Linux Gaming General - /lgg/

Does anyone even want these threads? edition.

We're going to have this thread anyways. What games did you get for your Freedom™ OS PC this Christmas? Did you get hardware that allows for PCI passthrough? In that case, there was a simple guide someone posted in previous threads, could be useful.

I got back to my desktop after a while, updated Artix and nothing broke. Currently trying to get Lutris to install Steam on Wine in a folder other than the default, but I can't find anything on that. CSGO and Killing Floor have some stuttering issues here and there, don't know what that's about.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rwengine/openrw
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5459821
meltdownattack.com
github.com/Eugnis/spectre-attack
reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/6o0obp/complete_guide_to_cemu_on_linux/
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=853122
github.com/doitsujin/dxvk
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=178
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If this get turned into another furshit thread like the last one, I'm going to report it.

Hey man, I don't know what gaming in Linux has to do with the potential mascot of an office software suite. So report the furfag posters.

reminder that passthrough is shit and OP is a faggot
but indeed, having dualboot is slippery slope to going windows full time

Got proof for that, nigger?

Not really.
t. Linux user

Please elaborate

See, this sort of attitude is why Linux will always be shit.

And here we have butthurt Macroshaft shills already.

I spent 2 days fixing dependency issues and getting video card drivers to work without causing a kernel panic when opening firefox. I also spent 3 hours reading software licenses of every package I use to make sure I am having a true Holla Forums approved FOSS experience. Who needs fucking video games when Linux is so fun and challenging to use by itself?

Why would you want to have a Holla Forums approved experience? Just get a noob distro and start learning from there. Then decide for yourself how do you want your Linux to be. With stuff like Lutris, PlayOnLinux and Steam itself (if you care about it), gaming is quite easy.
If you started with something like Arch or Gentoo you only have yourself to blame

You don't even need to read licenses to know if software you're using has the GPL or not. Nice fic faggot.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Were you using Debian? It's shit especially with drivers, avoid.

you're a running a system within a system, ever heard of overhead? not to mention the headaches to install
either you play native, make it work on wine, or might as well go for dualboot

It's a cuckchan thing, unsurprisingly. Holla Forums is literally full of cuckchan /g/ posters who only recently stopped going there once they found out chinkmoot is infecting them with malware (as if he wasn't already selling their info). And yet the fucking hypocrite retards have the gall to complain about muh botnet.

I disagree. I wasted so much time using a nigger distro like it was Windows when I would have learned so much more if I'd started with something harder.

The whole point of PCI passthrough is that performance is pretty much identical to running games natively.

I want to get Linux but I'm afraid of vidya gaem support. Is it really that bad? I'm tired of microshit having me in their palms.

That's only a problem if you want to play shitty modern games.

Libbie is almost entirely a Holla Forums thing. 4chan has a bigger hateboner for furshit than Holla Forums, and their mods banned any libbie posting on sight. A drawfag from /g/ did come to Holla Forums for a while but didn't plan on staying.

You'll be just as tired of shitty Linux distros made by fucking autists who have no concept of usability or ergonomic design.

Oh I get it, they're refugees who got banned on 4chan. That totally makes it better.

There are newfag-friendly distros all around, that's no excuse. Linux Mint is a good example. Though if you want absolutely no poz and are willing to go the extra mile, getting Gentoo or Artix is worth it.

Stellaris, still got 4 bucks left and don't really know what to get now

Also PCI passthrough is a meme, why the hell would you switch OS just to not only emulate the cancer you ran from but also to give it direct access to some of your hardware?

Nothing in quite some time that broke in any way either… well besides Blizzards stuff being schizo and having odd breaks which kinda sucks since their games work alright for busy work when listening to something.
Maybe I'll try out void soon, their package manager seems to be more potent for partial up and downgrades and those can come in quite handy.

:^)

Ubuntu is pretty easy to use.

You're talking as if M$ has any idea about usability or design, and 90% of window managers just ape the windows shell anyways.

I thought you could play modern games on Wine? I want to play Bannerlord and Mordhau when they're released.

minus the video games. Shit

PCI passthrough is okay because IOMMU "jails" those pieces of hardware through groups. It's a decent middleground for those who really can't let it go, better to be halfway respecting of freedom than no way.
I have enjoyed about 100 hours of Stellaris, the game is crack.

Ubuntu is fine, you just have to understand that it's different, no one buys a mac and then asks why it's different from windows, but for some reason everyone asks linux to do shit like windows.

I have been using Linux as my primary OS for 5+ years and windows is the strange OS for me now.

That makes sense, but I can also understand not wanting to have to fucking reboot every time you want to play a fucking game. If there was anything I wanted on console I'd just buy one and keep the cancer on its own vlan.

Well, you can, but you'll need a computer in excess of the system requirements.

*posts furry pics*
heh…. nothing of personal, kid-o.

I'm excited to get rid of this piece of shit OS. Hopefully I learn to love it like I did when I dumped Google chrome in favor of palemoon all those years ago. God I hate being born and taught to be a sucker.

