Was bloom overdose the most cancerous graphics fad ever in the history of video games?

was bloom overdose the most cancerous graphics fad ever in the history of video games?

in some games its worse than others

Depth of field is worse imo. I haven't seen that implemented well ever. Having said that, i disable both in every game.

my nigga

I would post an obnoxious pic of the adoring fan from Oblivion, but I desided to spare myself of googling or reinstalling that shit. Oblivion was awful.

Have to agree. Depth of field only looks good in screenshots and sometimes videos. When you're actually playing the game it's terrible.

On the other hand, in the age of hyper-bloom on a lot of console games there was no option to disable it. I can almost always disable DoF.

At least in TP it related to the story's themes of light and darkness, but yeah it still look a bit shit.

wasnt that unique to the twilight world which was supposed to be kind of unreal?

Not by a long shot. Say hi to chromatic aberration.

I think chromatic aberration gives the game a "photo" look. Its great, especially in bloodborne. It replaces anti-aliasing in that game.

Chromatic aberration

My vote goes to the strawberry jelly shit smeared on the screen when you got shot in an FPS game. Was a staple for call of duty and battlefield I think, probably others too.

Do they still do this? I haven't played a cowadoody since 4.

Chromatic aberration right now is pretty cancerous.

It's somewhat justifiable in games with health regen, to make taking damage more punishing.

There are only a few situations where this should be standard.

That shit where the entire screen becomes way too fucking bright or way too fucking dark depending on whether you had the audacity to point your crosshairs at something with too light or dark of a hue. Fuck that. I don't completely lose my peripheral vision in real life because the waterfall I'm looking at is white.

If they were going for a losing conciousness thing they probably should have just gradually darkened your view, started at the edges of the screen converging to the center.

Stop being such a fucking faggot over nothing.

Chromatic aberration is complete shit, it make out seems out of focus and smudged.
It feels like you're playing the game on defective monitor.

Depth of field can be useful if the developers want to intentionally obscure your vision. Basicly tunnel vision when using scopes or as a penalty for super speed. Almost nobody does that though so I disable it along with bloom every time as well.

I understand the need for a visual cue when taking damage in an FPS but I feel like the devs just wanted to include more blood in the game to make it "gritty". But people don't see red jelly when they're shot, their vision would probably fade or become shaky. A game like Metro 2033, on the other hand, does exceedingly well at conveying visual and audio cues when your character is taking damage, near radiation, low on stamina, etc. You wear a gas mask and you can hear your character breathing, you can see the sweat on his goggles as well as the cracks, etc. It fits perfectly well within the setting and atmosphere of the game.

This would make more sense, maybe even widening the reticle/spread of your shot to decrease accuracy or something.

This thread is taking me back to 2007, i think most of Holla Forums is stuck in this era because they don't play anything new

Could use more bloom

anyone who appears stuck in that era is a paid shill

NOW MAKE HER BOOBS BIGGER

But you were fishing for this exact response, weren't you

no because the current era of overusing chromatic aberration is far worse.

I liked bloom only in one game. Stronghold 2. Simply because the game looked like Excalibur.
These should be avoided.

only bloom that even looks natural
is the one made from
like Ambient Lighting or/and like Diffuse Glow
not post processing shit filters

Probably, but for me, motion blur and depth of field are very close runner ups.

graphically speaking sure, but I thought the combat was better than morrowind's, come at me. And the story, while no where near as good as morrowind's, was far better than skyrim's "You have a dragon's soul, holy shit you're the most important person ever, holy shit you're all powerful. Now listen to this whiny little bitch for 10 hours and do menial tasks for old men."

it's bad but not as bad as bloom overdose.

personally I can't think of 1 situation where it would be.

yes

>>>/oven/

What's worse is when it happens in a thirdperson game, especially if the camera isn't anywhere near enough to actually get blood splattered on it. How the fuck have we gone over 15 years without a single game doing the "shit splattering on the HUD" gimmick better than Metroid Prime? It's a fucking embarrassment.

Shadow of the Colossus, Oblivion and Twilight Princess all used it and it kind of muddied the graphics.

Between being the guy with the dragon soul and the guy with the dragon soul's errand boy I prefer the first one.

M O T I O N B L U R

sotc is one of the games it really benefits.

At least you can turn it off in that game even though its on console.

Also the 'everything is browm for ultra realism' era.

How quickly people forgot the early 2000's fad of bad cel shading.

That looks good though.

