"Where are the videogames?" edition

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Links
>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/
>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY 2ND
Polite reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can (even if it's just your game page)

Other urls found in this thread:

advsys.net/ken/voxlap/voxlap05.htm
twitter.com/notch/status/953899051128418305
puzzlescript.net/
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=56021
archive.is/6pr3v
archive.is/vseSQ
rust-lang.org/en-US/faq.html
twitter.com/skurin_egor
web.archive.org/web/20160731194532/http://www.stepanovpapers.com/butler.hpl.hp/stl/stl/DEQUE.H
8agdg.wikidot.com/love2d
8ch.net/v/res/13774137.html
models-resource.com/3ds/P.html
8agdg.wikidot.com/agdg
twitter.com/reduzio/status/951506991050055680
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_saving#Legality
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Seed_Initiative
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't think that's how you make games.

None of you have a minimap in your games, right? Having minimap instead of requiring the player to develop spatial awareness and navigate your world using landmarks or other environmental ques causes shrinking of hippocampus. You don't want your players to become drooling retards, r-right?

but the soliton radar was fun

Please stop. Everything Holla Forums anons makes fun of becomes real sooner or later.

From the last thread:

I hope you're doing a gud job then and don't forget that we have our own wiki.
I need to get my act together. Between my completely messed up sleep schedule and the thesis I need to write, I haven't gotten around to working on my game lately. What's worse is that I need help after having been disappointed again. The first time I asked a friend of mine who's quite the good artist. He agreed, but had to bail out because the university didn't take him for the second time, his parents told him they won't fund him sitting on his ass any longer and he had to get a job fast. I don't blame him. It was hardly his fault, after all. In a way I'm also thankful, because loosing my artist made me refocus on gameplay (since that's something I could do on my own) and resulted in the (much better IMO) concept that I'm working on now. I'm studying CS and asked one of my fellow students I play games with a lot because he has interest in gamedev. Since I taught myself how to do 3d modeling and texturing myself in the wake of loosing my artist, I wanted him to replace me as the lead programmer. He agreed and I spent some weeks giving him a crash course in Unreal 4. Then he started working in a gamedev studio next town over where some of his friends worked as a part timer. Only 20 hours a week, so that wouldn't interfere with our business. Then he moved over to that town and I haven't seen him since. We still talk and play regularly, but haven't met or done anything gamedev related. I tried to organize meeting with him to work, but failed. What's worse is that he hasn't made any effort of himself, which tells me all I need about his motivation (or the lack thereof). If he would have told me that he bails out because he's been offered a job in an already established studio with a real product on the market, it would have sucked, but I would have understood. Secure job vs. high risk, high reward strategy. It would have sucked for me, but at least it would have been the reasonable thing to do for him.
I have one more guy I talked to. Since he had his hands full with writing his master's thesis (CS, too), I told him to focus on that instead and keep my offer in the back of his mind. I think I should reach out again.
God, why does everything have to suck so much ass?

I want to have a map along the lines of Thief. Just a set of maps with no GPS.

you had one job you fucker

Simplified my camera code, added some new camera panning stuff which is still whatever, and added some new animation tags for screenshake which is also still whatever.

I really enjoy making tiny icons and making up names for weapons

Yeah I do have a minimap, actually. It's a useful feature. I'm sure everyone will enjoy playing your nonexistent game with a nonexistent minimap.

Damn, that looks so good.

I'm working on an SVO-based destructible object system - most of what goes into actually managing the octree is obvious, but I'm drawing a blank on mesh generation. Do you guys have any documentation regarding SVO>Mesh generation?

I've made similar experiences when trying to work on projects with others. I came to the conclusion that if there is no money or contracts involved, there is a 95% chance of the team breaking apart. Probably because not everyone is an unyielding ultra autist like many /agdg/ anons are. Maybe they didn't expect the amount of work or don't understand that we're as hard on ourselves as we are on them. Anyways, i've decided to work solo until i have enough money to pay a team or share the profit.

Too late. This joke is old and it already happened.

My players will enjoy their existent hippocampus

Good to see some Labyrinth.
Don't you think the boss looks a little flat and out of place after he's done positioning himself?
The light in your scene seems to come from high above, slightly to the north, which casts a shadow at the southern walls of the floor blocks and that short round shadow below MC. During introduction animation, boss has nice and proper shadows that fit with the rest of the scene, but when he starts floating, his front is so bright he looks like he's lit from the south.
Pic rel, rough sketch of I mean.

I didn't believe you so i used a search engine with "minimap DLC". How did i miss this? Thank you for reminding me why i haven't bought a new game ever since 2011.

MoM user here, and I was waiting for a the new thread to post this, since I got some news for all yall!
THE MEMOIRS OF MAGIC DEMO WILL BE DROPPING ON THE 29TH JAN 2018
The demo itself will feature the first 1/5th of the game (3-5 hours of gameplay!), all 6 playable characters with 8 player Coop up and running, so you should have a pretty good idea if you like my game or not based on the demo!

I was wondering, despite me releasing my demo earlier then the Demo day thing, I could still include MoM within it?…

Also, this video showcases the final changes to the Mages signature weapons. He uses elemental bouncing balls now which have a variety of effects!

I really like that creature design.

More like you don't have enough pixelshit content to warrant including one.

ty

Shading is a bit tricky in 3/4 perspective because both Y and Z dimensions share the same exact axis. This makes differentiating between height and depth very tricky sometimes. An easy way to cheese it is to make things that are elevated brighter than things that are lower. My goal is often not so much to mimic reality as much as it is to convey the perspective of the game world. The main light source is overhead, but ideally slightly to the south. Hence why leading edges are highlighted.

I think the flatness is probably more caused by how the darkest color of the sprite is a significantly lighter shade than the background, making it seems like it's shallower than it seems. I think it should probably either be the same color as the BG or be transparent so it looks more ethereal/spectral. I think the cape as you've drawn it also makes a bit more sense than as it is now if the light were overhead, and would be better if the lightest color highlighted the most vertical facing portion of the cape.

It's a two-bit imitation of something cooler.

Hey, would it be hard for a newbie to make an Ape Escape-like game in UE4, or like a fangame. I have no C++ knowledge kek

yes it would be hard to do fucking anything if you're a noob.

Learn C++, it's not that hard unless you're a turbotard

Fuck, you're right. Sorry about that.

I doubt anyone will mind if you include a demo you released a few days early, but why not just push back your demo release?

Ape Escape is not too hard programming wise and could probably be done entirely in blueprints, but if you're a newbie you'll most likely have a ton of trouble generating the amount of models and animations that a game like Ape Escape needs.

Fuck blueprints, don't even recommend that shit to anybody. The spaghetti they produce aren't worth fucking with unless you're doing a highly logical, repetitive simple linear task like UI.

why the fuck would a novice start with UE4 instead of Unity?
UE4 is for professional teams or very very very experienced individuals

*saging because I reply as I read the thread and end up making consecutive posts since AGDG threads are slow**

I started with UE4 and it taught me a lot of things, albeit with very tough love. You have to be stubborn to learn things in UE4, but then you won't have to deal with learning two different engines.

I probably will to be honest..
Thing is though i'm especially shit at (geometric) algebra and math, so it might take me like 2 years to learn how to write basic code and that worries me tbh.

because unity has a terrible reputation and if i'm already spending so much time learning, i'd rather go for c++ than c#
even if i started with unity i plan on moving to UE4 anyway so might aswell start with UE4 right?

I figured out how to use Blender and make models so that shouldn't be an issue. All i'd have to learn is how to weight paint properly and make animations, ez

I got the unique dagger icons in for the HUD

I wanna release the demo on my birthday

advsys.net/ken/voxlap/voxlap05.htm contains a lot of advanced tools for Ken Siverman's VOXLAP engine. It can even convert Quake 3 maps into ken's .vxl format. Pic related is q3dm7 converted into voxels. I'm not sure if that's what you meant or not, by mesh generation do you mean that you need voxels to throw at your rendering engine, or do you need to generate a polygonal mesh out of your voxels?

