Obsidian blames Tyranny failing on CRPGs not having a fanbase

archive.is/y0zC9
So basically

Tranny.

daily reminder that obsidian was never good and NV is average at best.

Tyranny wasn't that good. I actually think Wasteland 2 was better, and I didn't care for that one either. Obsidian needs to go through a restructuring and bring in better people or just stop because I am worried what they are going to bring out next.

tyranny might have been good if they didnt use overused isometric 2d/3d graphics

Just how many shitbait threads do you need deleted on a daily base? Got a quota or something?

Sad.

Don't know about NV, but I loved NWN2 and KOTOR2.

Old Obsidian was great but today most of their talent left. NV was also super fucking rushed.

Are you triggered I insulted Tranny or because I complemented Divinity/Wasteland?

I avoided it because I kept hearing it's sjw shit and I don't play games just to listen to some tumblr landwhale trying to lecture me about the tranny spectrum and the crime of manexisting.

At least try.

What SJW shit ended up in Tyranny?

I assume you are talking about Tyranny. I pirated it and while I didn't get far enough to see sjw shit I got tired of the stale combat and men story/world. On the other hand I have 40 hours in Wasteland 2 and about 200 in both Divinities.

I'm really interested in complex RPGs with player agency from Obsidian, even if they're full of SJW shit.

What put me off from both Tranny and PoE was the absolutely awful combat that looked like it hadn't evolved at all from when CRPGs were big.
As someone that likes to play RPGs to get immersed into a story and feel like I'm making choices that matter a combat that I just don't want to play completely breaks the game for me.

That's also why New Vegas was so great. It understands that people are not going to play a western RPG for the combat mechanics, so they just made it barely functional and focused on dialogue trees and player agency. There's moments in New Vegas where you can go for hours without ever even fighting someone.

Original Sin at least tries to make the combat a bit better instead of just ripping it off completely from games that were made in 1994

Just like Kotor 2

I think one of their main writers left recently.
Someone ought to know more than me though.

But yes, they're essentially in the same boat as all other old companies – the people that made them great are gone now.

New Vegas is shitty fan fiction at best.

Chris Avellone left to work on Crpgs like Divinity OS 2 and Wasteland 3. He is now a famous meme dev so can now make big bucks off of doing bit parts rather than being the lead like he was with Kotor 2 and NV

Is that even still happening?

I did read your post faggot

They successfully got the money from a crowdfunding campaign, I haven't heard any news from it since then.

The dialogue and the player agency is the gameplay.
You played new vegas for the shooting?
You played Fallout for the oh so exciting tile based shooting?

Are you a fucking idiot?

Excellent bait, have a courtesy (You)

hell yeah, boi

It did a crowdfunding campaign on (((fig))), so maybe it's being used as a money laundering scheme.

EVEN NOW THERE IS HOPE FOR MAN

Here's your favorite game.

Wow user what a smart and articulated post, it's clear you actually read what I wrote and not just shitposted

My mistake, here's your favorite game.
Dialogue isn't gameplay; player urgency isn't just picking through a dialogue tree.

Obsidian really is oblivious to their own bullshit.

They funded the game using Fig even when a shit ton of people hated Fig at the time. They acted really pasive aggressively to anyone who disliked Fig, and then shat on any fans who called some of the devs out for being SJWs. It will probably flop and commercially fail.

Meant for

Sure.
Only combat can be gameplay. That's why Morrowind was such a huge hit, the combat in morrowind might as well be the pinnacle of gameplay.

Too bad NV isn't a text adventure and requires actual input and timing to wade through ass combat and movement.

As is movement and positioning your character, which NV also blows at, though that's more a fault of Bethasda's shitty engine.

So has anyone made a list of the good Crpgs? Off the top of my head

He didnt leave he was fired because he is fucking trash, if he wasnt co-founder of the company nobody would take him seriously.

Ah
So Puzzle games don't have gameplay? What about Adventure Games?

user your argument is fucking retarded. There's RPGs where you can spend hours just walking around talking to people to complete a quest or find information before finding any kind of combat.
The best RPGs of all time are all remembered for either their branching story and player agency.

I'm gonna stop feeding you (you)s now

So they fired their best writer because he was trash?

He wasn't fired, he decided to work as a freelancer so that he could pick and choose stuff he wanted to work on without being tied down to one studio

This has to be a troll or that retarded french shitposter who jerks off to his Kreia headcanon

Nah he was 100% fired he even had a mental breakdown on twitter about it saying he was feeling "betrayed" and after a week deleted all those tweets saying he is a free agent now, basicly he is the Chris Metzen of Obsidian, overrated trash with big ego.

I did not know about this meltdown
nevermind then

A meme genre, like VNs.

Reading != gaming

Nothing to do with the dry Josh Sawyer and his hard-on for anti-fun balance uber alles, nope.

wew

kinda reminds me of someone but i can't put my finger on it
Also
TRANNY 2 is cancelled

woah is that painting real?

Pull the plug.

Even without all tranny shit game doesnt have anything good in it. Shit writing and a fucking lot of it. Have you played pillars? Who the fuck cares about random assholes plowing dirt and doing random medieval peasant shit. Do they really thouth that people who love to read will want random rambling about nothing in particular?
Not to mention shit engine. How the fuck you make 2d game loading time so long while it looks so bad instead of using infinity engine which works fine after all these years?

