Why is it that we never see any Zelda style games being made? Is it because they are too difficult to make...

Why is it that we never see any Zelda style games being made? Is it because they are too difficult to make? The only ones I can think of are some ancient mediocre clones for the 8 and 16-bit consoles when people were trying to make their own Zelda, Okami, the Darksider games (mainly the first one), and the Ittle Dew games. And out of those the only one that is good is Okami. Can anyone think of any decent ones on PC, let alone modern consoles?

Other urls found in this thread:

solarus-games.org/
javfor.me/actress/ai-uehara
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have I got a Zelda style game for you

Zelda is referenced as an inspiration for the game's design

Nice pasta

Can you name any other Zelda game where you can play as a swastidong?

Hello fellow Holla Forums poster, I see you liked my JAVfu.

Because Nintendo either killed or mindcrushed anyone who tried. Never forget Gunpei Yokoi.

she really is top tier

I'd rather have more Terranigma style games being made. Zelda was always garbage.

Because no one wants to create or play zeldo style games anymore? The most recent zelda game barely even IS a zelda game and it sold a fucktonne.

It plays more like the first Zelda than any of the other 3D game in the series.

Because linear games like ALttP and OoT are passé. Because having unique items that make sense in the world requires intimate knowledge of game design and how to reward progress. Because players don't want to backtrack. Because the Internet killed exploration and discovery.

Devil May Cry is superior

It was shit, kill yourself

good joke

He's not wrong though. One of the first things Aonuma and his team did when setting out to make Breath of the Wild was literally go back to the basics and make it feel like a modern version of the first Legend of Zelda.

The first game was shit. They didn't get the formula right until ALttP

if "the basics" was to make it feel like skyrim then it succeeded
Maybe Aonuma finally became washed up

Because it's boring as fuck to play Zelda style games. Having played Okami, that game relies on the same fucking gameplay loop for way too long, with the solution to a problem being obvious to anybody with a peanut for a brain, but for some arbitrary reason, you must first collect the magical fucknugget in the Vale of Whatever before you can go to the Palace of Who Cares, to once more find the Cummuffin of Plot in the Temple of Full Nelson to continue on to the next point which you originally had to go to in the first place, only to repeat the same fucking thing. It's boring. And I like Okami. Its gimmicks are neat, I like its art style and the story's aaight but it drags on for way too long.

Darksiders 1

Zelda-like dungeons, puzzles along with compass and chests exactly like Ocarina of Time.

The game was basically just a Zelda game with a different skin thrown over it.

Because no one knows what a Zelda game even is anymore. Okami is Aonuma-tier shit for the game designers to masturbate to the style, and where the gameplay is just a formality chored included because of the (this was before the age of hipster faggots trying to abolish gameplay altogether). Those games are boring as fuck and great if you have too much money you need to get rid off. Aonuma games only sold because of the brand recognition

The original Zelda is what Zelda truly is: take an open-world RPG, remove all the number crunching dice-rolling gameplay, and replace it with arcade action combat. You pick up your sword (well, you don't even have to do that) and then wander off and see where it takes you.

It's not an action-RPG like Diablo where you still have visible stats and (real-time) dice rolling. I propose the term "arcade RPG". Instead of an accuracy stat deciding whether your attack hits you simply make your sword connect with the enemy. Instead of a dodge stat you have to actually dodge the enemies. Instead of levelling up your strength you find a new sword. You could take the combat of Zelda and stick it into an arcade game and it would still work. You couldn't do that with Diablo.

Goddamn this thread will be shit

Well, show me an arcade game where the combat consists of "click and hold on enemy until it dies, also random luck can suck quarters out of your pocket". Arcade games are about reflexes and twitch gameplay. Gauntlet has Zelda-like gameplay (less refined of course) in an arcade game.

What's wrong with action-adventure?

>CLICK AND HOLD
you've never played Diablo, get the fuck out of this thread
it would have the same gameplay (or very similar at least) to any isometric beat-em-up would, like Michael Jackson's Moonwalker for example. The only thing that might present a problem would be the menu-navigation, which wouldn't be too difficult to resolve with how many buttons and joysticks are available on an arcade cabinet
There is a literal PSX version of Diablo and it actually plays well

Doesn't count. :^)
It was actually a real fun game and if they ever made a sequel they would nail the zelda style imo.

Is pic related any good? I hear it plays like an experimental version of aLttP

you're one dumb retarded nigger, people are making zelda-lites all the time, here is another (you) for you because I assume you already knew that

name 5

Because people would call it a Zelda clone and any possible word of praise it could get would inevitably be challenged by those claiming it's copying Zelda. Now, if the game was based on an existing IP that had never seen a gaming release, people wouldn't care less. Look at Goof Troop, which, despite being a puzzle game, is very much styled like a Zelda game.

nice smug cuteness user, can I get sauce on the javfu?
for your answer, OP, is in the chest,
there are plenty of rogue like adventures games like zelda, why do you need a clone or sequel? why don't go out of your shell and try something different?

so fucking pretty but lacking of any real meat to the gameplay.

It's a good game. I completed it but I don't think I'll ever play it again.

