How is possible for literal autists nerds do literal magic with less than 1MB of space yet AAA devs can't even do...

How is possible for literal autists nerds do literal magic with less than 1MB of space yet AAA devs can't even do mediocre shit with literal supercomputers we have now and games need terabytes of data now?

Other urls found in this thread:

shadertoy.com/view/ld3Gz2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Games (software) in the past had actual hardware restrictions. They had to run on an under xMhz processor using under xKB of RAM and fit on fewer than 10 floppy discs. That required intelligence (read: being white) and creative programming. Now games are made by AA diversity illegal invader hires, whether domestically or in foreign countries. No effort is made to make them run well, both because the coders aren’t smart enough to do it and because the devs don’t give a shit since people can just buy another hard drive or a new CPU.

Because comparing a 5 minute CGI clip to a AAA video game or, in fact, any game, is totally valid.

OP, next time you post a thread, please don't be a fucking retard. AAA devs are assholes nowadays, but even back in the day games weren't some super-well-optimized piece of wizardry.

don't forget the nips

This is a demo.
1. this isn't a game e.g don't need to bother with collision, HUD, player models. For their scene, they can focus entirely on rendering.
2. they heavily use procedural generation for everything including meshes, and textures
3. for procedural generation, they can use the shaders and primitives that comes with the graphics API instead of using models
4. the additional load time even though it doesn't have any files to load from the file system is impractical for video games
5. they have a custom linker that compresses executables to kilobytes that is Windows only (no PS4, Wii, Xbox)

For the demo in particular, notice it's planets (spheres) and liquids.

Some of these literal autistic nerds do make video games or have jobs in the industry. IIRC a lot of 80s demoscene programmers work at DICE. Conspiracy (the Hungarian group) made a mech MMO.

newfags please get the fuck out and stay out

Being educated and passionate.
Now you truly realize modern devs are hacks

I think this is the real issue. Back in the day a company was a couple of guys making vidya because they like it. Now it's just suits who dictate to the programmers to make whatever will make the most money. Nobody cares about what they are working on.

I think it has more to do with that if you are good at what you do you aren't wasting your skills making videogames/shitposting on twitter (because it's part of the job now). You have a better job that is paid more.

No because even nonvidya software and hardware is all junk now. They may be more skilled than video game developers but that's not exactly a high hurdle.

???

A complex website and a AA Unity game are about the same difficulty.

"you and your crew ain't nothing but lamers, quit the scene, go home and be gamers"

Security and data integrity is no simple matter.. but unfortunately not a lot of webdevs care or even know about it.

this

and this

Even disregarding what you posted is a tech demo.
The issue is that shithole unions ensure the shittiest faggot artists get put into working on most of the art assets for a game and they cheap out on the development team or give the artists too much creative freedom and aren't told, "This rock texture doesn't need to take up 40MB you faggot retard. Compress it"
Alternatively they ship the game unfinished but still able to pass cert testing (Because it literally doesn't exist anymore for any system) and get their Day one patch of the rest of the games content.

Further more and most importantly
AUTISTS ARE USUALLY WORKING ON COMPLETE FUCKING POTATOS OF COMPUTERS, IT HAS TO BE POTATO FRIENDLY FOR IT TO WORK
HIGH END DEVELOPMENT KITS ARE THE LITERAL WORST FUCKING THING EVER BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS SKIMP ON COMPRESSION AND OPTIMIZATION
YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GIVE A DEVELOPER A WORKSTATION WITH 12TB OF DATA TO WORK WITH? THEY FILL UP 4 OF IT, COMPLAIN THAT IT'S GETTING SLOW AND THEY BARELY SQUEEZE IT DOWN TO 50GB

It takes a special kind of retard to compare vidya and demoscene.

Pick one. (Voice actors don't count.)

If the problems facing these teams were so simple to solve, they wouldn't be problems in the first place.

Never underestimate the depths of laziness.

Art assets are usually made extremely high res as merchandise, trailers, and marketing need it. In-game textures get squeezed until the game fits the target, but it doesn't take much dev time to twist that knob.

While I am willing to admit there are some exceptions (HALO 5 and MCC having duplicate Localization audio to pad out data) I am unconvinced that the knob is being twisted whatsoever with the incredibly sorry state of game file size to content.

It is. I do gamedev and the AA I'm working on right now has an art repository of 2TiB and from that builds a game of about 20GiB. There's a huge amount of quality lost between our posters that use the source art and our in-game models due to the downscaling.

Actually, they were. Kids from the demoscene moved on, got hired by game companies, and wrote games for Amiga and Genesis systems. They were pretty well optimized. They used tricks and hacks learned from abusing the hardware while in the demoscene.

Now, showcasing the hardware and cool algorithms and technology is pushed aside. We have blowhards with masters degrees in art giving artistic direction in video games. No real working knowledge of the technology. No understanding of say, sphere tracing or Perlin noise. No background in chaotic dynamic systems. No idea what a fractal really is. Fully indoctrinated into the tumblrtard culture.

The point the OP is making is 100% valid. AAA studios are run by MBAs and Art school faggots. This is what you get.

This probably going to come across as being a dick, but how much game are you actually getting for that 20GiB?

I was watching this video and now feel sorry about games.

As to the question of how they actually fit something like this into 64 kilobytes (quite a bit less than 1MB actually…).

1. Sphere Tracing aka Distance Fields. Please google Inigo Quilez and/or visit ShaderToy.
2. Procedural Generation of all textures. Random and semi-random noise functions (Perlin and similar). Voronoi. Fractals. In short: Mathematics nigger, do you speak it?
3. Assembly language. Rust fags BTFO.

Are you seriously defending this shit when there are literally hoards of user-made mods and patches to fix and improve game performance, and repacks to reduce download size?
You're a retard

Quite a bit. People seem to get about 50 hours out of it which is considered too much and we're looking to reduce it (I don't agree with that, but whatever).