Obsidian is quickly evolving into the retarded, inbred cousin of BioWare. Can't wait for the next trainwreck they will gift us with.

Also, let's not forget that Underraial, Age of Decadence and even Grimoire made a profit and sold well above expectation. The simple truth is that PoE and Tyranny were badly written, badly designed garbage more concerned with being a Twilight fanfic and shoveling Marxism at people.

Considering the company went to shit right after he left and you can't think of s better writer working there it is safe to say he is there best faggot

It's GRUM's award winning choice of topic for his writings. After all, he's the literary genius that criticized Tolkien for actually trying to write an interesting plot instead of delving into the tax policies of the Seven Kingdoms. Forget doing exciting quests and going on adventures, you gotta listen to the moans of the proletariat and strike down the bourgeois pigs.

Company went to shit with him in top position not after he "left" (HE WAS FIRED) and only after they fired him they started making creative games again, your fanboyism for that Obsidian version of Metzen is beyond stupid, hell i can even bet you are the guy who was making all those Obsidian dicksucking threads on Holla Forums back in 2016 and now you are making these threads solely to bash Obsidian because they kicked Avellone and not because you really dislike Tyranny or their other games.

He told them to go fuck themselves when they threw away all he had written for PoE (and the bits we got are the best written parts of the game) in favor of purple prose writing tumblrtards.

Obsidian? Man, that's funny another game company took that name. I remember this Obsidian from a few years back, made all these great games like Alpha Protocol and Fallout New Vegas, Interesting RPGs with difficult choices and that didn't shy away from dark subjects. Sad thing is one day Obsidian just went on a trip and just never came back, and we never heard from them again. I always wondered what amazing games they would have made had they lasted longer, but I guess we'll never know.

Was it even a CRPG/WRPG?whatever at all though? I assumed it played more like Diablo.

Avellone wrote this

Obsidian games are shit. I quit Numanuma after spending 1 hour in a single room having two NPC dump background lore on me via text. How the fuck is that fun? If they want to write books then write books, don't make games

Someone post the PDF detailing Obsidian's shitshow with the development of Armored Warfare.

Personally am not a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity but that game was great for what it was and there were 2 expansions and a planned sequel to it meaning it was a succesful game, one developer even said that Pillars of Eternity saved them from closing down the studio.

You mean after they rejected his garbage writting the game became a huge success that saved the studio from closing? Lmao your headcanon is hilarious considering he was begging people from Obsidian not to fire him but to keep him as in some honorary position within the company, thats why he had a meltdown on twitter after he got fired.

Play action games and not RPGs, user.

I stopped playing the game after the split between the factions. It made no sense to have the player go through the prologue, giving them the option to carefully balance their relations with each faction, and then within an hour having them solely on the side of one faction and in outright war with the other.
The concept was fine but the execution was really poor. I was hoping for a game in which I could play as the representative of a tyrant, using political maneuvering, manipulation, and forceful judgement to hold together a splintering army long enough to march over the last remaining free territories. Instead I got shit.
Also the art style is fucking tumblr-tier and it looks awful.

Its a bait post, ignore him

Kreia was arguably one of the best-written video game characters in the past 20 years. What issues do you have with Avellone?

What "creative" games have they made since he left?

are the people in this thread seriously arguing the tumblrtards they have now are better
wow ok

fuck off

It's one shitposting cretin.

You trying to hard to win worst taste of all time award.

I was talking about fb9519, but I can call you an illiterate imbecile too if you so desire.

One of the best-written characters? Are you on drugs or just huffing too much of Avellone farts? She is a bipolar character in the released game because KOTOR2 development time was cut short by 18 months, thats why Kreia says contradicting things throughout the game like the beggar situation on Nar Shaddaa as one example.

i am not defending Tyranny maybe you need to read properly

funny how you accuse others of shitposting when they recognize your Avellone fanboyist dicksucking

Were you really too stupid to understand that?

She say contradictory shit all the time. She is supposedly about independence and relying only on yourself yet she allows us to travel with a huge group of companions.
And then there was the stupid section in the Sith cave where you had to save her even though she was obviously evil.

Tides are not made by obsidian. inxile entertainment, try bards tale from them instead.

chill i realized my mistake and deleted the post, sorry my dude

She is about personal strength and using what means are available to you to improve yourself and reach your goals. One of your character strengths is the ability to influence and manipulate others, which she talks with you about at length and urges you to take advantage of this to better your own position. She specifically refers to your companions as tools to be used for your own ends and scoffs at you if you tell her that they are friends and allies, not tools.
I seriously think you might need to replay the game.

Lmao i knew you Kreia cultists would try to respond with that shit, only 200 IQ people can understand bi-polar characters from an unfinished game? Are you a Rick and Morty fan too?

the thing about Kreia is she was supposed to the Light side path end game enemy and symbolize the corruption and rigidness of Jedi Order, after the game development lost 18 months they mixed both Dark Side (Atris was Dark Side enemy) and Light Side paths and put it in her so she seems bi-polar in released game. This Kreia cult of 2DEEP4U is mostly from idiots who see deeper meaning where there is none.