I think I'm good, but since I don't know Linux, I'll let you decide.

You can, just keep in mind that unless you're using Gallum 9, Wine translates Direct3D to OpenGL on the fly and as this is tricky shit, vidya performance varies from around the same to slower than Windows or even faster than Windows with some games. Direct3D 11 and 10 support is especially spotty since it's so new.

On Linux, AMD is usually a better choice than Nvidia because you can use shit like Wayland or KMS (useful for reducing latency in RetroArch) without being limited by Nvidia's crappy but decently fast proprietary drivers.

Wayland is usable on Nvidia proprietary driver but only for Gnome! Gnome are the only group willing to take Nvidia's bullshit.

Use Ubuntu, it will prompt that it can install the proprietary driver, and do it, on your next upgrade consider AMD, they open source their driver and have it upstreamed directly to the kernel.

I heard on Holla Forums that I will have to dual boot if I want to play newer games like Bannerlord or Mordhau.

Nvidia Wayland on Gnome is still unstable enough that Ubuntu disables it by default.

if you wanna use ubuntu, just use mint instead. ubuntu is subpar at this point, and there are forks of it such as mint that are better.
that being said, slackware is the only distro i've used that 'just works', ironically enough.

yes and no, for example source engine works significantly worse when using GPU passthrough (since it uses a lot of CPU calculating capabilities). Same thing with GSGs and 4X, on the other hand games/engines which demand less CPU "power" work fine with 1-2 FPS loss.

Fair enough if it makes the person at least not use windows mainly, still you should make an effort to not use it at all and Qubes rightly considers passthrough as security breach even if said hardware can be "jailed"

That setup should get you through pretty much all things concerning the "overhead". Nvidia are assholes but their cards usually run stable on linux.

It depends, if the game runs on OpenGL/SDL/etc you should get performance close to native, you do take a bit of a hit if it's DirectX.

That explains why Source games in Wine run around the same or sometimes better than Windows. Also, even without Gallum 9 most Direct3D 9 games run smoothly in Wine once you check the AppDB so OP shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Meant , not OP.

Thanks anons. Some guy on Holla Forums told me to dual boot for future games like Bannerlord. Should I do it or should I just get rid of windows once and for all? Also I don't know much of the stuff you guys casually talk about like Wayland since I don't use Linux yet.

nope

Oh, so it's furshits from /g/ that took over Holla Forums
It's all clear now.

Wayland is a display server protocol that's poised to replace X11, and probably would have by now if Nvidia stopped being whiny bitches. The tl;dr is that Nvidia's Linux drivers are their Windows OpenGL and Vulkan drivers running in a compatibility layer and they're too lazy to make it work like a regular Linux driver, so instead of implementing GBM like everyone else they shat out EGLstreams and loudly insisted everyone else use their nonstandard shit that doesn't even work properly on their own fucking drivers.
From a user's perspective, the main advantage to Wayland is that desktop composition is way better without the extra latency or performance impact of X11 composition. Without Wayland, shit like scrolling or moving windows around looks much worse than Windows even with composition enabled and it gets more obvious at higher refresh rates.

Lurk for a few eternities more.

Mint has so many outdated packages it ain't even funny.

copypasted from a Wayland compositor dev's blogpost

laughing_whores.jpg

why did I even bother with nvidia. Guess I'll just stick with windows for games until I need to upgrade. Then it's AMD for life. Fuck the mega jews, I'll stick to the normal jews.

For the record, I have a Nvidia card (definitely wouldn't buy another) and use Linux for almost everything. It works acceptably on X11 and runs vidya well, with performance comparable to or better than Windows depending on the game. Linux is still worth switching to even if you're stuck with X11 and lousy KMS support: all it really means is that text won't look as clear while scrolling and you won't be able to shave off a couple milliseconds of latency in RetroArch.

I'll take your word for it because I really want to get rid of this OS. The only thing I've ever seen Dirext 12 use is Total war warhammer and that shit ran worse on X12 then X11 so fuck it. Here's to hoping Bannerlord will work on Linux. Or whatever that program Wine does. I'll be getting Ubuntu since everyone recommends it for beginners.

I think I should clarify that when people say "X11", they're not referring to DirectX, but rather the X Window System, which is what most Linux distributions (and also UNIX) have used for graphical environments for a very, very long time.

Modern vidya is so trash that I spend most of my gayming time just playing older shit in emulators like mednafen, mame, dosbox and pre-win7 pc shit via WINE.

I want these threads.

There's a skeleton pushing a baby carriage in that pic.

how do I make GTA 3 or san andreas run on fucking wine?

I'm tired of dealing with this BS.

Shadow tactics, sudden strike 4, and Civ V

I want to play on my OS of choice but both Shadow tactics and SS4 have an annoying bug on i3wm where the control key gets stuck the moment you press it. only way to get it unstuck is to unfocus and refocus the window even if fullscreen.
I suspect that the button release event is not being registered in the game for whatever reason. This is only happening to me with Unity games. Other titles such as COH2 and DivOS don't have this problem.

