Celebrating just under a decade since the death of JRPGs as a genre

Was Tales of Vesperia the last GOOD JRPG?

I'm thinking it is.

Other urls found in this thread:

unseen64.net/2012/02/26/tales-of-phantasia-beta-snes/
hooktube.com/watch?v=Ia_XWRj5ugA
imdb.com/list/ls036417104/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

shut the fuck up

you slimy fucking bastard
Also Falcom JRPGs are good so you're wrong about that as well
Bravely Default was solid as well.

Only compared to the competition. I'd rather play Vesperia for the first time than any Ys game.

Bravely Default was fucked just because of the goddamn time loop bullshit that makes you play through the same part of the game, killing the same bosses five times in a fucking row.

Vesperia wasn't even that good. You're letting nostalgia cloud your judgement.

you haven't played any Falcom games I see

Persona 5 was better than Vesperia, lad.

There are better dating sims than Persona to play, my dude.

t. goons

casual

Silly OP, being a faggot like he is. How many dicks does he suck?
Why are Dragoon women so hot? Julienne from I Am Setsuna, Areana Highwind from FFXV, they're both best waifus in their respective games

The Ys picture wasn't a good choice, but the Trails games are good shit.

Undertale was fine?

xenoblade2

Nailed it.

Nice

fuck you and the meme you rode in on you goddamn lowest common denominator gaymer

Proper JRPGs have been dead since the end of the 90s/early 00s. The PS2 generation and beyond is when the entire genre became action-RPG cancer for casuals and normalfags.

god I've always hated you faggots, it's not even the best Tales title

you faggots too

But it undeniably is.

Ooh this is gonna be a bad thread.

are you going to proclaim that you're from the gay community as well?

wew

goddamn you're just as bad

Anons… maybe YOU are the reason this board is bad?

JRPGs are trash that will never come close to WRPGs, deal with it weebs.

t. actual reasons board is bad

Really makes ya think

Its okay to admit to being a casual on Holla Forums, I'm sure there's some faggots who won't have disdain for you here

It's not ok to be a goon on Holla Forums, we BTFO you lads every Persona thread.

WEW
You don't belong here fag

Never going to get those 10 bux back.

nice buzzword

keep shitposting casual, maybe this will help you feel about your lack of accomplishments and make up for your inability to read IDs

stop it

nobody belongs here
NOBODY
And if you think otherwise, you're mistaken.

wew

No it's mostly just you.

WRPGs aren't what one would call "good" though.

Keep embarrassing yourself, goon. I'm here to laugh at you all night.

nah fag, nobody respects your shit thread

let it go. it's no use parading a corpse now.

lel fag
Reminder you will never complete a real game

Vesperia was probably the last game I truly enjoyed playing before I started gaming as a distraction from my life.

I played that game for ~90 hours and damn near 100%'d it. Thanks for reminding me, user.

Nu-Persona blows dogs for quarters.

Yuri was certainly one of the best written protagonists in video games that I can recall.

Excuse me?

GayRPGs

aka shit

I just love how he straight up murdered that rich cunt and told NOBODY.

Other than
what was wrong with Berseria? I liked it :)) aside from the "i won't stop you from leaving the group and pursuing your goals even though i clearly need you by my side" bitchiness everyone had

Or watches as a man drowns in quick sand, with the rope right next to him that he could have saved him with. Looked at it once and then did nothing and admitted it to no one.

shit story, shit characters, shit combat, and shitty difficulties that are all piss easy until the super ultra nightmare difficulty that functionally prevents you from playing as anyone other than Velvet.

opinion discarded, unless you can substantiate it. why even waste your time with such a comment??

I played it and didn't like it, that's my argument. Go away.

when asked to expand on vague opinions
You are the problem.

Shame about the choice of platform though. Why does Bamdai hate Nintendo?

No.

Yuri wasn't the hero that world needed, he was the one it deserved.

Can't find a picture with that stupid hat that I wore the entire game.

you will NEVER EVER learn moonrunes user.

These games always look like the absolute height of genericism in JRPG's to me. An overabundance of the 'JRPG fantasy suit' too. If somebody in a medieval fantasy world is wearing a shirt and tie, I stop playing.

That's because they are, Vesperia was actually fun though

why do you hate fun, user?

Nah, Xenoblade Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, I'd also add Persona 5 even though real-world settings aren't really that interesting to me. I'd be tempted to add FF15, even if it was incomplete, it sets a good direction for the franchise to go in in future, where hopefully they don't have to deal with stitching two very different games together.

Tales of Vesperia was fantastic, and criminally underappreciated though. Best Tales game by a mile.

Does Etrian Odyssey V count?

I'm going to have to say that Xenoblade Chronicles was really well made.

