House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn announced for arcades

ITT Railshooters

>>gematsu.com/2018/01/house-dead-scarlet-dawn-announced-arcades
>>hod.sega.jp/

New House of the Dead announced, looks like it's a mainline game, from the appearance of Judgement in one of the screenshots.

What's ya fave? What's the one you miss most?

Oh boy I can't wait to use another purposely miscalibrated lightgun.

I understand Nipland still has them but the rest of the world?

Blast their eyes with enough air and make the seats jerk so the aim isn't right and you'll be raking in the cash.

Wonder how soon it will be until we see a home version of the game for the PS4 or the Switch.

Most of the arcades in the U.S. are stationed in the "Family fun" centers like Dave & Busters. There are some actual arcades, but they mostly deal with the older titles instead of the newer ones (Or their selection is from 5 years ago).

So, it will be like that bug game, that Jurassic Park game, and that pirate game that I've seen in arcades for the past couple years.

Me and my dad when he was still alive loved playing the HoTD games, beat 1, 2, and 3 in various places that had the cabinets but I also had 3 for the Xbox where it also came with 2. I wish that would of had 1 on it too. They were in places like truck stops and the movie theater near us. Seeing a new mainline game being made for such a niche thing nowadays is nice and I hope I can find one near me, got to beat this to keep the tradition alive. I miss the height of railshooters with light guns.

The original is my favorite, the atmosphere and character/zombie/boss designs were great and the location was cool. I never played Overkill because I didn't like the over the top grindhouse style.

There was nothing we could do

Not to mention the soundtrack is not that bad, Magician's theme is always great but I prefer the Saturn version.

Arcade games used to have better graphics than console and PC games. What went wrong?

Sounds like the inferior version of Zombi 3 soundtrack.

Sega created the ST-V and NAOMI arcade boards, and developers started making more 1-to-1 ports of arcade games for consoles to bring in more money, and the power jump from the fourth (SNES, Genesis, PC-Engine, Neo Geo) to fifth (N64, PS1, Saturn, 3DO, Jaguar) to sixth (Dreamcast, PS2, GC, Xbox) to seventh (PS3, 360, Wii) console generation, and that graphics stopped looking "as good as they possibly could" by the mid-2000's.

Now heres the question. Would you prefer then to use those modern graphics? Or keep the blocky ps2 graphics, call it aesthetic, and play up the camp?

Best rails shooters:

Runner ups:

Can't wait for the Typing of the Dead Scarlet Words PC port.

Are there any good rail shooters on PC? I've been wanting to play one but I can't find any for PC.

Same. The only rail shooters on PS4 I know are House of the Dead and Resident Evil Chronicles. There really needs to be a rail shooter revival.

This, but with custom dictionaries.

Always with custom dictionaries.

Doesn't this count as on-rails?

What the fuck is this?

The ones that had the best choice in villains.

fuck this shit

The Wii version sure. But the only true rail shooter set in ww2 was Medal of Honor heroes 2

LMAO good thing we found these miniguns XDDDD

Overkill was fun. Not challenging or hard in anyway but it was still a fun play through.

If this means new Typing of the Dead, count me the fuck in.

I assume you mean recently?

panzer dragoon really doesn't belong there

When the moon is full and trees are bare-
Walk through the cemetery if you dare.
Where skeletons rot and corpses fester-
Locate the tomb with the skull of a jester.
Feed him the token all shiny and new-
It is then that CarnEvil will return for YOU!

HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA

I completely forgot this game existed, downloadan now. It probably sucks miserably and runs at 15 fps (like most N64 games from my childhood) but I will do my best to ride the nostalgia as hard as I can.

I'll bite. What's wrong with Sin and Punishment?

Nothing that I know of, just watch the video and you'll understand.

I always sucked at the arcade, but when I tried out the Wii port I found out just how bullshit it really is, especially the jungle level. And WHY does it have to have so much grind in it to unlock all the weapons? Were they selling it as a $60 game and tried to prolong the length of it that way?

It wasn't that hard? It's a game you're supposed to play a couple times.

Yeah, but I've played through it twice and only unlocked 2 weapons. There are like 30 or 40 of em.

The game became trivial once you had unlocked some of the guns as far as i know. My friend had everything unlocked and never died because he had memorized everything.

I used to love that game, but I always died pretty fast and never had enough quarters to keep going.

The only bucket list item I have is to finally 1CC this game. I've gotten to the big top and died to the fucking clown docs.

Is it possible to 1cc? There's unavoidable damage.

The only unavoidable damage I can think of is Junior's vomit, but that's iffy as I've gone through that without getting damaged. Although I don't know if that was because of my shooting or something else. Evil Marie's blast attacks can be avoided if you do a great deal of damage before she gets to that stage. You can stun her by shooting her in the cooter. Same for Krampus in his legs. The rest is memorization. Tokentaker can be stunned too if shot repeatedly. Either way, your arm's going to get a workout it hasn't seen since your nads dropped.