Motion Blur

Some games made good use of bloom. Like shadow of the colossus would have tons of bloom in the sky which gave it this really weird vibe, like something was wrong with the place you weren't suppose to be in. Although it glitches out on emulators, going in complete overdrive and makes it completely impossible to see in the desert.

anything will be fun in certain situations.

however i cant remember an instance where i though a motion blur effect enhanced the experience in any way.

That's the fun thing - you cannot.

Motion blur helps me quickly recognize an otherwise okay game isn't worth the time playing.

jeeze. you can usually turn it off in the settings

Those post processing effects looked cool in my low spec computer. I still like motion blur in single player games.

They're cancerous in multiplayer games though, nothing but a complete disadvantage.

How can your eyes even notice something like this, mine don't.

I actually like motion blur, makes fast movements feel less choppy.

Because you might have eye cancer because that shit is all you see the first few hours of playing bloodborne. Only then do a normal human's eyes accept the punishment and start looking at the art direction rather than all the ridiculous shit it's drowning in.

That stylism actually looks endearing to an extent.

For its time yes but we have long surpassed it.

No, I'm pretty sure I turned it off..
Fuck me, I must have been thinking of some other game. Also, check out this fucking retard on Reddit because it was the first result. Turning off post processing bullshit must be a lot of work guys! I'm not entitled, please give me $40 DLC!

Maybe you're the one with the cancer? I've never even heard of this thing before nor seen it in games.

I don't see what the big deal is. It does a decent enough job of making low fidelity graphics look slightly more realistic.

The ongoing Indie pixelshit fad is worse.

I think it looks cool sometimes. Like when you access the inventory and the background is blurred but character is not.

See, that's the problem.
It's a lazy solution to something that shouldn't even be a problem in the first place.

Beyond the 2007 Prince of Persia remake or whatever it was, I haven't seen any game with cel shading before or since.

Back then bloom was pretty much the only "effect" you had and it was pure artwork how to implement it in different ways to archive different visuals styles. Similar to how mode 7 was. Kys, summerfag.

Jaggies will always be the devil

I tell you what, I'll believe that once you've tried making a good looking game with the Gamecube's whopping 3 MB of video RAM at your disposal.

/agdg/ dev here. If i ever finish a game i will include every single graphics effect mentioned in this thread and there is nothing you can do about it.

Doubtful so we're all good.

You'll never be able to do it, nodev.

I forgot to mention that, but you said it yourself.
That's the cause of our problems here today.
But why it persists to this day is a bloody mystery.

What's his fucking problem?

If

Don't forget the ugly ass filters

Jaggies aren't a fad, they're just a graphical shortcoming.

All the various methods of anti-aliasing (MSAA, SSAA, etc) are fads, or rather they were functional methods of hiding jaggies that these days are pretty much unneeded in the age of 4K and being able to eliminate jaggies on smaller resolutions just by scaling down from 4K to 1080p.

Try not being a poorfag and/or console cuck and get a decent computer so you can run games at a full 60fps. Turn off motion blur and your eyes will blur that fast movement for you, like they should. Otherwise you're retarded if you need games to simulate the decencies of the human eye.

Blooming lights everywhere even in games with pitch black environments is not realistic, it's garish and a cheap way to make your ugly ass game look better than it really is.

Good, thanks for giving me no reason to play it.

Just you wait. The age of the low poly meme is upon us.

You can stick your success and happiness recipes up your asshole.

Who said anything about 4k

The point you're missing is that bloom doesn't look good. Just give me the same graphics without the bloom.
Yeah, I'm sure. Half Life 2 tried to cover up their extremely ugly textures but don't worry I noticed even with the bloom.

Let the hipster cucks dick around with their 320x224 poly models. You know they'll be too retarded to actually be able to make anything resembling low-poly models from the PS1 era just like how they fail to replicate NES graphics.

Keep crying commiecuck. Maybe one day you'll get a job and afford to build a decent computer.

what, i'm anything but a communist.

But I kind of like it

It's a lot easier to act like a wannabe aristocrat on the Internet than to admit you wasted a lot of money on something you don't need.

Wouldn't lowpoly shit have less jaggies, not more?

AAAAAAAAAAHH

The only pleasing DoF effect I've seen was the bokeh blur in NuDoom, and it's only used for emphasis during cutscenes and weapon switching. The rest are shit for the most part.

Full screen motion blur, especially in a 30FPS game. A game camera is antithetical to a film camera, because the player has to constantly pivot it and focus on their surroundings as they turn. Tone it down, or make it per-entity and not influenced by camera motion.

Subtle application of chromatic aberration like in Alien: Isolation looks good, but even slightly overdoing it is a guaranteed emetic.

