It's that time of the current year again

Where we recount the better games released in 2017. Not necessarily the best, but one worth a try. Now featuring more fantranslations. Are there any games, mods, or big expansions released in 2017 which should be added on the list or removed?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/M14SH1yk)
pastebin.com/2Pt9KuG4)
youtube.com/watch?v=GYY9occ2xXY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

EDF5 isn't out in the west yet AFAIK

Neither is that SHMUP

Fatlus faggots need to be fucking gassed

Styx (A5) wasnt that good. Skills were OP. Clone was not necessary to finish the game. Levels were much too dark. Boss fights, what the fuck. The 1st one was better.

Is Battlechasers (H3) really good? It looks like a big grind.

Total War Warhammer 2 (J3)? I mean I've played and enjoyed it, but is it a good game? Its basically an add on to Warhammer 1. Difficulty is all artificial. Sieges were not fixed. Votex campagain was lame. Chaos in mortal empires is fucked and they still have not added Norsca.

Kingdoms and Castles (K3). No. Not enough to do. It's Banished without half the features and buildings.

PUBG

fell for it faggot. also persona 5 sucked it shits itself two-thirds of the way in. i guess the first two-thirds were good. but the final part sucks.

I think they you should put Skyrim on there. I know it wasn't released this year, but it's still so great it should be included.

It's missing XCOM2 WOTC.

oh well then im retarded

Haven't played it (I haven't played most of these games), though from what I've seen here people seemed to like it, or at least see it as an improvement to the previous one

"Put JRPGs and SHMUPs into a separate category" autist is here.
Did first part of the list shrink? Like I don't see much of the described things if any jrpgs in there.

Next steps of improvement for that list is finding a reasonable antiplatformer autist or people that have actually tried some of these games and have found them complete garbage. For example, one of my friends (who is really into zelda like games) tried ever oasis and found it to be shit and grindy.
Arranging and sorting games in general would help too.
It's gameplay is boring as fuck and the update did literally nothing to fix this.

It is, also bringing the non shit factions on to the table.
Thought the sieges are still fucking garbage.

Good, JRPGs are fucking garbage

They marketed this so fucking badly holy shit.

Yes, at first I filled it with games released this year which seemed kind of good and gave the list a test run, and then cut out most of the fat based on the responses. Also for consistency's sake all games available only in digital Japanese stores have been cut out. Though I forgot Wing Diver.

I guess, though threads about it pop up here every now and then and people seem to like and rec it all the time. I don't like some of the games on the list like Ys Seven and Ruiner either, put gauging by popular response (here) a lot of other people do, so they might like it.

please fucking organize it alphabetically. its a mess to look at, an absolute disaster and I can't find a reasonable way to check what is and what isn't on there.

Yeah the only reason I knew about it in the first place was an advance wars thread a few months ago, otherwise I'd likely have never known about it. A friend says he only heard about it because of some scandal accusations. So on top of having almost no publicity, what they did have was negative publicity. And it appears that now they're in full damage control suing the accuser guy. At least it's fun

What are the improvements?

Sieges are still shit
You need to transport your armies over water using ships, but there are no naval battles. Battles are autoresolved
They introduced treasure hunting, which is useless.
Bonusses you get from the Vortex are useless, because by the time you win the Vortex, you wont need them anymore
Vortex rituals spawn Chaos armies in places where your armies are not. They will raze your cities.
Vortex intervention forces are dead on arrival.
No Norsca in mortal empires
Unending Chaos stacks in mortal empires (at least they fixed this a bit)
Higher difficulty just means more negative modifiers for you and more positive modifiers for the AI.

The new races are good, which are all unique and have their own unique playstyle.
Climates were introduced, so you can conquer all settlements, but some settlements are more difficult to grow and keep under control. Which is good I guess.

It's not a bad game, but a bad Total War game. The Total War games keep getting more casualized and "streamlined".

I don't think so, I think that JRPG and SHMUP markets are oversaturated to the point where even fans of the genre have trouble getting their hands on outstanding games and then spreading the message about them. Platformers do too fall in the same category, but they can't use muh story as an excuse and they aren't as constrained as shmups, so they actually have to try something new.

My argument isn't of personal preference. Like, there are reasons to like brigador, but if the main consensus here is that gameplay 1st everything else 2nd, then placing a gameplaywise shitty game in a worth a try, without any indication of it's peculiarity, is kinda stupid too.

