Is the Resistance series dead? Why did the Resistance series never took off like Gears of War did...

Is the Resistance series dead? Why did the Resistance series never took off like Gears of War did? It was suppose to be Sony anwser to Halo/Gears of War.

Because Gears of War was one of those games that gets insanely popular despite being shit simply because of chainsaw bayonets. While resistance was made by devs who's main claim to fame was Spyro and Rachet&Clank, and only gave them up because they where told to. Vid related (at 23 minutes) the CEO of Insomniac mentioning gears of war and saying how they where forced to copy it

Do you think a soullest game pandering to focus groups will be fun or memorable?

*soulless

Also it's mr. shitface who mentions gears of war not the CEO.

It never took off because it's shit

It ended on a high note. Resistance 3 was a great game but the first two were pretty shitty. The first feels like a really bland shooter straight from the era, and the second abandons anything with potential from the first. I think sony was panicking trying to deal with the western influence at the time trying to get a dozen halo killers out the door instead of actually producing games with a unique identity. I've played the PS3 resistance games, completed 2 of them, and dropped the second one only an hour into it because of how bad it was.

It's dead and it's OK if it stays that way. I think it's good that Killzone also appears to be dead.

Not as marketable, they always came off to me as being fairly generic brown middle market shooters with aliens, but I remember actually really enjoying the first one once I played it. Got the second one but got bored instantly.

Gears had edge and grittiness normie teenagers absolutely ate up at the time, the iconography and cinematic style made it stand out more. Also, this is the ps3 we're talking about, most people had and preferred xbox at the time, Resistance never became a "classic" that everyone played and loved.

It's definitely dead. 2 butchered the plot and atmosphere that it's not really worth bringing back. I think the first did an okay job with that stuff, especially since they let you roam around alone most of the time. I didn't care for 3's story, a lot of stuff felt forced (the mc, whatever the fuck his name was, jumping out of the helicopter because of his wife and kids even though he didn't have a reason to) or cliche and not that interesting (the prison sections where you fought humans). 1 and 3 have pretty good gameplay, though, main draw being that there's a ton of fun weapons and you can switch between them freely.

Maybe it's just me but playing an FPS with any Sony controller just feels wrong. The triggers on the Xbox controllers feel more suited for it.

i don't see a difference, both are complete shit for the task

Yes but I'm specifically talking about the triggers here. The Xbox ones more resemble a gun which is probably attributes to why the system is, or at least was, known as the shooter console.

Yes
Because it's boring bland shit
No that was the shitty Sony FPS Killzone

Resistance and Killzone are fucking mediocre garbage, always have been, deal with it.

The 1st game was an obvious shot at gears but honestly it had a really cool world and the lore of the game was really fleshed out. I really enjoyed it, and the online was unique too. But the 2nd was literally Gears: Call of Duty: resistance flavor. Most people dropped it after that. The story was all over the place too and the graphical updates were shit. It was awful. The 3rd was a good game but really the 2nd game shit all over it so much that the series never realized the potential it had. Disappointing, but most games from the era were too busy trying to be a business rather than a game. All I remember when its mentioned is the fucking shift to this mindset because everyone was trying to make money from call of duty. Really sad.

It's kind of a shame, the games did have some interesting stuff in them and the studio was still trying to make weapon variety beyond easy to identify/model weapons. I appreciated a lot of little things in it like how shooting the chimeras tubes out would cause them to overheat and how the first game had the best glass-breaking physics to date even if it was just a minor thing. Guys in WW2 themed uniforms fighting aliens was just aesthetically satisfying to me as well but it sorta all went off the rails, probably from trying to compete with xbox shooters

I really enjoyed R2's goofy as fuck co-op raid mode. I was sad to hear they shut down all of the multiplayer servers including that.

wow these sure are some edgy opinions

holy fuck this dude is just as bland and boring as his games

wouldn't be the first time they got bullied by the higher-ups into making a think tank game. Do you think the guys at insomniac rip their hair out know overwatch sold gangbusters after being forced to not use a similar visual style

It was actually good and not casual enough for COD kids. For a game to popular it needs to be simple.

I don't think the visual style was the key to overwatches success, but overstrike/fuse lost a lot of its allure when it shifted styles so significantly. It probably would have at least been a modest success at a few hundred thousand shipped units instead of what did fuse start with in its opening week? Like 2000 units in the UK?

it wasn't the key but it definitely aided overwatches success because it was able to sneak in during that grace period where the casuals wanted to try something other than COD. Also "stylized" grahics and other buzzwords mean "lower graphical demands" which means more people buy the game

Why does Sony kill off all of their good IPs?

