Games too good for their own premise

What are some outrageous titles you've played that are way too good for whatever plot/budget/console/gameplay mechanic they have?
My own pick is the licensed games on the PS1, particularly those using the Bugs Bunny Lost in Time engine. I don't know how the hell they managed to make cartoon shading without the technology to do so, but the sunuvabitches did that. Also I really enjoyed Pepsiman just to watch the cutscenes (I've even heard that the actor making them was asked to act as bad as possible on purpose by the Japanese devs trying to capture the meriga spirit).

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/ASlyy
games.greggman.com/game/programming_m_c__kids/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All of Infogrames Looney Tunes games were amazing.

The NES McDonald's game. I remember when advertising games like these had actual effort put into them.

Mcdonald's had a game made by freaking Treasure and its damn good.

a free promotional game that you got in a box of cereal was better than a large portion of the games for sale by big studios at the time

I hear that people are irrationally devout to this. Is it just THAT good of a Doom Wad or is it because it's an example of how to make a good licensed game AND distribute it in a way that makes you want to buy the product?

It's a meme, lad. The game is actually awful.

No it isn't, that is like saying that Doom is awful.

None of the faggots ITT have any idea that sheep dog n wolf was the best early Mrtal Gear Solid clone of its time

No. Have you actually fucking played it? It's novel, that's it.

I have played all the Chex games and they are OK. Also

Ayy, you know you've lost when you (incorrectly) sperg out on my choice of words. It's a bottom-tier meme game, nothing more.

Oh Bugs Bunny: Lost In Time was my childhood right there, thank you for reminding me of such games!

Oh so you are one of those.

Not an argument, kiddo. Let me guess, you like Marathon too, don't you?

I like Marathon, you like cock.

He's just baiting at this point.

Being right != baiting, but you redditors wouldn't know the difference. Shame you can't just downvote opinions that you dislike and make them disappear, isn't it?

As for a game that is, at the core, fantastic, but is dragged down to the point of nigh unplayability due to hardware limitations, pic very related.

I wouldn't say THAT good, but for a free game from a cereal box, it has some good cartoonish textures and pretty well thought-out (for the time) "real" areas like a museum or lab. It's super-easy, but it's for kids.

looking at screenshots of the game, it doesn't look like "toon shading" but a lot of smart usage of flat shaded polygons and a vertex lighting model that compliments it by making the scenes bright with a low lighting contrast. It's not using any kind of special tricks, just using the available hardware to create the same kind of look and feel.

Probably helps that the devs (the lead artist in particular) made a few more episodes over the years. That and a remake's in the works.

At least until a week ago.

Have you?

That's the incredible thing about imageboards, "user". I don't need to abide by your arbitrary distinctions of what is or isn't "reasonable". Now if you want to play by your own rules, convince me that chex quest isn't a shitty meme game. Write up a few paragraphs of the merits of the game.

I bet you haven't even played it. Furthermore I bet you suck at Doom.

I think we know who the illiterate nigger is here.

Convince us that it is a shit game yourself.

The Speedy Gonzales game on the SNES (source of the famous Sonic 4 bootleg) is pretty good.
Taz in Escape from Mars on the Megadrive is really cool from what little I've played. Would recommend to fans of Wario Land.
Holy Diver for NES. Yeah, a game based on a Dio music video. Makes for a pretty decent Castlevanialike.
Beetle Adventure Racing. Despite being promotional material for the Volkswagen beetle is one of my favourite racing games.
Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti. A simplified kiddy spinoff of Splatterhouse for NES. Might be my favourite Splatterhouse game.

Stop.
Stop it right there.
This is Holla Forums in its purest form.

It is an argument not about who has played the game and whether or not they enjoyed it, but whether or not you can convince the other person and the audience at large about whether or not your opinion is correct.

Because the levels for it are solid enough to be a part of the main Doom episodes.

You can't just go talking shit about Marathon like that without backing yourself up.

So much potential. Like tears in the rain.

darude sandstorm

lol funny meem dude!!!