Even better
Remember how she gives you a big speech about how much she loves you at the end even though she tried to kill you seconds ago? Clearly there was an ending where you talked her out of being a Sith that was cut out and they had to repurpose the content.

yea the ending didnt make sense at all for her, if you take in mind the Light side path they originally intended it was obvious you could atleast have an option to turn her back and reform the Jedi Order without the previous fuck ups, ending for Kotor2 was prob the weakest part of that game and it felt really dissapointing, Atton vs Sion being cut was dissapointing too.

She was testing you, you mong.
Kreia is manipulative and used you all throughout the game, but she respects you because you learned to live without the force and became stronger than her without it.

True game development has never been tried.

All companies that hire (or pander to) leftists are guaranteed to have their products be of the lowest quality. Leftist = shitty product. Always.

They made a whole game about "muh feminists and equality against evil Men". They were doomed from the start. The mindset that makes someone embrace feminism is the same that causes incompetency and lack of intelligence to develop some talent.
Obsidian is a shit company run by subhumans pandering to feminists and leftists in general.

The main reason for their loss of quality is that they hired abominations instead of humans to replace the old talents that left.

If you play a GAME for the dialogue first, you are a retarded soyboy that gets all emotional for any shit that yo read.

Tranny wasn't crowdfunded

I probably should start playing mature games for mature gamers such as yourself

fb9519 and 9bbdb8 are just shitposting. Pretty sure the whole board is getting raided.

fucking samefag

Really? I guess I might be the only one on the planet, but I thoroughly enjoyed the plot sans an underdeveloped independent route. The only awful shit was the Kyros "muh ebil secret girl overlord because of patriarchy."

Gameplay was better than it's predecessor (name escapes me, I've played it before) if uncannily similar in terms of skill trees.

What do people think was bad about it?

Yes it dates back to 1501.

Holy shit, you arent even baiting

how about fags and shoehorning you into fag drama

Why does the artwork look like something straight out of the newer Scooby Doo series?

If they have a failure state, yes. If not then no. The Adventure game genre had potential but Mr. Shitface fucked it up with Monkey Islands lol so randum solutions and the genre went to shit hard aping that title and never ever recovered.

did you wipe your tears after hearing the truth about that trash Avellone?

Kriea wasn't evil faggot and her point was to show you that both the light and dark side were wrong.

I see you were also too retarded to understand MGS3 as well

No you ate right. New Vegas was horrible CIA white male power fantasy. I am happy that sexist left so they could right Tranny

I can see why they'd rather delude themselves into thinking the customer is the problem, rather than facing just how low they've fallen

That's because all of them target their niche, while Obsidian whores itself out to normalfags

I've played plenty of old cRPGs, but only a few of them had a combat as lacklustre as PoE, and absolutely none had anything even close as terrible to the abortion of a mechanic that Tranny has.

I know you are just shitposting, but I still want you to fucking die.

FAKE NEWS

This

lmao are you losing it or just trying to pathetically shitpost and turn this into political to divert blame from Avellone?

samefag harder mierde

Who. Who could have predicted that people who pine for the days of witch burnings and dung farming would not like third wave feminism in Tyranny?

H-hue?

CIA?

Do you feel in charge?

OP is a frenchie from cuckchan known for ID hopping and samefagging, he is so desperate in his agenda that he even goes to reddit to fling shit

I have a hard time believing legit grognards would've played it regardless because it barely even looked like a legit RPG.

I really don't get why everyone loves the shit out of it

You're a huge guy

You're so deep in flash multiverse you don't understand reality no more.

Go back to cuckchan, nigger. Witcher games are not good rpgs.

New Vegas is a great RPG, compared to anything else that came out at the time. Retroactive contrarians should hang themselves.

Torposter user, please. So far these 2 RPG's have blown the shit out of anything else in the West and anything in the East.

I wanted to angrily disagree, but after careful consideration I've realized that I got nothin'
At best, NV was the pinnacle of mediocrity. It's like eating a stack of pancakes without syrup.

I mean, how the fuck are torposters always retarded?

where were the faggots in tyranny? all i remember was the stupid kyros shit

A good pancake doesn't need syrup.

FPS with RPG elements. "Immersive sims" all have too much player skill absent statistical abstraction to be RPGs.

I email with him sometimes, apparently quite a few high level people left Obsidian after the mess that was PoE.

Tyranny especially fucking sucks

is tim cain still there?

The Switcher 1 and 2 were good but 3 was meh and Divinity OS2 was better at being an rpg

If he is then his work isn't leaving a mark.

nice fanon story mierde

10/10 Well done, my friend.

I actually haven't heard of this game until now.

If you are capable of playing, instead of just reading, soyboy.

You have no shame with samefagging your own posts do you?

Dialogue is gameplay in a good RPG, you bright spark. It's not like just watching cutscenes. You're interacting and making decisions the whole time.

anons who hate on Avellone don't realize that he was the glue that got all the talent to stick to Obsidian, when he was fired many who was close-friends with him left. This is the reason on why Obsidian won't touch Fallout because they would fuck it up a lot more worse then Pete Hines did.

It's a goon. Look at his filenames.

Haven't Obsidian games always sold like shit?

There's nothing worth of discussion in this thread. Avellone is gone, Obsidian is gone. Get a grip. I chuckled at the humorous comparison to communism and moved on. This thread is full of fags stuck in the past.

The concept seemed cool like playing as an dark lord's minion and stuff like that, but I didn't pay attention beyond that. How much SJW shit does this game contains?

funny how you are projecting again after getting caught, go back to samefag bumping your KOTOR thread

its very easy to spot your samefagging just like in your current KOTOR thread

Go back to the codex faggot.

