i havent tried them yet. Anything else?

You are right, it wasnt exactly needed nor was it good but it was fun and added some depth and challange to the combat system. Something that i havent found in any other game besides dead island 2 either. maybe someday people find the need to flesh it a bit more out since the base concept is pretty great

Faggot as soon as the souls series became popular half of Holla Forums went full contrarian on it. Same thing happened with portal fucking years ago, this isn't new.

From soft aren't as good as they used to be. Dark souls 3 is a terrible game compared to what it should be. As budgets got larger and they got more mainstream and less niche they should have fixed the problems the games had. They didn't fix them and instead casualised the games and nostalgia baited.

Hating Demon soul's From is heresy. Hating them now? Pretty reasonable.

If you have a vita then Tokyo Xanadu.

How the fuck did you tolerate rip tide? I never left the first area, it's just bad.

So then if you hate Dark 3, I'm going to assume you also hate Bloodborne?

It depends on what shield you're using. If it's the Heater Shield then yeah, blocking boss attacks gets to be more trouble than it's worth after the Gargoyles. Greatshields, especially the best ones, don't eat up nearly as much stamina when blocking. You still can't block shit that hits around the shield, though.
There's also a lot more to the game than just boss fights.

Same trash really. Not sure if i finished it tho, dont remember much about riptide but cant say it was all too different either. Same jungle locations, some more zombies and one additional character. the zones got a bit bigger if i remember correctly and you can now kinda traverse the swampish areas which was neat, otherwise, same exact shit. Explain to me why i am wrong

When you can't tell if it's bait or pure retardation.

Bloodborne did little to fix the problems of the Souls games. It just made it faster which in turn created even more problems. Covering everything in fur and rags so it looks like a garbage heap wasn't the design direction I was hoping for.

Swamp locations in shitty boats that controlled like shit and enemies jumping out of the mud. They made that first area as miserable as possible.

I suppose i was just
desensitized at that point after playing dead island 1 and the condemned series so it didnt really bother me.

Souls is limited and definitely formulaic, yet the games are still somehow fun after many playthroughs.

I personally liked Gothics fighting system, it's probably one of the only action RPGs I know of of that treats fights against beasts and armed opponents differently by making it impossible to block attacks from beasts and forcing the player to doge them instead. Once you got set up and no longer had to fear getting your shit kicked in by a rat, the game had some neat mechanics.
Thinking back I never really got bored with the combat, even though it's rather simple and somewhat clunky, the inability to heal mid combat, being forced to position yourself right and keeping an eye on multiple enemies always posed enough of a challenge to make the combat itself satisfying.

You just limited the pool to RPGs and side scrolling fightans
nice job OP, you're a faggot and you got me to take the bait.
I thought it was good, but something tells me that reading just a bit more will inform me you don't think so.
I heavily modified the game so that all the starting classes were knights of some sort, My next stop is making the classes a little more balanced, since paladin has no right to be as strong as he is currently, but who knows when that might be
Sounds like someone who didn't find a weapon they liked. Dark Souls isn't for everyone, and in fact it's just a nice little dress up game, but min-maxing the fuck out of a character is always fun to do just to see extremely high damage numbers.
gee, you sound like Egoraptor when he was reviewing how OoT was garbage; Dark souls, like OoT, allows you to set the pace of the battles as long as you know what you're doing. The wait periods are the moments where enemies are attacking, and it'd be stupid for you to let your guard down when something is attacking you; in any game you have to do some amount of waiting in a fight or it would all be one-sided and not fun.
If this is a gripe, a serious one, not just some baity shit, then you should not be playing video games, or at least not ones that require some amount of thought.

Physics based combat isn't what I necessarily mean, but that would be great. Exanima was great.

The problem with this is there isn't much emphasis on the idea from gameplay perspective. Autotargeting and 2 buttons attack don't help. Compare to Jedi Outcast where you have to aim your blade with mouse and WASD, there isn't enough of this swing and aim control in Souls combat.

I admit that while the combat is crap, Souls isn't actually a bad game. There's a lot of RPG customization and progression that keep your attention fixed. It's something that Severance and others lacks. But try to fight the mobs. Thrashing mobs was one of the most fun parts in Jedi Knight games along with fighting the Dark Jedis, yet in Souls it really bores you to death. It's just roll, stab, wait, roll, stab, wait, roll, stab, wait… ad infinitum.

It's one of the relics from the Tomb Raider era where most devs were too retarded to design a 3D game. "Quake has smooth and intuitive controls? Who cares about that shit, let's use tank control." The funny thing is Gothic 2 is a 2002 game, yet still uses that full retard control scheme from the 90s.

Oh yeah, the boss fights were garbage. Most of the enemies were garbage. Too much roll stab wait as I've mentioned before, like Souls. Only the ones that carry a sword are fun to fight.

Strategy can be fun. Animation memorization isn't fun though. Hotline Miami and Superhot involve a lot of strategy and twitch skills yet require no animation memorization, that's what fun is.

Tank controls are far from the worst of the 90s. They're effective at what they do and in adventure/survival horror games they're ideal controls when you have to pick up items or don't want a character to be too agile.

you just stated the fact that you don't enjoy these games for the one thing that they require you to enjoy. All of your points are invalid because it's based on an opinion that is extremely biased. Your thread is shit and you're shit.

