Why are all AAA games so narrative heavy these days? Like, compare the old Wolf3D with the newer Wolfenstein games...

Why are all AAA games so narrative heavy these days? Like, compare the old Wolf3D with the newer Wolfenstein games, back then you could go anywhere and just shoot, but now there's a cutscene every 5 minutes. It seems that full freedom can only be achieved in multiplayer games these days, of which are usually less moddable and readily available to be played than single player games. Can't I just have a cutscene-less sandbox game with paper thin plot just to simply excuse it's existence and full freedom in player interactions?

Hollywood weaseling their way in. Welcome to 20 years ago by the way.

Because normalfags buy it

Aye, the consumer is generally to blame. I don't think normalfags even notice the narrative half the time which makes it more annoying because they'll skip cutscenes or glaze over it while industry fart-huffers throw meaningless awards at 2 hour long cutscenes and other means of non-gameplay

You haven't been able to do that in many games for a while now.

well the secret to forcing the writers shit upon the player was just integrating the cutscene into gameplay with garbage like forced walking so yeah, it's harder and harder to actually skip to the meat of a game

Normalfags buy anything as long as it's fun just like any other people. The only difference is they're less critical than people with passion in video games.

It's a simple case of the Industry being out of touch, incompetent business men and SJWs influencing the market research. some publishers think NeoGAF/ResetERA represents the entire gaming community, and due to fear of HR people on this board who work as developers are afraid to lose their jobs. They do what they can to shift things over, but these things take time. Additionally it doesn't help when a good game tanks and a bad game does extremely well. Thankfully Cuphead, Xenoblade 2 and Nier Automata can now be used as cases against games like Wolfenstein and hopefully Far Cry 5.

Usually the publishers that focus on market research are the enemy, if we disprove the market research on a massive scale then we may deal a harder blow to the SJWs than what GamerGate was. Granted it won't stop 2K from being complete cunts like with GTAO, due to casual gamers being fucking idiots. However it may allow for more experimental titles like in the PS2 days.

Joke's on you buddy. All the meat was replaced with bones and maggots.

They think its all the normies want, yet its all they feed them.
Its why you see soke games bomb recently, people are getting tired.
Thats why shit like Pubg is popular, its new and different than the same old shit they keep pumping out.

They're still horrible games though. When the narrative meme ends, I don't want these games to be the industry trendsetter.

All the rejects from other industries come to games.

There's a new blood of single player game/level designers who are lazy by wanting instant gratification for their work. They hide their laziness by trying to create a visually pretty cinematic/narrative experience that loses it's flavor after the first playthrough.

The good game and level designers who actually seem to give a shit seem work on multiplayer games now. PUBG and Fortnite aren't perfect, but at least it doesn't display soon-to-be outdated cutscenes that plays every five minutes. In the past, it used to be the opposite: single player games used to have better design than multiplayer games.

>Horrible

I can understand not liking certain games. I've played neither of those two to completion. But to say that they're horrible, in a fucking industry so over-saturated with corporate cash-in nonsense, soulless garbage made by beta nu-males that are afraid to even put a game-over state in, and sheer broken trash that doesn't even work, how can you possibly say that those two games - especially Cuphead which is almost an antithesis to everything wrong with gaming today, is horrible?

I'm pretty sure that user is worried about those becoming the new classics that everyone copies.

Horrible is just such a strong word to use though, makes it seem like he hates those games in particular.

I haven't played those, but I see something similar with Discuck and Thief. Where newfags are constantly pushing discuck as a good game, some even saying it's one of the best. Even though it's extremely mediocre, and when compared to Thief it's just straight up shit.

It's a combination of these actually. I find these games in particular to be horrible, and with the lack of passion in modern gaming industry, I fear that these ironic games will become the new standard in gaming ,and devs will copy their gameplay or design philosophy.

They won't. They'll just make half-hearted clones at best or, even worse, "subversive" horseshit that's plays like a tvtropes user trying his damnedest to get as many tag listings for his game as possible.

Yes, (((Hollywood))) is weaseling their way into video games.
You can't push a political agenda without a narrative. it didnt interest (((them))) (outside of wanting to ban it since it competed with action movies and the like) until they realized it could be used as a vehicle for story telling aka agenda pushing aka subversion.

The publishers dont know what they are doing

Because people who aren't manchildren enjoy using their brains to think.