What are some fun old school Multiplayer Shooters that still have a healthy online life to them?

What are some fun old school Multiplayer Shooters that still have a healthy online life to them?

Other urls found in this thread:

gametracker.com/search/left4dead2/.
nquake.com/
q2s.tastyspleen.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

counter strike

yeh

Do either of the Left 4 Dead games have any life to them?

no pun intended

Preferably one not populated only by hues and ruskies.

Day of Defeat and Day of Defeat: Source. Both have plenty of European servers that are acive 24/7. Mostly Germans and French.

Half-Life and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch are pretty active but I can't say about the location of the servers. Probably many of them are far away from NA too.

Then none. Americans drop the game as soon as the next big fad comes out. Gotta stay on that bandwagon. Old games are mostly populated by Europeans and probably Turks.

downloaded it late last year and not really. There were about 4 servers that had any activity and most weren't full. It's a pretty empty game now.

It's good to hear the original DoD is still alive. It was a blast back in the day. It was also hilarious playing with Germans who'd get a little too into it.

Not sure about the servers since the majority of people nowadays play in self-hosted lobbies. GameTracker shows quite many active servers though: gametracker.com/search/left4dead2/. You can open the in-game server browser by typing 'OpenServerBrowser' in the console.

oh weird, looks like it got a surge of popularity since the last time I tried to play it, or there was something keeping me from seeing all the servers in the browser. Never mind then.

it's still one of the most played games on steam, so yes. get l4d2, it has all content from l4d1 save for one shitty survival map. there are very few community servers but these servers are always shit because they feature powertripping admins or retarded mods that destroy the experience

on top of this, there's thousands of mods available on the workshop. many of them are weebshit but there's still a shitload

Lads, let's make another CS serb.

suppose I'll ask this here as well since this has mostly become a source engine thread.

Are there any particularly good Horror or Scifi source games? All I've played is Underhell.

There are no good "horror" games, but non-"horror" games like STALKER have some very nice spooky in them.

I just wanted an excuse to post this

STALKER is one of those games that I really want to love and have tried approaching it multiple times, but I just can't get into it. The shooting feels to finicky in the early game and I find myself just not having fun. Still, I appreciate everything the game is.

Warframe

I understand this feeling.

Warframe is just gay grinding.

never heard of one, any examples?

Make your own thread you stupid twat.

only a failed one.

Just like the actual shootings, the games and mods are single-player. School Shooter: North American Tour 2012

Yes. This is multiplayer FPS thread right?
It fits.

gay

nah, fuck off to your gay meth addict thread.

Mount and Blade: Warband: Napoleonic Wars

no, it's absolutely gayer you fucking meth addict faggot, fuck off

any mods in particular that you'd recommend? I'm redownloading it.

got anymore quality gordos?

OP specified old school games which pre-dated elo/mmr grinding and lootboxes. Warframe is modern.

Does quake 3 have any players left. Cause that seems to be one of the better old arena FPS games in terms of mechanics and skill ceiling and I kind of wanna play it. I mean I guess otherwise I could just play quake 1's single player, but still.

Get all the weapons mods you want, replace each gun, there are tons of character skins too. You can download maps ingame, so no need to worry about pre-downloading custom maps.

last time I jumped on it was just me an another guy.

Does Columbine count? It was co-op.

Crossfire

My thoughts exactly.

Oh

If you're looking for the that, it's mostly been succeeded by CPMA. Unmodified Quake 3 is rather slow compared to the other games, but the amount of custom maps, mods, and previously being a popular engine gives it a lot of visibility.

faggot fucking rick and morty tshirt, glad his game failed I hate that show the amount of autism it has spawned

hmm

I think the Starseige Tribes client from HiRez site is the wrong client. But Starseige still remains the best entry in the series and idk if it's still active.
Warframe doesn't really have elo/mmr as it just puts you with anybody also going into the mission. But it is still a modern game, at least you can go fast in it if you wanted.

With full context, the previous Warframe poster implied that competitive gaming included its own form of grinding which is the elo/mmr/lootboxes thing. That post was to clarify that old games don't have that system, so the rebuttal doesn't apply to them.

Going fast however, OP used CS as a starter image, which you don't really go fast in anyways even with bhop.

Anyway, if nobody starts a SWAT 3 gamenight soon I'm going to CS every last one of you myself.

Whatever you all are on about, Tribes will always be king.

Majority of what is played in CS is de_dust(2) anyways.

THEY WERE JUST SO SATISFYING FUCK

If you want the Quake 3 experience but with players, Quake Live is probably your best option, despite being a stripped down Q3 with some QOL improvements and a balance change that fixes the railgun being 100% cancer (it's just 80% instead :^) )

If you want to actually go fast, and be able to turn properly, CPMA and Xonotic are the way to go. There's currently a general and a server for the latter, and people in the game/thread/irc will help you learn how to play properly

Gee, I sure like Spectator Simulator.

