Is there a horror game scarier than the Siren series? I swear they nailed everything right...

Is there a horror game scarier than the Siren series? I swear they nailed everything right, from the enemy design to the atmosphere. The endings were silly I admit, but the rest of the games were scary as fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=APjplyy32HU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's meh, definitely not as scary as my dubs

That's pretty fukken spooky m8.

I remember it getting bad reviews across the board back then, saying that nearly every aspect of the game lacked in some way, controls, graphics, disjointed story etc. etc. so I never bothered trying it out.

I am such a pussy, i couldn't continue playing Resident Evil 7 afraid of wheelchair granny.

They're right about the gameplay, it's shit and the puzzles are also shit. But in regard of aesthetics, there's nothing better than this game.

They were fucking metal.
youtube.com/watch?v=APjplyy32HU

Both games were an extremely frustrating experience for me but some stuff was very creative, like Mikami (who was blind) using his dog to see the shibito and other danger.
Also it did the "villagers who go crazy and start hunting you" way better than RE4.

Yes.

really, I remember it getting good reviews(tho' I have notoriously bad memory and during that time I only read fingol reviews and game magazine.)

Dino Crisis is scarier.

Dinosaurs can't be scary unless you're an 8 yo.

Are you mentally stunted, OP?

>>>/suicide/

Or unless you've ever been chased by them.

There are but I think Siren had a more consistently anxiety inducing tone. Part of that came from shuffling around the cast so that you had chapters where you had no real power, and then the Power trips that were Akira or late game Kyoya.

Really the strength of Siren for me comes from the layout of the missions. Short, bite-sized chapters interconnected with clear goals in an environment that stayed oppressive worked very well. The cast and their differences also kept things interesting. One thing that kills a lot of horror games is letting the player get too acclimated to a particular mechanic. Keeping the player on their toes is the best way for them to keep buying into the horror of the game.

Try Fatal Frame.
The only game I couldn't finish. Tried it some 10 years ago the last time. Might tackle it again…

What are they?

I stopped playing when they turned the characters into literal JAV sluts.

Seriously, who gets really scared by horror games? sure, you can get immersed, sometimes people just don't like them but I can't understand how people really get scared while playing, as in, they are not scared but very curious as to what comes next, but truly scared as if something were to jump out of the screen and eat their soul.

Such as?

Fatal Frame II is one. Silent Hill 4. I want to say Dead Space but I feel like you're way to well armed to keep the mood tense.

fatal frame 3 scared me so bad i honestly, no exaggerating thought i was going to have a heart attack.

How good are Fatal Frame five and four anyway?

Silent Hill 3, the first few Fatal Frames, Scratches.

It's not difficult to outspook Siren.

My nigga

4 is completely forgettable and you didn't miss anything. 5 was actually pretty good but if you admit that on here you're a censorship apologist so let's just pretend it sucked too

where's the jumpscares?

Please honour us with the tale of your life experience of being chased by dinosaurs that lead to your fear of vidya based dinosaurs.

I think the ghosts in Silent HIll 4 would have been creepier if they moved like they did in the opening cutscene. Specifically 0:43 in the embed.
The jittery movement is so overdone it just feels spazzy now, but the lack of movement in the cutscene here feels more unnatural and creepy.
But overall I agree Silent Hill 4 was pretty good at horror, especially when the hauntings start and the safe area isn't so safe anymore.

Fffffffuuuuuuuuuck me that image is unreasonably creepy for how derpy it is.

That's like the least scary thing ever.

I've played them all and I still don't consider them to be scarier than Siren.

Those faces in movement are slightly unnerving, they did a good job that adds to the atmosphere.

whats it like to be a goy?

I hated the ghosts because they were the only thing you couldn't kill if I can remember. You had that holy knife/sword that disabled them but u only got like 2 of them the entire game.

real life

Is this the one where the little girl turns into a giant maggot ?
Can somebody post that please ?

What part of shithole of this world do you come from?

Silent Hill 4 really strikes a nerve though, it's way too depressing because it actually reminds me of how my life his as a shut in.

Well, it is an interesting approach considering the Japanese hikkikomori thing.

It's what makes Siren: Blood Curse even more disappointing. Having photographed faces projected onto polygonal heads was uncanny as hell.

I felt the same way, probably because I was also living alone in a somewhat drab apartment when I played the game. I think the fear of a familiar setting turning against you worked the best rather than projecting the fears of other characters onto me like in the previous games.

Dead Space basically Jason X in video game format. As far as the atmosphere goes it's a gorefest. Not much more.

Videogames aren't scary you pussy. Are you afraid of polygons crawling up to your bed at night?

Prenumbra: Black Plague.

Whoah, watch out for this tough guy! He might punch you!

All I've seen was the remake and it was a retarded piece of shit.

Muh first scaree gaem

Scratches is really good up till the ending. It builds a really interesting story then just sort of cuts you off with the whole autistic son being kept like an animal thing.

silent hill 1, 2, 3

This thread has gotten me excited to play Silent Hill 3. That's next on my list after Resident Evil 3.