Do you prefer to play your games modded or vanilla Holla Forums?

Do you prefer to play your games modded or vanilla Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youdubber.com/index.php?video=LO1lLx0Ag5Y&video_start=5&audio=mZ_22R7ZGMw&audio_start=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I usually only use the ones that fix bugs or gets rid of an annoyance.

Both. Doom 1&2 are a good example of this.

Usually I play vanilla first unless a mod improves performance or fixes bugs and nothing else

Vanilla first, always, unless it's gamebreaking.

I always play vanilla.
Whenever I consider installing a mod for a second or later playthrough, I end up feeling like every single one breaks the game balance one way or another and end up not installing any.
The only exception would be using unofficial patches to fix bugs and whatnot.

vanilla for first playthrough, modded for repeat playthroughs.

Depends. I have never played any Elder Scrolls game without mods even first playthrough because either my friend or anons have told me the games are literally broken and require a lot of unofficial patches.
Mass Effect 2 I played vanilla first time around but any later playthrough i mod it to add back in the weapon heat system, change which guns characters can use, speed up shit like the cursor in planet mining, and remove universal cooldown on abilities. The game plays alot more like Mass Effect 1 and I much prefer it this way.

The only types of mods I bother with are full conversion mods so I mostly play vanilla unless it's shit like fixes for modern systems.

Vanilla, then modded. The only time I do otherwise is if the game is unplayable without mods or unofficial patches.

I don't enjoy modding single player games unless it's a fix shit mod.

I believe that mods should only be for the enhancement of the base game.
If vanilla game is shit, then that means that the mechanics are shit, and no matter how many mods you add, it's still gonna be shit.

Always Vanilla.
Never Modded.

Taste vanilla before you add sprinkles.

/thread right here.

Do I prefer a game that is good out of the box, or do I prefer a game I first have to dick around to make good? Gee, what a dilemma. I guess the exception is when there is a source port that does everything in a clean way and improves on the original engine in every way possible, like Arx Libertatis does for Arx Fatalis.

That said, even if a game is good, having the option to add some sprinkles after having played through it is a nice thing.

if the mod improves graphical fidelity or textures i'll install it. Otherwise i'll beat the game before I make any major changes.

modded for undub/anti-censorship

What about things like cosmetic/graphics mods (either for graphical improvement or otherwise)? Or perhaps cut content mods with content the developers planned to put in (and maybe was indicated in unused game files) but weren't implemented in time?

I guess it's to say, are there any sorts of mods out there that you think would enhanced a first time playthrough and making the game itself better than straight out of the box? I know that appearance wise at least, FTL: Faster Than Light looks much better with a couple of cosmetic and UI mods installed. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic also looks way better with a couple of graphics mods installed and taking the time to do that. Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Fallout 2 benefit heavily from compilation mods which restore cut content as well as various bug fixes, etc.

First vanilla, then add sprinkles.

Vanilla, since it's how the game was meant to be played. Do you prefer your elf homunculus to be adult, or loli?

Modded everytime, aslong as they are good mods though.

mod them after finishing them once so i can replay the game

I complete the vanilla fully first and then mod the game very hard until my potato toaster crashes.

First this.
After I've beaten the game, I get mods that either change or add things that seem appealing.
Bonus points if they overhaul the whole world giving me practically a completely new game.

Also,
Good taste, OP.

Do you prefer good threads or half-assed shit?
Oh, right.

I usually only mod the first run if it makes the game objectively better by adding quality of life improvements, then once I'm bored of that I mod the fuck out of it.

I mod my game by adding mods that fixes stuff to it. (Is it modding at this point?)
The SilentPatch for GTA: 3/VC/SA for example.

Of course, I play it vanilla first so I can appreciate how the sprinkles I put on the second time around interact with the flavor.

I like to replace the OST's in my games with foreign .ogg files. Sometimes, I find that I even improve the experience quite well. For example: Risk of Rain's Hive Cluster recycles the level theme from Sky Meadow which does not fit the level very well. Serendipitously, however, those levels have .ogg files that are seperate from each other so I was able to replace Hive Cluster's level theme with Agoraphobia by Earth/The Bug.

I've found gameplay of that level with no commentary and no in-game music playing so you can watch the audio tracks for both of these videos in this youdubber link:

youdubber.com/index.php?video=LO1lLx0Ag5Y&video_start=5&audio=mZ_22R7ZGMw&audio_start=0

vanilla but after waiting a bit until the developers released a patch that fixes the biggest bugs