Tfw you replay F.E.A.R and its still the peak of shooters

Tfw you replay F.E.A.R and its still the peak of shooters

All these years later and things only got worse. Feels bad man.
But at least youngfags can always go back and discover the joy in these games and their TECHNOLOGY

Fear is great but way too fucking easy.
Extraction poin is bullshit hard however, both on max difficulty.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to allow you to carry 10 medkits at the same time? It completely trivializes the difficulty, even on the highest setting, may as well just have regen health at that point.

FLASH LIGHT

I played it just recently, it's pretty mediocre and repetitive as fuck. I don't know why the fuck Holla Forums keeps rambling about it being oh so great when it's so fucking disappointing.
To me, it seems like you're trying too hard to fit in, tbh.

How i can tell this guy is lying, a play in 1 gif.

Goddamn the nailgun was fun.

Sure, the AI, graphics, and acrobatics are great, but the gun handling and level design are trash. The main guns are pea shooters.

Yep, checks out. Thanks for the input.

I kinda recently did too
It's still fun throughout but it has more issues than I remember
The base game takes too long to really start and even at the peak of it's action level it's still kinda soft.
Overall Extraction Point has the better gunfights that fucking church office one is probably the best one but it kinda slows down after a while which just doesn't work in it's favor
Perseus Mandate is shit because it introduces shit that's not even remotely fun to fight gayass latex wearing supermercs sam fisher wannabes and more weapons that 100% trivialize some encounter whereas EP also did introduce some broken weapon but they were rare and had limited uses right after you got them unless you decided to sacrifice a slot for one

Also getting the sound to work properly is a fucking pain in the ass, had to use alchemy but disable hardware acceleration in the end, because the game would just crap itself without alchemy but the hardware accel gave me earcancer DUDE REVERB LMAO and fucked the audio balance (bullet casings falling shouldn't be louder than firing the damn gun).

The best part of Perseus is the not-at-all-inspired-by-Halflife-2 pseudo physics gun that's completely worthless.

I don't remember it having one of those, unless it's from one of the easter eggs I missed.

Extraction point ending is kind of weak on the horror. I would have liked it if it had a little more to it.

WHERE IS HE?

Literally the best gun in the game.
There are multiple scenes where you backtrack through an area where larger fights have taken place, and if you used the 10mm Penetrator it can actually make you jump when you turn a corner and see a shape standing in a corner. Then you realize he is dead already, and you just stapled him there. Feels really satisfying.

This is true in my experience. I played it on the hardest difficulty when I first played it, and barely ever dropped below 7 medkits.
It would have been much better if they placed med-rechargers like in Halflife, but the player has to explore dark and scary areas to get to them, similar how the upgrades are hidden. This way they could also replace the obvious "here are a few guns and a medkit on a table before you enter the next room" giveaway for larger fights. Instead have one or two easy enemies in an area where there is a med recharger.

The damned laser gun is sweet. I would love it if it actually cut enemies and structures, but ammo was more scarce.

But the walk speed is so slooow

I wouldn't call it the peak of shooters, but it's pretty damn good. The lighting was the best thing about it. I don't think I've played and fps that came close to emulating FEAR's lighting and shadows.

He's right, tho.

I can't think of much that even had such gracious multiplayer, and that's coming from the eternal tacticool.

There is no opinion here, this is a board of objective absolutes. Fuck along off with your gayoff trash. You have shit taste, and the many like you always will, how about you start a little fucking hugbox for your gay shit? Where I won't have to fucking smell it again. How about you took the wrong turn long ago.

Back when video games could have the main character raped, and the player watches it live and experiences it through the victims eyes.

Try articulating your opinion on why the level design in F.E.A.R. is so poor.
Hard Mode: Don't mention the level aesthetics at all.

tfw you replay fear and realize the levels are all really bland and boring to play in, the encounters strongly lack variety, and the weapons don't really encourage different styles of play significantly enough.

don't fall for the Holla Forums-core meme kids

no bud, games indeed started sucking ass around 2012 when the skill level, graphical quality and storylines were tailored for the masses.

I want to be raped by a hot female ghost.

She is the mother of all those clones you kill. She sure must have been a good breeder for that.

