Ever look back on a game and realise it was trying something but failed?

So i recently replayed through all the fromsoft 'soulsborne' games from Shadow Tower to DS3 just because. Aside from reaffirming my dislike of DS3 in particular i also noticed something that was bugging me before but i couldn't put my name on it last time.

Every single boss is some variation on the theme of parasitism. Some like Gundyr and the tree have literal parasites inside them. Overs like Dancer and Vordt have used rings from Pontiff sullivan to gain power at the cost of their humanity. More lucid bosses like Sullivan or Nameless king use the power of another to gain greater abilities and even the Sould of Cinder is just an amalgam of scraps on the frame of Gymn while fights like the legion and the choir are multiple entities sharing a single soul.

The deep sea teasing always felt like more story i expected to see in dlc but it never happened. A lot of us saw the trailers with the black parasites and thought 'thats humanity going buck wild and out of control at the end of days' or 'thats new primordial serpents being born from men' or even 'men are turning into dragons as the world returns to grey' but this very clear 'many supporting the few' or 'something relying on the power or something else' is a constant theme yet the story doesnt touch on it at all.

Its always felt like a half finished game. Not because they ran out of money but i think the team was just sick of turning into a meme studio at that point but do you think they were going for something that never came through in the final retail build with the bosses?

I hate all the souls games. Demons souls was okay I guess. Bloodborne just makes them all seem shit in comparison. I sold my PS4 because it was garbage.

que?

I was done with it.

Already a shit thread
Fromshit and Souls is always a haven for shitposting though.
Once it got popular on cuckchan and their 7th Gen console garbage it was bound to become a cancerous hellpit with a little help from Reddit.

DS3 is linear as all hell. Fuck you.

Stopped reading there.
I appreciate your effort put in that wall of text, but with taste this shit we have nothing to discuss.

You're a goddamned retard who hasn't played it, DS3 has lots of issues and linearity sure as hell isn't one of them.

How about a game that succeeded but plebs didn't understand?

I know theres an exodus going on but good lord you best be low tier b8. Dark Souls 3 was a phoned in mess. It tries to blend DS1 and Bloodborne and it doesnt work. Everything in the game is 'HEY REMEMBER DARK SOULS 1! AND MEMES!" to an immersion breaking degree. Weapon Arts are a pointless attempt at balancing magic which again doesnt work. Too many bonfires. Shit weapon arts means you have no need for ash estus and spend most of the game like you kindled every bonfire constantly. Builds like hex builds dont get proper items to use till the fucking archives in the second to last area of the base game. animation errors are everywhere with now years of documented proof of enemies teleporting in single frames across rooms in ways that at first appear to be lag but are just buggy collision errors. The story is a mess, what little isn't just DS1 again. It recycles so many things from Bloodborne like assetts and reskinned models. Its the easiest and shortest game in the series. It only has traps in carthus. it has shit ambushes that are undead humans sticking to sheer walls like spiderman and that shit doesnt work 5 games in.

I could go on all day about how its objectively the worst game fromsoft have ever made. Others have flaws but also each offer something they do better than the others. DS3 excels at nothing. It is hot mediocrity liked by vaatifags and plebs.

DS3 does have plenty of issues and linearity IS one of them. I played the game through the entire thing multiple times and like a good goy even the dlc. DS3 is a mess that didn't know if it wanted to be the successor to DS1 or to Bloodborne and instead inherited the worst traits of both.
Bloodborne=DaS > DeS > DS3 >>> DS2

Yeah you don't know what parasitism is. You're grasping at straws and it's really getting sad.

Even worse than Enchanted Arms, Ninja Blade or Armored Core V?

EVEN WORSE THAN THAT PIECE OF SHIT GAY DUDE IN ENCHANTED ARMS ALONE.

This

The game let you make the 'wrong' choice on where to go such as by skipping that boss fight with all the people in Cathedral of the Deep or killing the old lady and beating Dancer, but it still ended up being linear in that you were forced to head back and continue with the game's intended order. If you killed Dancer you got stuck at the Libraries gate until you beat all the Lords of flame (can't really remember the names too well) and likewise if you skipped Cathedral of the Deep you ended up missing the Doll and had to go back cause of that invisible wall thing.

And same thing for with how it wanted to be Bloodborne; the combat was a mess since in both PvE and PvP you were gimping yourself unless you stuck with a dodging-based build. Shields were mostly a crutch, heavy armor of no use, magic was risk for little reward unless you went with one cookie-cutter damage build and PvP had no hope from the start since dodging was so powerful

There's plenty more I'm sure I could think of, however I haven't played since the last DLC

I still squeezed some decent hours out of the game, but I agree with you too, %100. The game looked nice compared to the others and the first playthrough was nice, but it had none of the staying power of the others

That's true for any souls game. You can't advance without beating the objective and that's fine.