Also, question; how does one go about including a demo for Demo Day?

udk4 is not that bad.
But you will need the power of autism to make a gameplay prototype, there are worse things to start off with like cryengine that one actually gave me a minor headache back when the modding for cryengine 2 was a thing.
If not you could always just go to udk 3,5 if you know how to use it, that is. Also GDC talks are you're friend with tutorials.

You just post it on here and on the wiki, its not very formal

Sounds about right. There are exceptions (otherwise big mod projects wouldn't be a thing), but exceptions are exceptions.
My primary concern is that I'm running out of time. I want to get a demo going within the next half year, because that's when I get my bachelor's degree in CS. I can program, I can model (albeit "only" hard surface modeling), I can texture and I can write. But I can't do everything on my own.

failing exams left and right and here i am doing pointless stuff

If your hippocampus shrinks because of fucking video games, you shouldn't have one in the first place.

Spent way too long fucking around when I started on the menus but they're mostly set up now. Just need to hook up things to apply them and handle text entry for things like address and ports.

The more the merrier MoMdev.

I'd like to hype in your audience hole alot tbh

ape escape quality laid in it's controls and more over it came from a time where there was a shift from controllers without analog sticks to ones with analog sticks. that was the games magic

W-What does that mean, a-user!?

whats the best place to talk about these stuff though?
- this thread
- the agdg board
- hgg version

which stuff?

game development….

It would be more fun to have a regular paper map that you can mark things on and also a magical item that tells you the way in a very general way like Shadow of the colossus does.
Really makes you think.

depends on your objective with the discussion

Conceptually: it might be better here
Programming issues: It might be better on stack overflow or whichever more specific forum you can use, like Unity/Unreal/Godot/etc Forums. But you can still get an answer here nonetheless, faster but not as often

/agdg/ board, make a thread for your game, though it's nice to see progress here too

reddit

This is a more extensive topic than I have previously thought, you will have to be more specific to get a more specific answer

Demo day is just TWO WEEKS away

Also tfw Notch
twitter.com/notch/status/953899051128418305

Did he make 4K runescape?

I'd hate to imagine the controls for K&M

I disagree. After your post, I think that I focused on the wrong thing, it's not the direction of the light. The problem comes from the fact that you break this rule:
The blocks and crystals are way smaller than the boss, yet they have this light to dark gradient, while the boss is uniformly lit from head to toes, despite being very tall.

it means my hype would over flow in your quivering demo

sounds like overblood
skip to 1:13

Is it possible to do destruction like rainbow six siege but on a level that is suitable for low spec pcs?

call me when he have fluid water and a gameplay that can account for that. Otherwise it's just minecraft with better graphics

viewrage is cool, but viewrange is not fun
if viewrange and performance is all that's new, then it's just 4k HD minecraft

there are many good reasons to not to use unity but this is not one of them
when learning to program you are not learning a language, but the concepts, so pick a language that needs you to learn the less in which you can learn the most, once you get comfortable switch for something that holds your hand less.
I'm sure that everyone that tried ride a bike before a bicycle disagrees

wrong
you soon will realize that rigging and animation are disciplines so complete that people go pro by choosing either and nothing else

You have no idea how right you are. I'm more curious as to why he's doing that dithering crap.

I say go straight to UE. Don't bother with unity, it's not a real engine. You can use blueprints in UE to make just about all you game logic without needing to code directly, though there are plenty of C++ tutorials if you want to.

yeah that's the stuff. You know I appreciate good looking menus.

10/10 would stab with

can't wait
standalone release on Steam when?

I dunno, these automaps were a part of Diablo clones since the beginning and I wouldn't want to throw them away. Good old Doom clones had automaps as well, and we all know how convoluted the levels were in those.

maps are ok, and useful (read: necessary) for convoluted, random generated maze levels. By the way, I can program and 3d model/animate and I'd like to work on your game. You never replied in the last thread.

What if he made Minecraft 2 and it attracted twice the autism and money

The map itself is good, the problem is the minimap. It' a bit hard to tell what are doors and what are walls.

I did, bro.

But still, sorry for the late reply.

Don't worry, these can easily be tweaked, pic related is something I quickly made for a friend to prove that point

You did? huh. So what was it?

Nevermind I just read it.

he would shill it first on 4chan and reddit first

Why would he do that if he's already just short of 4 million followers on Twitter? The only thing he needs to do to market his game is post about it on his Twitter

and then others would shill it for him, yeah that's sensible

The moment when the map perfectly overlayed the walls was neat as fuck.

From what I remember from the original article which is now behind a paywall, it's not that maps themselves are bad, it's games that don't require you to think about our surroundings and navigate on your own. Basically games where you can brainlessly go from A to B, so all corridor shooters and games that have GPS quest marks. While Diablo-like automap generates the map for you, the player still has explore and find the way through the maze on their own, so it's hardly brainless.

why some walls are dicks?

Here's how they do destruction. I don't know how low spec your going so I don't know how possible it is to do this for a low spec PC.

As an idea, Path of Exile added an "expanding frontier" that basically showed a blobby region where you haven't explored yet

I have a radeon 4870 and a q6600, haven't watched the whole video yet but I feel it's unlikely

I guess I should be more clear indeed,
I want to revive a defunct project of mine which is basically an hentai game
/hgg/ would be a suitable place, but on my experience, its dead with basically only brain dead newfags joining in to give input and contribution

this is why I thought of, guess the /agdg/ board would more suitable to have a permanent thread,
with this thread for occasional checkups and for when I have troubles,
I use godot too, and in the past they irc was the only place to get help, glad to see anons here also like it

If Notch actually ends up making the game I am making I'm going to get mad. So far the similarities start and end at high LOD voxel terrain, but I swear to god I will fly over to his little gay rich boy house and I will beat him to death with my bare hands.

he'll produce something shit as well as give up after awhile tbh

I just read his Twitter and apparently he's writing this shit in Javascript. I am safe for now.

yeah he only really knows what he knows and isn't willing to venture into newlands. he's been with the same projects for such a long time and gotten no where with them

I remember reading on his old personal website that he did program in C++ once but hated the syntax.

Eh, I don't know, man. He's got money coming out of his asshole, and he likes doing what he likes, I guess. No harm in it. I feel like I can't really shit on the guy because he made 2 billions of dollars simply by being his autistic self, and he's still the same autistic man he was when he made Minecraft.

Which is rare.
Money and wealth usually turn people into assholes or expose for being an asshole the entire time.

Tell him your pet project happens to be the same, and ask for a job.

wew

right so don't worry about things tbh

well tbh I'd imagine alot of faggots who think they have a claim of your wealth just because they did some work for you or some other little thing as such as give you an idea of something and dealing with those kinda fuckers all the time would turn someone into an asshole, not to mention the amount of conartists trying to swindle you to invest in their latest pocket lining scheme

He basically said it was for "aesthetics", but he's making other shaders right now, too.

Best case would be to make your own shit anyways, tell him he's inspirational etc., and hopefully get him to give you a shout out.
5 minutes of him shilling for you can probably do tons more than working for or against him, in the long run. At the very least, it would decouple each of you from being accountable to each other

Having minimap or radar really depends on the game. They are just fine if they serve some other purpose than a crutch for poor design in levels/world. In RTS they serve to turn the focus of the game in to strategy, and some fps games focus on blip radar as a core mechanic.

Fuck that. This isn't just a pet project, it's something I'm going to see through and will release commercially.

I doubt he'd give me a shoutout. I remember him saying that he hates the waves that Minecraft made, and despite the fact that the game I'm making is my "dream game" from when I was like 9-10, I'm sure he'll see it as a copycat.