For you maybe.

What is it for (you) then?

Valvedrone cucksuckers detected.
Your kind isn't welcome here.
>>>/cuckchan/

The peak of shooters in my opinion is Unreal Gold.

Also don't click this

There is health regen :^)

Not really. It's funny to jump kick the odd Replica solider faced away from you by a cliff like the devs intended, but it's useless in real situations. The wheelhouse kick was implemented by a dev purely to prove to the others he could do it.

t. user unable to complete the game without swapping weapons
The SMG is garbage, I agree, but the pistols are broken as fuck and the rifle is good if you can aim.

What gun is this? None of them use physics. There was the one that shot orbs that warped the visual field around them, but they didn't do anything beyond damage.

The physics and lighting in Fear are exceptional and put modern games to shame, but based on what I see of it here it is overrated. I've played through it twice, once in 2010 and once last year. The actual combat is great, however it's poorly paced, and sprinkled piecemeal throughout the levels with lots of walking with spoopy bits in-between, the story being decent makes the wandering with occasional story segments at least bearable, but the fact at least half of the time spent in game is wandering around without combat reflects poorly on the game. You also have a bunch of cinematic crap like that part where you're running from the huge robot. On top of that even with both DLCs you have 24-30 hours of playtime tops, maybe a bit more if you really like the little mission things in the second one. FEAR is pretty much a very, very good bargain bin shooter that you might play through up to three times or so then can safely retire.

Can you idiots who can't find good games at least be a little consistent? First its 2007, then 2008, 2010, 2012, just pick a year so you can keep your stupid ass tied to it.

Retards are getting younger.

Well then shooters must be absolute garbage then.

They're one hit kill attacks, dumbass. They're really useful if you know wtf you're doing. About 30% of my kills were melee.

I mean they sound and handle like peashooters. The gunplay is pretty weak, the shotgun and nailgun are fun though.

Quake 1 was the peak of shooters but youtoobers haven't told you that so you won't agree with me yet.
Fear was great, though.

Even worse gunplay than doom.

Although I love Q1, Unreal Gold takes the prize for me.

Would've been better if she stayed a loli.

Maybe you were just bad, user?

It's definitely the peak of corridor shooters and one of my favorite games as a whole.

Nah, it's the gun sounds, gun animation, and enemy response that aren't good.

But that's not UT2k4.

Pretty much yeah. Though stuff like Painkiller and the first two dooms come very close imo

Why would I play a dadgame when I can play Star Wars Battlefront II?

Go back to /shmupg/

she's not your mother you just play some random schmuck in fear 2

I tried to get a friend of mine to try out FEAR, and he just complained about the ADS key being shift and said the graphics weren't good enough so he uninstalled it.

Are you sure you're talking about FEAR, user? As in the first one?

Ditch him and get better friends

I'm actually really enjoying FEAR 3 so far, maybe it's because my expectations were so low? I don't mind regen health because there was never a time in the previous games where I didn't have a fuckton of medkits saved up. The two weapon limit doesn't seem that bad but I am running the optimal shotgun/SMG setup, if more experimental fun weapons start popping up it may become a problem. The cover system is clumsy as fuck but also literally useless, if you crouch behind cover you are just as safe as you would be if you pressed the cover key. AI seems decent, using grenades to flush me out and flanking me just like previous games.

The level design is also pretty good, feels more like FEAR 1 with multiple pathways and lots of optional secret areas. Also lots of catwalks so you actually have to aim vertically, which I was not expecting in an FPS game built around console controllers. Maybe it gets worse later on but so far I'm having fun.

The combat is great but too easy.
Best part is the secret underground base at the end. That shit makes my boner rise.

Explain to me how the protagonist of Perseus Mandate had the same abilities as the Pointman? As much as I prefer the expansions to the original FEAR, this is something that always bugged me.

I prefer Condemned.

The expansions are absolute ass user, check your taste.
Also the story went straight into the loo after the first game.

Besides graphics, fps-games hasn't really evolved from Doom. Which is qiuet sad. They have only dumbed the levels down to linear set-pieces instead of trying to get through a map. NuDoom i liked though, the maps were more complex and different than most modern shooters.

