"Best game"

What is the best game you've ever played?

You don't have to replay it often or at all. It might have been a short game or a game that demanded lots of time.You might say it was a game you had the most afinity to or involvement in rather than a game that was the most fun to play.

Crucially, I'm concerned about the quality of your experience while you were playing the game. You might play it today and think the game is total garbage. It might have aged or you might have been burned out on it. The thing is, when you first played through the game…which game can you genuinely say this about:

If you could voluntarily have your memories erased of a single game, a process that can be repeated as many times as you wish, which one would it be?

Pic related is my game but I am very interested to know yours.

kill yourself

At release, Gothic just blew me away with how detailed the world was. That was probably the first time I was fully immersed by the game itself, rather than having to use my imagination to fill in the blanks. Looking back today, Gothic 2 is better and better, but still, nothing blew me away like Gothic.

I'm actually impressed that somebody made a thread to talk about it… in some extension. It's quite a forgotten game.

Impossible for me to decide on a single one in all honesty.
Starcraft 1 is probably one of the most important games to me and arguably my most favorite despite my playtime being pretty low compared to many other games.

are you special?

The most objectively perfect game that I've played is Tetris lol Super Metroid. While a game that I have a deep love for and could jack off to would be Dark Souls

Ephemeral Phantasia for the ps2.

The perfect game

yakuza 0 is fucking up there

Kill yourself if your best game is something remotely near this generation.

user only a retard would rule out console games. Demon's Souls is easily in the top 20 all time best.

the original game on PS2 is better

Hilarious.

Digimon world 2003.

you're mixing up kiwami with zero

Shit taste

He's not mixing up shit, the first game up through 4 were way better than five and zero.

crysis 3 fite me ya fuckin nerds :)

2>0>4>5>1>3>>>>>6

that's a lot of text for a dubs thread, OP

One of these three. I can't decide which one.

Not even gonna lie.

It's Undertale.

My favourite game is… well any of the Five Nights at Freddy's saga, I couldn't just pick one! Booh! So spooky XD that was just me being random ;)

That's kind of a shit question because it excludes games where you have to git gud before it becomes really enjoyable. I love Dorf Fort, for example, but I would never choose to erase my memories of it because spending hours and hours checking the wiki every few minutes trying to figure out what the fuck I'm doing and what the fuck I'm doing wrong while slowly pecking keys because I don't have every submenu memorized before just deciding to start over because I missed something when I was laying out my fortress three hours ago is not my idea of an instant good time. The sense of accomplishment is lovely and all, but erasing those memories would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
I've lost count of how often I've replayed it

Even without mods, this is still one of the best games I have ever played. Needs to be patched, though, was a complete clusterfuck on release.

My fellow plantation worker.

consider playing more games

Haha, everytime!

Demon's Souls was niche. Dark Souls for PC brought the faggotry. Sorry you're so wounded. Bloodborne is my favorite btw. Best Community.

Right, there's never been a niche full of faggots.

Yea it's called Holla Forums. Keep bitching.

Haha, everytime!

(2) fag here. I'm right and you're wrong.

Lost Kingdoms 2.
I wish fromsoft would make a LK3 instead of more soulslike shit

Asura's wrath is my favorite anime

There are no good FPS games. The entire genre is complete fucking trash, just like ASSFAGGOTS.

There are many shooters that are objectively good.

Stalker 2 never ever :^(

World of Warcraft took up most of my time and I got the most enjoyment out of it in terms of time played and good memories as teenager/adult

Playing Pokemon Red as a kid blew my mind, trading pokemon and battling with friends, so many ppl at my school were playing it

Street Fighter is another big one

Star Control 2 I'd say. Such a labour of love and it's like crack addiction to me.

Great game. Used to play this all the time with my brother.

probably the only one who's played this
literally GOAT

ITT: we find out just how underage 90% of Holla Forums is

I suppose the stalker games aren't very good, but I've played plenty of classics like doom and quake, duke 3d and marathon (which sucked) and even a few more niche games like witchaven and powerslave. I've played all the Holla Forums-core too, like fear, crysis, and as mentioned before stalker.