Underrated post

NV has too much player fetching quest and plot you don't care about. The open world itself was even worse than Fallout 3.

But that's just a meme, you faggot. Failure implies an unfixable break: with games, you are just thrown back a certain way. Only coinops had proper failure states, as you couldn't physically keep playing the game after losing (unless you paid for more).

Agreed Wasteland 2 had a lot of problems but was still better than Tyranny. Pausable real time combat is the fucking worst! There is no nostalgia for that horrendously outdated mechanic. Divinity’s turn based combat was surprisingly extremely fulfilling, larian put a lot of effort into it.

here's a better version of that pic

He is absolutely right. Aside from KOTOR2 they are hardly remarkable and even that was arguably worse than Bioware's KOTOR. New Vegas is absolutely average and it gets more praise for its shitty story and characters rather than its gameplay which is shit tier shooting bundled with an empty desert.

What is it that makes New Vegas good and Fallout 3 not that good? I got the same amount of enjoyment from both of em, which is pretty average.

Whoa now buddy don't go forgetting the classic Dungeon Siege 3™.

Shitty gunplay, less freedom and less customization than Elder Scrolls games. If Fallout 3 really was Oblivion with guns as many people pretended to be with the equal amount of sandbox gameplay, it would be a really fun game, but the truth is it's just watered down Oblivion with so much narrative shoved down your throat. NV gave a bit more freedom, but not much, and the level design is even worse.

Not saying it's a genre, just a convenient shorthand for the various games by the Ultima Underworld devs and their admirers.

Its not my fault you are fucking stupid and don't know shit

this is right. there was a time where literally every single obsidian release was a buggy, fucked mess remember that the fan favorite new vegas didn't even fucking work on launch, and bethesda had to write a patch for it because obisdian couldn't fix it. they had some great ideas but can't figure out how to implement them into an actual videogame in a way that works

brainlet

Tranny failed because it wasa SJW shitstain of a game. But Sirin she was a little sweetie and deserved all kinds of headpats, cakes and tea and maybe even handholding

Care to go into any detail on the SJW stuff? Could use a laugh.

lmao you still are crying, took you three hours to find a post that wasnt deleted after his meltdown

What fucking universe are they living in?

It was shown on stage at E3, though in a montage I think, so it wasn't exactly all that low key. Maybe Paradox were just too hopeful.

Bethesda did all q&a/bugtesting for it from the very beginning, I remember there being articles while NV was in development how Bethesda wanted to handle it personally, as Obsidian didn't have a good track record.

Not that Bethesda is any better at all, their fucking engine is utterly broken.

I have no idea what you're referring to

Quoting someone and posting le funny brainless meme guy is not an argument.

quoting that kike wont fix your shit taste faggot

Sounds more like they had an overblown budget to me.
A game like this should be reeling in the money with over 300k sales, not be considered a failure.

They had their original IP's banned so they sign into tor to keep spewing their bulshit.

This is a good post, we should meme it at sjwdevs now

Except that New Vegas was a massive success that sold many more copies than Fallout 3 did, that ZeniMax Media Inc. have a known track record of attempting hostile takeovers on every studio they "work with," that one of the ways in which ZeniMax had tried to sabotage Obsidian, the Metacritic meme, during the development of New Vegas has actually been publicly disclosed, to say nothing of highly suspicious matters of public knowledge like the game's development time cut, and that aside from being developed by a studio that had had so much of its talent shuffled out that it couldn't really be described as being the studio that made New Vegas, Tyranny wasn't crowd-funded.

Your head is empty cucklord.

It's a very empty game, you spend a good chunk of your playtime just walking across a copypasted desert.

No, you don't, I've played it. Don't meme me faggot.

NV isn't really empty in a literal sense. It's just the environments are badly cobbled together using generic Fallout 3 assets and dull. Fallout 3's environments in comparison are a lot more dense, partly due to the cityscape settings.

More dense isn't always better and if you didn't have ADHD you wouldn't need pointless storyless ruins every five feet to keep your interest. Bethesda fanboys should be permanently banned from this board. NV has plenty of content, you're just a faggot.

How much of that is worth playing though?

This. Bethesda is a corporate predator.

Also, let's not forget that the only reason NV was made using Oblivion With Guns assets was because Bethesda swooped in to outbid and kill Troika for the license from Interplay's corpse, forcing Troika refugees at Obsidian to sublicense their own game.

Most of it, especially compared to Fallout 3 and 4, where nothing is worthwhile.

I'm glad Troika is dead.

This was a good thread to read through

Good thing no one cares about the opinion of a tryhard edgelord desperate for attention.

Good work, user.

I don't deny that NV has more content, it's just the level design was so bad. Fallout 3's buildings aren't storyless either. You got museums, schools, offices, military facilities, vaults with different experiments happened inside them, and most of them have pretty cool loot. Like the process of getting T51b and Xuanlong rifle, they involve non-linear and subtle exploration rather than simple objecitve fetching..

They made three games and shut down due to poor management only a few years after opening their doors.
It's nobody's fault but their own that they couldn't get funding.

Three broken buggy games.

Three broken buggy games that endure as some of the finest RPGs ever written

I guess the whole board is mad af all day then. Sometimes when you call someone a nigger it's just pointing out that they're acting like a nigger. Maybe grow up and try posting something other than smug faces. Good bait though, got me to reply.