It mostly made it stick the safest landing possible. overwatch is clinical in how safe its approach to everything is.

better to retire them after a few games than drag a corpse around endlessly imo

Lots of really lazy and brain dead replies in here. Just saying “it’s shit” is a total waste of space. Why even bother posting?

Resistance and Killzone could never reach the popularity of Halo or Gears because that latter series delivered excellence from the first game and continued to be consistent in what they delivered. Both games had plenty of standout elements, delivered something new, and were executed well from the first title, and largely expanded on successfully in sequels, giving the series some momentum.

Sony’s competitors were inconsistent in many ways as a series. With Resistance, it launched on a really expensive console and while it was solid, it was bland in many aspects. Resistance 2 was a much bigger game, including a coop mode, but each component was rushed and it didn’t really come together all that well. The SP and MP were downgrades from the first, and the coop was fun but needed a bit more attention to really shine. Resistance 3 ditched the coop, likely because the series never had a reputation for coop play, and had a really good SP but a MP that aped CoD instead of being its own thing. The series had good elements at times, but totally inconsistent in delivering them or really having any kind of identity as a series. With Killzone, the series was less schizophrenic, but mainly suffered because it couldn’t live up to the ridiculous hype those first two games had. Much of the hype was due to graphics, and while those games had excellent graphics compared to other games, they were nowhere near the trailers released, and the Killzone franchise never had enough big strengths aside from the graphics to take off. Anything distinctive they did with the game (mainly in KZ2 with its multiplayer) got tossed out in later entries in favor of copying CoD again, which is a clear sign that the series never really had a solid identity for itself.

For people to get hyped and invested in a franchise, it really helps if the franchise knows what it is and what it wants to do.

oh for sure, they got a big cast of characters who all more or less have the same attitude and the few almost interesting ones are too watered down to actually be fun cuz you gotta hit that wider audience. Plus why think about your characters too much if people on reddit/tumblr will make up the rest for you and then you can appease those bottom feeders by making their fantasies canon without actually affecting your canon

yeah, blizzard's only somewhat cautious move was being unsure if they should go full in on the social justice shit. As you can see a few months after the game dropped they went in head first and embraced it once it became clear it was the safe move.

I do wonder still how overstrike might have actually played. The studio that did the CG trailer, Blur, is known for making trailers that accurately convey the game play. It ended up being retooled into an over-the-shoulder third person shooter so I wonder if it was already a bog standard cover shooter or if it controlled more freely like I imagine it would have played.

The fact it got altered makes me more curious in the first place. There's stories about young focus groups giving the game a hard time but i dunno how much validity the rumors have on that one

Everyone I knew who had a PS3 had it, though. The game was fucking trash anyway.

No it would make sense. They don't usually talk about pressure from upper management, but upper management was no doubt aware of the reception it was getting and most probably pressured Insomniac to listen to the complaints. It's not like it's malicious, they were worried it was going to be a disaster, Insomniac was entering a new partnership so it's not like it's a smart move to say "no, you and the kids are fucking wrong, this game has a great style."

Overstrike and Insomniac just had the cards stacked against them, it was a lose-lose situation.

don't forget that even if these games become as popular as halo/GoW that nobody would move from their xbox

stop hanging out with niggers

Nothing was that special about it. It went for both the sci-fi and world war II FPS market at the same time when there was no shortage of FPSs to choose from. Sony wanted Halo's audience but the Halo audience was always full of loyalist xbox fanboys so it was a waste of time. The only people who picked it up were sony fanboys and people that had a ps3 who had it pushed on them by sony fanboys. I used to be one and I don't know of any other type of person who even bothered with Resistance. Killzone was very similar but had a lot more appeal with it's aesthetic and being fairly impressive at a technical level.

I wans't saying it doesn't make sense, i just can't dig up the rumors on hand right now is all. It sucks dick but of course the suits wouldn't be willing to take a big risk like that although I feel it would of payed off to go with the original theme of the game just because it stood out just a little bit more than anything else on the market at the time

These games were all fucking trash, Halo itself was average as fuck and the only reason it did well was because Bungie knew how to art design and write and, it was the first time an FPS like this waa released on a console and a heavy shilling campaign by Microsoft with it as a launch title.
It was a decently crafted fucking novelty.
Only one of those was present with Resistance and Sony barely shilled it.