I mean, the genre isn't exactly well known for producing great games. Just a lot of games. a lot of bad cinematic games. What are some good FPS games? Educate me.

owned him hard nice

What's a better 3d action-rpg metroidvania or exploration related?
King's field? Morrowind? Blade of darkness? Tecmo's deception? Carmageddon? Nox? (it's not 3d) A.I.M.? Postal 2? MnM?
Just name some. And I seriously hope you guys understand that people have innate preferences towards genres.

Generally anything that experiments with it's mechanics for the sake of fun, which usually ends up in a non-pure fps game. For example stalker isn't only a FPS. So is fear. And for example other good games are KF, L4D, SS, Arma, War of the roses (before crossbow nerf), UT, NS, SWAT, RO, Portal, Gmod, Sven coop and Obsidian conflict.

look, I'm old as fuck, probably older than most of Holla Forums – my first "console" was an atari 400 home computer and my first PC had a 386
there's nothing wrong with the best game you've ever played coming from this generation much less last generation
yeah, AAAs are shit these days but as whole games are better now than they've ever been. I could name a ton of just fucking amazing games that I've played over the years:
joust, archon, jackal, blaster master, wizardry, streets of rage, thunder force, star control 2, secret of mana, killer instinct, samurai spirits, metal slug, doom, everquest, panzer dragoon, dewprizm, final fucking fantasy 9, zelda OoT, phantasy star online, and so on
I think the "best" game I've ever played is Dark Souls.
all of my favorite games are relatively recent though; games are just better now than they were before, both for technological reasons and also because game design has evolved so that modern games are simultaneously deeper and more accessible than older games, even challenging games.
it's not a bad thing if a game teaches me how to play it. it's not a bad thing if a game has unlimited retries. so many faggots on this board have some kind of "nostalgia" for old games they probably weren't even around to play when they were new.
listen kids: old games suck and while you should appreciate them for their historical context, that doesn't make them GOOD GAMES anymore. I don't want to sit down and play Ultima or Wizardry right now and it's not about visuals or some equally facile comparison like that – it's because their game design is outmoded and tedious.

welp

maybe you're just not into FPS games. I'm not into strategy games; I've played the best of the genre and I just do not give a shit. I didn't like x-com when it was new (and I'm talking about back in the 90s here, not nu-xcom). no matter how good a strategy game is there's nothing that's going to make me enjoy it because I'm just not into the design elements. embed related had some tight-ass music though
so maybe FPS games just aren't your thing. do you like shooting? do you enjoy firearms outside of games?

I am not OP

I just really enjoy this game even if it has a lot of flaws.
Also dark souls is fun, i beat it twice but I'm not interested in doing it again.

I'm fucking blind.
But still, dks is worse than ds.
And technological scale at which games are made right now restrict them from becoming as deep as older games were. So absence of examples for the newer generation titles kinda smells fishy.

I got a reply for you but there's a timed event in my MMO so gimme a bit

Only two games have ever made me cry. First was Space Channel 5 (part 2), because I have a weird fetish for musicals, so I cry tears of joy whenever people are singing and dancing in sync.
Second was pic related. I came into it expecting a detective adventure game, and while I got it at the beginning, it seamlessly escalated to this very gritty, adult story and grand mystery where it feels like all the cases seem to interconnect in some way. No game or movie have come even close to matching that feeling for me.

Best VN ever.

bantz deployed

/thread

But why would you even want to take games on average?
The point is, earlier dev teams were smaller and general technical standards they've had to uphold to get public attentions were lower, so if some part of the dev team (a person for example) had an idea or passion they've wanted to implement they've had a higher chance of success. Now with hundreds if not thousands of people involved in the development its nigh impossible for that passion to blossom. That's why I think it's objectively right to say that ~94-04 was the best time for vidya since it was a middle ground between technological progress being low enough to not warrant of extremely large dev teams but high enough to not be overly simplistic and tedious in it's design to offer enough playtime.
High technological standards also cause less dev teams being able to uphold that standard, thus less games are being developed at that level, thus even less games have as I've stated a lesser chance of being great. Don't mind the reddit part (plz), key points are ps2>ps3>ps4 and xbox360>wii>wiiu>xbone.
To counter that point you'd need to counter me on an indie-B level scene scale which I give the possibility of being better, but will assume not proven until it is.