Was lucky enough that I already had hardware that supports passthrough otherwise I wouldn't have made the switch.
Works quite well, I do not perceive the performance loss on the CPU even my HTC vive works without a hitch.
Only recently got a 2k IPS 144Hz panel, for older titles I am managing to hit the framerate cap. Performance loss would likely be higher at higher refresh rates (perhaps even noticeably so) since the CPU works harder haven't tested thoroughly to get an idea of how many frames I'd be loosing.

My main issue is with the HDD performance despite using virtio, perhaps I configured it incorrectly. Not an issue with most games except the ones that take forever and a half to load such as shadow tactics.
One other problem I have is that I cannot seamlessly pass the dedicated GPU back to the host OS without logging in/out.

Passing sound through the host was a bit of a pain had to use AC97 and disable GPU HDMI audio since intel HDA pulls a shit fit.
I passed through a PCIE usb3.0 controller primarily for the HTC vive to circumvent the 4 device limit in QEMU, but it also comes in handy since I can hotplug devices into the VM through my front panel USB ports. Also installed a cheap USB KVM switch which is more secure than using a software solution such as spice and has less input lag.

It was a hassle to setup initially and far from a gratis solution but I think it was worth it for me since my PC isn't rendered unusable while windows updates and I don't have to deal with "basic" telemetry.
Privacy is a whole other can of worms. Merely installing a different OS is not sufficient in this day and age when the hardware itself is backdoored but at least it is a step in the right direction.

(checked)
This. The only recent games that aren't shit are puzzle/logic/autism games, which are usually available on linux anyway.

Is that the same nigger's who took over the Holla Forums vola?

Someone was working on an open source rewrite of GTA3's engine.
github.com/rwengine/openrw

Drivers are usually fine on plebian, it's main problems are APT acting up sometimes and systemdicks existing, if you mind

Dualboot win7 with some intermediate distro, then slowly git gud, read "The Linux Command Line".

if you mind sysD*

Oh. So once again I have no idea what anything means. I'm basically jumping into murky water with this.

Dx11 games can be pretty hit or miss, and Dx9 isn't perfectly polished either, even with gallium. Hence my own suggestion about dual booting.

Anything I can do to make Wine run better besides disable HLSL in winetricks? I really want to be able to play Phantasy Star Online without booting up Winblows.

running wine-any + playonlinux. made a 32-bit virtual drive, installed dotnet35 and steam, have 100% OJ running great for the most part, but the animations seem kinda sluggish.

I wish every Linux distro is Gentoo.

I had two keyboard layouts and used L_ctrl+R_ctrl to toggle between them. After disabling that control doesn't stick.
I find it odd that it is happening with unity 3d games only.

What makes hardware not able to do PCI passthrough? I thought that was always because of drivers limiting such and not the actual hardware ability unless you have something like a actual PCI bus instead of PCI 2.0 or something like that.

Listen up you fucking brainlets going on about graphics cards, if you are going to use linux for very FOSS vidya you have three options. Use AMD's mostly free but still has propritary blobs loaded at runtime in kernel driver stack. Use pre GTX 700 series nvidia cards or pre intel HD 4000/skylake for entirely FOSS with no blobs. Or use nvidia's great performing but entirely non-FOSS drivers.

AMD is ok for any performance including 4k as long as you buy their newer cards. Pre GTX 700 nvidia cards with nouveau/free drivers are ok as long as you don't do 4k vidya playing at max settings. Intel graphics is shit for 1080P gaming but you might get away with low res low settings gaming for anything after intel HD 2000. Nvidia's propriatary driver won't work with wayland desktops and runs very fast for anything else. But if there's bugs it is not getting fixed and their EULA is cancer incarnate.

If you have a nvidia card made before the GTX 700 series then keep it. If you have a AMD card upgrade it. If you have a intel card get a AMD card or a pre GTX 700 card. And don't buy newer nvidia cards, ever! AMD beats nvidia in price point for energy performance, even if both are fucking botnets AMD less so, but still a botnet for the newer cards.

Doesn't dead rising have a loonix port?

Who passthrough here?

Call the mods, IDGAF~

Clearly you've never been to a single Krita thread. Holla Forums has always been full of closeted furfags (like most boards).

Dubs of truth.

The only game worth playing on linux is VirtualBox with a Windows VM that has actual vidya on it

But again, you can sum this whole thread up with the following:

0) Do we have emulators?
Almost all of them

1) Do we get the AAA games?
Whatever Feral gets to port

2) Do we get the indie games?
Mostly

3) Are there any decent OSS games?
Some (especially Naev)

4) Are drivers getting better?
Yes for AMD, but Intel is still shit and Nvidia are kikes

5) Vulkan's progress?
Slow as fucking ever

6) Is GPU passthrough make you a Windows user?
Are traps gay?

So, to the faggot that keeps opening these threads when LITERALLY nothing has changed in two years: Kindly kill yourself.

Does GPU Passthough*

Oh don't be such a downer.

In fairness the drama with Libbie was pretty bloody hilarious.

There was literally a mountain of great OC made because of it too.