This looks kinda neat
puzzlescript.net/

Too many Dogoos

Small question:
Anyone knows where this image came from? Is there a version without the text? Preferably one that doesn't have jpeg compression artifacts up the ass. I also faintly remember seeing one for the other seasons, but I'm not sure about that one.

He IS an asshole, just the right kind of asshole.

Nobody's going to make the game you're planning, believe me. I got scared when Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen were announced, only for them to focus on weird stupid shit. Only you can think of the game that's in your head, even if something looks similar at first. Also don't bother writing to him, he must get thousands of messages daily.

Who the fuck cares about that, you do you. Minecraft itself was a copycat.

Fucking why.

Probably because it's an easy way to deliver simple gameplay

I meant it more in the sense of why would someone put so much effort into making that?

Probably a fun project, if you're into webdev.

Javascript has the supernatural property of enslaving every js developer to create every possibly imaginable inane bullshit in it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a js raytracing renderer or a js operating system at this point.

You ought to ask the OPs what are generally faggots and advertisers. I'm just playing Mountain Blade War Bad. It is becoming not humerous for my existence. Like new vidya is required. Attenpting to learn them the game, but they will foever be a bunch of coolies. Yellow or not.

I don't even dare searching for OS

You know whats funny?… a lot of people have been asking me if Memoirs of Magic would be on steam. Surely its not possible to get a free Doom Total Conversion on steam, right?

For fucks sake, they did it.

I might deserve it

Those digits speak for what is necessary. I am sorry, user.

As long as you pay the fee, goy

Mind your tongue. Bayer dithering is what dreams are made of.

I was merely talking within the context of his Minecraft 2.0.

I went over my existing sprites and made a new basic outline. The old stuff lacked definition. I haven't made any characters with the male outline but i'll post them here so you guys can shit on it. In the meantime here's one I just finished off.

from my autistic design notes

The "I" line of defense robots from Boulder Design were marketed towards high end consumers. Intended to guard the elite members of society while also being stylish. They were made to accept a wide range of clothing options, allowing the owner to customize them as they saw fit. The voluptuous design of the robots did however cause the drafting team to receive ridicule in the media, being compared to outlawed self pleasure devices ie "sexbots". The line however was quite successful, but was phased out for "J" line before end of the world. Very few of these robots remain, but many remark of their extremely potent weapon handling ability, and due to their shock absorbing design they can fire even high caliber rifles from the shoulder with ease. Their singular optic allows for great precision, and can magnify up to 30x.

if you guys have any suggestions, i'd be happy to hear them. I'm leaning towards this being the final design but i'll touch some things up.

The double pixel thickness isn't a very good look.

oof

But why would they give them boobs?

The drafting team was very lonely.

Here's some reading material if you want a better aesthetic.

Does anyone know of any good analytical content when it comes to RPG/JRPG battle systems? I want to design such a system for my game and I've been playing and taking notes on other games to get a feel for what to do and what not to do, but I'd like to hear other ideas as well.

It still lacks definition, too many large blocks of the same color

Are you working with anatomical references? Every body part seems to be drawn from a different angle, and the stance seems unnatural.

Just steal from Final Fantasy :^)

All their games do this shit to some variation.
Actually, check GameFaqs, there's usually an autist who's decompiled a game into raw numbers and mechanics. It's a handy resource

It's the legs right? They look strange but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to seem natural. I didn't use any references for this one, I just roughed out a female shaped and worked from there.

He's going for that Picasso inspired art style.

user this is gold, thank you.

Let me help, user. The key is to use a reference for proportions/body lengths, and then to sketch a mannequin for your key poses.

I'm not too concerned over calculating damage values or encounter rate, as that's just part of balancing and just takes time and a bit of effort to get it right. I'm more referring to how different RPG's implement their turns, or the overall flow of an encounter. For example, you could divide most RPG's into two sets: static turn-based queues or expandable turn-based queues. Static turn-based queues are like Final Fantasy, the turn order is determined by speed, and the only way to alter the turn order of the queue is to remove an element (a party member or an enemy is killed). In this kind of turn system your main goal is damage control, where you have a finite amount of turns to do it. An example of expandable turn-based queues would be something like the Persona series or Megaman Command Mission. In those games the turn order is still determined by speed, but you have the option of expanding the turn order by landing crits in Persona or stacking Hyper Modes MMX:CM. This gives you flexibility to play even smarter and damage control to a point where you might win a battle without taking any damage. Conversely, in Persona at least enemies can also use these systems so they can wreck your shit if your not careful.

There's also games like Resonance of Fate where they try and squeeze some free-camera action stuff into turns, which is interesting. I'm hoping to understand what makes these games work and change them in a way that's really cool for such a mechanically stale genre.

They're not right at all. One, the hips are drawn at a strange angle - directly facing the viewer, when the legs look like they're supposed to be angled at 45° or so. Two, the legs have no definition at all, there's nothing that suggests a knee joint or a separation of upper and lower leg even exists. Three, the legs are too close together and in particular the front leg should be more forward. Four, the feet should not be facing the exact same direction. They're angled 30~45° apart in a natural stance. Just try to stand like that yourself, maybe in front of a mirror, and note how you're standing and where your legs are and you'll see they're nowhere near the way you drew them.

But that's not right either, because they used a charge bar for their actions. If you changed to a different party member or delayed actually doing anything, then it would change the effective order. Some games pause while the menu is open to disable that behavior, too.
FF10 was a great example too, because certain actions could delay or alter the turn order

Also holy fuck, C# is .. something

>create a project path and reference path with "[root]/data/dll/" as a folder that contains the orgyball of 3rd party code

I don't want a config file beside my exe. I just want it to look in a folder for a particular dll set, how is this so complicated

Final Fantasy 1-3 didn't use the ATB system. But you're right; even the FF series did shake up it's turn based mechanics from game to game. Personally I think Bravely Default shook up the formula the best, giving the player the choice to build up a turn surplus or debt was pretty cool and allowed for some nice strats.

You sure that C# and not the API's you're working with?

just adding my 2 cents

thanks, this helps a bunch. I'll have to remember to actually do a skeleton instead of being a lazy shit about it.

the knee problem was something I was considering. I was trying to make it look like it thigh high boots, so I wasn't sure how to get the knee to look right. I tried to use a bit of shading but it didn't work very well. I'll just outline a knee under it the right way. Maybe i'll just put a ball joint there like I did on the arm.

(checked)
Yes, because there's lots of documentation about how to create said manifest/config file on both MSDN and SO, but it looks goddamn ugly.

I basically want to have only my exe in the root, maybe a readme or .chtml file, and then a data folder with all my assets

Just use MonoGame

FNA is a more lightweight and open source implementation of XNA. Pretty sure Monogame doesn't support WinXP, either.

Your majesty, you must die

Here's the rest of them
They're really useful.

MonoGame is open source as well and supports XP (though I think you need to find an IDE that supports both MonoGame and Windows XP).

Man, pixel art is fucking tough. No wonder indies just make blocky flat shaded 3d models.

it requires practice, like literally everything in life. It's easier than most forms of art.

For the sake of reference, this was the first thing I made with pixel art and this is something I finished up recently.

Is that an Israeli FAL?

why yes, how did you know?

C# is shit, but if you're going to use anything XNA related why you wouldn't use Monogame is beyond me

Isn't LIKO a pico 8 clone? How is it

My issue stems from C# use in general, not specifically XNA or other framework

Never used C# but surely the language isn't limited to requiring all dll's to be in the same folder as the .exe?

I can drop a particular .xml file in the same folder as the .exe without changing the compiled code, and it suddenly works by pointing to the correct subfolder. I don't want to rely on an .xml file to do so.

I've spent too much time on /k/.
Basic outline, carry handle, shape of the front grip, vents in front of the front gip, wooden furniture. The "Oy Vey" just tipped me off that you knew you were modeling an Israeli gun. You messed up the handle and magazine though.

implementing some new platforms. Pendulums are cool but they were a pain in the butt because the player didn't want to stick to them due to the way I had written the player physics. But some hacky changes to some attributes while the player is on the platform and it all works.