I'd argue for a genre sort. OP could make an alphabetically sorted text version of the list instead.

Glad to see Styx in that pic.

Nah, JRPGs are fucking garbagr an every single one should be an SRPG right now since those can actually have depth.

My nigga.

I think you're rather referring to the lack of content and reason to keep playing. The gameplay itself is quite polished, though what constitutes as levels being varied enough tends to vary on who you ask and not everyone might be into combat sandboxes all that much.
There's a lot of one-off genre representations in the list where making a separate genre header for each would result in tons of wasted space. As of now I'm sorting everything alphabetically, with a text list at the bottom maybe.

But SRPG market is oversaturated too (it's probably the largest subgenre of jrpgs). Sure, if you go on a smaller scale and focus on the subgenre it would be easier to find great games, but then you are ignoring the possibility of there being deep games that diverge from standard JRPG formula and go into an obscure subgenre that you simply just wouldn't encounter, because it's out of your scope.

What about scoring system, shop/economy, stage recycling, overly simplistic campaign? If the only scale brigador is perfect on is tech demo scale then sure I'll be fine with that as long as other tech demos are included.
And tell me, does YS or Ruiner suffer as much from gameplay design drawbacks as brigador does?
Then pile them up or take more broad genres. The point of sorting by genre is looking for overinflated ones and scaling them down to the games that are actually worth trying out.

No, for Ruiner I wrote this (pastebin.com/M14SH1yk) and for Ys Seven I'm currently writing this which is WIP (pastebin.com/2Pt9KuG4)
I don't particularly care much about Brigador, though from what I've played the combat itself is very much solid and purposefully designed with levels designed to take advantage of said combat. They're not varied in the sense of atmosphere or throwing a new gimmick/hazard at you every turn, so it's hard to tell one apart from the other. I'd very much also like to see a scoring system and more of this and more of that, but a lack of bells and whistles isn't something I think brings a game down. Ruiner and Ys Seven are more plagued by core problems, whereas the only bad things I have to say about Brigador are about its content of which I'd very much like to see more of. I guess it's also the kind of game you play in short bursts for its action. Besides, you're also one of the few people here who dislikes it for actual reasons. You kind of pop up whenever Brigador is mentioned, maybe it's just not for you?

I'm already halfway through sorting all the pictures and I don't want to jumble everything again. I can place a genre label for each entry like with the fantranslations.

completely spot on. Don't give Celceta a shot because it's somehow even worse.

Make a blog or something, in depth shit like this is great.

Your opinions amount to nothing more than bait every time I see you

How do you fit so much shit taste in one image?

What?

You did the exact same thing in the last goty thread ya little faggot

Do you see the implications? It implies that you understand that there are gameplay design flaws ("gameplay design"), that they affect core gameplay, ignoring the scale, ("gameplay drawbacks") and that generally you assume brigador to be a worse game ("do x suffer from gameplay drawbacks more").
You see, I didn't mention stage variety, I've said stage recycling. Like, literally taking the stage and using it again to extend the playtime. So yeah, if you are also stating that they aren't varied, well, that only makes things worse, doesn't it?
Scoring system isn't bells and whistles. Scoring system was one of the main core gameplay mechanics that made the gameplay meaningful. If the game doesn't present good goals it brings the game down drastically.
Problem is, brigador's customization isn't good enough to make it a combat simulator sandbox and the playground itself doesn't have sand that you could build something from. So it's not a sandbox, it's a playground, a tech demo. You pick the difficulty, pick the mech and preset set of stages you want to play through. That's it.
And it's not even an underdeveloped concept. There are tons of EA games currently in the making, there were tons of indie games in the past, and even not indies have done it better. Pretty much any strategy with a map editor and scripts (or anything with in-depth editor). Or if we need something closer - Carnage heart.
I don't expect people to have as much (or the same) experience with vidya as I do, they probably are new to the concept of a playground and ingame unlocks, and artstyle took them by surprise. But if you are familiar with these concepts brigador doesn't bring anything new to the table of videogames, it's alchemy doesn't provide an unique enough result to reserve it a slot in history. As is, it's just bad or average at best and average isn't worth a try.
It's not an excuse. Just compare it to any other game that you'd consider be fitting the same category and you'll see why.
Do you understand that this is a contradiction? And yes, that's me that pops up every now and then.

