Meltdown

MELT THEM ALL
support.ubi.com/en-US/News/000032874/Degradation-Multiple-Games-PS4-XB1-PC-January-6
epicgames.com/fortnite/forums/news/announcements/132642-epic-services-stability-update
Post additional kills if you find them.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/RaNZI
marketwatch.com/story/intel-ceo-sold-millions-in-stock-after-company-was-informed-of-vulnerability-before-disclosure-2018-01-03
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892
catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056897
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056898/windows-81-update-kb4056898
please
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/184wcDt9I9TUNFFbsAVLpzAtckQxYiuirADzf3cL42FQ/edit#gid=0
archive.is/jCHEW
forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1820563-January-6-–-Online-Services-Degradation-–Multiple-Games-Multiple-Platforms-Forums
developer.arm.com/support/security-update
archive.is/Ord6O
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

thats what you get for buying intel

why did this happen?

Not the best, but sure as hell not the worst.

Ryzen is good for the price, but that's all based on multi core performance.

I still can't think of any practical use for a Threadripper outside or professional/business application.

archive.is/RaNZI

Last time I will ever get Intel, but at least I didn't feel like I completely wasted my money

thread ripper isn't intended for everyone, ryzen is. despite intel's FUD campaigns, applications are becoming more multithreaded and more cores already means better performance/lower utilization.

So what happened?
That security flaw was discovered and everyone scrambled to patch it, and suddenly had to deal with 30% reduced processor (aka 3.33x the workload)?

What the fuck am i reading?

yeah, it had to be patched or else everyone would have been incredibly vulnerable.

All modern chips prefetch memory the processor thinks you will use in the CPU cache for performance reasons. It's possible to read memory in userpsace this way (This is Spectre)

Now lets talk about how Intel does it!
Intels prefetcher is really bugged, because by executing instructions in the right order, an attacker can coax the prefetcher on Intel CPUs to fetch data from Kernel memory BEFORE the kernel even has a chance to say "Don't prefetch that retard!" (Meltdown)

What's the difference and why is Intels problem worse you say? Because Kernel Memory is where vital shit like passwords are stored. Usermode memory is basically where normal program memory is stored. Spectre allows attackers to steal Usermode memory, which may give them superficial information about their target. Meltdown is worse because attackers can dump kernel memory, gaining access to real identifiable info.

You also cannot patch either of them because its an issue entirely in hardware, you can only mitigate the problem. The way to mitigate it is by gating usermode access to kernel memory, before usermode programs could access kernel memory through virtual memory because it the kernel could generally be trusted to say "Do not read shit you're not supposed too!"

The result is up to 30 percent performance hit on all patched computers running Intel chips
Do not fret
1.) The 30 percent was only seen through synthetic benchmarks

2.) Video games are generally considered to be unaffected, as well as most normal applications like web browsers and video editors

3.) Servers are taking the biggest hits because database software MUST read kernel memory from usermode thousands of times a gay

4.) As long as an application does not need to read kernel memory from usermode frequently, you are generally considered safe from performance issues. (ie. if an application is 100 percent run in usermode, or 100 percent in kernel mode)

The gist of it is as follows:
Servers using Intel processors had to be patched for an exploit called Meltdown. The security patch caused some performance deficits. This only really affects servers while average consumers, running video games locally, should not be impacted unless maybe they're on Linux.

There's another exploit called Spectre which affects both Intel and AMD. Both Meltdown and Spectre exploits have been known for a long time, yet now, for some reason (likely market manipulation), the exploits are making big news.

Thanks for the summary

happens on AMD and ARM too you fucktard wannabe special snowflake pisspuddle

Thanks for compiling that information though

You're welcome anons, excuse my sloppy typing

what specific updates do I install to secure myself?

Running vidya on Linux isn't really affected unless you're using Wine.