Seriously? I had no idea.

Fuck yeah i loved playing ghost squad on the wii back in the day.

There really is a dearth of rail shooters on the PC, which is weird considering how it's perfect for aiming. Or maybe that's why there are so few, it's too good for aiming. :^)
There are a couple I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously there's Typing of the Dead Overkill, and that did come with another mode where you could play regular shooting House of the Dead mode, but that's not really very useful because the game hates modern graphics cards and refuses to show entire zombie models. There was also that really terrible Rambo game. Rez got ported to PC and VR as well, but does that really count? It plays pretty different from your average rail game.
There's also Gal Gun, but I have no idea if that game is any good unironically.
And then there's one last one I can think of, something called Blue Estate. I'm pretty sure it's based on a comic book or something, but for sure it's a proper rail shooting game. It might even be good.

I notice the genre is coming back the most with the growing market of VR. Obviously there's Rez, but there's also that new Serious Sam toy, not to mention games like Robo Recall and other virtual shooting galleries. I think PSVR even had a sequel to Until Dawn that was literally a roller coaster ride with a gun. So, maybe they're making a comeback, but I want more rail shooter games that I don't need a damn virtual boy to play.

Typing of the Dead > House of the Dead

See
Too bad TTotD has been left to rot. Nips got patches and updates for 1 (and additions like S-rank), and 2 was outright nip-only.
I remember it was nigh-impossible to get a damageless run at max rank (all A-ranks) in TTotD1; heavily luck-based depending on final boss's attacks (also the hydra in the underwater route has a nearly-unavoidable attack in its 2nd-phase). all A-rank 1CC was more doable, but still very tough (last boss again). there's also a hostage that's 95% impossible to save at the beginning of the 2nd level if you let the car crash

TTotD: Overkill was a rushed afterthought:

More like Scarlet ASS am I right?

Was Blue Estate any good? About all I've gathered is it is or was buggy.

Fondest memories was playing one of the Virtua Cop games at high school, and finding the enemy spawn mechanics funnier than they should be. Or that Xiao Xiao flash game. It's odd I haven't gotten into the genre more.

Does VR even combine well with rail shooter type gameplay? It seems like a troublesome combination for aiming when most of them are designed around fixed viewports. Also Gal Gun is extremely disappointing, and no challenge even with a conventional controller.

It's going to be shit.

I liked all of those

You have god awful fucking shit taste then, straight up.
Remember when a rail shooter was about how accurate and fast you could shoot somethings weak points and not hold the shoot button while being as uncomfortable as possible until the bullshit design makes you fuck off.

Good points, I still enjoyed Lets go Jungle and Deadstorm Pirates though.
I do agree, if the game design is like those and not something to House of the Dead 3/4 with god tier peripherals it's going to be shit.

I'm dead inside

Jurassic Park was also like this, theres still hope
Have they shown the peripherals yet?

The most troubling part about aiming with VR, that I've experienced, is that you cannot aim the controllers like a Wiimote. This may seem like an obvious complaint to some, but I problem is that I actually have played light-gun games, in the arcade, with the plastic gun, and they feel much different than holding a VR controller.
Well, of course, the game was designed to be played with a controller. Is there an extra hard mode?

They do ship versions of those games without the moving seats and air blasts. That's the cabinets I've been playing the games in whenever I see them. However, I do have to admit that the games do end up feeling cheap, regardless (Especially with the QTEs). In fact, all four of those games, and that Transformers game, all feel cheap in comparison to something like that Terminator Salvation arcade game from a number of years back.

Can't wait for SEGA to fuck it over with DRM like the last "port".

I can't wait for the tears

(OP)
I really like the UI but I absolutely hate the fact it's once again that UZI bullshit coupled with loads of zombies on screen, the appeal of the other games was all about quick reflexes and prioritizing targets with short but frequent encounters.
Also can someone explain to me why the hell do Koreans love the shit out of rail shooters?

blocky aesthetics obviously, because they make it incredibly easier to tell which parts of the zombie you just shot down and don't lag as much as high tech models.

Pretty interesting. If I ever end up seeing this (highly unlikely, no arcades even within 60 miles of me) I'll definitely play it. I have 1 - 3. Might pop in 2 later.

I've never used VR, does it at least track where the gun is and pointing in relation to your headset or is it just based on accelerometer movement? I can still imagine it being awkward just because you can't see the physical gun and aim it like one.

Only 2 difficulties, easy and pathetically easy. The original is a bit harder since it seems to have been designed for the Move controller but it's still for casuals. It does some cute things with standard rail shooter gameplay that I love, but not nearly enough to be more than a fluffy fanservice game.

Also I forgot to address this: Aiming with a mouse lacks the satisfaction of a proper gun controller, and they're virtually non-existent on PC. Systems like the Wii with its standardized pointer controller are a much better target for them.

Most of the arcades I went to as a kid have either closed or the space has been shrunk quite a bit. Pretty sad. Hopefully this gets a PC release.