I AM TUROK

I AM TUROK

I just finished the first game and I want to say this game is fantastic. It is like doom but in 3d, its everything doom 4 should have been. The only negative thing I can say is that the platforming sucks.
I am installing the sequel now, some other user told me it was way worse but I can live with that. Did anyone play the reboot they did last gen? I played a short demo of it and thought it was ok.

The kids of the day like to eat the shit of yesteryear and pretend that they like it.

The kids of the day like to talk shit of yesteryear and pretend that they know what they are talking about.

Turok 2 is still good, but the level design can be confusing. If you don't know what your doing levels can take hours. They added hits markers that let you see where your going through walls just so you know what the fuck to do.

The remaster devs even said they simplified one of the most confusing levels (They're going to put up the OG version when the level editor is done.)
but I still got lost the first time.

I can't wait until the level editor for 2 is done.

The reboot is just absolute horseshit. I tried my best to look past the flaws and enjoy it for what it was, but it's mediocre at best and really shitty at worst. Don't waste your time OP, trust me.

Oh god the reboot… a key example of how trying to make something more modern will always ruins it.
Turok went from having one of best weapon selections there is to a god damn 2 weapon rule + a bow. And your just a generic space marine instead who's named Turok.
The Turok legacy doesn't exist, load of bull shit.

Friendly reminder turok predates Jurassic Park.

I was playing and I thought it was weird they did that, I thought it was just the original devs making it easier not the remake trying to "fix" problems. I will admit though the first level took way longer than I thought it would.

Turok 2 Good changes

Bad changes

So why do so many people hate the music of the PC version of Turok 2? The EX version even has the N64 music as the default setting. At release I only had the PC version and in my opinion the N64 versions sound worse. They are only midi tracks with mediocre instrument samples.

the xbox game was pretty decent. i enjoyed the dinosaur butchering.

I dont know about that but I think turok 1 music is better. Admittedly I am quite biased towards whatever the fuck instrument is making the BOING sound.

I thought the reboot was alright, and I guess I played it without this seeing through wall shit. I remember relying on the in-game map a lot for directions, though. Was there an option for disabling it?
I think they're even better, they go exactly where you're aiming and they're a guaranteed one hit kill on headshot in pretty much ANYTHING that is not a boss, which carried my ass in the alien mothership against those big ass brown fuckers.
My only problem was that the Shredder was still a broken piece of shit. If you used it with explosive ammo, you basically killed anything in one shot and also anything even remotely CLOSE to the vicinity due to the infinite bouncing that shit has. I swear, those shots must be programmed to ricochet into nearby enemies after a couple of bounces.

You're supposed to play it as God intended.

Also

I love video games.

I would love to but I dont have an N64, Haven't seen it since I was 7. Nobody knows what happened to it.

I love the drums and bass in the original Turok, but they're only like two or 3 tracks in the game. Turok 2 has a bunch of really slick atmospheric tunes.

Really, which one?

Turok 2 is the only game I ever bought the strategy guide for; I doubt I'd have finished it if I didn't.

Spooky

Lair of the blind ones.

That one actually isn't that bad, most of it is a pretty straightforward drop downwards. I tend to get lost more often in the hive of the mantids, and the final part of river of souls can be a bit frustrating.

I recently played through it, too, and it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting. The later weapons were cool, but they didn't feel like they were appropriately powerful, aside from the chronoscepter. The respawning enemies were annoying. The level design felt really lacking and barely did anything interesting with enemy placement. It's a fine game, but not as good as I've seen a lot of people make it out to be.

Holy shit, no it isn't.

Turok is pretty garbage tbh. Shitty levels and braindead respawning enemies. The gunplay is p good though.

What kind of criticism is this? Why does an enemy need to be smart?

You might as well ask why a game should be challenging you casual faggot.

I've beaten Gradius III you colossal faggot. Most enemy AI in that can be reduced to probably 5 lines of code. Enemy intelligence is not a metric either of challenge or design quality. There are tons of instances where you actually want enemies to have dumb, predictable behavior. It's called game design.

But I still would like to hear an actual argument. Why does an enemy need to be smart?

Sure you have.
COD is not a good standard for game design. I mean dumb enemies are excusable in certain instances of games like Doom (where sophisticated AI was a herculean task when FPSes were young) or Serious Sam where the objective is to mow down hoards of enemies.

But making smart enemies, or enemy AI that seems smart, is a mandatory objective in good design.

