What are your favorite obscure sub-genres of vidya?

What are your favorite obscure sub-genres of vidya?

Guys?

Hello user. We are asleep right now, come back later after we wake up.

Asleep at 4pm?

i like first person clickers. the kinda game where the mouse is like controlling the head, then when you see an enemy you click on him.

Vs. puzzlers or rail/cabal shooters.

Shooting gallery.

Why has no one thought of this before?

Side-scrolling RPGs.

That game's one of my favourite cabal shooters. You should also check out Sin & Punishment if you haven't played it yet.

Mountain climbers.

but 1st pic is not a sub genre

Turn based games with button imputs for attacks. It keeps me focused, any other turn based game just gets dull and boring.

Jesus Simulators.

Arena fighters

Red XIII is not a dog: he's a hyena.

Double life, ordinary person by the day, hero by the night. Or any variation of this, I wish there was more of this. Will post example pics later.

It doesn't really work like that. If the sub-genre is so small and unknown that it's obscure, then it's usually tied to a single game or series. And since it is so small, then the main distinctive feature of the game would be its quality and novelty, not it's belonging to a sub genre.
In other words what you are asking is:
And I don't think it sits well with me as is.

"Go and do your own thing in this world that is simulated rather than dead and totally dependent on you" like X3, Mount&Blade and Kenshi

kenshi is the closest of what I want, and even though it's such a badly implemented piece of shit, it's so fucking close to the perfect game I want to play that I put up with all the bad crap about it

Loads of people, OP included, have already given examples of the kind of thing he's asking for. You're an idiot.

Metroid-likes (sub-genre of run 'n' guns)

Nothing gets me harder than games with progression systems.
Seeing your character go from some random bumblefuck from a village to some insanely stronk hero who ends up killing god or some shit is incredibly satisfying.

Hentai games that are actual games.

Good man.

My fellow traveler, I applaud your excellent taste in games.

Not just the side-scrolling aspect, but the idea of a bunch of self-contained episodic missions (with your characters aging as the game goes on) is something I don't think I've seen anywhere else.

Also great soundtrack, but it's Falcom so of course.

Zendoku is one of my favorite vs puzzlers, the DS one, never played the PSP version. One of the most famous is probably Catherine, but probably not because of it's multiplayer.

Does anyone have a list of detective/ murder mystery games? Or escape the room games?

FPS-RPG stealth horde shooter and psychosis simulator

- Raising/breeding. Specifically, Creatures 2 and 3. Bonus points if you can share them between friends.
- Hero creation. Graffiti Kingdom, Soul Caliber and any other game where you get to create a custom character.
- Explore with friends. Games like Ragnarok, where you had more fun just gathering together as friends and exploring the maps than actually grinding.

Sports sim with additional modes

This but seeing different armor sets or weapons on your player character. Diablo 1 and 2 really blew me away with this kinda stuff and made me want to find more and better items.

platform fighters probably dont count as obscure because of smash bros but I like them
games where a majority of the combat is interacting with the environment cleverly instead of using your own abilities (some stealth games try this)

I started playing Kamidori last week. I tried aiming for autistic warrior girl but somehow ended up with clumsy sorceror loli. I even watched Yuela's scene. How did this happen?
Game's good despite there being no lewdness in sight. I have a god damned succubus in my party and nothing has happened. What the hell.

Don't you know everyone on Holla Forums is a highly functioning adult ?

Squad based action games with genetic mutation.

Visual Nov- oh wait