I have problems with your vs. examples, but for the time I'll leave them aside since I think discussing each one of them will make it harder to focus the discussion.
As of examples for games of newer generations you either pick older great games or newer good games (well there are also older good games, but for the sake of argument I'll assume it's a taste difference). The point is, I don't see newer great games. GTAV is SA of older 3d gtas (technological progress and scale increase, but dip in quality), nier seems to be a flavor of the week (which by todays is long gone), warframe probably would be great if not for it being mmo f2p practices of which drag it down to only being good. Other numbered series I'll leave for the fans to judge. And
come on, m8.

this is a popular sentiment but as I addressed before I don't really think it holds up; the kinds of games those smaller teams were developing would be considered indie or at best A-list games (not AA or AAA) by modern standards, and this holds up whatever metric you choose to use to compare them by

so yeah, smaller dev teams produce smaller games and that's still true today, except that what you can get out of one or two people these days is so much more than you could back then; even a relatively simple game like an NES game would have a team of 6-10 people working on it at least, whereas now we have games like Axiom Verge, Vagante, 20XX, and other titles that are made by literally one or two people, and are so much more complex and deeper than anything in their genre that came out – well, before the optical media era to be sure.

you can't really compare the small team at Id that made Doom to the 500-person sweatshops that produce modern AAA games, by any measure Doom has been wildly successful in the 24 years since its release but looking at the content, looking at the quality of the game, looking at everything about it, if it came out now it would be an indie or B-list title at best. so saying "games are more difficult to make now, which is why games have less passion" is simply false; it's a false equivalency.

"games have less passion" is also false, by the way. it's the kind of observation that comes from incorrectly equating the biggest games of now with the biggest games of yesteryear, which doesn't make sense for the same reasons I just explained; the market is so much bigger now that we have games on a level (in terms of funding/effort) that didn't even exist before last generation.

to be clear, my original argument was that people who insist games are all shit now and that older games were better are just deluding themselves. there's no evidence for this viewpoint and a mountain against it. it's just blatant nihilism, or perhaps trolling, or possibly just an extreme failure of perspective. in any case it's wrong.

and rage is a fucking good game but apparently I don't have any screenshots of it somehow so take a picture of another good game

Morrowind isn't an action-rpg.

patrician taste my friend

pick one

no

I like many of the FPS games I listed in that post, and more I didn't list. I'm just not impressed with the genre as of late.

It's a 30 minute game for me but it just plays really nice. Last Raven is objectively better but life isn't that simple.

Exactly my point.
Sure, but they would take several years to make and there are actually aren't that many madmen that would do this to themselves. Also, I'm not implying NES, it's too obsolete at this point. Late DOS, Windows 95-xp, late ps1, ps2, maybe xbox huge and gamecube.
It's not an observation, it's common sense. The larger and more complex the development is, the less affect a single persons ambitions have on the project, more over it would be harder to direct the development process to accommodate for "in the moment changes" making this discouraging.
Exception is the producing, planning and head departments which are rarely concerned about the great vidya since the goal they are pursuing is company's sustainability, creativity chaos is not sustainable it's always a gamble.
No, I'm saying that great games are harder to come by. The point is, in earlier generations top teams were a dozen of people and those teams got all the budget the era had to offer. Sure, by today's standarts they would be B-A teams, but those can produce the best products in my opinion. And since they were the only types of teams that could produce sustainable projects on the marketplace (indies had close to no public reach or access to big distribution tools, except for devs in japan), those generations had the most chance to produce great games and they did.

Sure, I don't contest the point. Starting from NES and not ending with (((current year))) classics and just great games were and are produced.
To be clear current HW and SW has the best potential for making the deepest games there could've ever been produced, but there is a problem. Bigger teams now aren't concerned with doing those and smaller teams are just too small to monopolize on the resources, to pump these games out fast enough to outdo older generations or even just finish them in the first place (since most of the time those are just passion projects and passion is inconsistent). There is just not enough average sized teams to create great vidya in amounts they did in older generations. And those teams that are there half of the time(or more) are remnants of the previously existing teams.
However, with the accessibility of steam publishing there might be a rise, but results just aren't here yet.
But there is also a point that early access favors cashing in on ideas instead of polishing and finishing existing products.

