The Castle Crush Glitch is the infamous game-breaking glitch in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest...

>Other side effects of the glitch may render the current save file(s) corrupt or erased after execution, as well as damaging the ROM itself possibly making it unplayable. This can happen to both the ROM file on an emulator and the physical SNES cartridge.
donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/Castle_Crush_Glitch

Jesus christ, is there any other cases of game glitches bricking games or consoles?

Other urls found in this thread:

arcadecollecting.com/dead/
donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/The_Great_Ape_War
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What was that one game where a fucking fire spell causes your PS3 to overheat?

Scetch Glitch if executed improperly in FF6 made the cart unplayable

That's called immersion.

Witch and the Hundred Knight
It's a pity because its caused by a 1bit stack overflow that wasn't present in the Japanese version and can only be fixed on a hacked PS3.
I really wanted to play through it too…

I'm pretty sure that was NISA's port of Disgaea D2

Why were SNES games so badly programmed?

I guess the old addage is true: Sega does what Nintendon't, in this case, quality code.

Please do not do that

SEGA does what Nintendon't - Go third Party

The SNES itself didn't have a lot of power, most of the fancy games were done via extensions to the catridges themselves. Of course, for 99% of consumers, they wouldn't know or care.

Basically it had a lot of hardware variants because of this, and was hard to debug, depending on the developer. Additionally, it makes emulation hard and special cased depending on the game

Eternal reminder not to trust 'localizers' and that any one who makes excuses for their incompenetence is an idiot.

Couldn't the screen transition glitch in one of the GB Zelda games do this?

Holy fuck, i don't have a proper reaction image so have this.

That's still only a handful of games like the Super FX stuff, Mode 7 games and certain Capcom titles.

Why would this imbecile even touch such a blatant otaku-pandering title if it triggers him so much?

So he can "fix" it.

Mode 7 was a native feature, not an expansion.

Making games for the master race is better than selling out to soccer mums and casual normies, you fucking nintendildo.

Uh huh

More like 'Crash and Burn'

Feels like I'm on /d/

Good thing I was talking about mode 7 and not the DSP-1 chip.

The DSP-1 chip is necessary for the Mode 7 to work, that's why the certain (if not all) flash carts can't run Mario Kart. You dense motherfucker.

Prove it. Just because Mario Kart uses the chip doesn't mean it's necessary for the graphics mode 7 that's built into the fucking hardware, you doofus.

I distincly remember a Ren & Stimpy game that was a buggy mess that bricked itself, which one was it?

What the fuck am I supposed to prove? Mario Kart and Pilotwings for example just won't work without a DSP-1, both of which use Mode 7 so it's natural to assume that at least certain M7 titles use that chip to work.

Dumbest post of the day.

F-Zero doesn't use the chip. Checkmate, retards.

It wasn't Witch and 100th. That one does quit to XMB and may fuck up progress, but that's it.
The fire spell fiasco was Disgaea D2 indeed, as mentions. An update actually fixed this particular dangerous issue, but all other bugs and crashes remain "functional".
Fucking NISA.

How does that change the fact that several titles do use it?

the dsp-1 was used to speed up mode 7 calculations to run at a more playable framerate, but it isn't required.
off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that link to the past didn't have the chip, but used mode 7 for the triforce intro.

Nice try, faggot. Just admit you were wrong.

It means DSP-1 and Mode 7 aren't a package deal, the games that do require a DSP-1 do not do so because of Mode 7 but some other reason.

It can not damage the ROM itself (and can not damage the game itself). It corrupts the sram, which causes the game to be unplayable on a cart unless you clear it by opening the cart and removing the battery for a bit. On a ROM, it will be corrupted until you delete the .srm file (the save file).
The issue is that the game is trying to pull in save data that is corrupt, causing the game to start up corrupt every time.

The incorrect use of terminology bothers me. You can't fuck the ROM. That'd imply physical damage. It just creates a save that cannot be parsed. There are plenty of games kick the bucket if they got invalid save data, but not too many have very convenient ways to cause garbage to be written into the save data.
Software-induced hardware damage is pretty fuckin' cool, though. You generally don't see that outside of older computers stuck on very tight loops, though.

