Nipponese Learning Thread: 関西ワイフ Edition

So, you wanna learn the Nipponese, huh? Well, you've come to the right thread. You know the drill; All of the relevant resources are available below. It's not an official list or anything, just an OP I threw together from items taken from previous threads. If you have any suggestions on how this list can be improved, then please don't hesitate to say something.

Learn the Kana. Start with Hiragana and then move on to Katakana. Yes, you need both, and yes stroke order is important. Use Realkana or Kana Invaders for spaced repetition. Alternatively, you can use the Anki deck, but I'd recommend the first two. Tae Kim has a Kana diagram on his website, and you can use KanjiVG for pretty much any character.

You have to learn vocabulary and grammar in order to speak and understand the language. Some will tell you to grind the Core2k/6k deck until you're blue in the face, others will tell you that grammar is more important. Truth is, you need both, but it doesn't really matter which one you decide to do first. You're teaching yourself here, so you move at your own pace and do what you're most receptive to. If you want grammar first, then Tae Kim has a great introductory grammar guide, there are numerous grammar related videos in user's all-in-one-Anki-package, IMABI has an active forums and an abundance of information on grammar, and there's always YouTube if you're lazy. On the other hand, if you want to learn vocab first, then grab the Core2k/6k and grind until you're blue in the face. For mnemonics, see Kanji Damage.

That's what these threads are for aside from the obligatory shitposting. You shouldn't assume that anyone here knows more than you, but there are anons here who are willing to help. Try to find shit out on your own, for fuck's sake, but if you're stumped, then maybe someone will have something to say that can point you in the right direction.

Threadly reminder:
YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

old DJT guide: docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
new DJT guide: djtguide.neocities.org/
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c

Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
Core 2k/6k: mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
user's Japanese Learner Anki package: mega.nz/#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!y0lRmK7K!93HHXch6ulsXzciBKkhE8Q
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pitch_accent
gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/eng/pages/home
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_phonology
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/thsrs/
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1964372878
kanjivg.tagaini.net/viewer.html
jisho.org/search/間 #kanji
jvnet.or.jp/~badz9005/tendo/hougen.htm
weblio.jp/category/dialect/hkdhj
operationrainfall.com/2017/12/23/fakku-now-selling-hentai-games/
manga-zip.net/archives/191871.html
jisho.org/search/どりょく
youtube.com/watch?v=ERfSMiksSHA
medium.com/@mombot/the-kotaku-article-regarding-persona-5s-localization-and-the-source-which-it-cites-are-false-e91d46617fc8
youtu.be/WTNA3NxNBgk?list=PLCpkagOK2EdMdi53pNiauJih5yfZGd1O9&t=1497
djtguide.neocities.org/resource guide.html#Useful Learning Tools
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck you, I'm learning Russian instead.

I know it's bound to be in the slew of OP links somewhere, but does anyone have a link or suggestion for children's/traditional stories in Japanese?
Reading NHK Easy News all the time is a bit boring.

Fugging KGB slut

I can upload 10 or so children's book PDFs directly if you'd like, but they're all quite short. If you can read NHK easy news you can probably read some easier manga.

mega.nz/#F!y0lRmK7K!93HHXch6ulsXzciBKkhE8Q
Here's some.

those were the ones I have so ignore my post then.

And here's a longer version 桃太郎 that isn't included in that link.

Thanks very much. I've found the manga I've read to be much easier than articles since they consist of short, concise sentences, meaning I don't have to keep track of the relationship between various clauses.

However, I'd like to be able to read literature at some point, not just comics, so practice, practice, practice it is.

resumed anki after 6 day break. now on my 7th day

how do i make Anki review all the stuff I have learned and not take any new kanji for a while?
the complicated ones are easy to forget tbh

Set your new cards to 0.

This isn't how spaced repetition works user.

If you skip rep day you die

ty

i know.
wageslave just became heavy at the moment
and adding fear and anxiety to continue anki

i watched nama sensei on my break though, although i want more vocabulary

I knew we would meet again, the moment I read 'Kansai waifu'…

…KASUGA AYUMU!

Also, sauce on that vidya gaem?

牧場物語 3つの里の大切な友だち (EN: Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns)

Does anyone elses yomichan on their browser lose all of their dictionaries at random?

どうもありがとう, アノンーくん!

What are some android app recommendations?

Jade Reader

I'm bilingual and can speak both english and spanish. Because I grew up with those two, I have an ear that can tell how "fluent" someone is at using either of them. In my experience, people trying to learn a new language always sound a little "off". Spanish speakers, who didn't grow up using english, never seem to speak english quite right. English speakers, who didn't grow up using spanish, never seem to speak spanish quite right. Never capturing or delivering the subtle intracacies that native speakers know almost instinctively.
My point is, I wanna learn japanese. With practice, I feel like I could become decent at speaking it. But I also just think that no matter how good I think I become at it, I will always still sound a little "off" to japanese speakers who grew up with it their whole lives. Sounding like the japanese equivalent of "engrish" in their eyes.

Having an accent is a bit different than having bad grammar which is what engrish is.

Yes and?

I was just wondering if native japanese speakers ever actually met someone who learned japanese later in their lives (not having grown up using it much in their lives), but speaks it well enough to be considered more than just "passable". Never sounding a little "off" to them, similar to my own experiences with listening to beginners of english or spanish.

Most people probably don't intensively study a new language. Instead, they only do enough so that they can speak with people on a regular basis, and perhaps read a bit of informational text. In other words, they treat learning a language as a mechanism for their survival, and not an interesting and rewarding endeavor that they take genuine interest in. There's noting inherently wrong with this, but the approach in learning a new language is ultimately going to inform the level of expertise.

There's a difference between the migrant who learns out of necessity and the scholar who learns out of a genuine desire to break down the language into all of its components and master its every facet. I think as long as you have the time to devote and the desire to learn, you'll eventually pick up those intricacies. It's a matter of discipline and exposure.

Keep in mind that it may take quite a long time to reach a level of mastery that is comparable to native speakers' efficiency.

People sound off when speaking a second language because they were never taught pronunciation and/or nuanced grammar, and never bothered to learn it themselves. Most people don't want to speak a language well they want to speak it sufficiently.
If you look at foreign actors who can flawlessly mimic a different accent, in some cases when they aren't even native English speakers, you will see that anyone can learn to sound like a native speaker with the right training and enough practice.
If you want to have a flawless japanese accent, this is what you need to do
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pitch_accent
gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/eng/pages/home
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_phonology

I guess they have furfags in Japan too. :^)

You will never be a jap anyway, so why does that matter to you? Even with perfect pronunciation, you'd still be a gaijin.

Is there somewhere that has translated manga but actually shows the grammar breakdown of what is being used?

Just read the raw.

The whole point is that it shows what grammar is being used and why.

The closest thing is probably japanese the mangay way.

You learn that by reading.

Yeah, but that's pretty limited.

The idea would be to have something quickly on hand to explain whatever I'm getting stuck at.

You're not going to learn if you expect everything to be explained to you in English. Just give reading a try.

I have, I found that I lacked the vocab and understanding.

Look, just crack open your favorite manga, take the raw sentences, and use a general grammar resource to work through them yourself. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's a solid suggestion if you ask me.