To offer an alternative statement, there is comparatively to older gens a fuckload of good games, making them comparatively to each other average, making great games harder to achieve. But that is not my main statement I'm trying to prove, just another approach to stating how you could be wrong.
Sure, you could say that "but the good games are still great games if we compare them to older ones", but there wasn't as many good games then, thus the contrast was more clear and the jump and thus the difference in experience was bigger. And older good games and obsolete great games that downgraded into the good ones, now have piled up with times creating an even bigger oversaturation problem. Thus if one were to pick a game today he by default has a lower chance of picking a miles better game than he played previously. If they experienced the jump and now can't grasp it, you have no ground for judging them for complaining about it. You can only recommend them to either experiment with new genres or to just deal with it.
gud taste bruh :^^^))))

You've missed the point.

of all the bideo gams I've played, lost planet 2 is technically the best

How is lost planet 3? Is that game good too?

you know the answer

it was painfully boring at best
the one good thing I could say is that I recall you being able to upload your own music to your robot's radio so if you wanted to murder giant bugs with girls' generation blasting you were free to do so but it really isn't worth the hassle of LP3

Really one of these. Chrono Trigger is far from perfect and I didn't even complete it due to my save file getting wiped, but it was the most engaging game I've played. Chaos Theory excels in virtually every category, but I don't have the connection to it like I do with Chrono Trigger. I've only recently played F.E.A.R., but it was the first time in a long while that I had fun playing video games.

Super Metroid, by no means a perfect game but something I enjoyed a lot as a kid and again in high school

Man I got really excited when I heard the servers for Demon's Souls was going down in Feb because I assumed that a bunch of people would go back just to play it but seriously I only have seen about 10 people tops in the past 2 weeks. Oh well.

Oh yeah, the best game? Ah, that's kind of tough. Probably Darklands. After 20 something years I'm still playing it and enjoying it more than most of the modern shit.

Lost Planet 1 is literally a bitch to run on Windows 7, never mind that you don't need to actually kill anything to beat most of it.

lost planet 2, however, offers the greatest co-op experience known to man

And putting off Sonic Generations and Dark Souls for 5 years I've realized they're both subpar games lauded since everything else released around those times was complete shit and that they got PC ports. Dark Souls 2 and 3 are even worse than 1. Demons Souls is the only one that feels consistent quality-wise.

The closest to flawless I've played.
I struggle to find flaws with it.

Pros:
The art direction is fantastic.
The characters are all likable and interesting.
The story is gripping on every route.
Speaking of which, the game has routes which not only focus on entirely different stories but even focus on different core gameplay mechanics.
Gameplay is divided into several parts of engaging in battles, unit management, dungeon crawling, dueling, and brisking through story and character development so that no part grows stale.
It has sex and the sex is fucking great.
The music is fucking great, too.
One of the most interesting protagonists of any series.
Gameplay is tough but rewarding.
Replay value is absurd, necessitating multiple playthroughs to explore each route and each character's event scenes.

Cons:
Sudden duels you're not prepared for kinda suck.
Save scumming.
Foot soldiers are broken.
Fuck Xavier's AoE attack.
Can't fuck the fox.

I agree completely. What makes a good game is how well it marries all of its elements into a coherent design that's enjoyable to play, where each element is properly placed to contribute to the experience and enhance it. I would personally differ from your statement that games are better now than before to clarify that it's mostly Japanese games and games from people who grew up with the medium. The Western AAA industry is worse than it's ever been in many regards, with DLC and microtransactions and lootboxes everywhere you look. All things that undoubtedly detract from enjoyment rather than enhance it, making them outright bad games.

I'd also say that, although good games are in greater abundance, I do find that it detracts a bit from their appeal. Games feel less special now than they used to, because they are so plentiful and mainstream in a way they weren't 10-20 years ago. Back then, it seemed more that a good game could be recognized no matter the genre, due to the medium itself finding its footing and constantly progressing. It's amazing to look back on how gaming evolved with technology and consider that the gap between the original Super Mario Bros. and the fully 3D revolutionary game that was Super Mario 64 was only 10 years. Then consider games that came out in 2007, and compare them to today. There simply isn't that level of progression anymore, and landmark games of that nature simply don't exist on that scale. Perhaps gaming feels established, and less cutting-edge, in a sense.

