Why is the rhythm game genre marketed towards/primarily played by weebs?

Why is the rhythm game genre marketed towards/primarily played by weebs?

You'd think with the massive popularity DDR had back in the day, a lot more normalfags would've gotten good and continued playing riddim gayms.

Flashing lights and simplistic gameplay against pre-defined obstacles rather than live thinking opponent.
Perfect weeb genre.

Aren't you forgetting something?
Remember the big boom of rhythm games popularized in the late 2000s? Sure, it's pretty much over now, but you can't deny that Rockband/Guitar Hero and other rhythm games with ridiculous peripherals were incredibly popular among all demographics not even a decade ago.

How bad did Rock Band 4 do.

I got GH3 and World Tour for the 360 I think. Only the lead guitar(s). I imagine a modern game would flop pretty hard. It was released at just the right time

tfw paying $0.50 at high school lunch hour to play against others on TTFAF and kicking ass (but still missing most of the notes) and the "cool kids" watch us play

vid related

Discounted on release day.

in regards to the GH/Rockband games, i have no idea why they tried a reboot of guitar hero, the game was a absolute flop at release and was half price a week later.

back at the warehouse i used to work at, one main distributor for the game got 50k units a day of the new guitar hero and yet a week after release (after christmas) there were piles of them on sale after boxing day.

Hahaha, man GH was such a joke in hindsight

This is my theory.
In order to sell a rhythm game it has to come with extra hardware. That doesn't mean you can't make a rhythm game out of a keyboard/mouse/gamepad, just that if you want to sell to more than a niche market it has to have extra hardware. DDR, Rock Band, and Guitar Hero are examples of this.
The problem is developing/manufacturing/distributing hardware for a game is more difficult than just making and selling a game, so when there's already enough risk to making and selling a game publishers are far less likely to allow it.
Meanwhile the arcade market in Japan is alive and well. Arcades are more open to non-standard controller schemes, which is great for rhythm games. These companies can make an arcade version and if it's popular enough they can begin start selling a home version with less risk.

It really bugs me that the guitar isn't in the correct tuning, makes it sound like ass

whats baffling is that they tried to reboot guitar hero as a shitty music video game with all the lame stuff you hear on the radio. They seem unwilling to try and recapture the magic of GH3

American rhythm games are 10 years dead. The market was flooded, nobody bought them, and then they all disappeared.

Everyone who wants to play a rhythm game already owns the hardware. Most people who saw Rock Band 4 probably didn't want to shell out $200 on the SAME controllers they already have, the only difference being the old ones don't work on new consoles.

Also, Guitar Hero Live is a horrible rhythm game and it deserved the horrible death it got.

Because they're all on smartphones (And/or other touchbased devices)? Seriously, look up how many rhythm games there are on the App Store.

Enjoy your ban!

I said normalfags too, you mong.
What do you want me to say, "purveyors of Japanese media"?

wouldn't that make it more accessible to normalfags?

Yes, but Asia is also obsessed with their smartphones. So, all companies who develop mobiles games (Mostly Asians anyway), typically make more "weeb" games. That's why anime has also seen a bit of a "revival" in some respects.

First post was dead on.

Would Crypt of the Necrodancer count as an exception?

Maybe the reason that rhythm games have a comparatively smaller player base than other genres has more to do with the oversaturation of Guitar Hero-clones from 2008 to 2010, rather than some typical Holla Forums reasoning like "le normalfags just have le shitty plebeian taste and can't le think for themselves with reason and logic unlike le high IQ individuals like le me".

Because most satisfying rhythm games are made in japan and most non-japan attempts just try to emulate what japan did.
The games that don't are either a simple easy entry point like Rhythm Heaven or a niche within a niche like those groove games (beat hazard, audiosurf, etc), either way any level editor will be filled with weebs in a fucking second because they don't eat or sleep.

Found your answer. Normals don't like getting good.

Because they already ran the market for regular music in the ground with countless RockBand/Guitar Hero releases and goofy brightly colored children's mock instruments.