Well yeah, that's how it is at first. You have to keep practicing.

This isn't for manga, but have you looked at any Japanese readers? Not all are that detailed, but pic related is pretty solid. It goes over most of the grammar used, and although it's not anything more advanced than stuff you'll see in a grammar guide, seeing it explained from native Japanese stories can be helpful.

It's a painstaking process. Look up any vocab you don't know word by word, learn radicals if you aren't good at kanji. If you don't understand the grammar, try to look up the pattern online read about it or ask on forums. 99% of the grammar patterns you will ever encounter are on the JLPT and have extensive explanations online. The only thing you might really have to ask a nip online about is 文語, since the grammar and some vocab can be quite different than the modern language.

Does anybody know any good offline JP-JP dictionary program? Something like Oxford Advanced Learner's Vocabulary but for Japanese instead of English. I heard using one will help learners in learning subtle meanings between synonyms and such.

Japanese dictionaries can definitely provide a better understanding of words and not just for synonyms. You could try using an epwing dictionary. There's a few in the guide somewhere, probably in the textbook section of the cornucopia of resources. I like the 大辞林 dictionary personally. For actual similar word comparisons sometimes, try checking the 類語 section of this website: dictionary.goo.ne.jp/thsrs/

Just own it, I frequently speak Japanese in an exaggerated southern American accent since nips find this to be very entertaining. They almost never hear the language spoken in foreign accents since whenever foreigners are portrayed in Japanese media they're generally voiced/acted by Japanese people, so hearing an actual foreigner is pretty novel.

example: HAWJERMAYMAWSHTAY, BOKER WAW ANDREW JOHNSON DES, DERZOU YEROUSHKU.

Anyone know how to type the small つ on an english keyboard?

ltsu, or it will be written automatically when you double a consonant.

Double the consonant or put a t before any other consonant. If you're trying to put it at the end of a word or before a vowel type つ and then use the space bar to change it to っ.

why is it so hard to find people that are into kamen rider without being complete autists about it?
And why is it even harder to find people that share an interest in warring states era japan?

I didn't realize komari was so much of a hick from the english translation.

Protip, put "l" before any character that you need to turn it small.

Did they translate her accent at all?

Kinda. She drops the last letter on some words that get replaced with ', but i never really noticed that much. I find her dad's hick-ness comes through the english translation a lot more.

That's too bad, it makes her so much cuter. Though I guess there is really no way to properly translate Kansai-ben into English.

literally just replace it with Southern American English if the character is rural or AAVE or NYCE if they're urban, it's not that hard.

Those aren't as cute though.

NYCE and AAVE i'll give you but southern-belle accents are adorable

Fuck you whore. Once February rolls around, I'll have been studying Japanese every day for a full year.
Pic related is my RTK deck almost 100% completed, and that doesn't include all the progress I've made in my other decks.

What seemed impossible a year ago is now mostly behind me. It's a really good feeling, looking back on all I've accomplished, and I never would have gotten started with this studying, had it not been for these nipponese threads. Thanks for all the regulars here that keep this place alive.

whoops, pic related

You're gonna make it user.

Get on reading/listening as soon as you can. I got stuck in anki for a while because I was being too lazy to take the step and it stalled my progress pretty bad.

Kansai-ben is not a Japanese hick accent. More like a Japanese British accent. Kyoto is the former capital and Japanese historically lived in the kansai region long before populating kantou.

It isn't always a cuck accent but comparing it to a British accent is less accurate. A posh RP accent is associated with class and knowledgeability whereas kansai-ben is associated with being layed back and easy-going.

my phone thought I meant cuck when I tried to type hick because I can people cucks a lot more than I do hicks

So much for her.

What episode is that frame from, I have some Osakas as well.

Should I just start it all over or try to power through them

Best to start over.

I wouldn't really recommend to start over. Not sure how long you neglected studying, but you won't have forgotten everything and you may even remember the majority of it. Especially if you've still been using Japanese outside of Anki. If it's too much all at once to get back into then maybe try limiting your review count temporarily until you knock the count down a bit.

The problem isn't if he remembers it or not, the problem is that his Anki reviews are going to be unbearable from now on with that many piled up.

The final sentence of my post would help greatly with that. Even without that though, I'm pretty sure they'd sort themselves out eventually in time with different intervals Anki would give based on their differing intended due dates and with how they'd probably naturally re-learn forgotten cards, to some extent, in chunks with less difficult cards taking less time to get back out of that phase. Though it will certainly suck for a bit if they do decide to cram all the reviews at once. I've worked myself out of 1000+ reviews piled up before, and as of now my reviews from that deck are a very consistent 20-40 cards daily.

(Checked)

Thanks user! I've been looking this for a while, didn't expect to find it just under my nose.

Putting 'x' instead of 'l' also works too.

Can I say 左に曲がる to mean "you will turn left"?

Yeah.

So what were you learning the whole time, just the meaning?

Yes. Please bully.

That's not such a big deal, just do it right from now on.

Should I restart the deck?

Probably not necessary, but you can if you have trouble from now on.

Ive never bothered with it either, unless you plan on working on a proper accent, its fine

How do you read without knowing how to pronounce words?

i know how to pronounce them in english, but not the same way the japs do.

You're supposed to separate English and Japanese.

I'm not putting on their accent.

is there an easy website/program to use on my phone for stroke order? either with step by step or animation.
i'm doing well with hiragana recognition, but for actual writing of the characters i'm pretty lost. it probably doesn't help that my english handwriting is an unreadable mess already.

I use this Anki addon to add stroke diagrams to my Anki cards:
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1964372878

It uses KanjiVG, you can also use it online:
kanjivg.tagaini.net/viewer.html
I find this colored and numbered approach much more usable than watching the same slow as shit animation again and again. But if you like that, you can use jisho, just write #kanji after the query, like:
jisho.org/search/間 #kanji

This is an actual hick dialect:

よくいらっしゃいましたね > よぐござたなっす'
どこに行くのですか? > どさいぐなやっす?
こんなものいらない > こだなものいらね
これいいですよ!買って下さいよ > こいずいいよっす!かってがっしゃい
これいくらですか? > けんなんぼやっす?
そうでしょ? >  んだべっす?

Since it's almost like a different language, instead you just see bits of it peppered in dialogue, like the だべ bullshit. If you ever see a character saying shit like that, there's your hick accent.

jvnet.or.jp/~badz9005/tendo/hougen.htm

How hard is to find a cute shrine maiden and date her to inherit the shrine and live a peaceful but fulfilling life?

plus, you think they would let a gaijin inherit a shrine?

Out of curiosity are you guys pretty much fluent in listening, maybe even speaking, to Japanese before you're literate? Or do you sort of knock both of them out by studying your decks and stuff? I've been eyeing these threads ever since halfchan many years ago but never thought I could do it. I kinda want to start though before I get too old to be unable to learn a new language as easily. I'm 27 now and so I think it's best if I started now than constantly putting it off due to thinking I'm just too lazy and worthless to accomplish something as monumental as learning a new language.

I've never spoken to a Japanese person before, though it's not like I had ever planned to when I started learning. I only learned for my vidya. also I am older than you, so don't think you are too old

Vidya's my reason too
Also I meant listening/speaking Japanese, ignore the "to"
I don't think I'm too old, just don't want to keep putting it off until I am.

