Best MS-DOS games

Currently replaying Blackthorne and it's rekindling my desire to play some old DOS games with DOSbox. What are some of your favorites? I've already got the classic shooters covered through GZDOOM, source ports, and eDuke32.

Other urls found in this thread:

sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
ultima7.ultimacodex.com/exult-rotate/
amuletsandarmor.com/
mythipedia.wikia.com/wiki/Installing/Updating_Myth_II
dropbox.com/s/575zlde6g56fi92/Myth2_Install.7z
github.com/exult/exult/commit/0c658baecba369609d21611997b8f0e0075cc22c
github.com/exult/exult/commit/73ac722c2f74430e5c046a25e81f4eec5a414006
github.com/exult/exult/commit/bdcce09418c73d6d15ed176cafed6df0fa2e8c6a
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I really enjoyed the commander keen series (the later ones) and the bio menace series. Also One must fall was a cool fighting game

Easily the best

already in the queue, actually. good to see continued referral for this one, as I'd only ever given Morrowind and the more recent ES games a short and didn't like them

System Shock is often overshadowed by its sequel, but it's worth a try.

I'm currently playing through the early Rance games, they're alright. I don't think you need DOSbox to play those, though. Also, the second one isn't translated, only the 2010 remake.

Commander Keen, my dude.

Outrun
Test Drive
Double Dragon
Airborne Ranger
Winter Games (1985 originally for c64)
Leisure Suit Larry (EGA version)
Space Quest 1
Police Quest (EGA version)
Buck Rogers and the Planet of Zoom
Dune II
Commander Keen
Prince of Persia
Lemmings

Master of Magic is a great 4X game. It's more fun than any Civ after 4.

The aesthetic reminds me of Scheherazade on the NES.

Get the original Prince of Persia my man, gameplay still holds up yet it's so simple. Even the graphics hold up to a degree, those animations are so smooth.

Duke Nukem is one of the few MS-DOS games I remember from when I was a kid. I wasn't any good at it, but it was a fun enough platformer.

Dungeon Keeper? Theme Hospital? Magic Carpet 1+2? Populous?

Get a real DOS/Win9x PC my man. It's not that expensive, you won't have to deal with Dosbox's bugs and incompatibilities, and it won't set your quad core CPU on fire trying to play Ultima 6. Also play Death Rally right the fuck now.

I've beaten the shit out of it so many times, but I agree - a timeless classic.

good call, thanks!

this looks quite good. thank you!

I could never get Magic Carpet to run properly through DOSbox. I may have to resort to GOG for them. Populous is a game I have heard tons about and totally missed growing up. good recommendations!

my parents still have an old one in their basement. I may just steal that at some point and exploit that sweet sweet 10MB HDD it contains.

Honestly, still my favorite strategy game, surprised nobody has posted yet

Machiavelli the merchant prince, Hammer of the Gods and Emperor of the Fading Suns. Holistic doesn't get mentioned nearly enough

Raptor: Call of the Shadow
Hocus Pocus
Might and Magic

Lots of others

Master of Magic

Basically a fantasy Master of Orion, only better.

I've never understood why that is as SS1 is legitimately a far better game. Controls kept modern gamers away I guess.

Magic Carpet runs like a charm in Dosbox
Try Alone in the dark & Ecstatica if you like horror games, they're quite unnerving.

Ultima 7. Fantastic RPG we used to talk about on the same tier as XCOM, SS1, and SC2 but seems to have not been rediscovered by the current generation. Probably because it's such a nightmare to get to run correctly, or they attempt to use Exult which is a lost cause.

Ah, I might as well ask something since this thread is going on.
How to deal with aspect ratio with these old games in widescreen monitors/TVs?
Windowed gives off such a small window, and when I set it to fullscreen, the image is a little stretched. Is there no way to force fullscreen with black bars on the sides to maintain the aspect ratio?