Deferred rendering. Why does it even exist anymore? For one, Forward+ already exists. Second, developers more often than just bake all the lighting anyway. Out with dithering, bring back transparency!

It takes maybe 1000-2000 USD to build a PC (including screen, keyboard etc.) that will give you 144+ fps on nearly every game imaginable. Just saving for a few months should allow the majority of westerners to get that amount.

What meme engine is that?

The worst part of HL2 in my opinion is the use of phong lighting on non normalmapped textures. Doom 3 got that right a year earlier. Fucking tiled floors are not supposed to be completely flat.

The fuck am I looking at here?

YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BRING US HOPE NOT DESTROY OUR DREAMS!

Mario Odyssey doofus.

I can see that, but what's causing the effect?

Super Mario Odyssey does some weird dithering effect for transparency. If it needs to make an object in the foreground partially transparent, you get the effect shown instead of some straight alpha blending. Almost all the transparency in the game (other than things with inherent transparency, like water) is done with dithering.

It actually looks fine in motion, but it looks pretty bizarre in static screenshots.

MGS5 did that too. I really kind of hate it.

Nah fuck you it looks cool

Sure thing poor nigger. Quit wasting your money on rocks and save up for a half-way decent GPU.

Nobody needs any video games period, so I don't know what point you're trying to make other than it's pointless to have a decent machine to play games at the best or preferred fidelity you want, which ideally would be

Could you elaborate a bit on why you dislike any AA or believe it's not optimal? I don't think I've heard anyone say this before.

Are you saying that the human eye can't see beyond 60fps anyway?

You are a rather obnoxious and pedantic fella.

AA serves a purpose, but it's more of a case of certain forms of it being phased out, like MSAA, in favor of less-resource hogging versions of it like FXAA, which used to be the worst, blurriest form of AA but now doesn't look that noticeable when applied to higher resolution images which don't have much jaggies to begin with.

I guess what I'm saying is, the higher resolutions get, the less need there is for sophisticated, intensive forms of AA and that a single pass of FXAA may only suffice. I've noticed newer games are just shipping with FXAA being the only AA option, with maybe an additional pass of it as another option

No, just if you need motion to feel less choppy, you should let your eyes do that for you instead of simulating that with motion blur. That you need motion blur to do that and that you think it looks good signifies you're playing games at a lower than optimal frame-rate.

Try >>>/reddit/ if you need a hugbox.

fucked up reply to
i suck dicks

it's up there, i especially hated bloom effects on any stage/area with lava or similar effects because it made it an even worse eyesore

But you are the one with the leddit spacing, bub.

I could think of a million better things to put that much money toward. You clearly have problems with managing funds. I can play games at what I consider acceptable graphical quality for a fraction of the cost.

And you're the communist who lashes out at people for no reason other than they have some cash and spend it on hardware. Maybe you should try >>>/tumblr/

if we count other fads lets also nominate headbob
looking at you here arma3

This is how you spot a try hard newfag, tons of these types ruined Holla Forums.

Rather pathetic that there's N64 games that simulate the effect better than modern ones.

Sorry I have a decent paying job and can save it accordingly to buy things I like. I don't know why you think that's mismanaging funds.
I mean if you're fine playing games at a resolution with blur is fine by you, whatever. Maybe if you don't mismanage your funds you could buy better hardware.

Yeah, what a shame you can't astroturf for shit >>>Holla Forums

If we're doing this I want to nominate the bleeding eyes, desaturation and other annoying similar effects when you're low on health.

Why do you keep implying that I am a commie?

Is a good indication.
Is another.

Fucking film grain. Nigga I'm playing a game not watching a god damn movie with low lighting and under-exposed footage. The stupidest shit.

You are fucking cancer.

Look kid, how the fuck am I supposed to get in on those Vietnamese boytoy cannibal parties if I don't suck up to Hollywood?

If I had a decent paying job, I sure wouldn't waste my money on incremental yet expensive graphical (((upgrades))).

DoF can be done subtly and well. I've never seen a good implementation of motion blur.

I liked it in l4d if you turned it way down to something reasonable. As a general rule it will always suck though

Fuck off, SMAA is leagues better while using barely more resources and the only reason developers implement FXAA instead is sheer laziness.

HL2's textures are blurry as fuck and look like vomit. I could tell this even when the game came out and I was still a teenager. I remember thinking to myself that they really don't look better than HL1.

You are full of shit.

I hope you aren't comparing textures in the modernized Source engine or whatever. I'm talking about at launch.

I played the game back in 2006 and the facial textures were top notch.

