Are cinematic third-person cover shooters finally dead?

There used to be a long period of time where a majority of the AAA releases consisted of nothing but the same kind of samey linear 5-hour long cover corridor-shooter, each with near identical gameplay whose only differences were some kind of gimmick or the setting and story. The latter ones tried to sell themselves entirely on the story like The Order: 1886 and Spec Ops: The Line, but most of them failed financially because the market was becoming completely oversaturated with these kind of games.

Nowadays, I barely see them in ads promoted everywhere or in hype charts, with the exception of games like TLoU2 and RDR2 which are sequels to games casuals lapped up like mad. It's as if casuals finally got tired of them entirely and AAA developers realized they couldn't follow that trend anymore. Nowadays you have the open-world sandbox meme instead, but even that well is starting to run dry after Ubisoft brutally milked it dead. The constant rise in AAA development costs has also made the positive influence of making the development of blatant clones (such as Agents of Mayhem and Battleborn) less profitable due to lower returns and lack in gameplay innovation, and the multiplayer market being practically untappable nowadays because of games like PUBG and Overwatch which people play only because everyone else does and streams, whereas any kind of modern cinematic singleplayer experience is expected to be much longer in playtime. Story-focused games are also only finding their audience and funding in the indie or AA market nowadays. Even in the indie scene do you not get the feeling anymore that almost everyone is going for the retro faux-2D platformer shit anymore.

Basically, it seems like even the AAA and indie markets are starting to become more diverse. :^)

will I finally get dubs?

Can't wait for the popamole meme genre to die, Andromierda crashing and the fact that no one seems to care about Uncharted 4 is a good sign.

No you won't faggot.

Will OP finally stop being a faggot?

There were so many failed TPS during the 7th gen I don't know how anyone could say they haven't been dead for a while now. It just took longer for the high profile ones to see any damage.

It will forever be the filler gameplay for games where the narrative comes first and the gameplay is an afterthought, such as The Last of Us and Uncharted.

Even the big names failed in 8th Gen. Gears of War is dead and Quantum Break was a TV TV SPORTS TV experience and flopped.

Trips confirm… he wont!

I absolutely hated third-person shooters for a number of reasons, but the biggest has to be the shooting. The stupid camera was always hanging over your right shoulder, so you would NEVER hit what you were aiming for, especially if something was on the left side of the screen. More often than not, the player character would be shooting his gun directly as a wall or a piece of debris that's in the way instead of what you're aiming at.

Now we get third person over the shoulder walking sims instead.

Repoeted for furshit

I sweat the camera angle only exists to show off animations. It's never used functionally since you can't see shit behind you anyway and there's rarely any platforming that isn't completely automated.

Don't you worry OP, people will always find ways to fuck up everything. If these cinematic games were bottom-of-the-barrel and are only now losing favor, something so much worse and braindead will fill the void.

every single time
console game design is cancer.

Doesn't it have to do with the fact that every game copied RE4 for some reason? That's something I never quite understood when even Capcom used the "tried and true" camera angle with something like Lost Planet. The only games that seem to benefit from the "Over the shoulder" angle are titles that "Survival Horror" games.

player character directly below crosshair is the truest third person shooter, the rest are just glorified first person shooters

The God of War reboot is going to be exactly that and I predict it's going to fail horribly as a result of everyone expecting a mindless button-masher because the title on the cover says 'God of War', but it actually being God of Walk.

That Hellblade game by Ninja Theory (from the makers of FUCK YOU) actually did quite well and managed to turn a sizeable profit because Ninja Theory is surprisingly adept at optimizing development costs and not wasting their budget on bloat and marketing. The game itself is ass but you should look at some of their development diaries to see what they did to improvise using a low budget to achieve the technical fidelity which would have cost a dozen times more for your usual big studio. Something to look at for the aspiring developers amongst us.

Gears of War 4 flopped.
The Order 1886 flopped.
Quantum Break flopped.

Pretty safe to say it's dead at this point.

Fucking TaMeme. I can never forgive him for scribbling on a masterpiece of a series with crayons, calling the fans morons and then being so incompetent that Crapcom had to fly people over there to fix whatever the fuck these people were doing. But first and foremost, Crapcom is the target of my ire since they allowed this disaster to happen in the first place.

The list goes on but the more notable events were the media shifting the narrative to be about fans getting mad about the change of hair, and then they actually had a hired shill come to half/v/ that tried to talk shit about MGR:R right up until the release dates. It was pure fucking autism and his dedication was insane. I will never stop being angry about this.

I have that saved as "Ultimate Rebuttal"

Just wait for NaughtyDick to release TLoU2 and for journos to praise it to hell and back without doing anything new

Why be angry at this shitshow if the results are fans and developpers eternally assblasted about the game's failure?
They were so petty about it they tried to associate Dante with the comboys for Brokeback moutain

How and why do western devs manage to mangle female faces that much?
I already know the answer ;_;

Who the fuck else even bought that? I didn't know it had even come out until the gamejournopro squad decided it should be nominated for half of the game awards.

Unless you have UK gibs and a mo-cap studio to lease out to other studios you probably won't be as lucky.

Plenty, apparently. I can't think of a good reason either.

What the fuck am I looking at?

