Steam

Why exactly do edgy teenagers on Holla Forums hate steam? Would you prefer we go back to the past when every game used a different cancerous DRM scheme aka starforce?
The steam "DRM" is laughably easy to crack. Ironically steam made it easier to pirate video games so why all the hate?

Other urls found in this thread:

spyware.neocities.org/articles/steam.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For Hipster points mostly. Steam has been one of the greatest things for PC gamers, it has united every release under a common marketplace and has made it easier than ever to support developers and aspiring indie devs with great deals.

Because it's garbage site and tags for games are misleading and/or useless.
Review scores with only positive or negative votes, sheer amount of shills or retards in reviews and game specific forums being only good for salt mines.

Muh rebellion against jews.
Never mind that steam solely saved video games from consoles with their 720p*30fps cancer and allowed people to vote with their wallet.

It was unnecessary, just like your faggoty OP.

I never had any issues with Steam.

Praise Gaben!

This thread will make evident why this place is Holla Forumseddit at this point.

Yeah, thanks to faggots like you.

I don't really care. Steam does a lot of stuff wrong and the fact PC gaming is such a fucking mess at the moment relies almost entirely on Valve being too greedy or lazy to hire a group of people to actually sift through the greenlit games to decide what goes on the Store.

Apart from that however Steam is very convenient and usable. It's a nice way to support devs that I like that deserve to get my money.

I don't get why people are so assblasted about a store selling garbage. It's a store. No one's forcing you to buy stuff. Don't like it, ignore it. It's like going to Home Depot and going "NAILS HERE?! SCREWS ONLY REEEEEEEEE".

I would prefer if physical media existed on the pc, you don't own things on steam.

I'm on to you kikes

Stop projecting, OP.

Why would you make this post?
It further invalidates your previous argument.

These are the only two posts which I've ever read on Holla Forums that give valid reasons against steam.

Having plastic disk with data on it is no different from having data on your HDD.
Or rather if disk breaks down, nobody will refund you the money or give out another copy.
But if your HDD breaks down, you can redownload your game again.
You don't own shit either way, but at least with digital distribution you're entitled to unlimited amounts of copies.

I'd prefer we go back to the past when you weren't born.

misslink

I only use tags to find games easier and look at top comment, to find out if these games aren't complete waste of bandwidth.

Because I can.

Because by flooding the Store with asset flips and low quality games, not only good games that are worth people's time get buried and become much harder to find but it also lowers consumer trust, making the user less likely to actually take a chance buying a game that he doesn't know about.

What the situation Valve is perpetuating creates is giant games selling extremely well because they're very advertised, then good small indie game selling either no copies or selling hugely by sheer luck.

This, if Valve ever decides to go full jew and either starts banning you for various reasons (like wrongthink) or introduces monthly fees for their multiplayer services then you can pretty much say goodbye to your games. Since they only listen to the input of reddit cocksuckers, it's also a gamble whether enough people get mad at them to keep them in check or actually keep defending it if that ever happens. Latter happened with the Switch and PS4 if you remember.
Only problem is that there aren't many alternatives with most videogames on PC being steam-only nowadays.

Imagine going to Home Depot because you need to buy a set of heavy duty masonry screws for a specific job, you head to the screw department and when you arrive you find it's just a giant bucket filled with loose screws of all kinds - wood screws, tool-less screws, dry-wall screws…The list is endless. Some of the screws are good, high-quality screws made from strong, resilient metals, but the majority of them are cheap chinese-made pieces of scrap metal that'll sheer, strip and break at a moment's notice. Would you want to have to sift through this bucket every time you want to find a certain type of screw? Or would you rather go to a store that only sells a small number of screws, but they're all clearly marked and they're all extremely high-quality?

They support things like false marketing (plenty of times store pages haven't mentioned that a game has DRM until the moment of launch or later/never). They keep pushing extremely anti-consumer things like paid mods. They use the bullshit 1USD=1Euro conversion and all the other regional pricing nonsense, despite the goods being digital (and they did this long before competitors like gog did it, which of course only helped the other sites adapt that cancerous practice). Their entire platform is extremely pro-DRM. While Steam itself isn't strictly DRM, a fuckton of games use either steamworks or other DRM. It's just a terribly anti-consumer platform in general.

First time you've ever seen a thread about Steam, huh?