You cancerous disingenuous nigger, I was talking about literally every other texture in the game. I thought it was common knowledge that Valve's art team put like 90% of its effort into the characters because character animation was the "next gen" thing at the time.
Look at this shit. These textures would be right at home on a Half Life 1 map.

Everything in the doom 3 engine looked glossy and off.

If you have an LCD monitor, you cannot disable motion blur.

Don't your eyes work?

You might want to consider a GPU upgrade or turning your settings down a bit.

You really think that fence looks good?

That's more due to the terrible anti aliasing

Cel shading is much better when it's like in Strong Bad's Cool Game or Guilty Gear Xrd, that is, the outline is a darker version of the outlined object's color rather than solid black

They look fantastic for a 2004 game, that's right

But the human eye sees too fast for that to smooth out you blithering dicklicker

Pic 1 is from 1998. Pic 2 is from 2001.
Honestly half the problem is that they combined their shitty low res formatting with their disgusting "everything is shit" aesthetic. It looks neither realistic nor pleasing and it ends up just looking like puke. Tribes 1 had similar res textures but chose much more pleasing colors and Tribes 2 just has better res textures.

Before you say it, the only reason the textures look just as bad in pic 2 is because the terrain is deforming them.

HL2 has much more complex geometry.

Nice non sequitur.

WOW!~ That looks so realistic I can't believe it, it's like I'm IN THE GAME

Two words: Motion blur.

User wut?

That's because Morrowind's dice rolls were a metaphor for combat. These games are better as RPGs than as action games, and the second they started to reduce the RPG aspect for the combat is the second they sunk them. The combat was worse in that sense, and you have shit taste.

Stylized motion blur looks good. Breath of the wild is a good recent example

Chromatic aberration
Film grain
Motion blur
Depth of field

The four horsemen of poor graphic design.

DoF is bad how?

I still remember being absolutely shocking to find this stupid bullshit in a Nintendo game of all things. I kind of thought they were above meme graphic ideas like this.

Here's the game without bloom

Because your computer monitor or TV screen is not a fucking eyeball and therefore the game cannot presume to know what your eyes in real life are focusing on at any given moment.

that's Bloom user, what OP is talking about.

DoF has been done well in city builders like anno.

What were they thinking? Were they scared people might think it would look like crap compared to PS3 and 360 releases?

You nailed it.

All motion blur is shit.

Nice argument commiecuck

That's why.

Well there you go, you don't have one and as a result you're a poorfag with no disposable income. In the mean time, manage your funds and save up.

There's no such thing as "disposable income". If I ever had more money than I knew what to do with, I'd buy stocks or something.

I'd buy a private army and blow up the Holla Forums servers.

First thing I thought about. I don't know if he uses this to try to hide the mediocre quality of his art but it almost gives my a headache just by looking at it.

Given the guy in question it might actually think it looks good.

Spoken like a true poor nigger.

Bloom is exactly why Super Mario 3D World is still going to look fucking lush and gorgeous more than 20 years from now.

How much do you make? Tell us all about it.

My eyes can't take this shit

Chromatic aberration is minor. It's completely stupid just like lens flare and shit, but you can mostly ignore it if you even notice to begin with.

Bloom and Depth of Field are both horrible and hard to ignore. but at least they can be turned off a lot of the time.

My number one slot for worst "graphics fad" ever has to go to the shit and piss filters. It looks ugly, you can't ignore it, and you can't turn it off. Most of the time you can't even mod it out properly as the necessary color information is just gone.

Why the everloving fuck does this shit get added to videogames? What does it bring into the game other than make me think that my eyes are fucked up?

Well, judging from the game you're making, you're making some kind of walking simulator, so i don't care.

Gods, that looks fucking shit.

I'd say it wasn't a half bad choice.

admit it, you'd be impressed if it was a game from the 1990s. you'd play the shit out of that blurry shit and you know it.

That also smear flashy GFX on everything to make it look better. Turd polishing.

What about in Cuphead? Honestly that's the overall point to take away: Do the effects actually serve the game's aesthetic?

Half-Life 2 is from 2004. The graphics were more than acceptable for their time, and the visuals overall work. The physics were certainly novel.

They're also about as simplistic and crappy as Oblivion's combat system. The difference is that in Oblivion it actually works to the gameplay. Dice-based hitting does not.

Post a video of how the twilight areas look without it, because I'd expect them to look terrible.

Honestly the graphics of Half-Life 2 held up until like 2009 because even with 7th gen consoles, devs just couldn't help being retarded and putting the blurriest textures imaginable on the maps.

Just loaded up the retail version. Looks better than most of ther games released at that time.