Oh, well my listening comprehension isn't up to the same level as my reading, but it's getting there. It mostly depends on how you practice; if you practice with games/manga you will improve your reading faster, if you practice with anime you will improve your listening faster, if you practice with real people you will improve your listening/speaking faster, etc.

It's probably easiest to start with reading.

I think the different dialects are interesting. Wish I'd see some more of them in different media and in less simplified manner.

How would anyone even begin to learn these? Jisho/rikaikun don't recognize anything about these. I only knew beforehand that っす is basically です.

natives.

Listening is the hardest part imo. Japanese tend to speak fast, omit things, etc.
I have only talked to streamers.

Japanese resources. You should probably have a good grasp on standard before going for another dialect in most cases. Even as you're still learning standard you should start using a Japanese dictionary once you're able to. Here's one site that while not all encompassing has explanations for a lot of words from some different dialects: weblio.jp/category/dialect/hkdhj

Why japanese try to help with kanji by writing the kana in between kanji and okurigana? Like 食(た)べる That makes no sense:
1. reading is different depending okurigana, seeing something between them just annoys me
2. rikaikun etc can't now read the word
3. if you don't recognize the kanji from other words, you want to check it from jisho.org or equivalent so you have to erase the part in parenthesis anyway.
4. this happens even with hard and "hard" words/grammar, even when everyone suggest people to drop assisting as early as possible, like furigana.

AB has had applications open for the past few days if anyone wants to try getting in. You can get stuff for practice.

I try to balance my reading comprehension and verbal fluency at the same time, but the former is always several steps ahead. I do have experience speaking with native Japanese while being accompanied by a friend who can't seem to read any Kanji. Whenever both of us do talk to any Japanese, they never fail to praise our fluency on the language which can be perceived as an insult seeing as they don't seem do that with people much more fluent in Japanese, which hints that their praises aren't genuine
As a reference, I've passed a Mock N3 test with ~75% score, if I remember correctly.

Because actually writing the reading aids on top of the kanji is a daunting, if not impossible on any programs that do not provide features comparable with ones in a professional word processor.

But they could write the kana after okurigana or just not write it at all. Did you even read my post?

Studying the Core deck will make you good at reading and listening. The Core deck has audio clips and numerous example sentences, so by the time you're done with it, you should be comfortable with reading basic sentences.

Speaking is different, you sort of have to train your mouth to make the appropriate sounds, otherwise you will sound unnatural. Also, everyday, conversational language is very light on words, so you will probably get to a point where you can converse with a native very early on in your development. However, relying on basic words and phrases to get by is kind of a pitfall, in the sense that it's still important to develop a large level of comprehension to truly engage with the language.

Just do it, the best advice I can give is that you should be persistent. Study every day. No, I am not fluent yet, but over the past year I have learned at lot, and I'm at a point now where I catch myself trying to resolve certain phrases that I want to say in my head. Meaning, I have all the words available, and my mind blurts out this string of language, and I have to stop and think, "Is this grammatically correct? Would this make sense?" which is an indication to me that I am making good progress.

I told myself I would learn jap this year and did jack shit.
And I'm the one that uploaded genki that's provided in the op
I can't learn Japanese

what did you do user?

do it, faggot

Not with that attitude.

Just replace shitposting or video games with studying Japanese. You gotta make a trade off with one of those things. Shit, I'm at work right now getting my anki done because Japanese is more important to me than this shitty job.

Pretty much this. If you want to get anywhere near semi competent at a decent rate you need to pretty much focus on it
I'm actually getting shit from my IRL friends for spending too much time studying

This is pretty good advice. The only times in my life where I have really made significant and transformative progress in anything were periods where friends and family thought there was something wrong because how preoccupied or withdrawn I seemed. You have to be willing to sink all your time into something, and in order to do that you have to really want it.

Not that I am fluent in Japanese or anything. I just started a month ago.

You don't really have to spend a lot of time studying Japanese though. Like 30-60 minutes a day in Anki is plenty. The real meat of your learning will be in practice, by playing games and shit.

Reminder: Don't just fucking grind Anki, take time to practice grammar regularly too. I didn't study grammar for 5 months and I didn't realize how horrible I was at it, I even forgot what the 「な」 adjective was used for.

I was hoping for it. I just want to live a peaceful life taking care of a shrine. I've heard shrines usually have really nice bathrooms, I'm particularly interested in the baths.

But I knew that it wasn't going to be that easy, specially for me. Just take the time you need to do it, faggot, and keep doing it. Even if you're not good at it, you will eventually get the gist of it even by fucking force.
Also, Genki is shit, study with Tae Kim like a real man.

Can relate. My family thought I was going crazy when I started to repeat Anki examples out loud. I was self-conscious at first, but now I just don't give a fuck. I also choose to skip hanging with friends in order to study, among other activities needed for my personal growth.

Also, embed related is why I like the idea so much.

Any game with basic japanese to practice that isn't kana soup-tier? I'm playing Castlevania games in Japanese, and they usually have uncommon, even advanced Kanji.

I started with Breath of Fire 3, that was pretty simple I think.

It's from Episode 23.

Go home science denier

I'm just wondering, what do your guys' anki cards look like? I'm not talking about stats or core2k. I'm talking about the actual front and back of cards that you yourselves have made. At first I would just crop out a panel with a dialogue string about 10 or 20 characters long with an unfamiliar word. I would paste that panel into its own field and then the back would reveal the reading of the sentence in kana under it. Recently though I've began incorporating some recall into my cards by making one word a cloze deletion that I will actually have to write from memory (usually two kanji) plus using recognition to read the whole sentence. Next, I'll paste a little visual clue (they look like reaction faces, no kanji) because cards without images are depressing. Then the back would reveal the cloze deletion and the reading of the card in kana under the image. Do you guys do something like this?

I haven't made any myself, I just use pre-made decks.

I've subscribed to the "learn how to say 10'000 sentences" approach.

Side 1 is English and side 2 is the translation. Nothing fancy.

Objectively shit. I really hope that isn't how you study grammar too, science denier chan

Thanks cunt, have this.

Of course it's how I study grammar, I've remembered a lot more than before I started using this method wrong person fam

No it wasn't, I meant that method has been scientifically demonstrated to be shit, unless you're an underageban.

Explain. I don't see how building up a framework of known sentence patterns and being able to remember them as a bad thing.

You should start making your own, man. You'll remember them better because they are more personal to you. I use FastStone Image Viewer so I can read manga and crop stuff at the same time. You just crop whatever characters face is in the panel and then make the file name the dialogue the character is either saying or reacting to (this way you can just copy the dialogue and paste into its own field after you add the image to the card). You paste the dialogue above the image and then highlight the word you want to recall with ctrl+shift+C. After you do that, you make another field under the image and type the whole dialogue in kana that shows up on the back. You crop while holding ctrl by the way.

Learning by context is not as effective as learning with explicit ruled for anyone who's postpubescent.
unless you conflated the terms 'learn' and 'practice', I which case you mind the difference between them

user, what the fuck do you think these cards are?

"10000 sentences with the English translation on the back" like you said in

I really don't get your point.