On that note I feel a different way. Western RPG's used to shit on any rpg in the East. Bigger depth. Far more interesting gameplay. Better lore. Better visuals. Anything after 2004-5 though.. I'd say jrpg's have only gotten better in the past 15 years. Final Fantasy 1-7 plays like shit.

I like how Gooks craft worlds and make music but I want my good Western rpg's back. Fuck all the current years.

Believable fantasy is maintained by consistency in design. Modern day clothing has no business being portrayed in a world incapable of producing it. Main characters following modern fashion trends have no business moving around a world of string belted, sack wearing peasants unless it's a time travel plot.

But user, what about the best JRPG?
New stream when?

Berseria was pretty good overall.

Biggest surprise I had for the Vita and still my favorite vita game.

I enjoyed it but I have a few gripes. The setting is pretty boring and generic looking for one. Most of the dungeons are just blank open areas that are boring to run through. There aren't cool sidequests in towns to do that add to the setting either. I don't mind the story and the characters become pretty likable after a while but Magilou definitely carries the fun the other characters lack at times. The story wasn't bad though.

Now the combat ranges from fun to shit depending on what's going on. It's definitely momentum based which I can appreciate but having 1-2 SG makes the game so damn boring. In other games that used a CC system, your minimum CC still allowed you to do 3-5 hits while Berseria has you doing 1-2 attacks for the whole game if you run low on SG. Now you're stuck to dodging until a cube flies out. Obviously this isn't that much of a problem if you don't get hit but it still makes it less fun than some of the other games. It doesn't help that most of the soundtrack is forgettable. For fucks sake get a new composer Namco and let Sakuraba rest or go full apeshit with his content instead of trying to emulate "Tales music".

Another thing. Stop fucking with the dress up Namco. It was really good in Xillia and now you're dumbing it down.

Best JRPG coming through.

Is the 100% translation out or are they still working on it?

It's not out. Not surprising considering the sheer size of the game.

this one plays more like an mmo than a jrpg. its pretty bad.

This franchise peaked with Star Ocean 2

it was a shitty gook rpg though? just look at those horrible deformed muppet character "designs".

I agree with this. I also like additional thematic consistency - clashes of fantasy and sci-fi should be justified and well-established either as a critical plot component or at least built up significantly in setting and lore.
Star Ocean 2, for example, smashes Fantasy and Sci-Fi together, because the plot is basically about a Star Trek away mission to an undeveloped planet that goes wrong. That shit's cool.

Tales of Graces f, on the other hand, is about a fantasy world where all kinds of anachronistic bullshit happens, and then you go to fucking Mars for a little bit because why not, and then there's some planet or something that's all industrial-revolution-era looking and whatnot. It was a mess of ideas that were never fully fleshed out. In fact, JRPG plots and settings tend to be so "throw everything in there and don't bother to justify it because why the fuck not" that I'm not even sure if I actually just described Tales of Graces f or mashed two Tales games into one there. They all just blur together into a single Tales of Mud because they're just so low effort.
I think the problem is that most nip devhouses don't bother with proper world-building. You can have whatever the fuck setting you want in an RPG and it can work - you just need to build it up and make it internally consistent such that it feels believable. The typical JRPG that has a setting as believable as a hastily performed high-school play.

Graces is only held up for combat for a reason and man I love its combat system. But you're right about the series and its settings. JRPGs focus much more on the character interactions between the party. Essentially emulating an anime where the characters and what they're doing sell the story and not the world they reside in.

Rita will always be cute.

OP you're a retard for completely ignoring games such as persona 5, Nier, Xenoblade, Nioh Its a japansese game and an rpg, checkmate Along with a shitload of other games that came out the past decade just to stroke your own e-peen and justify your shit taste. Go fuck yourself and your stupid thread.

Its still a JRPG dipshit. And personally with the amount of content and ambitious ideas in there that you wont see in any other game I think its pretty good.

Thats not a jrpg though.

Tales games all have ton of worldbuilding.
The real problem is that they essentially build the same world everytime and use the same story everytime.
When all your games' worlds include a "There's actually an advanced civilization in another world/on another planet", it doesn't matter if you build it up well, it feels sameish

What's next? Fucking Zelda counts as a JRPG?
Your criteria is shit

As put it, Graces isn't held by its story, but its combat instead.
If you wanna talk worldbuilding though, Abyss wasn't bad in that regard - Many things were explained as having something to do with fonons and shit (e.g. why your big range magic only hurts enemies and not allies is also why Jade can't just use said magic during the assault at Sheridan where there is a lot of civvies: Casters have the 'frequency' of their allies marked so their magic just cancels out with them - but unmarked civvies would be risky since they'd get hurt).
Abyss went very heavy on the LOL FONONS thing for many elements which was an interesting way to justify common RPG tropes such as the maximum 4 player party (can't keep track of too many frequencies to 'isolate' during battle so gotta keep the number low to prevent accidents).