Ai Uehara. I don't really want to play a Zelda clone, but I was just surprised that more don't exist given the potential profit

Zelda games don't sell because they're good, they sell because they're Zelda. You could clone the game exactly, only replacing copyrighted elements, sell it for 1/3 the price and no one would buy it.

True. If they sold based on how good they were, then Okami would be the best selling Zelda game.

This is the reality of the situation. IPs sell better than a good game.

how would one go about implementing them in a game and have them actually work, unlike in past zelda games where theyre pretty useless after the dungeon they were introduced in.

Hey, Ittle Dew 1 was pretty good.

Ittle Dew 2 sucked, but 1 had great puzzles and exploration.

Sounds like a game design problem more than an inherent problem with unique items.

You have a point. Other than Breath of the Wild, recent Zelda games haven't had particularly high sells compared to say Mario or Zelda. The games also take forever to release. Even the most recent Fire Emblem games were catching up to them. Zelda has always felt like a prestige brand for Nintendo.

Diablo 3 for the Consoles is basically Gauntlet.

Ai Uehara is the best girl in all of Japanese lewd kino.

World of the West is good. The multi-character feature was implemented clumsily and would have probably just worked better as one character with all the other characters abilities but it still manages to be decent.

I wouldn't say 2 sucks. 1 feels more like a Zelda game, while 2 does its own thing. The open world approach and bullet hell combat makes it alright

the nihongo squeals are the best part

>wanting to see disgusting vinas or pises
You're gay, not even joking.

ok, but how would one go about implementing it? would metroid or castlevania be a better example of unique items?

Simple, have barriers that require the use of those items and make them useful in combat in various ways. Hard mode: make conditions where exceptionally good players can skip those sections by mastering the game. Dante Must Die mode: reward the skilled player that can beat the game in a very low amount of time or completing the game while skipping every power-up by unlocking hard mode.

solarus-games.org/

actually, now that I think about it, there's one thing that Zelda-style games do really, really rarely that I wish they did more often. Ittle Dew 1 did it and it was great. Namely: items that interact with each other.

With most Zelda style games, you get an ability, and you use it to do its own thing, and it never really interacts with the other items. Bomb Arrows are the only exception to this in Zelda, as far as I know. But in Ittle Dew, you get 3 items: the Fire Sword, Ice Wand, and Portal Staff. Individually these items do the following:

Now where this gets interesting is when you combine them. Some examples:

There needs to be more Zelda games that do stuff like that.

Oh and also, if you're going to implement a hookshot style item, making it only work on specific HOOKSHOT APPROVED SURFACES defeats the point and turns it from a fun, freedom-opening mechanic into another boring gating item.

This and pic related. Consider that every clone of these games are by proxy a zelda clone.

top shitpost

Certified gay for masturbating to thinking man instead of thinking breasts.

this

Ever Oasis was pretty okay, but forgettable. Wasn't much to do outside of main story.

Don't fall for the open world meme. That shit has killed plenty of IPs.

Where did I mention postgame?

I do know her, didn't recognize because of the face
oh well, thanks

I get what you are saying, more sidequests would be nice as long as it's not lame shit like collect X amount of Y.

I assumed, my mistake. However most people think that more shit to do outside of the main quest means that the game is suddenly open world.

I think Ever Oasis really needed some other things to do other than grinding materials because it had some soft time locks. Whenever you needed to host a festival, if your shops are still full you can't re-supply them until they sell their merchandise in order to get their stamp. This ended up making you wait ingame days to progress the story. It would have been nice to have things to do like a shooting gallery minigame or anything besides item grinding or the RNG dungeon which is just used for item grinding and postgame bosses.

What the fuck, talk about padding gameplay hours. The only game that managed to pull that sort of shit off well was HM:FoMT.

Only if somehow you frontload all the items in the first game with in 4 4 room dungeons then say "hey skip the other dungeons go straight to ganon if you want." its not like any zelda, not any 2d or any 3d. Without a constant meaningful progression system for traversal methods it is not a zelda game.

Funnily enough, Breath of the Wild actually does think more along the lines of what you're describing here. Since everything is physics-based, not only is it possible to combine your various items and abilities in clever ways, but you can come up with solutions and exploits the devs may not have intended, but are absolutely logical and functional.

(Things like using metal objects with the magnesis spells as pinball bumpers to fire remote bombs long distances; using magnetic power on a chest or dropped weapon to propel boats at high speed; setting grass in fire with a fire arrow and using the updraft to launch bombs at aerial or distant enemies, and so on.) BOTW is a lot of fun to screw around in.

BOTW doesn't have a hookshot, but if there's a sequel on the same engine that does, I imagine it would work almost everywhere.

Darksiders

that came out recently-ish
Hyper Light Drifter
Oceanhorn
Yono and the Celestial Elephants
Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King
Legend of the Skyfish
Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth
Rime
Kamiko
A Knight's Quest
Hack 'n' Slash
Portal Knights
My Time at Portia
Moonlighter
Raji: An Ancient Epic
The Sacred Hero
Phantom Trigger
Pankapu
Mulaka
Figment
Poi
ittle dew 2
Anodyne
Super Chibi Knight
Diehard Dungeon
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Legend of Dungeon

I want that THICC snowbunny to take in my BBC.