What's the worst according to you.

Just give them slower movement speed. There's a difference between not too agile and clunky.

I see the combat controls of Gothic as some kind of real world counter part.
I guess fighting is not easy, so in a game it should require more than a few clicks or buttons, you have to get into it quickly and master it over the period of the game.
Same as your character gets stronger, you learn the controls and they go from clunky and untimed to a straight flow until your opponent lies dead in front you.
Every time I install G1 or 2 I have to start from scratch, but learn it intuitively through my playthrough or some speedrunner kills every human opponent in 1v1 on level 1.

In martial arts, even with all that disciplines, the most fun part is still moving your limbs and aiming for the target. Now take away all the movement and aiming parts and replace them with a push of a button. What is left is just the boring disciplines.

It still feels clunky all the way through for me, even though the character does get better. I prefer the leveling system of Oblivion where you the controls are always fine but you're gifted skill perks that includes new movesets as the skill progresses.

If you had any understanding of what you were talking about you would know you're full of shit.

So basically the deepest you want a fighting system to go is how long you charge your mouse button and how quick you can mash them for fast attacks.

It's funny you put it that way because the very first time I played Gothic it felt like I was learning to get better at combat in unison with the nameless hero as he spent LP, which added quite a bit to immersion. While the overall controls definitely could be better, they're not as bad as people tend to make them out to be. Especially in the combat department.

I play primarily using the keyboard with Gothic and only use the mouse to fine tune movements. For example I turn with the keyboard and use the mouse a little to speed up that process. It makes the game feel a little less clunky if you get the hang of it but it's still far from perfect.

No, combat in that game was bullshit and half-baked.

So you have Unarmed fighting styles, Magic fighting styles, and Weapon fighting styles. Magic and Weapon fighting styles use MP and Focus Points to use respectively, resources which are also used for healing and bullet time. This in itself is not necessarily a big deal.

But then the game has the fucking audacity to make Weapons and Magic useless against half the enemies you fight. Demons and Ghosts are all immune to anything except your fists, which makes no sense.

If anything, Demons should take extra damage from Weapons, Ghosts should take extra damage from Magic, and both should take reduced damage from Unarmed attacks.

I specifically referred to kung fu and karate actually, but in reality I've only learned a bit of taekwondo in high school.

That matters more in Jedi Knight and Severance than in Souls though.

The only thing Souls combat has going for.

The deepest system is actually being able to fully control your swinging direction and narrowly avoid enemies' attacks by doing more complex movements than running away or rolling.

The mouse is useless because you're still incapable of hurting anything that isn't locked on by your autotarget.

Late game is a chore because you slap on havel's or giant's and mash r1 until the boss falls over, or the boss is Bed of Chaos.

It doesn't really matter what weapon you went with, 40 vit and either of those sets lets you just facetank endgame because the entire endgame is a massive mess.

I was referring to general movement, but you're right, and like I said it's still far from perfect but bearable.

somebody made this handy guide. that can help mitigate issues.

amalur.wikia.com/wiki/Area-Level_Cap_and_"Anti-Overlevelling"_Guide

my nigga

Go play some of the experimental PS1 shit then come back and say tank controls are bad.

THANKS GAME

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Hammerfight.
Too bad the game is buggy as shit, AI is worthless and there's no online multiplayer. And local co-op only works on 32bit windows XP and requires 2 mice.
It probably would've garnered more attention if controls weren't so awkward, but there's no way to easily fix that since that is exactly what makes the game work.

The "straight-forward" implementation of melee combat, like in DaS/DMC/etc., just can't be made interesting. Shooting is engaging because you have to not only press the button, but also aim. Melee in most games is just shooting without having to aim. With that as a basis, melee can only become complex by balancing around timing, spacing, counters, etc. And Dark Souls has all of that. It just falls completely flat after you've "solved" all of the situations since the execution is too easy.

Of course, you can try to rebalance numbers until you can't easily do that anymore, but then you either end up with a standard fighting game, rock paper scissors, or counters countering counters: the videogame.

Nioh did though.

Is Beat Down any good? I love Urban Reign and Sleeping Dogs so that should tell you something about my (refined) tastes. And what about Final Fight Streetwise?

You cant make this up

Amalur always looked so cool to me. I stayed away because of all the warnings (that downscaling is absolutely cancer) but I never knew there was a leveling patch. Might have to try it out finally, I love combo combat.

Dude as someone who routinely spouts that DeS is the best souls, BB is still hands-down the best soulsborne.

cuhrayzee isn't a genre, it's a shitty meme propagated by shitty people.

Mount & Blade

It always seems retarded at first but really isn't.

This place is full of degenerates but it has less to do with taste in games than you might think

Dragon's Dogma
Monster Hunter
Lost Planet (Borders on Cuhrayzee)
4th Gen Armored Core

Went into it expecting taekwondo and got autistic fidget spinners and dragon ball z charge attacks.
It's fucking shit.

Are you a bot?>>14220488

Would be good if you remove running and slashing. This thing is more abusable than DS rolling. There is no use for 99% of the game system till running exists.

>only way to escape same frames don't give me shit that you can block