I don't deny that the games have good writing, but they're lacking in the most important thing in a video game: the gameplay.

Oh yes, who could forget such classics as "The Temple of Elemental Evil"

user, I think you're the one acting like a nigger in this thread

I don't prefer FO3 over NV, I think both have equal amount of strengths and flaws. Overall, I don't really like either of them. FO3 might be atmospheric and have some good quests, but it's Bethesda's weakest game, and NV fixed some of the problems with FO3's mechanics and broken narrative and as well added a few cool things, but they also took 2 steps back.

By "writing", I meant the entire process of development; e.g. software is generally described as being "written".

Yes, that's certainly unforgettable

Says the guy who unironically likes NV.

If you want to play D&D just go and do it, no need for a lame videogame.

Oh, I've never even played a Fallout game. I just wanted to use that image.

I just read his posts and that doesn't really happen mate, it's just you sperging out at him calling NV bland

This, 100%.
There have been so many games trying to recapture the feeling you get from D&D while forgetting that D&D is a game heavily reliant on the fact there's an actual person controlling what goes on.

We have IDs here cuckchanner. Nice attempt at samefagging though.

Both have their strengths, but a perfect replication of D&D's mechanics for vidya is sometimes a valid trade for the rigid railroading necessary in vidya.

Also, somebody needs to make a good VTT along the lines of NWN, instead of gay shit like Roll20

Wait what? Who are you even angry at here, I never said anything about people that like NV being stupid or anything, neither did d54a36. Are you blind user?

Yeah, just play stupid, I'm sure that will get you out of what you just tried to do. user your first post in the thread is "I really don't get why everyone loves the shit out of it" about New Vegas. You came in to the thread upset that people like a game. Don't play dumb.

RazorFag please kill yourself.

You are the one that got confused, don't try to blame it on me nigger
That's because I don't get it, it was average for me and seeing people like you defending it tooth and nail surprises me.
And how the hell did you come to that conclusion?

Nice attempt to revise history but it was you who were telling me, while I was talking about you, that you "read his posts and that doesn't really happen". You sounded pretty fucking confused double nigger.
Maybe I got it from how you don't bother replying to the people who actually replied to you and told you why they like the game and instead you're baiting like a bethesdakid with a personal grudge? You came in saying "you don't get why people like it", its a cuck way of saying "I don't like it this much, why do you fags like it?".

user, how was I supposed to know you were actually talking about me when I was talking to you about the other user, and add to that the fact that none of my posts say anything remotely related to what you accused me for.
user are you retarded?

Because I was replying, in greentext, to you, newfag. Greentext is used to show what a person has done or said.
see & You can play off that these posts are just innocent questions like a cuck all you want, but I'm not stupid enough to believe that user. We're hitting DSP levels of denial.
Funny, no reply here…

Honestly user, this is getting really sad. You're getting btfo and I highly suggest you just walk away from the thread.

Enough threads on this site are derailed by two or three anons arguing at each other.
Nobody else cares, you should both quit your bitching because you're annoying everybody else.

Honestly, I'm done, I think I've more than made my point. It's just sad people have nothing better to do than wander in to threads about things they don't like and bitch without even making solid points or arguments.

I'm not following this bait around any longer, enjoy your last word and then move on autismo

Gets better
There is no way in hell Fig is going to get their money back. In fact only 1 game that was fig funded seems to have made profit for the backers. Now Obsidian is making some game for Take Two whom realizes they've damaged their own branding with their kikery so bad that they're launching a new brand. The whole company is only kept afloat by Rockstar whom rumors say wants to break off.

CRPGs would have a fanbase if they didn't all look and play like shitty 20 year old isometric DOS games with walls and walls and walls of depressing exposition.

I don't know, but I only found out in this thread that this was something made by Obsidian and not some faggot on RPG maker. I never even bothered to click on it to see more about it.

I stand by that decision.

Is this bait?

If you want to play LARPy hiking sims or VNs, you can play those.

Nope he left and what he was talking about on Twitter was what he talked about in the interviews. They locked him out of his accounts and won't delete them. He felt betrayed that after all the years of working with them that's how they acted.

He saw the ship was sinking and he jumped off it.

Deserves it. Maybe next time they'll reduce their SOCJUS pandering despite you playing as a character serving under a literal tyrant.

You again with your fanon?

The image is proof that anyone using the term "significant other" is a brainwashed freak and should be utterly avoided.

I only saw the game on Steam and passed by it, because it didn't seem interesting. Looks like it is only rated PEGI 16, which gives me the impression they do not understand their customer base. The average CRPG gamer is older than the average gamer, which is in their 30s. At this point, they want mature storytelling. The genre is beyond pandering to kids and teenagers.

Both are fairly awful and forgettable.
Remember that these are supposed to be "the best" game writers.
Lucas arts beat them both without trying.

Obsidian is like a single peg above bioware. Both are cliche, boring and likely cherry picked observations. If your standards are "at least it isn't bioware" you have nothing worthwhile to contribute.

an interesting read.
a shame they have killed arkane, they weren't perfect but had a good mindset and wanted to make slightly different kinds of games.

DELET THIS

Thats because Lucas arts didn't have a Napoleon complex of trying to one up their more popular competitor. Most of their works were just standalone stuff and even the most rushed of their games was more finished than anything Obsidian put out.