I can't think of anything more fun than spending 5 minutes watching your teammate camping or holding an angle. The next round, I get to play for around 60 seconds before I get headshotted by some Slav with 7,000 hours in the game, making me wait several minutes before I can play again.

So much fun!

nquake.com/
q2s.tastyspleen.net/
and CPMA but thats only 1v1 and pickups

git gud

Quake Live is alright, still decently populated. Too bad it's not free anymore, but at least they fixed the absolute cancer that was having weapon loadouts (seriously, what the fuck, why have loadouts in a game about grabbing and managing weapon spawns)

It still has weapon loadouts. It's just that pretty much every server has them disabled.

Oh, I hadn't seen them in so long I figured they were just removed. Nobody liked them.

Fucks' wrong with all of you? there's even a truckload more mods for this in multiplayer than Half Life itself.

People just play gay co-op mods in Doom now for the most part.

healthy is basically you turn on the game, go online, and see several populated servers.
thats not how doom multiplayer is

Speaking of CS, Nexon's Cunter-Strike Online 2 has some nice girls.
Someone made a mod for 1.6 that adds a lot of the content from CSO1 but i don't remember where to find it.

I thought Revive servers were kill.

Serious Sam still had some co-op servers alive and kicking last I checked.

Does Quake 3 count?

???
Are you retarded or do you not know Zandronum exists?

It's weekday and isn't even prime-time, what'd you expect? Also some mods use the survival gamemode even though they're lite-deathmatch types like WhoDunIt.

However, you're correct that the current state of affairs is shit. Very rarely you'll see a duel or proper doom deathmatch server nowadays.

Correction
>the other "deathmatch" server is a not even kidding disgusting megaman ERP server

Second one was meant for but fucked up selecting it and din't proofread.

I genuinely did not know they have made a CS mod with girls until someone dumped the models into Gmod, the 1st was later censored btw

The issue with Halo is that it's populated exclusively by mexicans/spanish speaking people, I played for a week and never found an english server.

There really should be an ex-Soviet neighbour state for everyone. The right amount of poor to have hundreds upon hundreds of bootlegs, an active torrenting scene and a thriving population for old games; yet not poor enough to devolve into nudist warfare and tribal genocide. I don't think Russians would be much of an issue if they spoke English.

Interesting conundrum. Multiplayer is practically dead, save for shit like complex doom survival and MM8BDM. Because of this oversaturation, nobody plays multiplayer proper. And because nobody plays multiplayer proper, they go to the aforementioned shit.

There's only 8 maps, the devs are kikes, and playing ranked means you have like a 40% chance of being matched with 3rd world shitters and 12 year olds, but it's surprisingly not terrible.

I've hosted Halo Custom Edition servers in the past for Holla Forums

The problem is my connection isn't that hot. And people here don't like Halo all that much and those that do only like H3 and onward

If you pirate CS does it let you play the regular online or are you matched up with other people who pirated it?

doom

See

CS warzone is non-steam free download and it lets you play on all servers (steam and non-steam).

Full clean rip, also comes with slowhack protection so servers can't fuck with your configs or menu.

Some do, actually. I saw an Exec+Brit10+Brit11 server that actually had quite a few people playing on it. Also, you can still see people playing on duel servers from time to time. With CTF things are a bit more complicated, because priv server is the only one that shows activity. People dropped pub CTF for some reason. Seriously, I want more people to play other modes, except coop, WDI and MM8BDM. Seriously, the most active Doom has been in recent time was when we had a gamenight. Afer that literally everyone ran away instead of, I dunno, actually staying!

CS warzone "pirate" version has the crosshairs deliberately like 5cm lower than where the guns actually shoot at to fuck over new players. Nevermind it does not have all CS1.6 functionalities for the console enabled for some reason and some other shit about resetting your config/screwing with your sentivity every other match, on singleplayer vs bots of all things.

Plus i think it may have some sorta trojan or spyware in its installer, who the fuck knows, even the argentinian ClanCO version doesn't do any of the shit that the warzone edition does and all you need to do is apply the latest cs patch on it to play online.

UT99

I don't know why, but I can never get the hang of CS:GO. I can play 1.6 just fine but something about the shooting and hitboxes in GO feel off.

too obvious

Are there any guides to gitting gud at CS? I'm having a lot of trouble getting back to the level I was on years ago.

Just play and learn. Are you playing 1.6, CSS or GO? All play pretty differently.

Recoil in GO is a lot bigger, spread with SMGs and pistols is a lot smaller while running and gunning, and the head hitboxes are also considerably smaller. In 1.6 I can deagle oneshot headshot like a hotshot but in GO it's a real no go for me. GO is a worse game and I regret spending 500 hours on it.