More like going to Home Depot, paying for nails, bringing Home Depot home with you, cramming Home Depot into your hard drive, waiting 30 minutes for a download, waiting another 2 minutes for a patch, then FINALLY being able to use the nails… oh wait there's another update. Ok, FINALLY being able to use the nails in another 2 mins 34 seconds… 33… 34…33, fuck internet disconnected. Maybe I can use my nails tomorrow.

Steam is only an option. They don't sabotage or prevent you from buying elsewhere.
You can only blame yourselves for not supporting the alternatives.

Get a job as a professional goalpost mover.

Piracy. Even if you're the most moral, well-meaning person in the world, why WOULDN'T you just pirate your entire library back if Steam takes it away?

Maybe you're a lawful neutral kind of character: just completely spineless and married to the rules.

K

Who told you this is how ownership works? Owning something means it is your responsibility. If you break it or its damaged in some kind of event, thats nobody elses problem but your own. You can sell it, share it, trade it, whatever if you owned it. You can't do this on steam and you are only granted a revokable license.

If you break your chair does the chair company send you a new one? I've only ever seen this stupid train of thought applied to steam. If you find it more convenient that's nice, i care about ownership, not convenience because it's ultimately an issue of principle.

The company for my chair did. There was an 800 number at the bottom of the chair. I can reorder whatever part I want.

Fuck off redditor

Piracy is nice and all, but the idea of trading cash for a license that is out of your control is the dumbest fucking thing ever. If your solution is to engaging in the market is to just pirate it, its the same thing as saying your solution to elections is to not vote.

Thats called a warranty. Part of customer service, not ownership.

Why vote when all the candidates will screw you? Why pay for games when all the options out there screw you?

And then even if you destroy your steam copy of game, you can replace it infinite number of times for free.
Not to mention you can back up data on disks yourself.
Pry tell me how buying disk with game is any better.

That's how it works in every industry.

Which is a good thing because an uninformed consumer is a retarded consumer, especially in the age of the internet.

You guys speak like Steam doesn't have a tag and recommendation system. You can also set your profile to only recommend you stuff you like too.

Actually it's called being a terrible obnoxious person and making a scene over the phone. But I wouldn't actually do this.

How did you manage to destroy a digital copy of software? Did you spill cyber coffee on it?

Delete button.

Not if it has always online DRM or servers tied to steam

Steam may not be Monopolizing, but it really looks like a Monopoly if you're poorly informed and/or don't want to be informed.

Also these ironically-extremely-right-wing-but-actually-extremely-leftist teens that were raised on the Colbert Report genuinely think Capitalism is bad and Steam is Capitalism at its best.

I appreciate how you ignore that most games for the eight years or so have required Steam to be installed. Fallout: New Vegas, for instance. Hell, Sonic Mania doesn't physically exist.

Thats a boogeyman you've dreamt up
leftist commies love steam because it always bends over when they raise a shitfit while giving their tribe preferential treatment.

You have only yourself to blame if you do retarded shit like that.
I mean if console player buys destiny, does it mean he owns it? He has disk, but he can't play shit without internet, so much for muh physical goods.

You can't fool me.

Two words

P A I D M O D S
A
I
D
M
O
D
S

The same can be said for Steam you retard

/end the thread

Also its less about not buying always online games and more about how the practice gets normalized due to retarded steamfags like you who eat shit like Denuvo for breakfast.

No? You can play steam games offline.

Lol.

no amount of shitposting on anonymous image boards is going to change the fact that retarded steamfags like you are the one enabling and keeping shit like Denuvo and VMware alive.

Add lootboxes and microtransactions to the list of cancer you support too.

Steam is like 80% of the PC gaming market, so while not a monopoly(and thankfully Valve isn't trying to make it a monopoly, too bad normies are doing that all on their own), but every time they fuck and HOO BOY do they fuck up(paid mods, the one time they fucked up the recovery feature leading to millions of stolen accounts, the one time people could see a random users's account page instead of their own) it affects a majority of the PC gaming space. To put it simply, Valve are incompetent and should not have the market share they do now.
On the other hand we have sagebombing faggots like 74ec33 and 40f1e3 that equate one's purchasing habits to the platform they're using. Or that one guy that posts the SLAVERY pic with the Steam logo every time shmups get a thread. Or implying that Steam somehow caused Denuvo even though the first Game to implement it was fucking FIFA '15 a goddamn Origin excluse. Steam is shit, sure. But shit on it for the right reasons. Also

I only play single player, don't give a shit about gamer culture or the gaming community and dislike the cancerous marketing parasite layout of Steam.