It's not a 1:1 clone but it's definitely in the same boat; the creator ported a number of games/demos originally from pico8. It's FOSS but not finished, but it has less autismal restrictions which was really appealing- hence the size of my sprites. Sound and music systems are not even in yet (I believe he's working on implementing them currently) but everything related to rendering and game logic is functioning.

thas rite

That has nothing to do with C#, dumbass.

That hud has, unless I'm mistaken, three different sizes of pixels, as well as blurred text which looks like nigger aids at that resolution.
The way the rotating pendulum is implemented looks strange too. I can't tell whether you're using NN when rotating the sprites or not, but it looks bloody weird. If you are and it still looks like that, consider only rotating the rope-looking-part of the pendulum and just merely moving the bottom part in sync with it, without actually rotating it.

How come applications can have a /lib folder but I can't?

I'm trying to figure this shit out and it's common enough that it happens with Visual Studio, C# or C++. I just want to make a fucking game

Nah everything is being rendered at a low resolution then scaled up. Many elements of the HUD were designed at a different resolution early on(which is why they are distorted and the text is blurry) and I just have been too lazy to change them so far. Just carry over stuff. I'm not sure what you mean by NN though? I just pivot the sprite around a point right now. The most basic implementation that I could think of.

Also, looking at the final video again, its not very crisp because I had to hack the source video to pieces because 8ch wouldnt let me upload the original webm. I got sick of fiddling with it and shrunk it down in gfycat. Anyone know why it wont let me post webms? I thought the size limit was 16 mb or something.

NN means "nearest nigger"

Oh right. Well to be honest I dont know. I only have like two or three objects in the entire game that rotate. All I've done is render to a low resolution. I haven't done anything personally to control anything like that as of now.

The NN rotation looks great to me, but the fact that that the pendulum has the lighting drawn on is weird when it rotates. I suggest doing what the other user said and have the actual platforming move with the bottom of the rope as a separated piece. If you can stomach the math

Oh I see what you mean with the lighting. That doesnt sound hard at all actually. I just need to split the sprite since currently its one piece.

you can't make this shit up

the filename says it

How have I not heard of this? I loved making shit games with the pico8, having one that gives you more space to work with while retaining the same aesthetic sounds great.

I saw that after the fact.

THE GAY COMMUNITY

I guess we can all agree that meme magic isn't just an arbitrary force anymore, it has become a self sufficient multi-dimensional framework that manipulates our spacetime topology.

Like pottery

I've been told to use Love2D and learn Lua to make my project come true: a very lengthy metroidvania.

But I don't know coding, so I'm here asking where do I begin. You are far more experienced than me so maybe you can game me hints or tips on Lua and Love2D

generic advice: your first few projects will fail no matter how much you try, have fun with it

I still dont get Lua but ive been trying to learn it, slowly. Its a very simple and extensible language and basically lets you assign any data or behavior to objects. Love2D seems very sleek and organized out of the box and it just works

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/

Also I looked at this because I was on a Python research mode, and … I was surprised. Lua itself is slower than Python. Java is half the speed of C, and C# is somewhere in the middle. Javascript is faster than Python and Lua surprisingly.

That said, ease of use is a huge factor, as is distribution and available libraries. Don't implement a game in C when you'll spend years making fratures that are out of the box in other languages, the effort isnt worth it.

In particular I was looking at the Fannkuch-Redux tests, which were the slowest and involved repeated flipping of digits

lmao sad shit.
Maybe I will do a Kirby Pinball clone first so it can fail, and then do my beloved metoidvania

Can I learn Lua without knowing how to code? It will be my first language. Maybe can you recommend me a book to get or a PDF to download? Thanks in advance

Make an even simpler castlevania or mario clone. You can muck around and learn how to handle basic platformer stuff. Or you can do the classics like pong, breakout, or that gorilla game.

The most important thing is logic, and understanding why things work a certain way, as well as how to solve your errors

I will go for the castlevania clone to warm up. My only experience devving was that one time that I picked up construct 2 and made a platformer with one level with Koopas on it; when I jump on them, they became shells and fly down the screen.

So actually learning a language will be a big step for me. I'm lurking for Lua books or documents rn. This shit is happening.

This is extremely misleading because they used the PUC-Rio Lua interpreter instead of LuaJIT, which has both an interpreter hand-written in assembly language and a JIT compiler that are (or were the last time I checked a few years ago) considered the best of all dynamic languages by far, yet they used node.js (which uses Chrome's optimized interpreter and JIT) for Javascript.
Ironically this is the main flaw of Lua. The standard library is tiny and the library ecosystem isn't really there. I eventually abandoned the language because of it. If I was going to have to write everything myself, I would rather do it in C.

I had thought to mention LuaJIT, since I heard good things about it before, but didn't know much.

Oh yeah, also, how is Rust?
Is it free and open source? I've seen it compared to basically "C++ but better", and apparently it runs well

Anything is better than C++.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge

people asked that question and source ports have been tryign to address this.
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=56021
archive.is/6pr3v
archive.is/vseSQ
Steam would let it pass, they only care about the money (100 USD release fee, if I'm not mistaken). Have you seen the shit that gets released? All of the unfinished demo day demos are of better quality.

In all honesty, your mod is so extensive and awesome that I really would consider finding a way to release it if I were you.

Like make a free, public WAD version because this is how mods have always worked but also make a standalone steam release for people who want to support you or can't be hassled to configure the port, maybe add some goodies for them, like a soundtrack or an artbook.

It would definitely be newsworthy, as likely it would be a first such situation. You could get some good money out of this.
but consulting a lawyer just in case would be advisable

Option 2:
Port your mod to a different engine that supports sprites. See: Unity Daggerfall port

Option 3:
use Sigma II

rust-lang.org/en-US/faq.html

This looks like it's very involved, but in a good way. I see that there's SFML and SDL bindings for Rust too, which I guess cements it as a "viable" language to me

Any C++ nerds know of the STL implements it's Deque as an arry or linked list?

twitter.com/skurin_egor

You mean this one? Both are on the wiki.

web.archive.org/web/20160731194532/http://www.stepanovpapers.com/butler.hpl.hp/stl/stl/DEQUE.H

The best option is to start with something and make something simple. Don't make your dream project your first game because you're going to implement things in ass-backwards ways because you won't know better initially. Löve is a good starting option because it's very easy to get going and the novelty in seeing results almost immediately can be a big motivator. Once you start to learn more then you'll have a better foundation to decide whether you're comfortable spending years working with it or if another language or framework interests you or if you'd prefer to jump to a compiled language. 8agdg.wikidot.com/love2d in case you didn't see the wiki has a page on it.

This is like some retroactive meme magic at work, holy shit.

I've been porting my project over from GMS to Love2d with no prior knowledge of the latter. It's all just a process of extensive googling.
You need platformer movement and platformer collision? Either look it up and see what others are suggesting or just break it down into simple ideas (like >press A to go left), and figure out both how to use keyboard inputs and movement.

I will not let you twist my cock again this time, brain. It will be I that will twist your cock.

Have a shitty MSPaint phone. This acts mostly as your flashlight (alt-fire no matter what you're wielding) but it can do some other things too. Primary fire will likely be for taking photographs, reload will be for opening up the message system.

Don't you slow down, asshole. I want to play this on demo day.

wow, really cool.

I'd like to ask THE expert, do you have any opinion or knowledge on this?

Is the photo taking going to be a mechanic with spooky stuff appearing in them?

I thought I remembered a variation of this: (thanks btw)
I made this one quickly. Is it okay?

really cute and comfy. add it to the wiki.