Christ this board is so fucking trash nowadays, now we have 7th Gen underage kiddies defending the most mediocre fucking games because "muh PS3" "muh Sony", goddamn.

i never even defended the game, but yes you are correct. these games are trash and if they were on 360 literally nobody would know what they are

super edgy opinions my man, playing it really dangerous ;) How much got2bglued is in your hair right now? Gonna talk about how much better keyboard and mouse is for first person shooters like its some magnificent breakthrough next?

I agree, it's a shame. I'm just saying I don't think its anything particularly malicious.

If it was published by Microsoft all of the fans on that platform would be sucking it's dick like we have faggots here doing right now.

I agree, it's easy to damn the higher ups but they are weighing risks and sometimes they weigh in wrong

It still had the decency to do weapon and enemy variety which is a fucking dead concept now

halo gets unfairly shit on but it really does do a lot of things well. I don't feel like it ever sticks the landing behind its game play mechanics but it does some things I can appreciate.

Not an argument Sony cocksucker
You mediocre games do nothing new in terms of gameplay and despite their asthetics and good art design are so shittily written and poorly paced witj barely any lore backing them that they have no atmosphere of their own.

Even Timeshift is better than your trash and that's mediocre as fuck.
The only thing they have going for it is splitscreen which happens at sub 15 FPS.

thats nice edgelord, hide the thread if you don't like it

Like different asthetics for each faction which every Halo after Reach pretty much kills.

Not an argument shitter
Prove your shit doesn't stink or don't reply at all.
Too bad you can't and Killzone and Resistance along with Little Big Planet were always mediocre garbage hyped up by normalfags and platform warrior.

Halo is one of the last "modern" games i can think of that would put multiple enemy types into one fight. I feel like i haven't seen anything like that in ages beyond throwing a more tanky enemy with an LMG into the mix

Gaylo made way for COD4 so you're not getting that token.

I'd tell you if there was anything good, but I haven't seen any shooters since halo that really try to have decent orthogonal enemy design. Each enemy fills a role in combat and halo is much the same way. It even differentiates based on squad status, enemy rank, and there's little subtleties in their behavior that make them more interesting to fight or more difficult as you progress. Hell, you can even dodge enemy shots because they don't really use hitscan weapons.

Like I said, it doesn't stick the landing with this stuff so it's far from perfect, but it does attempt it and I can appreciate that. When it gets it right, it's a lot of fun. When it doesn't it's a mind numbing drag.

lol fuck off retard

so did doom tbh so doom is also shit now

Halo had multiple forms of cancer like 2 weapon limits, regenerating health, ect but it is nothing compared to the cancerous shit we have now. A halo clone would be considered original in this day and age.

halo did the 2 weapon thing for a reason, same reason it also did regen health (it didn't have regen health until 2, shields aren't health.)

Plenty of games have done that recently.

That makes no goddamn sense unless you're refering to the fact that Gaylo popularized console FPS which became even more popular and dumbed down with CoD 4.

You sure showed me

Because they were rushed to release a game for the Xbox in 8 months after a 2 year development cycle on making it for Mac PC.
Even Rare shooters did it right, there was no excuse

fuck off retard, go have your soymilk and go to bed.

I'm really inclined to disagree, and this isn't trying to defend halo either. Halo had just a way different approach to it's levels and general combat, just because it had regen shields (and later regen health) and a 2 weapon limit doesn't really make it like COD. You -could- argue that the weapon limit in halo was an attempt to spice up replaying levels or make players in co-op operator differently. I remember before sections you'd probably find a weapon rack with both a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle and both would be relatively viable choices. The weapon limit in COD was just this weird attempt at realism and it didn't really matter since all the guns acted about the same, from 4 onward there didn't seem to be much incentive to choose anything beyond your favorite assault rifle, especially since the "enemies respawn until you advance" made choosing interesting weapons pointless. Another thing that i found interesting is that the AI teammates in halo only got one life and lot's of players would challenge themselves to keep them all alive, in halo 3 (maybe 2 i don't remember) you could trade weapons with the AI teammates which turned out to be a fun thing to do, in COD the teammates literally keep respawning to run forward and die for cinematic purpose. I don't know if they still do that because i haven't played a COD game since black ops but i remember it being particularly noticeable in COD2.
Again this isn't necessarily defending halo i just think it's foolish to compare it to COD, especially COD4 and onwards where the campaigns became increasingly throwaway

shoulda proof read that post, I made a lotta mistakes but whatever.

