Book thread. Recommend books that are vidya related. Doesn't have to be related to vidya IP...

Book thread. Recommend books that are vidya related. Doesn't have to be related to vidya IP. It can be about vidya or even just remind you of vidya.
Alternatively, just mention books you like.

Part of the reason I'm making this head, is because I deleted all my bookmarks and forgot to write down a book series some user recommended in a thread years ago. I believe it was a fantasy series about mercenaries. Does anyone happen to know about it?

I'll start with the Halo books. I haven't read all, only the first three but they were actually pretty good when I read them. They were well paced and and the science fiction aspect was surprisingly fleshed out. It wasn't just a pretty good action story.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_novels_based_on_video_games
teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Ico:_Castle_in_the_Mist
silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_(novel)
silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_2_(novel)
silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_3:_The_Novel
imgur.com/a/lAVji#0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

These dubs

Metro 2033. I liked the story better than the games. Don't know about the other books, I heard mixed things.

What kind of retardation is this now?

Why would you read books based on videogames?

I did read that. Very good book actually. It draws you in from the get go and doesn't let up until the end. Very well read.

What is the problem?

Gee, read the OP.

All the novellas related to Drakengard and NieR

I once read a Diablo book and it was atrocious garbage about Nephalem and shit. Then I never bought another vidya related book ever again.

I actually meant novels.
Besides, magazines aren't books.

They're actually good?

(checked)
That's a shame. It sounds terrible. What books would you recommend?

Thanks for reminding me asshole

Christ, just neck yourself you blithering idiot.

Too bad.

Don't worry, I also have Aliens CM before Gearbox took it.

Come on, user. Besides, what's the problem with books?

I do actually like the article. Too bad Tiberius was canned.
I would appreciate some hook recommendations afterwards though.

I have three diablo books. Don't remember the names.
The first was A guy finds a demon general's armor from the first game, and gradually becomes possessed by it. It was an okay journey where the protag slowly descends into madness.
The second A scientist/wizard with a band of mercenaries discovers a long-lost cursed city. The people are still living there.
And the third was mercenaries? demon hunters? it was the least memorable of the three. The protag used some magic anti-demon sword or some bullshit.

Yeah I liked them.

He's not saying anything is wrong with them he's saying you're making retarded rules for your thread.

Found the covers. Liked the first two same author, go figure, the third one was mediocre.

I have images tagged with hook.

That's it, I usually found video game books to be shitty afterthoughts but I might give Metro and the Stalker fan novels a read, I'm aware that 2034 isn't like LL and that 2035 is based off of LL or something like that.

This thread is shitty, but OP obviously meant novels and non-fiction narratives, not any kind of writing that is technically considered a "book". If somebody asked you what your favorite book was, would you hand them a copy of a magazine? No, don't be a pedantic cunt.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_novels_based_on_video_games

Does anyone know if the Ico, Silent Hill 1, Silent Hill 2, and Silent Hill 3 novels are any good?
teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Ico:_Castle_in_the_Mist
silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_(novel)
silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_2_(novel)
silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_3:_The_Novel
I could always go in blind, I guess. Would help to know their general quality beforehand though.

I would rather end my pathetic existence than read a book related to a video game.

Having said that Masters of Doom is an excellent piece of non fiction anyone should read regardless if they are interested in video games or not. Matter of fact i would make it mandatory reading to all wannabe game devs.

Mass Effect: Deception

Not reading at all is better than reading this trash.

lol

Obligatory.

It still hurts.

My favorite book is my Macbook.

Impressive digits

Full series of rage comics for ME Deception: imgur.com/a/lAVji#0

Monster Hunter International would make a great game.

99.9999% of all books are fucking trash and deserve to be burned, so you're not wrong.

I chuckled at a rage comic, what the fuck is happening? What year is it?

Resident Evil has some that continue the stroy after 3 in a different way that the games do.
I read them some 10-15 years ago, but tought of them as okay horror stories.

Never read any video game books, but as a kid I always wondered about them SC books.

Rogue Squadron by Michael Stackpole. It was ok, I guess. It's not actually a vidya book, but it makes a reference to X-wing the game - namely mission 4 of tour 1.
I also read Super Mario Bros: The Movie: The Novelization. What a fun, harmless little book!
From the top of my head, my favorite non-vidya book is Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. I laughed like a madman while reading it.

Christie Golden's starcraft books were a fun read.

Hyperversum was alright, but it's more of a time travel historical novel than video games.

What was that fucking book in which the main characters lived in this dystopian shithole where there is no violence and everything is decided by video games and they kill a dragon with an aggro glitch? I remember it kind of sucking balls.

I read one of those World of Warcraft books. As I expected, it had elf smut in it.

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire is pretty good, too.

If I had to take a stab I'd say it was The Black Company, which I have heard good things about. I haven't read it myself, though.

It's niggers like you who should be hanged, not OP.

Can anyone here say whether or not these were any good?

The First masseffect book is good. Too bad the game is almost nothing like it. The secoud book is.. Ok the other books are trash

There are a lot of pretty well written star wars books.

