I notice that Crash Bandicoot and Donkey Kong Country are really similar to one another...

I notice that Crash Bandicoot and Donkey Kong Country are really similar to one another. They're both the same genre of arcade platformers that focus on an obstacle course kind of philosophy, the jungle settings, wooden containers are important, the usage of characters to serve as health icons, and how they were innovative at the time in computer related fields (DK for 3D sprites and Crash as one of the first 3D platformers). Currently playing Crash 1 and I'm remembering how much I love this type of arcade platforming. Don't turn this into console war shit, but which do you prefer. I'm beginning to think the first three Crash has more to offer than the first three DKC games, but below the Retro games. DKC has the better soundtrack though, but I still love Crash's OST as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Im still mad they ruined the Crash remaster and made platform jumping nearly impossible.

Some of the things you mention are just tropes of the mascot platformer genre. I've never played Crash Bandicoot but I have a lot of respect for its developers, it would be fascinating to see exactly how they leveraged LISP in its development.

Woah!

Donkey kong country does not have an obstacle course kind of philosophy, unless the minecart sections are somehow representative of the whole game to you.

I noticed OP is a cock swallowing bastard.

Can the remaster be modded?

I still play the originals I just wanted to see them remastered. Sue me.

So you're saying Crash is totally derivative of other platformers of the time, particularly DK and Sonic? That's correct.
it's still good, tbh.

You don't say? I think they pretty much started the whole project by trying to make their own 3D version of Donkey Kong Country. The influence is pretty obvious.

The reason why I like Crash compared to many other games of the same era is because it feels as fluent as 2D platformers with the rail camera that follows the player. Games with super mario 64 style of free camera movement just feel a bit awkward for me. I did enjoy games like spyro back then but still I liked the camera on rail style better.

Someone posted a dev diary of Crash 1 a while ago where the devs explicitly mentioned they took inspiration from DKC. Can't remember the link though.

SM64 had a very direct effect in the history of platformers in how it opened up what was essentially a new genre of a 3d platformer focused on exploration than skill. Not to say that it was definitively the first 3D platformer that wanted you to explore or that no games would have done this without Super Mario 64, but it's clear that many games would have been more similar to the platformers of older generations had SM64 not been made the way it was. Crash did the opposite and was clearly heavily inspired by older platformers, including DKC.

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

I don't get why some PSX games (e.g. Crash, Spyro, CT) render in that god-awful aspect ratio, anybody here know why?

I really like Donkey Kong Country's setting over Crash's. Crash Bandicoot takes place on an island which is, pretty much, just a big boulder that he doesn't even own. DKC, on the other hand, tells it's entire story through its world map: Donkey Kong is the ruler of his own Country (hence the name) and he decreed his subjects to sculpt a gigantic bust of his image out of the national mountain. However, a colonialist corporation from a foreign country has besmirched his monument by building an industrial park on its scalp and he must enforce his country's right to self-determination by repelling the invaders.

the remaster physics while flawed is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be and in many ways its better then the originals.

Why does Crash have a tail in that pic?

oy vey who is zat shone froy?

It's supposed to look like pics related, but emudevs are retards.

the nose knows

ayy yo hol up u be sayin' DK was literally Hitler, and he told the (((kremlings))) u do not plunder our people?

Well, yeah, it's no coincidence that 'Kremling' is one letter removed from 'Kremlin.'

Shit adds up with the (((Banana Republic)))

>(((Banana Republic)))
More likely fits as a third world shithole, where you can rape children and get away with it.
PACK YOUR SHIT AND VISIT THERE

Because increasing the rendering resolution even on a single axis improves the visuals enough to be justifiable without tanking the performance as much as increasing it on both, there's also probably some issue where you couldn't fit the whole framebuffer and every texture in VRAM (you only get 1024x512) if you did go with 640x480
The internal rendering resolution isn't mean to be the output anyways and you have to go out of your way to see it so why would you care?

How bad can you possibly be at a video game?