Resistance was one of those games that nearly every early adopter of the ps3 had simply because it was an exclusive and they were desperate to justify spending $600 on the damned thing. If it was a multiplatform game or on the xbox or some shit nobody would have given it a second glance.

The first one was actually very good, It was the first ps3 game i ever played and the multiplayer was fun.

I bought the 2nd and 3rd just to finish the series since i stopped playing console games. and it went off the fucking rails. it had nothing to do with the first game and it looked and felt like shit to play compared to the first. wtf happened.
the first ame the guns were awesome and varied, the 2nd and 3rd they all looked and felt the same. the 3rd game was fucking dark as hell couldn't see shit.
the first game was an alternate 1950's and the next was some random bullshit. it also had this stupid ass yellow tint everywhere.

the retardation that would imply halo directly led to call of duty instead of realizing the industry is much more complicated than that is just a tactic to poison the well. call of duty even has more obvious inspirations in that the team behind the first one used to work on the fucking medal of honor games. Even looking at the design of a call of duty level, when you see how scripted it's been since the first game in 2003 – it has so little in common with Halo, it's absurd, it's stupid to imply that it was "responsible" for call of duty. That whole meme is fucking dumb.

I'm much more interested in having actual conversations about how the industry works, what influenced what, and how these things actually work.

what was the multiplayer even like? I only played the single player in those games.

Nah, kill yourself Sony cocksucker, these games are nothing but run of mill shit and OP is a cuckchan crossposter that has posted the same shittu fucking thread countless times
This coming from the NuMale with knee jerk reactions and no actual arguments, back to cuck/pol/ shitskin.

The scripting cracks me up because around the time COD1 was coming out i remember seeing a developer video somewhere and the guys were talking about trying to make the game with as little scripted events as possible. funny how that turned out.

you could customize the game mode so you can specify what weapons people could use, melee only or snipers only. the maps were fun and decently sized.

I think the first map i played was bus yard.

I haven't seen any developer interviews about cod in 15 years - I remember listening to it once in the background when I had G4 on. It's retarded they would even say that in a game which literally has a sequence where you ride in a jeep shooting pop-out enemies leading up to a turret sequence where you shoot down planes in the span of 5 minutes. Was there even much contention about scripted shooters back then? I don't even recall.

that actually looks kinda fun, has that really experimental feel like it doesn't quite know what kind of game its supposed to be. It also had high player counts for a console shooter didn't it? I remember the number 60 being tossed around.

The fuck?

almost every server you went to it was full of people shooting, it was crazy and fun. tho peoples internet connection wasn't the best so most you could host was 4 or 12. i think official servers were like 60 or something.

some of the maps had glitches you could exploit which was really fun to do.

yeah but it was shit.

40 players
It was mediocre barebones trash

Plenty actually from Fleet games to RTT ones in Klendathu.
This one was a shitty FPS that's broken as all hell and has awful game and level design but has fucking hundreds of enemies onscreen.

that's great. You could really tell the game is running on a weird mix of a ratchet future/deadlocked code. It must have been really chaotic at its peak with players flying all over the map, and with some of those penetrating projectile weapons it was probably a lot of fun. I doubt it'd be a game I'd ever get good at but I'm sure I would have had fun with at least the novelty of it.

I dont know if anyone plays anymore. I got nostalgic and bought the 2nd and 3rd and it was shit.

Im a pc gamer, and It was the first ps3 game i ever played.
I started out as a pc gamer at age 3 then i became a console gamer when after i got a ps3 then back to pc because i didn't like the restrictions from the console.

I'll never find that first dos game i ever played.

Give info on the dos game? maybe somebody could help you find it.

describe it a little I grew up playing DOS and PC games

To me, Resistance always looked awful, and from the few minutes I played of it, it played just as bad as it looked.

Resistance was very much a sympton of the current trends, a game made for the sole purpose of notching off every box on the checklist. Washed out colors? Tacticool? Rebels vs Imperialists? etc

And it didn't help that the PS3 was outright superior to the 360. As 360 was -the- console for shooters of any kind that generation, where as the PS3 really was only for weebshit a handful of exclusives. Meaning that the demographic that the Resistance may have catered towards didn't even own the console it was an exclusive to.

I doubt it, it's probably some game someone made locally.
I'll try to draw it.