Graces on the other hand was pretty boring in the story and world building, but at least it had some good Pascal/Malik skits.

You're missing the entire point even though its right in your face.
And yeah, Zelda technically does count as a jrpg.

Zelda is action adventure you fucking retards

JRPG doesnt really count as the genre, just as any rpg made in japan. You literally can't prove me wrong. Google it dipshit, dark souls, dragons dogma, pokemon and every other game where you roleplay and is made in japan is a jrpg, genre doesnt matter because they are all made in japan.

Nah, I'll let you wallow in delusion while people who aren't retarded discuss actual JRPGs

Action games are not RPGs you fucking moron.

should I buy this or Xillia 2? Looked like the combos could get pretty nuts in X2.

sure it's still a jrpg, but it's a bad one
remember when ff7 let you freely enter and exit vehicles on the world map? I'm so glad xenoblade chronicles x is taking credit for this 20 years later.

It's a visual menu combat almost identical to that of FF7, just with icons instead of text.
Fuck off.

I hear what you're saying about the combat, and it was fun, but the worldbuilding and storytelling was so weak that the combat felt as though it was in the service of nothing.
Star Ocean 2 on the other hand, which has an essentially identical combat system, also has an extremely rich world and story for the characters to emerge from, and so the combat feels like it means something while at the same time being mechanically fun.
SO2 really does feel like you're playing a high quality anime, with all of the camp/craft skills tying into character development, and all of the different party configurations and branching story paths with so much unique dialogue based on what you do with whom and when. It's a god damn masterpiece, and I just hope that every Tales fan has at least done two playthroughs of SO2, just so they can see what Tales games could be.

I don't know what the relationship between Star Ocean and Tales franchises are. I don't know which came first, or if one is a spinoff of the other, or if they're the same franchise with a false branch appearing out of some localization decision. All I know is that they are presented the same, and their key gameplay mechanics are the same, but Star Ocean is to Tales as Nethack is to Dungeons of Dredmor.

I want to know where Trails in the Skies rank in the grand scheme of JRPGs in general. I liked the story but not so much the gameplay and I wonder if every JRPG is pretty much "spam shield and outdamage the enemy"

Also is lacrimosa actually good? I've been burned by the previous 2.

Trails in the Skies was that puzzle game masquerading as an RPG, right? I found its mechanics so shallow that the story just couldn't hold my interest. It felt like I was playing a mobage, to be perfectly honest.

I don't remember anything about a puzzle. Grid based, garden gnome-ish graphics, really good music?

Was the combat not some grid-based color-coded puzzle system? It felt like victory was more based on doing exactly the actions that the developer wanted you to make, rather than your stats or equipment or novel strategies.
I might be thinking of another game, though.

lol tales games are fucking boring as fuck trash underlined by the same old cliche anime plot each fucking time, weeb taste never ceases to amaze me as they apologize and defend for their garbage games. It feels like star wars fans defending their new shit movie. Enjoy your PSVita games with incredibly narrow gameplay, friends

I just wanted to say that Suikoden 4 and 5 are some of the worst JRPGs I have ever played in my entire life, they're worse than the most mediocre Tales of or Star Ocean game just because those are at least open about their mediocrity.

From the comments there, it seems like Torotoro were also changing lines between part 1 and part 2 which made things even more complex.

Nigger I have no idea what you're describing but that isn't Trails in the Sky. That game's combat system was an isometric turn based tactical affair where you could customize what types of magic your characters had and build up a skill meter to use on character specific skills over time.

Is it actually that good or is it a case of your expectations were so low because you didnt expect an eroge to have good gameplay?

If you are getting Vesperia, then pirate the PS3 version and get the english patch. It's a massive upgrade compared to the 360 version. I would say try out Hearts R over Xillia 2 but know it has a shit translation.

you get cfw for ps.

Besides that, well lad, sorry, but you are wrong. Here are four good JRPGs from the past decade and I will avoid those that can be considered bait like Persona or Dark Souls. You're welcome.

Alright then. I have no idea what I'm describing, but it's obviously not Trails in the Sky. My bad.

I haven't had this much fun with a JRPG in years.
It just goes to show how much better it is when the game lacks a bitch boy protag with constant whining.

I finished Suikoden V many, many years ago, but didn't think it was that bad.
Some of the things about it were interesting, but I was really only into it for the implied pure sibling love.
Final dungeon is irredeemable trash though.

but Ys is good user

They're good for little kids who discover the jrpg genre, but too shallow for anyone past 10 years old

If you like fetch quests, yeah ok

I'll give you this one

The newer atelier games have been pretty good. Persona 5 was good. Star ocean faith and restlessness or whatever was pretty good. natural doctrine, disgaea 5, not really traditional jrpgs but they're also decently good games.