I think we should make our own demo day in the future, perhaps ask clarkes-art for something

I agree. We should have at least four. Ideally the same scene, but stylized for each of the four seasons.

yeah, i was thinking of asking tankdev as well as he posted something like that recently

although if others submitted such art as well, it would be really cool

This is our own demoday? Halfchan's demodays are on different dates, and are weeklong "gamejams."

I like it! Here's those parts as PNGs if you need them.

duh. Did you miss the last one?

fugg >:D
8ch.net/v/res/13774137.html

Noice! I'll upload all of that to the wiki after I'm done writing a new page on how to do high quality recordings for longer videos (trailers on YouTube for example).

doing God's work

I didn't forget shit, you're the one that said "we should make our own demo day", thereby implying our demodays aren't our own somehow.

sorry, brosephine. I meant to write

Option 4: Don't Put it on steam at all. The Most Freeist of free DRM Free Software!

Being on steam does not magically add DRM into your game, user.

yeah, that's awesome too. It's just my opinion that the level of quality of MoM is something that deserves to become a standalone release.

You need steam to run it. Isn't that DRM? Regardless you'll probably have to put it on steam anyways, as they pretty much corner the entire PC market. Even if they gouge 30% of your profits and you lose another 30% to being taxed twice, you'll still come out with more money to put into your next game.

Steam developers have a choice of including Steam DRM or not. If they don't, you don't need Steam to play the game.

You don't need to. and are right. The DRM part is called Steamworks and is completely optional. It's used for the Steam server browser integration, matchmaking servers, achievements, save game synchronization and everything else that's requires a Steam account (for self-evident reasons). Valve doesn't force you to use it though. Project Zomboid is a nice example, because their Steamworks implementation is optional. You can start the game with the -nosteam parameter and it won't use it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he'll miss that 30% cut of the profits of his free game.

A steam release does not guarantee sales or success, that is done by effectively shilling your game across different communities. Even if your game is great and you just drop it on steam you'll probably get nowhere unless you do effective PR which applies to any platform. Try putting it on itch.io Yes I know they're cucks but less kikes than valve or GameJolt and shill it on leddit, try to make connections before your game is even finished and have them disseminate info about your game. Send copies to youtubers that do let's plays of smaller indie games. Start a devblog abs routinely show the cool stuff you're implementing. Get your game out there and don't just expect it being on steam to magically get it noticed. I've seen games on Steam that have around 10 reviews max that have been there for more than a year. Being on a specific platform does not guarantee anything, especially steam which is flooded with garbage.

pic unrelated

If it's free then who gives a flying fuck about having it on steam?

It's not something he'll likely do, though. He's a good boi

Well all I need now is a profile pic for the Doomslayer and his map inventory will be done.
I'll need to get a profile pic for him too, that might be kinda hard.

People who would like to have their game noticed by the estimated 75% of all PC game players that use Steam?

I missed that it was free. Really I was just talking about steam in general.

I don't disagree. Now that valve opened the floodgates for shit all over their platform it's basically like youtube, where there's 100 irrelevant things for every 1 important thing. But you still have to consider shit like. People who wont touch a game unless it's on steam, people who sell keys, etc. Just looking at it if you intend to quit and do it fulltime, you're way better off using steam.

of which 98% is trash.

make something good.

Clothes + Grass!
I will remake the entire model, the clothes are clipping too much because the topology is too shit

Despite many of the communities there being absolute cancer, reddit is a great platform to go to if you've got a game to sell and you've got no prior fanbase. If it's a good game, just posting about it on the gamedev subreddit seems to net people at least 1,000 sales on average. There's subreddits dedicated to reaching out to streamfags and let's players. If you're game has a specific appeal (Like my mecha game project) then you can also shill on relevant subreddits and get those niche bux.
tl;dr - reddit may be shit for communities, but it's great for getting your game out there

That's good shit, man

Anyone knows which is the site where you can download ripped models from 3DS games? I want to download a few more to make references,

Here you go, dude. (Went right to the P section since I figured you were looking for Pokemon models)
models-resource.com/3ds/P.html

just learn to draw bro.

Thank you very much
Nice digits

so is this kingdom hearts with neptunia shit?

oh yea, I missed that grassy goodness
the cloth is pretty nice too

Thanks smugdev for uddating the thread archives. I'll try to upload my own ones.
how's the survival game doing?

just because they can be dicks.

looking better than ever. 'Hacky' changes are bread and butter of gamedev

I thought the same thing **that dev wnet missing just after promising something amazing from what I recall

**>Is the photo taking going to be a mechanic with spooky stuff appearing in them?
ghost butts, most likely

I was about to write "no such thing as too many dogoos" but then I saw the vid. Too many dogoos.

alright /agdg/
I need some figuring out a basic game design thing, I need your help, specially those savvy with godot

at first my idea was to have world generalized from json files, the gdscript would them build the scene based on their type and data, like for example:
{"name":"rome_whitetown","title":"The White Town","type":1,"background":"background/rome_whitetown.jpg""icon":"icons/rome_whitetown.png""info":"The White town is the heart of Rome.""menu": ["rome_whitetown_tradesquare", "rome_whitetown_guild", "rome_whitetown_colosseum", "rome_whitetown_forum", "rome_main"]}

I even had some nifty tricks in place, like for example, everything is loaded up before hand, and the based on the name of the other node it could fetch its title and icon
the approach I've taken, though, was that they were loaded in memory as dictionaries and thus had extensive scripts with checks during runtime to make it work
not to mention that it goes through some mind bending shit for when you want to break uniformity, like custom validity checks and random events

upon thinking of reviving this project I though of taking a more direct approach, since godot is already script based
so lets say a base script for all shared functions, and then the places would be just small text script inheriting from that one with some small data for attribute,
plain text all the the same and easy to read, no biggie right?

Now I'm thinking of yet another approach, which would more in-between the both above,
data files still base json containing data, but during loading process they are formed into actual object nodes as they are in godot
thus making loading process slightly more arduous but overall the running aspect it easier to manage and read,
so they would use the script shared base as above but still be store as json

what do you guys think, which is better and which would be your approach, and of course, why?

That's some great looking grass,i wonder if it tanks the performance though?

Is there a way to add a modifier for animation in graph editor to more than one parameter in Blender? Ideally, a way to add one modifier that affects every animated parameter on a given object? Pic rel for reference, just to be clear what I mean.

I refuse to believe they would make me suffer through adding 100 modifiers, one by one, for every rotation and movement channel and teak them individually on every fucking bone.

But just like Steam Galko is also full of garbage wank created by middle aged men

Never used Blender but in 3ds Max and Maya you'd script when the GUI falls short.

life is disappointments

Does anyone have any documentation of Love2d for Android, or some "known issues" page? I got the game to compile and run all fine, but I'm running into a bloody idiotic issue.

Basically, animations don't really work as they do on PC. See, when the game starts, they don't work, and the game runs at about ~180 fps on my potato phone. The animations don't work until I minimize the game and then bring it back up, at which point the fps drops to 59. I thought that doing that somehow activated Vsync, which would be weird, but I tried to start the game with it already on. The game ran at 59 fps, yes, but still, I had to minimize it and bring it back up.

For curiosity, I tried the game on a potato PC, that hits just around the same FPS as my phone, and the animations work fine. I wonder whether it's an issue with the implementation of a feature of some sort, or the OS itself. It's stock Android 7 that I'm testing it on.
Gonna fuck about more and test it on other phones, but if anyone has any documentation of Love2d on Android, or any features that may be getting in the way, do tell me.

thread archives incoming

we did some stress test and you can have a huge field with several objects, i didn't save the video, have to ask him later.
He made sure to make it very optimized, they are not individual meshes, and the grass simulation runs directly on the GPU, i don't know the details, im the jack of all trades doing everything other than the heavy programming

I think you got me confused with someone else, i am the cooking/faerie dev.

oops

>>>/agdg/30488

Come on man no way half the GamerMaker schlock on steam was made by anyone over 14

yeah, dude, I know do you have the old grass webms with the scythe?.
I thought this might get confusing when I saw how the post turned out.
should have separated the two messages. I have no idea if smugdev is even around today.

sorry

That's kinda hot.