I told myself I'd post this any time a Club Penguin thread popped up a while ago. But if you are new to Linux, for the love of god please use Manjaro.
Seriously, jumping straight to vanilla Arch or Gentoo is shooting yourself in the foot, using complete noob distros is likely to annoy you if you like having a nice clean setup.

Downright heartbreaking, user.

Rolling distros are great, until something breaks.

If I had a heart :^)
Kill me, i just want a girlfriend.

No, but every Linux user is a petulant autistic manchild who refuses to even consider features from other systems.

this right here, been using manjaro after moving from windows for about a year now and it's fuck easy

In order to do passthrough, your Intel CPU has to support VT-d, some sort of virtualization technology, and your motherboard has to support IOMMU groups. If you have AMD, your CPU has to support AMD-Vi. It's not drivers.

Manjaro dropped OpenRC, it has systemdicks cancer. The devs behind Manjaro OpenRC moved to Artix, which also has a graphical installer and options to install graphical package manager frontends, among other things.

Nobody who isn't a hypocritical mega autist cares anymore. You want life without systemd? BSD is still a thing.

Is it possible to remove some components or do I have to delete the whole prefix? Managed to create a 32 bit wine prefix but my games don't run even when I have the correct components. Should I just use playonlinux?

I want to play some co-op game with my friends but they refuse playing the little multiplayer games that run on Lunix because they want me to go back to Windows. What do.

Kill yourself Redhat kike.

i dont think any capcom game has a linux port

counterpoint to this. At least with my GCN 1.0 card (amd HD 7770) it installed the old privative drivers which meant my system froze when reaching the display manager, didn't have access to tty either from what I recall, X was just fucking frozen.

Antergos, in the other hand, used mesa

always. It's not worth it getting a game to work, then installing a new one and then breaking the previous game by getting the new one to work, just separate them.

you head to winehq until you learn to manage wine and use it along playonlinux

Not to mention that if the CPU is in question you should switch that out too unless you love yourself some MINIX on your CPU

True, manjaro is often overlooked as a distro for new people even though they do take care of a lot of game breakers for people who wouldn't know

The i3 spin is pretty solid too.

No.
Shoo microsoft, linux is coming for you and there's nothing you can do besides put out your first good product of the millenium, which we all know you're not doing.

You're right the game with a linux port is Dead Island.

Manjaro is fine for starters.

Nice try, Poettering.

The only argument against Arch and Arch-based distros is systemd, which is reason enough to shun them. The only Arch-based distro that's worth it is Artix, because it uproots that cancer.

Here's a (You) for your trouble.

go back to your vita thread autist

I'd recommend Void Linux as a systemd-free Arch alternative. Documentation isn't as comprehensive but it has a good package manager, Manjaro-style installation images with preinstalled DEs for newfags, and startup times are fast as fuck thanks to runit.

I used Void for a server but I'm still not ready to move off hand-holding for desktop. Runit really is a comfy init.

why do autists still insist in this meme? what did systemd did to you?

Yeah I used it for a while on my laptop and then took some inspiration from it when I made my artix setup

I'd like to try it out alongside my main install, is the xbps that you can find in the AUR a good way to try it?

Wow, I didn't know you browsed Holla Forums too Pottering.

Why would I argue with my lord and savior Lennart Pottering? Come on.

But how user-friendly is for new-users? Or at least for people who had some experience with linux (I have been using Ubuntu Mate for a bunch of moths, for example)? How it is compared to other newbie distros?

You will definitely need to learn to use the terminal with Void, I'm not aware of any graphical front end for xbps.

Wouldn't know, haven't tried installing xbps on Arch.

It's a bit easier than setting up Arch: there's an ncurses installer and you'll probably have to look at the wiki's installation guides to learn about partitioning. They have live images pre-installed with DEs like Cinnamon or LXDE if booting to a command line and installing X11 or Wayland and a comfy WM aren't your thing.

Artix is also great.

Crashed my system constantly while choking on resources. Fuck Pottering and his kike shit.

I like simplicity and systemd is as far from simple as you can get. If it wasn't for my Nvidia hardware and static linking to OpenGL being a terrible idea, I'd probably run stali or 9front as my main OS.

Perhaps I will try it in a virtual box. Using an AMD CPU, the one should i get is this one right?:

I presume that not having no other description, and not seeing a ISO with the MATE name on it, that the ISO file mentioned have MATE preinstalled, right?

And should I get the normal ISOS or the musl ones? Its said that musl is a new standard library really fast and capable, but that some programs may have incompatibilities…Is that much? Or is a minor thing?

From what I gather running it in a VM and reading through the Doc it's about the same as artix, so not for new users

I think you misunderstand, the AUR package of xbps is for pointing it at a partition and doing what pretty much boils down to a net install. Bootstrapping I guess

No that image comes without any graphical stuff if I recall correctly

at least there's butts.

Reminder that if you're running on Intel, you compromised. Run Linux on Bulldozer era AMD processors. Such as the FX line.

No. x86 was poisoned from the start. Buy a Talos workstation.