That game was fucking awesome, harsh and unforgiving, like all god-tier vidya should be. Some stages were absurdly difficult to pull off for a kid's game and it's one of those titles where you feel genuinely accomplished when you catch a sheep, especially in the late stages that get long as fuck and where stealth takes a backseat to the puzzles. The music and jokes were top notch, too.

I've only ever bothered with the first episode but I wasn't very impressed.

what did they fuck up?

This is a criminally underrated game.

This game. It's basically just 3D Breakout but it's just perfect except for one thing. Single player only.

Better than Barkley.

Mark, get the banhammer.

Nice on-topic post :^)

South Park Rally was for a very long time the greatest kart racer ever for multiplayer (at least until the current console generation), and all the critics had to say about it was that they couldn't beat the first level and they found the humor offensive.

Note that the PC version is the only viable version of the game. PS1 and Dreamcast versions were awful.

that merlin fella looks an awful lot like a jew

The 7-Up Spot games were great.

was there more than one?
that's also one of the few instances were the snes version was better

Yes, there were multiple Spot games.

And the Sega Genesis version of Cool Spot was superior.

yet people still to this day cry about muh frame rate

There was a PC version as well so.

I was only partly joking on account of binging on a bunch of old fun PS1 & N64 games that had questionable frame rate.

I read that as 'too good for their own good' and immediately remembered the story of TimeSplitters 4

Why do they always do this shit and why do crappy games like Spec Ops The Line have tagged on multiplayer when they don't benefit from it

They're all voiced by Mel Blanc so it checks out.

Yeah this is one of the weirdest things: BBLiT had plenty of moments where the framerate would drop for absolutely no reason (there was very little in terms of textures or numbers of objects, but I guess the problem is that they loaded in the whole sublevel each time), yet Sheep Raiders ran perfectly fine, even at 60, with way more detail and with a draw distance that honestly was the same as other games at the time.

Which is?

chaos theory would have been way better if it had been something better than a Tom Clancy bowel movement

These 2 games were way better than i expected

Burnout 3 with a modern physics/destruction engine would be literally the perfect game. Burnout 3 is the peak of the series and I don't need you trying to argue otherwise.

Niponland is truly the savior of gaming

God I loved that game. Fuck chaos theory or thief, that one was the best stealth game

lol, you're a fag. I don't even disagree.

Sony begged Konami for a Metal gear exclusive only for the PSP because of how pathetic the sales were for it.

Japan was the only country were the PSP saw any kind of commercial success

You forget that publishers don't want games to be either good or fun aymore

It did well in Europe, because Europoors would buy a piece of shit with the PS logo on it, and because of piracy. I made a decent amount of shekels modding the thing here. The Vita was the only exception to this, as no one bought it anywhere.

The new operators are slightly annoying. But Holla Forums has blown their impact on the game completely out of proportion. I think, the fact that ubisoft is actually removing whole maps from the map pool for all times a lot more worrying on the other hand.

Basically Free Radical had been working on TimeSplitters 4 for a while and were trying to offer it up to publishers. They had a demo, but the general response was 'this game has too much content, we're not really sure how to market this.'

Due to other shit going on at the time like what happened with Haze and Battlefront 3, the company went under and got purchased by Crytek.

'Free Radical vs the Monsters' is a pretty good read and tells about things that were going on.
archive.is/ASlyy

Daily reminder

The base game was already made and it was fucking DOOM. What Chex adds is a coat of paint and a set of original maps that happen to be good.

Western video game companies are cancer.

Holy fuck. You've got to be shitting me.

Free Radical really got fucked in those final years.
You'd think someone had it out for them.

It sounds like (((western publishers))) have it out for anyone not willing to be their bitch.

I like the cut of your Gib sonny Jim. (you) are a chip off the old block. (you) have learned well padawan. NOW ACCEPT YOUR PHANTOM PAIN

I remember that advertisement. With how hard I rolled my eyes, I believe that advertisement was the first time I saw the inside of my skull. I miss my PSP. Those were good times.