Ok I locaded him.

thanks again for the archives. I added some missing threads.

And thanks for that new tutorial.

Oh, found them on old reports in my devblog

Friendo, what is the gameplay going to be like? Is this like a wheat harvesting simulator?

There will be grass cutting, but will be mostly normal farming style harvest moon
I will try to design the farming more fun, maybe all harvesting will be through cutting, in the worst case it will be a harvest moon with more depth and 3D cel shaded animu graphics

The short of the matter is that, yes, it's possible to get Doom TCs on Steam. From my (limited) understanding, the Steam integration is really just a wraparound for the program, the question is if the engine/assets themselves would be really free to use.
And, well, they are. The engine is GPL 3.0, so while any changes and modifications you make to it also has to be GPL, that doesn't extend to the wads that run in it. Likewise, if you need a base, just grab a copy of Freedoom and bundle with it–Freedoom has been used for Android/Apple game stores where people just take it and bundle it with a free source port for $$$. Scummy, but perfectly legal.
Mind, this is completely untested ground, nobody's actually done it before. So there's bound to be something that pops up that blows up in someone's face, but theoretically it should be entirely viable. Still, that's what I'm hoping to find out once I release this bitch.

If you had asked me a couple days ago, I would have said yes.
The idea is that as you visit other worlds, you can't really carry stuff with you because they get dropped along the way. If you take pictures of items, though, they become "yours" and you can carry them from world to world.
A neat idea on paper. In practice, though, this ended up just adding a whole bunch of busywork to an otherwise-normal sequence of hitting use everywhere on a room to fill up your inventory. It's clunky and unintuitive and unfun. So now primary fire just is a flash of light and a camera sound that does nothing, which I'm not happy about.

no it isn't, its the exsact opposite, you can make a game without writing one line of code

alright shit, I finished fixing the legs as best I could, it still looks a little off but I don't want to spend the rest of my life on this shit.

AAAAAAAAAA

8agdg.wikidot.com/agdg
thread archive complete

Sounds promising. Will trees grow slowly too?

Doing better. Remember to focus on game logic more than graphics.

Yes, the tree system will be made after my bro finishes the grass (still need to allow for different grass types on same area, so we can do sparse flowers and shit), also grass will drop as hay blocks when cut.
The trees will grow a bit every ingame day, most will take a month to reach adult stage, you will be able to chop them down too.

I've seen that it hasn't been updated in a while and did it myself.
Well, I haven't done anything in about a month because I had my hands tied with a thesis I have to write and I also seriously messed up my sleep schedule. Anyway, I need to talk to a guy I meant to talk to about it, since I need help.
Still a work in progress. For people who have no other video editor and have never used Blender as one, I'm going to add a crash course.
I also updated the demo day page with new pics. Although I should point out that someone seems to have left a draft without applying the changes and I overwrote it. So if you edited the page today, you might want to check it out.

If thats true, I will truly consider looking into it for the full release.

Speaking of which, taking content out of the demo so people can't datamine it is a pain in the ass, yeesh

I'm trying to replicate the style of old DOS games, any tips and tricks for that?

I have no idea how to program. I can do pixel art and I can play instruments but every time i've tried to pick up programming it just confuses and irritates me. I'm not very math oriented. I would just work with some friends to get it done but

So i figure i'll just do the rest of this shit and once I have a portfolio that's complete enough i'll entice some programmer to help me out. I'll probably need another artist to help me out though at some point, but right now my goal is to make fully featured sprites.

The Color palette is pretty important for that, including a lot of detail. You could probably get away with actually doing stuff hand painted on your favorite art software, and adjust the number of colors and differing from there.

code is easier than art, but you need to have strong logic fundamentals, you can start by tryint to review high school math and try to code in C# or Java and make small 2D games until you slowly understand it.

Google "divide and conquer technique" "recursion"

Start by watching the SICP course on youtube.

what kind of DOS games nigger? When most people think of DOS they think EGA graphics, that's your classics like commander keen. CGA is the challenge mode graphics though, think ultma 2 or lemmings in CGA mode. VGA graphics would shit like ultma 7, that's easy mode.

now you're probably saying to yourself

that's not at all the case though. The goal is to take an extremely small set of colors and try to make that look like a recognizable shape. EGA has 64 colors so it's a little easier, but CGA only has 16, which is surprisingly difficult. If you want an example just look up "CGA graphics" and look at the shit that comes up. Bottom line though, it would be impossible to emulate actual DOS graphics because they were rendered at very low resolutions for 4:3 displays, which just wouldn't look good on a modern monitor. As long as you religiously follow the palette you can make something that approaches it at least.

Low resolution CRTs literally look like upscaled low resolution with no filtering, pixellated with perfectly rectangular grid.

CGA is misunderstood. Both pics are CGA, the second one is CGA on an RGB monitor (what people think of when you say CGA) and right one is CGA on a composite monitor.

Second pic didn't post for some reason.

I'm thinking classic Sid Meier, North and South kind of shit. You know, the classy ones.

Thank you, I do know that the palette is a big factor in all of this. I also noticed that anti-aliasing used to be a huge thing for the shading.

Fair enough. I respect your initiative even though you can't code or art very well yet.

There are ways to make games without programming. UE has these "blueprints" that really are a way of programming without coding, very beginner friendly. Their website also has plenty of tutorials on this stuff.

For anyone listening to this advice, choose C# over Java. Learning Java at this point is like getting into flash websites.

Lower color palettes are a challenge to do right, since you have to be smarter about each color, much like low res pixel art, where every pixel matters.

EGA had 16. You could select from a 64 colour palette if using the 640x350 mode, but I don't know of any games that did.
CGA had 4 colours, with 3 palettes that could be light or dark and a selectable background/border color.

While you're not wrong, that trick doesn't work without a real CGA card and monitor, so emulating it is pointless. Similarly, demoscene tricks (while still really cool) are irreverent when talking about the style of actual games made at the time.

I'm not dead! I haven't posted in a while since all my progress has just been on rewriting the collision code and refactoring the player's state machine. About a month and a half of work to get everything to look exactly the same. But functionally it's better, and I'll be able to progress a lot faster now.

I also spent last month doing nothing but learning 3D modeling so that I could make a new model. The new model both has more detail AND has about half the polygons. It also has feet, instead of just the toe things it had before. Somehow I didn't realize feet were necessary until I tried to animate the old model.

The8bitguy explains it beter than I probably could. You should watch the entire video, but 6:32 actually shows the CGA on a composite monitor.

Absolute garbage, ofcourse.

I've seen it before, It's good shit.
But if you're making a CGA styled game in 2018, you're gonna want to ape the RGBi modes and not the composite modes since people just don't have composite outputs and TVs anymore.

Good to see you're still alive.

Obligatory post.
But in all seriousness, I wonder how it is (community aside). Never got around trying it out, because I'll learn Python next so I can write plugins for Blender.

Pure. Cancer.

what a poor video by someone that doesn't understand the concept of "comedic timing"

Taking a break from my voxel autism, and having fun fleshing out the lore, nature and such. Here's some spookums for you guys - comes out at night and attracts people by making baby sounds. Got an idea for a good name?

Frank.

do you want nicknames for it?

call it a Niba

Crybaby
Waaaambulance
The Ablublu

honestly im not even mad

Anitaquinn

describe how it acts and if there's any folkstorys about it

Quinnita

spoopy

Does it do anything else other than cry to lure people in and kill them? You called call it something like "Crimic"

Crimic is it then, its decided!

I was thinking of an insect-like predatory behavior. I like imagining walking towards the source of the sound and seeing this lanky, menacing thing look back with these shiny beads, but not attacking unless you stumble too close. I think the scary bit about it to me is this automated, streamlined predatory behavior, as though it expects you to just come close enough for it to grab you, but not taking the first step simply because it's so used to being successful at what it does.