3s biggest problem is that it's entirely forgettable. It doesn't do shit the other games didn't already do. The world lacks a personality with locations you think about later.

It's the anti-demon's souls in this way

this is probably the millionth fucking thread about this series. whatever opinion you have about it will never change, everyone who posts in here is just here to confirm their bias about whatever they think. its the same shitflinging abyss that it always has been. the series should have stopped at dark souls, period, because that was the logical conclusion of the franchise. everything else has been a way to get money out of the same kinds of people who constantly post about this tired ass shit.

just stop.

Ubisoft is shit. The game had so much promise but never got polished. Twice I hit a wall at ~60% where the never-patched bugs ruined it for me. For example, about halfway, those jackal tapes get stuck on the same recording.

The game they were working on right after that was the outside canon Prince of Persia game. Which they also didn't finish. The ending DLC wasn't released on PC…

At being shit at anything but the world mapping.
Gameplay is fucking horrendous even with Dylams mod and S.T.A.L.K.E.R does a much better job than this piece of shit with no variety, awful design and worldbuilding.
Only thing going for it is that it doesn't have a minimap.

Good thing I never played Bloodborne then.
Can't see the similarities besides the recyded animations and the faster pace of the game.
Weapon arts are indeed pointless though, I give you that
Around the same as the first DS
Maybe you're just a jaded fuck
Seeing those references and how corrupted those characters became was great.
It kinda was and kinda wasn't
Who?
Didn't see any of them
DS Hydras however…

I really couldn't give less of a shit
Yep you're retarded

You have yet to explain how it is linear or more linear than the first Dark game

You probably would enjoy it more not going "oh hey so this is vordt of the borea- oh its bloodstarved beast with a mace" constantly.

Archdragon Peak and the Painting World are anything but forgettable.

And yet I've finished the entire base game and don't remember anything but the undead village having a tranny in it.

Probably, I won't buy a PS4 to find out though.
Plus I didn't pay for it

The Berserk Conviction Arc Priest inspired magical bitches who laugh?
You have a really shitty memory and even shittier taste.
Ashes of Ariendal besides the Black Dragon was probably the only shit area in the game.
Especially being the last piece of DLC.
Only good thing about it was the final boss, which was still shit lorewise.

You're right but I feel DaSII at the least was non-linear since you could truly choose the order you wanted to beat the 4 bosses and that you could just skip it if you had enough souls

But even so the PvE wasn't really DaSII's forte anyway, I'm sure most would concede it was enjoyable mostly because of the PvP

Putting words in my mouth, are you? I'm just saying the game despite presenting multiple pathways only ends up having a basic order to how its played. I think, much like with the first and second, the only choice you really get is what important boss fights you want to do first.

Unlike the others here, my main gripe with the game was how limited it was with playstyles as I said before. Anything short of choosing dodging builds with fast weapons was pointless(both online and PvE), however I mostly only bothered with PvP here.

Your opinion is shit
I shall now disregard everything you post.

And your opinion is non-existent, you haven't even mentioned why you liked DaSIII (although I can see why would've hated DaSII since you don't enjoy PvP)

I enjoy the PvP since its unique; what other game lets you invade other people's world's? It certainly makes the game more interesting when you're fighting against players to complete the story

The game was boring. I started it because the first level is inspired by demon's souls. Once that was done it was just boring. The bosses were a push over and it made the entire thing forgettable.

I don't jerk off to manga. I don't care what berserk had in it, I only care what the game is like. It failed. Your nostalgia bait doesn't change that.

Dark Souls 2 only real problem is being able to teleport from the start. If you removed that it would be a much more popular game. The teleporting just breaks up the world too much and areas that should feel isolated don't get to feel that way.

The Gulch is a real ball ache as it is now but imagine how much worse it would be if you couldn't just teleport out and go else where.

I don't like Dark souls PvP. I liked Demon's souls PvP though. I prefer a hunt to a duel.

I recently come to terms with the fact that maybe miyazaki did not intend for the souls series to become a series in the first place. OP posts something that isn't exactly exclusive to DS3: the fact that there's some untapped theme that never went anywhere. DeS and DS1 left a good enough impression due to being the first impression of the series, but 2 failed due to mixed and mishandled priorities while 3 has flaws thanks to the mix of bloodborne elements on the original souls experience.

