So I"m about to play through the witcher 3. Is there a definitive way to play it...

So I"m about to play through the witcher 3. Is there a definitive way to play it? I remember a few anons talking about it and telling me to turn off the radar. Don't know if they were trying to mess with me or not. Also I lost my Witcher 2 saves when my last harddrive died. Please keep spoilers to a minimum and that being said. Spoilers : I remember specifically that Letho shows up if you spared him in the last game but I don't know if he'll show up if I lost my save of the last game.

You can turn off the radar because quests often have batman vision so you can just use that instead if you're lost. The game also often tells you where to go and if all else fails, check the map itself. Personally, I turned off everything that cluttered the screen and made it so that combat relevant stuff only appeared when in combat. There's an extensive hotkey mod too floating around and it's huge plus on quality of life.

I hope you have fun. I know I did.

The game is really built around the use of the radar. A lot of the question instructions are really bad so it wants you to follow the big glowing arrow essentially.

Why do I get the feeling that turning off the radar leaves you stumbling around without proper directions, Skyrim style?

Somehow I doubt this, Skyrim was mmo tier.

Is it possible to play like this or were you just a seasoned veteran and knew where everything was? I was just nervous about that shitty "go here radar". Could I have more information on the hotkey mod?

Fuck that, I just replayed a bit of Skyrim a few days ago after six years and the Skyrim combat is just amazingly horribleand boring. W3 in comparison to Skyrim is like Devil May Cry.

Skyrim's melee sucks, but with projectile based weapons like magic and bows, it's much less boring than Witch3r.

It's not like anyone even wanted a crossbow in the witcher games. It was all about geralt monster hunting with his sword.

Is it you, baito-kun? Honestly I've never heard anyone call DMC combat boring.

kys faggot

That and the alchemy aspect, especially in the first game. Needing to brew a potion or oil to take down a monster made it more interesting so that it wasn't just "swing your steel/silver sword till it dies". The magic (at least in the first and third game) was also fun while being balanced enough to not be overpowered.

One word of advice OP; try not to hybrid as much in your first run. Focus on one skill set with a bit of another. The game doesn't really allow you to become an omniscient god like the elder scrolls games, so you don't want to end up gimping yourself later on by not being skilled enough in one particular set.

yes uninstall the game
i find that this is very fun

just level up your magic shield and watch the game play itself for you
Threadly reminder that Witcher 1 is the best and that Radovid did nothing wrong, magicfags deserve the pyre

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty so sometimes you need to have a few items against a monster. Still isn't as cool as the first game game though where you NEED to research and brew up potions beforehand. Why does the witcher 3 have shitty potions anyways? Hurr ghost gel that does 10% more damage for 20 swings. It should've been ghosts were invincible without a prepared method to kill them.

the magic shield is a bit OP. I wish there were mods that fixed this game up.
Radovid sucks cock - Kalkstein

Didn't the GOG version of the game get special treatment or some form of DRM?

Definitely agree there. They probably dumbed down the potion due to wanting to bring in a wider audience and thinking most new players wouldn't be able to grasp the concept of fucking preparing intensively for a fight so you're not just rushing in with no idea what to expect. Some side quests in 3 I recall prevented you from just spamming sword and spells and required a specific potion or item to complete it, but that was few and far in between compared to the first one.

I think they tried to start pushing their GOG galaxy shit with this game, but it isn't required to get/play it. Many of us saw it as a slippery slope to them becoming the next steam/origin/uplay/battle.net/epic games launcher, especially after the paid mod fiasco, but as of this day, they haven't made it mandatory to use it.

play on hardest difficulty. Combat is so ridiculously simple and easy that you'll be bored to tears on any other.

You uninstall it and you play a good game instead.

Well as its a Polish game you have to first move to a wealthy EU nation and claim welfare before beginning to play. You need to get those eastern block feels.

When you start a new game, you'll be asked if you want to simulate a savegame. Choose yes, after the prologue you'll be asked a few questions such as whether it not Leto survived.
If you think quen is overpowered, just don't use it.

The hell are you talking about? W3's oils that do +10% damage for 20 swings are a hell of a lot better than W1's +50% damage for 24 hours.