They don't need to be really smart for this type of game, but when coupled with tedious level design, it makes the game feel even more annoying.

Have some fucking patience you underage faggot:

No wonder you enjoy dumb games; you want instant gratification above all else, like a true casual.

How big is Turok's dick?

Yep, I sure have. Single-credit cleared some roughly 50 other arcade games too. Embarrassing to attempt an ad hominem attack against someone who's beaten orders of magnitude harder challenges than anything you've probably done, isn't it? This WebM you see around here from time to time? That's taken from a one-life replay of mine.

You've made a strong claim here. But can you explain why that claim is right?

I'm still waiting on an actual argument. Do you have one?

Sure user, sure. I'm also sure you have a giant 10 inch cock as well.
Because smart enemies actually provide a challenge as opposed to retarded enemies who run straight into your gunfire, how is this a fucking hard concept to understand you stu[id nigger?
I already have. Still waiting on your refutation.

When's the HD remaster gonna come out for Xbox One?

Who cares about that?

I do!

Are you perchance an imbecile, lad?

Nigger, why do you own that pile of broken trash?

It's telling that you would use a charlatan like Stefan Molyneux to prop up your own poor thought process. I can see why you might think making a claim with no explanation or evidence constitutes an argument.

Ah, but I already knocked down this idea in a previous post. Gradius III is one of the most difficult games ever made and its enemies are dumb as bricks. Thankfully, they're reliably dumb as bricks (minus a couple bosses), so the place knows what to expect and can grow and through skill overcome them. That's called game design. When you make every enemy as smart as a human being, every battle a psychological war, you remove predictability and, ultimately, skill from the equation. More importantly, when you take out sets of predictable behaviors from your enemies, you remove a feature that helps to differentiate them and make them unique, and do a disservice to level design possibilities through enemy placement.

FPSs don't have a huge amount of variety when it comes to attack types, most threats come in the form of fast-moving, aimed attacks. If you homogenize enemy behavior by making them all hyper intelligent you're removing a very important aspect of enemy variety.

so the player* knows what to expect

You forgot the real purpose of intelligent AI, which is fun. It's fun to see NPC's reacting to what you do.

The Turok games definitely have some entertaining AI at times. Novel when you first see an enemy running away from a following cerebral bore anyway.

I like the ease of use that it has.

I like the controller. Best controller out there BTW.

I like the fact that it's backwards compatible with both Xbox 360 and original Xbox games.

I like the fact that most everything the PS4 gets, it also gets.

I like that it can play CDs.

You need to be 18 to post here.

Wow, leave it to the pseudo intellectual youtube game design essay faggots to fuck up a Turok thread. Why can't you just shoot things because it's fun?

You really are a stupid nigger.
Nice argument.
Pretty sure making enemies smart means they'll rely on a variety of different tactics besides "run into player and shoot at him until he's dead".
You're a champ at making yourself sound like a fucktard.

Just fucking >>>/reddit/ already.

both of you go suck each off in some other alley, your sissy slapfight has nothing to do with turok

shame to hear the remake changed things around so much, all turok really needed was to not strain against the technical limitations quite so badly as it did at the time. i could never get past the view distance issue on console.

Maybe.

That's code for your mom threw it out because she was trying to clean house and doesn't want to admit she fucked up.

You do realize there is no point in arguing with someone if you accuse them of lying? Why would you debate something in bad faith with someone you don't trust? You have missed the entire point of this imageboard.

That reminds me of how double dumb HL2 was going to be before that all got tossed. What it ended up may not be the best timeline but it sure as shit could have been a real head shaker.

turok 2 on the n64 was the first fps i played, and i've replayed it several times since. when i first played it tho i used cheats to beat the last part of the lair of the blind ones and the rest of the game. didn't actually beat it without cheats til years later. man that game brings back good memories.

and the music! the soundtrack for turok2 fit perfectly.

turok 3: something of oblivion was also a blast, man i had so much fun with both of those games. haven't played the third one in years but i have the pc port of the 2 installed atm. imma boot up turok 2 on my pc and play some more of it.

anyone know what the playerbase is like for the turok 2 remastered multiplayer? i only own the original pc port, but i'm considering buying the remastered. altho based on the comments ITT i'll prolly skip it and stick with the original. don't wanna drop money just to be disappointed when i have the og.

or we could get a turok2 MP going from Holla Forums.

why are you fighting nazis in turok? i thought you fight dinos?