I would, but
If it is released I'll ditch my old computer. Linuxniggers need to make more software for POWER.

"Linux gaming" threads are just thinly-veiled ">tfw no vidya on loonix pls gib recs" threads.
I don't see why this is even a subject. If you're such a techtard that you can use loonix on a daily basis and not kill yourself then you probably already know what dual booting is and how to do it. Get an iso of XP/7 and install it on a new partition, then run EasyBCD from windows to tailor the boot process to your liking. It's really not that hard.

Does anyone know how to get xbox 360 controllers to work when playing games bundled with flatpak?

You're welcome

Any step you take to increase your freedoms is good, just because you can't defend yourself from an Army doesn't mean you should cease protecting yourself from thieves and the Mob

The entire point of these threads is that playing on Linux has enough oddities that you can talk about it with other people and what the best ways for different setups or levels of freedom autism might be.
Are you also complaining in emulation threads that they don't just keep a collection of the original games and consoles around?

Stick with Windows XP.

That's the most autistic thing you can possibly use as a daily driver.
I stand corrected.

I have Xubuntu 16.04 and Steam won't open. I typed "sudo apt-get install steam" then I opened Steam but it didn't open. What should I do?

Install gentoo
or just double click it again to open it. Sometimes the shell script to run it doesn't run on first launch for some reason.

open the terminal, type in steam and see what error message spits out.
there's no reason to write apt-get

I tried multiple times to no success.

Okay. Here's what I got:

Running Steam on ubuntu 16.04 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: unable to load driver: nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

are you not using the proprietary nvidia drivers?

I accidentaly left the "Install extra software" unchecked and I though it wasn't a big deal because it said it was going to install so mp3 players software and other gay shit. Should I reinstall Xubuntu?

nah. i cant remember if xfce has a good search function, but go to "software and updates" and then the "additional drivers tab". just tick the latest latest version, let it install, and restart. if that doesnt work lmk

make sure its proprietary, the open source ones are shit (courtesy of nvidia)

Thankyou

If you're being unironic, how exactly would you have your games other than vanilla Doom and all those emulators bundled in working in there?

I probably wouldn't have 9front as my only operating system, but it's a comfy OS and I wouldn't mind making source ports and original games for it.

Is there a way to install windows only games from Steam and then run it through wine? My little brother wants to play Cuphead and his computer is too shitty to run it. I would let him play it, but Cuphead isn't linux compatible. What should I do?

Install the Windows version of Steam using WINE.

On the contrary, pirate everything and emulate. Even go as far as emulating Windows to play vidya on your freedumb OS.

Install the GOG version of Cuphead, as it works almost without issue via WINE (except for some bosses that have videos running in the background, supossedly those crash the game) Here's a link with a PlayOnLinux folder ready to install that supossedly works flawlessly
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5459821
(run some google translate on the page to see the instructions)
Also, what says.

Yes, you can install a command line version of steam and set an option to let you download any game you have, regardless of platform. I won't spoonfeed you any further.

man steamcmd

yes but if the game isn't drm free then you also need the windows version of steam (thanks, valve).

When you have the option, just install the gog version (like in the case of cuphead), it worked without problem in my machine, no complaints.

i literally just yesterday installed linux mint on a shitty laptop i found and need some help to get started with it, if anyone wants to help spoonfeed me. so far i've been practicing with terminal commands etc but need help learning exactly how to install shit when i'm not downloading/installing from the terminal

for example, the laptop really fucking sucks and i mainly want to use it as a workstation for word processing etc, but want to play some doomRL. i've got it downloaded, but don't recognize any of the files within as linux's version of executables, and none respond as such. i downloaded WINE, however it's only an archive and none of it is a simple neat little installer so i guess my question is: can I just plop that son of a bitch wherever on my hard drive and have it work, or is there a file structure/procedure i'm too retarded to figure out?

Linux won't just execute any old file. It needs to know you want it to be executable. Try
chmod +x doomrl
then
./doomrl
Note the period and forward slash.

binaries may end in .bin or just have no extension. Generally developers will add x86 or x64 to the name to denate if it is 32 or 64 bits. As I don't have doomRL I can't be any more specific than that but as it is a games 99.99% they gave you binaries.

also, yeah. Need to make it executable. If devs used something dumb like .rar or something else that doesn't keep file permissions you'll have to manually make the binary executable

Where did Holla Forums go wrong?

this has at least gotten me closer and has opened up a valkyrie sdl window. what's the theory behind those commands? i recognize +x and imagine i'm changing its parameters, but what about the "./"?

In line with .. being the parent directory, . just means current directory. Personally I haven't found any purpose for it other than writing stuff longer. Get back to me if you find out, please

If you just type in "doomrl", it will try to execute a file in whatever bin directory it looks at like /usr/bin, /bin, etc.
By typing in "./doomrl", It will look into the current directory and try to look for doomrl.

thanks for your help guys, i got it working. i had to spend like an hour figuring out how to check which libraries i had and update them as needed but it finally worked

Why not just have another PC then? I've considered it myself and I already have dedicated machines for DOS and old Windows.

finally, she's perfect

It depends on your setup and tastes, really. With Linux only you can run console emulators, every real Id Software game, and with WINE a bunch of mostly-older Windows games. But it's not hard to have both Linux and Windows on the same computer so you can switch back and forth for the games that you can't get to work on Linux.