It doesn't change that. It does prove that DSP-1 isn't necessary for mode 7 to work, which was the entire argument from on.

quake 3 changes the brightness of my monitor, shit's fucked yo

I picked up Dis 4 second hand before I knew about NISA. I got lucky.

From looking up videos of the glitch, the consensus seems to be that the glitch can somehow write garbage in unintended locations in the SRAM, which when checked during boot causes arbitrary code to execute and the game to not load properly. And because of that, resetting the SRAM via battery removal is enough to fix it.

In Super Metroid, if you mess around with firing the Plasma and Spazer at the same time carelessly, it is possible to wipe your save data by accident.

At least we're past the days of games changing your screen resolution and color profiles, not changing them back when they're done. Not too big of a deal if you know how to blindly change it back with the keyboard because whatever window you could change it in wouldn't fit on the screen.

That is essentially what I meant. Game expects nicely formatted data, instead it gets garbage, and there's no telling what it'd do next. Meaning you generally can't get far enough to delete it or use another save. But yeah, briefly removing the battery or deleting whatever save file your emulator of choice produces would be enough to fix it.

That is one of the more interesting glitches in the game, simply because of how limited the possibilities are in terms of not horribly crashing. The reset glitch and murder beam are neat.

Old pokemon games had various ways of fucking up your cart.

Wew thats some impressive bullshit.
How does it damage the cart and hardware?

It doesn't.

It doesn't. It writes garbage to SRAM (Static RAM, the RAM chip on the cart that is saved with battery). When the game starts up, it checks a flag at the beginning of SRAM, and if the garbage data written to SRAM indicates that there is save data, it will try to load up that save data, but get garbage, corrupting RAM on startup and giving you a mountain of glitches.
It's difficult because to clear SRAM on an actual cart, you have to pop open the cartridge and remove the battery. To clear SRAM on an emulator, you just find and delete the .srm file for the game.

Pretty much this. It could've been avoided if games like this offered a 'reset data' option *before* doing anything with the SRAM. However, many games in the SNES/GEN era with SRAM do checks right on boot because some function depends on it (e.g. Chrono Trigger directly sends you to 'active/wait' screen if there is no save data) but it is risky design.
DS games tend to offer a delete all data option in the form of 'hold buttons while starting game' systems.

And yes, this whole 'fucks up the ROM' thing is very misleading. First of all, it stands for Read Only Memory. If you ran a hash on the rom file before and after the glitch, you'll notice no difference at all.

I had a game self destruct on me once, corrupting my data. I posted online and every nigger in a 10 mile radius told me it's my fault for trying to escape pvp by turning off my console
obviously I didn't do that, I'm still mad

I wasn't and stop pretending to have the upper hand of this discussion

They do need it for Mode 7! It helps to setup the M7 faster and the more complex calculations that F-Zero doesn't use like size transitions. Basically anything too complex. Jesus Christ, this entire board is a concentrated form of dense.

You are so fucking retarded it's not even funny. You can't say "The DSP-1 chip is LITERALLY REQUIRED for mode-7", be completely blown the fuck out and disproved, and STILL claim you are right. You're changing your fucking argument because you're a little girl who can't stand the fact you were wrong about a technical detail on a nearly 30 year old fucking video game console.

Another thing, why is your ID different? I bet you're a fucking phoneposter. Reported.

God I wish

there is this thing called Ring -2 hack for all intel processors made before 2013

If games use Mode 7 without it, than that proves that you don't need it for Mode 7. Most games use it to accelerate calculations, but that's orthogonal. If you can use Mode 7 without DSP-1, then you by definition don't need DSP-1 for Mode 7.

I get where you're going, though. Those games do need DSP-1 for the effects they use, but that doesn't mean that they need DSP-1 for Mode 7, just for the full range of effects that they use in conjunction with Mode 7. There are also games that use DSP-1 without Mode 7.
If you want the full details, most of the games didn't even use the DSP-1 directly for any Mode 7 calculations, as Mode 7 just allows backround rotation and scaling, where the DSP-1 chip was used for calculations involving sprites, which aren't directly affected by Mode 7. In effect, DSP-1 isn't even touching Mode 7 at all, it's just used in conjunction with Mode 7 for specific 3D effects.

