Are there any other franchises that just got progressively worse and never returned to the original level of fun/depth...

Are there any other franchises that just got progressively worse and never returned to the original level of fun/depth the first one had?

I think DR2:Off the record is better than the first

Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Assassins Creed

Gee, how are these related?

But those were always shit.

Practically all of them.

Sonic.

MDA's one hell of a drug

assassins creed has never been good and never will be
havent played dragon age
second ass defect was better than the the first (but everything that came after 2 was pure garbage)

my picks would be:
every CoD game after WaW
saints row after 2
gta after san andreas
system shock
halo
the entire RTS genre after supreme commander

Animal Crossing

Starcraft
Diablo
Persona

Its weird, a lot of the games I can think of, its usually the 2nd or 3rd game that's the best in the series. Rarely is it the first.

System/Bioshock?

Fallout

I debated this to myself and concluded that if they were released at the same time back with the first came out, I would have liked the first better. I think I liked Off the record because it was a step back into a better direction.

I think you can count on one hand the number of franchises that actually improved from sequel to sequel in the past 20 years.

Don't forget Command and Conquer past a certain point.

Mass Effect was alright before it became Gears of Star Wars. If they had refined the how squads worked and made armor and weapons less of a fucking mess, the series could have improved it wouldn't because Bioware is made up of talentless hacks, but a man can dream.

Corporate meddling, millennial intern leeches, and SJW writers.

Not gonna talk about depth, cause that's often the case with second titles or remakes, but with fun:

any series that tried to appeal to casuals/console fags.

Asscreed 2 is factually better than the first one in all aspects and everybody knows it.

Cooking Mama. Loved the first one to death, Cook Off was one of the worst games I've ever played, 2 was just okay, and it was all downhill from there.

I feel like I'm the only person who preferred Opposing Force. Either way its definitely better than Blue Shift so its not a full progressively worse line.