You don't know if a given game works until you try it.

Did you reply to the wrong post?

Pretty much this, but it wouldn't hurt to get more people to escape kikedows

Docker is love, Docker is lyfe

All the games in the Hexcells series for like 4 eurobucks, and I gave a buddy a game and got Factorio in return. Pretty happy with both.

Nice. We need bring the Linux loli back.

Nobody gives a fuck, you Windows using faggots~

I'm working on it.

I think her design needs an update. Namely her clothes. I mean, clothes represent the opposite of transparency, don't they? Linux-tan is open source, so she shouldn't be wearing any.

Anyone else able to get this thing working or am I just fucked?

Did you read through all the WineHQ notes? Some Platinum entries still require some tweaking.

All it says is how to get the unofficial patch to run, and how to improve the graphics. I thought I'd ask here since so many people love that game and I have PTSD from spending weeks trying to get shit to work in wine

Happy New Year of the Linux Desktop

And happy new year to you as well, dear user.

I got Civ 4 to boot into game, only thing is using the scroll wheel zooms the game out into earth view and the screen goes black. Just one notch of the scroll wheel zooms it all the way out. If I ran a newer updated distro would I have better results or is all that matters is the wine version? I'm using Mint 17.3 and 2.21 staging version.

Fug, what a depressing sight, I just realized what day it is. Ha-happy new year…

Installed msxml3 redistributable with winetricks and it's working although it's performance is worse. Might try on a newer distro with the latest wine staing eventually.

Going to try out running Project Reality in Wine, wish me luck.

What steps did you take to get Civ 4 to boot? I must've missed something while setting it up.

I get civ4 running perfectly, best civ tbh
and ha-happy new year to you too

In the future try to use isolated versions (or prefixes/bottles) of wine next time so you can just restore or delete them if you fuck them up. Programs like "PlayOnLinux", "Crossover" (paid, but easily pirateable) and "Lutris" let you do that. Also, get your wine version as updated as possible.

recommendations for a mouseless 2006-era toaster laptop for a linux newbie?

just look at thinkpads

my bad, i meant game recommendations, i already have the piece of garbage laptop installed with mint

doom / id software games in general
duke3d (eduke32 source port)
emulators - console and mame
rhythm games
nethack and other actual roguelikes

this is a stupid question giving you broad answers, why not use your package manager to find games

Freeciv is one of the few games besides emulated stuff that I can actually enjoy on a shitty trackpad.

HITMAN™ - Game of The Year Edition torrent when

I just want to play vidya without being restricted to a few games on a non-shit os

look what mint gave me…or i should say ubuntu, kek

Not actual microcode. That's just the pci driver.

i know, i freaked someone out on tech.lulz

I'm not so sure this has been posted, and technically irrelevant of this thread:
meltdownattack.com
It describes a cache vulnerability on Intel Processors with out of order execution.
And Spectre, which affect nearly all processors architecturally, which isn't limited to x86, ARM, Power, PowerPC, Sparc, etc..
github.com/Eugnis/spectre-attack

All I personally hope is that RiscV can design a way to mitigate it.
ROP based attacks have me more scared

I mean, it's practically written on the tin…

There have been gaming benchmarks with the new patches protecting against Meltdown in Linux, and it turns out there is no performance hit at all. Spectre can't be fixed through software, but it's really hard to exploit.

No you don't, otherwise you'd be using Linux as your daily driver and only booting into a windows partition for gaymen.

Not the guy you're replying to but dualbooting is fucking annoying as hell. Most people here play games on a daily basis, and it's such a hassle to reboot your PC two or four times a day just for gaming, even if you have an SSD.

Personally I'm fine with my 3DS and Switch and emulating games in Linux but if I actually were interested in Windows-only games enough I would consider building/buying a different PC for Windows, just having it on alongside my other "main" PC and plugged into a different video port on my monitor. It would be a far better solution than cucking out for a windows-only desktop or trying to manage a dualboot with resetting constantly.

I played more Windows games back when I used Wine instead of dualbooting. Rebooting to play a couple games is inconvenient when most of them work well in Wine with similar performance.

You notice how the open source games thread did a lot better than this one? You might want to think on why that might be OP.

Who cares, man.

Wat?
Either way nvidia still has by far the most efficient gpus, but AMD might be cheaper (less so if you consider how you'll need a more powerful cpu and cooling system).

Should've beeen

How the fuck do you make Cemu work on Wine?

alright,
I've been falling for a trap lately Holla Forums
using way too much my windows partition because of the games that are there
however I do know fairly well that most of them will work pretty fine on wine
I'm thinking of making the major move of installing steam on its own wine partition for those game,
what settings do I need to look for, what recommends winetricks for it?

