It's been awhile since the last Dragon Quest thread IIRC, so yeah, happy Merry Christmas, fuckers. Let's talk about DQ

It's been awhile since the last Dragon Quest thread IIRC, so yeah, happy Merry Christmas, fuckers. Let's talk about DQ.

I'm working my way through VI and while it's good, it's no match for III or V. I've heard that the game wasn't that well received when it was released on Japan, why exactly?

I recently finished I for the first time and found it quite enjoyable although a tad on the easy side at end game. Working my way through II just doesn't feel as fun, the only other one I have never played is III. Is it worth a go?

III is one of the best DQ games dude.

should I play IV on the SNES, the DS or Android?

I'd say DS if you can read jap, I think they cut party chat from the (((localized))) versions

It moves at a fairly slow pace compared to the previous games, though it's nothing compared to VII in that regard.

II was a rushed game made to capitalize on the unexpected success of Dragon Quest I. IIRC, the last part of the game wasn't even playtested. III on the other hand is fantastic, especially the SNES remake.

There's no good way to play IV in English, sadly. The NES version is archaic(you have to select options from a menu just to talk to people or even move up/down stairs) and the DS version has some of the worst localization I've ever seen, even worse than the PSP versions of the Legend of Heroes Gagharv Trilogy. At least I could understand the general idea of what was being said in those games. The first part of Dragon Quest IV DS is full of obscure Scottish slang. Pick your poison.

Probably coz everyone was stuck grinding.

There ain't any chart about this series?

What is the best way to play the first game?

Bumping for answers.

What do you mean?

Fucking nigger, there are three different versions of the same game.

NES, SNES, and GBC.

Can you read gook?

Nay.

Is there any translation pack?

I know there's an effort to try to fix the DS script, but I'm not sure if it's just a script rip in the works from the NES original, and I doubt it's going to reimplement (and translate) the cut party chat either.

Reminder that the west was apparently supposed to get a native release of the PS1 remake (going off the back of the game manual for VII PS1), but apparently that fell through leaving us stuck with just the old NES original and the intentionally botched DS culturization.

I've seen a set of screencapped posts before on the matter (from back in the halfchan era), but I seem to recall some anons taking issue with it.

Damn. Thats bad.

There's another issue to the whole, in that since Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2, the culturization and accents seem to have become a standard the western releases operate with, as if someone high up at Square has been convinced it was the accents that made VIII sell so well back in the day (and not the influence of the FFXII demo disc). This also conveniently ignores that Dragon Quest VIII has voice acting out here, voiced accents being easier to understand, while the subsequent accented DS games were text only, leading to shit like . And that's not even starting on other asinine changes and content removal.

Accenting has its uses, but in games like these that would otherwise use standard Japanese or English, I'd say it's more detrimental and a waste of time and resources for the additional editing required (which reached a point after the DS games that Square became leery of bringing any games west for years, especially the remake of VII, VII having a FUCKHUEG script to begin with as is). Of course, you'll still see people occasionally that will defend such changes as making the games more charming, the same way WD's fans will defend the "creative" writing and pop culture shit in those games.

I beat the first Dragon Quest (GBC version), never finished 2, and never played another one. Feel like doing it now. Which one should I play, and which version?

No newer consoles. PS2 or older only.

Stop posting outdated and wrong charts

if you can get past the forced accents (especially bad in chapter 1) courtesy of the dumbest son of a bitch to ever be incharge of localising games (he somehow came to the conclusion that DQ8 sold because of the funny accents), the DS version is the way to go; extra content in postgame

I'm French, maybe it I complain to Square that I find their fake French accent racist they'll stop this shit and give us proper english?

Thx, the GBC version is fantastic.

All in all I love these games but there is nothing to talk about honestly. Now if we had X we would have plenty to talk about. Fucking japs getting all of the cool games.

i want to fuck veronica
that is all