That sounds hilariously retarded.

Degenerate. Purge elf.

I hear the newer ones are unbelievably terrible.

pic related isn't just my favourite vidya book but might be my favourite fiction book, period. it's fantastic, and the only point against it is the saccharine happily ever after ending

That good? Might have to give it a try.

I don't know whether these are any good, but I posted them because I'm surprised they actually exist.

I found that in the attic one day and didn't even know it was a vidya book.
I found out years later searching through a dos game pack.
The random shit my dad finds

the doom novels are fucking horrible. they are honestly and without exaggerating some of the worst books i've ever read. at best they read like they're written by a literal child, and at worst they're straight up propaganda "anything men can do women can do better! lol i love arlene can you tell i love arlene god i love arlene.

i have a weak spot for "stranger in a strange land" fiction and the dig is the best example of it i've ever read. i don't know how it would feel to be stranded on a completely barren, alien planet populated only by ruins, but i bet it would feel a lot like this book describes

Don't forget, they're written by Mormons.

I have heard the first one is 'meh'. The second I do not know.

I have this image

That is amazing. Wow.
That alone was making the thread for. Especially since I'm a CS student and Theoretical CS is kicking my ass.

Sorry OP, but this is one of those threads now.

CS/Math student going into university, what is theoretical CS like?

sage for offtopic

Was going through an archive website for old game mags. Brought back some memories. Also some funny parts I screen shotted. I miss old game ads.

TIL there's Doom novels. WTF

It's very abstract so far. It'll probably get easier once I truly understand its practical application but it's still tough. i'm sure that a good chunk of people that have stopped did so because of it. Maybe I just have a niggerbrain or something, who knows. Mind you, I'm only in the first semester.

You darn nigger.

Can someone explain to me why the Halo: The Flood is so looked down upon? I've read it a few time, with a few of the other books, and I personally like it.

You scan these yourself or is there a site where i can find these old gameinformer issues?

I can't find any scans of the 04-05 issues.

Actually, you're right. I'm sorry. Here OP, have some scans from the Meat Boy book exclusive to E3, 2011 or 2012 I think. Someone from 4chan scanned them in a thread from, I think 2012.

Actually, you know what, I'm cleaning out my HDD anyway, might as well dump what I have, starting with this Darksiders comic.

Did anyone ever read the GameCenter CX book? the nip one, not that kotaku shit. Is it any good?

Still wish I could find uploaded scans of that preorder comic the second game had.

look this guy up, the last book he made is the novelization of The Force Awakens

I saved them from a magazine thread last year, sorry bud.

Maybe try asking Holla Forums?

A relative of mine gifted me the assassin's creed books last christmas (2016).
His words were "to mix an addiction with a good habit".
That christmas was the time I both cringed the most and the strongest in my life, because among other things I actually bothered reading the first book.

I bought Assassin's Creed Renaissance a few years back - I haven't read it in its entirety, but from what I can remember, it's basically the story of the second game in the series. Is it any good? Should I pick it up again?

Which is better?

i liked them but the first one does drag on for a bit. the second one has better pacing and the ending wasn't bad if you like bittersweet endings.

Yeah that's what the books are about, and that's why they're shit.
They take the shitty story that was shoehorned into a shitty franchise without a single good game, then they drag it along for a few hundred pages for every non-game in the franchise.
The first one was about Ezio's wacky adventures as he ponders about that far away culture that eats raw fish and gathers leonardo da vinci's codexes, some magical apple I don't remember very much and then it has these really dragged out moments where the narrator explains the clever reasoning and intricate thought proccess of Ezio's conclusion on why you can't get away with shooting at a guy with a firearm in the middle of a crowd in the 16th century while completely missing the fact that firearms were already widespread in europe at the time and a revolver wouldn't seem alien to people.
I only really read the first book because when I skimmed through it when it was handed to me I realized my relatives would leave me alone.

The 5-page pamphlets in the elder scrolls games are good, but I don't see how the people behind them can make something realistically sized.

I don't know, is Holla Forums here even that active, let alone good (and given the subject of the comics, it seems more Holla Forums material anyhow)? I've looked for years since I'd heard it had gotten one, especially after finding the DS1 comic scans readily available, but it's turned up nothing thus far. Probably doesn't help either that, if memory serves, it was a location exclusive pre-order bonus, rather than something offered by every retailer.

What?

Holla Forums drama, pay it no mind.

Imkamfy hates books because people might actually learn something and get better. He also hates people eating fruits/vegies instead of junk food because vegans eat them.

I liked sword of destiny and last wish. The geralt/ciri saga that followed was meh. The Hussite Trilogy of his was way better.
Game of thrones is an interesting idea, but it has the same problem as war and peace imo, he just introduces way too many characters, gets confused as to what the fuck to do with them and then just forgets about them and/or kills them off.

I have those Shadow Warrior books. They are short and obviously written for teenage boys but they don't take themselves seriously at all, they are just amusing short and silly reads that keep with the spirit of the game pretty well.

I've read Witcher books (not sure of this counts) and KOTOR comics. Highly recommend both.