I'll have to check a few more places for settings. The last time I tried, something with the mouse input wasn't working and would randomly start reversing all of the directions or something crazy. Maybe either my mouse polling rate or sensitivity was way too high.

been rocking this on OpenXCOM. solid fucking game.

oh fuck, bringing back some memories. (checked)
if you can't set it to the correct one in the program settings, I found my monitor had a setting to allow the correct aspect ratio, if requested. Once that was enabled, I haven't had a problem getting 4:3 since.

Might and Magic: Clouds of Xeen was also fantastic. I'd not bother with darkside/world, though.

what are those? Please illuminate us younger anons.

Starcon
Here, have fun: sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Descent 1 and 2

One Must Fall. Giant robots in a fighting game and stages have hazard traps. Great stuff.

Syndicate Wars was a huge disappointment as a sequel to Syndicate.

Never agreed with that sentiment. I prefer it.

The original grand theft auto is a dos game

Prince of Persia 2 is also great

Never tried Ultima 7 for long because the prospective was really unplesant. Why the fuck did they draw the entire game like that?

Keeps the easy to render/compute grid format whole adding a sense of 3-dimentional depth. Tibia was inspired by it and through that game I learned you get used to it pretty fast.

No, I mean the prospective is physically unpleasant (not super ill but not worth it). Have a similar issue with 3D PS1 games (Only PS1 format and emulation of it. Not N64/Saturn/PC versions of the same games).

And for a good reason. They are retarded. And the UI that requires you to switch between its tabs often to display relevant information.

Too familiar over the years I have played it. And too easy if you don't patch it with community patches. For example AI players have trouble with utilizing naval transports. They tend to make max size stacks consisting of nothing else than galleons, instead of splitting them into smaller ones that are actually usable.

It's so good it should probably be illegal. There's also the glut of decent to great space games. It's rare you run into one that's an outright mess. Space Rogue is one I respect quite a bit, has a lot going on and it could have gone pretty wrong or been too basic.

It is a bizarre perspective but I think Exult had or still has an mod to rotate everything 45 degrees and it makes a bit more sense visually. I never touched it because it had already grown on me.

Panzer General
Dark Sun
Dark Sun: Wake of The Ravager
Imperium Galactica
X-Com
Star General
Curse of the Azure Bonds
The entire Gold Box series actually

very nice, thanks!

Mega Man seems weird without a banging soundtrack playing

Darklands, open world RPG in the good sense of the word.

Also read the manual. It is pure gold.

it's perspective you illiterate twat

Feel free to shit on GOG, idgaf.

Have fun trying to get a decent video card for under $100.

nice collection - better than Steam

how could I forget about the Gold Box games!?

I doubt I will be going back to play these, but more good memories

best games coming through

jazz jackrabbit

Blood is fantastic. Easily the best build engine shooter.

daggerfall is awful like all TES games

did you ever play strife it is pretty neat

Strife is good but its not build engine

What's the name of the game on the third pic?

Question, is there anything wrong with using the GOG installs for most DOS games?

While realistic, I don't think it's convenient for the units to be that well camouflaged. What game is it?

Gene Wars. A forgotten Bullfrog title and a real gem.

That's Earth 2140. A very good and fun RTS. The palette isn't that bad when you play it. There's a relatively stable windows version too but it was originally a DOS title.
sequels had some acclaim but I didn't enjoy them personally
also that faux-Knopfler track on the OST

More great titles

fukken great game it's Doom engine doe

That's not how you spell point & click adventure
What is wrong with Exult?

There is a mod, but since it was not achieved in a clean manner it never got merged into Exult. You would have to compile Exult with the changes of the mod, so it's not really something practical or sustainable for development.
ultima7.ultimacodex.com/exult-rotate/
It does look pretty nice though.

Not that I would know, but it depends on the individual game. Check the GOG forums when in doubt.

What the fuck.

Why not… just play Quake?

Because it's fun as all fuck?