Give me your reasoning then faggot, cause as far as I know, they were just as fun as the base game.

They feel extremely bland and as you yourself said, there is no explanation for why this guy also has superpowers. They did notice that and started to shoehorn in lots of explanations and everything just gets worse.
Seriously, read the story overview on some wikia site, it's bonkers.

I never said that.

They did notice that and started to shoehorn in lots of explanations and everything just gets worse.

I really didn't get any explanations then, if we're talking about the protagonist from Perseus Mandate (Who is not the pointman)

If I tried really hard I could probably draw out the whole game on a handful of sheets of paper (enemy, medkit, and weapon placements included) and I have very bad memory, the game is actually not repetitive at all and the level design is all very distinct with personality and topography. The game was set in an office complex and underground lab, so it didn't constantly jump around environments like serious fucking sam and I can only imagine that's what you're complaining about when you say it's repetitive. They tried to "fix" that in FEAR2 by introducing other kind of environments but it was complete shit because it made the game feel splintered and like I was doing some HL2 cross country. If you're saying it's repetitive because of the lack of enemy variety, they tried to fix that too in FEAR2 and what a surprise, that too was shit and it was much better off when it just stuck to a few very distinct enemies with a lot of personality.
Because it's one of the last attempts to make a really good game out a sparse set of finely tuned mechanics and design instead of just throwing in the whole kitchen sink with no thought to how it all interacts.
I should have read the whole thing before I started writing a rebuttal. You got me you anime posting shit.

I think the one that lacks reading comprehension is you.

I'm trying to figure out of you're complaining or not with this whole post. So fucking bad make up your mind.

git b8'd

Looking up and down, crouching, jumping, double jumping, prone, lean, dodging, mantling, sliding, prone dive, sprinting, sneaking, swimming, dedicated melee, dedicated grenade, health kits you can carry, squadmates that can heal, squad control, items like night vision and flashlight, inventory, health stations, regen health, no healing, primary/secondary limit, sniper scopes, iron sights, alternate fire, reload, fire rate selection, ammo type selection, weapon attachments, weapon customization, picking up/moving objects/physics in general, resource gathering, building, destructability, magic/augmented abilities, hacking, RPG leveling elements, parkour elements like wall running, classes, vehicles, conversation system, cutscenes, perks, killstreaks, open world gameplay, 3D, platforming, vertical elements, cover system, advanced AI, objectives, location based damage, jump pads, ladders, etc. I probably missed quite a few extremely obvious ones.

He is a clone of Pointman which is most likely why Alma didn't go all out on him and allowed him to live. If I remember correctly, that is.

The difference between the Sergeant and the Replicas being that they are instead clones of Fettel.

Awww yeah FEAR thread.

Nigger the game is fucking chocka with walking around fighting nothing. Every time you hear radio chatter and know you're in for a fight it's a relief.

I did this radical thing called expressing my opinion on something. I don't have to fellate the game or shit on it.

And yet very few of them are better than Doom.

It doesn't hurt to be more coherent, mong.

Love FEAR tho

Reminder FEAR is one of the only FPS where you can actually play through a massive chunk of the game using your fists because the devs were smart enough to buff move speed while your weapon was holstered in a twitch shooter and include large amounts of flinch from any kind of damage.

Tribes was probably the first time I really got into a multiplayer FPS. That shit was fun as fuck.
Too bad the only people still playing are BRs on a super modded server that's a million miles away from what the game originally was.

everyone knows you move faster with a knife

That's a funny way to spell Perfect Dark.

Yeah, I don't think you played the same game as me. Unless you just walked everywhere super slow.

So that's why they allowed you to holster your weapon. I thought it was the most pointless thing ever, like they implemented it really early on, realized it was useless later but left it in anyway. A run on the highest difficulty using mostly only melee sounds like it could be fun and actually give the 10 medkits a use.

8 frames per second.

You aren't impressing anyone and you want get any upvotes here for being le old school gamyer.
Please get over yourself or fuck off.

There is thankfully a hack that makes it run at 60fps and also gives it mouse aim. So not only is it smooth as fuck, you also never have to deal with the godawful N64 controller ever again.