2002 + 16

Is it really THAT hard to make another game with an equal amount of freedom and worldbuilding that supports it?

uhhhhh you obviously haven’t played skyrim, you should go buy it right now.

yeah um oh uhh yeah well yeah no

A TES game without loading screens and separate zones would certainly be a step up.

Yes. It's much cheaper to sell games based on advertisements.

you're a funny guy OP

I like killing raiders or bottom of the barrel people. It feels good ridding the world of trash.

Fucking retard.

Might make sense in towns, but I don't know how you can make a remotely sizeable dungeon without a loading screen.

good thing they only take about a second to load even on a pc made when it released

miss

Just because it was baby's first RPG doesn't mean it was anything other than a worthless shitfest that looked like shit even when it came out.

only the human character models look ugly
the other stuff looks pretty good

Save for the pants of head retarded combat, I enjoyed Morrowind a lot.

You don't even need to do that. Just fight with full stamina, and have like 30 or 35 weapon skill and about 40+ agility

That would be Fallout 1 and 2.

Fallout 1, 2 are even more broken than Morrowind combat wise, and have a steeper learning curve for beginners.

That would be Tales of the Unkown: A Bard's Tale

How? It has little customization compared to Morrowind.

Realistically and unironically speaking though, baby's first RPG would be one of those SNES and PS1 JRPG's.

I vote final fantasy
I would say Dragon Quest as well but they're actually fun so they don't really deserve it

The special system is broken to begin with, and the beginning is a bitch if you fucked up onyour character, and have no idea where to go.

Also

Game devs don't care about making a good game. They only care about lining their pockets. Appealing to the normie masses is what gets you the most money.

The SPECIAL system isn't even complex, it's just extremely useless due to the retarded accuracy, critical, and damage range mechanics.

I think you mean D&D

Yeah because a completely broken RNG combat system, ass visual design, flat as fuck worldbuilding and a plot which doesn't get moving and stops faffing about until about the last 1/4 of the game makes for a good game.

Morrowind is the first thing that would come to my mind if asked for an example of a "bland game".

The fuck does that have to do with anything? Fast traveling between towns doesn't fix the fact that moving any higher than a snail's pace drains your stamina. The game isn't even playable unless you start as Breton and just go straight to the boots of blinding speed with zero detours.

Morrowind is good on every count except gameplay.
The story is great, the writing is great, the music is great, the atmosphere and design are great, the lore is great, the quests are interesting, everything is there except the gameplay.

The atmosphere and music are its weakest parts.

Still better than most action CRPG's of the time tbd. I mean, look at how shitty Gothic's controls are. At least Morrowind's controls are great and the game is more focused on exploration than combat.

The visual direction is actually really creative and good, reddit. The south and middle east asian inspired lore is more creative than most if not all european high fantasy games.

There's rarely any combat outside dungeons, just press the rest button before any combat or make some stamina potions. It's a non issue.

I play as imperial all the time and I move around anywhere just fine. All you have to do is memorizing the stilt strider and ship routes, and improve your strength to 100 to move faster.

The magic and alchemy can be fun to play around in. The atmosphere is just incredibly dull and boring. The music is so shitty and repetitive it just gives you headaches.

so what you're saying is it's a ridiculously strong game

STALKER honestly is the only game that does open world right. Though I'm not sure if STALKER is open world or open hubs.

What?

a musical score often considered one of the best in the history of video games? atmosphere that makes each area feel different while always feeling like you're in a mildly alien world without going too far off the deep end?
if those are its weak points then surely the game is a classic for all time.

but perhaps you just like Oblivion's ideal european countryside

Literally who has every said this?

Morrowind's color palette is worse than the Fallout games.

No, it means these things are even worse than the shitty gameplay.

STALKER does open world terribly wrong though. It's a mess no matter how you see it. MMO missions that are located far away from the quest givers who pay you with petty rewards, mess up with the duty and you can't save the game, load time up the ass, totally shitty chernobyl NPP section, no fast travel whatsoever, it has endless problems.

Not him, and I don't imply that it's considered one of the best video game music in history, but it's just pleasant to the ears, moreso than most games. It's not a terribly complex composition, but it doesn't annoy you either.

Are you color blind? Try comparing Ascadian Isles to Molag Mar.

Funnily enough, I've always thought of STALKER: SoC to be "Morrowind with guns".

The only thing STALKER has in common with the TES series is item management tho. Hauling enemies' guns to make cash.

i hate the horrible text based options for speaking and near non-existant voice acting
New Vegas was right compromise in this regard

There's hardly even any conversation in Morrowind, speechcraft skill is useful for persuading people rather than finding information. I personally like it.

You mean fallout 3.

New Vegas was literally just a Fallout 3 TC mod.