GOG is a decent alternative. Its gaming how it was before social media.

Wow, what a totally not a false dichotomy.

OwO what's this??

You're one to break down quick huh.

>shilling this hard for (((valve)))
So it has finally come to this?

Kys pedoshit

Steam literally has a built in microtransaction system in the form of trading cards and every single game Valve has made since Portal 2 has ingame microtransactions.
but hey not all steamfags amirite?

Your good goy ass is so blinding by the menorah of gaben that you can't see an argument against steam from a mile away.
Doing damage control for the fat kike here isn't going to raise your steam account level you know

Fuck (((valve))) for the way they treat their communities

They don't deserve the cash cows of dota+csgo.

Steam has become bloated and helped bring in a lot of cancerous business practices.

Early access is possible almost entirely because of steam. Without Steam existing it would be much much harder for companies to release unfinished games at full price and then slowly update it. People just wouldn't buy it.

DLC requires a stable platform as well and Steam enables that but that's not a single steam problem.

The store front is unusable in it's current state, it's advertising me shit I don't care about and a bunch of shovelware indie shit fills every possible tab.

The indie scene as we know it killed modding. Steam allowing any retard to publish a game meant people no longer wanted to work on mods. Why invest all that time and effort into a mod when you could make it a stand alone game and sell it for 10 bucks?

The genres aren't useful. Tags are even worse. If I want to play an open world game why the fuck is Tekken 7 under that tag? If I want to play a first person shooter why the fuck is Gone home under that tag? They're useless. Sort the store by gaming genre, you can be cross genre but don't tell me Tekken 7 is open world.

Valve are responsible for hat shops. TF2 kicked it off and it went to hell from there.

Finally valve is dead because of Steam. Steam is literally the Jewish middle man who does almost no work in order to get maximum profits. Without Steams infinite money stream Valve would have been forced to reorganized their business structure by now. Valve claims to have no bosses or managers, it's just a bunch of people working on projects. Imagine how shitty that is, imagine how shitty the stories are that come out of there when people quit. It wouldn't survive if not for steam constantly funnel money into the system for no work in return. L4D3, Portal 3, Half-life 3, Team fortress 3, Death match classic 2 are all held down by this flow of money. No one is going to work when they don't need to do anything to earn money.

you think lootboxes and early access shit is a feature?
kill yourself steamfag

GOG is almost as bad as Steam as of recently what with the Galaxy.dll fiasco and fucking LOOT BOX sales. Pay 3 bucks and you might get a good game, or you might get shit. Although admittedly GOG's tighter curation means it has less shit cluttering up the store.

No one likes to see anyone do it for free.

still no argument

That doesn't mean that it's how it should work. Thanks to the evolution of the internet, games could be the first industry to break away from this shitty formula. However Valve is making that impossible.

I don't know what you're trying to say. Consumers are retarded, if you don't try to stop them from making stupid choices then you will always have a flawed industry.

You're basically just saying "eh fuck it everybody's dumb so we shouldn't even try to fix the problem".
With a properly curated Store even a dumb consumer would be able to buy and play good games from smaller teams, eventually leading to a better climate for the whole industry.

How did Steam end up becoming the go-to platform for buying games anyway?
All they had on it at first were their own games.

What happened?

are you just spouting shit at this point? Just because you heard the argument being used properly doesn't mean you are using it properly right now. Go defend a corpse, you are nothing more than a modern biodrone at this point.

How about not wanting to get fucked up the ass at all? I don't give a shit how easy Steam DRM is, I don't want any DRM, period.

Reliability, innovation and convenience.
Like every other service.

It was the first to the scene and had popular titles exclusive only to it.
That and stuff like Orange Box shipped with a steam requirement.

Have you used steam when it came out? Or ever?

My argument was if your disk dies, physical copy doesn't entitle you for replacement.
Digital copy does.
Refute that.

IM client + steam sales made it the default platform

I've been using it since 2008, yes

Someone didn't read the ToS when they agreed to it. :^)

Doubt it, or you'd never talk about reliability.

When steam came about it was the most broken shit with updates every launch that failed most of the time and regular downtime which meant you couldn't play your games.
Till last year the steam servers crashed every time there was a sale and their costumer service is worse than EA's right now.

They were among the first in a largely untapped market, and managed to get some titles exclusively on it(ie Orange Box). Also sales, and generally being the least shit for the longest time before GOG decided to branch out from retro PC games.