Did someone sell share before the revelation?

marketwatch.com/story/intel-ceo-sold-millions-in-stock-after-company-was-informed-of-vulnerability-before-disclosure-2018-01-03

Both Windows and mainstream GNU/Linux distros have rolled out patches already. Just grab the latest updates for your OS

Intel is also planning on rolling out microcode updates, but AFAIK this will not directly mitigate any potential performance losses and is just an extra layer of protection in case computers happen to be running unpatched software

Intels CEO actually did, and he's being accused of insider trading as a result. Supposedly it was part of a routine expenditure program and unrelated to Meltdown, but Intel was well aware of Meltdown long before their CEO sold his shares, so people aren't buying that shit.

Also if you're a Macfag, OSX was supposedly patched weeks ago

Well fuck. There better be something to come out of it, I'm starting to get annoyed by big politicians and CEOs shitting on the law at every turn without consequences.

I think its time people actually did start paying more attention to AMD. Especially after this shit

I haven't updated my Windows in a year, and it doesn't seem like I can sort by date. Do you have a specific KB? Date?

Meant for

IS THIS THE YEAR OF THE POWER9 CPU?

what did he mean by this?
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892
This was the latest update I received myself and that was right after Meltdown disclosure, but no specifics for Meltdown are in the update notes

Here is the windows 7: catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056897

I use windows 8

Shame on you: support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056898/windows-81-update-kb4056898

Wait, there it is, the last bullet point

Thank you, but it's weird how I don't actually have anything from 2018 when I told Windows Update to check. Does Microsoft prevent you from getting certain updates if you've barely installed any?

To the average end user they are 100% unaffected by the change, stuff like gaming/web browsing/content creation has shown that this change had zero effect, literally zero effect

My own benchmarks across four machines have shown no change in FPS in games, or speed of encoding video or web browsing

However, what this change does effect is read/write from data, such as hard drives/networking systems etc, and this is why Ubisoft's servers died because they saw a spike of 25-50% in workload

This means literally all gaming servers soon will switch from Hard Drive storage to SSD storage as it's the only thing fast enough to mitigate the CPU overhead, something EVE Online discovered half a decade ago

Also again: I fucking told you so anons, this change had literally nothing to do with gaming as GPU talking to CPU is not the same as its not the same as CPU talking to data like hard drives etc and this all related to memory storage and retention and not calculations

Thanks for reiterating what I already said I guess?
Although it is true, and my own benchmarks can also confirm this. It seems Microsoft mitigated the issue (according to the patch notes) by moving parts of the Windows Graphics stack to userpsace Something Linux was already doing, hence why Linux gaming benchmarks also showed 0 percent performance loss as a result of the PTI patch either
This was mainly made to be a big deal since Google and Amazon were shitting themselves as their businesses were most affected by this. For everyone else it really isn't an issue

i wanted to play siege tonight, fucking useless ubisoft

Play Killing Floor instead.

Apparently the update has issues with some anti-virus: please use archive.is2018/1/4/16848976/how-to-protect-windows-pc-meltdown-security-flaw
Here is the list of the ones that are compatibility: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/184wcDt9I9TUNFFbsAVLpzAtckQxYiuirADzf3cL42FQ/edit#gid=0

The issue is some anti-virus software took advantage of Windows' memory architecture in unexpected ways
too be honest I've just used Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials and haven't had any issues. No sense using a bloated AV software that works by becoming a virus itself

eh i'll just play a single player game

I didn't know that, thanks

Yesterday anons were screaming "END OF INTEL" etc and kept mentioning 30% performance loss, except when I read about the exploits and how they work I pointed out that it would only affect data centers and you and I as users would be 100% unaffected by this

They then proceeded to sperg out and call me "Shill" etc and then repeat absolute fucking gibberish that "ALL GPU INSTRUCTIONS MUST TALK TO KERNAL" etc since they looked at one singular diagram and drew endless conclusions about how computers work because of that, even though like you pointed out user space and kernal space are entirely unrelated areas of processing data

I'm just being snarky and repeating "I TOLD YOU SO" after all the anons two-three days ago declared I was wrong

Me too, wtf kind of sentence is that?