It was a racing game made out of lines, the track had these obstacles you needed to jump over or something.

Same here along with Motorstorm and I dont feel nostalgic for them at all as I was actually having fun by playing Free4All WWE matches with 5 other people on my PS2.

I always wished i had friends who played pc game so i could lan party with them but everyone i knew had consoles.

I'm so sorry user, especially since those guys probably own a PC nowadays but only play absolute fucking garbage like ASSFAGGOTS and CS.
join the gamenights we have here when the game is an RTS, it can capture a slight fraction of that magic

do you remember around which years you played the game?

it was 1994 i think

I liked Halo

I did some searching and this was the best I got. It came out in 1995, it's called Lotus Challenge. Didn't see any sort of jumps or anything in the tracks. This fudges the year range quite a bit, but there's also Rally Sport.

Thought I had more knowledge on DOS games here, but it's the best I think I can do with what info I have.

thanks but i think the game came out in the 80's since it was like vector graphics very primitive.

Im sure i have every single dos game. but i cant find it.

Well, I wish you good luck there. You might want to try some other retro game boards, maybe /vr/ on 4chan if they have one of those threads about finding games you don't remember the name of. DOS games aren't nearly as well cataloged as other systems.

VR might be one of the only good bastions left on that shithole of a site.

a useful resource is a useful resource. Don't feed the shitposter, however, he's just here to let out his butt frustration about console games existing.

wew

No, go back to you shithole cuckchan scum, I've seen PC98 threads here with better quality than that whole board.

Stunt Car Racer perhaps?

yeah, I usually make them. What's got you so upset again?

>>>/cuckchan/ and stay there.

>>>/suicide/
>>>/cuckchan/
There is literally nowhere good on the internet to discuss retro games anymore.

That 100 player resistance 2 multiplayer was fuckin awsome

64 not 100*

servers are down mate

Sunset Overdrive was complete shit too.

i don't think you understand the definition of trash and your opinion just bleeds anger and lacks any sort of objective criticism. you are making some vague allusions to the fact that bungie made a good game and the marketing is what made it successful. there is a reason we still have halo gamenights.

besides, the thread is about resistance, and mostly the positive comments are directed towards the first game, and rightfully so. yes it had flaws but it was worth playing and enjoying because it did a lot of things right. the REAL reason this board is going to shit is because we can't have ANY fucking discussion about ANYTHING without mouth-foaming, screeching, angry, tryhard-to-fit-in retards like you coming in, mass quoting posts and vomiting out your stupid, uneducated opinions. looking at your post history, that's most of what you do every time you're here. re-evaluate your life

Never played 3's multiplayer, but the first game's multiplayer was asymmetrical in terms of weapons each team started off with and had some differing character attributes. The humans had smaller hurtboxes/models (meaning they were harder to hit than Chimera) and spawned with the Carbine whereas the Chimera had (segmented) regenerating health and spawned with the Bullseye. It hosted up to 40 players.

The second game's competitive multiplayer was much more standard-fare than the first, with systems similar to killstreaks/deathstreaks and everyone having regenerating health regardless of whether they were human or Chimera, but the 60 player mode was a fun novelty. The 8 player co-op was great, though.

I thought 3 had the best weapon selection of the series. The Atomizer, Wildfire and especially the Mutator were tight shit. I also enjoyed the R&C-style upgrade system it introduced.

Forgot to mention something I appreciated about 2's competitive multiplayer, which was that you got xp for every shot you landed on an enemy player. I thought that was a pretty good way of getting around how unsatisfying kill assists felt in other FPSs of the time, particularly CoD.

The three of them also had some customisation elements in their multiplayer, though 1 and 3 handled this the best. You unlocked different human and Chimeran skins upon completing different challenges, and it wasn't just 'reach rank X online' either. The first game rewarded you with skins for completing the campaign on certain difficulties and both 1 and 3 let you unlock certain ones through skill points (similar to R&C) as well.

What's interesting is that the first two games' multiplayer components gave you the option of playing as Cloven (the human-Chimera hybrids) before they got a game focusing on them, Resistance Retribution, a third person shooter which I remember being hard as fuck but pretty decent overall.

Only the first game was good, the two sequels were incredibly meh. They should have never deviated from the ww2 against aliens route.

Sunset Overdrive was fine but it could've been better without the 4th wall jokes and if the game ran at 60fps.

The changes made to Overstrike weren't only in terms of art style, the whole gameplay changed.