What do? Using Wine Staging with Gallium 9.

Been going through my back catalog of old PC games via wine. Currently playing Deus Ex Gog version and it runs beautifully

Why do you need wine to have its own partition?

reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/6o0obp/complete_guide_to_cemu_on_linux/

Old, but may help.

Lost is at the Mesa drivers. No idea how to build them

Does anyone know how to play Touhou Hisoutensoku online without the horrible slowness?

I think you mean installing Steam on a Wine prefix, which is a folder containing a confined Windows environment and is definitely not a partition.

my bad, for a moment I thought you were retarded, but I meant to say prefix there

you faggots gonna let this thread die?

Yeah.

Just finished Fallout 1 using POL on Solus. Once you get past the foundation they built, it's a pretty shit game that I wouldn't even trade FO3 for. Not Todd, I swear.

Maybe CRPG's just aren't for you, user.

what timeline is this

Windows is a meme.

it was pretty much always like that, Windows is irredeemable shit in regards to installing
people just don't notice that because it usually comes bundled with all drivers and shit

Just had to set up a toaster for someone and went with linux as well, any popular distro is better for (almost) do-and-forget things nowdays

Always was the case. Windows isn't a good option if you want backwards compatibility.

Any of you lads managed to start VRChat on wine?

gay

I just got The Mummy Demastered on GOG (I emailed Wayforward some months ago asking for a GOG release and a Linux port, a girl answered very kindly to me that they were going to do what they could, since they were kinda tied up by Universal. Yesterday I saw it on GOG's front page so I couldn't help but buying it), since I pirated the game back when it released and it worked fine via WINE. I installed the GOG release and the fucking thing doesn't work. Does anybody know the cause for this?

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=853122

Does anyone else have this video card and a functioning Linux install?

No but I bought a brand new card a while back using Linux and what helped me out was Manjaro's mhwd tool so maybe it can help you as well

might be unrelated, but GoG uses some fucked up scripts sometimes, for example I got pirate Shadowrun version from GoG, they have two scripts calling the game, neither of them worked
but actually just running the executable worked totally fine
so it might just an issue with the scripts they shipping in some of their games, try that

Oh but they are. If it were as comphy as Infinity Engine games, I'd be singing its praises. The nightmarish puppetry is pretty inspired though.

GPU passthrough is NOT Linux gaming. If you do this you are a windows gamer in denial, and you should vacate the thread.

I'm just waiting for the new Zen based APUs to arrive so I can get myself a cheap PC. For the moment Diablo 2, The Mummy Remastered, E.Y.E. and Titan Quest all run fine on my Laptop via WINE (running Xubuntu at the moment)

Chill, user. video related It's not like GPu passthrough discussion drowns the thread or something.

all the retards on other sites say start with ubuntu and its better for games but I immediately hated it and had shit not working on a fresh 16.04 install, on the other hand I love antergos, will I be missing absolutely anything by not using ubuntu for playing games?

???

They recommend Ubuntu on the basis that it's the most user-friendly experience, given that most people transitioning from Windows to Linux gaming don't really want to learn new things. If you have the will to learn how to use a Linux distro, you shouldn't have trouble dealing with Arch or Gentoo. I went cold turkey on Windows and I wasn't disappointed, though beware, you've got to take some time when doing this.

Objectively speaking, and without taking user experience into account, rolling release distros are better for gaming, since they offer newer drivers and other packages in general than regular distros.

Have you considered maybe dual booting windows, without connecting it to the internet if you're afraid of botnets? The games will just work

I wouldn't exactly agree with you there, linux have a tad learning curve so most people should try to easy into
I don't know about gentoo meme, but Arch drops you blank from the get go, even though you can follow instructions its quite hard at first
that being said, I confess that I only learned certain aspects of linux by going in deeper and Arch helped me there

true to that, but rolling releases also tend to break things easier, which can be mighty troublesome if you're not ready for it
ubuntu package and updating system tends to be reasonably recent enough for most things

now that is fucking weird, at the very least antergos should have recent drivers, and the good drivers are the open source ones that should be installed by every distro. I could think of wayland being the problem, but you are using xfce4 and I think that's X11 only. That's fucking weird, man

anyone recommending ubuntu for gaming ](for noobs) MUST mention launchpad repos with updated drivers, otherwise they'll get fucked

Appreciate the input

I have, but I am trying to stay off of windows completely if I can

Honestly, when I switched over a decade ago I left windows for a while, but it was just left unused because I just used wine for my games, so I eventually just removed windows' partition to have more space for linux.

What gpu do you have? AMd benefits more from rolling release distros than nvidia

Older games will not just work, with newer Windows versions at least. Also, the games I do want to play are online only, so I can't just keep my computer disconnected. Most games I want to play work. This is the case for most people here.

The least botnet, the better.