2 at least gave the impression of going for a theme of memories and forgetting, it's pretty obvious from the way that people hollow not because they give up but because they forget their purpose completely, you also go inside memories to revisit time periods, it would've been nice to see gameplay mechanics with the chosen undead traveling through eras and affecting the landscape and levels of drangleic depending on the interactions on those time periods, but we never saw either that or the parasitism theme of DS3 because the devs/miyazaki seemed almost afraid to even deviate a little from previously established ideas. The fact that bloodborne raked in all the appraisal while the souls series seemed to stagnate only reinforces my suspicion that miyazaki really never thought much about sequels to the souls games specifically. I still like DS3 and find it a good game, flaws and everything.

2 also had a rewrite. In the original the old woman i the intro is the emerald herald sending you back in time to fight nashandra as part of a closed loop thing and you were teleporting not to different areas but different times. There are some holdover assetts in the PC build like a little girl version of the herald but that opening 'you'll lose your souls' was not in fact a nod and a wink like vaati would tell you but was the herald recalling her memories of you saving the world knowing shes condemning you to go back to burn in the kiln on the throne in nashandras place to keep the timeline correct.

-Decent variety of areas with some references to the first game.
-Better visuals
-Better level design
-High variety of enemies with a shitton of attack patterns and creative ones as well
-High quality animations
-Decent atmosphere even though it gets nowhere close to DS, DeS and Bloodborne
>Boss Battles which change moveset depending on their damage threshold done on Bloodborne first though
Its still a good game, I think it could have been more creative with some of its areas but its a decent 8/10 game.
I guess having plenty of recycled content soured those who played it.
I can understand that, thing is, I didn't play Bloodborne.
I couldn't give less of a shit about PvP, PvP has always been fucking cancer in these games and not how the game was meant to be played.
Invasions were supposed to be something quick and random that would keep ypu on your toes, not Esports tier faggotry.

I had almost gotten over you retards posting with double spaces because I assume you're just phone posting.

But now cancer has metastasized.
And I'm seeing more people post like this.
I wish you would just go back.

I could say that about every game in existence.
It could aplly to any of them
Fair enough
I'd still argue that wasn't the case with 5 of them.

Oh look, Reddit is trying to fit in by pretending to know what Reddit spacing is.

Double spacing is reddit spacing you retard. It's cockgobblers like you that are making cancer worse.
>>>/out/

Oh yeah almost forgot
Soulsfags truly are the most cancerous fucking beings.

Probably the same faggots fellating the franchise in the DS3 generals while I kept warning them not to hype it up while they called me a faggot saying they were pre ordering anyway.

Seriously, this whole community needs to fucking burn.
I'm just glad the majority doesn't know about Kings Fields or Shadow Tower and most Fromfags fellate either AC or Tenchu instead.

oh and ds3 is shit. I don't know where you came from but go back to it and never make another thread here again.

Project harder faggot.

WHY IS EVERYONE SO MAD

You're trying too hard Reddit you don't fit in.
You never will

Nice argument Reddit, you're truly fitting in.

Soulsfaggots are absolute fucking cancer OP, you should know this by now.

The bosses changing pattern was done in Dark Demon's souls and Dark Souls 2 first. you give credit to things in games you clearly didn't play and that's why you like the new ones.

Dark souls 2 did this on multiple occasions and what happened? People bitched about it having multiple enemies in a boss fight. There's even a boss who summons another boss!

I JUST WANTED TO TALK ABOUT THEMATIC BOSS IMAGERY!

I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU DAD!

I haven't even opened this thread, and I already have the answer which you seek. It is because 1.) it is Holla Forums, and 2.) it is Souls.

The game looked good and had a good PvE, yes, but you're talking to someone who mostly played the game for making lots of viable builds for both PvE and PvP, and that's where I think the game did worst at.
I will admit, I don't think it was a bad singleplayer experience, the game was made around that only, but its mess of a PvP and poor balance of weapons and build choices is what made me dislike it. That's why I ended up with the most hours in DaSII, so I guess its no surprise our favorites are both different

Yes, reddit spacing is a shitty meme because dividing up sentences by a gap is done for readability when you can have 2 lines the same length on top of each other but are supposed to be seperate. It's been done since the early days of 4chan for this very reason. It's newfags who didn't notice or care until you got mind fucked by a bad meme.

Lastly reddit is a double space

A single line break on reddit doesn't divide text at all. It's just ignored.

So now you know.

In all fairness, DaSII failed badly there since the bosses had a low chance to ever use their gimmick and they died to early; I mean how many people even noticed the water was rising during that lizard boss fight or that pursuer gained new attacks from stealing your humanity?

