Media that would make for a great video game and video game adaptations

Let's talk about video games that were adapted from something else as well as things that you would like to see adapted into video game form.

I think that LOTR games that aren't Shadow of Mordor generally work very well, Tolkien has made such a great and complex world that adapting it into video game seems to vield some wonderful results sometimes. And although Star War sucks now, we had some really good fucking games in the past, starting with the SNES ones. And I don't think I have to remind everyone here that Shin Megami Tensei is based off on a book series.

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Prophet/Issue-21?id=78383#1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Staden
artstation.com/jakubrozalski
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

As for media that we wish was adapted into vidya
JUST LET ME FIGHT RAGYO AS A BOSS IN A REVENGANCE-ESQUE ACTION GAME HOLY SHIT, THIS WAS MENTIONED SO MANY TIMES ALREADY. I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS THIS.

John Wick universe but nobody would be capable of making a crime (online) sandbox that isn't shit, allows a large degree of freedom and isn't designed to fleece paypigs

Based on the Jackson movies and aesthetics, there's Battle for Middle Earth 1 & 2 which are good RTS games(don't know about the first, but the second one follows a story parallel to the movies), The Two Towers and Return of the King, some decent hack and slash that follows the events of the movie and The Third Age which has the battle system of Final Fantasy X, and it follows the story of a human, an elf and a dwarf teaming up to beat Sauron, it ends with the party defeating the mouth of Sauron and the Eye of Sauron.
From the Tolkien mansion, we have the Hobbit, a cartoony 3d platformer with some combat(never played it so can't comment all that much), there was another RTS called War of The Ring, made by the same devs that made Battle Realms.
There's also Lego LoTR, the mmo, Lotr Conquest which is Battlefront but with swords and magic, and plenty of other games that I forgot to mention.

Yeah, 'cuz fuck original IPs.Lets just half-ass some already existing IP into some carboard cut-out formulaic shit nobody wanted in the first place,amirite OP?

Good news user John Wick has a video game.
Bad news user John Wick video game is vr shit

A John Wick TPS/MMO where the International is used as a hub/player housing would be fucking awesome
Too bad we'll never see it

>(((media)))

Fuck off back to Pedowood

DOOM was supposed an Alien licensed game user.

Because listing names of all the types of works that something can be adapted from is less akward than just saying "media".
Also

I was imagining something like GTA:O but without the absolutely kosher micropayments and missions more complex than go to X, shoot # of Y dudes, sometimes return with an item Z

and yet it's not,now go ahead and argue that it would've been better if it had because i've never seen someone getting ripped a new one as fast as you will

Battlestar Galactica
- as a R6 Siege-like game: colonial marines vs centurions
- as a Rogue Squadron or Rogue Leader game
Prison Architect: Deep Space 9 edition, you're a Gul and you have to build the best Bajoran camp ever.

I'd love to see a game based on Malazan Book of the Fallen. Even a relatively linear narratively focused first person shooter/melee with RPG mechanics where you play as part of a squad in the Malazan army would be fucking awesome. To get the set pieces right and populating them with the various alien creatures and constructs of the setting would require a certain level of production value, but it would be glorious. A talented developer would perhaps also be able to capture the soldiers' comradery and gallow's humor, giving games like Bad Company a run for their money. There would be no shortage of opportunities for interesting gameplay mechanics as the Malazan arsenal is incredibly diverse (melee/ranged weapons, explosives, magic) and emulating the squad tactics used in the books could lead to either cool gimmicks or give the combat additional depth.

I'm pretty sure that Erikson himself would be down with such a game project given that he was offered some level of creative control.

My point is that DOOM wouldn't have existed if the creators didn't want to make an Aliens game. If adaptational games didn't exist we wouldn't have:
>LOTR games The older ones
>Star Wars games The older ones
>Alien games Which were a mixed bag but still, there were some great and influential games in there
Which would be a great loss to vidya.

This looks pretty cool how much is it worth getting into?

Spelljammer would be fucking cool for an Action RPG. There's a Russian MMO that is kind of like Spelljammer, but not really.

Why live.

If you can get into his writing style and make it past the first book (Gardens of the Moon), you'll be hooked. Dude emulates Cook's Black Company books to a degree, and quality is on par with (and sometimes better than) the Books of the North.

Use the catalog.

If you're into dark high fantasy with nuanced morality and prefer mystery over spoonfeeding then I'd say that Malazan Book of the Fallen is an absolute treasure. But, as points out, it's definitely not for everyone.