Well, tough luck champ, do it properly. Also, you are 100% guaranteed to remake this picture pretty much from scratch and rearrange everything several times with entries being added or excluded from the list.
Good idea, but how would you implement it. Because it's a tag system, and some games require several of them.

I stumbled across this on steam and it looks pretty fun. What was the scandal?

Released this month, but still $CURRENT_YEAR so it counts.

Buddy that was a better metroid game than the actual metroid game this year. Not to say samus returns was awful but Mummy Demastered certainly is a more fun experience.

nah its awful compared to AM2R which basically means its shit; Nintendo deserves no quarter or credit for anything they put into that game

There was another game called Project Phoenix (I think) that got kickstartered with $1mil donated bucks and that fell through or somethin, I'm not really sure, but the scandal is an ex employee claims they tried to tell him to quell any insight into this and actually shut down Project Phoenix and used all that money to open the studio that they made Tiny Metal with.
Basically that they intentionally made a fake kickstarter to get money, ditched out on it with the money, then made a different game and studio with all that money.

Well in that case it is pretty terrible. Mummy Demastered had really nothing to be compared to and even then its better than samys returns. Mummy is as linear as samus returns, but has the benefit of tighter controls, a fun arsenal of unreal tornament style comic book weaponry from your basic assault rifle up to your rocket shotgun, and a broad selection of enemies. The linearity being excusable because your essentially playing contra the metroidvania game, with nods to horror nes game ever. Also Mummy also had the shine spark and Samus Returns didnt which makes Mummy literally 10 times more fucking awesome on the spot.

So Samus Returns is worse than Fusion?

Did you mean classicvania user?
Metroidvanias are supposed to be non-linear, that's one of the key attributes about them
It sounds fun though, might be worth checking out

Those guys are the cucks who enjoy Games Workshop's cock up their ass for their plastic and metal profit model, they see the kikery of Total War Warhammer for what it is because it's basically the same type of dildo and they don't care they love every square inch of it.

Much worse, yes
This e-celeb had problems with fusion saying that despite people saying it was the mode hand-holdy metroid he had horrible problems with navigating and playing, and praised the casualization/handholding features in Samus Returns
Also
its automatically shit tbh

Yeah I agree I just don't think it's the best game there is, but it is a lot of fun. I thought it was really good. I really like how heavy the character feels and using the weapons is very satisfying.

WEW

Just becomes he happens to have a few opinions that aren't total shit does not make him any less cancer than the rest of them.

Fusion is hand holdy but it still stands as a good entry point to the franchise if your willing to cope with that games slightly higher difficulty. Samus Returns is similar in terms of larger damage values and focus on quick room to room movement. But the damage values are under cut by a checkpoint system making boss fights into less punishing endeavors, and Samus Returns doesnt really do much within its confines of its linear design. Like fusion was linear but there was a lot of stuff you had to figure out and objectives were pointed out but you never were really told specifically the route to get there and things would often block you from a simple route. Samus Returns doesnt point out objectives, but the level layouts naturally curve you into a linear path then set you out in the area to find the metroids. AM2R and Fusion to a degree also encouraged advanced movement like wall jumping and bomb jumping while Samus Returns has a very confusing relationship with advanced movement. Like power bomb jumping is a really neat idea but its never really told to the player even subtly and the game has wall jumping and bomb jumping but the level design is plastered with enviromental blocks that will say no to progressing out of order. The weird thing is Mummy demastered commits similar sins but Mummy has a greater focus on combat and progression. Samus Returns also features the 360 aiming controls and I want whoever designed that to burn. Its a pace breaker, and oddly later bosses like ridley will punish you for using it.

Where did I say I thought of him as any better of an e-celeb than any other?
I'm aware he's cancer. A slightly lesser cancer than the worst, but still a cancer

Looks like a pretty solid list, better than the last few times you've posted it, and I'm glad to see a few suggestions put on there. Why the labeled rows and columns? You'd usually see that on a recommendation chart like this that lists titles to the side, but you always choose banners with the titles clearly legible.