Comparing sentences to learn grammar is ineffective, and it's what you say you are doing.

Have you actively learned anything in your life? Do you actually know how to study?

You learn by repetition, by working with and reusing the material you have until your familiar with it and you can understand it.

I don't know what your goals are but mine are to be able to speak the language and to that end, verbal repetition is the key.

No, you learn by applying the same rules to form different sentences until you can effortlessly use them productively to form original sentences from the constituent parts. The only thing you need pure repetition for is lexical items to have the vocabulary to use the grammar on.
And yes, ya he aprendido una lengua segunda por este método

So…would you say that you would first learn a framework of sentences as a basis for all future sentences? hurr durr

No. I learned grammar rules like word order, internalized them, and used them to productively create new sentences. But I never looked at any particular sentence and said "this is my guide for all sentences that have these specific elements". The closest I could say that I've come to that is that grammar guides give examples next to them to demonstrate what they're talking about, but I don't think I've ever had to return to those specific sentences after looking at them once to clear up confusion. Most of the time I don't even need to read those because the wording of the rule is fine.

kana flashcards first. Genki 1+2 and its coresponding Anki cards everybday.

I'm not going to make thousands of cards myself.

Any good App to use along Anki to search Kanji meaning? I used Kanji study but it's giving me a bit of a trouble when I pirate the full version with Lucky Patcher.

Just use jisho?

Other than Jisho. I have the app, and I don't particularly like it that much, specially compared with Kanji Study.

Started playing Criminal Girls. Seems like a pretty fun RPG, so I'm glad I can play it without NISA's ridiculous changes.

More like "Tales from the Ranch - Dear Friends from 3 Towns". Who the hell even translates this crap…

You're barking up the wrong tree mate. Nobody hear wants to learn how to speak Japanese. They are a bunch of social rejects that just want to learn how to read so they can play VNs and jerk off to them.

Yeah they are laughing at you like most people would laugh at a monkey doing a trick.

Not a hick accent, literally standard Japanese with a little Osaka pronunciations added.

Quick, what's the best Kamen Rider?

The Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe dialects are quite different from each other, especially when it comes to certain phrases and intonation.

Renzo is probably the best, when that fails me Imiwa is not that bad either and has a more complex radical search feature.

Yet every hack translator all render them as sounding like severely inbred southerners because they are lazy cunts, and even then can't even do the banjo twang accent properly despite it being cliche at this point.
For fucks sake the world is full of accents to use

How would you translate them, user? I don't think there's an specific way of translating them even when I do agree with making them sound like inbreeds is retarded.
I kind of think that instead of translating it, you can look for an accent with a personality that fits, but that sounds even harder and people would be as mad anyway, which is why we are all trying to learn nip.

Go back to your bars, faggot.

Additionally, the reason why I believe Kansai accent is associated with hillbillies is because Kyoto is pretty much the "heartland" of Japan, and it mostly consist on rural ways of thinking.

In any particular order Original, Stronger, Black, Kabuto and Den-O

バンプ~

It's age you nig.
Age and sage.

The age of those characters?

Do your reps every day user.

I have some questions about the dependent-clause+に construction

「下げ」の対義語は___
Fill in the blanks.

Probably not since the implication that there are 2 different subjects might not be properly conveyed.
I find this structure confusing. 「うちにメアリさんが」might also mean that Mary is already in the house.
I would render your sentence as 「メアリさんがうちに来るために私は帰りました。」

「下げ」の対義語は「バンプ~」

How do you guys juggle learning japanese and college/work? Assuming not all of you are neets of course. I ended up giving up on the anki set this thread provided because it was too much shit on a daily basis, now I just do duolingo which is probably much worse.

I dunno about the Anki set from the OP, but I have three decks and they only take me about 40 minutes a day. Maybe you just had too many new cards per day if it became too much.

I spend nearly half of my holidays reading Japanese texts; comics, newspapers, internet articles etc alongside dictionaries and grammar guides.
By the way, If you're studying in any STEM-related major, I suggest to study only after graduation. I have a blurry picture on how busy those people are. It would be best to avoid turning Japanese studies into another daily chore for someone busy with college work. If you do have spare time, make the learning process fun.

I couldn't imagine learning this when I was in school, unless it was one of my classes. If you have school and work, you may just be too busy to make a serious effort right now. I just work full time now and have plenty of study time, and even study/practice at work when I can.

If you have time for duolingo, you should have the time for anki though. Set your new cards to a manageable number, like 10, and spread new/review cards out throughout the day if needed. I have not heard good things about duolingo for Japanese, so you're probably better off on making the better trusted methods work with your schedule if you want to learn right now.

Usually it looks like this:

Oh, and if I don't have any homework, or when I'm on break like now, I do one lesson and the practice for it right after, then I take some extra time to practice vocab.

Is there a way to know how many words I've learned? I've got 576 Core2k cards down, but I realize those don't translate directly to words, since there are multiples. Do I divide that number by something?

I will never learn japanese and there's no way you can make me

do it

no

Let's try:

リンネ:
フランクおじさん、
ベッドありがとう!
すっごくフカフカだっだよ
Uncle Frank, thanks for the bed! It was super fluffy.

フランク
そりゃあよかった。
またいつでもおいで。
今度はオレのピザでもごちそうするよ。
That's good to hear, feel free to come back.
Next time, try my pizza.

do it

gj user

Alright, I guess I'm going to start learning Japanese. There's gotta be something better to do in my free time than masturbating and pretending that I play video games. Maybe someday I will be able to read Japanese as I jerk off and pretend to play Japanese video games.
Wish me luck fags, about to download user's package.

That pic says 87.5% male

He'll treat her to some of his pizza (or something.)

I have no idea how the hell do you guys do that. For me even a constant amount of 5 new cards is too much and results in 60+ min review times per day.
or at least not in the next 10 years

So then make that your goal. You don't plan to be dead by then do you?

How are you studying?

We Kansai-ben now?

A toss up between Ichigo, Black/RX, and Stronger

Don't stop doing your reps operationrainfall.com/2017/12/23/fakku-now-selling-hentai-games/

Fuck off, Jew shill.

I think he means that because there's going to be shitty (((localizations))) you should keep practicing to avoid that shit

バンプ~

doing the reps in anki every day

Almost forgot my reps yesterday and broke my 2+ year streak. Criminal Girls is too fun that I lost track of time

Really? Played the original on PSP and the combat system seemed really terrible, does it improve later?

It does get better when you have more characters and skills unlocked, but the battle system is pretty low on my priority for JRPGs. I mainly like the characters.

Ah, for me, JRPGs are mostly about the combat and leveling systems, followed up by music, then characters/story at a third.

What I've found useful is to make studying Japanese the first thing I do in the day. Before finals, I usually had my Anki deck done by 6:30, and if that's the only thing I got I done as far as Japanese was concerned, I was happy. I've also gotten to a point where I can read basic stuff with help from a dictionary, so I like to read a little before class, which I've found really helps with memorization.

Since I'm now recovering from finals, I now have a little more time to dedicate to studying, which is really nice. Throughout November, I dropped my new word count in Anki to just a single word a day. Before, I was doing 10 words, and that was mostly manageable, but the last few weeks of intense classes really demanded a lot of time from me. I almost considered giving up, but by that point I had already gotten about 750 words matured, which was just too much to quit on. I'm glad I didn't quit, even if I haven't learned many new words in a month.