I dare you to play through the intro again without getting tired of the senseless verbiage dialogue and generic anime stereotypes pretending to have an ounce of depth that never shut the fuck up since they need to pretend that it's like "the old games" and the "find the next plot trigger" gameplay mixed with endless backtracking to said plot triggers. I spent 7 goddamn hours skipping through worthless dialog boxes walking back and forth through several ugly goddamn environments with the most half-assed generic political plot-twists since the jackass devs didn't know how to world-build with Konami slashing their budget after the mis-produced shitshow that was 3.

I'm holding out hope for Octopath Traveler being good. I dig the 2D/3D aesthetic; I just hope you can tone down that eye-raping DOF blur and bloom, because holy shit it's over the top.

Nevermind the voiced cutscenes with dialog boxes YOU CANNOT FUCKING SKIP. A good chunk of them are goddamn pre-rendered FMVs since lolwecan'tfigureouthowtodomocaponanactualps when Metal Gear and Silent Hill are perfectly fucking fine, fucking Konami.

Sorry to break it to you, but 95% of JRPGs are shallow. It is a genre staple to be basically VNs that require slightly more player involvement. Only the odd SRPG (mostly from Quest) and some action JRPGs have any depth. The rest are varying degrees of babby tier and are purposely designed to be that way.

JRPGs are the slice of life of vidya and that is not a bad thing. As an user said earlier, they are 'comfy'.

Just ignore that it exists m8. Atlus remakes are always cancer.

the combat system is pretty neat too. There's something hype about stacking your power and bursting it.

Maybe the ones you play
Won't deny there's a lot of casualized ones though

As a game its good but its been NISA'd so don't buy

If we're talking mainstream shit that are praised hell and back like Pokemon or Final Fantasy, I agree with you then. But most rpg like Dragon Quest or Disgaea have an adaptative difficulty where you either grind like an autist and roll on everything without worry or keep your party underleveled and actually have to use supports and items to win

Maybe one day.
I still haven't played the rest of the series and probably won't the way things are.

But it was really a more innocent time for me when everything was new and I thought Xenosaga was a masterpiece, so maybe that's why I never noticed all the flaws.
Or maybe I just didn't care.
It's funny, I went through the game solely to see something involving the little sister and only got teased all the way.

I enjoyed that a lot, and it adds a bit of strategy and fun in finding how to optimally execute a combat turn-by-turn. I found in the demo I was having most fun just seeing the enemies that come up and figuring out the optimal order of attack that gives them the least amount of workable turns. The burst system (or whatever it was called) does a good job of mixing up ordinary and special attacks with an extra dimension to make them more interesting.
I'm just hoping it doesn't devolve into "just hammer attack through every single combat and only turn your brain on for boss battles" like almost every non-tactical RPG ever.

the only time i've grinded on dq was during the 2nd mudo fight on 6 since the aoe fucking burns off 90% of my party's health. pretty impossible to survive through unless i dedicate the hero, muriel and the fucker that just joined to healing hassan the whole time. doesn't help that it summons adds.

dq have gotten easier over time, but i'd admit it's only series from square that i still give a shit about.

Nigger, TLR came out two months after your favorite shitty Tales game.
Go play a real RPG instead of this watered down action-JRPG bullshit.

good game that needs an encyclopedia which i didn't mind at all since i play monhun too.
punishes the fags that grinds to be overleveled to roll through most rpgs then call it easy afterwards.

There's some fights where if you don't have a minimum level to unlock a mandatory spell you're quite fucked, I'm thinking about boss fights who deal damage to your party and you don't have multiheal
I always liked how sidequests and exploration actually meant something in that franchise, it's always a game changer when you get the philosopher stone or the hourglass. In most rpgs, all you get if you stray from the path is currency or some useless consumable

Bait the thread edition

Explain yourself.

Odd how we can still have a good discussion about good games even in a bait thread with a shit OP. It's almost like you're a shitter who came into a 100+ post thread and didn't read anything past the first post, and should probably go kill yourself.

Note that I've only played 3U, so this might not apply to all the games.
Elemental weaknesses and strengths can only be found out without a wiki or guide through painstaking number-keeping. It would take hours to properly build up a strength and weakness table (especially given that you can't change weapons while fighting a monster, and there is no real indication of a hit being quite strong or weak, so you'd just have to time how long it takes to take an enemy down).
It's also sometimes difficult to tell what is actually a monster's weak point without killing it over and over again, so again, you'd have to spend hours per monster figuring out the weak points and cataloging them.
Some materials can take hours to mine as many as you need for a set, so the difference between a location where a mineral is rare and non-rare can be the difference in several hours, so you either have to catalog and test each mineral patch in every location or use a guide.
If you're a boring class who can just whack a monster until it dies and don't care about completing multiple sets, it's not a big deal. More nuanced classes like archers you can only effectively play if you're an autist building your own guide or by using somebody else's.

but EO5 just came out last year user.

feelsgoodman.jpg

I'd say its good as a sequel to Zesty, but still only okay at tops. Still has a bunch of problems that seem to plague modern Tales.
All the fucking walking through big, empty fields, needlessly large list of weaknesses that you have to hit to do real combos, and a complicated equipment crafting system in a game that really doesn't warrant it, ect.
I'd also like to see them take a break from CC-based systems in the future. Every game since Graces has pretty much had one.