I believe he's referring to the Abyss Watcher fight where its a free-for-all

Technically reddit spacing is a goon meme brought up in one of their raids early last year because they think its the ultimate checkmate because one of them leaked their 'spam dubs to turn hatechans V into a shithole' sekrut plan and they needed someone new to please their transvaginal mistresses.

And none of the people you replied to did that. Boo fucking hoo
Its called a paragraph, and it helps when one's typing out their autism

Let me correct you there you meme posting faggot. Souls games are inspired by the Fighting Fantasy books by Ian Livingstone. The guy who went on to found Games Workshop. Mikazaki had poor English skills so he couldn't always understand what was happening but tried to play them any way. This lead to having lots of mysterious parts which he had to fill in from his imagination. This is why Souls lore works the way it does.

Might and magic is a modern as fuck game compared to the shit that inspired souls.

Of course. Why create anything new when you can just keep ripping off the past? It's almost like this is the entire problem with Dark souls 3. It doesn't create anything, it just remixes something from before. Including a sword giving a nod to Berserk isn't a problem. Making the entire game reference something is a problem.

And are you really going to circle jerk Berserk? A manga that starts with a FEMALE mercenary leader and multiple brown people? She may have even been brown if I recall correctly. So lets talk how cancerous your little STRONK WOMYN AND BASED NEGRO manga is that you want referencing so hard.

The water risers in the double bodied ship boss which everyone noticed.

Everyone noticed sinners darkness gimmick.

Pursuer was balls hard originally and the only gimmick any one noticed was the giant crossbows. No one notices a change in his moveset as you never survived him doing shit to you.

Barely
Abyss Watchers are fine though

Souls has always been flooded by tryhard faggots ever since Bamco shilled DS heavily and cuckchan started paying attention to it.
The amount of metafaggotry and comparison between the titles due to all the niggers who consider it "the pinnacle of vidya" and the autists who waste countless hours on its PvP for some god forsaken reason have made it an absolute fucking pain to discuss and Bloodborne being PS4 exclusive certainly didn't help.

Its the ASSFAGGOTS community but the games are actual good or at the the very least, average.
Funny how Nioh still manages to have half civilized discussion.

Now this is legit Redditspacing
>>>/reddit/

Fair enough
I still think PvP is absolute fucking cancer and shouldn't be any focus of the game besides providing players some variety on their subsequent playtroughts.

Pretty sure around 90% of weapons have identical movesets with just a different weapon art, or identical weapon arts and movesets minus the r2. I know shit like the longsword and astora straightsword are just clones of each other moveset-wise.

Everyone remembers Darklurker's half health gimmick.

Flame Lurkers moveset changes depending on how hurt he is. His health defines his aggression and which moves he will use.

Sif changes based on damage taken. It's one of the most applauded parts of the fight.

The asshole with the giant bell changes. Smelter demon changes. In the 2nd DLC there's a guy who has 2 swords and then drops his sword and sets the other on fire to 100% change his moveset. He gains 3 new combos, a new magic spell, 2 new swipes and probably more shit I've missed. He is a completely different boss.

And you know what faggot? Dark souls 2 did it BETTER. If you put on the bell faggot's helmet then he instantly changed to stage 2. He hated that guy so much he went to his second more powerful moveset to kill him. It brought the lore into gameplay and if you had already mastered the first half of the fight you could skip it entirely to go to the second with more health.

Nioh has no discussion because it isn't a very good game. It's DmC without insulting the DMC fanbase.

I cannot for the life of me find that one webm of the abyss watchers using their rolling attack for several straight minutes, never running out of stamina (since that's not a thing for enemies in ds3), never pausing long enough for the player to attack, and never hurting each other because they all had aggro on that player.
But if I could, I'd post it, along with the comment "Abyss Watchers is RNG bullshit"

Soulfaggots are sickening.
You can't even get the name of your precious dev right
You're a retard
Yes, it does, well beyond the references considering they're a reasonably small part of the game and setting.

Nope

Nah, they're barely noticeable
Do you watch Vaato by any chance?

ok give examples

You had shit like the Hydra and the Moonlight Butterfly in DS which are even worse.
Soulfaggots are the most hipster tryhard fuckers I have ever known on my life, holy shit.

How? You can dodge everything the MLBF tosses out. The hydra's hydro pump is bullshit, doesn't ever make the situation unwinnable.

I mean, I agree that neither is actually a fun fight (unless you're a sorcerer fighting the MLBF) but I want to know how either could be worse than 'fight's unwinnable because rng'

So that is the interesting thing about Fromsoft they've made and published a bunch of games but the ones that kinda stuck where Souls and mecha.

But the next game fromsoft is making seems to be tenchu, so if that get popular I wonder what will happen in general.

