Dragon's Dogma but good?

Is there any recent~ish open world action RPG that isn't shit?
I like the premise of DD, but gameplay is just awful. Is there a better alternative?

Other urls found in this thread:

members.dd-on.jp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nice dubs OP

Game has plenty of beautiful fan art, but in-game girls are all butt-ugly.

Just like real women.

Well, what are you looking for?
You're going to need to illustrate better what qualifies as an alternative of gameplay that entertains you as opposed to only displaying your shit taste.

So is this a bait thread, or do you just have shit taste?

Are you homosexual? Just curious.

are you joking?
In DD? el oh fucking el
I'll give you this one.

DD is a good game that could have been great but it is simply unfinished and needs more work. Period. With Holla Forums filled with fucking contrarian hipsters like it is I can guarantee you that if DD had been any kind of commercial success it would be decried for the unfinished repetitive mess that it is.

Skill-based combat system as opposed to stat-based one.
Also interesting not-generic world and enemies as opposed to something that I was seeing in vidya for 20 years now.
And last but not least not ugly fucking characters.
Here's another example of what I consider to be open world action RPG. It's exactly like DD and Skyrim.

All of that is false.
You can just grind levels and mash attack button and win just like in skyrim.
You can win enemy that heavily overlevels you even if you're good with its shitty combat system, but it will take 1+ hours that you could spend grinding and then one shot this very enemy with no trouble.
Exactly as skyrim.
All of them being generic fantasy monsters that fall into 3 categories - animal, humanoid and huge monster. There is no real variety.
Exactly as skyrim.
You just mash or hold attack button, I wouldn't call it different.
Exactly like skyrim.
It's not even open world, just a bunch of closed maps connected via way points with most of dungeons being locked if you don't progress the story.

No, something like Xenoblade or FF12 have good open worlds, but I'm not huge fan of their JRPG combat.

So, it is skill based?

Is skyrim combat skill-based?

Every action adventure title nowadays is either Skyrim, Dark Souls, or Zelda.

Depends, is potion hoarding a skill?

Zelda is just shitty puzzle game, I have no idea how it became so popular

No, Skyrim's monsters will just one-shot you without any recourse for dodging.
DD adds that and then you cry about stats.

But you can dodge and poke them until they die.
Just like in DD.

What are you talking about? I remember using plenty of skills in DD. :^)
Well, what are you looking for when you mean skill-based gameplay, then? What do you mean?
I'm not gonna say DD is hard when all you're facing is damage-sponge enemies, but it seems you played mostly fighter / warrior and fought mostly cyclops and wolves. BBI and Everfall is where the fun begins for me, but it still is unfortunately pretty easy. Saying it is bad combat is demeaning to it, tho.
I think DD did this pretty well, honestly. Their whole world and setting may be as generic as it comes, it's still charming. Generic doesn't necessarily bad, just not-creative. It's still well done.
Different animals that act differently as opposed to just running into you and doing their generic attack? Different humanoids that attack using several different abilities that you yourself possess? Different huge monsters, each with their own unique attack pattern and AI varying with HP, party status and their own status?
Several different classes with very, very different play styles and skills, each one having several unique abilities that play very differently? Did you even play anything other than fighter?
Granted. It's not entirely open world in that not ALL of it is open at the beginning of the game, and choosing where you go after finishing the first quest matters for fuck all regarding this, at least I'll concede it's a "do the main quest until bored then explore a little, I guess"-world.

If you can't run from one side of the map to other at the start of the game and still find plenty of playable content, it's not open world.

i recommend dragon's dogma

Heard that Divinity 2 is pretty good.

You should try Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

Back to 4chan, cuck

The only good answer so far.
D2 is damn good.

maybe you should fuck off back to 4cuck, kid

Yeah, I miss the anons these newest exodus fags pushed out with their ignorance and shit taste too.

DD is popular among anons because waifu mechanics and ability to make all sorts of lolis.
Its combat and exploration are barely better than skyrim which doesn't say much. Yeah you can do combos and climb large enemies, but what's the point if you can stop time and heal up to the full with infinite potions and grind enough wolves to then just kill wyverns by punching their legs?
I mean it's a good grinding game if you don't want online games' bullshit or can't be assed to git gud at monhun, but it just doesn't hold up beyond waifus and lolis.

I can confirm these dubs

But monhun is also has the same armor threshold system and is full grinding

It's an average game.
It's not the best and it's not the worst.
The Sorcerer is a very satisfying class to play.
Very fun.

But you cannot have infinite potions. The weight system prevent you to take too many objects and curatives are actually relatively heavy. Even worse if you wear heavy armor. Grinding doesn't really matter, specially at high levels, because gear is more important. And in BBI even if you have the best gear you are still going to get your shit pushed if you are not careful. The only thing a can concede is the need to have to pause the game to heal, which I think is a flaw too.

