Boxart Thread

Why is the US the only region not to get the better boxart? It's pissing me off so badly. It seems the JP and EU versions have more value as collectibles.
Which versions do you guys prefer?

Other urls found in this thread:

pixiv.net/member.php?id=290991
legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-11
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We should filter the word box

why?

It's his trigger word.

Mark gets triggered anyone dare insult glorious Nintendo. Bet you 20€ he's buying that fucking cardboard. Love how all the threads discussing it are locked, anchored or deleted. He even locked a thread about the console itself, not the fucking cardboard.

Inferior

I'll bet you 80

Isn't that the cost of a professionally made cake?

That "thread about the console itself" was obvious cuckchan console wars, don't even try to defend it.

Nigga there's one and a tonne of locked, deleted, or otherwise anchored threads that have no effort put into them made over and over again essentially flooding the board. Basic fucking chan etiquette: keep it to one thread.

For the longest time, Capcom's EU Mega Man box arts were utter shit compared to their American counterparts, which were only a bit worse than the Japanese ones. They never got to Bad Box Art Mega Man-tier, but they were fucking grating on the eyes.

I don't know, I'm really partial to the nip box art for Rockman

Hi Mark. Unfortunately not everyone who doesn't defend Nintendo valiantly like you do is cuckchan. All of the reasons were pretty valid too, it does indeed have shit hardware and the battery life is abysmal (and will get worse over time, as lithium ion batteries do,) and it does also does have a bunch of gimmicky bullshit that won't improve your experience in any way.

That one thread was also bumplocked so less people could see it, so less people could shit on Nintendo (and Mark, knowing he'll buy anything with Nintendo printed on it) for selling literal cardboard.

Speaking of Capcom, NA Ghost Trick's cover is certainly better than the PAL one.

You're right that I undervalued the difference between the Nip and US design, but at least it's not Europe. What's with the trend of just sticking the main character against a colored background in Western countries? Is it apathy, laziness, or do they actually think it works?

We had stickies about it you moron.

FACE DOWN ASS UP DASS DA WAY WE LIKE 2 FUGG!

PAL and JP are cool, but US is the only one that actually depicts anything that's in the game accurately.

Man I love that artist

pixiv.net/member.php?id=290991

To be honest, the boxart for the burger edition of killer7 is the best looking.

Yeah. Stylized covers are always cooler though. The back could always be used to show what the game is like.

I didn't know I wanted a timesplitters anime.

To bad these days back covers have room for maybe three screenshots and a line or two because a third of the fucking space is eaten up with credits and rights explanations and every description line has to be in multiple languages.

you a funny guy

So import? The big Euro webstores will deliver in the US.

Make some faux american boxarts for funny.

Blame Canada
legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-11

Anything Atari is usually fantastic.

Blame Quebec actually.

I always wondered. What's with the Japanese thing of making one letter in a word a different color?
I assume it's lost in translation but i still don't get it.

Seems kinda random even in Japanese.

Well the word Death(死) is highlighted so I guess it's for impact?
Why on earth the glottal stop(ッ) is, your guess is good as mine

you think that's mindblowing?
look at the face of the soldier in the middle

It almost looks like its the monster holding the lantern.

here is a cool boxart

I like this one better

If you look at it from the thumbnail it looks like the 2 are sitting on a couch and the monster is with his arm around the person making the nu-male open mouth thing.

Obviously not worth the price tag but that piano is a cool idea.

It's not just the "D" in the cover's "Detective" (which looking at seems to have been a western subtitle anyhow; I'd wager the red letter in the original could be equated to the "C" there):
Now, this might be a bit of a stretch as the game's title letter doesn't fit the rest, but what can all three of those spell together?

With Atari, the box art was usually better than the actual game itself.

There is one game that has a fantastic NA cover

Couldn't give a good answer for anything in the past. Now? Maybe it's because so much is sold digitally, so who gives a fuck about cover art, right?

Also i didn't discover it it was AVGN
BUT

that's a fucking x-wing, you can even see r2d2 in there

More reason I'm only playing the first 2 games.

the jap one was the best

American Kirby box arts are always better.

Fun fact: Perfect Dark's original title was supposed to be called Red and Black in Japan, but ultimately they stuck to a transliteration of the original name.

How about when America gets the better title, though?

Clearly your forgetting the best box art of all time

The word for death is japanese is 死, which is pronounced shi and the word trick is トリシク
シ is pronounced shi, like the word for death, as youve noticed the D in detective is highlighted red probably because D is for death

I still have no idea what their endgame was with that boxart.

To get customers' attention. Phalanx on its own was a fairly run of the mill space shmup, so Kemco was willing to do anything to get people's attention in order for the game to sell. Since you didn't see a farmer playing a banjo looking at an X-wing everyday, it seemed like a profitable idea. also you probably couldn't use the Japanese boxart, at least not in places like Toys R Us

If that were the only reason, then they could have at least used the x68000 version's boxart. music in that version is way better anyway

Japanese Sonic box art is a hundred times better than other regions.

That japanese box is rad. Why red and black though? Also PAL box is complete shit.

The USA Super Metroid art will always make me salty.

Because Red and Black was going to be the Japanese name before it was decided to keep it just transliterated as Perfect Dark. The cover reflects the original Japanese name.

I was looking through my PS2 vidya earlier and something that struck me was how full of personality the rear boxart of some of the games were, these two in particular. I'm sure there's still stuff like this being made today too, but I can't remember the last time I saw a back cover as expressive as these two.

I remember when ads were fun

Pretty sure that's a ッ on the JP cover for "Trick" and not a シ, so that doesn't quite work.

>(((Cybershell)))