SJW pandering or not it's literally the STRONK WOMYN and BASED NEGRO arch type in a manga you're treating like it's pure gold.

Dark souls 3 is nothing but a reference fest. It's basically the most defining character of it's entire personality. It's easier than all the others and it just references shit constantly. Or is Anor Londo now ORIGINAL LOCATION DO NOT STEAL?

You're literally the cancer complaining about older more experienced fans not living your nostalgiafest and how THOSE guys are the new fags.

You're

One

Away

From

Screaming

Reddit

This video is going to tell you how retarded you are. It's going to do it so extremely well that I'm not even going to reply to you any more. It's just so damn effective at it's job I can't compete.
Posting

And here's him immediately switching forms due to the helmet being worn.

Honestly ds3 was a bit of a let down but my friend gave me a decent explanation for the sea fore shadowing
Was ds3 story shit? Yes
Does the explanation make sense? Also yes

Its the same problem all Souls games have had really, all the generic weapons share the same moves binded to different attacks and the unique ones like boss weapons end up being laughably weak with few exception.
From seems really bad at making gimmicks worthwhile when it comes to special movesets; and its a shame since weapon arts seemed to be their fix for the monotony

DaSIII at the least, had less weapons and thus less pointless bloat with all the reskins of bloody longswords

Mail breaker, rotten ghru dagger: Same moveset, different WA
Corvian greatknife: Different strong attack, but otherwise same moveset as the prior two.
Scholar's Candlestick: Identical to mail breaker and rotten ghru dagger except for the followup strong attack and WA
Brigand Twindaggers: unique

straightswords
Longsword and broadsword: Same moveset, same WA, broadsword has a different onehanded strong attack
Broken Straightsword: Identical to the broadsword in every way
Astora's Straightsword: Identical to the longsword in every way
Lothric Knight sword: Identical to the longsword except its twohanded strong attacks are thrusts
Barbed straightsword: Identical to the longsword in every way
Irithryll sword: Identical to the longsword in every way
Sunlight sword: Identical to the longsword, but with a different weapon art.
Gotthard Twinswords: Unique

I'm not going to bother going through the rest but thanks for proving yourself wrong

IS TENCHU THE DARK SOULS OF STEALTH GAMES????
every journalist will say when it's released

b-but you don't understand! With this one I have 3 frames of recovery and that one I have 5 frames! I can roll 0.039 seconds faster and that allows me to combo the retard wrangler R2 into the Sonic dagger R1 for an extra 16.4% damage!

Its Kuon you idiot

How is it RNG?
Its only RNG if like with any other fight you just throw yourself at the enemy and win by luck.
Just play your cards right and you'll get the second moveset where there will be no more secondary Abyss Watcher spawn.

Except it doesn't work and she gets limited every time because shes a woman, but you haven't read it so you wouldn't know Soulsfaggot.
Everything from the Black Swordsman to the Golden Arc is great, everything else goes from decent to straight shit in anything but art.
Theres nothing nigger about Casca
Sure and I'm Jewish
You're rabidly shitposting at this point after getting BTFO.

Watch Part 2

It had more unique weapons though
More than the previous games

Why? So you can make up some other bullshit and waste more of my time? Fuck off. Itemize the evidence for your own arguments yourself or accept you're a nigger.

Dark Souls 3 has more unique movesets than the previous entries.
Prove me wrong

Faggot

i'll take burden of proof for 100 alex

What's wrong with butterfly? Just midroll.
Hydra seemed like RNG, but you could shield majority of the damage and roll to evade most of its damage long enough to take a head or two off, even at low levels.

It has plenty of discussion and is a pretty good game despite its garbage randomized loot.
But I guess someone who has played the pinnacle of vidya which is Souls can't be bothered to play anything else.

I guess if you just keep on the attack you never have to address the flaws of your own arguments.

Here, I'll do it and trigger you at the same time: Weapon Arts

With very specific gear, you either dodged and got close or you were dead.
Its even worse than the Abyss Watchers

He has to decribe why the game is bad in the first place.
Me mentioning the random loot which is partly subjective is already more indepth than his initial attack.

But honestly I'm just here to laugh at Soulfags, they're the most pathetic sacks of shit I have ever witnessed in my life.

you mean that thing that was 'stance' for literally every straight sword except for the gotthard twinswords?

You're arguing with an autistic fanboy. Stop it

What tremendous faggotry is this?!

Nioh doesn't get the shit community that Souls does because
1. It's primarily a single player game and the PvP is nicely sequestered over to the side so it doesn't interfere, ans
2. The "lore" is basically late Sengoku politics + the Hyakki Yagyo so it lacks speculation while simultaneously being largely impenetrable to people who don't already have some knowledge or interest in either of those subjects.
These to things together form a nice ward against normal faggotry and I'm thankful for it.