That's a good thing, though. They introduced fast travel in the sequels, and that instantly made the sprawling levels less meaningful. Plus, including fast travel encourages timewaster fetch quests, which were already bad in SoC like you mentioned, but reached an apotheosis of stupidity and busywork in CS. By contrast, CoP's quests were the best in the series, by far. I agree with the rest of the sentiments in your post, though.

Actually, yes.
Turns out modern consoles are harder to program than the Atari Jaguar. So they need larger and larger teams to make up for the extra effort. With that it causes no one to have any passion for any projects

It's what's causing people to leave companies and start Indy games and why we should abandon consoles

Running from hub to hub is brainless and tedious.

It's meaningless to begin with. STALKER doesn't give much incentive to explore. Even moreso in CoP, most of the good stuff are sold by the traders. The only reason to go out in CoP is to farm artifacts in the same zones over and over again until you get enough cash for full upgrades.

I agree, but it's a really short game, and there's literally nothing to do outside the quests in CoP, the Zone is underpopulated as hell.

The only reason why consoles existed in the first place was because computers back then had crappy graphic drivers anyway. Atari's goal with the 2600 was to bring arcade experience to home, something that PC's back then were incapable of. Console only started becoming cancerous when Nintendo brought the NES, that was the point when console games started becoming PC games lite.

TES was a mistake, it's nothing but trash

Wrong on both, which was exactly my point. The music is incredibly unpleasant to listen to. It's grating, repetitive, and gives you headaches. Morrowind is the only game I can think of where I actually got a headache from how bad the music was.

P O O R F A G S

this game is hard

Gothic 1 + Gothic 2 my boy.

Witcher 3 is also good.

[spoiler]

God I played this game a LOT on the Xbox when I was a kid.

But it is too complicated and obtuse for modern Elder Scrolls players.

they would probably be better than regular argonian bitches that for some reason have fucking mammaries despite being reptiles, so post some.

nice post faggot

In regards to its open world the endless barren zones were its only faults.

oh, a contrarian.

You clearly haven't played Breath or the Wild yet or have shit taste.

isn't that the one where zelda becomes a faggot and dresses like a girl

i rather play link to the past :^)

Do you even cliff racer bro?

My favorite Zelda is skyward sword, and because this thread is 80% trolling already, you'll all assume I am, as well. It's the perfect crime.

Holy fuck no, its a pinnacle of unique storytelling but it hardly even beats anything past the decent line.

Gothic is pretty much the pinnacle of worldbuilding, compact yet never boring to go trough, morrowind never does that.

>>>/cuckchan/

Not in the zone it isn't. You ever played STALKER? Exploration and safely progressing a dangerous environment with random baddies is one of it's strongest mechanics the game has.
As apposed to what? It gives you plenty for the reason you stated after this. Get helpful artifacts and sell the ones you don't want to improve your loadout. God forbid the game allow you to progress in a natural way huh?

It's not repetitive and the instruments doesn't hurt your ears. Compare that to Fallout 2's annoying tribal drums and Gothic 2's abrasive instruments and more dissonant composition.

In SoC, most of the levels are linear and visiting most places is useless without "discovering" the stash. In CoP, all you do to get rich is visit an anomaly pool to farm the artifacts once, go back to the base to sleep, and return later after the blowout. The only stuff worth finding were the upgrade tools, and the area where the best tools were located at were locked. Once you unlocked the area, the game would be going to end soon.

If your worldbuilding is all about muh non-linear exploration then spare me the drivel.

Why are there so many newfags all of a sudden and why can't I gas them?

I was talking about the level design. But even at worldbuilding, Morrowind is still better than the Gothic games. Morrowind transcended the LotR/DnD/Ultima roots of RPG lore while Gothic's lore still feels too much like Ultima and LOTR.

This is your idea of world building?

So, they're perfectly functional? Also with high speechcraft, you can taunt some of them until they turn into a goldmine.

Gothic 1+2 with its closed dynamic worlds are much, much better than Morrowind.

hello Todd

Morrowind was it's Skyrim of the time (along with Final Fantasy VII of course).

Overhyped trash.

They have found a way to become an improvement.

I want to make a Dunmer Monk and I need some suggestions. Obviously he should have hand to hand and unarmored, but what else?
I also need some roleplay ideas. I'm going to do the pilgrimage and the temple quests, but beyond that I'm not sure.

Do that while afflicted with the werewolf disease.

Morrowind is the pinnacle of open world design?

I must've found my way to reddit.

Reddit loves all of poorly designed trash known as The Elder Scrolls.
The entirety of the franchise has essentially been marketed towards people who don't care if the selling point of a game is flawed, incoherent world design. The Elder Scrolls is a textbook example of how not to design an open world for exploration through characters and vistas.

Why aren't you using OpenMW with cell preloading, fag?

it loads cells that it thinks you might go to, like if you go into a city it will load nearby interiors

You do it by dynamically loading shit as you go through the dungeon, do you think the entirety of Lordran is loaded when you start up Dark Souls 1?

I love how shitposters never offer what is a good version.