I've played a bit of SO2 and SO3 (and I got SO5 on a whim and regretted it almost immediately), and I don't really see the to much of a similarity over the two, especially as both series went on. They are both real time, yes, but the Near-Far system from SO, the difference in the amount of attack options you have, and the way you actually move around the battlefield makes the series feel markedly different to me. And just for the sake of it, the first Tales game came out about a half a year before SO1, and their productions are completely unrelated.
Still, I've been meaning to really sink my teeth into SO2 at some point. I keep getting mixed responses when I look into whether I should play the PS1 original or the PSP remake.

Forgot to mention, some monsters have specific points where their elemental weaknesses are reduced (Rathian, for instance, has feet resistant to elemental damage), making it an absolute shitshow for actually knowing the best way to tackle any specific monster without a guide.
The games should really have an in-game guide of some sort. Shoot a monster with a specific element, it tells you from then on whether that element was strong or weak (ones you haven't tried stay a mystery until you try them), shoot a monster in a specific spot, it tells you how strong or weak that spot is, get a mineral from a mineral patch, it tells you that patch's drop rate for that mineral. The game pretty much necessitates a wiki, which is bad design. If you need a guide to play the game normally, the guide should be in the game itself, at least to a basic level.

=7th dragon code vfd-2015
=Unlucky Mage-2017
=Tales of Zestiria-2015
=I Am Setsuna-2016
=Bravely Default-2012
Shut up, the problem is that you only know how to whine, learn to search what you want

It's a bad game in an already inconsistent series. Even it's sequel, that fixes a whole lot is still markedly mediocre.

Babbies first JRPGs -
Xenoblade despite being a good game was written by 9 year olds.
NiNoKuni had an abhorrent translation.
Persona 5 is a visual novel.

>not liking a semen literal demon onee-san
I get not liking Eleanor or Laphicet, let alone the game itself, but holy shit fuck outta here.

Also, TeaganBestGirl couldn't do it, Thassil must be burned out on it, and Lolioasis is Lolioasis. Maybe you can do it.

when was the first good jrpg? are we still waiting?

Last post in a row then I swear I'm done.
I'm still assblasted about the ending. I unironically love the main theme though, even though it's the most anime song in existence

I enjoyed DeSu Overclocked on 3DS well enough but yeah more often than not Atlus fucks up their remakes.

EO5 is one of Atlus' finest.

/thread

How many action RPGs even have better real time combat than Tales games? Rebirth, Vesperia PS3, Hearts R, Graces F, and Destiny DC all had good combat systems.

Or you just look at the blademaster armor set of the monster you killed and see what element it's weak to. Know what you're fighting a pick a weapon that suits the monster. If fighting multiple monsters then go for a raw damage weapon.

If you're hitting their weakspot the game stutters a little to make it look like your weapon is really smashing through something. Try hitting a Rathian in the head with a greatsword and with a fully charged slash and then its leg. The game will stutter more when it hits the head.

I'll give you that one. An in-game encyclopedia that tells you where certain material comes from would really help.

user, most Tales fans hate that game.

omg

Checkmate, faggot!

Yes they are, and calling me a moron does not make your argument any more valid.

Star Ocean has some very in-depth game mechanics with the skills and stuff like crafting which is always fun and nice to use (on the other hand, Graces 'crafting' is pretty meh).
And yeah, with optional party members and a set limit of said members you got some good replay value and then there's the fact that pretty much every pairing has an ending…

The relation is basically like this:
>Concept for a game "Tale Phantasia" unseen64.net/2012/02/26/tales-of-phantasia-beta-snes/

So in short, the very first Tales was originally made by those who eventually formed Tri-Ace.

Skits are a fun thing from Tales games, but they have no actual effect in gameplay - unlike SO Private Actions which are much more in-depth and interesting (I find it neat how party members scatter in towns to do their own thing instead of just following the leader). PAs give you the FP/AP needed for the endings you want to get, so there's an actual effect in them aside from the amusing (or character developing) banter.

So every single game ever? Following this description, even Doom would be a RPG.

Overseen by a referee? What?

This definition is absolutely shit and you should feel ashamed for thinking you could make an argument with it.