Steam has gone down a few times, like every other service. However there haven't been moments were the service was completely unusable for weeks.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

They basically forced CS players to move to it.

rofl fucking copter

Having a counter argument isn't "moving the goal posts". I guess life has moved the goalposts your entire life. :^)
Now go pray daddy gayben doesn't ban you for being a bad goy and lock you out of your account~!

I'm used to owning my games without a leash attached. If they allowed me to take my games off of Steam, then yeah, I'll start buying again.

Making copies of original for personal use is legal.

Right.
So do you have any proof of the service being completely broken for very long periods of time or are you just shitposting?

Steam has been around for almost 15 years at this point, its track record for uptime is still excellent.

Try something else, your second rate tactics don't work.

There's other factors for being "reliable" than just downtime, you humongous scum sucking retard.

Let them have their 16 year old rebelling phase and eventually they'll grow out of it. I've been there, you've been there and eventually they will call it their past too.

Yeah because crashing for an hour 3 times a year means the service has awful reliability.

Okay.
Like?

You are just shitposting for the sake of shitposting at this point. You have no argument except "nu uh!".

Like being a resource hog. If you truly used it since it appeared you have to know what I'm talking about.

and you're still trying to tell me this place isn't overun with newfags?

Holy fuck, op ! are you 10…

I'm probably the oldestfag here and I threw out Steam immediately after I got sick of waiting for them to do anything worthy with DayZ.

Steam is a platform for selling games and I don't buy shit, I'm also not into MMOs I believe there's a great many Holla Forumsirgins who're of the same stripe. It follows then that non-users start seeing it as a jewgolds funnel for flogging current-year titles while trying to sell you old titles all over again. Throw in paid mods and you've got all the reasons you need.

You know you could try to articulate your point by writing more than one line of text at a time, maybe then we could actually have a conversation rather than a one sided argument where you call me a retard without actually saying anything.

Being a resource hog is hardly a problem related to reliability,

I'm currently playing and steam is using pic related.
50MB of ram. That's 1/160 of my total ram. With less than 0.2% of my 3.5ghz quad core CPU.
Is that a resource hog?

I think it's more than fine.

R00fles, when your service takes ages to load any page, crashes and freezes, that's fucking reliable.
Kill yourself.
You either are extremely dumb or extremely dumb shill.

I get the feeling these demoralizing posts are a some subtle goon OP.

Listen post proof of your claims or fuck off, I ain't wasting my time discussing nothing

Proof of steam running like shit when it came out and years after that?
Anyone who used the fucking thing back then knows it's true, you can take your precious time and fuck right off now, worthless sack of shit.

It does. I still have my nonfunctional Diablo2 game disc next to the one I got as a replacement in the mail. You're just an underage nigger.

It shouldn't be crashing in the first place. It pretty much kills any multiplayer you might be playing and those crashes aren't a one time thing. They happen periodically throughout sales.

I hate steam because I remember a time before it when I did not have to run a shitty broken resource hog piece of software on my computer just to play a game. I still use it though

Stop making excuses for retards. You're giving into Holla Forumss paranoia where they refuse to engage with people and call them shills instead.

The world is full of retards. Video games especially so. That makes any vidya community shit because it can't be made up of anything but shit people

Gee fellow steam user, I wonder why. Why don't you kill yourself and find out?

Based Blizzard, right?

Do you suck cock?

Do you?

You're so underage is not even fun yet. Nice job changing the topic by the way. How are you not banned yet?

thank g-d then we have intelligent,free thinkers like (you) around that totally don't suck dick or anything to guide the rest of us

You mean the ones that did nothing good since they were kicked out?

gog is the closest thing to a good option but the fact its digital only ruins it. I personally want my purchases to have a semblance of value attached to them.

That's just how servers work. Also the Store servers and the community servers are different, when the store crashes because of a sale or an event, very rarely the user servers crash.
Multiplayer is connected to the user servers.

It doesn't though, if your steam account got banned, say good bye to your library

Only weak-minded scum like you wants to give power to other to filter what they see.

Are you a retard? A bigger store will always make it harder to find what you want. It's unavoidable.
You might as well argue for small stores that are somehow magically perfectly suited for your tastes and yours alone.

Subjectively marked

WTF is it with this barrage of stupid? Are we being raided?

