Romancing SaGa 2

Well it finally dropped on steam and I assume everywhere else too.
As expected, its just the android port, but we knew that from the trailers, now the question is, will it gain enough traction to make sure we get RS3 and Scarlet Grace? right now the reviews on Steam are mixed, but to be fair there are just 16 of them or so.

Dont toy with my heart Kawazu pls

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/WhO0o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akitoshi_Kawazu#Game_style
twitch.tv/videos/210146894
shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/rs3/
pastebin.com/kRbSg6PG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Port is shit.

If they'd released Scarlet Grace first we'd probably be in better shape. Maybe this is just to accumulate funds to do so. Being a physical buyfag though if it doesn't come physically to Vita I don't care what comes out.

Most likely it won't come over. Square has shown something ranging from dislike to outright despisal of the Vita out here. There's not a lot of Vita games on it that they were willing to bring overseas, and some of which they originally only wanted to release for mobile, and acted shocked that people would want them on an actual system. Though, it's also worth noting that for some that were digital only titles in Japan, they sure didn't bother to make the effort for physical out here either.

To be honest, I'm surprised they even decided to bring RS2 west after all these years. Since the PS2 entries they haven't seen fit to bother with the series here, resulting in the PSN versions of SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 remaining Japan only (along with Brave Fencer Musashi, though that's unrelated), and the DS remakes of SaGa 2 and 3 had to be fantranslated.

apparently the new producer, Masanori Ichikawa, has a huge hardon for the series, he is in part responsible for porting RS2 everywhere.
Along with lots of japan only events like festivals and theater plays, and tie-in products. I do hope he has enough weight to bring more titles over.

Would really depend on if he can overcome the dislike higher ups at Square (at least out here in the west) have towards the Vita as to if Scarlet Grace comes over. They could just as readily decide it's not worth the effort, depending on how they deem sales of RS2 coming west. Have to remember, this is the company that took Chrono Trigger DS selling a million copies (which, having been released and come west twice prior, isn't too bad of sales for a port if you ask me) showed a lack of interest in them to continue the series (though that still didn't stop them from dumping Trigger to as many digital formats as they could afterward, nor Cross from getting on the PSN). Some development heads might not have sway with international branches, especially if the local branch might not care to see a game come west either.

Play the translated snes version, how is this even a decision? That and Romancing SaGa 3 is better.

So what's Romancing SaGay?

You spelled it wrong. It's "Romancing HoMo."

Did that slacker of Aeon Genesis finally finished in translating this game?

OP, here, I decided to bite the bullet and bought it.
Honestly, its not the end of the world, its just the phone version slapped onto steam, but Im not experiencing crashes, the controller works fine and fullscreen does not look that bad in battles, which is nice because Im spending most of my time in there.
I do hope if they ever port RS3 that they dont rape the backgrounds, original RS2 backgrounds are meh, but RS3 looks so close to FFVI it feels comforting in its familiarity, I really like them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
perhaps now that fucking Squeenix released the game he will actually do something, I still doubt it

He's a fucking loser, he won't.

Only RS1 and 3 have translation patches as of now.

He hasn't even posted a progress report for anything on his website in over two years now, and if memory serves has an "ask for progress and I block you" policy with his twatter, so I don't think you can get updates like that either. In contrast, look at Absolute Zero putting out monthly updates on what they work on, because they actually care to let those interested know how things are progressing.

Wouldn't put it past him to have quietly canned it once word that Square was bringing the phone remake west got out. Some fan-translation groups do that out of "respect" for the decision, though sometimes it comes back to bite them in the ass (see Kajitani's anger at Bamco).

It's like if someone took Final Fantasy 2 and then ran it into the ground. No idea what fine details are of this specific mechanics shitpot is, though.

When did people start using "drop" in the sense of "to come out / to be released"? It used to be the contrary, if a company dropped a product, that meant they refused to produce it. Let me guess: it's a black slang, isn't it?

Talk about shit taste.

It is possible to turn off that stupid puppet animation the enemies do?

Yup it's amerimutt's lingo

What's the story of Romancing Saga? Is it a connected, canonical series or is each title sorta stand-alone like Final Fantasy?
And do I have to play them in order?
What's the actual gameplay like?

sorta standalone. The bard serves as a series connection.
no need to play in order
the gameplay is final fantasy-like for the most part. Stats and skills are gained by performing relevant actions in battle, which is appropriate considering the director of the first SaGa game directed Final Fantasy 2

the games thrive on being open ended and letting you find your own way instead of funneling you toward a destination

Wigger you mean.

Aeon/Gidheon is too busy cucking out on Twitter to translate anything.