Is this whole thread just bait? Feels like the anons criticizing the game have no fucking idea of the game beyond "lol japanese skyrim" meme bullshit.

take your japshit skyrim and leave

Dragons Dogma is a game thats very similar to older styled rpgs. The pace is slow, the music and atmosphere is incredibly relaxing and it's only later when everything really starts to pick up. Personally, I think the main people who shit on it were just the ones who lack the patience to play it through. Essentially the COD audience grew up and discovered rpgs, and are now angry when older styled rpgs don't throw progression and treats at you every second.

If you're used to tabletop games, the pacing of both plot and gear advancement is very familiar. The game's initials are no coincidence.

who is that titty monster

It is not even that, the problem I have is that the complains miss the mark completelly.

Game has varied classes, with combat having many options that are fun. Mystic Knight plays absolutely different than Assassin, and both have different way they can be played depending on the skills you choose. Combat is built around exploiting enemies weak points, and the best pawns have their bestiary full. There are a myriad of objects to use which are useful and have visible effects, from poison to explosives and scrolls. I can understand not liking the combat because it is a strange mix of MH with DMC or the 6 skill limit with some of them being a bit redundant (I wish all enchantment spells were putted in a single one that let me choose elements for example), but saying it all boils down to smashing buttons is plain wrong, at least at high levels. Hell, regular attacks do fuck all damage depending on your class at endgame.

Monster variety is actually one of the strong points of the game, the real issues is that the number of monster is very low. Each monster has their own weakness and strength, and many fight in very different manner. Even the ones that are reskin of others have some crucial mechanic that makes then different. The problem is that the number of monster is ridiculous small.
Hell, I like the game, but there are many things that are wrong with it and I can understand people not liking it. The plot is quite lacking, the world is small and kind of dull, the "waifu system" is a total mess which can ruin a very tense and serious moment of the game, classes have very significant unbalances (fucking 3 skills Warriors), static spawn points for monster and more, without mentioning more subjective things as not linking the combat system which depends on your taste.

What puzzle me is that people complaint at what is actually the good things the game has instead of bad things.

Are you fucking retarded?

Yeah, Dragon's Dogma.

Git gud.

I was enjoying a Co-Op playthrough of Divinity 2 until I was talking to two NPCs and they asked me to take this child on a boat.
One of my Co-Op partners accidentally attacked the NPCs and triggered combat, when I asked if we were going to roll with it or reload a save, as we'd saved right before talking to them, I was told we were gonna roll with it for xp for killing them.
I decided my character was talking peacefully with them, therefore he wouldn't have any part in the fight and I began to leave combat, when the host of the game took control of my character off me and began to use my character in the fight, so I quit the game and I've not played it since.

It sounds like he played Strider or Assassin and spammed Thousand Kisses. Which doing said sort of things isn't a thing for classes like Mystic Knight (can't cast spells while climbing monsters).

rollin

What?

Ah shit I thought you were on about Divinity:OS 2
My mistake.

DOS2 isn't "action" RPG either way, but is also pozzed SJW propaganda carried solely by Fallout 2 combat system and elemental gimmicks.

I think you're overreacting.

Maybe.
But I'd rather not have degeneracy in my games period.
Old Divinity games didn't have this shit.

I bought DD then put it off for a very long time because I was afraid of being disappointed again after the last time I got hyped about a NEVER EVER getting ported to PC.
I went in with no expectations and I was still disappointed. The combat was crap and had no flow OR weight, everything felt incredibly dry with no emotion whatsoever like I was just going through the motions no matter what I went out and did. What am I missing?

I haven't seen a thread this filled with stupid in a long time

Welcome to post-elections 8ch

I enjoy the game regardless as I can kill anyone that annoys me.

When did you put it down? It starts getting better after you get to Gran Soren

Combat gets incredibly satisfying after Gran Soren and definitely into the Everfall. getting shield tossed on top of a Hydras head 20 feet in the air and hacking it off is incredibly satisfying. Seriously Hydras are my favourite enemy in the game.

Only problems late game I had is the titular enemy, Dragons, are one of the worst designed enemies in the game. Especially the weak spots on the Ur-Dragons wings next to the shoulders, which my character kept clipping through when I tried to climb on them, but my arrows can't hit from the ground. And that the Wyvern and Griffin in the Northern part of the map Post-Game have bugged behavior which makes it nearly impossible to kill them before they start going up and down into the ocean nearby for some god forsaken reason.

I was able to shoot arrows at all parts of Ur Dragon. You might want to use Terrible Bend or Lyncean Sight or anything that makes the arrow shoot farther or straighter.

