Why aren't you learning java and making your dream games?

Why aren't you learning java and making your dream games?

What's stoping you?

Other urls found in this thread:

smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Even freebasic is a better option for making games than java.

Modded Pilotwings is already my dream game, so what's the point?

A game needs an artist, programmer, and muscian. Unless you have no job or school, you can't devote all your time in to some gay shitheap that's going to be pirated by some faggot instead.

I know Java but why would I waste my time creating video games when I have no artistic talent?

A person pirating my game will at least say that someone out there played my game, which is good enough for me.

Java is the official language of street-shitting H1-B Pajeets who work for $10 an hour without benefits and unpaid overtime, and have pushed thousands of white men out of the labor market. Fuck Java.

Because Java is a shit language.

Warm fuzzy feelings don't actually keep you warm when you're dying of hypothermia in a greasy alley, faggot. Have fun trying to eat your ideals.

Did you make this thread just to trigger programmers?

Drop out before you regret it, kiddo.

EU-kun, please lurk more and develop a better understanding of how pirating actually works before pretending to be economically concerned about anyone.

>barely make enough money from the entire ordeal to buy someone else's game
You're delusional if you don't think this would happen to 90% of anons if everyone here bothered to follow their dreams

I already know Java and have no desire to make games with it.

I took a programming class at local community college for exactly this reason. The professor was REALLY fucking stupid. He repeated the first class lesson for the first four classes. He had a lot of trouble finishing sentences, or explaining anything about programming outside generic analogies that were not illuminating. He was also super fat and had some kind of medical equipment hanging off him like a black baron Harkonnen so I think he may actually have had some sort of cognitive impairment too. I dropped it eventually but didn't get a refund because it was too late in the semester. 0/10 would not recomend

You belong in a fucking garbage can, get the fuck out.

Because I'm not a fucking streetshitter

I want to mak games but I dont know how to into java. can you teach me? what do I do first? can I download a java somewhere?

How's the last season/movie? I haven't watched them yet

I'd overflow your buffer if you know what I mean

It doesn’t matter, as long as your visions are realized. Art has a funny way of outlasting the artist.

Game maker and some really Basic C+ is all I need.
That being said, I can't draw the artstyle I want, and my niche is comfortably filled.

Maybe I will, but I'd like to use C++ to build a game first. I will spend next year doing that, and we'll see what 2019 has in store for me.

Buddy I don't give enough of a shit to learn what it's actually called, I just need it to work and make my damn roguelike burgertime game.

It won't work for idiots.

Well I'm sorry that you won't be able to play my game then.

I'm too busy learning 日本語

dohoho

haha same

If you don't give enough of a shit to learn the name of the language you're using to make your so-called dream game, then logically speaking you will more than likely not give a shit about ensuring your dream rogueshit game to work.

Do you honestly believe I would make a roguelike Burgertime?
How would that even work you retard.

You were the one who said it, not me. Just because you got your feelings hurt doesn't mean you should take it out on the rest of us. Just admit you're a faggot, mkay sweetie?

You know you're very good at picking up facetious speech.

All my dream games exist, so why making something that is already made?

Thank you, my friend. I truly hope you find happiness within your life, and I certainly hope you don't get raped by a pack of feral niggers.

HAH

It's easier being a idea fag.

My brother from another mother. I've been working since I was fifteen, and lost all of my programming skill, never had any music writing skill, and I abandoned drawing and most digital art in 2003. Free time is the water that grows the fruit of skill. Constant work is the overbearing sun that burns everything to death.

Second. My electronic engineering degree has a thick coating of dust on it now.

On the plus side, despair helps you lose weight, since you just skip eating, keep working, and when the hunger starts to hurt, you just drink water and sleep it off.

This.

Mediocre, the movie wasn't epic at all.

Hey don't be so bad buddy, take some baby steps and install a VM if you're so scared to try linux

Man up.

pretty good bait

Use a livecd or virtual machine if you're not comfortable with installing GNU/Linux on your computer. Honestly though, I'd suggest learning how to install/partition/setup operating systems at some point; it's a surprising useful skill.

*surprisngly

This guy gets it except for

If you want to go all in, download Pelle's C: smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/

I've already been using debian for some years, but the problem comes once i have to get rid of windows or install a different distro and not fuck up grub or something else on the hard drive.
Though i might save some money to buy an empty thinkpad and do lignux stuff on that.

OR you could just buy another harddrive and play with your bios.

college full time. Maybe after its done and I have a nice job
if I get one
I wanna make a giant robot game, I got programing fundamentals coming up so I can at least see what I would be getting into.

FUCK
JAVA
I have spent the last hour trying to add a death counter to permanently decrement player health in minecraft, and I have accomplished NOTHING in that hour. As far as I can tell, everything is set up as it should be for the NBT tag to be written/read and copied between instances of the player entity, I've still got fuck all to show for it. It's supposed to increment the death count by 2 on each death since 1 heart = 2hp, but the death count integer is stuck at fucking zero.

Post your code user

Freebasic is nifty as heck, what are you implying here?

How much of a cuck do you have to be to actually WANT to maintain some street shitter's horrid code?

Because he can make some good dosh doing it and fill his manchild cave with anime figs.
Duh.