You need to improve your taste; only the first book of Mistborn holds up on a re-read, and Sanderson's handling of Wheel of Time is a shining example of why he's so trash even reddit ripped his latest pile of trash a new one.

The topics of the threads are not the same though.

I read only the first book and the half of the second one so I don't know that yet.

Eh, don't go past the third book and don't read any of his other stuff, and you'll be fine.

Hey user.

Go fuck yourself.

It's shit.

Shadow of Mordor would be great if instead you played as an orc climbing the orc dominance hierarchy, and when you die you get to pick between the orcs that you had branded to continue as. Have a ghost character like the elf to tie it together but ham him up more.

Sailor Moon as a platinum hack n slash.

The Metal gear series

It's more on the topic of video game related media, but fuck it. Do you know what we need? A SAO-esque story made by a writer that isn't a complete fucktard, with Klein as the main character instead of Kirito. I want to see this guy, that obviously plays video games and went into the thing just to fuck around with friends, as well as being a general bro have his own party of quirky characters in a video game that fucking makes sense and see him overcome differences living through both funny, sad, exiting adventures with his friends in the game.

A good idea. The only problem is that the average trekkie can't play anything more complex than candy crush.

Shit, I'll have to reinstall battle for middle earth.

A gritty-"cuhrazee" Berserk game. A 4x/political game more "true to the books" Dune game. Or at least a better Dune II/2000. An adventure game like Roadside Picnic. Something more like an adventure game rather than STALKER. A Pirates of the Caribbean like Assassins Creed:Black Flag. Minus the Assassins Creed part. A good Tron game, and no, it has to have more than just Light-cycles and discus. Maybe a newer version of that one SNES Jurassic Park game? A Mad Max game that isn't shit.

Why do people keep saying the LOTR RTS games were good? I tried them a few months ago and they were dogshit.

Fund it.

Did you not like Emperor?

Is that Luke, Luuke or Luuuke?

These comics could make a great "Twinsen's Odyssey but darker" game.
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Prophet/Issue-21?id=78383#1

>Not making Kirito dress up like a girl in a comedic sequence later on like Cloud in Final Fantasy VII that is played for laughs and not sex appeal.

IPs are only important for RPGs and other games that need an interesting lore and universe, but even for those I think movie IPs are kind of dangerous because way too often the developers try to recreate a movie into a video game form instead of making an actual good game.

Worst examples of IP use are those mediocre platformers in which you play as Luke Skywalker jumping around with a light saber cutting down random shit pulled straight from the movie. Then you have some mandatory pilot scene in which you bring down a dinosaur robot because that's what they did in the movie. Doesn't matter if it doesn't fit at all into an otherwise platformer game.
Better example would be something like Battlefront in which they took the best part of the SW and allow you to play as one of the stormtroopers or whatever taking part of big pew pew battles. Though again because it's a movie IP they just had to force some stupid playable jedi characters into the game even though they don't fit at all in a game like that. That's the danger of movie IPs.

For everything except RPGs you can just rip off an IP though, like how Starcraft took good ideas from Warhammer 40k and perhaps a bit from Aliens vs Predators and turned it into a descent RTS game. Since the lore is not important in a game like that it's completely okay to have a ripoff if you ask me. RPGs on the other hand are all about the lore and it's awesome to immerse yourself into some imaginary universe by playing games and reading wikis etc so for that I think a ripoff universe like Starcraft just doesn't cut it, in case I desired for an RPG set in AVP or Warhammer 40k universe.

Cucking Kirito out of his harem would make for a much more compelling game.

you know what I just realized I want from the OP pics
an SMT RTS
imagine the possibilities

>Sachi is still the cute, innocent girl but at the same time she is the only actual of reason in between other characters who are either likeable dumbasses or have quirky and often very difficult problematic personalities. She tries to help everyone get along but is most of the time is too shy and scared to actually do anything. She also romances Kirito and brings him out of his "edgy dick state" into actual "shy but actually kind of nice guy". You can still cuck him and he stays edgy but he grows less edgy due to friendship with you.

How would you want to divide the demons into factions?

EZPZ. I've been waiting for this game my whole life.

A game where you can command lots of troops at once while still being in the thick of battle a la warband

With fun melee combat like chivalry

With challenging spellcasting where spellcasting is an actual mechanic and not just hit a button

All set in Menzoberranzan with a focus on becoming the first house. You would be able to gain and lose Lolths favor, summon her handmaidens, hire/do favors for Jarlaxle, send your offspring off to school and train them, die and pass your house on, and fucking slaughter every house between you and being house 1.