This is the most retarded underaged post I've ever seen on 8/v/. Time to make 16/v/ tbh.

My topic about digital copies letting you have infinite replacement as opposed to physical that don't haven't been refuted yet.
So blizzard lets you get a replacement for D2 disk. Once or twice.
What about other games?
How about 20 times.
You, my dear anons, still have no argument.

gamezard is back

Reported.

It only prevents you from posting on forums.
Or you mean some hardcore fucking ban issued for outright illegal activities? What do you even need to do to get one?

why buy PC games, ever?

Don't buy early access and sell the lootboxes on the steam market offering funbux with exchange rates of 1:1 with your real Rothschild funbux currency?

why do you care about a faggot spending anything between 13 and 44 federal reserve™ toiletpaper notes on licenses for video games?
What would you rather him do with it?

sage for shitty 1 and done thread.

Back to >>>/cuckchan/ faggot

This happened and Steam and Valve were the best choices out of this whole mess, anyone who says otherwise didn't game on PC in 2005-2011, publishers didn't care, they killed entire genres and franchises because consolefaggots and normalfaggots flooding tech ate anything their Overlords would shovel at them.
DRM was where mainstream was pushing all this time, Steam was the best option and a placebo where you can pirate anything with it pretty much at launch, finding a free download for something as small as Dominions or DLsite games on a public tracker was a pain in the ass and the popularity of Steam only got more pirates onto the scene.

Anyone complaining about it is a retard and likely a consolefaggot, pirates don't care and will pirate shit and shut up about it, anyone fellating and defending it is an even bigger retard and should be gassed.

This shit is much more nuanced than you fucking faggots love to pretend its not, publishers gave people no choice, and the at the time small time Valve raped companies like EA, Ubisoft and Windows which were indeed pushing for a monopoly on this DRM shit.
The fact that digital distribution got as popular as it did was the reason I finally got to play EDF on PC outside Touhou.

Also this
Fucking vols keep sleeping though

This entire thread is bait, but fuck it. I'll bite.

I dislike Steam because I don't think Valve provides a useful enough service to justify the absolutely massive amount of money they rake in off other people's work to pay for fat Gabe the jew's food budget.

Steam has gotten large to the point that if a PC game isn't released on it, it's almost guaranteed to fail. For every sale made, Valve takes a 30% cut. What do they provide in return for the money they make? Their tech support and customer service are laughably bad. There's zero quality control. Every "service" they provide from the sales to the market is set up entirely for more moneygrubbing for as little work as possible. They don't make their own games anymore despite the die-hards who still want them to because they don't need to. The few games they do put out at this point are things they purchased after someone else did the ground work. Say what you want about consoles or traditional publishers, but atleast when they take a cut of the profits, they either provide the hardware necessary to run the game (sold at a loss with the games themselves used to make it profitable) or help cover some of the initial costs to get the game out there in the first place. Valve just keeps their servers up, counts their jew gold, and shovels slop into Gabe's enormous ass.

Digital distribution is better because you can back it up as much as you want.

Basically this.

WON servers were deactivated, so, if you wanted to keep playing CS, TFC or any Half-Life mod online you had to go to Steam ins 2003. It was basically a very buggy version of Origin back then. Also Half-Life 2 launch in 2004 coupled with Counter-Strike Source earned a lot more adopters to the Steam platform.

A consolefag who still thinks the hardware is sold at a loss after 7th Gen and has never seen the kikes at Steam shilling for games.
Amazing

Steam was released in 2003 and it was extremely buggy. Even Half-Life fansites made fun of it.

Can you faggots just go back to reddit?
Steam was the death of PC gaming. its a fucking content managment system for people too stupid to sort shortcuts to installed games. it gave normies easy access to vidya and caused the collapse of the entire vidya industry.

Steam is the root cause of all this shit we're seeing now. it is the fucking itunes of video games when before everyone either ripped CDs or used bittorrent.
defending steam is just admitting youre either underage, or a normalfag casual faggot that started liking video games as soon as it became a fad.

Are you a child with a propension to punch your controllers by any chance?