Dark Souls is a landmark game I think (and Demon's Souls, though it didn't fully get the recognition it deserved), but not in the way past landmark titles were for the industry. It's in a more subtle way, is it's a game that shows how to do subtlety in gaming right. It's shown how to tell a story in a way that relies on player discovery and interaction instead of borrowing storytelling techniques from film, while intertwining that seamlessly with the level design itself, leading to an entirely cohesive world that feels completely believable by its own rules. I don't think that had been accomplished quite to that degree in such a natural way, through accute attention to detail, though plenty of games prior created believable worlds through cinematics or lore. In Dark Souls, the environment itself tells the story as the player interacts with it, cutting the need for cutscenes entirely and relaying the story in a way that is completely distinct to the medium.

As for the thread topic, my "best game" is either Dark Souls, Super Metroid, or Ocarina of Time, though I acknowledge the latter is mostly due to nostalgia and experiencing it at the time when there was nothing else like it.

I'm currently playing trough the whole series.
Finished the first(classic) and second(remake, unfortunately the only one translated I could find) ones, started the third a few moments ago.
It's already much better than the second one, even remade, the battle system was still too barebones to be engaging at all and having to rest after every fight was retarded as fuck.
All nice games with cool story, characters and interesting old-school gameplay, tough.
One day, I'll reach Sengoku, one day…

Pretty sure I made this post yesterday. Did my post get removed or was this thread remade?

Sengoku Rance is a departure from the series, particularly in terms of gameplay. It's one of the reasons it's not just called Rance VII.
If you start to get sick of the dungeon crawler formula of the other Rance games, I'd suggest skipping ahead to Sengoku Rance to refresh yourself.
Or you could play Big Bang Age, which is the proto-Sengoku Rance and has a much steeper learning curve, higher difficulty, and more mechanics to struggle with than you can shake a stick at. It also has such absurd replay value that I'm more often tempted to put its terrifying list of character clears into the Cons section of the game because it takes an absurd amount of playthroughs to see all of the content in the game.

I don't know about "best", but if i think "what game makes me remember the most fun?", I think it's honestly this, despite all its flaws. It was fucking fun. I played it a lot online on the PS2 where people liked to crash others PS2's by designing bugged maps and using gameshark hacks. That doesn't sound fun, but you had to be part of it to understand it.

I said Demons Souls was better you fucking retard.

for what reason did you make me do this?

I once made a lengthy post about how PSO2 is the best fucking game I played in 20 years despite being f2p, but I didn't save it.
Long story short it does everything I like just right, it doesn't do anything I don't like, has all the cool twists and cliches without bad ones and has fairly decent monetary model.

I'm well aware that Holla Forums is allergic to it, but this game deserves all my love.

or did somebody finally made a proper decensor patch like they did for Fate/Stay Night?

Deus Ex for me, though Suikoden 1+2 and YUNO come close.

I think I like 4's combat slightly more but I've just had a lot more fun DMC3

fallout new vegas , by far
it isnt perfect , the graphics suck(im not a graphics fag so i dont mind though)
ive played it for aroud 400 hours and iits almost as crisp as when i begun
2nd place would be snake eater , mostly for nostalgia and for its sheer fun value

DMC4 certainly has it's positives, like style switching, but DMC3 is pretty much a stronger game in all aspects. Even DMC3's combat can be seen as better in some ways since it has More weapons, the styles are a little more in depth then in 4, and it has crazy combos.

This is mostly from the fact that DMC3 wasn't rushed where DMC4 was.
I really hope a DMC5 that isn't rushed happens, because given proper care it would be the best action game ever.

Same.

I'd struggle to name a specific favorite game but fuck I love the Patapon games, there's nothing quite like them and the combination of rhythm game+god game works so well somehow.

This game blew my mind when I was younger, and as an adult, I still play it. The fishing is comfy as fuck, the world is somewhere I wouldn't mind living, the music if fantastic, I just really enjoy it.

There have been a ton of leaks and rumors and shit over the last year or 2, but really the only thing that matters is Itsuno's game. Even without the rumors I'm pretty sure it's going to be DMC5.