The fuck are you talking about? Have you even tried to kill the hydra? If nothing else you can do it with starting armour on knight and the grass crest shield.
The Butterfly is the easiest thing to dodge in the game. You midroll under its attacks everytime. Its one of the few bosses that punishes you for having a light roll because you come up too quickly from behind the edge of the wall.
You're either a shitter, or you're pretending to be retarded, because I'm a shitter and I don't think these things are remotely a problem.

Whoa, really? I always just played touhou with it and only rolled when I seriously fucked up. I'm gonna have to try that next time.

Thank fuck for that
When someone points me for unwarranted self importance and autist I point to these faggots.

Its like the agressive autism of ASSFAGGOTS fans mixed with the elitism and self importance of Persona fans.
Christ

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA
Stay eternally buttflustered Soulfaggots, I'm sure one of those Soulslike that you'll hate because its not exactly like Souls will hold you off from suicide for another week.

Heavy roll is even more effective, but midroll is the sweet spot. Just cling to the edge and roll when its shit is launching out. Be careful for the homing one.

I have
Countless times,
You either get a tower Shield to block that fuckhuge amount of physical damage or you're fucked for anything other than dodging and even then you got the bottomless pit to worry about once you get close and the lock on system goes haywire.
Yeah, but the Abyss Watchers, those were bad bosses.

you obviously haven't read very far into it if you think casca is sjw, one because the manga is older than than that movement by like 2 decades, two because you're a dumb faggot, three because she spends half of the first arc barely avoiding getting raped and even fails in a battle because she's on her period, FOUR because you're a dumb faggot, FIVE she literally gets fucked braindead and is 'STILL''' effectively retarded this far into the series. Most women in beserk exist only to get raped stop trying to fit in you gigantic fucking mongoloid

yes, they would be that retarded. Heck, if they just fucked with them and released a new Ninja Blade game, and not say anything about it's number 2 in the series or a prequel. The same people would say in the lines of Dark souls of ninja gaiden games or hack n slash games.

Dunno, seems more likely to be tenchu since they have not had a Tenchu game for a long time. And it's FromSoft rights of the IP kinda why the Shinobido devs are pissed at from soft for having the rights to Tenchu.
Also there is so much references to Shadow in the Tenchu games in the most recent ones.
So tell me how it can be Kuon?
How can it not be Fuuun Shinsengumi Bakumatsuden for all we know?

I played multiple Nioh betas/demoes. I didn't like the way the gameplay flowed and I really hated the level design. It just wasn't very good.

Dark souls 2 objectively did it better when it comes to move set switches. Fume knight switches into an entirely new boss who uses most of Gwyn's moveset when he previously used a straight sword as his primary weapon.

I'm all for saying Dark souls 2 is flawed but I'm not going to act like it didn't do some things well. It has the best hub of any Souls game. Majula is my favourite area of any area by a mile. It's almost impossible to improve that place.

Butterflies shotgun pins can it you even if you midroll. I like mid rolling best in any souls games and I've been hit by that attack several times by mid rolling even though my timing is correct. That's why you hug the front wall and roll so your hitbox is behind it. You may still get hit very rarely but it's 99% safe.

ITS KUON, I'LL MAKE IT REAL EVEN IF YOU RESIST!!!

Yea, I can't see how Berserk isn't on the same path when it puts women in positions of power. I mean a roving band of psycho mercenaries always listen to their strong womyn leaders.

Kekistan am I right magapede?

Falseflagging soulsfaggot goons such as yourself go to the >>>/oven/ where they belong

What did you find wrong with the level design?

I just hit Creepy Castle in DK64 and the collectables are actually laid out per Kong for the first half. If they just could have balanced the rest of the game out like that and done more with using the Kongs' together it could have come together a lot less tedious.

It's hard to describe it other than "it felt like a PS2 game". There's lots of obvious tunnels to block line of sight which don't feel natural. It was like running down trenches more than a real world.

I think ESL niggers do more to damage this board than anyone at this point

It's like punishing good players for having reflexes

Maybe just, like, watch the boss charging up the green energy then roll before it releases, and hug the front wall. Instead of being a shitter who has trouble with the second boss of the game.

To me, Dark Souls is just about combat and vistas. I'm literally never immersed in its world or characters or lore because giving me a depressing world when I am already living in constant depression means nothing in the game is impactful or meaningful in any way to me.