ENGAGE RIDLEY
MOTHER FUCKER

I keep trying to marry him but Nintendo won't let me

I miss code systems like that, since it effectively meant every game had built in cheatcodes.

translation pls

test

That takes me back.

Here :)

This is why I don't believe comments about killing your games is true. There are exceptions though like "suicide batteries" on certain arcade boards, which effectively brick it when it loses power.

arcadecollecting.com/dead/

ROM
Read Only Memory
I can see glitches damaging physical carts maybe by having signals fuck up data voltages, but the ROM files themselves on a PC? Bull fucking horse shit. Read only means read only. This is a big fucking [Citation Needed]
Done believe everything you read online you stupid fuck

So it's pretty much impossible to overwrite the ROM on an old cartridge, but what about on things like the DS and Switch?

Update the wiki article then

That makes no sense at all, you can't write to a ROM chip on a SNES cart. The worst that could possibly happen would be the SRAM data getting corrupted. In a worst case scenario you would have to clear the SRAM by removing the save battery from the cart for a moment and replacing it, which is a minute of so of soldering.

Was the death glitch for the Witch and the Hundred Knight ever fixed for the PS4 port? I'm fully expecting that they didn't do shit about it in classic NISA behavior.

There was this rumor about a glitch in Littlebigplanet that could either corrupt your game's data or brick your console (don't remember which). Basically if you go into the level creator and use the sponge material (or other grab-able material) to create an X-shaped object and then attach a motor bolt, set the rotation to full speed, and then grab onto it while it's spinning, the game might eventually break if you hold onto it long enough. I don't think this rumor was ever proven, all I know is that I remember hearing it from a few levels that told you about glitches.

Well, that still technically doesn't mess the ROM at all. It's *read only* after all.
What happens in these (fucking retarded, goddamn it Capcom) is that the data in ROM is encrypted from the get-go right out of the factory (trying to dump the ROM only gives garbage data to bootleggers).
The battery holds the keys to decrypt this ROM available in separate memory, and when said battery dies the keys do too, which means the game can't work because the CPU is seeing garbage data.

Thankfully, at least the CP System II encryption and security system are already broken and fully documented, so it's possible to decrypt ROMs even for boards that already lost the keys.

It's pretty badly worded indeed. It should be "this can happen on physical carts or emulated game SRAM data file".

The main game data on 3DS/DS carts is read only. Same for Vita games. There is a separate savedata writable area for carts which can be written with homebrew or stuff like Powersaves, but it's completely separate from main game data. (As for the Vita carts, some games like Muramasa have a writable part that can hold savedata, updates and DLC).
Switch is fully read-only, no game can save on cart. This coupled with the fact that the stupid system doesn't allow you to export savedata means that you can only continue your progress on the very same system you started with.

It was fixed. If you don't wanna give NISA money, buy used or get the Asia(HK) version which includes full english support, IIRC.

How was the game itself? Now that I think about the only reason I heard about the Witch and 100 Knight was because of the bug and NISA's involvement.

It looks like shit.

I can't think of any that are spectacular as the Witch and Hundred Knight PS3-bricking bug or the Castle Crash glitch, but I can think of one good tale of sheer developer stupidity.

It's no "makes your console a 300 dollar paperweight" bad, but I still think "made DRM that your own codemonkeys were unable to bypass it, therefore forcing you to have to pirate your own fucking game and distributing the crack as a patch" is bad enough to count. It's one of the closest cases of a developer being cucked by piracy ever recorded

Honestly, even if it hadn't crashed my system twice and made me too scared to play it again, I probably would have dropped it anyway. It was pretty fucking boring.

Well related to that, games released on virtual console have been found to use ROMs with copier headers and other indications that they're downloaded off the Internet. Really cute that. Also I have a copy of Future Cop for PC that was part of a bad production run, where the CD check doesn't work. DRM is just another thing to go wrong for games.

Yeah it's just that it's possible for a game to be dependent on SRAM to be in a certain state, which should never happen. It should always be clearable in case something gets scrambled.

The engage ridley mother fucker password temporarily bricks your 3ds.

Crash != brick
Retard

Didn't Missingno on Pokemon Red and Blue fuck up your gameboy cartridge? I know it fucks everything up after you save and restart.