Doesn't help that in the last couple years he's started moving towards more formal reviews instead of joke videos, even though he doesn't have anything insightful or informed to say.

wew that board was a mistake

Objectively false, the core gameplay (movement, combat, environmental interaction) in Brigador is immaculate. I've played a lot of Isometric/Top Down shooters and I'd be hard pressed to name many that would best Brigador by a significant margin when it comes to pure gameplay. It certainly does have a dirth of content however. I'm hoping there's a relatively large amount of community maps made once they release the mapping tool as playing through freelance with a random lineup of 100 or so maps would be fucking perfect.

These aren't gameplay, they're gamification, quit conflating the two. It's just a trick that tickles your brain's reward centers, which is why MMOs have it up to the eyeballs. It's certainly a bonus to have these systems if they don't go overboard, as they can draw out the appeal of a game by having cool shit you need to earn over time, and creating a sense of progression. But stating that the lack of gamification is a detriment to "gameplay" is a misnomer, on top of being a misplacement of priorities. I will concede however that since they were implemented in Brigador, they could have been thought out better. The economic system does little besides limiting your access to weapons and vehicles so you don't have the entire arsenal thrown at you off the bat. And the scoring system is basically just a measure of how much stuff you destroyed, the only exception being the bonus for not triggering any alarms.

I'm glad there's an Advanced Wars on PC now but it's still ok at best.

Even animefags think your list is cancerous. Think about that, nigger.

updated, resorted everything alphabetically and added genre tags, omitted some entries, will finish tomorrow

No, as in, they're worse. They don't suffer as much, but they're worse
Only variety in the layman's sense of the word. The kind of variety which is obvious rather than subtle. Brigador doesn't rely much on new elements every step of the way or gimmicks, but is more similar to FEAR or beat 'em ups where enemy arrangement/AI is what's important the most and physical obstacles exist for you to take advantage of or be disadvantaged by.
I haven't played any games similar to Brigador unless you really broaden the search terms, so I wouldn't know what game would do what exactly better.

It's been a while since I played Brigador so I need to refresh my opinion on it, though from what I understand your gripe lies with the game giving you no compelling reason to play (unlocks, scores) past 'completion' (besides its Freelance mode where you can challenge your own wits), rather than the game itself being poorly designed or unfun to play. There could be more stuff to encourage you to progress towards something, but from what I've seen most people just play it for the fun factor. It's probably what attracts people to games like Symphony of the Night, which I don't really like, but people invent all kinds of crazy challenge runs for it given the amount of content in the game. I do agree games themselves should encourage these kind of challenges from the outset rather than throwing all this unbalanced shit here and expecting the player to do whatever, and the former is in part what Freelance mode does as that is the meat of the game. It could have expanded the idea of challenge runs more, but in the end it varies from player to player how far they'll really push a game. Maybe for a one credit clear, the highscore, some kind of unlockable, or just for the fun of it.

Several of the (niche gaming) forums I frequent say the game is fairly monocled, and one guy in particular I know shills it whenever he can. The game sits at Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam, and if you'd ask me, more people are bound to walk away liking it than hating it.

What about it?

I liked Prey a bit…at least at first before I discovered most of the game is copy pasted hallways and there are about 3 different enemy types. Mechanically wise it actually felt a lot like SS2, what with the mantling and skill based limits on what you could handle.

Of course since it took over 2 brain cells to get past the first hour it sold like shit and any hopes of an improved sequel are dead and buried.

Get the fuck away from me.

My nigga

Judging by Dishonored 2 Arkane isn't capable of improving and would just as likely pozzed the sequel even more.

That being said Prey dying a miserable death due to mediocrity and trying to please two masters spells the death of the "immersive sim" renaissance. Now that's a pity.

Your list looks far less shit than it did last time. Good job.

I tried to forget. I tried so hard to forget.

It definitely has its redeeming qualities, but I think the point of the list is to open anons to recommendations that passed under the radar. Most people on Holla Forums are probably aware of Prey. Might be worth including since a lot of people passed it up on the name and publisher alone and would have been surprised to find that it's decent.

It's mediocre though

Also why isnt Puyo Puyo Tetris on there?

See O3

This year it received a stand-alone expansion pack.

I'm going to reassert Mummy Demastered by pointing out the only reply I got to it was a claim that I undersold it with my initial post and leave it at that. Thanks for the list, user.

Pic related just got a translation earlier this month. I won't play JRPGs, but maybe it's good I don't know.