Believe me I have tried to find something in all three games but because everything is so morose in the game it blends in seamlessly with my life, rendering Dark Souls as nothing more than a time waster for my hazed mind. I can see it tries to keep my attention, it does - but it just doesn't.

Oh you mean Kuroshima then. Yeah it's sort of confined but there are other stages that are more sprawling like Dazaifu and Itsukushima or are nice big samurai castles for you to explore and the Iga funhouse is just plain enjoyable.
The four best stages though are side missions though: the three gods shrine, the fox shrine, the snow shrine, and the bath house are comfy as shit. The cavern shrine and the cemetery are both pretty nice too but aren't as good as those first four I mentioned.

Secret of Mana and its multiplayer. Needing to use a peripheral for 3 players to play was just plain retarded.

I'm playing on a WotLK private server right now and suddenly got this strange feeling of immersion after zooming in to first person that modern WoW just seems to have abandoned. Like it was an actual roleplaying world instead of just a game. And then my level 10 character's health restored automatically in seconds and pulled me right out of it. Seriously why even have food at levels that low if you don't even need it.
Wasn't WoW called an Everquest ripoff? Did EQ capture that feeling better?

stopped reading there

As a huge Tenchu fan I really don't want From to touch the series; let it stay as dead as Kiku and leave it what little dignity it has left after the story and gameplay disaster that was Shadow Assassins. Ask yourselves AC fans, Kuon fans, KF fans etc., no matter what game From makes next, the soulsborne 'community' will descend upon it, is that what you really want? You'll either get soulsborne mechanics ruining the game or Gen Z turdnuggets throwing an enormous, swarming shitfest about how there aren't soulsborne mechanics ruining the game. I've already had to deal with people calling Tenchu, a 9 game series that invented the stealth kill and stealth kill animation as 'obscure', do not wish the same on yourself. Sometimes, dead is better.

I'm curious, what is your opinion on Vinland Saga? (if you've read it).
I just started reading Berserk for the first time this week, and I'm glad you mentioned that the quality drops off after the Golden Age arc, so that I don't get my hopes too high.
But, from where I got to in Vinland Saga, I found it to be a lot more enjoyable than Berserk so far.

Is this the Dark Souls of Far Cry games?

I don't understand the hype about that game here. I liked it enough to play thought it, but the whole world was one big copy paste of the same shit.

I'm not the guy you're replying too but Vinland Saga takes a nosedive when the farming arc starts and imo never really recovers. Also I'm sort of tired of the whole "wow vikings are so cool" stuff.

kek

my opinion actually did change,although not from the thread
I started playing with dark souls, and playing ds2 and ds3 I thought they were just not as good
I still think that
but I also thought that ds2 was irredeemable shit
I dont think that anymore, when I forced myself to play through the DLCs I was getting very frustrated fighting aava, when at some point the game just clicked and I beat aava for the first time on that attempt, it was almost easy, I didnt get it before then but ds2 is pretty fun

Please learn to read.

(you) have to go back

found another one!
;^)

I know what you mean OP
But you should bear in mind the series was doomed ones (((Bamco))) caught a whiff of profit from Dark Souls sales, watch the trailers and marketing for games like 2 and onwards with a rock track over the player dying repeatedly, you can tell it was made by out of touch execs that wanted to push it as an "omgwow so hard guize xD" game, the way they handled youtube Ecelebs with review copies etc only further supports evidence of Bamcos kikery, Under such a greedy Publisher creative influence on the series was bound to have been stifled.

You'll like it up until the MC becomes a fucking pacifist and travels the world to help his village in fucking shonen tier fashion.
Haven't picked it up since then and haven't bothered to check if it gets better.

I still want to impregnate Ylfa holy shit

I hate that the series is popular because faggots saw the "it's two hard!!! :P XD" meme and now that is all they pander to. I've been playing Demon's Souls and nothing in the game is too challenging. The most difficult parts are some of the levels and how confusing they can be, such as Latria prison. You can also get buttfucked by bosses if you aren't prepared, especially flamelurker, who is the first "fast" boss of the series, and the False King who can really mess up your day if you aren't careful and get hit with his Soul Suck.

It is a crying shame, you can tell the damage that marketing and new audience did by the way all game journos are spewing, "Truly Cuphead is the Darksouls of platformers"

DS3 has some of the most boring and shit level design and shit bosses.

Bound By Flame

Beats Dark Demon Blood Souls everyday of the week. But since it's not a Sony-game, or Japanese nobody talks about it.

Dark Souls (and all its derivatives) are fucking trash
Jesus Christ who could even come up with a worse idea?

Bump

Like what?
All which funnel you into a single path
Are you fucking retarded? did you even play the game or just watch some youtuber do it?