Maybe if they didn't make shit games they might have success. Pillars of Eternity was such a fucking cringe flop that people probably didnt' even bother with Tyranny.

Women burning is a good thing to bring back to current society. It would make for good public shows as well as put the surviving ones in their place.

The Middle Ages were also a time of long, poorly-written epics with no plots and genital mutilation. So, why exactly wouldn't feminists pine for those times?

Biggest problem with Tyranny is that they made a huge deal about "hurr you shape the world's backstory" and all the 15 minutes or so of answers you give even before starting the fucking game properly amounts to a couple of dialogue lines changed. They also kept saying how you would play a villain but at most you can be a chaotic neutral dick.

I enjoy CRPGs, but they don't seem worthwhile to play unless you can murder, rape, torture, maim, enslave, or prostitute NPCs.

Never played Tranny, but is your description accurate? Fallout 1/2 allowed you to do every ludicrously evil thing imaginable to the entire region the game takes place in, just barely short of betraying your vault/tribe to join the villains in their genocidal scheme. Would you say the worst thing you can do in Tranny is tamer than those in the Fallouts where you're usually assumed to be playing a good goy?

How do I kill Braccus Rex in Divinity:Original Sin EE? The fucker one shots my entire party, all level 9s btw

I played only through the first chapter but yes, from what I saw "evil" amounts to being smug to a couple of people from a faction making them dislike you a bit and the other two factions like you more, considering you're the high ranking officer of an evil dark lord shit is really tame compared to the evil deeds in for instance KotOR or Planescape.

'checked
in Tyranny you are part of an army that conquered the land and is used to keep peace, what it comes to technically - after some boss battles you are given a choice between enslaving a village or burning it down.
Via dialogue.
With no cutscene or description of the act.
Just "oh hey you burned that village" or "oh hey you enslaved that village" in dialogue afterwords.

He only meteor showers as an opening attack. Use a fire elemental to trigger him and keep everyone in the party away from him. You can find a fire elemental spell book in the same area as him so just snoop around a bit and steal that if you don't have one already.

Why is everyone calling it tranny?

Didn't even know there was a game called Tyranny and there's memenames. I'm getting old.

You could betray your vault in Fallout 1. You could disclose its location to NPCs, including the bad guys, who dip you into FEV and attack the vault.

I know that, but it was basically a fancy game over. Cool touch, but not really a full on villain ending.

I just shot him with my gun tbh

You are delusional.

Both endings in Fallout are bad endings. The only way to get a good ending is to affect the world and change the lives of those you encounter. The wasteland is a horrible place that can only be made better by someone like the vault dweller, as many of its inhabitants are weak, corrupt, or utterly demoralized. The good ending is seeing the impact you had and knowing that if you had not been there, nothing would have changed. The master ending erases everything that you have done, good or bad. This is why it feels empty. It is no better than getting a game over. This is true for any ending that does not factor in the player's choices.

Fuck 'em, we don't need them.
We already know what RPGOTY 2018 and 2019 are going to be.

When was that ever a thing.

None of the "LE TOTAL CREATIVE FREEDUMM" kikestarter RPGs were/are good. Not one.

A game doesn't have to be good to sell well, as your picture proves.

That is why killing developers needs to be encouraged more.

cancer of the ego

The reverse is also true.

You can't main anything other than humans in Divinity 2, though. I don't remember the game being divided into chapters, either. I haven't played the game in years so I could be wrong.

NV had good writing for an RPG but games writing is bad in general so it's not difficult to stand out. Gameplay-wise it was slightly improved in some areas and broken in others when you compare it to FO3. So kind of shit outside of the roleplaying elements.

I assume the issues come from the engine being from the fucking 90's. I've never played NV.

What the hell are you talking about?
You can't play as non-humans in Divinity II. Are you talking about Divinity: Origin Sin 2? They're in the same series but they're different games.

I kept running out of ammo in wasteland 2 and it would take my entire save to a halt. never got past ag-tech

Now that I can look forward to.

Divinity OS 2 was goty. Sorry about your shit taste though

But user turn based combat is too hard for my brain!

They were dead the instant they were bought. No need to be sad anymore, it was a long time ago. There's a few screencaps floating around of former I.d devs talking about how horrible the corporate culture at bethesda is. Most devs who get bought in by bethesda leave soon after. It's why the bulk of their devs now are sjw college trained devs. It's also why Howard is probably so terrified to make the next Elder Scrolls. He has little to no talent left to use to help make the game. And they've probably already mentioned putting in gay representation, trans acceptance and lgbtq propaganda. I can only imagine Howards face when these sjw devs come up to him and ask about adding in the kind of shit the beyond skyrim modders put into their skyrim mod, with tranny argonians and shit.

Maybe they could write a few more waifus and less ugly bull dyke 'stronk womyn' characters.

well.. New vagas is a overrated paid-mod for fan puritans who won't let go, repconn? hubologists.

To be honest, I think that Deus Ex isn't really a RPG, it deserves to be it's own genre kind of.

Excellent :3

Whats this guy's name again?

Its a niche market sure.

But so are JRPGs and VNs. Niche gamers are autists willing to spend money IF you make a good game. They are not Holla Forums pirates, whiners and poorfags.

ayy

Good, believe that. Not like video games attract anyone who can write worth a damn anymore.