Turok 2 has more features and way more polish, but somehow it just doesn't have quite the same charm as the first one. It doesn't really help that the level design strays from complex to obtuse in a few too many places.

I ended up finding myself really bored with Turok 1 and 2's new ports. I got to the last stage of turok 1 and just said fuck it, noclipped to the campaigner and beat the game. turok 2 I got bored and never finished with it, I think I completed 3 or 4 stages, got to that one spaceship looking stage and dropped it.

the games just don't hold up. shooters just aren't that good.

Back to your JRPGs fag

You can fight both of them though: they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

but nazis as enemies is the ultimate sign of lazy writers

I'll stick to good shooters mister (1)

Its a mod, some mad man actually slammed wolfenstein and DOOM together in turok 1.

Drums remind me of this

sounds like Sephiroth

they need to make a game about infiltrating Khmer Rouge.

I think so. but let the tard enjoy his games.

lel consolefag

the level designs from the second game were the best part of the entire series, i wish more games would put up the effort to make retarded long levels which make you feel like a maze without going open world.

I can understand liking Turok like we did when we didn't have Quake 2 yet, but a teen pretending to love it nowadays is simply stupid. 4chan refugees really bring this place down.

I didn't even play Turok 1 as a kid. The game's just fun. It's endearingly stupid.

The real problem with Turok 2 has always been the slowdown. I don't know why noone in here isn't bitching about that.

It's not as bad as other N64 games like Goldeneye.

Quake 2 sucks ass you nigger.

playing the pc port (dono about the remastered, but the original pc port) has 0 slowdown, even on potatoes.

There he goes again.

Shut the fuck up you cuck. Go get infected with hiroshimoot's malware.

The people praising Turok 2's N64 version never owned a copy, the first pc port is far more playable.

I do think the N64 version has a far superior soundtrack though.

Soundtrack?

>>>/suicide/

yeah, turok 2 on the pc sounded like ass. It's why the entire n64 game was reverse engineered instead of the original PC port being used as a base. If you think the PC port was better than the N64 version, you're a retard.

you first faggot

I was going to get these but I heard they made them easier than the original versions and I liked them just how they were.

Reminder that GOG finally has the level editor released for Turok 1, but I think it's bit counter intuitive in some of the controls.

Hit tab, your welcome. The ports actually removed the cut and paste labyrinth parts and put their own stuff in it, the Port of Adia section I liked a lot.

No seriously, I can understand disliking Turok 2 due to its bullshit fetch quest nature which will fuck you up and make you replay the same fucking linear stages countless times just to find an item or teleporter.
Turok 1 however is fucking top tier shit with proper open and non labyrinthic level design, and if you got bored with it you should go to to the neareast medical clinic and ask for euthanasia.

preferring the n64 soundtrack to that of the pc port doesn't mean that the pc port as a whole is less than the n64. in every other way, the pc port is better, not least because it has no fps drops, like the n64 version had. plus the controls of a pc when playing an fps are infinitely better than a controller, always.

tl;dr kys faggot

turok 2 only becomes fetchy if you rush through levels without bothering to look for shit, or if you have the memory of a turkey. if your brain's memory capacity is that of an actual human, it's not hard to remember the basic layout of a level to go back for the feathers and shit you need to get. it takes almost no time at all.

take your own advice and end your life you stupid nigger.

fuckhuge levels with really boring enemy encounters and very samey layouts made any returns to these levels a fucking drag. turok 1 is OK but I also found a lot of the level design to lack creativity. The platforming meme isn't that it's hard or anything, it's a little awkward sure but you figure out how to gauge your distance in the challenge on level 3, but every time it repeats it is just a fucking waste of my time.

i wasn't comparing the turok2 pc port to modern games, i was comparing it to the n64 version. multiple folks in this thread criticized it for the fps drop and i mentioned that this was irrelevent if you use the pc port. is it really that difficult to understand or are you just that fucking stupid?

hive of the mantids was still somewhat laggy but at least playable with it, also fuck that level.

I had the expansion pak. The sad thing is you still had to turn the graphics setting down to make Turok 2 playable.

I love the lack of fog for that level in the port even then you can still get lost at some key points. Best song of the whole game though but man that's a fucking huge level, you'll be hearing this long enough for it too loop all the way through once.

Are you telling me that the Hive and the Blind Ones cave complex won't make you confused or make you lose or mix up shit easily?
Come on now, Turok 1 did level design and collectibles better.