Gameplay isn't really that good without the enhanced edition mod. Don't bother blocking or parrying, just dodge. Dodging gives you invincibility frames unless you dodge right after another action like attacking or another dodge (you can just wait a little longer before dodging again though).

Yes, that shit is just like the floating waypoint marker, it prevents you from taking in the environment and learning to travel based on your growing familiarity of the landscape, and instead makes you reliant on the stupid little GPS bullshit. If you were going to travel somewhere in real life, say in a vehicle over a long distance, wouldn't you take the time to study a map that will inform you of the most proficient route ahead of time? Most people reasonably would. That's the whole point of turning off the minimap.
Pic related, I just focused on light attack combat, and I augmented a few spells. You get a lot of perk points, but most skills are passive abilities (i.e. you get small increases in dps or defensive capabilities). I would suggest investing in the poisoned blades perk, because it will increase the chance to cause poison effects to enemies that can be affected by poisons or oils, and most enemies in the game are affected by poisons or oils. Use this in combination with a sword that does bleeding damage, and make sure to acquire as many different potions and poisons as possible early on in the game.

I would also recommend the perk that gives you the ability to regenerate health for a 20 minute period by consuming a single food item; food items are relatively cheap, and can be found for free in various boxes throughout towns and settlements, so you'll always have a stock of items to rely on to ensure that you stay at full health.

It is worth your while to collect all the Witcher Gear schematics, they're the best items in the game and they give you an incentive to use your money. If you have the DLCs, then make sure not to waste time upgrading the School of the Wolf Witcher Gear, because you'll be able to find and craft the best version of this gear in the DLC and without having to craft the earlier forms of this equipment.

You're also going to want to play Gwent at every opportunity, because there are special items that you can only acquire through Gwent.

do a respec for pic-related later.

t. bioware

I'll do both

50% of 10 damage is 15 damage. 10% of 10 damage is 11 damage for 20 swings which adds up to a whooping two extra swings you didn't need to execute. That's not so bad by itself until you realize that any depth to the alchemy was removed in favor of this. Ghost enemies can just as easily be beaten without oils and potions. There is no researching a monster anymore just swing your sword.

Is that sidestep dodge viable? The rolling dodge always looked like shit. Will look into the mod

This. Alchemy builds are the most fun to play and Martial the most boring while Mixed and Sign builds are alright. If any of you were bored with this game's combat, try playing an Alchemy build on Death March difficulty it improves the game significantly.

While you should turn off the minimap, most people don't bother with maps anymore since the advent of cheap gps/on-phone gps.

It's only 10% damage at the beginning of the game, you have to get upgraded schematics later on before you do appreciable damage. Like any other game with level progression.
Monsters in the W3 are still weak to specific bombs and signs, I don't know where this W1 praise is coming from, it's unfounded. In fact, wraiths in W3 get invulnerability/damage reduction until they make an attack. Only difference between the 2 games is that you have to find or pay for books to learn about monsters, whereas you can kill them in W3 to get the bestiary entry.

“Adam Kiciński of CD Projekt RED discussed the upcoming game, noting that the budget for the title is expected to be more than the budget for The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3, he notes, cost well over $85 million in the end (PLN 300 million), although he also emphasizes that only $25 million (PLN 90 million) were direct production costs, with other costs showing up as indirect expenses; CyberPunk is expected to be more expensive.”

Fleet Feet (or whatever its called) is broken and basically gives you toggleable i-frames. I wouldn't get it if you want the combat to be challenging.

Was I the only one who thought this lady was a cutie? Maybe sounds wrong with me.

Reminder, Hearts of Stone is one of the best stories in videogames and the best Expansion for W3. Blood and Wine is also pretty nice if not just for the happy ending and being so visually different from the base game

It has iframes for almost the entire duration though dodging THROUGH attacks instead of away from them will get you hit.

Do People still play that trash?

Why god

Its steam m8
Their most played game is an early access chink shit which got microtransactions before a release date.

READ THROUGH BOOKS. PLAY THROUGH GAMES IN ORDER. IMPORT SAVES BETWEEN GAMES. REALIZE THE FIRST GAME DESPITE ITS FLAWS IS SUPERIOR

Either top bait or cuckchan.

Graphical fidelity should be expected from a full priced title. In Witcher 3's case it got downgraded from promotional materials though the end result looks fine its worse than it could have been.

