Controller Thread

Just a thread to talk about the best ways to connect with our games.

Actually, I was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm trying to get GlovePIE to work on my computer, but I keep getting an "Invalid Point Operation" message every time I open the program. Does anyone know of a fix to this, or a better program I can use so I can play games with a Wiimote?

Other urls found in this thread:

julianloehr.de/educational-work/hid-wiimote/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does that stick connect through IR?

I have been using the same 360 controller since forever, its the older model with the Microsoft logo.

I wouldn't buy a stick for the switch even though it has like 3 at most fighters planned for it. Seems like a waste and wireless adding lag makes it a double no but what do I know.

It uses bluetooth.

My goto controller these days is the DS4, ever since my 360 pad died on me it's been going pretty strong. It's pretty polarising with some people preferring the DS3 or an xbox controller but to me it's a very comfortable controller to use. I also use a steam controller when I can't be bothered using a kb+m for using my computer and browsing the internet, for actual games though it's pretty hit or miss (mostly miss).

Assuming it uses Bluetooth to connect to the switch, similar to the joycons and pro controller, it's likely that there will be less lag than if it was wired. Close range Bluetooth connection is insanely fast and responsive, beating out wired connections.
If it connects through IR or some other wireless connection it will be shit.

Since fucking when

Ah ok that makes sense. I guess it's too early to tell how many fighters will come to the switch, I'm still holding out for a Metal Slug collection that isn't shit like the PS2 one. Anyone know the build quality of the stick?

It doesn't because poll rates, but some usb ports are polled at 250hz while bluetooth may be polled at 1000hz, see the ps4 controller as an example. But it's fucking banned, you don't walk in playing wireless in a fighting tournament.

All this does is make me want to get my NES back in tip top shape.

Hori has released a wired stick for switch, based on my experiences with their sticks I would recommend it over some other brand.

Ah okay, thank you. I had a guy trying to explain to me that the IR camera on the face of the switch may be used for controller connectivity and I wasn't sure if he was talking out of his ass or what.

Here you go.

WASD > digital stick

I have yet to find a controller that would satisfy my autism, so I usually just go with the standard Logitech stuff on PC. It's middle of road in terms of quality, affordable prices, and it doesn't look like 1337 g4m0r shit made to impress 12-year olds. As for consoles, I don't bother with non-standard controllers, they cost premium and just take up extra space for a device that will be used by one or two games at most.

ESDF > WASD

No need for GlovePIE, use this. julianloehr.de/educational-work/hid-wiimote/

Looks as fucking stupid as people who use controllers to play on their phone.

RDFG>ESDF

TFGH>RDFG

UHJK > everything else

If you use unix/linux, QJoyPad is literally the best thing to map controller input to keyboard input with special case for the mouse. As long as the joypad appears under /dev/input you are golden. It beats joy2pad at the least for usability.

I bought a bluetooth xbox one s controller to use for vidya and it works without any input lag that I can tell. Not sure how you would benchmark it though.

What is RDFG, ESDF, TFGH, and UHJK?

Different versions of WASD.

You have to be really, really insecure to give a fuck about that.

I'm not sure I understand the point of this. Why plug in a joypad if you're not going to use it? I use Antimicro to remap things when I'm playing a shitty doujin game that assumes ZXCV and arrows.

Under unix assume every vidya game you will ever play will be like that one doujin game that never maps controllers correctly. Hence the remap. But that program makes it very easy to remap everything. Makes it so you could use a controller to control the entire OS if you got a FOSS onscreen keyboard for keypad entry. I think steamOS does something like this or if they don't, they should.

I guess what I'm asking is if QJoyPad does the same exact things I use Antimicro for but overlooked originally thinking it didn't?

Oh no, it makes it so if you press A on your joypad it does a specific keyboard action. Like if you push foward on the joystick it pressess the W button on the keyboard. Or if you press the start/back button on the joypad it pressess the escape button on the keyboard. But you can set it to whatever combination you want and make profiles for different games. It's very nice that way. You could use a wiimote with a halo or call of duty 3 or some shit like that if you wanted. why would you be autistic enough to do this?

Ah, okay. What I'm really interested in is being able to remap controller inputs however I want (move L input to the R input, etc) and mapping controller inputs to keyboard. Can QJoyPad do either?

Took some fiddling, but finally got it to work. Thanks (Will be even more happy when the Driver Signature Verification is fixed).

This it can do.
No it can't do this. If you want to remap the reported joystick input to another reported joystick input without it just being a keyboard input reported to the game use something like the –evdev mode of xboxdrv. But it's a pain in the ass to set up as it is pure command line. But you can use evtest to find the names and then manually remap reported inputs to the inputs of what is reported to the game as a generic controller or generic xbox 360 controller however you want. Like if you wanted to move the left bumper to the right, you could do that with xboxdrv's –evdev mode.

The only quirk being that it makes your computer think there is two controllers plugged in, the virtual one you create with xboxdrv to change the inputs, and the real one that doesn't have changed inputs. So your game would have to be able to choose the one you want or things get confusing. Wine based games could have the controller chosen for you. But I don't know how you would get that to work on native unix games using things like raw input or SDL1/2.

Yeah that sounds obnoxious, and I don't even use an Xbox controller. That's what Antimicro is for. The main thing I use it for is to map analog inputs to my D-pad for those games that don't properly detect the pad.

Khajiit has no words for you.