I recommend Divinity Original Sin 2 or Underrail.

Well, that's true, but I don't know what the Commodore 64s OS has to do with this ;^)
Its always fanboys saying shit like that. Still, my next system will likely be AMD myself, there's nothing I hate more than fanboys spreading conjecture

If anything in three gaming benchmarks I saw improvements in framerates, The Division for example I went from 98.3 FPS average to 99.8 FPS average with the change

A difference of 1 fps is typically margin of error shit. Suffice to say, there's really no difference whatsoever

Streamers that stream to every possible streaming site.

Nope. This is the Meltdown fix, which is Intel-only. Spectre fixes haven't been deployed yet but they're expected to be much lower impact.

The person that typed that 100% ran down glow in the dark CIA niggers with their car.

Oh oh they also spouted off jibberish that your mouse/keyboard use would be 30% slower because of the change because "They used HALT commands" except unless you're using the PS2 port USB devices only need to access the kernal when plugging in the first time and then all data instructions are either user space (Keyboard/mouse/sound card etc) or kernal space (Transferring files)

And yeah 1% falls within margin of error but I was just throwing it out there that I saw minor improvements

RING ZERO

Once Zen 2 and Threadripper 2 come out, you'll question practical use of any Intel CPU.

It's going to be the end of a few jobs in the places where this bug wasn't patched after being screamed about everywhere between here, Drudge Report, normie news and probably the New Farmers fucking Almanac since then.

Heil Hitler!

4 off.

That pretty shameful.

How about these then?

So cancerous.

Why are these incompetent retards did not bother stress-testing some patched servers first?

Because they have probably outsourced their server to some pajeet country that don't give a fuck.

I hope you didn't just gave someone an idea that will later flow into the world.

There are sites that mirror streams to other sites. That being said twitch "partners" aren't allowed to do this.

Repeating digits.

I haven't patched anything yet because I have Windows updates all turned off. Been too busy with RL/family stuff to really touch my pc in past few weeks.
Do I need to choke on dick and update right now?
Am I already dead?

AMD processors have HSV-1. Intel processors have that, plus AIDS.

>tfw it doesn't matter

Download the standalone Windows update and run it. for Windows 7 or if you're a Windows 8 faggot. If you run Windows 10 Microsoft will fix its own computer and let you use it later.

This is why windows 10 is superior. You can't really turn off security updates, and OS will force you to reboot. It will never melt.

Because it was never a solid OS to begin with

You can turn all the updates off.

On the bright side, this means people will be dumping Intel chips enmasse in order to "upgrade" to another chip that's not fucked by design - meaning you can probably throw together a really nice gaming/multimedia rig, block updates, and just never take that fucker online if you're paranoid.

Ebay is going to be flush with old office PCs that are cheaper to just shitcan and buy new rather than trying to fix the problem and deal with the downtime. They'll be a nice base system to just throw a graphics card and extra stick of ram into and have a decent HTPC for every TV in your house.

Is there such a thing that isn't some mhz shit from the 80s?

For Meltdown yeah, any non-Intel CPU, meaning AMD. For Specter, no, it's gonna have to be 80s MHz shit.

You're nopt trying hard enough. Ultimate Windows Tweaker, or Destroy Windows 10 spying does the trick.

same, because of wannacry and telemetry pill
and now i gotta keep up with updates and after not updating so long?
didn't windows propose an updates solution to wannacry too, but all you had to do was delete an older telemetry update? what if this is the same scare into updating?

I'm in the same boat and am also curious.
I shit you not the first thing that came to mind was the scene in Doosex:HR where they try and trick you into getting your (((augments))) patched.

Looks like CPUs need to check their privilege.

I didn't think Spectre was possible to mitigate entirely, and what ones existed had to be done with changes to compilers, meaning bad things unless you're a Gentoo user.