Thanks user, I'll probably check it out on Switch so I've got something to play when I'm away for the holidays.

strictly speaking, Gideon Zhi hacks the code. He typically has projects ready to go just waiting on a translator and editor

Scarlet Grace is a low budget VN clone of the Romancing SaGa 1 PS2 remake, I'm really disappointed in Kawazu. This convenient shill interview archive.fo/WhO0o is neat though, I guessed that he grew up on wargames since he doesn't design JRPGs for fucking retarded weebs.

look, I know we got an anemic pamphlet for a manual while Japan got a 100 page thorough explanation of how to do shit and that actually significantly matters in this case, but Unlimited SaGa is pretty good.

if you want to interact with something while in a map, go to the skill option in the menu and select what you want to interact with at the top (either left/right or L/R, I forget which) and then select the skill/action to use. There is absolutely no indication that this is the primary fucking game mechanic in the manual nor is there tutorial ingame
you are now playing Unlimited SaGa instead of floundering about in it

go now and give it another try

so is unlimited saga actually any different from frontier 1 or RS3? why the hate?

my nigger

Autismo Kawazu was always taking a more western approach in making his games. Funny how the last remaining member of Square's old guard is the biggest WRPG and D&D fanatic while the their full-on weeb devs languish on FF15, KH3, and FF7 Remake.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akitoshi_Kawazu#Game_style

I liked the ps2 one but everyone keeps telling me it was really shit. I still like it tho.

No, I meant amerimutt.

Is there some reason why Square-Enix doesn't like updating player sprites but then get people who go the extra mile for background and tiles? In some cases it looks fine, but a lot of the time it feel like theres too big of a contrast. I think FFV and VI were also like this.

Yeah just ignore that, I forgot they did change them but it's just a different style.

will the snes version now get a better eng patch?

Somebody was porting the text from this version onto the rom

Really? Where did you find that info?

Looks like they have progress on the Tales of Destiny Remake.
twitch.tv/videos/210146894

Watch out for the muslims mods, you wouldn't want to be banned for hatespeech.

any info on that

Trips demand it

Are the Frontier games a good place to start? Really digging the character designs.

Just boot up the first game in an emulator and see if you like it, you can go wherever the fuck you want if you pick Lute and you can just fuck around on the maps until you pick out one of the characters that actually has a finished scenario. Asellus, Red and Blue are the most competent ones.

we all want to play the superior version and not that phone port shit. KeK had to intervene since nobody here seems to be focus on this matter.

still no translation patch for the snes version?

What are the mechanics I need to know going in to the game? Obviously it doesn't come with a manual any more, and back then RTFM and not forced tutorials were how you learned to play the game.
So how does the formation system work? Most of the time I encounter an enemy I end up "breaking formation". Do I have to attack from the side or the back or something?
What are the "tech points" I'm earning for? And why do I have so many P to keep track of? I've got HP, SP, LP, MP, not to mention the TP (teehee).
I've noticed some characters getting randomly bonus attributes at the end of battle, but how is that determined?

shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/rs3/

That's RS3. Are all the rules and shit the same for 2?

The systems in RS 1-3 are designed the same.

More like 12 bux in local money

Only on the surface, but 2 works completely different. Instead of picking up unique party members in the open world like in 1 and 3, 2 makes you the emperor of a castle town who has vassals of varying classes he can put into his party (like e.g. in FFT or Disgaea), when those run out of LP they leave the party permanently and can be replaced with new soldiers.
When the emperor dies, one of the vassals inherits his abilities and becomes the new emperor.
formation breaks either when you're attacked from behind or when you're attacked while dashing. Walk slowly when enemies are in immediate vicinity.
The more you get, the faster your skills can increase after battle. Those increase depending on your actions.
That is best explained here
pastebin.com/kRbSg6PG

also, what usually is WP (waza point) is called SP in RS2, and JP (jutsu point) is MP instead - one is for physical skills and the latter for magic

Thanks user. I did have autodash set so that's probably why I'm fucking up.

I'm familiar with both meanings. I notice the new use of "drop" some years ago though. I'm absolutely certain I've seen the word "drop" in music discussion for some time and I don't mean dubstep either, I mean " dropped his new LP".

I'm absolutely sure it's been around for some years now. In my mind, I can vividly imagine a black man saying " dropped his new album. Shit's fire yo" and that would've been in 2010 or so.

Depending on the edition, you can basically consider the SaGa games a Japanese Baldur's Gate.

You can gather your party from available candidates in the game world, far more than a typical JRPG, and you can build them however you wish.

There's not much of a big stop the bad guy quest till the end game, the majority of the game is going out on quests of your choice to do this or that. New quests can open depending on which ones you've done and how far along in the game you are.

Most of them are nonlinear in that you can choose to do the quests in any order you want to (Aside from aforementioned prerequisites)

A few of them (Like Saga Frontier II) are linear, more traditional JRPG setups.

For beginners, the PS2 remake of RS1 (Minstrel Song) is a damn amazing place to begin. Because american journalists trashed it, it's probably very cheap to acquire. If you need cheaper, just grab a rom and a translation of RS3.