How can you dislike DS3? It was objectively the best in the series and beats other games by far. it has great lore and gameplay and finishes the series on a great note.

They are all missing something.

Demon's Souls was missing the 6th archstone and all of the content that would have come with it. Dark Souls 1 felt content complete (to me at least) but levels after getting the Lordvessel weren't fully polished. Dark Souls 2 was missing Miyazaki's direction, and Bamco's insistence on stripping down their next-gen engine to fit on last-gen consoles was awful. Bloodborne was missing its planned beasthood mechanics and the search for Paleblood, which is mentioned in the opening cutscene and a couple of NPC conversations, but then completely forgotten for the rest of the game. Dark Souls 3 had a planned human sacrifice mechanic that was scrapped, and the abyss's advancing corruption of the world over time was scaled back into a more generic "time and space is collapsing" thing.

In the end the gameplay is solid enough to have a good time but it does hurt knowing that you could have had something even better with just a bit more funding and development time, and less publisher interference.

it's pretty forgettable and the level design leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn't really capitalize on its level themes very well. Just not a very good game.
hi mustard

I was so disappointed the first time I entered Firelink Shrine in 3 and realized that access to the next level was not by walking to it, but by teleporting to it at the bonfire. The Dark Souls 2 level design team struck again, only this time they at least had competent environment art and current-gen engine to work with.

hl2

it tried to be a worthy sequel to hl1, it failed in every possible way

The best one is DS1

countersage

kill yourself, kike.

KILL yourself, kike. KILL yourself.

KILL YOURSELF

parasitism = communism

All I wanted was vikings raping and pillaging. Yet somehow the japs inserted pacifism into raping and pillaging.

Obviously.

wow cataclysm was kind of this
had some good ideas, but it was just too much work and in the end they ended up shitting out an unfinished mess

Worst meme is faggots saying DaS2 is better then 3 ,despite DaS3's issues it's still a better fucking game then 2.

3 dropped a lot of things
and kept so many of the bad things
so I actually commiserate with them somewhat, but it improved the movement and actions, which is the single most important part of an action game so…

More like nerfed as fuck RIP. Atleast you could hold some spells though

Sure thing fangirl

Batman & Robin for PS1. It's such a fascinating game for me. It's an awful game but it got some interesting elements in it. The idea of doing detective work as batman by collecting clues in an open world sounds awesome. All the gadgets you can have in this game sound awesome on paper too. Too bad the gameplay is so bad.

I also like how the game looks. The graphics and skybox are really nice and for some reason I really like these kind of dark games set in an urban and perhaps a bit dystopian environment. Kind of reminds me of Deus Ex and VtM:B in that sense.

This game is an interesting piece of shit and definitely ahead of its time.

The Two Worlds franchise.
Trying so hard to be Elder scrolls and turns out to be even more shit. Which is an achievement on itself.

This. I actually really liked this game when I was a kid. Exploring Gotham and the Batcave on itself was amazing, everything looked incredible, but, as you say, the gameplay is simply shit. Never understood what to do anyway

It tried too hard to be Bloodborne, both mechanically and thematically; from the faster combat to the speed (and un-punishability) of healing, the removal of poise coupled with the decreased cost of dodging with even MORE I-frames, to the fact that from the moment the Abyss Watchers were introduced (whose entire raison d'etre is drinking the fire-imbued blood of a Great Wolf) – all the way until the very last DLC in which you search for the blood of the Dark Soul which grants Undead transcendental powers – the importance of imbibing "special blood with esoteric properties necessary for plot-reasons" becomes one of the central themes of the game, whereas there existed no such thing, even analogously, in either DS1 or DS2.

And lets not even touch on the whole Saints of the Deep with Aldrich (Eldritch) and the sudden idea to go past the Light/Dark cycle by ushering in an "age of the deep sea". Complete with the devouring of gods, and otherworldly dreams.

Dark Souls' appeal was dark fantasy a la Berserk, in which deities were "simply" individuals of extreme influence and (seemingly) divine powers, but mortal nonetheless, and a world which was steeped in Tolkien-esque mythological lore which reminded one of ancient Celtic/Germanic legends; a quintessential struggle between light and dark – not all of this Bloodborne shit which is more among the lines of mild religious-political intrigues, occult mysteries a la Lovecraft, and fighting abstract entities whose natures are incomprehensible to even the wisest of mortal minds. Things that care not for legends, for men, or for binary concepts like light and dark.

Everything else you've said is right but I have to stop you right here; Bloodborne you can parry heals. It actually had the best punishment for healing.

Why DS3 didn't do that is a missed opportunity especially with how often people throw daggers in pvp