Chasm has more to it than just ripping off quake, though. It's basically Daikatana but good. Has a nice dismemberment system for its time too.

also

Cyberdogs/C-Dogs is pretty fun, though I only played it co-op so singleplayer might not be as fun.

Come on

The man, the legend, the Snake Logan.

did you ever try the "remake?" I couldn't quite put my finger on it but it just felt bland, even though they quite clearly tried to emulate the original in a lot of ways. For whatever reason it just felt flat and uninteresting.

Nah, fuck it. I was always sure it is shit.
Remakes try to build their hype and reputation around the great nostalgia of the original series, but in the end they just fail to deliver and are hated because they are made to bring shekels to lazy devs.

It's in my screencap, mate.
==LUDICROUS GIBS!==

Or just run a virtual machine with actual ms-dos installed in it and everything should work fine.

Preach, my dude.
One of the most underrated classics out there. Sorry for not giving a title

So how do you enjoy the Windows version?
I kinda miss the old, chaotic music
amuletsandarmor.com/

Will the lazy faggot ever implement high resolution mode? Most of my friends won't touch it because of the resolution.

It won't. The hardware is too different. The VGA card especially was a miserable pile of secrets that vidya exploited but VMs designed for business use poorly emulate.

Kill yourself.
Everything. Most of the "scripting" in U7 wasn't scripting, it was coded into the engine. So Exult had to rewrite a lot of the game, and rather than take the time to reverse engineer it, they winged it and made what they felt was similar, and often what they preferred. The result is a game where lots of things still don't work, and lots of things don't work like the original game. The project is more like a remake than an engine replacement.

Play some Myth niggers. It isn't being sold anywhere so consider it free. It's an RTT but with no stupid bullshit getting in the way. It essentially plays like those missions in RTS campaigns where you have a set pool of units and have to win the level with them. Some neat features it has are all projectiles being influenced by physics, as such you can micro to dodge projectiles, it becomes harder to hit things at range etc. There are also units which throw explosives which are incredibly fun to use.

Guide: mythipedia.wikia.com/wiki/Installing/Updating_Myth_II
Game Files: dropbox.com/s/575zlde6g56fi92/Myth2_Install.7z

Btw, so you can understand, look at their recent github commits. Almost all the NPC behavior and combat schedules aren't from the original game as they were hardcoded, and they're still trying to make something that looks&feels similar.
github.com/exult/exult/commit/0c658baecba369609d21611997b8f0e0075cc22c
github.com/exult/exult/commit/73ac722c2f74430e5c046a25e81f4eec5a414006
github.com/exult/exult/commit/bdcce09418c73d6d15ed176cafed6df0fa2e8c6a
If you'd played the real U7 and played exult, you're hit with how dead and broken the world feels because the AI was lobotomized.

Funny, It's using the same engine as commander keen 1&2

Sorcerian is the side-scrolling RPG genre at it's finest.

You fucking plebs.

Unless this makes the combat interesting instead of just watching a jumbled mess, and unless it makes me not want to strangle the interface designers to death, it doesn't really matter.

Ultima VII is a game where the hook is that you can go around in the world and just derp around: you can pick up stuff, put stuff on stuff, bake bread and so on. Once the novelty has worn off you realize that the game itself is just a glorified point & click adventure. Everything you can do simply lacks the meat to make it an interesting game of action and reaction. It's like the Minecraft of its day.

Never played it or knew anyone else that played it. imo it was a gimmick. I did play the shit out of Vette though. First OPEN WORLD driving game I can remember.

Take your meds.

Funny like a heart attack. I wish someone would remake those awful games, as DOS games. Only real problem would be having to slap the keyboard to change weapons, as without extra drivers, only two button controllers are supported. I have a bag of Sidewinders that are useless in DOS.

And by remake, I mean make them at least as properly as the million or so Mega Man fangames from the past five or so years.

Check anything made by them, you can hardly go wrong.