It gets a lot easier when you finish your decks and start reading. Then you just have a little bit of easy Anki review every day, and you can just play games in your free time to continue learning.

What do you anons think, what is the minimal amount of words I should learn before trying to read something? I tried it a few years ago, but I only knew at most 1000 words (but probably less) at that time, and it was a nightmare, having to look up every second word. I just gave up.
But I should try it sometime again. Especially now that I'm about to finish my studies and I'll probably go working full-time soon, so I'll likely have much less free time…

Looking up every second word is HOW I built my vocabulary - it's a lot easier to remember words when there's a context you're interested in.

That didn't really work for me. I mean I looked up that unknown word, okay, move on, in the next line there's a new unknown word, let's look it up… hey, I just checked this word a minute ago and I already forgot it. And so on, even if I looked up a word a hundred times, I just didn't learn it. I only learnt something if I added it to an Anki deck and grinded it for weeks.

If you don't want to look up words every 30 seconds then you should at least finish the core 6k deck. Keep in mind that you will still have to look up words pretty often even with that much vocab though.

That will be 2 years in optimal case, 8 years in less than optimal case. I'll have to lower my expectations, I won't learn Japanese in the next 20 years.

Should I buy a physical Japanese-only dictionary or are they going to be useless as time goes on?

Sounds like a nightmare to use.

cellphone + jisho.org = probably the best thing you can use

Reason I ask is because I like to actually own something to read in case of a blackout. I'm also tired of seeing publishers cutting portions of content & repackaging them as separate volumes, which is why I have my eye on the Kojien.

O-oh…

Wheres a good place to read detective conan in japenese? I've had no luck so far.

manga-zip.net/archives/191871.html
Here you go. Have a Merry Christmas.

メリークリスマス!
you still have to do your reps today though

1000 can be enough to start reading. You'd probably want to stick to easier manga and stuff rather than going for novels right away though. No matter what you're going to have to look up a lot of stuff as a beginning reader, even if you were to finish the core first. It sounds like you're having a more difficult time than what I think to be normal committing vocabulary to memory. If you were to answer a bit more in detail maybe someone could critique your study process to potentially help boost memorization and shave some time off those daily reviews.

Unless you're thinking you're going to go long periods of time without power, I wouldn't bother. You can get a dictionary app for your phone or a tablet that will probably more than last you for your average power outage. But even if your batteries are dead, it would be a lot easier to just jot down unknown words and look them up later when the power's back on or forgo it entirely and just go off of the context.

I know it's kind of silly, but for the past few days I've decided to get a little creative and turn my daily kanji reps into a Christmas tree.
メリークリスマス!!

Thank you, merry christmas user.

Theres nothing silly about that man, looks cool.

Thanks man.

Maybe I'll try yotubato again, I think I read the first two chapters this summer, but then something happened and I forgot about it…

What should I tell about studying? I have a deck with the words from core 6k + minna no nihongo + some random shit I thought it may be useful. I managed to get stellar results today, see pic related…

I meant whether you're writing out every word you review and/or other information, reciting words or example sentences, forming a sentence with each word, by what criteria do you mark cards as again, hard, good or easy and other stuff like that. The process you go through with each card. Have you tried out various approaches to reviewing cards to see if they might work better for you? 402 in 62 minutes doesn't really seem an awful pace to me so you're probably not wasting too much time unnecessarily during reviews, but I wouldn't really expect that many reviews when you said 5 new a day was a difficult pace to keep. I do see that your relearn count is high and I'm not too sure what an okay number for the others would be.

That's pretty cool user. メリークリスマス everyone.

If you are having trouble remembering words you could try writing them out, making mnemonics, or learning more about individual kanji to help. Finding easy reading material like Yotsubato! helps a lot too even if you can't read much of it since you'll get to see the words in action and create a deeper connection to them then just a flash card can provide. I find music helps a lot for me too.

any of you guys order stuff from Japan via DHL? Is it normal for the city and state it's being delivered to being on the shipment info several times, or will that potentially mess it up? Got some untranslated mango's coming in I was hoping to use to test my kanji/katakana skills.

Very festive. (≧∇≦)b

Also mind if I use that for the OP of the next thread?

How much can you uderstand if you learn only the top 100 most used japanese verbs first?

Not much.

tbh I was pretty distracted yesterday, here's today's stats… I stopped adding new cards a few days ago because things started to get out of hand, looks like it's starting to normalize a bit.

A card is hard if I can't figure out the reading or I have to think a lot, easy if I know the answer as soon as I see the word, and good is in the other cases. I usually read the example sentence the first few times, but I tend to stop doing that after seeing the same card a millionth time.

I've added a field to type in the answer on recall cards. I also have a kanji deck with individual kanji and their meaning. That helps sometimes. (And sometimes I'm just retarded, like trying to remember the difference between 矢失午牛 or 敗販).
Music, I don't know, I haven't tried it. But it problematic to understand that even in my native language sometimes, so I'm not sure.

I'd forgotten how awesome these cut-in quotes were.

I'm just using whatever the default on PPSSPP is, what should I do to fix it?

Turn off bilinear filtering and use native res.

Didn't see anything called bilinear filtering, closest I found was linear filtering under Screen Scaling Filter, so I tried switching that to Nearest and went back to 1x size.

I don't remember the exact setting, but the portraits should look like this, not all blurry.

I think this got it?

Awesome, turns out it was Texture Filtering, which was set to Auto, switched that to Nearest and that fixed it.

To keep things on topic, these are from earlier when I still had the filter on, so apologies for that, but the text should still be readable.

I haven't played the Japanese version yet, but I remember the English PS1 incantations were often poorly translated. I can see why.

They do have that uniquely Japanese hissatsuwaza feel to them that isn't that hard to understand, but can be a bitch to capture in English.

I'll take a crack at giving that line a ghetto tier localization 'cause black is beautiful.
ヒトミ
「岩砕き、骸崩す、地に潜む者たち
集いて赤き炎となれ! ファイア!
Shaniqua
"Ayy yo all yall rock smashin' bone breakin' niggas who be lurkin' in da earth, gather and form a red flame n shiiet! Fire!"

魔女ちゃまは俺の可愛いペットだ

Am I suppose to be hitting again most of the cards?
Also, anyone here review vocab mostly on their phone?

What are some good fun shows to watch?
I mean live shows with real people, not animus.
I need to get better at listening.

Showa era Kamen Riders

Thanks!

Go ahead, I don't mind.

Hey moonspeakers, to make a long story short, can you guys help me rename these folders, and tell me what shows they are and if I should delete them?

This one you can actually read.

Starting from the set after "VIDEO"

Ano Hi Mita Hana No Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
Amagami
Ochinko (this is just a word that means penis, so it's probably porn)
Kore wa Zombie Desuka?
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
Marihori
Ore Imouto
Suzumiya Shoushitsu
Kaminomizo Shiru Sekai
Kamisama no Memochou
Hanasaku Iroha
Denpa Onna
Ao Oni

Not familiar with any of these though, so you'll have to ask someone else for details.