1.6 and GO, but after I think I'll just stick with 1.6.

SD aren't really kikes but I have played DB and it is an alright game. I don't enjoy the hitscan shitscan in the game though, if a game is a hitscan shooter then I want fast TTK like 1.6 with satisfying gunplay, not 4 hours of holding down M1.

Good move. I have played 1.6 since around 2005 or 6 and I still do from time to time. You really just need experience and time to learn 1.6 properly.
t. was first place basically all the time on 1.6 game night and shat all over the server with pure 1337 skillz.

Revive is indeed dead but there is probably some other projects. Battlefield Heroes is already playable thanks to those other projects.

Is that you, Luna? Because I remember you being the one at first place all the time.

It's Bi0nicman, I and Luna dueled quite a bit and he's a good guy and solid player, though.

Oh, you're that guy. You do play really well. I'm, on other hand, play really bad, because I didn't play 1.6 or Source in a really long while

I'm in that boat, used to play it every day as a kid and became autistically good at it… then some drama went down and I lost my computer. Didn't get another one till I was in my early 20's and by then all my skills were completely gone. Now I'm right back to where I started and dying to just about every person that crosses my path.

Makes me sad to think about how good I used to be at it and how much fun I had.

We're all pretty much in the same boat. I've stopped playing after local servers got closed in 2011\2012
t. Luna

You were even better back then? Also what kind of PC you have to have graphics like in 1st pic? Because it seems like the one who took it was playing the game on some really bad PC.
Also, where did that name came from? Just curious and something I've been meaning to ask for a while.

1.6 scene where I live is still insanely large for whatever reason. A chain of servers called Relax has been running since I started playing in '06 and it's ran a solid 10 years now. I don't play as much as I used to either but I still boot up the game every 2 months.

Barely. I'm not great player either, I suppose contrast between me and those who barely played this game at all is what made my skills look good.
Back then my biggest problems were craptop with integrated Intel video card that frequently dropped framerate below 30 the one I use for work now and a shitty mouselet.
Pics related

Strange, for some reason I thought about something else that had a character with the same name. I didn't think that it actually means Moon and a goddess that shares the name

There are about 5000000000 mods out there that replace the basic pistols with the ones from L4D1, animations and all.

Cod4 / Modern Warfare 1

The amount of active servers is declining though, but there are still occasional patches being made by the community.

Just buy CSCZ from Steam then. It comes with 3 games (4 if you include Half-Life).

Also why does CSGO's models look so fucking awful compared to its predecessors?

1.6 and Source had great T/CT models. You could pick what faction to play as.
CZ has my favorite skins, they added 1 more model to each side (Spetznaz for CT and American militia to T).

In GO, you can't choose your own character. It all depends on the map, and considering the competitive map pool, 80% of the time it's the same fucking British SAS skin. Nuke is supposed to take place in Germany, and even GO's fucking trailer shows German GSG9 CTs. Yet in-game it's the SAS for some reason. Several years has passed and they still haven't fixed such a simple mistake.

The Ts look boring and bland as fuck. On dust2 they look like hipster millenial teenagers. On train they look like hobos/bums, and on inferno they look like they dressed up for Halloween.

I'm waiting until tomorrow to pick up the whole Valve collection. I reckon there's enough old multiplayer vidya in there to make the sales price worth it.

Morrowind

Pirated can't connect to all the servers.

Quake 3 Arena
Damn near anything with Unreal in the name.

wherehence areforth the lewdseth sireman?

I just noticed, I can't see other people's custom sprays in 1.6. I can see my own just fine, but theirs look generic. Did valve remove that option like they did in L4D?

I heard that they got rid of the Muslim terrorist models.

Wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of the punk terrorists because they look like Antifa and Antifa dindu nuffin

Some absolute madman posted an uncensored version with her voices from the game included, but she speaks gookese instead of russian. She has no faceposing though. And guess what?
Her boobs jiggle even more

They were remade to fit the hitboxes better. CSS hitboxes were huge compared to the actual model. Stylistically CS1.6 is still the best.

I'm still curious about the previous addon, did the author get pozzed?

He removed the spetsnaz and russian symbols and gave her a breast reduction, so yes.
Have some more tits

Fuck off Huche.

warframe is a tps.
it's fun, but still a tps. and its pve, given OPs examples im pretty sure he's looking for a pvp game.

CZ > 1.6 > Source >>>> GO

left4dead is a dead game

What a fucking queer.

LEFT4DEAD SHOULD'VE STAYED LEFT FOR DEAD

Movie Battles 2

the handgun weapon stats are the same in eacg game, the only difference is the models

Im pretty sure their all dead

There's Fortress Forever, which tries to be oldschool but is dead as fuck. It's free though, so give it a try in your local LAN party.