It would be such a good time man.

Either that or an "Outcast but darker"

Chaos vs Law with Neutrals being mercenaries or something that don't care Or possibly a third faction for Neutrals it isn't hard buddy it's basically heaven vs hell with some things caught in the crossfire.

Yeah they're not that good, though I don't play multiplayer to know how bad the balance is. The first one's campaign is occasionally good but largely very samey and repetitive, and since you can bring over leveled and upgraded troops from previous missions it's often a landslide. Hard difficulty is fucking atrocious as Mordor, powerful troops will rush your shit and they cut you down like butter as you have no upgrades, your troops suck and monsters die instantly to fire arrows.
Second one I remember was a lot more solid, varied and straightforward in terms of campaign, with no "select your generic territory mission".

In the second one, if you played as goblins, or any army that started with a flying unit as their commander, literally all you had to do was right click the enemy base at the start of the game and you won. There was zero counter to this.

The average actual trekkie had shit like Elite Force, Bridge Commander, Armada, Invasion, and various other games.

bumb :DDD

The entire Kievan Rus period and all the mythology/fairy tales associated with it. Shit's great.

Also they have in it a three-headed dragon that grows more heads if you try to cut one, an animated log cabin sitting atop of a pair of huge chicken legs with old evil witch in it, and an immortal warlock lich whose only death sits at the tip of a needle hidden in a physics-defying convoluted location. Their heroes are pretty cool too, although most of them are of the extremely muscular warrior archetype. They really had a hard-on for buff dudes.

t. slav

Blame! game.
All Might character action game.
Kill la Kill character action game.

Isn't there a large amount of ntr doujins based on this idea?

this.
there's many neglected periods of history that are extremely fascinating, especially the rise of the rus before the muscovite ascension.
always wanted to play a game dealing with the earliest settlements of dublin, cork, galway, etc in ireland by the norsemen, and the various political interactions between the gaels and the norse.

How about a game that would be made better into another media.

The average Trekkie is over the age of 50; of course they can't play anything except Candy Crush.

That said, a sandbox game based on DS9 would be pretty fucking legit.

Traps are gay.

/thread

on the topic of trek, i'm yet again going to shill cosmoteer, now with semi-functioning multiplayer
ship design is autistic fun

We're getting a LWA side-scroller soon, that's similar, right?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Staden

Leviathan
Give me an RTS, a TBS or just a mech action game.

They are making Iron Harvest, so at least the diselpunk WWI is covered.

I knew I recognized that artist: artstation.com/jakubrozalski

I don't know much about the game yet, but I have the feeling it will be one of those games were they had the art and setting at mind, and didn't put that much thought on gameplay.

The Bible
Could have mini games like "cover up your sleeping dad's dick without getting caught"

Hope its good, I love this kind of shit.

To be honest some of the Biblical stories could be made into cool vidya. I would play a Biblical RTS.

Most mythologies in general can be translated into RPG, actions and strategy games really well.

Life is suffering

konosuba got that platformer

also kadokawa teased a new game in an unbelievable partnership or something similar, making me curious if it was made in abyss and not keomono friends

If you squint, EDF can pass as a Gantz game.

there are 5 of them though

Lord of the Rings Online tbh famalam

This. It was normal MMO shit but comfy as fuck and the music is superb.
The GBA games are also fun.

Why are you flying PCBs?

Blame can be interesting.
Pic was very good idea for short indie game. Making longer actual game out of it should be even better.
With biggest problem being it definitely will need to be disconnected from Killy's gun.

I'd really like to see some kind of adaptation of Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon The Deep. Really great book tbh.

Everyone plays as weaponless prisoners except one dude who gets to be one of the stalkers. Maybe have other players run the traps and stuff. Game stays interesting because of all the different stalkers you can play.

I love custom character shit so I'd want to have a personal stalker I could make. Also there are only a few in the movie so you'd definitely want more than just what you saw. I'd still probably be really tempted to just play as Dynamo. Fucking oprea music mechanic, go cart would be fun as shit to drive around.

Monster Hunter International would be a good video game. Make it like the original X-Com with a longer timescale (Full campaign lasts over 100 years.) where your experienced agents will have their age catch up to them but assigning them to mentor new recruits increases the experience gains of the newbies.

The whole "looking upon his/her nakedness" is usually used as a euphemism for something a bit more "interactive" in the Bible, user.