Ultimately though, I'm going to have to think of generic, roaming behavior for when it's not hunting. I think it has a potential of being that much more scary if it is believable.

That's a little on the nose don't you think?

no, think about it like a old grandma telling her grand kids a tale about it next to the fire

user, I'm not a good storyteller, really.

Give it good camouflage too
So you can end up walking into one when its not hunting and your brain goes "dude that is not a tree trunk" and you freeze as the thing slowly turns it's face in your direction and stares until you fuck off, or it gets bored and leaves on it's own, but it needs to walk away with its head turned backwards to stare at you the whole time.

Also it could have another type of behavior: if you turn your back at it while it is staring at you, it chases you

Oh man, yes. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about - drone-like, streamlined behavior optimized to deal with humans. The last thing would come off as too close to Slenderman though, I think.

I am looking into procedural vegetation generation as well, actually. Just saw this neat algorithm called "wave function collapse" that spits out randomized patterns based on a single template, and it looks really fucking cool. I think it's less about making the monster blend in with vegetation, and more about making sure the vegetation is random enough to let the monster blend with it.

How well suited is Godot for a game with minimal graphics but a lot of menus?

Most monsters/cryptids are just named something similar but in the respective language where they appeared, just something descriptive of their behavior or appearance. It has the mantis like appendages which is somewhere a name could come from, the crying lure, the other tendril things almost like a parasitic worm, and that almost cat/dog like smile with the slit in the center so it could come from that. If your game is based in a certain location then you could look for translating some type of native language which would make it sound a lot better.

For idle roaming behavior, it could travel through the treetops very slowly. Something about how it can almost silently travel through the trees which is how it hides while moving. If you like that automated response thing, you could make it so that if you manage to spot it and shine the torch at it, it freezes in place and just stares at you, but after 5-6 seconds it'll start crying without moving an inch other than it's mouth, but then I guess you need to tack on some type of attacking mechanic to it so if you encounter it like that twice it's not like you know it's harmless.

This is really, really fucking good. Getting chills thinking about it, so creepy.

My source of inspiration for the setting is Icelandic-ish, so I might come up with a nordic sounding goobledeegook name for it.

I haven't used it much myself, but Godot's gui tools are top notch from what I've seen.

my thoughts on the matter would lead me to tell a tale about a woman

Yeah, Godot has a decent library of GUI classes right out of the box, it was one of its original selling points before it started focusing on a modern 3D renderer.

I really hope this spooky game is ready for the february demo day. Seems fun.

That is fucking creepy.

It's just the APIs you're working with mang, and that you're lacking knowledge about what's available to solve your problem.
There's a super simple solution: add FODY into your project- it will clean up all of your resources.
I had the same issue in a C# project for work, like 100mb+ of DLLs for various dependencies we needed were flooding the build directory next to the EXE. Add on top of that tons and tons of stupid XML files as well.
Just including the NUGET package for FODY adds a buildstep for packing all of the required DLLs and other resources into the built exe. It also compresses it, you'd be amazed at how well IL compresses.
The final built exe for that project was only 14.5mb.
I just did a quick test with just the biggest dependency we used- Microsoft Azure (and all of its dependencies)- and look at this bullshit.
Takes 20mb of DLLs and resources and packs it into just a clean 3.2mb exe.

Sorry for being a bit long winded, but it was such a big issue for me, that cleaning it up saved me tons of time and headache doing deployments, so I'm eager to help when other people have the same issues.
C# itself is a great language, but lots of people try to use it as a java-y version of C or C++ and subject it to the same DLL HELL that made those languages unbearable.

I just remembered what this reminds me of

how to ruin the mood add orange lighting

oh what the fuck why didn't it copy the whole image. what are all of these transparent pixels?

I'm curious about this, what makes orange lighting bad? I think it can work in the same sort of surreal sense that red lighting can work.

Orange and brown are the same hue.

orange lighting isn't bad, it's not the correct lighting for that kinda thing

orange and brown are the least liked colors by humans across all cultures.

I wonder if that stems from a primal fear of rot or fire

this lecture talks about the psychology of color.

Thats actually really neat. I can understand brown for sure, but I've always liked orange quite a lot. Makes me think of fall, Halloween and all that good stuff.

Fix it, please.

Weird. For some reason blender wont show the edge that's there when you're in object mode, but in edit mode it shows up.

What do people use to make materials? I'm trying out Substance Designer and I'm blown away, but I'm wondering if there's a free software solution.

And sunsets. Sunsets = imminent dark = predators. The proto-humans who liked sunsets were wiped out.

Draw All Edges

What is the best engine choice for a Top-Down 2D JRPG, similar to Rune Factory? I would like to keep it simple. I have experience with Game Maker (Though not the new one whatever it is) and Unity though only with 3D shit in that. What are choices I should look into?

Probably Gdevelop.

can anyone reply before thread expires?

So I put this thing into UE4, it looked fine with the textures and all but I got an error code saying I need to rebuild the light, did that but then it gave me another error saying that the UV maps overlap for 98,9%.
And then i tried out all of the UV mapping options on Blender, it fixed the overlapping issue but now it looks like shit, not even UVmaster on Zbrush fixed it.

what do??????????

You need two UV maps. One for textures and one for lightmaps. You can let Unreal generate the lightmap UVs automatically for most meshes. For that you need to open the mesh in Unreal and setup the source and destination lightmap UV indices. You want your texture UVs to be at 0 and your lightmap UVs to be at 1.

I've been bored.

That reminds me. Did anyone want the resources for that alternative CC0 logo from a month or two ago added to the wiki?

As a new jabroni just getting in to game dev, should I use GameMaker which has a simple language that's fairly easy to learn but doesn't have much use outside of GM, or should I bite the bullet and start learning a normal language? Not a programmer at all, I'm a musician but I won't make the dream game sitting around and waiting for an artist and programmer to show up

of course. essentially anything relevant to us should appear on the wiki.
damn I remember the whole discussion back then

I'm indifferent to it. Seems like we're using the old one anyway. Then again, doesn't make much difference if barely anyone actually releases a game.

There's a few devs that have migrated from GM to other things, so they can probably tell you if it had any impact on their ability to learn other languages. My guess would be that it would be fine to learn some basics with it then move on if you feel the need.

It was a fun thread. I remember hesitating because some people didn't want to be associated with it and I was worried it would look like I was trying to push it as replacing the old one.

I didn't really enjoy it tbh. not because I don't like the design. It's breddy gud and I wish we actually decided on using it. It was a time when random (1)s kept trying to provoke us and kept shitting up the threads.

Yeah, the thread was autistic af. And unnecessarily so.

My memory's pretty bad, I just remember all those tasty (you)s. Then again it would probably need to be worse than old cuck/agdg/ threads to really stand out to me because goddamn could those get bad. Didn't someone mention a few threads ago that Googum et al are still shitting up the place over there?

I don't care about you guys but I'm still hiding this somewhere in my game.

Jiggly Jiggly

Nobody argued that anyone else couldn't or shouldn't use it, just that it shouldn't be pushed like it was official in some capacity.

What's with the blasphemy?

Can someone please FUCKING explain dual contouring to my stupid ass? I've bumped into math papers describing the algorithm using scary formulas that I can't fucking read, but I've yet to see a layman, down-to-earth explanation of the way this shit works given an octree grid.

I imagine that he's trying to censor the tiddies and is being coy about it, but blasphemy is hot yo

Blessed images

Now that's just missed potential

trying to get the helmet look good and polished, I might have to buy one to actually see what its like to wear

I wrote an algorithm that optimizes tiles' bounding boxes by merging them with nearby ones during map's initialization. This speeds up collision physics.

depends on what kind of helmet you need. got any pics?
Great to see you post.