Infinite Stratos
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
Amagami
Ochinko
Kore wa Zombie desu ka?
Higurashi no Naku koro ni
Higurashi no Naku koro ni Kai
Marihori
Oreimo
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Kamisama no Memochou
Hanasaku Iroha
Denpa Onna
Ao Oni

Thanks guys. Has anyone used that book I uploaded to Vola yet? I'm the guy that accidentally started uploading all of Filezilla. I can upload it again if needed, as a thanks.

Guys what the fuck does this say.
all I'm getting is "nicely"

Is it
きんりよく??

きんりょく、筋力
Muscles

Japanese is becoming too difficult

Just remember that half-size kana exist is all. Also, think about context - for a fighting monster, muscle power is a sensible stat.

What about this one?

Why don't you use a dictionary?
jisho.org/search/どりょく

I'm fairly sure it says effort but. I'm not sure how to translate it as such

Well as you might guess, again, from context, it's once again りょく=力. In this case, it's 努力, which is a word you should know from Gunbuster to begin with, and which you can translate as "hard work" or "effort"

人はペットなんかじゃないよ。あんた頭イカレテンのか。

でも、彼女はペット餌が好き

自分で食う訳が無かろう、単細胞さん。
ペット扱いはだめったらありゃしない

どうかなぁ、結構馬鹿らしい。

I'll try it, thanks.

These children are in danger.

Still pretty good list though, the original konbi is still my favorite.

What kind of stuff are you into? There are plenty of dramas, television movies, talk shows, variety shows, etc. - pick a topic and I'll give you a rec.

Well it's probably because they are unfamiliar with regional dialects, or they just follow what has been done in the past. It's also true that most people from Tokyo consider anyone that is not from Tokyo a redneck. Also consider that most translators, especially now, only know that other people in the US exist because of movies and the internet - they have never left their liberal cities and actually interacted with anyone outside of that place for an extended period of time both in their own country and in Japan. Unfortunately, this is also the case with a lot of games even in their native Japanese - you have the stereotypical Kansai character that follows a set grammatical formula that they use for most entertainment. If you watch enough movies, TV and anime you notice that each type of character has a specific was of speaking : young boy, young girl, teenagers, old men, older women, high school girls, even jidaigeki- they all follow this specific pattern that doesn't really match with the real life thing. Watch the video for an example. The guy talking most of the time is like is what real Osaka-ben sounds like (when he's not reading from the card) but the girl in the middle is trying to use the stereotypical version (even though she is actually from Kansai). If you can catch it, the guy actually says that for him, and its implied other people like him, move from Kansai to Tokyo and they hide their accent because it's considered rural and unintelligent, and the less you use it you forget it, but sometimes it slips out.

Sorry baby didn't mean to invade your safe space.

You talk shit about me all the time, but you should spend less time worrying about me and more time studying. You should really watch some TV talk shows and hear some natural conversation, cause you make absolutely no sense.

I don't know. I don't watch TV shows to begin with, so I have no clue what's out there.
Arino's challenge is great, but that's because it has video games and the atmosphere present in the show itself is very comfy.

If you could throw some titles my way, I could look into them and see which ones I like.

Amazon and V3 are great, but that fucking leather crack when Minami Koutarou clenches his fists before henshining into Black is the best thing, and I'm a sucker for heroic entrance speeches like 「天が呼ぶ!地が呼ぶ!人が呼ぶ!」

That's because most people from Tokyo are douchebags who stand on the wrong side of the escalator.

Do you like food? Check out めしばな刑事タチバナ (Meshibana Deka Tachibana) 孤独のグルメ (Kudoku no Gurume) 深夜食堂 (Shinya Shokudo) are all pretty good. These are all TV dramas, but they are all really good and super comfy, ESPECIALLY if you like Japanese food. I swear I droll like a dog every time I watch one of these shows (and that's not just because of Tomomi-chan's legs). If I don't get back to you again by the time thread hits it limit/a new one is made, just say which one you watched and if you liked it so I can recommend other stuff.

I love all of them until they tried to remake the original one - most of the heisei kamen rider I don't care for. My friend and I were watching all the intros throughout the ages of Kamen Raider and it's so great once you jump into the 80s the mood and music changes so drastically. Here is a video of all the Kamen Rider OPs if you or anyone else wants to watch it. This is always on my workout playlist.

Most of the people that live in Tokyo either they or their parents are transplants from other areas so they can fuck off.

The First was pretty awful, yeah, even if it did skim a bit closer in tone to The Skull Man.

Crap forgot the video…

All right then, thanks.
I'll look into them as well.

Oh Toei, you miserable assholes

so what's a good "study order"? I'm thinking of starting with Genki 1 & 2 first.

I tried to learn nipponese a long time ago but was a fool and used Rosetta stone. Once they took off the training wheels I had no idea what I was doing.

"ふ" is "hu" but it can be pronounced as "pu" so it's romanized as "fu"

There are four major aspects to learning a language:
1. Reading
2. Writing
3. Speaking and listening
4. Comprehension
Doing any of the first three will aid your ability to comprehend the language, so the fourth aspect sort of just comes with time. In order to acquire any of the previously mentioned skills, you must cultivate a large vocabulary and an intricate understanding of the language's grammar. Both of these tasks are quite daunting, and it will be an arduous trek through dictionaries and flash cards and guides before you can get to a point where your comprehension has developed enough to engage with native media without a crutch. Until that time, every effort should be made to build up these essential frameworks. This is why Core2K/6k + Anki combo are recommended. Anki is spaced repetition, so it will drill the words in the Core deck into your head, which will begin the process of facilitating a foundation.

Point is, there's no simple answer for what you're asking. You should study grammar and vocabulary. Learn words and use those words to make sentences, and then study the language's syntax. When you're not doing those things, you should be engaging with media of some kind. You should try to read your favorite manga or watch your favorite anime in native Japanese and without any aids like English subtitles. If you can, it would benefit you to find a native speaker with whom you can develop conversational skills. Aside from these things, there are plenty of other minor aspects to consider. Are you pronouncing morae correctly? Your mouth is an instrument, and you have to learn how to "tune" it to the language's nuances so that you don't sound stiff and unnatural. How's your listening ability? Can you reliably distinguish words in speech that is intended to be consumed by native speakers? How's your basic reading ability? Are you confident that you can recognize and recite every single Kana character? What about Kanji? How's your stroke order? Can you reproduce any of the Kanji you've learned thus far without looking at an aid? The point is that you should

CONSTANTLY REFINE YOUR SKILLS

There are numerous techniques that you can use to aid your advancement in these categories, you just need to find what works for you. Some people use mnemonics to help them remember words. Some people use a metronome to practice speaking words and syllables. Some people study concepts like pitch accent or general linguistic concepts like "word sense". Some people are more visually oriented, and learn better through visual exercises. Some people need a classroom setting in order to succeed.

tl;dr FIFTY TIMES IN YOUR NOTEBOOK BITCH DRINK BEER

that was extremely informative. Really, I'd be happy with just reading, but there are some untranslated toku's it would be nice to be able to watch. Guess I'll start with the core2k/6k/Aniki, supplement it with genki, and go from there. As for reading untranslated mangas getting these is what's giving me a big push in trying to learn Japanese again.