The physics are very slightly different, but it's really only noticeable in a couple parts. And only if you're mega autistic and can play the originals by muscle memory. Which I am. But when the most noticeable thing is that it's harder (but not at all impossible) to cheat on the bridge levels in Crash 1 by walking on the ropes, it's really nothing to complain about. The fact that Relic challenges and playable Coco were added to the first two games more than make up for it.

Mario couldn't figure out how to translate its 2D gameplay into 3D, and they ended up making something very different that just happened to have the Mario name and aesthetics. Crash tried to translate the level design philosophies of things like Sonic and DKC, and it was great. But then the "open world" trend really caught on by the PS2 gen and now people shit on Crash for not having obstacles that you can just walk around.

Crash Bandicoot has the same sort of level progression. Cortex bought his own island to do experiments on, and Crash jumped into the sea and washed up two islands away, now having to make his way back. So the first island is completely free of Cortex's influence, because it's the furthest away. The boss isn't even one of Cortex's minions, he's just the local tribe leader. Note that he wears on his head a mask of the same sort of design as Aku Aku and Uka Uka, because the obvious implication is that they were originally from this tribe, and perhaps were once chiefs, with Papu Papu being their modern equivalent.

By the time you get to the second island, you see more of Cortex's influence, such as Ripper Roo, Cortex's first animal subject and a major failure, living here instead of with the rest of Cortex's minions, and Koala Kong, the strong guy, running a mine near the coast that is closest to Cortex's island.

On Cortex Island the story is much more explicit, as you make your way through his factory, which leads you to the plant that powers the factory and labs (which are coming up), and then to his toxic waste dump, before you take out the literal boss of the power plant, Pinstripe. You then have to cross the river to the other half of the island and climb up the outside of the castle, then sneak inside in the dark, get through the inner workings of the Castle Machinery, take out Cortex's right hand man, get through Cortex's lab itself, cross a Great Hall to the rooftop exit, and fight Cortex as he tries to make his escape in his blimp.

Crash 2 then takes place on the same islands, but Cortex and N. Brio have taken over more of the islands as they try to fight each other. N. Brio of course being the real creator of the Evolvo-Ray, he is the one in control of all the animal enemies in the game, while Cortex controls only robot and human enemies, like are seen in his lab in Crash 1, after you defeat N. Brio (though Crash 3 shows these guys are robots too). In the first four Warp Rooms, all the enemies consist of animal enemies from Crash 1, only with implants and armor and stuff added on, because now they work for Brio, while in Crash 1 they were just regular animals. When you get to the last Warp Room, Crash finally turns against Cortex, so the animal enemies disappear and are replaced with robots and humans.

Crash 3 then has nothing but human enemies and regular animals, no altered animals, because that is N. Brio's specialty, and he's not in this game. The human enemies work for Cortex and the regular animals are just regular animals.

This attention to who the enemies are working for applies to the bosses as well. In Crash 1, Ripper Roo, Koala Kong, and Pinstripe are all working for Cortex, but were actually created by N. Brio. In Crash 2, Ripper Roo, the Komodo Bros, and Tiny are all working for N. Brio. Why did Ripper Roo switch sides? Well we see in this game that he cured his insanity and became educated. So he chose to help N. Brio try to save the world. In Crash 3, by contrast, Tiny is working for Cortex despite being created to fight Cortex in Crash 2. But Tiny is the franchise's idiot, and can be easily fooled or convinced. Note that the only boss actually created by Cortex in Crash 3 is Dingodile, who is explicitly not the same type of mutant as all the previous ones, and is instead a new type of experiment in creating a hybrid of two creatures, rather than just mutating one or turning it into a cyborg.

The end of Crash 3 then sees Cortex and N. Tropy lost in time as babies, fighting over Uka Uka. We don't know how Cortex got back to the present, but evidently he beat N. Tropy, because in the next game, N. Tropy is a ghost. Though Ripper Roo and Komodo Joe getting the Uka Uka powerup instead of the Aku Aku powerup is a fuckup, because they were both fighting against Uka Uka in their last appearance in Crash 2.