[Citation needed]

guess we shouldnt have mocked Tom Preston, Chris Chan, and many others lolcows

It was the opposite, Steam was the much needed competition to the console kikery that was taking over the industry.

now the biggest releases on PC are just console ports, usually late ones at that with an added spoonful of DRM and the developers half assing it with no extra PC features other than you can change graphics settings which has no real tangible effect beyond medium (console) settings.

truly saving PC.

you do realize ubisoft games on steam need to log in to both steam and uplay, right?

i never said that 2nd point. did you mean to quote someone else mr redditor? or do you not understand how greentext works.
fyi [citation needed] is a faggy reddit meme. doesnt surprise me that the redditors come here, then make threads and post about how theyre assmad Holla Forums generally hates steam. no different from shitskins entering europe, then complaining about europe

oh is that why the quality of pc games have increased so much as steam got more popular?
kys.

You're also the most retarded person in this thread.
Fucking hell you are so stupid it hurts.

O_o

So… where do you buy your games? Do you pirate everything like a total nigger?

I am literally using steam to play pirated games online and I haven't been banned yet. No idea what you would have to do to get your entire acc locked.

:D

>>>/reddit/

Is this really necessary? I remember back in my days playing a Korean MMORPG, I was quite content with spending money on pretty hats and clothing to make my character look pretty. Why do you need to have something of value for your money? Surely, it's the experience that matters, right? That's what matters, isn't it?

Don't people spend the most amount of money in order to experience the things that are immaterial such as friendship or family? (Not that people buy friends but rather, these bonds need money for maintenance, in case what I meant wasn't clear…)

And the biggest releases on consoles are FIFA and Destiny, whats your fucking point?
You're not even right you autistic nigger, the biggest releases are from Early Access Survival and Battle Royal games thanks to Steamfaggots

If it wasn't called Uplay it was something, I remember having to access a client for Ubisoft games back before all their games were on Steam.

Want to know how you weren't playing PC vidya in 2008-2012?

Autistic retards will always value their chinese manufactured and marketin produced shit than the actual contents made by the developers themselves.

Its millenial collectionist thought process

If steam would sack up and tell developers they Can't stack third party DRM on their games I'd have respect for them actually following their own business plan of providing a better service for the consumer.
As it stands
Steam is a wet bag of shit with some Dimes in it. And I am better off buying things on GOG or Playism and just using steam for tf2

except that it wasn't Valve who did this, all valve games are still brutally hard to learn. Activision, Ubisoft and EA and games easier every year.

that wasn't really my point, you used to have a different client/service for every game and now you also have Steam on top of that

You do realize that steam is fully cracked, right? You can play every game out there that uses steamworks cracked online. Payday, street fighter, serious sam, borderlands 2 (not that those are good games, but those are games that use steamworks only) you can literally pirate them and then play them online using steam.

The only thing that isn't cracked properly yet is the steam market.

PC gaming sure was great, fellow old fags.

Yes retard I am well aware of how easy it is to crack steam games (by design). That's not what I am saying though. Valve should out right REFUSE to sell games with third party DRM built into it, and the fact that they do is an admission that they don't have real standards for product quality like they brag about.

They can't negotiate that because their DRM is easily cracked, they have to accept third party DRM being bundled with the game if they want to attract the big names. Not that the third party DRM isn't as easily cracked, mind you.

don't forget dying multiplayer, searching for patches (sometimes websites would require you to wait 10-50 seconds just to be able to download a shitty file.) and people not patching their games causing the community to be split on different versions.

yeah but imagine you are a game designer and you want to sell your game on steam, with the only option being that faulty drm. I would also love it if Valve did that, but you can't really expect them to do it.

Or you could, you know. Sell it without DRM

Steam was all right but after paid mod 1 and 2 my opinion of them is terrible. They've made some incredibly shitty decisions.

why is the average Holla Forums user so retarded?

Wow, what a coincidence that valve allowed them to do that shit on steam

Why are torposters always so new?

aside from that terrible point you made, i didnt say valve. i said Steam. do you know how to read?

fuck off kid.

Except every popular mod had a donation button set up and the hosting websites like Nexus were also selling premium accounts.

Modding existed long before shit like nexus was even a thing.

and the mods were still free for anyone that wanted them.
donation boxes became common everywhere, people even stuck them at the bottom of video game walkthroughs and amateur strategy guides. it was just a more generous way to say thanks.

Did you just fucking quote me?

i was agreeing with you.

And again?

I know what you said, it just doesn't makes any sense. How can "Steam" (some shitty drm/market place software) ruin gaming? And how is it steam's fault everything is shit?
harder does not mean it's better. How exactly is automatically updating better than manually having to search for updates?