As always they never see blame in themselves and their actions, only the environment and others. Never their fucking fault.

Territorial Rotbart?

The Toddler is a talentless, soulless hack. He'll do whatever his Jewish masters tell him to do. Everything he has made was garbage, he has no wish to create a good game and only gets by because normalfags are so stupid they mistake TES for a good franchise.

That's true. I just recently played Dead Money and had the 20+ minute conversation with Dog/God and realized that I was having a load of fun trying to pick the dude apart with dialogue, it kept my interest. When it concluded I realized that I had never played another game that even offers anything close to that.

Murder is very common and found in most CRPGs. Maiming is often used as a punishment that is a step below murder. Torture often takes the form of violence during interrogation. Many games allow selling NPCs into slavery. Prostitution is common. You must always play a lawful good character.

And this is as JRPGs continue to flourish and evolve.
Good riddance to this dogshit genre, WRPGs are for people who don't have actual friends to play tabletop RPGs with, go make some like most other normal people instead of beating your dicks off to Chris Avellone or 2/3 decade year old games that'll never have even a door-opening chance at a genre or franchise revival. These threads are just a shittier version of /tg/.
Golarion>>>>>>any other WRPG story or setting I've played before. Most average GMs rise easily above against these veteran videogame writers in storytelling or creativity.

Haven't the big mainstays of FF, DQ, & SMTPurseowner been auguring into the dirt lately? Or is that what you mean by "flourish and evolve" vis-à-vis doujinsoft quasi-VN panty-sniffing-sims?

Nice kitchen sink setting with tranny writers and tranny dwarves you got there. Clinging to the shittiest 3.5 retroclone to boot, confirming that people claiming that weebs have no taste are 200% right. Buy more splatbooks, you good goy, you!

The problem with Tyranny wasn't the game itself I would say. Tyranny wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't was great as Obsidian were expecting it to be.

If you look at the game it seems like a weird mashup of cRPG element without a real undertanding on how they work together.
Everything you do in the game feels sike a sidequest. You never feel like you are in a choherent world.
And that's the main problem. They obviously tried to create similar quests to old cRPGs but forgot that those only work when they are built up on a strong basis. Tyranny really lacks proper worldbuilding and a proper gameworld. You can see that the quest and story writers thought that their own contributions would have kept the game afloat if you just strung them together, but they didn't.
The game doesn't even haven an ending for fucks sake. They made a linear string of sidequests building up to something bigger and then completely dropped the ball on that.
The reason for that is probably because they thought that they had the next Baldurs gate on their hand, where the journey is much more interesting than the actual ending, but their game design is the complete opposite.
Then they did fuck all marketing for the game, believing it was such a masterpiece that it would sell on name and word of mouth alone, when it was a mediocre title or slightly above average title that would at least have sold decently if the word got out.
I personally saw nothing about this game except a banner ad when I was visiting the paradox forums for a completely unrelated game.
On the point on sjwshit ruining the game I can only partly agree. Sure there is one really annoying feminist character, but you can park her in the tower as soon as you aquire her and never interact with her and the rest of the themes of stronk wymyn isn't bad because they are decently written or nonconsequential. Even the fact that Kyras(the main villain) is female is nonconsequential because she isn't even in the game.
The real sjw tier shit that ruined the game was devs too high on their own fart huffing and believing they are doing stellar work when it's at best mediocre and that infusing their personal visions in the game, whatever they might be, is making up for lacking worldbuilding.

If you look at the game from that angle, it becomes an interesting case study of what's wrong with obsidian and studios like it which I find much more enganging than just laughing at them because they failed, although that's also justified

Only truths. Japan creates anything. Some good, some bad. Western developers only create leftist propaganda and fail at everything that they try to do.

Stdio that hire animals such as women or niggers, or hire LGBT abominations.
That is the reason that they go to shit. It does not need any study.

Tyranny would've been good if it had content

Wew lad, Its not like WRPG have been doing great but JRPG aren't even RPGs and are trash.

I think the problem is Obsidian is incompetent.

Lads, I think we have a problem here and it's a company that's ridden on the good faith of the public for a long time. They had competent writers, but consistently poor technical staff, poor design staff, and all too often have we excused them as they've fallen back on good faith arguments of basic bitch mainstream indie scapegoats. "the publishers are against us!" they cried, as their scores hit 84 instead of the 85 they scored letting their bonus escape them. "but bethesda's games are just as worse, technically!" now now, this is true in its own right and bethesda has its own problems. It's true they're too cozy with journos but there is no denying the case study example here, new vegas was a technical disaster and required third party help to get the game they sold at launch running adequately.

When freed from the shackles of making same engine installments in the established franchises by others, they've squandered every opportunity. Each game a horrible let down, but built on the good faith of their fans, funded by them even, they've happily censored and ignored fans wishes. Released rushed, unfinished turds and the fans offered the same defense. Good faith has to have its limits, and Obsidian has proven time and time again that in the best possible circumstances with none of their scapegoats, they've produced lackluster products.

We need to deal with the Obsidian Question.

quiet goon, go back to codex.

In short, they whined too much in a show of weakness and were devoured from the inside by SJW parasites. These fuckers smell blood better than sharks.

Nice try faggot. Learn what a goon is.

goon

it's more complicated than that. I think they continued to promise greatness, failed to deliver at every turn, and had the exact same issues every time. It's time to cut them out of their safety net and see how well they swim.