So you haven't played the game?
Oh wait, you literally did not

Port of Adia is indeed great

I've never played the Turok games but wouldn't mind playing them. The GoG ports good by chance?
If so I'll torrent them

I also played it a lot on the n64 and remember the turok 2 big cheat, bewareoblivionisathand. Didn't hold up from my childhood, just kind of a shit game overall. I dunno why you're defending vacant levels, levels with repetitive and boring design, meek enemy encounters and

technically sound (for the most part, turok 2 had some weird performance issues but they may have been patched), but the games just aren't very good. imo play a good game instead

o no i forgot the end of my retort, well just make it up for yourself turok fans are pretty much just serious sam fans anyway

Play them, they're pretty great, like a mix of collectathon with FPS.

When certain enemies spawn after a while?
Maybe if you dislike Jungle and Native American themes, sure.
What does that even mean?
You got enemies that are as fast as you and will rush you and catch you up in 2 seconds flat

Oh, so you're just an autist with shit taste
Fair enough

wew laddie

this is why the first person genre sucks, the developers can just cater to retards for eternity and they'll still defend it and suck its cock

I love Serious Sam, but he's pretty on point with the first Turok. As someone who first played through it, recently, it's just not that good. It never really does anything interesting with the level design. It just throws some enemies at you every so often. It's not like Doom, which uses interesting combinations of enemies and terrain to create unique, interesting encounters. Turok's encounters are just bland, the platforming ranges from basic to tedious, and its way too samey with the level environments until the last two levels. The last point isn't helped by the bland art direction for most of the scenery. The collectathon aspect barely exists; rather than a sandbox to explore or a set of objectives to complete, there's just a few branches off the linear levels you need to go down in order to get level keys. Respawning enemies are no threat and are just annoying. The bosses aren't very interesting, either. They just chase you down while you shoot at them. The only one that works differently is the final boss.

I kinda like the bosses for being as aggressive as they are, but yeah it's pretty much just dodge-strafe and spam bullets at them. The turok games are pretty damn sloppy but I'd like to see turok 3 at least remastered because it's pretty solidly designed but runs at single digit framerates on the n64. turok 3 is pretty much the answer to the levels are huge & suck and there's no interesting enemy encounters.

You didn't play on the hardest difficulty immediately did you?

no they aren't a threat, none of the enemies are

Of course it got boring, you played on the easiest dificulty like the pleb you are.
Congrats

Confirmed for being a massive pussy, I suspected you didn't actually play the N64 version in full you didn't mention any other cheats and you kept emphasizing the fucking FPS as if that even mattered when you were a kid on the N64. I certainly did give a shit and FPS wasn't even a concept yet. The funner cheats was stuff like bighead mode or making everything scan lines with disco activated to see a raptor do a little dance and get down tonight.
The higher difficulties in Turok 1 increases the speed of the game and yes this is noticeable even on an N64 because of all the fucking fog to maximize the FPS to as much as possible you couldn't even see the fucking levels as well as you can and you'd get lost in a small circular room on a regular basis. It decreases pickup drops, max health you could possibly obtain, increased enemy damage and health. It is in fact so hard on the highest difficulty that maximum fog on the port is the only way to play it properly.

They actually dropped the speed up on every difficulty increase for the second game port because of this.

That's some pretty smooth movement. "Dinosaur Hunter engine" is a modified version of which commercial 3D engine? It looks like id Tech 1, but i'm not entirely certain.

Kex Engine, it's a reverse engineered Doom 64 engine by a Doom modder who got picked up by the team.

Interesting. It looks a hell of a lot better than Doom 64, which uses a version of id Tech 1.
It makes Doom 64 look like a tech demo / proof of concept in comparison. They did an amazing job.

Yeah it's basically a form of Zdoom, if you get the game off steam or GOG (not sure with Turok 2) it comes with it's own editor although missing some features there is an autist on the steam forums whom more or less figured everything out so you could straight up reskin everything although changing animations is the most tedious part.

Turok 2 is cemented into my mind as one of the worst games I played as a kid because of how bad the fog was on the N64. I recognized back then how cool it was but it was entirely unplayable as an 8 year old. Should've played it on the PC i guess? but then it'd still be shit next to Starsiege: Tribes

Half-life was gonna have a 2 weapon limit? that sounds retarded.

What makes you think i am pretending? I like the game, its really fun.