Not really a bricking, but there was a bug in most Blizzard games where the initial menus would use 100% of your GPUs processing power, so if you left the game running on the menu you could really shorten the lifespan of your graphics card.

There should be no permanent damage that can't be fixed by clearing the SRAM, or maybe Up+Select+B. But it can definitely make your save games break depending what you do. Bad clone glitch or coin case in Pokémon Gold/Silver could do similar things.

how does that even happen? is blizzard retarded?

Fallout 4 console mods.
Many of them were PC mods uploaded for console without the creators permission and could potentially brick consoles because they used PC infrastructure.

They weren't using vsync or any sort of framerate cap, so when they are on very low CPU sections like in menus, it spins at like 400 FPS. People found that if they left themselves in a menu or anything like that for more than 10 minutes, some of them would have GPU issues. A few people even had their GPUs get completely fucked up from the heat (although it wasn't a lot of them, and I'm pretty sure they had their cards replaced).

Yes.

The Witch and 100th bug isn't that spectacular… it's just classic NISA. I'm pretty sure you've seen that image with the posts listing all of NISA's game crashing bugs - I contributed to elements of said list: Text handling issues, overflow problems, just plain WTF (how does the DD2 fire spell animation run a deadlock on the CPU causing overheating when said animation shouldn't be any different than the one in the JP version, NISA?)

I remember that Ubisoft gaffe. The most likely scenario is that they didn't wanna pay the DRM's developer for assistance, so they just resorted to downloading the crack… Hilarious.

Some games do use it to alter stuff like the opening cinematics, but there should always be an optional 'reset data' trigger before doing any savedata operations. It's just good design.

Resident Evil Mercenaries on the 3DS is an interesting case - you can't reset the data on it… And it might have been deliberate, even. With a homebrew enabled 3DS you can reset its data, though.

You can't delete the save data on the GBA port of SSF2T either.

Interesting, didn't know that one. What does it save, though? SNES/GEN SF2 had nothing to save. Just some stats?

Tales of Eternia on PSP. Despite ubisoft not having to much, if any, work on the game whatsoever, the initial prints of the game are completely broken and will always crash at a certain point in the game

It had a points counter on the main menu that accumulated more every time you beat arcade mode, beat a time challenge etc. It unlocked more game modes and two secret characters, Akuma and Shin Akuma

Perfect Dark also has a glitch that breaks the cartridge.

Ah, the N64. Some games only had in-cart save, others only Controller Pak saves, and some like PD had both.
Do N64 cart saving games have a reset data option? Probably not…

Well technically that can happen, if for example you brick your 3DS (BSoD error) but have a NAND backup that you can restore it with.

Flash-based saves are their own issue actually, where it should be a built-in feature, and a robust one that doesn't matter what the save game is.

All the ones i can think of that use the battery do, things like mischief makers and Paper Mario(which iirc is one of the few n64 games not to use the typical battery for saving)

I know for a fact at-least RE2 didn't, short of removing the battery obviously.

I'm polish and jesus christ you're retarded.

supposedly in GTA games if you cheat enough times the game''s rom shits itself and constantly glitches and freeze afterwards

Which GTA games are you talking here?
As far as disk based games go that's not really as possible. I know you can corrupt your save data from an overflow in GTA:III but that's not quite so possible.

And when I say "your save data" I mean general data on the memory card itself.
Fucking baleeted my Baldur's Gate 1 save with a level 50 Dorf

supposedly it happens with the all 3d era ones, supposedly it damages the disc data permanently

Old games had no memory protection. There was nothing to prevent things from writing data to places they shouldn't. Old systems didn't have the power to do that kind of stuff.

Missingno wrote the 'seen' or 'caught' bit to an area in memory past the pokedex data, meaning that it writes 128 or 255 to the sixth item slot amount.

'M is actually dangerous, though. If you catch a level 0 version and put it in Bill's PC, it can destroy the savefile.

The DK wiki isn't the best
donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/The_Great_Ape_War

Missingno itself only corrupts the Hall of Fame data and adds 128 items to your 6th item slot.

The other glitch pokemon and especially glitch moves are the ones than can really mess up your save forever.