Fuck, that's one of the best warhammer games in years, and it was released this year.

zoom in

Good job faggot, you got me

I check the steam forums every now and then and apparently the guy is working on a level editor and possible local co-op. He might also add in more vehicles, which would be cool.

does anyone have the pics for the previous years for rec games?

Goddamn what a mediocre year

Add Castlevania: Simon's Destiny to mods
and consider adding OpenMW since they made the main quest completeable this year.

Put Crimson Court up on there

Fucking A man.. great shit, sad we never got it here Stateside till Advance series

Also liked that he added Brandish and CFW fan translations.
Top tier shit

TEKKEN 7 is the game of the year for sure.
Don't let the salty noobs(who will reply to this post) tell you otherwise.

>>>/cuckchan/

Just fuck off already.

Where is Breath of the Wild?

Nice bait

Did you come from the Roblox forums?

Put the Mummy on the list OP you fucking faggot and put Romancing SaGa 2 on there too you useless shit don't just walk out on me motherfucker I DEMAND recognition

Just edit it in yourself

I'm a lazy retard and I want consistent formatting which I will fuck up

Do you listen to what you are saying?
So without those elements we could consider brigador a glorified tech-demo. Great, that's what I was arguing for.
You didn't play many good ones, did you?
fucking
is better, and no one even cares about shadowgrounds.
Even Helldivers beats it, but only by slight margin.
It's close to a Seal hunter, Beat hazard and a cottage of doom in a sense that is so small and directionless and is barely a game.
Sure, if you narrow your view so much that you don't see every other gameplay element or dismiss them by saying they are gamifications which is retarded as fuck, since it's purpose is creating gameplay where there was none. I've never said that there are no good elements in the game, they just can't make the game good if the application of those elements is extremely flawed or nonexistent.
What's even the point of having different maps if you only have 3 objectives (which ultimately are the same, unlike for example carmageddon that uses similar concept that offers much much more variety and you know what made new carmageddon mediocre? shitty stages and lack of substance in any of the gamemodes, the same as, I don't know, what game are we talking about right now?) with procedurally generated enemy placements?
I'll however concede the point of there being a possibility that a simplistic mapping tool with an ability to place specific enemies could make it more interesting than the base game, but not so much without any kind of scripting or without as of a basic concept as an enemy spawner.

And that's leaving out going into detail how shop and scoring are completely retarded systems as they are right now.

DD is shit but at least it's a game.

Name me exact stages from the top of your head that favor one body type mech over the other, and there shouldn't be a situation where the third one would do both better or on par.
I don't know what to say when you can't follow your own argument that I'm replying to.

No, my gripe with the game is that it's too simplistic. Campaign is mini-stages training/challenge mode which you would play when you have nothing better to do and freelance suffers from gameplay being simplistic as fuck without counting in that same samey stages get reused. To top it off, past initial first impression the game lacks personality and focus, to the point where argument for defending is that it's a "combat sandbox", you make your own fun. No, it's a bad game and especially it's a bad combat sandbox.
Sure I have no problem with player controls and tools that are available to the player. But if there is nothing interesting to use them on, if there are no distinct interesting challenging problems that game could give you to solve - there is no point in having said perfect tools. There is no pacing in either of the modes and due to game being simplistic and lacking content it deflates in a matter of hours, it's a game design problem flat and simple.
Later freelance campaigns sets of stages are literally one credit clears.
Scoring is too garbage for creating any meaningful comparison of performance, and even then there are no online leaderboards.
I'll only accept this argument if the person in question likes the game for it's strengths, like artstyle and maybe lore, which in combination with tight player controls makes up for the complete lack of things to apply them to. Otherwise every multiplayer game no matter how bad it is is great, because everything is fun with friends.

Normal people enjoy the game because they don't know better gameplay and visually the game is impressive.
Holla Forums absolutely adores wasted potential like VC and Resonance of fate, so it isn't surprising that brigador is liked here.
And you know what is better than brigador in terms of steam reviews? E-sports attempt 6:siege 3 year pass. Has almost twice as many reviews and has 2.5 times as much less negative reviews. Doesn't make it less cancer though.
Thus it's not an argument to how objectively good the game is.

can vouch for RS2, even if its a remake this thing was way ahead of its time

Forgot to mention Nuclear throne, but I don't know where to place it since it has it's own entire set of problems.

Any download link for vaporum?

youtube.com/watch?v=GYY9occ2xXY