Good post

user I got these definitions from multiple sources and its literally all the same shit.
And technically yes, doom, pacman, mario, whatever the fuck game where you play as a character can be defined as an rpg i guess?
Should I be ashamed that I am still continuing to kick your ass in this argument? Your little hype man here doesent have much to say either.

Smugly pointing at a dictionary (or multiple dictionaries in your case) doesn't count as an argument faggot
Anyone with more than two brain cells can read your post
And realize you're a braindead retard not worth discussing anything with

Reminder that anime and JRPGs keep normalfags away, and OP is likely a normalfag refugee trying to rewrite history.

It is possible to have a thread on JRPGs without spergs arguing over what is or isn't a JRPG?

The correct answer is that it is a stupid fucking name for a genre and it has ever-changing, nebulous characteristics for what properly defines it. It doesn't help also that some games blend characteristics of other genres with JRPGs to create more hybrids.

bumped
Yes it is, im backing up my argument with multiple sources which are all claiming to say the thing I brought up in the first place, proving you wrong.
Wow user, all of that insulting and name calling that has nothing to do with the argument surely convinced me!

This

You live in delusion.

Nice job editing the original.

I lost in somewhere in one of my image folders so i had to jewgle that picture.
But i managed to find embed related.
I like the one with the anime girl on top more though

Why don't more RPGs use traditional 2D/3D fighter mechanics as their combat systems? The only game I've seen do it was Quest for Glory, and they were specially trying to ape Street Fighter II. And they failed, because they make fucking adventure games - not fighters - but in theory it could be a good mechanic. The closest you get is Tales/SO spamfest real-time combat. Clean it up, put it on a pseudo-2D plane which auto-orients depending on the enemy you're targeting - maybe have the tag-team mechanics to swap in and out nearby party members.

It could work.

The objective was never to convince you, it was to point and laugh at you because it'd be hopeless to try and convince you of anything when you lack the cranial capacity to process that words can mean something very different when used practically vs being used in a semantic sense
But I'm sure Wikipedia is a good source for information on what counts as an RPG.

Dragon view sort of did that (poorly)

The reason why those definitions don't work is because videogames are labeled and defined by gameplay. The most consistent things in RPGs in general are stats, RNG determining certain aspects (which is heavily influenced by stats), exploration, and some sort of way to develop the character's said stats. JRPG isn't really a genre because the "Japanese" part of it really doesn't determine how it plays. Action RPGs favor reflexes while also relying on RPG elements. Tactical RPGs tell you that you'll have a turn based game where positioning, attack ranges, and various resources will be mixed in with RPG elements. Dungeon RPGs show you that most of the game will be about exploring dungeon after dungeon with that being the main content. Computer RPGs are made more to emulate D&D and will have plenty of way to handle various situations that aren't just fighting. So what does the "Japanese" in JRPG tell you about the way the game plays?

You're right. Loli fanservice is something normalfags will never justify. Keep loli alive and the normalfags will stay at bay.

Tales games do just that. Vesperia added OTGs into the series and well as super/hyper armor. For the longest you had normal link into specials that linked into supers. There was even an option to use fighting game inputs to gain access to your whole moveset at the cost of harder inputs.
hooktube.com/watch?v=Ia_XWRj5ugA

I thought Abyss already had that with certain overlimit bonuses.

Now this, this is the answer that i've been waiting for for so long. And in such a clear and informative way too!
I now truly see that I actually have been the retard all along.

Teenagers with improbable weapons will kill a generic god of doom.

You're right. It even goes back to Symphonia's horrible Overlimit system that gave you super armor.

I honestly believe JRPGs as a term was pushed around for so long because weeaboos (actual weebs, not just people who like anime otaku culture) wanted to feel superior about those cool Japanese games they were playing while not knowing much about the Japanese scene. All these different kinds of RPGs would be grouped under one genre to give them a bunch of ammo. If anything, JRPG just means an RPG for people who like anime themes and Japanese cliches.

Nep games are pretty fun even if they are super grindy.

JRPG always felt derogatory to me, like it was specifically coined by some kike marketing company to start some manufactured east VS west distraction.

The term "JRPG" goes all the way back to Dragon Quest. In the west, Ultima was the definitive RPG and every RPG coming out was an imitation of Ultima in some way. Dragon Quest was completely different in gameplay than the RPG western players were used to but in Japan where it was a niche genre Dragon Quest was their introduction to it and the RPGs that Japanese devs made afterwards were inspired by Dragon Quest instead of Ultima, while western devs were still copying Ultima. It's more blurred today with games like Dark Souls and such but that's where it originally comes from, it's the only genre we differentiate by region because it's the only genre that evolved completely differently in different regions of the world.

4 u

Wrong that would be Wizardry and Ultima both series getting console ports in Japan as a result of the popularity of these series over there. If anything Dragon Quest is merely a deformed combination of those two titles but the similarities are pretty evident.