Yeah, I can't say I haven't done the same. I managed to somehow wreck my first linux install (debian) by resizing some logical volumes. Still not sure how I did that. Wasn't much of a problem because I back up my /home regularly, but it was a learning experience at least. Used clonezilla and hopped to gentoo after that. Point is, those kinds of problems are unavoidable when it comes to managing operating systems, and knowing how to be proactive/deal with them is pretty nice.

That being said using separate machines for individual installs is definitely the way to go. If you're okay with sub-par hardware you can pick up a thonkpad on an ebay auction for like $30, $100-$200 if you want one that you don't need to put any extra parts/work into.

I hear that line of work is pretty soul-sucking, you'd probably be able to find more work as a COBOL programmer anyway; although that'd probably require some experience.

I don't want to make a game, first off. Second, I don't have the patience, knowledge or vision to make a game. Even if I did the gameplay would be very mediocre. I might be OK with the writing but I'm not really able to make up shit entirely on my own, I have to build on other people's concepts and ideas. I can't make graphics so I really don't have anything at all, the only way I could see myself working on a game is if I was assisting somebody else with their game.

Because I've been doing professional Java programming for 10 years and I pretty much hate it. My hands hurt from typing so much boilerplate.

Easier said than done.
There is a EntityPlayer class, which initializes the player entity as an extension of the Entity class.
EntityPlayer has a void function onDeath(DamageSource par1DamageSource)
that is called every time the entity's health reaches zero, there's already a call that updates the stat for accumulated deaths (for the statistics page), so I figured that adding a public deathCount int at the start of the class and then incrementing deathCount += 2 every time onDeath is called would be simple enough.
But then deathCount is always 2.
So trying to make it an NBT tag, I added deathCount to readEntityFromNBT and writeEntityToNBT, but that proved just as fruitless, making deathCount always 0, which makes sense I guess considering the NBT data is probably overwritten whenever the player respawns.
I'd probably be better off trying to read the deathstat from the statistics page and reducing the maxhealth from that.

t. Archer

You know you can do all of that ingame with like half a dozen command blocks and some scoreboards, right?
Man up and start coding in a 3D esolang already

I'm trying to make everything into configs for the vanilla game.
It's a lot fucking harder when you don't actually understand java.

Software development for big institutions is an endless deluge of fuck. Job security through unmaintainability is real.
Manufactured problems to excuse inflated prices and ridiculous deadlines. Coding standards that encourage coupling, unreadability and other issues in a way that, at the surface level, could conceivably be considered an interpretation of some more accepted best practices. Inconsistent and incoherent naming and APIs to make sure no other codeshop getting a glance at the codebase would even want to touch the project.
And you know damned well if someone has pointed out a flaw that is endemic to the code, giving some examples, only those examples would get some kind of tweak. Sometimes copy-pasted in a way that causes more problems.

Fuck.

user if you're looking for a hobby into music instead. Being able to just like, play instrument beats spending years making a shitty game. It can also be a great social activity/lubricant which you lot probably need.

Learn Assembly, followed by C++, or KYS.
Java is a shit language and even worse for games. Any game you manage to shit out in that language will forever be a blight upon humanity.

Rufus+Linux mint on a USB drive homie.

ADD
Ideology
Depression
Stupidity

They use COBOL

What the fuck are you doing?

Because Java is probably the worst language I have ever had the displeasure of being forced to use.

I don't know how to even begin trying to explain to you how fucking stupid you are.

Too busy working and masturbating.

Java is utter garbage and I despise the fact that there are places that teach that shit in the guise of "education" and "utility" when it offers none. You'll be far better off picking up several books on Assembly and C++ and start off from there.

Probably a cuckchan refugee.

no
no
All (you) need is suicide.

Hello rajesh here how may I help yoh

I tried learning java once. It's the most obtuse, fiddly pile of bullshit I've ever encountered.

Its quite straight forward and its said java has the most documentation out of all other languages but outside of android its really weird to use Java since for all kind of desktop applications there are better alternatives but if you want something simplistic java is okay that's probably why its quite popular in enterprise

probably modern software development

what is this trash

How far are you progressing, OP?

>I've got some docs written for a 'Puzzle' game I plan on making using RPG maker because free sprites and shit but worried that it'd be too shit

If you use the standard sprites pretty much no one will play your game.

Hey Notch.

Yeah, that's pretty telling of the quality of your language when people can only think of literally 1 even remotely successful game made with it.

Even more insulting now that the Windows version has been rewritten in C++.

True, to be fair I don't expect anybody to play the game. I'm just making it to see if I can.

fuck off gay nigger

Windows10 version you mean, which is identical to the android version and has a bunch of missing features and weird redstone behavior.

(checked)
You shouldn't expect people to play your game, but you also shouldn't half-ass it because of that. Unless you mean you want to prototype it and make it not shit if it turns out fun.

people whit software expertise and/or hardware expertise doesnt lurk here, just ask anything technical arround and you will see.

normalfag attempts at memes

I'll literally suck your dick if you find someone with technical expertise who DOES defend Java and isn't Indian.

Ugly looking code and it runs on a fucking VM, you're better off using C# if you want a powerful OOP language.

Regardless, "learning programming language" isn't how you develop video games, you find a game engine and learn that.