The only ones left who still buy these games are underground music autists and weebs.

Go play chess, you pretentious fag.

Play real instruments you nigger facea

Rhytm games are all about appearance. That's why Guitar Hero became such a hit, it became a party toy that was simple to pick up and "jam" on for a while while still retaining the fun aspect of it amongst normalfags, males and females alike. But I could see the decline in parties myself, at first every other cunt had a GH game set up for any party, six months later the plastic shits were tucked away into the corner and no one really cared for them. Then you look at all the weeb style games and it's obvious they don't care about appearances there as much.

Normalfags don't like to put effort into a game and would never git gud.
Weebs dominate the rhythm game area since nips were the ones that started it up from the beginning. "weeb" music fits the genre much better than most other types of music since you'll find higher bpms along with jumpy/catchy rhythm to play to.

Because rhythm games mean that the games mostly focus on gameplay instead of graphics, and there's little to no focus on the plot, cinematics, etc.

Except that mobile rhythm games are huge with normalfags?

No real probably about it.

It goes even deeper, by the way, with older editions.

It's because you actually have to play rhythm games. You can't just sit back and watch the cutscenes while occasionally moving your character forward, or mindlessly tap on the screen a few times for something awesome to happen. Normalfag music also wouldn't work well in a game since it's all so boring and expensive to get permission for.

This. Activision tried pandering to the normalfag music crowd with the release of Band Hero, without realizing that nobody played the games for music they already recognize. Think of how many people, perhaps even yourself, were introduced to their favorite music from the games. They all had their recognizable hits, but the earlier games featured songs that were actually fun to play, instead of just being well-known.

If you could just not eat my. Mp4, thank you

Eh, it's more about memorization than reflex.

Here's your (You)

A psytrance rhythm game would be pretty neat.
And they're probably not that popular because no one really gives a fuck about how perfectly you can time a button press to weeb music.

Lots of bemanis have psytrance though.

Israel moosic gaem

Slanteyes in general cannot stop themselves pressing buttons. The first visible sign of this to non-nips was their '6 cameras around the neck' tourist look which they sported for many years until the tech got small/combined enough to be one device. Now they need MOAR fidgety click clacks.

It's not just the japs either why do you think Kim J over in Best Korea can't stop launching missiles? He sees the big shiny buttons and simply cannot resist.

I don't know how it is nowadays, but back in my day only asians played those dance-flailing games.

It's a niche genre that is either too hard for normalfags to play, or too unappealing because they just don't see the fun in it, which could either come from not having any interest in the music choice, or just disliking how "arbitrary" the rhythmn feels.
Another key aspect is having almost no story or plot, and just being as pure a game as a game can be. Normalfags dislike this for… reasons still unknown to men.

Yet PUBG is one of the most popular games ever?

1/10 not cinematic enough where are the trans characters???

Because its easy yet simple, but also comes with a social aspect. Instant goty like candy crush with guns

as a nipfag I lol'd but everybody loves to push buttons, you white folks can't resist either, I know too many dudes who spent $200 on the full set of rock band

Wasn`t clear enough, it seems.
Normalfags are much more likely to be drawn to something more set in reality, with a theme they like than to rhythm games, whose themes usually have little to do with the game itself, and are also quite broad.
You know, thinking about it now, I guess Guitar Hero started well because it had a campaign of sorts, with increasing difficulty and a very loose plot that kept the player ever so slightly hooked.
The main point here is that the player was hand-held through progression, he was always rewarded directly by getting better, seeing some small cutscene, unlocking new, harder songs. Other rhythm games usually let the player himself define his progression and rarely have any plot.

Rhythm games are the purest form of video game there is so it's natural they can achieve the highest skill ceiling. Everyone is obsessed with the idea at becoming the best so they give up when they see stuff like vid related (which isn't even that hard).

Rhythm games are the purest genre because all you do is click buttons when prompted, you can say this about any game but in rhythm games this is literally it. There is no strategy to getting better, no combos or safespots to memorize; only practice will make you better.