Thank you for the help.

holy cow, using Aniki is way better than Rosetta right off the bat which is ridiculous considering how much Rosetta costs.

Ackshually, nipponese "f" isn't even a labiodental fricative.

Rosetta is generally sold to corporations as a replacement to immersion learning and generally focuses on making connections to specific words something like this
It's a really superficial replacement to immersion but they can sell it to corporations on a subscription which looks cheaper initially than having a foreign branch, hiring a professional, or sending your employee or employees to the foreign country for a few months to a year.
This is also why it's a general bad learning practice to think something like
It does technically make the association but if you get into that practice you'll essentially be thinking back and forth in translations when you try to read, converse, game, etc.

I'm learning the kana and kept forgetting ふ because I remember it as "fu" and the Anki pronounces it as "hu". Wikipedo has a pronunciation audio file that says "pu", which is why I made that post.
I made a shitty webm, it repeats too fast in my player but I thought it was funny so here you go

Pretty sure it is always "fu". It is just part of the ha vertical.
And "pu" should be ぷ.
That's just some gaijin fuckery probably.

that is exactly what happened with me, and like I said, once the training wheels were taken off I realized just how little I actually learned. I could put a word with a thing but couldn't read or speak it, nor receive it when spoken with any sort of fluency.

Feels like Aniki sort of naturally let's you figure this shit out for yourself instead of spoon feeding it to you.

It's not pronounced like you would pronounce "fu" in English though, with your bottom teeth touching your top lip. It's more like "hu".

I mean your bottom lip.

And next you will tell me ん can be read as both "n" and "m", even though I still have to meet a Japanese person irl that agrees with that bogus claim.

why are there two pronunciations for 4 and 7?

The only difference between "n" and "m" is whether you have your lips closed or not. That's why it sounds like "m" when followed by a sound that makes you close your lips, like ぷ.

You're hearing it wrong, it's a normal ふ sound. Whether it's fu or hu doesn't really matter, it's just a romanization and you could write it either way depending on which system you use.

Japanese and Chinese readings; kunyomi and onyomi. It's not just 4 and 7 that have multiple readings, they just use readings differently than other numbers sometimes. The reason the kunyomi is used for them a lot of the time where onyomi is for other numbers is both to prevent confusion (し、しち、いち can be mistaken pretty easily) and because the word 死, death, is also pronounced し like 4, so it's kind of ill-omened and could maybe be mistaken as well in some instances.

gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Thought the software was glitched at first.

You can, you just need a motivation, and if you're in love with video games enough to be here in the first place, you've got that in spades.

Fucking Americans, stop pushing for stupid shit.

Nigga, hiragana is like the easiest part of the language. Stop bitching and just start already.

Doesn't seem like it matters to much so long as you got the sound right off listening to the pronunciation. I mean, the letters don't directly translate over so there is no p that makes a "puh" sound.

you can do it, user :3

I know I should have expected to see porn of that slut one day, but I am still surprised.

あー ちがう!
"なにもできない" と云うください!
ここは日本語だぜ.

/h/ has two allophones. You can say it like sometimes with a "hard" h sound, like the example given in pic related. If it's not like that, then it's basically a devoiced う sound that is pushed out of the mouth with a press of air. It's called a voiceless bilabial fricative, and you basically make the "whew" sound that people sometimes make when they're exasperated. There's a subtle nuance, but it's there. See video for practice:
youtube.com/watch?v=ERfSMiksSHA

When reading, do you think about the pronunciation of a word/kanji? Or do you just recognize the meaning and move on? I feel like I tend to slow myself down and try to remember the readings of everything even when I could just keep going since I know what it means anyway, and I'm not sure if this is worthwhile or not. It kinda seems like wasting the potential benefits of the kanji by worrying about the reading.

Of course.

It's Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns. Harvest Moon is now called Story of Seasons by the way (English translators kept the rights to the name "Harvest Moon").

This is why we just stick to the actual series name, Bokujou Monogatari

I already answered him, but Mark went crazy the other day and ended up deleting most of my posts by accident.

Yeah, I ordered the pure copy.

Once again, thank you very much.

Everytime I see a shogi pawn, I'm reminded of that cuck that went on about Persona 5 having shit translation because と means と and not pawn.
Or some dumb shit like that.

I can only imagine what the game would have been like if someone like him had gotten the reigns.

The names of pieces in shogi are, in a sense, proper nouns, so they're not really something you can translate. Same with chess pieces into Japanese, they don't "translate" the King into the 王様 piece, they just call it the キング.

That said, if that's the ONLY thing Purseowner 5 fucked up in it's (((localization))) I'd be genuinely surprised, considering these are the same chucklefucks that gave us pic related.

medium.com/@mombot/the-kotaku-article-regarding-persona-5s-localization-and-the-source-which-it-cites-are-false-e91d46617fc8

Can't say I'm surprised. Not that I expect to ever play Persona 3 Part 4, and certainly not in English, but fucking hell I hate how so many of these faggots insist on "sprucing up" the "dull and boring generic Japanese."

I wish Mombot was my mom.

That was 20 years ago and they reversed all of that shit in the remake they aren't the same Atlus. Granted new Atlus is by no means perfect.

There is some bullshit in Persona 5 but it is at least a little more forgivable because of the setting. A modern teenager talking in memes is at least believable over a med-evil soldier or someone in the far-flung future. Persona 5 still had some grammatical errors as well. However I don't get that feeling of contempt for their audience or the subject matter like what is seen from a lot of other localizers. Modern Atlus seems like one of the good guys who should be made better by criticism instead of trying to burn them down like NISA. However localization will never be the ideal solution and it's why I'm on this thread in the first place.

I want to be done with the kanji, man. I get that knowing the likely pronunciation of words is important, but it's a drag thinking about the fact that I could be twice as far ahead on general vocab and comprehension if I wasn't spending the time on kanji. A thread or two back, someone mentioned that it mostly wasn't worth focusing on kanji beyond the most common few hundred or so. Is that correct? How many should I stop at?

Also, how hard/time consuming is it to get into romhacking? Some of my favorite games have shit-tier translations, and I'd like to fix them some day, if possible. Pic related.

How are you studying kanji?

It's just the KanjiDamage Reordered deck.

I mean are you studying meaning, reading, writing? Make sure you don't study the reading for each kanji.

I'm just doing the flashcards, which are the readings. Why would I not study the readings?

I've only ever played Purseowner 3 in English, but the "Stupei, ace defective" thing has always stuck in my head. I figure the ace defective part is how they decided to translate a 迷探偵 joke, but I've always wondered if the Stupei part was added outright by the translators or if there was something else to that part in the original. Not enough to replay the thing in Japanese though.

What is the equivalent of Sesame Street in Japan? Would it he Hello Kitty?

I figure it might do some good to watch an untranslated children's program that beat kanji or hiragana into my head for some downtime studies.

You learn those easier through vocab.

You can find a let's play if you search ペルソナ3 実況 on youtube. I don't remember how far into the game that was.

She probably combined some sort of insult with his name which is pretty common in anime. I think it's just one of those things that when translated looks forced and bad.

You don't have to. The in-game date is always at the top right corner of the screen. 5/30.