Fucking a then

I'm still salty that people mourn Ascend because of some "speed cap" when Ascend was already speed capped on release. I don't give a shit what HiRez did to Ascend, I give a shit that HiRez put out the equivalent of DmC for Tribes; that is what I mean to say is HiRez took a big shit on people who liked Tribes with the original version of Ascend.

Either Shores of Hazeron or Project Reality.

Shores of Hazeron is basically everything I've ever wanted in a game, and it would be absolutely perfect if it weren't for the very small playerbase and horrible performance issues. Basically it's a MMO City builder 4X FPS with near KSP flight mechanics to get to other planets and moons to colonize, which you need to get as they have special resources to build necessary buildings. As you get more advanced, you can build space ships which you first have to fly manually but later can get AI to automatically fly for you. The way the spawns work is that you are spawned in a random corner of a very very large galaxy, and by scouting you can sometimes come across other players or the wreckage of their civilizations. If you ever do find another player, you can stay peaceful, or use your AI to wage interstellar war with them. All the planets are unique, and there is a rare chance of finding a halo-disk thing like in the game Halo where you can do some neat stuff but I don't remember. I played it all of the summer of 2015 and loved it, but I stopped playing because it's 5 dollars a month and also it could drop to very low FPS, which was annoying (the FPS thing could be fixed by now, I have no idea). The most amazing thing about this game was that it had been developed by one guy who you could tell had a real passion for making the game, and he was retired or something so most of his spare time went into developing new features and maintaining the servers.

All in all it was an amazing game that was mired by a few probably fixable performance issues.

While Shores of Hazeron is very niche, most people here know about Project Reality. I liked that game a lot just because of the environment of teamwork that is almost impossible to get anywhere else without being friends with your teammates. Also, the servers were 100 people, or 50v50, so there was always something cool going on. Aside from this, there are many different mechanics in the game to learn, so that means that you can play the game many times and then find something new to like.

This ended up longer than I thought it would, but these are probably my two favorite games.

jesus christ what is happening to this board

shitting on Demon's Souls of all things? I understand Dark Souls, but DeS?

Even if it was bait, like what's the fucking point behind pretending to be retarded?

These two are candidates, as are Dominions 4, Mount and Blade: Warband, and Civilization IV with the Fall from Heaven II mod.

I honestly couldn't decide.

My biggest memories of this game was helping a friend with various server projects. Madman coded a PvE mode, a PvP RPG thing and an RTS mod ala Empires. Also the community for Tribes & Tribes 2 are still active.

A truly wonderful journey

Oh I remember that PvE map man. Everyone always died a quarter of the way in for some reason.

Must not be forgotten.

In action RPGs the player's actions are more important than the character. In Morrowind you can whiff point blank attacks ten times in a row no matter how well you aim them because the character's skills and stamina are too low.

I don't think stuff like dice roll "misses" would disqualify it from being an action game. The way it is implemented there is just really poor and make the game a shittier action rpg, though.

Thank you for your input. It is so valuable.

I played it too user-kun. It was just an average kirby game.

Throw some more dumb labels on it, maybe that'll make it unique and good.

Oh God, there's just so many…

If I had to narrow it down to just one though, I'd probably have to go with Okami. That game just struck so many positive notes with me. The colorful graphics, the unique artstyle, the humor, the characters, the combat, the enemy design, the exploration, the minigames, the magic painting system that was so open and rewarding to experiment with… It was all so amazing, and I can't think of a single part of it I didn't like, except for that one wall asshole. You all know what I'm talking about.

Oh right, and I guess that the story kind of falls apart after you beat that dragon guy but that's a pretty minor gripe.

OMG i love old school shooterz such as DuuDe and Metal Tourneyman 3k. i just hit so many skill ceilings all day im so fuckin hard news, ask your whore mom

i read that and thought of twisted metal
OP my submission is Twisted Metal

Diablo II, no question
I've been like 13 years playing this shit, and with mods, I'll keep doing it save me

There are some pretty good hacks for Super Metroid, user. Give "Hyper Metroid" or "Super Metroid Arcade" a go (I've spent many hours on Arcade runs, this shit's addictive). There are some other good ones like "Super Metroid Zero Mission", "Phazon Hack" and "Super Metroid Redesign", but I haven't played those yet.