Either this or they're just too obscure for people to find.

You just quoted yourself, you stupid asshole.

I was adding on to my previous post. What about you dumbass? Posting something irrelevant to the thread without saging.

DDR is shit
pump it up is objectively better dance platform

I found some old DDR mats. Which games are good?

Mario Mix! Also that one with the Butterfly song.

Try Stepmania and roll out with the simfiles available on Zenius-I-Vanisher for packs with all the traditional DDR songs for each iteration. If that still even exists, cause it's been a few years since i went there.

.>>13996842
If that were true, then fighting games would mainly be a western thing but a large majority of them are made in Japan.

It revived the genre in the west and killed it by milking it so hard with shitty sequels that barely anything.

I think it's just a case of Western arcades being stupid and not adapting to shifts in markets. People walk in Japan, so you can sucker in a steady stream of pedestrians from the sidewalk. Over here you don't swing by an arcade unless you were planning on going there beforehand. American arcades just copied Japan, which didn't work because everyone zips past at 35+ MPH and won't be drawn in by your shiny new novelty game.
On top of that anyone who makes the trip to your place will get shafted by the rising prices and shrinking play times. People don't want to go out of their way to get ripped off.
Yet these places have the gall to charge 50 cents a play for games that are not only about three decades old, but have been released in countless compilations in all formats.

Except for Round 1 which is in malls. Too bad most malls are filled with the wrong demographic for rhythm games. Also the fact that malls are somewhat dying in the US. I live near 2 round 1 arcades and the machines also tend to go to shit quickly because stupid kids tear them up.

Ever played a bad map created by anyone? That's how some rhythm games feel for some people, even the well done maps. They just can't seem to grasp the rhythm. Call it stupid, but I knew plenty of people who couldn't get into rhythm games simply because they had no idea what was keeping up with what.

That's a good arguments for why journalists ignore the genre but sports games and Super Meat Boy also disregard story and focus on gameplay, don't they?

Because only autists play this godawful genre.

Normalfags never git gud at anything.

Because the kikes in the western industry bled their cattle dry

I blame osu.

These two anons know the truth.

The license hell is particularly strong with normies. The music industry is such a huge monopoly where (((they))) decide what you hear that is impossible to make a rhythm game that would sell to normies without paying impossible licenses. And even after that you are not sure to sell like with the last GH where they went full normie with licenses and didn't realize that those songs SUCKED for guitar (at least previous GH had a lot of good 70s and 80s rock that even if it is mainstream they are still good songs).

In japan sometimes the artists become famous thanks to these games, is totally the opposite. People like Ice, Xi, Sakuzyo got a lot of attentions thanks to games like Cytus and they are true genius composers that deserve it. Weebs are all about anything as long as it comes from japan, no matter if it's really famous or not, normies meanwhile NEED it to be famous and be "accepted" mainstream for them to like it.

I made a thing, Holla Forums

It's my first chart, be nice

Well that's basically a low-end roguelike that forces movement to a particular timing. I like it though, the music is good and it's perfect to play in short bursts.

Reflex will generally get you through it first go, but then it becomes memorization to max it out.

If your plan was not to get bullied, then I have bad news for you.

I'm not the composer of the song, I just helped with the chart

It also did so badly it killed the publisher, mad kats.

Wouldn't it be a problem that music right now lacks variety? Nip rhythm games will have EDM, pop, idolshit, rock/metal, a mix of genres, etc, while the Western mainstream music is mostly nigger and pop music. It WOULD be a good way to introduce people to more obscure artists, and YouTube could be a good source to find lesser-known people who have their fans, but the one investing in making these arcades or peripherals will want to have the hottest musicians, so nigger and pop music it is for the most part.

nice backpedal

This is like bully gold.
I'll start.
Faggot.

Read the description of the video. The man already has GH custom songs of his other music, this wouldn't be his first one. Also, nice Reddit spacing.

Maybe he should be more specific then?