It matters in that Windows definitely does shady bullshit, and that your system should be harder to get a foothold in to begin with.

archive.is/jCHEW

Uh, that's no longer the case.

forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1820563-January-6-–-Online-Services-Degradation-–Multiple-Games-Multiple-Platforms-Forums

link broken, here's a another one

Nope user, most ARM chips are not affected by this.
For instance the cortex A53 is not affected, and it's a modern chip (mounted in the Samsung S7).
developer.arm.com/support/security-update

Some arm Chips are affected, but not the vast majority.
The downside of that solution is that most software for computers has been written for x86-64 so yeah you gonna need a good emulator and will have perf issue.

Another solution is full blown virtualisation, in that case spectre or meltdown can only read the memory from that VM.
But again performance loss is to be expected.
No perfect solution is out there, perhaps the next processor gen will solve the issue.

Manufacturers will just inject some new exploit at the behests of the government and a few years down the line the same circus will happen.

with spectre / meltdown VMs can dump the entire hosts memory, that's the whole problem.

already been addressed intel shill. they're fixing it.

Need I remind you it was one of the people working with AMD who said they couldn't fix the bug only for them to magically 'reconsider' as soon as the marketing department stepped in? Because I sincerely hope you're not trying to accuse me of spreading misinformation because muh Intel.
archive.is/Ord6O

Stop being a fag. Intel and AMD are thoroughly kiked, all tech made within the last two decades has backdoors and is also kiked. AMDfags are pahetic, Intelfags are pathetic. Having loyalty to a brand of computer components that are spying on you, selling your information and crippling performances for future sales is stupid.

They pushed out an alpha driver that fixed it last week.

Is there tiny chance we'd get less "always online" bullshit?

No, they'll just crowbar in more microtransactions to pass along the cost.

So we'd get games not working properly due to server failure + more microtransactions. This will be final nail to the ubishit coffin

Update on Ubisoft, like a company that can sometimes use a brain they bought a bunch of commercial SSD's and servers are back up and running, I dare say better than ever as the lag in The Division is now like zero

Unlikely, since the costs of keeping the servers up is negligible compared to the money they make.

Nice numbers user

I apologize in advance for derailing the thread.

14111134 and ubisoft goes out of business in 2 years.

Nice hexes
Hexagon infinity opens the door

the user didn't say Killing Floor 2

Why do people still buy (((intel)))?

Well they don't anymore
Right?

Well it offered better performance for most of the time, otherwise normalfags wouldn't use it so much.
Amd will pickup huge performance boost once games will be optimized for more cores which may or may not happen. Amd does that funny thing with releasing cpus literally made for future technology and once the technology hits intel or even amd themselves will have better cpu offers, 1st ryzens are most bizzarre case of this happening.
I assume you only give a fuck about vidya

I appreciate your numbers, but not what they indicate.

That's the worst case scenario, which Holla Forums always gravitates toward. The number from the Register article everyone is parroting, cited as a ballpark figure, is 5-30%, with tests on PostgreSQL reflecting 17-23%. Games are certainly going to be on the lower end of that scale, if an impact is perceptible at all.

kek have you committed suicide yet?

End user performance such as gaming/content creation/browsing was 100% unaffected by the change as it all takes place in user space

Unless you're transferring terabytes of data per second the patch will have zero impact on you, multiple benchmarking sites have already confirmed this

Man, Intel fucked up so much worse than with "20 STAGE DEEP PIPELINE" this time.

If nothing else, I'm now really irritated at this bug for forcing me to temporarily remove Microsoft from my router-level blacklist. But thanks for the direct link so I don't have to turn on Windows Update.

Also, I'm mildly disappointed: after reading OP's post. for an exciting moment, before realizing it was the meltdown bug, I'd thought Ubisoft's servers had all literally melted. Now THAT would be a sign that there is a god sitting on a cloud.

Yes, but nothing will happen to them.

Is this thinly veiled Holla Forums thread?