I can try again, it just didn't seem like it did damage, unless it's one of those situations where your arrows hit so hard they pierce out the back.
So satisfying.

You can tell if something hits if the health bar jiggles. Other than that, I don't think he takes damage from "dead hearts" or general parts of the body if that's what you were shooting at.

Anything against Ur Dragon isn't going to look like it does much damage because everyone on Steam, PSN, or Xbox whatever is supposed to contribute damage to the enormous health pool.

EH? Seriously DD is nothing like Skyrim. Its more like Monster Hunter lite.

DDs gameplay is it's only good part. The story and world are shit.

You can literally say this about any fantasy game ever and it will be true. Seems like you're just nitpicking for things to hate on.

I played Assassin mainly.
Which vocation stops time?

He's talking about pausing and menuing the heal from items before resuming combat, not the heal from magick or shit like that.

DD is one of "those" games for me. There is a lot of great stuff in there, but also a lot of bad. Total mixed bag of a game.

What about the infinite potions part?
Every item has a weight to it and you don't have infinite carrying capacity. I always went for a light load to move around better.

I let the lezzer die then ate her spirit and gassed the city. Dos2 is good for the stupid shit it lets you do

Plus I get to demonize elven faggots for being cannibals.

He's retarded and never made it far in enough to understand that you can't carry infinite items.

No MH is fucking shit. Go away and take OP with you.
DDDA is good as it is. Too bad they went online so no sequel ever. And it aged really badly.

He didn't mention pawns though?

Is actually the OP.

People who make this assertion seem to think that the Pawns you get from other players online mean the game will be rendered unplayable when Capcom kills the servers, and that a sequel will never come because of the online mode.

Play skyrim and tell me that again.

People think a sequel will never be made because the sequel was made it's just an MMO and will never be translated to English.
members.dd-on.jp
Dragon's Dogma Online is an MMO released in 2015.

Damn nigga you stupid.

AHAHAHAHAHAAHH

Now lets ask the important questions, whats the best mod for DD? Been looking at that one that spawns Dark Arisen enemies in Gransys and making the world more dangerous. is it good, broken or shit?

An actual fucking nigger.

ftfy. If I wanted a waifu game, I'd just play Honey Select or Custom Maid. I don't know what the fuck you're talking about by calling the combat shit. It's like you've never played any of the four magic classes available to you.

you also probably turn into one of these cool niggas when you die

I sincerely hope this is bait, because if it isn't, you are actually the dumbest person to post on a website that's been host to all manner of retards and autists

Jesus fucking christ, I've slept for the last 10 hours and you guys are still falling for his bait?
Check my dubs.

A lot of people find the gameplay of Dragon's Dogma to be the saving grace. I don't understand people who don't like it, it's like disliking how Devil May Cry feels

eventually every game at this rate is gonna be "pozzed SJW propaganda" when one thing like this happens

It gave me a pleasant mix of comfy and CHURAYZEE, I didnt expect much for the 20 bucks I spent on it but I was pleasantly surprised.
I never finished the bitterblack isle though, shame on me.

I've never seen that creature before what the fuck

I get finding the game to not be as good as Holla Forums hyped it up to be but you got to be a special kind of retarded to expect a game being hyped as "skyrim but good" to be like a game that isn't skyrim.

I think the problem is just all you retards thinking every open world fantasy game is copying skyrim

whenever OP is a retard or just pretending to be retarded, he should kill himself and rid humanity of his evolutionary dead end genes ahead of schedule

what is wrong with yuri?

Sure a lot of waifufags triggered here.
So apart from Divinity 2 and Amalur there aren't real alternatives?
Maybe anybody knows about some upcoming open world action RPGs?
I was looking to Elex previously, but it didn't turn out as much "action" as I hoped it to be.

as far as new things? fucking nothing basically action is a dead genre

Monster Hunter World.

Divinity 2 really is nowhere near Dragon's Dogma. I like the game, but its best part is being able to transform into a dragon and have mid air combat that way. Amalur is mediocrity defined. You can have fun with it, and there is a definite feeling that if they had dropped the MMO idea early on and instead focused on what they had, like improving the combat, enemy variety, making the world smaller and more interesting, not having Salvador as a writer, it would have been a better game.

Dragon's Dogma is fucking rad, fuck you
the gameplay is great and would be top tier with polish

Breath of the Wild. Not even kidding.

But sorcerer is the most boring class.

Nigga KoA is a mediocre single player MMO

No, Divinity 2's best part is the writing. The dragon transformation is pretty good, though.

Kill yourself you stupid fucking nigger.

bump

You can negate sage, but you can't negate bump.

Need sauce for titties good user, Saucenao doesn't turn up anything.

Reported for racism.

Pretty weak OP, step up your game

bump

did it break?

LOL