I pray last of us 2 flops. I want these boring games to finally end. Third person shooters could be amazing, seeing your character on screen allows for platforming and other advanced things that first person shooters can't do. Combined with good weapons the TPS genre could be really good.

It's the inspiration and thought process behind donte you fucking newshit.

Donte designer mad that people don't get how hip and cool Donte is compared to Dante, so he goes to a conference and attempts to sway people by shopping Dante in a Brokeback Mountain scene and other dumb shit.

Cuckchan started going full "SHUT IT DOWN!" this morning when they disabled the image upload.

Where were you in 2013 when that shit was all over Holla Forums newfriend?

Being an idiot over on GameFaqs.

Meanwhile Japan makes the most beautiful things out of the monsters that are their women.
Things are all backwards, man.

IT BROKE NEW GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish the soibois stopped making these fucking faces. I actually feels sorry for them.

That face will never cease to annoy me. I wish death to all of them.

I miss LP and DS. Both sadly turned to shit by their corporate overlords.

What went through their heads at that particular time? Can I blame Inafundme?

What, aren't you happy to see the smiling faces of people who've sold their soul just because a creature with breasts happened to look their way?

Who the Hell knows? From what I've come across, everyone within earshot of it knew the game was going to fail the moment it was announced.

I don't think that is going to happen unless naughty dog fucks up hard. All they have to do is reuse assets but with different characters and the normalfags will rush to be the first ones to see it.

No. Uncharted 4 was just released not too long ago, God of War 4 is on the way, which may as well be the third person cover shooter equivalent of melee combat games, and normalfags lapped up Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild, which can both function as a third person shooter to some degree if you squint your eyes and stretch the genre to accommodate these games. You already mentioned TLoU2 and RDR2, but I'll bet my left nutsack that Ubishit or EA or any other major publisher could shit out something similar (Watch Dogs 3; a new shitty Tom Clancy Metaru Gia ripoff; Hell, even another Nintendo Squids game) and people would eat it up.

In short, the answer is no, this genre is not dead. Your diatribe is less about third person shooters and more about the general trend that the internet has produced that is making cash grabs less profitable. This may be the silver lining, but the bad thing is that lazy cash grabs are still somewhat financially successful, and more importantly, they're being replaced by low quality memeshit that is filled with microtransactions and loot boxes and other garbage. It's been like this for quite some time now, though, so this is nothing new. Same shit, different gen.

Holy shit, how I hate that Chronicles movie. One of the most pretentious garbage I ever watched.

Didn't Watchdogs 2 flop? Also they just released a another shit Tom Clancy game last year, same applies to another Nintendo game; have to milk the games good before releasing another one.

Reminds me I need to replay Max Paynes again

So what's the next memegenre? Battle royale games?

Welcome to 8 months ago.

Please be patient. I have autism.

I'll milk your prostate like a dairy cow you fucking faggot.

Lewd

i don't understand how you can put this two things in one sentence. PUBG is the glaring case of single man and a gamer with an idea and vision coming and tapping like 80% of shooters market for himself. Leaving AAA studios with all their resources to bite their elbows and developing shitty clones in a haste. But of course as the time passes the harder it becomes to achieve such successes. Because less and less new things are left in existence and more things becomes "already made".

No, these are lewd.

I fucking wish.

You can technically beat the first one without killing any enemies, it's shit. The only good one was 2.

Oldass GunZ and S4league did the whole third-person shooter well. Now many years later there are still no better online 3rd person shooter out there. WHY?

I think it's because there are a large number of mental invalids who love the Uncharted games but will ONLY play the Uncharted games. So, for a while studios were trying to tap into the Uncharted market, making clone games, and they all flopped because Uncharted fags will only play Uncharted. This is why The Last of Us 2 will do well despite it being just as shallow and boring as all similar games that failed. Because Uncharted mongoloids will only play a mindless awful corridor shooter if the main character is Nathan Jake or Joel Nathan Drake.

RDR is more of an open-world romp with lots of collectibles and progress bars, which is still a fairly popular genre.

I'm sure your favorite can be busted down just the same. Who cares. You eat garbage, they eat garbage. Maggots beget maggots.

PUBG's popularity is vastly overestimated because 90% of players are Chinese faggots who are infesting North American servers. When the government censorship finally kicks in and they all get locked into their own version on their own servers, the player base is going to plummet hard.

I'm just hanging in for the LL hatchet fights.

Was that the "Red Demon" autist?

RE4 copied the over the shoulder angle from Freedom Fighter.

What?

Everyone knows you suck at video games.

Back to Holla Forums you vid related.

does that game still get praise from normalfags?

Unless your average Yahtzee drone counts as a normalfag I don't think any of them ever liked it.

makes sense, and why do people even praise this game like it's comparable to vidya classics? is it only because of the shitty twist?

cover shooters, retard

It came out after the second massive casual boom in 2011 and was the first shooter they ever actually paid attention to. Don't mind the fact subversive shooters have been happening for decades now, tvtropes told me this was the Puella Magi Madoka meets Call of Duty so it must be one of a kind.

yes. a twist so shit that many games just use it as a footnote to a greater characterization. a cliche so old it has no place being the focus of any modern media.

seems about right