No point in reasoning with dense retards like you.

I played Tyranny, and it was honestly good. The only real complaint I had about it was that it obviously ends with such sequel bait. And the DLC they released later on for it is just retarded. You never release DLC for RPGs that take place during the campaign players has already gone through, you always do sequel (never prequel because nobody wants to play a different character)

It had good characters albeit shallow, but they were meant to represent their respective factions more than anything. And a lot of actual choices and consequences to actions you'd not reflect upon until they actually happened. Although, the setup for all of this was poor because you're immediately thrown into the conflict between the two factions, rather than being allowed to try and mend the rift between them (and fail if you have to).

I'm going to sit on my savefile, and hope that they one day release the sequel, and that it gets the treatment those few of us who played it want, and not the treatment Obsidian thinks SJW's want it to have.

The biggest issue of JRPGs is that most of them insist on using the shittiest combat system known to mankind – "attack button, skill button, skill button, for bosses also use item button, repeat the same sequence 6 gorillion times" it's fucking anti-fun, especially when they pair it with their bizarre love of grinding, because it's so much fun to defeat the exact same enemy in the exact same place 50 fucking times using the exact same sequence of commands. To date, I think the only game that managed to make this shit actually enjoyable was Sengoku Rance, and it required a fucking paradigm shift of turning the game into a strategy.

They also tend to be linear as fuck and posses awful writing, which they usually try to make up for with waifubait

Did you even play the game?
There are at least five factions in the game that are adamantly against Kyros' rule, all with varying reasons. And there are loads within the scarlet chorus and the disfavored that are very much displeased with how things are going, even without the conflict between them.

So, did you actually play the game?
If so, when will you be visiting your local doctor for a cognitive test, because you would have to be dreg to miss out even such in-your-face deets.

How the fuck are the disfavored generic? They are a traditional forces handpicked by their leader, mostly because he's somewhat of a supremacist, believing the people of his origins are the strongest. And he was once Kyros's greatest enemy, but now turned lapdog, so he's battling with his ill will for his overlord while upholding his honor. And this isn't even going into detail about the resources and their views on death and fatherhood.

Only it's completely the opposite. The Scarlet Chorus is meritocracy taken to the extreme, to a point that it now looks pseudo-anarcho. They are anything but insane, except maybe their leader because of plot deets I shan't go into. But all the ones that were forcibly initiated and has thrived within it voices that they're glad they are where they are now, in spite of the brutal initation rites.

Anything must be awful writing when you've the cognitive ability of a french bulldog.

And yet you cannot even point out a single agenda. Or something that could be remotely interpretated as one.

Objectively wrong. Combat is fine. But some encounters are repetitive. Encounter design =/= Combat design

And here, a (you).

yes, dropped it after chapter 1 due to how terrible it was.

how is it not generic?

Yeah, all those members talking about how they skinned people alive for no reason, realising they like it, are the pinnacle of rational thought.

uh-huh

It's one of the worst combat systems I'Ve ever encountered. I'd dissect it in depth, but it's been a while, sadly, so I don't remember the details.

Were you even in the threads this piece of shit had on release, or were you still spending your days on reddit at the time? The game was discussed to death back then, showing what a terrible chunk of waste it is.

Opinion invalidated.

Oversimplying makes everything generic.

Oh yeah, truly no reason at all, it's not as if they're in wartimes or anything, or the culture they're in forces them to make them appear willing to do anything do remain in their position in their hierarchy (and thus alive)

This is retarded. Point of the discussion in the game was to point out that nobody knows what Kyros looks like, that he or she is a mastermind pulling the strings without revealing themselves to the public.

As would anyone who is conquering the world by force do, to reduce assassination attempts and what not.

Stop reading too much into it, you're literally poisoned by the anti-sjw well.

Was I even in the threads around the time of release? I was playing video games, which you obviously dont.

Uh oh, watch out. The goon's trying to tell us we don't play video games. That didn't work that last million times your shitty game flopped so what makes you think it's gonna work now?

Well it's true. Who the fuck wants to play westernshit diversity RPGs?

I'd like to know, is Lords of Xulima a decent cRPG?
does it even count as a crpg?

The one single greatest reason that Bethesda games, and by extension NV by Obsidian, are so controversial on this site is because there is one camp that judges the game with mods, and another that judges it without. Without mods all of their games are unquestionably steaming piles of shit. Even Holla Forums's darling Morrowind is hilariously broken without community patches. The conflict always comes when someone points this out, and another person gets really offended because they've put 1200 hours into their perfectly modded install and they think its the greatest game ever.
I'm one of those people but I do have some awareness that it's my own work making plugins and importing others that has made the game great, and not the company itself.

Oh I'm not defending them, I think it had a strong beginning and real potential and they squandered it all. Hell they even released content that should've been in the base game as a "cheap" dlc to restore the cut content. I haven't touched it with th e expansion, but I doubt I'd be willing to pay $40 or whatever they were asking for the base game for all of the content released so far. It's essentially popcorn, no real substance there.

Could you imagine the whole mod mentality anywhere else? You don't see people praise Lucas for the fan edits or junkyards with shrines to Henry Ford. It's fucking stupid.

the viking game was neat

Is this the same obsidian hating autistic spammer that halfchan has?