(stop bumping this thread. fucking sage)

do you like sucking dicks? Imagine there is a market that requires you to suck dick before you are allowed to enter it, would you visit that place just because it's harder to shop there than it is to shop in a place that doesn't require you to suck dick first?

Third party sites can go down (look gamespy), ask you to create a account, or make you wait to download files. 50 seconds may not sound like a lot, but it is cancer when you have to download 10 of them. Also, some games only have like 30-60 people playing it, and it sucks if all of them use a different version of the game. Just look at ut2k4, the server browser showed all versions, you would search a game, try to join a server but get kicked because you use the latest version and the server a old outdated version.

Steam made everything better and you are a retard.

fuck off retard. DSP? is that you?

NOT ALL TORPOSTERS!

Me not buying them isn't going to change the huge amount of steamfags who gobble that shit like their daddy's dick.

Because some of us were alive long enough to remember a PC game scene where we actually owned our fucking games and didn't need some fat greedy scumbag's useless background process to police our legitimate use of software.

Basically everything in this post is the opposite of reality. What Steam actually did was empower more developers to push DRM into their games. And, in fact, people who suck off a closed game system on personal computers are the actual consolefaggots.

You had a choice. You could have grown a spine and boycotted anti-consumer behavior. Instead, you rewarded it.

Steam can go down too you fucking mongoloid.

And citing a specific game where the devs couldn't figure out how to code a server browser doesn't mean steam is some magical godsend. It just means that specific game is shit. The vast majority of games handled different versions normally and worked fine. Get off Gabes dick.

Why exactly do assblasted trannies on cuck/v/ hate full/v/?

hehe

i remember pc games were getting annoying with their bullshit systems they wanted me to install, but it was always easy to just uncheck a box during install.
then one day i wanted to try hl2 because the physics engine was pretty fun to play with in that leaked demo and wanted more, and i tried to install it and it wanted to put some spyware thing on my computer called steam. i didnt see an option to opt out and thought i missed it, then i tried to find a setup.exe file on the disk that didnt include the steam spyware thing, i tried and tried for hours uninstalling it several times in the process.. i eventually gave in and installed it, then tried to kill and block the steam process so i didnt have to worry about shitty spyware running in the background while i played a game. i eventually returned the game to "software etc" and the guy at the counter told me alot of people brought it back with similar issues and he told me the only way would be to "wait for a patch or something."

not to difficult for me, it's to difficult for everyone else.

how many times did it go down so far?
the community is still split, no matter if you see it or not.

but before we continue this discussion, what kind of games do you anti steam people play? I bet it's a bunch of gay games, or single player games. Because there is no chance in hell you play multiplayer games and dislike steam. Also thank god for fucking steam workshop. That shit is truly godsend. You can install mods in game, and depending on the game disable and enable them in game too. Everything is installed in game too so you don't have to deal with lazy modders piece of shit mods.

smug-anime-girl.jpg

You can't install games in offline mode, you shit eater. You can't go into offline mode if you don't have a steam account.

Playing Terraria at the moment. Factorio a little later in the weekend. Also Mecha Ritz. Guess you don't need Steam after all to play good games, eh?

I never said that, I own a shitload of non steam games too. My copy of ut happens to be a non steam version. But this explains why you guys hate steam… Of course you would dislike it if you don't play the kind of games that benefit from it.

Holy shit the ideology on display here.

I am not going to repeat the things I posted already, but multiplayer games do benefit from steam.

you wanna fight me on this on Holla Forums?

You don't need a DRM platform to setup up a master server, kill yourself imbecile. Even small non-commercial open source communities like OpenTTD and Xonotic can figure out a solution.

you sure have alot to bitch about in regards to something thats not too difficult for you.

How the fuck does Steam suppose to empower developers? It exist first and foremost as a digital distribution store that made convenience a gold standard in the digital market. Patches, Fixes, all of that shit gets rolled out fast and in a easy manner for the consumer to download (that is, just having the game started up).
DRM is useless bullshit that gets fucking nulled anyway thanks to piracy. They pushed some DRM shit? Well too bad fucko, no purchase for you.
*inhale*
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A 'BOYCOTT' THAT HAS ACTUALLY WORKED?

Always, always in these threads there is a conflation with Steam the store and Facebook replacement with Steam CEG, the actual DRM. Why are Valve apologists so disingenuous? You can have all those lovely features and storefront without the DRM. There are games sold over Steam that in face can be run without the DRM. Cheevos are not a "feature" that DRM provides. A social network is not a "feature" that DRM provides. Multiplayer servers are not a "feature" that DRM provides. The DRM is not coupled with these things and can be disconnected. This is a classic shill argument and it's amazing how often it goes without being refuted.

you have to lie in order to defend half the shit they do.