Duh. Found it.
youtu.be/WTNA3NxNBgk?list=PLCpkagOK2EdMdi53pNiauJih5yfZGd1O9&t=1497

He doesn't call himself a detective at all, but rather お手上げ侍, and Yukari just calls him stupid without any puns.

Not surprising, (((localization companies))) are staffed almost entirely by liberal arts majors who only got the job because their dad is friends with the HR head, and if you're lucky maybe one person in the company can read some Hiragana.

That's why we have this thread, after all.

I suppose I should have expected that. ありがとう、迷探偵さん

It would depend a lot on the original wording, and how well you can find an equivalent in the translated language. As a random example, I've not a clue what the original is (one day…) but the translation originally tried for "Admirawful" which isn't nearly as good as this.

Alternatively it can be dumbassery like this.

NO MEANS NO.

I honestly have no clue what サイテートク is supposed to mean, but the rest is accurately translated, save for that the second bubble in japanese says "Hey!" rather than "what did you call me?" which is a negligible difference.

ん's pronunciation varies wildly depending on what's around it.

If you don't know the word, you don't know the word. If you are encountering a combination of kanji you've never seen before, you do not know the word. You can't just say "oh I know the kanji, therefore I know what this means"because it can be extremely misleading.

It's pun combining 最低 さいてい and 提督 ていとく

あけおめ、皆の衆

I meant specifically if you don't remember the reading of a word you already know, not guessing the meaning of new ones.
Like if you had this sentence: じゃあ、二人だけの秘密だね!?
What if you know the meaning of 秘密 but forget the reading is ひみつ? Would you stop and try to remember that, or just keep reading since you know what the word means anyway?

When that happens I usually will check the reading, but if I remember the reading of a compound I'll read it in japanese. The goal is to understand japanese, not be able to understand the english meaning of japanese sentences.

hey anons
i apologize if this is a little off topic, but seeing as you guys all study kanji on a daily basis, i figure its a good place to ask.

my buddy is trying to learn some simple mandarin. now as i understand it, kanji ARE essentially just repurposed chinese characters with japped out pronunciation. he was looking for an online resource to be able to look up what some of the simpler ones, and the radicals mean so that he can start understanding (or atleast make educated guesses) as to what they mean. do any of you know any online resources to try and make heads or tails of chinese characters? hes not really worried about trying to pronounce it or understand the grammer etc, he just wants to try and comprehend a little about what is written.

if anyone out there knows of a site that can assist in this, let me know. thanks anons

I have been trying to find this kanji for a while now. I'm not sure, but I think the first one is 「揺」 and I have no idea what the second could be. Any ideas?

Basically everything you could ask for is in the OP. KanjiVG, KanjiDamage, Jisho.org, Kanji-Link, and the Kodansha Kanji deck are all good to use. You basically want any online dictionary that has a "search by radical" option. However, these resources are for Japanese words, so although you could use them to study Kanji, they won't help you in increasing your Chinese vocabulary.

Tell them to Google for some Chinese resources or Google it for them otherwise they're probably going to needlessly create misunderstandings for themselves.

你他妈的黑鬼

Chinese is different than Japanese. Japanese resources won't help him.

Thanks. What about the second Kanji in this image?

Fuck. I guess I get thrown off by the middle line, it looks like it could be a small ロ

You should learn stroke order, it will help you understand why they look like that.

actually not as hard as everybody keeps saying

For my New Year's resolution, I'm going to (not) learn Japanese.

That second bubble really downplays the reaction.

(Not be able to) would've been more fitting but I didn't want to bother reposting it.

I'm doing user's package and I'm wondering how long I should do kana before moving to the next step. I've done the Anki for a little over a week and I haven't gotten any new cards in several days.

Until you know what they mean without looking it up.

That means you finished the deck. You don't have to spend a lot of time on kana, it's easy.

It looks like they combined the middle stroke and the bottom stroke into one stroke there. To me it clearly looks like a "2" shape.

It's mimicking a brush stroke that didn't completely leave the paper between the second to last and last stroke of the kanji.

Exactly, isn't that the same as combining both strokes into one? One stroke ends after you lift the pen/brush, right?

I was just going into more detail.

Wow, that last one is wild. Doesn't look anything like it.

What a perfect coincidence, have a great year, everybody!

正月

If you think that's bad, wait till you see actual cursive fonts. The right is supposed to be equivalent to the left.

The kana themselves are derivatives of kanji, though with a lot of them you'd never be able to tell.

The top of the cursive version of 草 totally looks like る for some reason. I don't even understand how it's possible.

I was thinking the same thing, that's why I brought it up. Turns out る was derived from 留 though.

Why does 受ける have the meaning of accept in the 2k/6kdeck? checked both jisho and tangorin and can't find out why.

The last one is made for the sole reason of fucking with people.
Nips knew how to generational shitpost.

受ける is one of the words that can mean a zillion things depending on the context, like 取る, つける, etc. Hopefully there are only a few of them and they're pretty frequent, so you'll probably figure them out sooner or later, just know that the word on one side of the card->meaning on the other scheme doesn't really work for this type of words.

I gotta say, that kana invaders really helps when it comes to memorization. Any other games like it? It's crazy how much more I'm learning now that I'm doing things the right way.

かける is another one.

Kana is easy to memorize no matter what.

Can someone translate this short hentai manga for me? It's based on that one hentai game, Teaching Feeling. I'd do it myself, but I don't know how type in Japanese characters (I only have a Latin keyboard) or even look up kanji I never seen before.

If it were in text, I could easily throw it into google translate for a quick & shoddy translation. I can't do the same via images alone…

djtguide.neocities.org/resource guide.html#Useful Learning Tools

Here, maybe you can learn something from this.

どうも昨日からシルヴィの様子がおかしい
アリトルフ氏の娘の診察をした後だったろうか
「…シルヴィ…入るぞ…」
「あっ…」
声が上擦っている
「あの…」
「すっ…すみません…」
「わたしっ今日は具合が悪くて…」
シルヴィが嘘をつく時の癖だ
「お前っ…どうしたんだその傷跡!?」
「……」

「見せてみろ」
何で…こんな…
…あれは…?
行商人が売り歩くような粗悪な薬品ー
こんなものを使ったらかえって…
「ごめん…なさい…」
「街で…傷跡がきれいになる薬だって言われて…」
「でも全然キレイにならなくて…」
そうか…昨日私が診察の時同じ年頃の娘の肌を綺麗だと褒めたから…
「…すまなかった」

「お前の気持ちにちゃんと気付いてやれなかったな」
「でもお前はお前だ」
「だからもうこんなことはするな」
「先生…」
「はい…」
「…んっ」

「…先生」
「わたし…最近夢ができたんです」
「こんな身体だから…」
「叶うかどうかわからないけど…」
「でも…いつか…」
「いつか先生と…わたしの…」
「んっ?」
「いえ…やっぱり何でもないです」
「おいおい…」
「気になるじゃないか言いなさい」
「だめです叶うまでは秘密です…♥」

Wow, it was as sweet and loving as I expected it to be. Thank you so much, user!

ノー・プロブレム

Is it a Teaching Feeling doujin?

Barely skimmed the post and just looked at the pictures. Sorry.

new thread