I'm amused and offended at the same time. Still, while the shape of the boobies will require work, the jiggle is pretty cool.

so what kind of performance boost is it?

>implying the Kruszwica-style version won't be on the Beelzebox splash screen.

it sounds like you found an excuse to not just like make game, pick the one that requires the less from you and keep making game

It reduces the number of objects that need to be tested for collision. For example, if 100 nearby tiles use the same kind of bounding box (e.g. floor of a 10x10 room), instead of having 100 collision boxes the engine produces one big collision box.
The actual performance gain will depend on the map itself, as well as the number of other dynamic entities and particles that require collision testing.

let me ask you guys something, you know that prime(¿) number trigger validation thingy?
I mean where you have several true/false checks within the same number,

like for example if if you have three checks
A 0-1
B 0-2
C 0-4

so when you sum them up, the combination can only be unique for each trigger, like:
5=AC
3=AB
6=BC

does anyone how this is called? and how to smartly implement it in code?

Isn't it called a bit field or bit flag or something?

its not about that, its more about that riddle in development to abstract on everything
because generally you shouldn't hard code anything, the abstraction actually helps keeping code clean, reading and making changes
on the other hand when you overdo with abstraction it can get to a point where its counter-productive
anyway, I will go with the third option there, I just wanted someone else's input

needs some shine around the rims, video is for blender, but the theory is mostly correct and can work everywhere, also the theory lasts about 14 min, you can skip the rest

Watched this lecture recently, gave me a boost of confidence and convinced me to stop caring about building an ECS. Maybe it will motivate some lurking nodevs like it motivated me

i havn't decided on the helmet shape yet

its not actually 3d modeled its just a transparent texture on a cylinder, I want it to be on the screen but not take up to much eye bandwidth if that makes sense

I might just cut shapes out of paper and cellotape them to my face instead of buying one

you should use a binary tree of bounding boxes, this should speed it up significantly as well.

okay, it is called bit flag, thanks for that
after some research, I was checking how sensible it is to use these,
in godot for example, you could use bitwise operations to help it, but I'm not sure about checking it

What features from C++17 do you desperately need that you need a tutorial for?

stunning advice.
Might as well tell people to file->open tutorial file in Unity. Bam! You got game! Good job fags.
sjw cucks. into the trash
He's speaking to an empty room, isn't he?

Why do you need a tutorial for SDL2? Just include the headers, link to the library, and go.

all the SDL2 tutorials are written in C++98

There's loads of bit fiddling tricks that have popped up because of C.
Please realize that while bitwise ops can be fast in some language, they are a liability in others; in particular, I've heard soft-typed languages can suffer from overuse because of their implementation of dynamic typing. However, when you use it right, they are fast (for example shifts left or right can be faster than 2^n multiplication or division)

Let's assume you have an enum type, Direction, and a variable called "d".
[Flags]public enum Direction : byte{ None = 0, Left = 1, Right = 2, Up = 4, Down = 8}// InitializeDirection d = Direction.Up;// Set a valued |= Direction.Left;// Clear a valued &= ~Direction.Left;// Check if a value has been setif ((d & Direction.Left) > 0) { ... }// d is equal to Left|Up, or "5". It's bitfield looks like 0000 0101 and// is being compared against a byte of 0000 0100// Check if a value has NOT been setif ((d & Direction.Up) == 0) { ... }

There's lots more information on the subject, like how you can combine fields with | OR, or casting a value like (Direction)(137) and having it interpreted as that number.

This had better be the OP for next thread

Bit flag type stuff has existed since assembly. When have bit shifts ever been "slow"?

It's more intuitive to set things like this:
#define TEX_MIPMAPPED (1

I've always liked using hex notation to set the values, eg SOME_DIRECTION = 0x0040

I guess your way makes sense though

twitter.com/reduzio/status/951506991050055680

Why live?

Are there any shitpost videos of someone taking a render target / canvas / dynamic texture, drawing the scene to it, but then replacing an entire character's drawn model texture with said texture? I want to see how retarded it would look

It's afraid

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_saving#Legality

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Seed_Initiative

Why don't you make it yourself?

He's right about this. Game engines live off money, and Unity / Unreal are at a similar complexity level to massive operating systems: You can't beat them at their own game, but only try and be better than them at very specific things that they cant afford to focus on.

That applies to new, lab created species. Nothing wrong with that.

where did I say slow?

I got your example and that would be pretty much the same when working with godot variants (with constant instead)
I even understood how to do some bitwise operations

however I didn't get how to do a check against that bit number,
for example checking ( 1101 == 0100) would definitely not check out
your example might work since its just a bitwise operation, I'm not sure if would check valid on godot though (it has C backend)

Except that seeds can naturally spread, so sometimes smaller farmers end up with patented plants and get their asses sued off by big corps like Monsanto.

I'm sorry, I meant to reply to and didn't realize my mistake. So, my post doesn't make sense in its original context.

The way you check bits is just with &, so 1101 & 0100 is 0100, which is nonzero, which is true. You can never use the equivalence operator when checking bit flags unless you want to verify that all bit flags are exactly equal. So, for the variables that you use bitwise operators to pack information into, you have to also use bitwise operators to extract information from. So, its a whole other way of checking flags than what you can do with the boolean operators like == , &&, and ||.

This is also a lot more expressive, for example:#define FLG_A (1

AFAIK, languages such as Lua either don't support it, or implement all their numbers as floating points, so it becomes redundant or difficult to work with bitflags in that particular instance.

I know OP asked for Godot specifically, but since knowledge is generally transferrable between languages, it would be a mistake to be naive

That looks like a very useful tool.

Unfortunately, my environment uses VS Express C# 2010, which doesn't have the NuGet stuff built into it. I managed to find the separate command line .exe but I have no idea where to put it or what to do with it

I manually downloaded the FODY nuget package from the site, and put both the .exe and package in the root directory of my solution; then, I ran "nuget install fody" from the command line, and I think it just downloaded it from the remote server anyways.

I can add a .dll reference to my project, but it obviously doesn't do anything. I tried "fody" as a postbuild event and got an error that it depends on a .net version that doesn't actually exist.

I'm the one who did it and I look for "autumn pixelart" in google.

I looked into GDevelop, but it seems sorta… Shitty? Everything I see of it seems like a slightly worse Gamemaker, I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for now. Can anyone here attest to it or something?

creating new species is relatively rare (ghost pepper would come to mind and I don't think those are tramarked). Trademarks are applied to most if not all new cultivars and varieties, whether or not they were created in-vitro and through genetic modification. I agree it's not much of a problem, the R&D that goes into that is mindboggling.

While I hate the EU gulag like any other farmer, their policy against GMOs seems to protect us from such blunders. You can save seeds of trademarked crops but fixed licencing fees apply. Otherwise it's "piracy"…

I kinda think all GMOs should have suicide genes built-in.

I only suggested it because it's 2D only. If you don't mind doing some initial setup and scripting use Godot 2 (or 3).

Lua 5.3 has both bitwise operators and 64-bit integers. Although LuaJIT only has the former implemented.

its true I was asking for gdscript really, but I think it should work based on having bitwise operators and whatnot

btw, gdscript is only base on python syntax, it doesn't mean they share any functionality or backend mechanics

thanks user, I think I got the hang of that much better now
overall the checking between your two examples really wouldn't make that much of a difference
BUT, using bitwise operations gives freedom to much more complex possibilities

whats the deal with godot 3?
from what I've seen the stable is far back 2.1 or something,
and even the git didn't seem to be far ahead

3 added C# compatibility
sadly it doesn't run on my laptop since you need to be above a certain version of OpenGL

And a whole new rendering system based on PBR. OpenGL ES 2.0 is being backported.

Page 13, have another fuckup thread:

Version 2.1.4 was released in August, while 3.0 was approaching alpha. The version numbering is based on the importance of the changes made.