It still amazes me just how good the character models in SH3 are. Seriously, how the fuck did they do it?

You are a special kind of faggot. Even with the downgrade its one of the best looking games currently. I suggest going back to >>>/cuckchan/ where you'll get any more (you)s.

Extremely heavy LOD. Theres a reason why all the cutscenes have such close shots and a fake depth of field effect to hide background elements.

Witcher 3 looks great, you really think something like Fable looks good?

learn how to read IDs you retarded mong

I don't think that's a good thing, but you're right.

Oh dear. Hope you like cutscenes user.

I've only recently picked up the game but here's my observations so far (~25 hours in)
First off, crank the difficulty up to either Blood & Broken Bones or Death March since it makes the game actually challenging beyond white orchard.
Don't bother with crafting shit until you can get master-crafted gear, until then you'll be fine using loot from contract quests and the DLC armor.
And upgrade Quen and Igni since those are the two signs you'll be using most often.

She's a bitch.She calls Geralt out in a tavern in Novigrad because of him and Vesemire killing some soldiers, even though they did it to save her

Codegook restored unix here a while back, the # of digits is what shows it's from cuckchan

Always buy every card you see for sale and don't hoard your money.

The fuck is wrong with you?

This.

This game is a mini-map with scenery attached. The entire game is looking at a quest list and guiding your little dot on the mini-map to the objective marker.

There is a mod called Friendly HUD that lets you turn off the map and all the cancerous markers, and only then does moving around the environments actually feel immersive and fun.

However, it also makes the game completely unplayable. The game is so poorly designed that it is 9 times out of 10 quite literally impossible to find your objective without following the marker. There are often times where you have to investigate points of interest with your Witcher senses in a certain order as well, leading to Geralt discovering the information he came for, then having to backtrack and find the arbitrary number of clues that were supposed to lead up to this information. If you're playing without the map, good fucking luck finding them as well.

The game is absolute trash and the perfect example of modern audiences (and critics) being able to completely overlook terrible game design and gameplay as long as it has pretty scenery and tits.

Buy Dragon's Dogma or something instead.

Generally, just turn off the more invasive objective stuff. Unfortunately, the game requires you to use the map as you rarely get directions. As an user said, don't go all over the place with leveling, stick to one main branch and spend a few points in other trees for a useful thing here and there. I'm sure you can get a save game online, at least one with the choices that carry over, though you might spoil yourself doing so.

Make sure to have GOTY edition or at least the two expansions. Take your time and have fun. Maybe even read the books as the game has quite a bit from the books in there, that even veterans of 1 and 2 miss out on if they didn't read them. Also, make sure to go with Yen as she is best girl.

wanna know how I know you're a virgin

Imageboard posters tend to be virgins user.

The fuck is wrong with you?

This might inform you. I haven't watch it completely myself.

You also lose out on a decent Gwent card if you didn't already know to buy it off her that early in the game. Super cunt.

low tier bait

sage for eurojank

i'd fall for Starfires pussy.

(checked)
She's a weird spacealien and probably has a big futa cock though.

Some quests work without markers and retard-aids, some don't. Kind of like Oblivion, a bit better.
The combat is really not that good, it looks ok on the outside, but you start playing around with it and you realize it really isn't that interesting. Of course, miles ahead of anything Bethesda has done.

She wasn't as old as the lady in the Witcher but she messed my brain up for good.

you were onto something in your post, but posting dragon's dogma as a better example conflicts with your complaint of "terrible game design". I love flying into free also but Dragon's Dogma says jack shit about quest failure stages and what causes what into what and how and etc. etc. You don't sound very intelligent, judging by the reddit spacing as well

this is also an extremely stupid image when you think about how the animation quality for SH3 faces nowhere near matches what you get in the Witcher 3

Beastboy could literally have a horse cock even in his boy form

I kind of agree, there was some pretty obtuse stuff about Dragon's Dogma like that. I wonder if it's something that bleeds over from Demon's Souls or the like, where being vague and shit is some facsimile of actually being interesting and mysterious. I'm not saying DS and stuff like King's Field is bad but it's been kind of stretched thin.

Even better.

you get handful of mods. like auto pickup.

Did they fix the microstuttering or is the engine still a cobbled together with middleware bloated piece of shit