Nice

Back to F-list faggot

Okami and Darksiders bored the shit out of me maybe they never made more clones because the "Zelda formula" is just not very good and it only rides on the brand name of Zelda and Nintendo.

Keep in mind that they sell consoles. I know a lot of normies who bought a Switch because they didn't had a WiiU nor cared about Cemu.

Best Uehara Ai codes
go

Riku Minato is better

Is she going to finish that?

Go back to Africa and fuck one of those apes you call women, nigger.

I will right after I rape your women, burn your crops and poison your water supply.

Darksiders is mediocre. I have no idea why people push it as a zelda alternative.

Still manages to be superior to the trash that is the Zelda series

You deserve your ban tornigger

When a perfectly good game like Darksiders comes out, people just ignore it or bitch about it ripping of Zelda, like only Nintendo are allowed to make these kinds of games. Might have something to do with it.

It's by no means an amazing game, but it's a perfectly decent action adventure. I'll take it over some of the more mediocre Zelda games like Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword.

This. It's called "action adventure" because it takes the basic concept of point-and-click adventures (solving puzzles, collecting items, having an inventory, finding keys to unlock doors, etc.) and makes it all based around player actions instead of choosing things from a menu. That's the core of what Zelda is.

Aonuma was sucking Skyrim off back when it first came out. And then he ended up copying it for BOTW. Go fucking figure.

The only game in the series you could make an argument as an "Action RPG" is Zelda II.

Would Beyond Good & Evil count? You spend a lot of time in underworld areas that are basically dungeons and most secondary parts of the game are in the overworld.

Darksider's 2 is very much like Zelda, but with better combat.

Zelda 2 was the only good Zelda game, prove me wrong.

The tingle games were the best Zelda games

probably due to fear of being called a knockoff, granted in todays market if a game used a classic zelda formula with a small semi-open world where you go through dungeons using new tools you get to get past puzzles and enemies it would probably get half decent reception since the last zelda game didn't follow its own formula and opted for the full-open world meme

On sukebei.nyaa.si there are torrents of a collection containing every "work" she has done so far.

Which one is the best? There's like 10 of them in different resolutions and shit.

The description of those torrents contain link to an image with screenshots from every respective film.
There's also his page javfor.me/actress/ai-uehara which contains everything she has done so far.

Holla Forums, please go.

This exactly, it's all in the branding, not the actual game.
See for reference: Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King. Zelda clone that sold like shit

uhhhh……..

that game was surprisingly above mediocre. I just hate when I play a game where some of the shit is pretty cool but you can see that they could have and should have done more with it. Not even sure how or why it took so long to be made.

But are any of these shitty games actually any good?

I thought it was fucking boring and hated walking through the world, gave me a sense of claustrophobia. The enemies were all the same and half of the time I was just walking without encountering any of them plus the combat was annoying.
I didn't play that much of it though and it might have gotten better later but if you're going to start out a game like that I'll have no motivation to go on.

Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury for the GBA.

Not the first one, but Automata is 100% a Zeldo gaym.

What? Are you retarded or something?

Are you a pantsufag by any chance?
Because that site is fucking dead and none of their torrents actually get seeded, why would I link a site like that if I know for sure the torrent I'm referring to has ZERO seeders on their site?

I bet you browse cuckchan to feel more 'crowded'

I don't see this. It mostly feels like a different take on the first ones game play styles, refining it in some ways and changing focus in others. The first being a pretty strict action rpg.

No. There is a difference between an inactive site (which Holla Forums is NOT) and a site with no users. Besides, a torrenting site is fucking useless without seeders.
5/10 bait, made me reply.

animebytes masterrace, public tracker fags are kidding themselves

I haven't played most of those games, but Legend of Dungeon is a roguelite. There's no adventure game elements in it, just RNG dungeon crawling.

Cancerous fags feel free to get out

>"Huh, this looks really neat."

This game was okay, but it wasn't good enough to bother finishing it. It felt sterile and soulless. It had a pretty style and lots of winks and homages to various things, but playing it just reminds me that I should be playing LoZ, LA or LttP instead.

For JAV at least, the Cartel Nyaa has the advantage. As much as I'd hate to admit it, Pantsu is missing a LOT of them.

8ch is a dead site, if you can't apply other meanings to one word you might be retarded.

best 16-bit zelda game

I'm out of the loop, has PS3 emulation come so far that one can expect games to even run without gamebreaking everything?

There are plenty of 3D games with Zelda characteristics. What surprises me more is how few 2D Zelda clones their are; you'd think in the midst of the indie boom there'd be tons of them.

its going through the wii u emulation phase right now. a few games will work but the majority of the library looks like it's gonna be stuck in "in-game but actually just displays the first screen in-game" compatibility state.

Fuck the cartel, Pantsu will make it up eventually

Do you even understand how paranoid about spoilers most normalfags are? Only the most bottom of the barrel types use guides.

No that's just what they told you, in practice that's not what happened.