Yeah. Whoever's left under Crytek hasn't done anything worthy of note, though they did have the whole TimeSplitters 2 campaign playable in that new Homefront game as an easter egg.

I recall hearing how one of the big guys left and does mobile games.

What about that other PSP MGS game that was so bad that Kojimbo practically retconned it all? I forgot what it was called but IIRC they created ideas that would go on to be perfected in PW.

There was also another Daffy Duck game for the gameboy that was a simple platformer with a hunger mechanic and time-delayed dynamite as an attack and a damage boost that had so many fucking animation frames on everything for no goddamn reason. It looked absolutely gorgeous despite being mediocre as hell. What's up with WB games having so much detail?

The best part is how reactive Sam is despite how many ways you have to trick him. In the second half of the game he gets so paranoid that even the tiniest mistake can send him running after you and there's almost no way of making it out alive. Also I just discovered there's two bonus levels I never even played just by searching for old clips of the game one is in a dark area of the tv studio which just looks like a random wall but can be jumped on to reveal another door, another secret level is accessible by entering the time-warp level FROM THE BACK of the door.

I remember the PSP being the first emulator console for plenty of my mates, I had already been using the DS for the same purpose but for some reason the PSP just felt better.

This hurts to read, betcha if they had the tech for microtransactions up and running they'd have released it as an episodic title with multiple DLC batches. Fuck nu-industry companies.

I also like M.C Kids, it's one of the few cartridges I still have from back in the day.
I think you'll this article about programming it:
games.greggman.com/game/programming_m_c__kids/

A team of four people and the game was made in 8 months. We've lost this kind of simplicity these days. Games are huge, bloated and expensive, that means you have to use a tried and successful gameplay experience. That means games get more and more stalled, because there's little room to creativity.
Only when games get simpler again we'll have the good times back.

You mean when corporate structure in western companies stops being kike-run communist shit.

These come to mind

Infogames seemed to like Looney Tunes and videogames in general well enough to produce halfway decent games. Sunsoft's releases aren't too awful.

bump

The best period for console gaming
every console generation was more powerful than PC hardware at the time, and what consoles were doing with 1998 hardware in 2001 blew away everything being done on the PC until 2003 hardware hit the scene. /r/masterrace revisionist history is the cancer killing this board.

I hope no one seriously thinks DOS platformers were better than what consoles were offering at the time.

It helps that the game never showed a lot of scenes with the shitty father and the shitty town in general and replaced them with actually fun platforms.

Definitely not born before 96.

I admit I started out with consoles in 1987 of all years but finally got into PC gaming with Doom

Taz Wanted had no right to be as fun as it was.

Its amazing what Falcom has done on the PSP with a tiny budget.

When I look at Ubisoft and EA I'm glad there's still some good in this industry.

For what reason? I remember when EVOLVE was doing that shit and it just hastened the demise.

Great?
You should have said they were spot-on.

This was my first PC game.

Holy shit the Sponegebob games on Ps2 were legit great games.

patrician taste my friend

Didn't Vin Diesel actually fund the studio for those games?

He created the character even.

Wasn't Riddick based on a D&D character of his, and the movie being like a retelling of a tabletop game he had?

That's how the legend goes.

What?

Isn't the character from the movie Pitch Black?

It's 99% of the time the publisher forcing/persuading them to do it. The Lead Developer of all three Dead Space games basically explained how corporate suits from EA would come down or call and tell them that if they put so and so amount of DLC in the game they'd get a larger budget to help with the main game, and if they added multiplayer they'd get even more budget and a slightly longer development time. It's why DS1 had cosmetic DLC, DS2 had multiplayer, cosmetic DLC, and story DLC, and DS3 had all three plus microtransactions added.

Considering Spec Ops: The Line was published by, "Shark cards are not the same thing as microtransactions." 2K, I'd say 2K forced them to do it.

Spider-man 2 was the first spider-man game to get web-swinging around a city right.
It is unfortunate however that this new fun style of gameplay was wrapped up in an average, mediocre game.