Video games haven't been around nearly long enough to make statements like that. Fundamentally 'JRPGs' evolved from the same sources that 'WRPGs' came from the differences being that Japan never had the wave of infinity engine 'cRPGs' that the west received. Doubly so when most so called 'WRPGs' have the most loose connection to games like Ultima.

Nothing worse than some Codex goon who keeps droning about Wizardry and belittling JRPGS.

How the hell did you read that and come to that conclusion?

The Xenoblade 2 meltdowns on various forums and comment sections prove that user right. The people that defended Treehouse for XCX with the "she's 13, you creeps!" line exploded with rage over XC2 being uncut, having "anime" art style, and characters in skimpy outfits. Pyra alone set them off, but there are plenty of lolis to further anger them.
Now compare this to Skyrim, the normalfag wet dream of WRPGs, a cancerous mess that still gets sold as ports and remakes to mouthbreathers.

Are JRPGs the style that early FFs were in?

They whine but they don't go away or stay way. They just try to change them.

A JRPG is an RPG made in Japan, plain and simple. Some may say they abide by some kind of arbitrary rules of design, some prefer them over western made ones, but in the end the definition shouldn't be as complicated as people try to make it. There are JRPGs that borrow from western design and vice versa.
Personally I prefer JRPGs because I'd rather spend 30+ hours with cute anime girls exploring colorful and strange places versus slumming it in a WRPG of plain wilderness and grim dungeons with JRR Tolkien knockoffs for the 1000th time; but that comes down to personal taste for the aesthetics.

They hang around to whine and they try to force change, but eventually they fuck off. The problem is a new batch of normalfags will always cycle in and replace the ones that "grew up" and left certain games or the entire hobby behind. The same thing happens with western anime fans. You get some asshole that sees a battle shonen on TV, likes it, then sees his first ecchi anime and flips out because sexy cartoons make him uncomfortable. That asshole goes to MAL and ANN and bitches about fanservice killing anime for the next couple years, then "grows up" and never watches anime again. Meanwhile Japan continues to not care about buttblasted American normalfag #554285702.
Vidya has more issue because there are too many normalfags and hysterical women working in localization, but some companies seem to be noticing they're killing sales by letting incompetent SJWs localize niche games.

No because tales of games are fucking trash

But moeshit is genuinely bad. I must have watched 300+ series and I've been watching anime since the mid 2000s, I'm 30 now.

Moeshit is trash. The sort of seasonal anime your average /a/shitter watches is trash. There's no way around this. Just admit it's shit and stop trying to pretend it isn't.

Moe is genuinely good. I must have watched 600+ series and I've been watching anime since the late 90's. I'm 30 now.

Moe is kino. The sort of seasonal anime your average /a/utist watches is kino. There is no way around this. Just admit it's kino and stop trying to pretend it isn't.

Fuck off goon.

You can't seriously believe this, unless you're some sort of clinically diagnosed paranoid lunatic I mean.

I've seen anime go downhill. I click on anichart these days and order by score or popularity and literally everything is utter garbage on there. It's garbage to the point it makes me actually wistful about the days of Narutards being the worst thing the anime fandom had to offer.

Fuck /jp/.

You mean shows like Lucky Star?
That was an awful thing to watch.

Lucky Star was actually comparatively good compared to today's moeshit. At least the focus of it was more slice of life rather than just cute girls doing cute things wholly.

Go home, goon.

what's that game called again? I totally forgot the name, but all I remember is teagan and how trashy the rest of the party is

haha i love epic memes too fellow weeb xd

Kill yourself you flip-flopping retard.

When Teaganquest is finished, which is very soon.

Someone's going to have to actually stream it, though.

Uncommon Time.

oshid

why this was done for tales and not kingdom hearts or final fantasy is beyond me

wew

If you knew how to read you'd know the context of it you ip-hopping retard.

NO, you piece of shit.

It is moeshit. It's just not as bad.

What a horrible existence.

That's like going to Metacritic and judging the whole vidya medium based on what the lowest common denominator will consume in mass. If you don't like cute girls doing cute things then that's fine but that doesn't make them bad. If anything, the worst thing about anime these days is the constant adaption of mediocre light novels and less OVAs made by small dedicated studios.

This image is bullshit because the amount of anime made today eclipses the amount of anime made in the 80s and 90s. There were plenty of OVAs as well compared to today. The 80s had a large focus on mecha and super sentai type heroes. There were also many shows made for girls but bishoujo shows targeted towards men didn't become more of a thing until the 90s and even then there were a ton of OVAs that weren't focused on moe slice of life stuff that you see in the mid 2000s and onward. If we showed the bishoujo stuff made in 2014/5 compared to the more gritty and action based shows, you'll see the non-bishoujo anime completely overwhelmed.

People who write dictionaries do not play video games.