That's less than my Neverwinter Nights customs. And those take up like 7GB and are (nearly) fully voiced

I don't see a problem. People like graffix, we get a lot of praise for ours, and it's on the small side of size for an AA today. Game install sizes should be much larger today (inb4 shill), what stopped the growth was broadband not improving while distribution went digital.

so, literal magic, like he said then?

With an attitude like that I'm almost glad the protections from selective throttling are getting nuked along the regulatory bullshit designed to keep competitors from getting started

In the '90s everything doubled roughly each year. I miss that pace of progress, and I don't agree that we should be happy that we're still at the same 50GiB install size we've had for 5 years.

ENOUGH

A lot of Scandinavian developers did, which is not surprising given that's where the demoscene is mostly active. Remedy and Starbreeze come to mind.

criminally unchecked

I can tell you've never done software work in your entire life, fam.

Nips are pajeet-tier progammers

You really don't have any idea what you're talking about do you?

I don't give a shit stop using up so much goddamn space on fucking nothing
There's no reason a game that is 100GB (after patches) should be able to be burned through all of the content (Not including custom content) in like 5 hours.

And it's not even that visually interesting

You don't need to be good at anything to be an AAA dev, but you sure as shit need to know what you're doing to produce demoscene stuff.

I'll tell you why OP, and the answer is from John Carmack himself. In one of his Quakecon talks someone asks him about using procedural generation techniques of the demoscene, and he replies that it's just a different form of compression. The trade off you make with proc gen is very complex code for memory. You trade straightforward art assets leveraged by relatively simple code and the disk space to store them for having your artwork be a shitload of nonobvious constants and transformations in the code which takes up little disk space. With teams the size of a large videogame it's much more practical to keep the code simpler and the art asset pipeline obvious and straightforward.

In other words, most artists could quickly draw you a fairly realistic rock texture and shit out a rock polygon to plaster it on, but very few artists or programmers can procedurally generate a rock model and texture and when they did it would be immediately opaque to everyone but themselves how to modify it although it would take up much less disk space.

How is it possible that our education has regressed so much that you put "literal" in your OP 3 times?

That's funny but not accurate, and it's not just developers involved in making a game.

not a native speaker, explain.

There's also the matter of the CPU cost of procedural generation, "decompressing" a procedural asset can take much more time than loading a model, which makes it impractical in scenes that have lots of different assets in theme. Most scenes can't just be a couple spherical planets with some rocks or repetitive buildings, so they won't work well with procedural generation.

I think the main practical use of this is if there is a model that must have an arbitrary amount of detail, in which case raymarching would be a good choice for it. Here's a beautiful example of raymarching a model: shadertoy.com/view/ld3Gz2

Of course this is pretty performance heavy to render, not just generate.

This. Pokemon and Final Fantasy had some hilarious bugs.

Nah, they're hacks. I'm a professional programmer and I do game related shit for my personal projects. The way that procedurally generating models works is that you generate a matrix of verticies to map the polygon out and then you tell the renderer to draw edges in a certain order. If any programmer tells you that he doesn't understand matrix mathematics, he's under-educated and unqualified. They're just too lazy and inept to try to tackle that icky stuff they did in sophomore year of college again, or they came from India and their shitty college didn't teach them linear algebra. It's even more stupid when you realize they would be coding these matrix operations on a computer, which does the hard part (and believe me there is a fuck load of number crunching that goes into matrix math) for you so you only need to understand it on a conceptual level.

More important than bugs is stuff that is just bad form like anything being frame dependent. Games that need 30/60 locks are all because they don't figure to add * GetFrameTime() or something similar into any equation that is based on timing. Its a trivial solution to a massively widespread problem in Japanese games.

It's easy to come up with solutions that don't involve turning your CPU white-hot by strategically deciding what should be piped in as a prefab asset and what should be generated.

hey Holla Forums

SPAGHETTI CODE TOSSED 1000 TIMES
GLORIOUS NIPPON CODE

niggah, you mean to say any console ever… not only japanese

Yes but in practice most assets wont be procedural, only a couple at best. Loading screens generally have little for the CPU to do since its mostly waiting on the hard drive, so that would be a good time to procedurally generate some of the models. Foliage would be a good example since its usually procedural anyways.

With consoles the problem is that they have limited performance and can't run games significantly above their cap, which is why they're capped. I haven't played a lot of western PC ports of games originally made for console but I haven't encountered many that have the framerate hardcoded into logic. They do exist, just not as prevalently.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's laziness that stems from their shitty work schedules. Also, in engineering there tends to be an attitude of "Never change this methodology unless we absolutely must because we know it works now" because people are afraid of expending effort to ensure that code works. It's most baffling when they do it in games they know will be ported to PC, like Dark Souls 2's durability bug.

When resources are limited, you must be very efficient when using them. When they're abundant you can just do whatever the fuck. The same applied to the real world too, in the past shit was made to last, was designed to that it could be fixed, etc. Now it's complete shit and is designed to be thrown away after it breaks or you get the new model of singing fish or some shit.

Things aren't just being designed to be thrown away when they break, they are being designed to break at a specific point. Smart phones heavily suffer from this. A phone at the end of its planned life span starts getting (((updates))) that start slowing down your phone and running the battery harder to drain it faster, or the phone's OS is simply designed to do it. It was annoying to watch my phone start chugging on the most simple of tasks that it used to breeze through, my battery life that was days, became hours. Companies have gone full kike mode.

ftfy

Proofs?

user, where is the lie?

Average game dev career lasts ~5 years AFAIR which comes down to 1 AAA dev cycle. Those who stay are either passionate or hacks who can't escape the game dev ghetto.