Right now just intel hd but it works for most of what I play

Same, and it seems wow private servers, guild wars 1, dfo, and lotro run fine so far. Running xubuntu on my desktop for now while I learn more about arch (through antergos) on my laptop to see if I want to use it full time.

guess this is a good time as any to post this

WTF?
hummmmmmm
you might be wondering why is this here, completely out of context?
well I'm wondering it too, should be in a different thread altogether

How fucked is someone on a pirated kikedows &

Is anyone running Aurora through wine? The appDB page didn't mention any problems but I always get some dll related crash when trying to assign a govenor to earth

Great, now I want to do another fresh playthrough. Shame the game is so easy and that most of the companions become worthless halfway through the first NG playthrough.

Right click the file and go to properties and check the run as executable box, works for some things

Given that you're using Tor through Windows, you're quite fucked.

Are you memeing?
How fucked am i?

I think the sentiment is: using Tor is going to put you on a watchlist of some kind.

that's right goy don't use anonymizing software through a vpn on someone else's internet account because we can definitely still single you out and put you on a watchlist despite all that, we see all know all and you don't want to be on a watchlist now do you, I mean that's as good as being a felon, consequences would never be the same

That's right goy. Do the exact opposite of what I imply you to do in my post. Windows is a trustable system and your VPN/Tor will make you safe.

how are the noveau drivers (opensource) for debian stable? cause i can only get a max of 30fps on fucking openmw. running on a intel quad core 3.3 ghz and gtx750ti

The older the Nvidia card is, the better should performance be with Noveau. That's the theory, at least. I have no info about Nvidia cards in Linux beyond this.

Not memeing. Embed related, this is what I meant.

That's not what I meant, but that is likely.

You're already on a watchlist for being in here, using Tor wouldn't worsen things that much.

The takeaway here is to not use Windows.

Wine's D3D11 to Vulkan layer is coming along nicely.

Here's the source for it if anyone else is interested
github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

MAny of the games I installed in Ubuntu Mate, using WINE stagging+G9 doesnt work or dont load, regardless of games being gold/platinum, and changing stuff in the staging tab of winecfg doesnt fix it.
Is there anything that I missed?

Check the pages for each game. They will usually have configuration info for them.

How is amdgpu on kernel 4.15?

You need 4.15 for Vega kernel support.
AMDGPUPRO kinda implements it in 4.12 but it is a hassle to install.
Do make sure that your mesa drivers etc are also up to date however.
t.Vega 64

It works pretty well on rc3.
Havent had any problems with wine or native games,though I have yet to try vulkan.

Guys, I'm on my wits end. I've had killing floor sitting on steam for a while, and decided to give it a go in december.

It played nice enough, got separated of computer for like two weeks and now when trying to play the game hangs for like 5 seconds before the first wave, if I'm hosting and there are people connected to me it is even worse, have had it freeze for half a minute with 3 people (as I'm the host the game freezes for everyone, if I'm playing in someone else's server time passes for them normally).

I have an intel xeon e5400, and AMD HD 7770 with radeonsi and amdgpu.

The problem happens:

So I could get some more information.

I decided to test KF again, now without internet, and I encountered… no hang up, I load another map and same thing. I switched to offline mode, the game continued normally. This means that while I'm connected to internet the game/steam must be querying something, it does so even when playing solo, and it does so even when playing in offline mode. I reconnected to the internet without switching steam mode and without closing the game, an guess what? it hangs again.

What should I use to monitor requests to the internet to see if I can just block them or see what the fuck is happening to cause these hangs?. Networking is definitely not my forte.

< S p o o k y

Learn to use Wireshark, it could save your life

Arch based distro are better simply because of the package management. I used debian based shit for years, tried an Arch based distro and never looked back. Manjaro is a pretty good place to start.

How big is your nose?

Systemd is a cluster fuck and broke on me several times. It also fucks my wireless devices and wifi adapter each and every fucking time. Also fucking kill yourself Poettering.

any tips to start up? I get over 1 thousand results in a bit over a minute, I need a way to filter this shit

lol

The text bar directly above the results is a filter. You can specify stuff like protocols and it should offer plenty of autocomplete options. Try "http" and work/look up more filters from there.

Does wine work for fruityloops?

If you trip up the DRM checks?
I'm pretty sure all they do is stick a watermark permanently on your screen to damage any display you connect it to (Yes that is part of their "stop people from stealing windows despite it being like $120 overpriced for what it is because lolmonopolystatusthatwearen'tsuedfor) and steal whatever information you leave sitting in the my documents folder.
As far as the pirated version of windows itself, I couldn't tell you what boobytraps are built into it but you could probably check to see if it's opening a network to somewhere.

Honestly the whole shit with switching from windows is an issue because if something can legitimately compete with windows microcock would probably try to sue for virtualization software and code interpreters.

bls respond

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=178
Going by this, it does flawlessly.
Check the WINE App Database (the link I just gave you) if you have doubts about more software

I was mostly curious because fruityloops uses a ton of extention programs.

Almost a year of Pure linux. Lots of vidya and even more productivity. there is a learning curve. but its better then sucking pajeet cock with windows 10.

I swear this some kinda of weird stuff you were showing,
like swords in her ass or something

If (haspenis == true){
System.out.printIn(">she");
}