If you play JRPGs made after the playstation 1 era you are a tasteless faggort.

What's the point of writing all this big bag of stupid that will be forgotten to time? Are internet arguments even necessary? .

Fairy Fencer F did the same bullshit.

The fact that it was blatent reskin of Neptunia V was bad enough, that shit completely put me off for years.

To be honest, the quality of stories of anime has gone down drastically. Like Americans, nobody wants to take the risk anymore. It's nice to have something experimental every so often, but these days? You're better off making something you know people are going to buy.

I think sperging out at the "anime was better in the past" faggot is perfectly justified. They have selective bias. Thinking that moeshit is a modern invention only, and their worship of the 'classics' conveniently excludes all the 'moe shit' of the past.

How bad are Nisa exactly? I remember the older ys games having some weird puns but nothing too offputting.

You are my nigger.

RPG as a video game genre dosnt mean you just play roles
what is the gameplay like in an rpg, and how is a jrpg different from that?

Tales of Eternia may still be my favorite RPG but the quality of life features older RPGs lack can make them really tedious to play. Though emulators fix some of these issues.

Casual detected. Go play Dark Souls 3 kid.

Star Ocean 2 was easy though. Even the limiter removed final boss and iseria queen weren't much of a challenge.

People don't finish games not because they're difficult but because gamers are easily bored and move to the next hyped shit their eceleb Twitch cunt talks about.

Berseria was fairly decent

Translations are spotty at best, and they have introduced game breaking bugs in a few of the games they translated. In Ar Tonelico 2 the game will crash if you take too many turns on the last boss, but it is possible to beat it with that short limit. In Witch and the Hundred Knight there is some bug they introduced that can brick PS3s.

So I can expect system reqs to be insanely high?

Not exactly - it just crashes to XMB randomly.
It's Disgaea D2 that can cook your PS3 thanks to an oversight with the (how appropriate) fire spell animation.

The top 50 games on metacritic are all good games. You can argue about whether they deserve to be 1st, 7th, 15th etc, but they're all good games by any reasonable objective standards.

The top anime on anichart are uniformly garbage. In fact it has reached the point where the quality of writing in the average narrative-driven video game is better than that in the average anime. I never thought I'd say that. Tried to sit through a series recently which was about two girls in a post-apocalyptic setting and holy fuck it was absolute trash.

The top 50 games on metacritic are riddled with the same games on multiple platforms
Etc.

The 80s and 90s had a ton of OVAs since which is why it looked more risky and ambitious compared to today. You had a bunch of small studios full of passionate, talented men making anime that they would love to see whether it be some quality hentai or crazy a cyberpunk show. Similar to gaming where a bunch of small studios made quality games during the 90s to mid 2000s. Now anime is easier to make than ever and you don't have to even make a good looking show to have it be enjoyable like Shin-chan and Konosuba. Just like most large companies, they don't want to take risks. Yet when one decides to stick their head out and end up being successful, companies nearly ride on their success and copy them instead of experimenting themselves. Like when Ubisoft was stupid enough to turn Black Flag into another AC game instead of letting the devs just make a game.

Why even post at all?

That's just an unfortunate way the aggregator works (breaking down game by platform) which is probably for the best, given how bad some ports are.

That said,GTA V, BotW and TLoU are all good games unless you're either contrarian and/or autistic in the sense your qualitative evaluation boils to "its great" or "its shit" (not specifically aiming this accusation at you, mind).

imdb.com/list/ls036417104/

There are some games I think are absolute shit up there like Skyrim but looking at this anime list it doesn't seem so bad either besides shit like SAO being up there. Unlike games though, anime targets a more diverse audience that can have themes that completely turn people away. For example there isn't a genre of games I hate but I wouldn't go out of my way to play them. Yet I hate harems and loathe most harem anime. I don't care for many shoujo ai either.

Go away weebs

You know who's fault it is then.

Good Goy.

Nobody is defending Disney, it's just stupid to blame Disney for being lazy and having lazy people copy them. If I beat my wife and my friend sees and also beats his wife, am I responsible for his wife getting beaten? Disney is responsible for themselves, not for lazy nips cutting corners.

If your friend is impressionable and you're highly influential then you had a hand in turning him that way
doesn't mean he's not responsible for his own actions but thinking Disney wasn't partly to blame is just as fucking retarded

Mods why did you delete shitposter-kun's posts?
He was very polite overall for one

how does SO2 compare to SO: First Departure? really enjoyed it

get fucking smoked OP

You're wrong with Ar tonelico 2: it's not the last boss, but the third to last boss.
And that crash is no more than the tip of the iceberg of the problems and bugs NISA released it with.

This thread managed to actually be worse than I expected. Thanks for all your hard work, everyone.

Is Soraya even penning the script anymore? No Sorya, no buy.