I play a lot of classic console games, focusing on individual libraries at a time. I also spend my time playing PC games around Comiket. If I want to play Western PC games, there's plenty I've pirated, a number of gog installers, etc.

stick to consoles if using a computer is too inconvenient for you.

The people who don't need steam say it's useless. It may have no use for you, but other people need it.

What do they need it for?

playing pirated games online

I'm confused, why do you need Steam for such a task?

Everyone else is disingeneous, trying to paint Steam as some major evil. Valve has only been shady when it tried the paid mods shit with Bethesda, prior to that Steam was and still is a great quality of life software.

The past didn't start when you turned 15, kid.
I can reinstall my old games and choose which patches to use. I cannot do that with Steam games. If the devs decide to fuck with the game significantly beyond bugfixing, which is more common now than it used to be, there is nothing I can do about it. Cannot even tell Steam not to update my games anymore. The play experienced is controlled by the developer who may or may not censor, cut, or significantly change things as they see fit after you paid them. Also it is much easier to get a game to run outside of windows if it isn't for Steam. In every way Steam fucks you outside if not worrying about losing physical disks which isn't a problem if you are not a slob who never learned to take care of or even back up your things.

steam allows you to play certain games online

Steam is always online DRM.
Steam is invasive spyware.
Steam is required for all new PC games, you need to put your game on Steam to be successful unless you have something like Minecraft. This means that all new PC games are released with required spyware and awalys online DRM by default.
Steam's "social networking" and "community" and "workshop" features compete with other, superior community run platforms, detracting from them.
You don't own your games if you use Steam, you own a licence to the games that Valve can take away at any time.

spyware.neocities.org/articles/steam.html

Wow really? Has Valve graduated to internet service provider now?

Funny, I still own the boxes from PC and Mac games of mine going back to 1991. Not a single one of them requires some external background process whose only function is to police my legitimate usage. Perhaps you're full of shit?

Herp, sorry should have paid more attention to the post.

steamworks is cracked, every game that doesn't use third party drm works online on steam. There are dlc unlockers for almost every game too.

So… Steam isn't necessary, and it doesn't allow games to work online. You're just making excuses for anti-consumer developers who choose to force their customers to use Steam. Do you even understand what Valve offers? What a master server is? It's a server that simply keeps track of all the actual multiplayer servers running, the vast majority of which are run by third parties or even players themselves. It's actually not a terribly resource-intensive piece of infrastructure. Quite a few free and open source game communities have set up their own free of charge. OpenTTD, Xonotic, Freeciv, Battle for Wesnoth. Even old game communities like the original Battlefield games managed to accomplish it once the official Gamespy master server was shut down. In all of these instances, the option of directly connecting via IP is always possible without running through the master server. Steam is only needed for these games to the extent that anti-consumer developers have decided to force players to run through Valve's master server to connect to each other.

You cannot play them just like that without steam, just think of the days before steam and how many games actually worked online pirated.

gamergate

It's called retro, my man. Who needs today's games when most of them are SJW-ridden interactive movies or "muh nostalgia" ridden clusterfucks made by hipsters who get high off the smell of their own pixelfarts?

Hell, I'd love if Valve went even more kike-ish than they already did if only to clear the community of the riff riff that infests it. Not you, but the ones who shill for DRM, corrupt devs, etc.

Kill yourself fam.

You can play singleplayer games without internet, I did it literally last night.

Are you retarded? He's talking about being unable to play the damn game because there is no game - just a key for you to download the game. How are you supposed to download your game without an internet connection?

DRM is cancer either way. The ideal is that a PC game has a physical media for installing the game if you have no internet, and no matter how you acquire the game, it is DRM-free. Multiplayer-only games are given an exception in that they may require an internet connection to play, but not to install. Ideally all online games should be made with alternate servers in mind as well, since it can't be expected that the servers for the game will be around indefinitely.

You don't, there's nothing wrong with copying.
By selling copies of the game or by getting funded somehow, maybe even kikestarter as long as you deliver your fucking game.
Then get a real job or just deal with it and make more games, you entitled piece of shit. Starving artists and all that.
I import moon rune games and upload them for others to enjoy. :^) Does this bother you?